Universal Pictures | Release Date: June 11, 1982
8.3
Universal acclaim based on 361 Ratings
WATCH NOW
EpicLadySpongeJan 5, 2016
They all say this is a family-friendly movie. Indeed it is. One of the greatest movies in history also has one of the worst video games in history which is quite disappointing.
SpangleFeb 28, 2017
One day, people will eventually realize that E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is a bad movie. I did not like it as a child and could not stand it as an adult. Truly a timeless disaster. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial certainly stands as a testament toOne day, people will eventually realize that E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is a bad movie. I did not like it as a child and could not stand it as an adult. Truly a timeless disaster. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial certainly stands as a testament to how little I can stand children in films. The kids in this film are universally grating and deserve to be run over with a steamroller. In particular, Drew Barrymore plays the annoying little snitch of a little sister and she does nothing scream in a high-pitched little kid scream and it drove me mad. Alongside her, Henry Thomas plays an annoying ten-year-old who apparently was tasked with, along with the rest of his class, to kill frogs for dissection. Absolutely wild. When I dissected frogs in high school, they were dead already. We did not have to kill them ourselves. Are these the horror stories of growing up that will be told by people that were young in the 1980s? Instead of having to walk up and down hill in a driving blizzard, they had to kill frogs with chloroform and then cut them up. Predictable, lacking wonder and magic, and simply overly manipulative and sentimental, E.T. is yet another 1980s childhood classic that I hate, joining esteemed company with Gremlins (why does that woman want to kill the dog) and The Goonies (where did they find all these annoying little screamers in the 80s).

The film is simply unfunny, in spite of attempts to be funny. Scenes of E.T. getting drunk and having some weird connection with Elliott (Thomas) that makes him drunk and kiss a girl with a fat kid serving as a lift for the shorter Elliott are creepy. Now, it is in line with E.T. as a whole who is creepily designed and then lures Elliott in with candy. Slow your roll, pervert. Add in the alcohol that gives him the guts to kiss a girl and the film has worrying messages about drinking and candy from strangers. A series of reaction shots towards the end of the boys on bicycles making weird faces as they fly are also incredibly grating and seem like something out of Tommy Wiseau's The Room instead of an alleged childhood classic. The only part of the movie that is funny is when Michael (Robert MacNaughton) finds E.T. burning in the sun and a raccoon was clearly hanging around and possibly eating E.T. That still makes me laugh.

The film is also quite cliched in its plotting with the kids all doubting Elliott, the kids getting behind Elliott, the mom freaking out, and then the adults who do not understand E.T. or kids get in the way and "kill" him. Even worse, the astronauts just bust into the home like common cat burglars. They are coming in from every window in a honestly surreal sequence that feels like something out of Blue Velvet and not a Spielberg film. Even worse, the scene where E.T. dies (unfortunate, since Elliott is saved as a result and yells, gratingly, in agony) is obviously a fake out as we just wait Elliott to go over and save him with the power of love. Wrapped up with a similarly sentimental ending, E.T. is merely a manipulative film that uses emotions regarding death and the loss of a parent to adultery as a gateway to trying and getting people to cry. It has no sense of wonder or magic in its own story, just sappy emotions and sentimentality that feel unearned with a hollow emotional core in the film.

The only source of any magic and wonder is the score from John Williams, which admittedly sounds good, but it entirely used as a crutch. The characters have to literally scream over the score with Williams' music sounding more akin to the Oscars playing somebody off the stage during the acceptance speech than a film score. Constantly telling the audience how to fell and single-handedly trying to make the film feel wondrous as a celebration of childhood and imagination, the score just does not work in this film because of bad mixing. It just distracts too much and tries to manipulate the audience into buying the sentimental and sappy emotions of the plot and dialogue. It nearly works and has made many people cry, but for those not buying the plot and dialogue, the score just becomes massively annoying with the score constantly getting louder and louder.

With a creepy connection between a boy and the alien at the center of this film, a lack of originality, a predictable plot, annoying child actors, a score that is too loud, no comedy, no wonder, and no magic, E.T. is a disaster of a childhood film. It may appeal to the vast majority of people, but I desperately wanted this thing to end. The adults being the bad guys because they do not let kids run all over the earth acting like **** is a truly annoying trope and this film relies upon it quite heavily. All in all, this film may have some fun special effects and is glorious in its 1980s cheese while being mildly entertaining, but it largely falls flat and is hardly an enjoyable experience due to the litany of issues it has.
MovieGuysApr 2, 2014
Heartwarming as it is, E.T. is a little bit too over the top. Although it is a good movie, it could be better, and is a little bit too predictable to be called Spielberg's best film.
beingryanjudeAug 28, 2014
E.T. is extremely thin--it pretends to be a much more heartwarming and spectacular than it actually is. I've found it difficult to emotionally connect and am unimpressed with Spielberg's attempt at creating fantastic science-fiction.
csw12Sep 2, 2012
E.T is an enriching and emotional film that takes another side of aliens. It can become slightly drawn out and boring but for the most part is a wonderful story of a relationship between a boy and an alien.
lukechristianscOct 8, 2014
This is one classic films its been a long time since i watched this film it was just mysterious and it is weird when its been a long time since you saw et it was freaky. You watch it again and its shocking as you get older watching the filmThis is one classic films its been a long time since i watched this film it was just mysterious and it is weird when its been a long time since you saw et it was freaky. You watch it again and its shocking as you get older watching the film again. I love the story and to be honest it had been the best movie to be directed by Steven Speilberg since after his most ambitious film ( Jaws). Steven Speilberg is the best film maker he has a filmmakers eye in adventure films.( Indiana Jones , Catch me if you can , Saving private ryan). Grade A+ Expand
ZilcellMay 28, 2012
If you despise this then you are probably souless. Its a truely fun family movie, one that could be watched over and over by anybody who loves movies.
MovieLonely94Oct 20, 2010
E.T. is an heartwarming family hit and it will cherrish moviegoers of all ages.
eagleeyevikingSep 9, 2016
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is a heartwarming, simplistic tale for families to enjoy. It packs an emotional punch but is also fun throughout its runtime.
FuturedirectorJun 9, 2016
With a magnificent direction, talented cast, funny jokes and stunts, interesting story-telling, suspense-packed moments, dramatic parts and an unforgettable message of true friendship and love, so every kind of viewer would get connectedWith a magnificent direction, talented cast, funny jokes and stunts, interesting story-telling, suspense-packed moments, dramatic parts and an unforgettable message of true friendship and love, so every kind of viewer would get connected with, E.T. becomes one of the bests films ever made. Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 29, 2017
I loved this. The story is powerful, well written, and funny. The characters are well acted, which was surprising. Overall, it was a pretty good experience for all.
drlowdonJun 24, 2017
When an alien lifeform becomes stranded on Earth he forms an unlikely friendship with a young boy who will do anything to help him return home.

I’m sure there can’t be many people who haven’t, if not seen, at least heard about this movie and it remains amongst the best family movies of all time featuring some truly iconic cinematic scenes. And who didn’t shed a tear at the end!?
SEROJMar 6, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With few boring and unnecessary scenes. "Extra-Terrestrial" is a good movie with great message! Home is home and no matter where you are, you'll never abandon it! Expand
MasterRileyJul 20, 2016
Magical. ET is one of my favourite films of all time. It has great casting, great performances, great direction, AMAZING music (John Williams), an emotional story, and great comedy.
Iky009Jan 4, 2014
Com o tempo passou e ainda Et se matém magistral diante de um tempo onde o cinema não se preocupa mais com qualidade. São esse filmes que fará a magia do cinema eterna.
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Alien life lands on earth to collect plants, gets left behind, befriends some kids, authorities find out, flying BMXs
Spielberg feel-good film with inevitable sad moments along the way. Thought ET was done pretty well but I was watching the 20th Anniversary version & I believe SS has gone back & tweaked some scenes George Lucas style.
The kids are great in it & I don't think Drew Barrymore has been as good in anything else. Also a mention for the excellent score by John Williams.
Muskrat147Jul 26, 2016
Featuring one-of-a-kind performances from its leads, E.T. hits home with its wonderfully crafted (and written) story-line that centers around a non-human character who is filled with so much human emotion and charm.
aaronpaul121May 30, 2012
One of the best sci-fi movies of all time....... period
Potter17Dec 9, 2011
When I was nine years old and watched E.T, I felt I would not see so soon any other film so rewarding and satisfying. Since then, 9 years have passed but my opinion has not changed.
SythusRATINGSOct 18, 2014
Steven Spielberg's classic tale of an extra-terrestrial who is accidentally left behind on earth and befriends a young boy and his family in a heart warming story.
Jollyjoe1000Dec 15, 2015
It is a speilberg classic and it is a interesting idea and mind like after jaws you would think he would stick to r rated movies,but he has a kidfreindly side.
JunelKeanJun 26, 2017
The ideas revolving around the fascinated mind of Steven Spielberg unleashes one of the most significant and influential fantasy movies ever made. Together with Eliott (Thomas), Gertie (Barrymore) and Michael (MacNaughton), the beloved spaceThe ideas revolving around the fascinated mind of Steven Spielberg unleashes one of the most significant and influential fantasy movies ever made. Together with Eliott (Thomas), Gertie (Barrymore) and Michael (MacNaughton), the beloved space alien, E.T. embarks on an unforgettable adventure to reach home with the most unexpected things.

This film is a beautiful journey of the heartwarming and soul-filled friendship between the kids and E.T. It also features iconic scenes that captivated the world in its magical way. It is an endearingly optimistic film, with a perfect musical score from John Williams and a powerful screenplay from Melissa Mathison. But the biggest praise this movie deserves is the ability to connect to all generations by its themes.

VERDICT: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial is a timeless film with truly memorable moments. Additionally, it fortifies the filmography of Spielberg and strengthens the pillars of science-fiction and fantasy.
JawsLaxerDramaDec 21, 2012
A heartwarming family adventure, E.T. for once, is not an alien who eats people who tries to destroy planets or whatever. This is a picture of youth, courage, and an absolute testament to the childlike wonder. I LOVE this movie. There's onlyA heartwarming family adventure, E.T. for once, is not an alien who eats people who tries to destroy planets or whatever. This is a picture of youth, courage, and an absolute testament to the childlike wonder. I LOVE this movie. There's only 2 flaws:
1) It is a bit long, (but it had to be to tell the story)
2) The first 4 minutes are absolutely boring.
NShep53Apr 17, 2015
I can definitely see the appeal of E.T. and the nostalgia of it. But, as a child of the 90s, I never saw E.T. until I was older. It is not my favorite Spielberg film, but is definitely worth the watch.
JacobparkerMay 20, 2013
No movie is sweeter.
No science fiction movie is funnier.
No one is sadder.
E.T. will always be a masterpiece.
A very lovely movie! A film for the whole family.
MetallicCriticDec 13, 2011
Not quite a master piece but for sure an instant classic. I enjoyed this film throughout. The film did lack a bit in the acting. It seemed to me like Henry Thomas needed an acting coach. But for a young child he did essentially well. NeverNot quite a master piece but for sure an instant classic. I enjoyed this film throughout. The film did lack a bit in the acting. It seemed to me like Henry Thomas needed an acting coach. But for a young child he did essentially well. Never the least, the rest was spot on. The plot enlightened me. It messed with my emotions. It made me feel like a child again. The film contained many important contributions to plot build up. Especially the part when Elliott was at school and connected to E.T. My most favorite part of the film was the bike ride. Or should I say bike flight. It just might be one of my favorite scenes in cinematic history. It made me believe I too could fly on a bike. Okay, not really because I am aware that it is just a movie. But I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. I highly recommend this film to anyone and everyone. To parents reading this you might want to show this to your kids because it's great for the imagination. I'm pretty sure that penis breath could escape there mind. Expand
MariofanFeb 21, 2015
This was a great movie. WAAY better than that crappy game for Atari 2600. The storyline was nice. The characters were great. The dialogue was good. E.T. phone home. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial is a great film for all ages and you should watchThis was a great movie. WAAY better than that crappy game for Atari 2600. The storyline was nice. The characters were great. The dialogue was good. E.T. phone home. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial is a great film for all ages and you should watch it if you haven't. You're awesome Speilberg! Expand
BeastprogamerFeb 26, 2015
Never seen this movie but there is one thing I gotta say: THE MOVIE IS WAAAAAYYY BETTER than this Atari 2600 game. E.T. A2600 is absolute s***! No joke.
moviemaniacsMar 6, 2016
At their best, both Spielberg and Lucas make idealized versions of the kinds of films they loved as kids, in the process furnishing this generation’s filmgoers with visual treats of unprecedented skill and sophistication. Despite theAt their best, both Spielberg and Lucas make idealized versions of the kinds of films they loved as kids, in the process furnishing this generation’s filmgoers with visual treats of unprecedented skill and sophistication. Despite the continual presence of the little Yoda-like creature, “E.T.” is not first and foremost an effects picture, but rather a charming “Twilight Zone”-like fable which reminds by turns of “The Wizard of Oz,” “Mary Poppins,” a benign switch on “King Kong” and a variation of Spielberg’s own “Close Encounters.”

Opening sequence actually comes off like a repeat of “Close Encounters”‘ final frames, as a sizeable spaceship takes off just before some earthly authorities are able to close in on it. One of its occupants gets left behind, however, and the viewer is instantly sympathetic with its plight in the threateningly different environment of a modern California subdivision.

E.T. is highly fortunate to be found by young Henry Thomas who, after some understandable initial fright, takes the ‘goblin’ in, first as a sort of pet and then as a friend he must guard against the more preying elements of human society. Over time, Thomas teaches E.T. how to talk and includes his older brother (Robert MacNaughton) and younger sister (Drew Barrymore) in on the secret, even as he manages to hide his discovery from his mother (Dee Wallace).

Ultimately, of course, the official representatives of society locate E.T., which seems to occasion a rapid decline in its health until it appears to die. When it revives, Thomas marshals his friends into a kids’ commando squad to spirit E.T. back to the spaceship which is on its way to a rescue rendezvous.

First element which had to work to insure film’s success was E.T. itself. As superlatively created by Carlo Rambaldi, the creature manages to project both a wondrous childlike quality and a sense of superior powers. Cutely awkward in its movements, the being has rubbery brown skin, an extendable neck and possesses eyes which dilate on cue. It even gets to play a drunk scene, perhaps a first for screen aliens. Assuredly not lost on those involved with the film are the opportunities for E.T.-related toys and dolls, which are enormous.

An amusing sidelight to the tale is that the action takes place in a suburban household almost identical to that in the Spielberg-produced “Poltergeist,” which leads to the thought that the two, distinctly different stories could be unfolding in neighboring homes simultaneously. In fact, many of the motifs in the early going are similar to those in “Poltergeist”–the middle-class family, the blonde dog, goldfish, people glaring into bright lights in awe and disbelief.

But “E.T.” will surely prove an embraceable film by the general public. Rarely has a picture so completely evinced a kid’s p.o.v. and shown the complicity of youngsters against adults. It’s been said that the only people who don’t like Disneyland are late adolescents who feel too hip to enjoy the pleasures of their earlier years, and the same will probably hold true for “E.T.”

As can be expected for Spielberg and the Industrial Light & Magic shop, the technical effects are state-of-the-art superb. Enough cannot be said for John Williams’ score, which stands as a model of film composing–although it is almost continually present it’s also practically unnoticeable, so well does it both complement and further the events onscreen.

As far as the performances go, the key was finding three kids who could respond with both innocence and gumption to the arrival of E.T. All fulfill the requirements, and Thomas is perfect in the lead, playing the childhood equivalent of Spielberg’s everyman heroes of his previous pics.

There are some unsatisfactory elements–slow spots occur during the middle stretch, the mild anti-establishment stance is getting to be a bit cliche and one never knows whether E.T.’s mortal illness is physical or psychological in nature, or both. But, as with “Close Encounters,” the truly lovely and moving ending more than makes up for everything. Chalk up another smash for Spielberg.
ZawMineMay 12, 2015
E.T is undeniably one of the best family movie that I've ever seen. E.T is one of the greatest achievement in cinema history. It is a masterpiece made by the one and only Steven Spielberg. And it gets 10 out of 10.