E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

8.2

1. BrazilGarcia
    Mar 30, 2002
    Unlike all the listed critics, I never saw this as a child. Watching it for the first time as an adult makes for a pretty boring two hours. A 97 score? Come on.
  2. K.S.
    Mar 27, 2002
    When I first watched ET as a young teen, I think I was the only person in the theater laughing instead of crying. Even at that age, I found it to be cliche and not really that meaningful. It doesn't beat Wizard of Oz for allegory and myth.
  3. YoonMinC.
    Sep 29, 2003
    That the young and gawky Spielberg may have alleviated his lonely childhood with dreams of befriending space aliens is kinda touching. But, did he really have to infuse his inane suburbia-bred silliness with all the sanctimonious messianism of the Holy Roman Church? Some turd shaped frog from outerspace befriends a misunderstood kid named Elliot, and, oh my, the big bad government is out That the young and gawky Spielberg may have alleviated his lonely childhood with dreams of befriending space aliens is kinda touching. But, did he really have to infuse his inane suburbia-bred silliness with all the sanctimonious messianism of the Holy Roman Church? Some turd shaped frog from outerspace befriends a misunderstood kid named Elliot, and, oh my, the big bad government is out to get them. The brown frog dies, is resurrected, and returns to heaven. Was mankind saved? No, but it was milked worse than by any unscrupulous televangelist. Expand
  4. Aug 28, 2014
    E.T. is extremely thin--it pretends to be a much more heartwarming and spectacular than it actually is. I've found it difficult to emotionally connect and am unimpressed with Spielberg's attempt at creating fantastic science-fiction.
  5. Apr 17, 2015
    I can definitely see the appeal of E.T. and the nostalgia of it. But, as a child of the 90s, I never saw E.T. until I was older. It is not my favorite Spielberg film, but is definitely worth the watch.

1. Reviewed by: Dave Kehr
    Jun 2, 2016
    Though marred by Spielberg's usual carelessness with narrative points, the film alternates sweetness and sarcasm with enough rhetorical sophistication to be fairly irresistible.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 2, 2016
    Spielberg has always shown a penchant for overt manipulation, but nowhere is this more obvious than in E.T., where he pulls out all the stops in an effort to bleed tears from the eyes of every audience member. It doesn't take a cynical nature to recognize what the director is doing. [2002 re-release]
  3. Reviewed by: Moira Macdonald
    Jun 2, 2016
    Yes, the film does strum the heartstrings a bit too emphatically toward the end, by cranking up Williams' music and giving us perhaps one tear too many, but that's a minor quibble. When Elliott and his friends soar on their bicycles, like flying Peter Pans who must soon grow up, it's as touching and note-perfect a moment as any in the movies. [2002 re-release]