8.8

1. Apr 12, 2011
    The concept for Eternal Sunshine is simply incredible. Unfortunately, the narrative isn't. The love story should feel genuine, but it never gets fully fleshed out due to subplots that constantly get in the way of Joel's (Jim Carrey) story arc. However, with strong performances from all cast members, interesting visuals and a great soundtrack, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is worth a watch, at the very least. Expand
  2. Jun 8, 2011
    This film is wondrously creative, entertaining, clever and thought-provoking. It's based on an interesting premise, it's artistically shot and edited, and the story is told in an ingeniously innovative way. But this isn't half the reason it's so good. At it's heart, it's a brilliantly acted bittersweet love story that avoids all cliches, feels uncannily real and ultimately engages the viewer emotionally on so many levels (which is rare for a Kaufman film, despite the guy's obvious artistic talent). I know a lot of people don't like Jim Carrey that much because he's been in a lot of rubbish stuff, but the guy can certainly act when given the opportunity, and Kate Winslet is simply brilliant. Together they make a wondrously believable couple that I've never stopped to question for an instant. Overall, one of my favorite all time films and an amazing cinematic achievement. Don't miss out on this! Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a heartfelt, funny, emotionally powerful, original, heartbreaking, piece of art. It features great performances from Winslet and Carrey, and offers a nice, sweet, fresh, twist on a regular romantic comedy. I give this movie 96%.
  4. Jun 15, 2013
    There are so few perfect movies. This is one of them. One of my all time favorite movies. So funny yet intelligent and romantic. It gets better every time you watch it.
  5. Oct 2, 2013
    This movie was amazing! I loved the characters and I thought it was a refreshing change of romantic comedy. It really toughed base with the meaning behind a thoughtful relationship between one really odd couple. This movie really does express the meaning behind two opposites attract.
  6. Aug 14, 2010
    It seems like the movies I enjoy might not have the absolute best acting or plot, but are unique in a number of ways or make me think. This movie is no different. Not perfect, but a really good movie.
  7. Oct 17, 2010
    Jim Carey is no Ace Ventura, he is a real and serious actor with enduring qualities. In Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind he shows this in an abundance. The story is just as good as well. It has enough real emotion to keep you hooked and enough dreamy sequence to keep your mind ticking over long after you have finished. That nightmarish image of The Melting Face reminds us we must keep memory...for it's all we have. Cinema that would make God happy. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2010
    a truly unique way of saying that we love who we love, and there isn't much we can do about it. filmed very cleverly, giving the viewer a new experience of the human psyche. a beautiful piece of film, and jim carey is so much better when he's not trying to be funny
  9. Oct 11, 2010
    Just spellbinding. It's a while to build up and the wait is worth every second. Michel Gondry's direction is on top-form and brilliantly accompanied with a beautiful score and a precise screenplay. The story seems to go off astray but for some reason, that's one of its best qualities. Jim Carrey is at his best since The Truman Show and thoroughly gives a performance that will be remembered for years. But the carpet from under his feet is Kate Winslet who delivers yet another monumental performance. This is my favourite role she's played because she played someone modern and she was funny at times. PLEASE, more Kate Winslet comedies. I rather liked Kirsten Dunst as the quirky receptionist who quotes Alexander Pope but underneath lies a secret unbeknownst to her. This is probably the best film of 2004 and one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  10. Feb 2, 2011
    This movie works on so many levels: love story, comedy, sci-fi, fantasy. It's one that I've watched several times and go something more out of it each time. It's surprising, and yet it all *makes sense*.
  11. Sep 7, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the best 'romantic' movie ever made. It's got genius writing, superb acting and deft directing. Despite it's sci-fi overtones, the movie feels incredibly authentic. It's heartbreaking and full of redemptive catharsis. I don't really have the words to put across how moving and brilliant this film is. One of my favorites of all time.
  12. Jan 10, 2011
    Did you ever fall in love so deeply and then you just broke up with her/him? That is the feeling you got from watching thiz film. The feeling about how you fall in love with her, and later you realize that time would never come back again. Starred by Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Rufallo, and Kirsten Dunst. Directed by French Director, Michel Gondry. Gondry is one of the directors who always brings some absurd stories as his features (such as: THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP (2006), that also I like very much). The story is about how you dreams your past and you can actually feel it as just happens at the present time. Sometimes it happens based on what you remember. Thiz is interesting part, in one of the scene, the two characters (Carrey and Winslet) had interaction with each other but they surrounded by people who had plain/blank face, coz the Carey character don not remember how the people look like, so the scene describes it people with plain/blank face. Director was so lucky to got Carey and Winslet in appropriate time, Carey just desperately wants some serious drama beside his role always known as comedian, and Winslet wants to prove her truly acting skill after TITANIC (1997). Thiz Movie maybe not contains an extraordinary storyline, but can effectively reflects very well the description about how the event occurred.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  13. Feb 1, 2011
    A perfect concept wrapped around great performances. Kate Winslet, as usual, is spectacular. Anybody who has been in a relationship full of hills and valleys will appreciate this movie and shed a tear or two by the end. A movie to be filed under "original and thought provoking".
  14. Apr 3, 2011
    A beautiful, emotional, and completely enjoyable film on all levels. Jim Carrey will make you laugh like he always has. As a matter of fact, every member of the cast accomplishes this on some level, which is wonderful. But the film also has a strong emotional heart. I won't say that I didn't see the ending coming from fairly early on, but that's ok, because I enjoyed getting to that ending anyway. Perhaps my favorite part is that they don't answer the question the characters propose at the ending. Because, in all honesty, nobody knows the answer. Expand
  15. Apr 6, 2011
    There are those movies that provide you with two hours of mind-numbing entertainment, and then there are those movies that can change your view on life and human emotions while still providing you with two hours of entertainment. This movie belongs to the latter category.
  16. May 19, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies without a doubt. I never tire of watching it. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are absolutely terrific together and I cry every time I see it. There is very little wrong with the film.
  17. May 25, 2011
    Easily, 2004's best film. Charlie Kaufman delivers us his best script yet, Kate Winslet's amazing acting is probably the biggest highlight of the movie and surprisingly Jim Carrey's acting is not that horrible.
    although the film is pure beauty it seems rather cheap for a 20,000,000$ movie.
  18. May 9, 2012
    An emotional film with important themes and a writer who has once again created a masterpiece. The film is a rejuvination of an exhausted genre. A funny thought provoking deeply sad RomCom. Jim Carrey's performance is also very memorable because of it's dramatic and comedic effect.
  19. Jul 16, 2013
    Entertaining romantic movie with a Jim Carrey that doesn't disappoint. I'm on fan of Jim Carrey but watching him in a more serious role is quite refreshing. The movie tends to drag a bit towards the end but overall I'd say it's a good watch for anyone who is looking for a romantic movie with some humour and a thought-provoking theme.

They should have probably explored the science and
    ethics behind the subject of erasing memories but that would have made it stray too much from its romantic subject matter, no doubt. Expand
  20. Aug 1, 2011
    Enchanting and emotionally-tapping comedy/drama that really made my top movies list. Its story is also one that is...ironically realistic which is all the more touching.
  21. Aug 17, 2011
    Perfect. Favourite movie of all time. Showing a deeper and brilliant side to Jim Carrey that is lost with most of his hollywood comedies. Kate Winslet played the eccentric and irrational role of Clementine amazingly. Clever and thoughtful.
  22. Jan 4, 2012
    Please do not be scared of this film by those ignorant reviews saying that this film is "too artsy" or "to complicated". That is absolute bulls**t. This is one of the best films I've ever seen so I strongly advise everyone to watch it.
  23. Mar 14, 2013
    This was just a delight. It was clever, it was original and it was downright emotional on so many levels that that have made this a timeless classic.
    Eternal Sunshine tells the story of socially awkward Joel (Jim Carrey), who is detached from his surroundings and everything going on around him, until he meets Clementine (Kate Winslet), a confrontational and free spirited woman who he
    immediately hits if off with, simply because their worlds couldn't be further apart.
    The film is told in a very much non-linear fashion, and this is set up through the apparent break-up of the happy couple, Joel soon learns that Clementine has forgotten who Joel is, she did this through getting her memory of him erased by Lacuna, a company which deals in this.
    Joel eventually decides to do the same thing and is told the process is done while he sleeps.
    What follows is the true shining moment of the film, as Joel visits happier times with Clementine, to which we soon realise all is not as it seems.
    The supporting cast includes Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood as technicians who carry out the erase part, Kirsten Dunst as the Lacuna receptionist and Tom Wilkinson as the Lacuna doctor, Howard Mierzwiak.
    These characters, however, hold their own unique secrets and revelations that truly create a wonderful piece of cinema.
    Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are simply fantastic as Joel and Clementine and it was wonderful to see these two step out of their comfort zone, Carrey the awkward and unfunny man, and Winslet the free and crude woman. The messages which are put across heighten the beauty and dramatic context of the film that never lets go of the wheel.
    The pace of the story may leave some confused, but this is where the film truly becomes unique, there are so many elements of surprise and so many heart wrenching moments that succeed in creating a truly unique masterpiece, full of colourful scenes and artistic filmmaking that push the film further than many other love stories.
    Its not surprising for many to say that this is one of their favourite films, there is enough drama to last a lifetime and enough talent to surpass your expectations in this flawless gem.
  24. Apr 9, 2012
    I cannot describe in words how amazing and beautiful this movie truly is. You have to see for yourself. A movie that I will come back to time and time again throughout my life.
  25. Jan 5, 2012
    My favourtie movie of all time. Everything about it is brilliant. It never gets old no matter how many times you watch it. The order in which the stoy is done is remarkable and makes for a very captivating movie. The soundtrack is just magnificent. It is a truly unique story about love and loss. I've never seen anything quite like it or half as good.
  26. Feb 20, 2012
    Marvellous! Jim carrey proves us than he can be more than a clown. The plot is creative. I can't believe that we were waiting for something as awful as 'the green lantern'' from Gondry afterward, such a waste of talent.
  27. Aug 20, 2012
    Just watched the movie like 20 minutes ago and its took me this long to figure out how good this movie really is. I dont know what to describe it as. So I will leave saying that you cant be narrow minded to watch this movie open your mind. And then you will appreciate the quality of the movie.
  28. Feb 1, 2013
    There is no way anyone could deny just how unique, clever, and original this movie is. The story and the characters are just so fresh, and while I don't think the movie is as ingenious as everyone proclaims, it is certainly a fine piece of cinema.
  29. Sep 2, 2013
    I'm usually not really digging melodramatic-oriented movies, but this one is pretty touching and it was really interesting for me. I believe that a little bit of fiction makes this one so amazing. the cast is great, Carrey and Winslet made some memorable characters, others are awesome too. The storyline has some twists closer to the end, so yeah, I can recommend this movie to anyone because it's really worth watching. Expand
  30. Sep 13, 2012
    A really nice movie. You have to watch it at least 3 times to understand it fully. It's incredible the effort that the director put into this film...
  31. Nov 15, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine offers a traditional love story, while constantly throwing new ideas and brilliant invention at us. It's one of the most original movies ever made, yet it's also classic in the touching way it connects the two lovers.
  32. Jan 6, 2014
    Um dos romances mais belos e originais dos Ășltimos anos
  33. Dec 4, 2012
    The serious Jim Carrey definetly payed off. This film was amazing. The science, the script, the cinametography, and the acting was incredible. Especially with a mostly comedian cast. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were the best screen couple of the year and we extremely psycho yet wonderful characters. An Easy A+.
  34. Sep 17, 2013
    What can I say? The movie was cast brilliantly. Jim Carrey can act, and so can Kate Winslet. Kirsten Dunst turns out a rare performance where I wasn't disappointed with her. It was a pleasant surprise to see Mark Ruffalo in his character. The plot flows seamlessly. Two people, who are far from perfect, in love with each other. And the psychological hurdles they face to hold onto each others' memories. I'm glad I got to watch a psychological thriller with a laid-back, humorous tone. One of those gems of movies you shouldn't miss at any cost. Expand
  35. Jun 8, 2013
    So perfect! Brilliant in every way...the script, concept, editing, direction, cast, characters, acting (especially Winslet and Dunst)... I honestly could not have asked for anything more from this film. Nominated for 2 Academy Awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Actress, this film is certainly one of the absolute best films of 2004! Incredible film! One of my all time favorites.
  36. Jan 5, 2013
    My favorite movie of all time! The script of Kaufman will make you turn in your chair with emotion and feel the beauty of relationships. The direction is Gondry at his best. He simply follows them around during dramatic scenes and uses cinematic symbolism to show the mood. The script jumps through twists and turns until you feel happy and sad at the same time. Jim Carrey will never win an Oscar due to the fact that the Oscar's will never give a nomination to the guy who was in Dumb and Dumber but him and Winslett deliver powerhouse performances that carry the movies low budget shots. Watch you will not regret it. Expand
  37. Feb 2, 2013
    I can't write in words or explain how good this film actually is. Eternal Sunshine is a heartwarming film with such an original, intriguing narrative that will have you gripped in the first ten minutes. The film gives such a twist on a conventional romcom and I was baffled at how 'serious' yet still likeable Jim Carrey played the main character. Just.... watch it.
  38. Mar 3, 2013
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!The world forgetting, by the world forgot.Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
  39. Jul 27, 2013
    This is easily in my top 3 favorite movies. It's a good story about destiny and how powerful the heart truly is. I tear up every time I see this and for good reason. I have heavily recommended this to all of my friends and always will
  40. Apr 11, 2013
    Such a deep and heartfelt movie is rare today. Jim Carrey's acting is fantastic. A masterpiece.
  41. Aug 7, 2013
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is a story about a couple who obviously don't get well with each other and so the women goes to a doctor who can erase her memories of the men. When the men learns about that he wants to do it too. It is an interesting idea but in the beginning the film is too complicated, strange rare and hard to understand which will confuse many people. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet were amazing and that surprised me as I am used to see Jim Carrey only in comedies. The cinematography is amazing as well as the direction of that film but it is a little bit confusing which is something I really didn't like. Yes it it touching and passes the message that we have to give a second chance to some people. But it is still over complicated for the kind of these films yet it is a new idea. Expand
  42. Jun 28, 2013
    One of my least favorite movies ever. The message is stupid. Watching it once was painful enough. All the actors should kiss their careers goodbye. I hated everything about it.
  43. Sep 19, 2013
    An imaginative and unique work of art. This films cast delivers their comedic dialogue perfectly, along with stunning imagery and visuals, phenomenal acting, touching and heartbreaking moments, a breathtaking soundtrack, and a masterful script. With its unclear ending and its "easter eggs" that you find throughout the film, "Eternal Sunshine" has you asking questions and coming to conclusions the likes of which may go forever unanswered. The abundance of melancholy in the air just makes the movie so much better. The characters are some of the most personable and lovable characters I have seen since "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower." Their personalities consist of many traits that are noticeable, but one of those traits is over exaggerated to the point of making seem like caricatures, which makes their problems seem so much more important, making them so much more relatable, making them seem like long lost family members, which makes their emotions just so important to you. Emotional preparation is mandatory before watching this film. There are some scenes that just break your heart, it's just called good filmmaking. This beautiful film has put it's mark on cinema forever and will be always known as an instant classic. Its a masterpiece. Expand
  44. Dec 31, 2013
    When into the movie without much expectations, and it completely floored me. This movie was just incredible, every actor played their part perfectly and the creativity and artistic talent that went into making this movie is astounding. I'm not usually one for romance movies but damn you have to watch this, never seen a movie like it.
  45. Oct 10, 2013
    Possibly the greatest romance movie ever. Incredibly touching, with a well thought out plot. This movie makes you think, It makes you relate, even if you don't want to. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet put on a performance that is outstanding, you don't even question their mismatched relationship because its so authentic. A must see movie for everyone.
  46. Feb 10, 2014
    touching. it is my one favorite film from my favorite films. I can suggest this film If you want to leave your home and go to this story. story is amazing, sometimes you will be sad but after this film you can understand some differences between real life and dreams..
  47. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind is a strange, beautiful and painful resulting in creating a masterpiece! The performances are emotive, the soundtrack is glorious, and the plot is as imaginative as beautiful. The script is surprisingly effective, all this weird creation can work as well thanks to the emotional center that gives the director to the movie making it a classic film Expand
  48. Apr 11, 2014
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is my favorite movie of all time, although it is not for everyone. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is (obviously) my favorite Jim Carrey movie and also my favorite Kate Winslet. It is also probably the best written and best edited movie I have ever seen. I love the rainy and trippy atmosphere, I love the acting, I love the soundtrack, I love how confusing and hard to follow it is, and I love how real everything feels. It is an amazing movie. And I would recommend it to everybody who can handle a trippy and confusing movie. This is my favorite movie of all time (that I have seen so far) and I would obviously give it an 8/8 Expand

1. Not only (Kaufman's) most accessible and romantic screenplay, it's his most complete. The third act works like a charm and pulls all his themes, characters and conflicts together beautifully.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    A wildly imaginative, hugely entertaining tour de force that asks big questions about life and love and fate while never ceasing to fully engage the viewer.
    Chases so many ideas that it threatens to spin out of control. But with our multiplexes stuffed with toxic Hollywood formula, it's a gift to find a ballsy movie that thinks it can do anything, and damn near does.