8.8

1. MohsenZ.
    Feb 2, 2008
    It was the most powerful film in my entire life that really made me to have its dreams in nights and was a brilliant idea for more directors. HUMAN MIND... watching 1 time is really unfair.
  2. JasonJ.
    Mar 3, 2008
    I had a chance to see this movie again in 2008 for only the second time. I saw it in the theater when it premiered 4 years earlier. What a piece of art! This movie goes deep into the heart of romantic love. It's not a love story, it's an internal examination of what love does to your mind. It's painful to watch at times because it dissects what most of us try to repress I had a chance to see this movie again in 2008 for only the second time. I saw it in the theater when it premiered 4 years earlier. What a piece of art! This movie goes deep into the heart of romantic love. It's not a love story, it's an internal examination of what love does to your mind. It's painful to watch at times because it dissects what most of us try to repress most of the time. But, if for just one moment, you allow yourself to "get into" this movie, you will have a deeper experience than you've ever had while viewing movie. Darwinian thought (as well as just about any religious thought) tells us that procreation is perhaps the most important of our human functions. Romantic love leads us in that venture and this movie delves into the most sensitive areas of that process. This film could have easily felt pseudointellectual had it not been for the way the film was shot. It looks like it was filmed inside someone's head - clausterphobic, impressionistic, etc. - all in the right balance. Expand
  3. Oct 2, 2013
    This movie was amazing! I loved the characters and I thought it was a refreshing change of romantic comedy. It really toughed base with the meaning behind a thoughtful relationship between one really odd couple. This movie really does express the meaning behind two opposites attract.
  4. TyeN.
    Oct 8, 2005
    This is by far the best movie of 2004, and one of the greatest films of all-time. Jim Carrey and Kate Wislet share a magnetic bond that evolves way past the usual chemistry in movies. They are absolutely amazing, and they were both robbed of should-be Oscars. (especially Carrey, who wasn't even nominated) This film will forever be remembered as one of the films considered a true This is by far the best movie of 2004, and one of the greatest films of all-time. Jim Carrey and Kate Wislet share a magnetic bond that evolves way past the usual chemistry in movies. They are absolutely amazing, and they were both robbed of should-be Oscars. (especially Carrey, who wasn't even nominated) This film will forever be remembered as one of the films considered a true classic from the new era of 2000 and on. Brilliant. Expand
  5. AndrewG.
    Dec 17, 2006
    Probably the most accurate, brutally honest dissection of what it is to be in love ever put to film. The concept behind the film may sound gimmicky, but it really is implemented brilliantly. A masterwork for all involved.
  6. DK.
    Dec 3, 2006
    This movie is a heartbreaker. Probably the most beautiful movie I've ever seen. Fantastic acting. Interesting story. Great soundtrack. If it doesn't move you, then you've never been in love.
  7. Jan 10, 2011
    Did you ever fall in love so deeply and then you just broke up with her/him? That is the feeling you got from watching thiz film. The feeling about how you fall in love with her, and later you realize that time would never come back again. Starred by Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Rufallo, and Kirsten Dunst. Directed by French Director, Michel Gondry. Gondry is one of the directors whoDid you ever fall in love so deeply and then you just broke up with her/him? That is the feeling you got from watching thiz film. The feeling about how you fall in love with her, and later you realize that time would never come back again. Starred by Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Mark Rufallo, and Kirsten Dunst. Directed by French Director, Michel Gondry. Gondry is one of the directors who always brings some absurd stories as his features (such as: THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP (2006), that also I like very much). The story is about how you dreams your past and you can actually feel it as just happens at the present time. Sometimes it happens based on what you remember. Thiz is interesting part, in one of the scene, the two characters (Carrey and Winslet) had interaction with each other but they surrounded by people who had plain/blank face, coz the Carey character don not remember how the people look like, so the scene describes it people with plain/blank face. Director was so lucky to got Carey and Winslet in appropriate time, Carey just desperately wants some serious drama beside his role always known as comedian, and Winslet wants to prove her truly acting skill after TITANIC (1997). Thiz Movie maybe not contains an extraordinary storyline, but can effectively reflects very well the description about how the event occurred.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  8. Feb 1, 2011
    A perfect concept wrapped around great performances. Kate Winslet, as usual, is spectacular. Anybody who has been in a relationship full of hills and valleys will appreciate this movie and shed a tear or two by the end. A movie to be filed under "original and thought provoking".
  9. Apr 6, 2011
    There are those movies that provide you with two hours of mind-numbing entertainment, and then there are those movies that can change your view on life and human emotions while still providing you with two hours of entertainment. This movie belongs to the latter category.
  10. May 19, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies without a doubt. I never tire of watching it. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are absolutely terrific together and I cry every time I see it. There is very little wrong with the film.
  11. May 25, 2011
    Easily, 2004's best film. Charlie Kaufman delivers us his best script yet, Kate Winslet's amazing acting is probably the biggest highlight of the movie and surprisingly Jim Carrey's acting is not that horrible.
    although the film is pure beauty it seems rather cheap for a 20,000,000$ movie.
  12. Jun 8, 2011
    This film is wondrously creative, entertaining, clever and thought-provoking. It's based on an interesting premise, it's artistically shot and edited, and the story is told in an ingeniously innovative way. But this isn't half the reason it's so good. At it's heart, it's a brilliantly acted bittersweet love story that avoids all cliches, feels uncannily real and ultimately engages theThis film is wondrously creative, entertaining, clever and thought-provoking. It's based on an interesting premise, it's artistically shot and edited, and the story is told in an ingeniously innovative way. But this isn't half the reason it's so good. At it's heart, it's a brilliantly acted bittersweet love story that avoids all cliches, feels uncannily real and ultimately engages the viewer emotionally on so many levels (which is rare for a Kaufman film, despite the guy's obvious artistic talent). I know a lot of people don't like Jim Carrey that much because he's been in a lot of rubbish stuff, but the guy can certainly act when given the opportunity, and Kate Winslet is simply brilliant. Together they make a wondrously believable couple that I've never stopped to question for an instant. Overall, one of my favorite all time films and an amazing cinematic achievement. Don't miss out on this! Expand
  13. Aug 17, 2011
    Perfect. Favourite movie of all time. Showing a deeper and brilliant side to Jim Carrey that is lost with most of his hollywood comedies. Kate Winslet played the eccentric and irrational role of Clementine amazingly. Clever and thoughtful.
  14. Jan 4, 2012
    Please do not be scared of this film by those ignorant reviews saying that this film is "too artsy" or "to complicated". That is absolute bulls**t. This is one of the best films I've ever seen so I strongly advise everyone to watch it.
  15. Mar 14, 2013
    This was just a delight. It was clever, it was original and it was downright emotional on so many levels that that have made this a timeless classic.
    Eternal Sunshine tells the story of socially awkward Joel (Jim Carrey), who is detached from his surroundings and everything going on around him, until he meets Clementine (Kate Winslet), a confrontational and free spirited woman who he immediately hits if off with, simply because their worlds couldn't be further apart.
    The film is told in a very much non-linear fashion, and this is set up through the apparent break-up of the happy couple, Joel soon learns that Clementine has forgotten who Joel is, she did this through getting her memory of him erased by Lacuna, a company which deals in this.
    Joel eventually decides to do the same thing and is told the process is done while he sleeps.
    What follows is the true shining moment of the film, as Joel visits happier times with Clementine, to which we soon realise all is not as it seems.
    The supporting cast includes Mark Ruffalo and Elijah Wood as technicians who carry out the erase part, Kirsten Dunst as the Lacuna receptionist and Tom Wilkinson as the Lacuna doctor, Howard Mierzwiak.
    These characters, however, hold their own unique secrets and revelations that truly create a wonderful piece of cinema.
    Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet are simply fantastic as Joel and Clementine and it was wonderful to see these two step out of their comfort zone, Carrey the awkward and unfunny man, and Winslet the free and crude woman. The messages which are put across heighten the beauty and dramatic context of the film that never lets go of the wheel.
    The pace of the story may leave some confused, but this is where the film truly becomes unique, there are so many elements of surprise and so many heart wrenching moments that succeed in creating a truly unique masterpiece, full of colourful scenes and artistic filmmaking that push the film further than many other love stories.
    Its not surprising for many to say that this is one of their favourite films, there is enough drama to last a lifetime and enough talent to surpass your expectations in this flawless gem.
  16. Jun 15, 2013
    There are so few perfect movies. This is one of them. One of my all time favorite movies. So funny yet intelligent and romantic. It gets better every time you watch it.
  17. AllisonL.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Perfect and TOUCHING. One of my most favorite movies ever. The message is incredible! Never gets old for me and something new is uncovered to me every time I watch it. The soundtrack is absolutely beautiful too! I've watched this probably 10 times, and I'll watch it the next time it comes on too.
  18. TroelsJ
    Jan 21, 2009
    This is the perfect love movie. In every way it is perfect and clever. And I generally hate love movies, but twisting the genre into this is just a majestetic achievement. It's crazy, sad, beautiful, funny and full of love; what every love movie wants to be, but only "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" is.
  19. MattM.
    Jun 3, 2005
    This is the only film i have seen that gives me faith in post-modern eclectism. excellent. so many touching moments. emotions captured beautifully in imagery. not concept driven but with a superb concept. not melodramatic but emotional. the characters were ecentric and interesting but relatable and their love was so universal. i feel touched when ever i hear beck's song. i just think This is the only film i have seen that gives me faith in post-modern eclectism. excellent. so many touching moments. emotions captured beautifully in imagery. not concept driven but with a superb concept. not melodramatic but emotional. the characters were ecentric and interesting but relatable and their love was so universal. i feel touched when ever i hear beck's song. i just think of those last images of them holding hands on the beach. thankyou so much. Expand
  20. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This may be my favorite film ever. Perfect casting, perfect direction, perfect writing. Clementine: My crotch is still here, just as you remembered it. Joel: Yuck!
  21. StevenH.
    Jul 8, 2005
    This movie was an unbelievable mix of comedy and trajedy that forced you to follow it. You can not look away for a moment or you'll miss something, and this movie makes you not want to look away for even a moment. Amazing movie.
  22. Hawreh
    Jan 19, 2008
    This film is one of the best movie I have ever seen in my life. and in any way is not Analogous with "being john Malkovich" and any other memory and Mind and Remembrance movies. Thanks for your rating.
  23. Jun 23, 2012
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a heartfelt, funny, emotionally powerful, original, heartbreaking, piece of art. It features great performances from Winslet and Carrey, and offers a nice, sweet, fresh, twist on a regular romantic comedy. I give this movie 96%.
  24. K.James
    Jul 7, 2004
    I love this movie. All the actors are so good (elijah wood). it is so funny. Jim Carrey is the best comedy actor (adam sandler sucks). Kirsten Dunst is second best actress evah. Kate Winslet is first. I love that bit where her and jim are watching the movie and he says "there are people coming out of your butt" and she says "there is?". Genius...the best movie ever!
  25. JoeH
    Jan 8, 2010
    Kaufman is a genius, nuff said.
  26. RickyG.
    Oct 3, 2004
    Simply beautiful film, Gondry's beautiful cinematic touch is yet again candy for us to consume. I love it!
  27. richyf
    Oct 8, 2004
    Breathtaking...a story most of us could relate in some way or another and a perspective on life, love, hate, humour that deserves respect to the writer and director. Visually stunning....just brilliant!
  28. AndyG.
    Oct 8, 2004
    I saw this film a few days ago on DVD (sadly having missed it at the cinema). I've barely stopped thinking about it since. It's simply one of the best films I've ever seen, so superb in every respect that I'd find it difficult to find a single flaw. Jim Carrey proves once again that he has a far greater depth as an actor than many give him credit for (adding to his I saw this film a few days ago on DVD (sadly having missed it at the cinema). I've barely stopped thinking about it since. It's simply one of the best films I've ever seen, so superb in every respect that I'd find it difficult to find a single flaw. Jim Carrey proves once again that he has a far greater depth as an actor than many give him credit for (adding to his wonderful performances in The Truman Show and Man on the Moon), while Kate Winslet is fantastic too. The story is confusing at times initially but it all makes perfect sense in the end, and the score fits perfectly. Anyone put off watching this masterpiece by the few negative reader reviews -- don't be. Read their reviews, see their grammatical and spelling errors and realize that they simply didn't have the ability to grasp the film at all. Just ... brilliant. Expand
  29. ShadieE.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Charlie Kaufman keeps coming up with some of the most original movies ever created ... Michel Gondry implements that unique visual style where appropriate, with none of the misfires hanging over from Human Nature. The performances are all spotless, inherently creating inter-character dynamics so complex that this is a film that demands repeat viewings. Amazing.
  30. PaulM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    When I walked into the theatre I noticed that me and my 3 friends were the only teenagers in the movie. I thought what have I gotten myself into... Within the first ten minutes Of the movie I found myself in love with it. My friends on the other hand thought differently. But in the end I say one of the best movies ever!
  31. PaulH.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Rent or go to see this film as it is one of the best you are likely to see. i won't go into it in too much detail but this film goes straight into my top 5 films. kaufman yet again has delivered us a breath of fresh air.
  32. ErwinK.
    May 3, 2004
    God that was good.
  33. Ismelloscar
    Jan 21, 2005
    This is the best movie of the year, hands down. Screw "Sideways."
  34. JasonB
    Jul 10, 2005
    A brilliant movie, hands down. Anyone who says they don't understand the plot should stick to Spongebob. It's great to watch a movie where the people making it assume you're intelligent. If you aren't, stay away. you might hurt yourself thinking about it.
  35. jacomien
    Sep 1, 2005
    Only saw it last week... had been on my to watch list for too long. Very impressed though.
  36. JeremyR.
    Jun 28, 2006
    My current favorite film. An intriguing story about relationship, the good and the bad. All those reviews in here that "didn't get it" or hated it, you're entitled to your opininions, but I'm sorry for you that you missed out on a great movie.
  37. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    Another classic of our time. There has never been another like it, nor will there ever be again. The elements conspire on this one to create something that leaves you not entirely sure what kind of movie you just watched- and loving it. Yes, it's funny, but never slapstick. Yes, it's dramatic, but it never goes Deep End of the Ocean. Yes, there are fantasy elements aplenty, but Another classic of our time. There has never been another like it, nor will there ever be again. The elements conspire on this one to create something that leaves you not entirely sure what kind of movie you just watched- and loving it. Yes, it's funny, but never slapstick. Yes, it's dramatic, but it never goes Deep End of the Ocean. Yes, there are fantasy elements aplenty, but somehow it feels natural, as if the events just fit within the world of the film. There's even a mystery element, leaving you slightly confused until ut all comes together at the end. It has a slightly Donnie Darko-like quality in this way- somehow it feels like somewhere you missed something, and you have the urge to rewind and see what it was. Once all the threads are tied up, you're left with an "aaahh" sense of completetion. Complex characters, never dismissing development to focus on the more quirky elements of the film, never letting you get lazy as a viewer. No one character is a runaway favorite as each is flawed in the way they are supposed to be. One of the few movies that pulls off the darker, more morbid aspect without laying it on too thick. Outshines it's "cousin", Being John Malkovich, by a mile. My only critisism is possibly cramming just a leetle too much in there. Not enough to forfeit a point, though. Expand
  38. MathewD
    Oct 12, 2007
    Quite possibly one of the finest films ever made. Heart-wrenching and sweet all in one. I watch this DVD at least once a week and it never gets old. Considering my hatred of Jim Carrey, this is a remarkable and surprising use of his talent.
  39. MattC.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Typically confusing, but sadly enjoyable. It really is a confusing movie but the vibe that it gives off...its very unique. Its not bad, but after rewatching another time, its not THAT comfortable. The way i recommend anybody watching it is: watch it late at night, peacefully, relaxing and let the take you in
  40. SamuelC.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Beautiful and touching. Very creative.
  41. ArtiomP.
    Jan 16, 2010
    To bad there are only fiew of such films.. The abstractism should predominate into more movies, because there are less people who understand them, but they could understand more, why not?
  42. HeatherD.
    Oct 17, 2004
    Very heartbreaking to watch.... makes you appreciate someone you love more.
  43. ZacharyM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    Excellent! Makes you laugh and think. Story catches you from the start. I'm not a huge Jim Carrey fan, but he was really good in this film. Thats the best bit of acting that I have seen in quite a while. This movie also has great replay value because you catch something new everytime.
  44. Dave
    Mar 20, 2004
    Absolutely great movie. No one writes like Kaufman, he's just pure imagination at its best. Jim Carrey's performance is his best ever, bringing emotion and nuances to a complex character. Couldn't have left the theater happier.
  45. DougD.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Never before I have I seen a movie that better captured the love I feel for my wife. To me, it just struck a chord and was the most realistic romance I have ever seen in my entire life, I will love this one forever.
  46. JoshuaW.
    Mar 29, 2004
    This is a movie I'm sure I will never forget.
  47. YeaYunC.
    Mar 31, 2004
    A refreshingly thought-provoking perspective on life, love, loss and relationships, this movie was beautiful, poignant and heart wrenching. Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted and highly imaginative in the way the plot unfolded ? this exceeded my expectations on every dimension. This is one to add to my collection of all-time favorites.
  48. IliyaD.
    May 13, 2005
    I feel sorrow for the people who didn't understand and sad for those who didn't like this movie. This movie is about love and all his aspects. This is a keeper.
  49. D.Zimmerman
    Mar 29, 2004
    Breathtakingly complete. This is a movie that creates it's own universe out of the mysteries of the most vital human experience, love. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind seems to be part of a general trend in the progression of art; a completeness that marries all of experience to one emotional situation (in this movie's case, the confessive "I love and wish to be loved") and Breathtakingly complete. This is a movie that creates it's own universe out of the mysteries of the most vital human experience, love. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind seems to be part of a general trend in the progression of art; a completeness that marries all of experience to one emotional situation (in this movie's case, the confessive "I love and wish to be loved") and then proceeds to portray any and all behavior that would arise from the situation. As a filmic text, this is new sacred ground, folks. There are enough connections to be made between themes that reinforce one another, you could build a tower right to heaven. Pardon my musings. Expand
  50. JayB.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Another great movie from one of the most original screenwriters on the planet! If you love brainless action movies, by all means avoid this beautiful love story. And once again, the critic from Baltimore who loved "Twisted" (Michael Sragow-see above) gave this one 2 stars. Is there no end to the unreliabilty of his reviews???!
  51. JonathanK
    Feb 9, 2005
    You will either love or hate this movie. I hold this movie on par with great literature as "The Great Gatsby" and "Catcher In The Rye". It speaks of true to life emotions and short comings we all posses. The acting and screen play were perfect in sculpting a believable scenerio. We can see well rounded characters in this movie. Winslet is "impulisve" and unpredictable and Carrey is the You will either love or hate this movie. I hold this movie on par with great literature as "The Great Gatsby" and "Catcher In The Rye". It speaks of true to life emotions and short comings we all posses. The acting and screen play were perfect in sculpting a believable scenerio. We can see well rounded characters in this movie. Winslet is "impulisve" and unpredictable and Carrey is the typical man stuck in a rut, living a dull self loathing life. But they both have one thing in commen: they need that something in thier life so they can go beyond thier typical self. Quoting another comment "Is it really better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?". And of course the ironic title begs the question "would a spotless mind live in eternal sunshin?" In the end life is all about choice, isn't it? Expand
  52. JamesW.
    Mar 22, 2004
    From the commercials I expected this to be an offbeat comedy, but it really isn't. It's a thoughtful and very creative exploration into love and sadness and what people will tolerate for love. I really liked it, as did my wife and sister.
  53. MikeB.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Parts of this film are absolutely transcendent, which make up for its rather minor flaws. A movie for the ages.
  54. RickG.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Eternal Sunshine works best when it stays focused on the relationship between Joel and Clementine. The movie falters when it goes off on tangents related to the messed up lives of the people doing Joel's memory erasing. Otherwise, Joel and Clementine are very amusing to watch. I liked it when Joel falls for the "She said I was the nicest man she ever met" line. Or when Joel tries to Eternal Sunshine works best when it stays focused on the relationship between Joel and Clementine. The movie falters when it goes off on tangents related to the messed up lives of the people doing Joel's memory erasing. Otherwise, Joel and Clementine are very amusing to watch. I liked it when Joel falls for the "She said I was the nicest man she ever met" line. Or when Joel tries to forget about Clementine's crotch. Expand
  55. PaulaW.
    Apr 18, 2004
    For all the perpetual grad students out there: this is the rare postmodern narrative in which the mechanics of metastory don't get in the way of deep emotion. This is the most romantic movie I've seen in a long time. It's the romantic comedy for people who don't like romantic comedies, the romantic comedy that won't hurt your brain with its stupidity, the first For all the perpetual grad students out there: this is the rare postmodern narrative in which the mechanics of metastory don't get in the way of deep emotion. This is the most romantic movie I've seen in a long time. It's the romantic comedy for people who don't like romantic comedies, the romantic comedy that won't hurt your brain with its stupidity, the first romantic comedy since at least 1960 whose leads aren't nitwits that you'd just as soon bitch-slap as watch for two hours. Kate Winslet is the most convincing Gen-X bookstore-haunting crazy girl I've seen yet in a major Hollywood movie (boo on previous attempts like Winona Ryder's too-cute wannabe filmmaker in Reality Bites and Bridget Fonda's boob-job-getting slacker waitress (snort!) in Singles). She's dazzling and infuriating in equal measure. Jim Carrey is actually sort of swoonworthy as a stodgy, bookish straight man. Oh yeah, and the movie does a good job of holding up the comedy half of the romantic-comedy label. Don't say you are sick of love until you've seen this movie. Expand
  56. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Wonderful, so far the best movie of this year, another brilliant movie from the mind of Charlie Kaufman, easily the best performance of Carrey's career, equally wonderful is Winslet.
  57. SarahK.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Tremendous. I don't know if Charlie Kaufman can do any original screenplay wrong. The people I talked to who don't like it are the ones who want a movie to come to them and sit on their lap and just be. They don't enjoy movies where you have to think and be actively engaged. So if that's you, you might not like it. But if, on the other hand, you have spectacular taste Tremendous. I don't know if Charlie Kaufman can do any original screenplay wrong. The people I talked to who don't like it are the ones who want a movie to come to them and sit on their lap and just be. They don't enjoy movies where you have to think and be actively engaged. So if that's you, you might not like it. But if, on the other hand, you have spectacular taste in movies, do NOT miss this one. Expand
  58. JanelleB.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This movie has to be the best I've seen in a long time. One of the best in my life. The way it was filmed, the plot line, the suspense, the romance and the humor were all timed at the perfect moment, at times I felt like crying. It's amazing that people can make films this amazing, and that people would have enough imagination to come up wtih them.
  59. AustinW.
    Apr 4, 2004
    A brilliant movie. Exceptionally sad in some parts, but the good, heartbreaking kind of sad that makes you feel more human.
  60. DavidH.
    Apr 8, 2004
    Fantastic movie!!! Go see it for yourself ... then you will want to see it again. Warning: This movie is intended for mature audiences only. People who are entertained by brainless hollywood garbage (i.e. films starring Bruce Willis, Dennis Quaid, or Ashley Judd, etc.), please stay home.
  61. SeanM.
    Apr 9, 2004
    Overall, a great experience. Clementine seems to be the kind of girl that all guys look for to spice up a boring or uninteresting life. But that is not the role that she wants to play, Charlie Kaufman has conjured up a very smart and convincing story that portrays real human qualities through a very odd medium. It challenges the notion that we would be better off without certain memories, Overall, a great experience. Clementine seems to be the kind of girl that all guys look for to spice up a boring or uninteresting life. But that is not the role that she wants to play, Charlie Kaufman has conjured up a very smart and convincing story that portrays real human qualities through a very odd medium. It challenges the notion that we would be better off without certain memories, maybe that was true in the case of Clementine and Joel, there is no definite answer, it can go either way. Brilliant. Expand
  62. VassilisI.
    May 30, 2004
    Someone can say a lot about this film, focusing on the very good acting of Carrey/Winslet or the smart direction of the film. But no words can describe the way you feel after you see this movie... Yes, it's better to love than to be loved. The best film of this season.
  63. DerekG.
    May 8, 2004
    Absolutely brilliant.
  64. BrendanM.
    May 9, 2004
    I've never seen a movie that made me really think about things, good or bad, like this one. Really enjoyed the acting as well as the music. I thought the moive was original and thoughtful.
  65. KyleS.
    Aug 31, 2004
    Words cannot explain how truely AMAZING this film is. I am still completely in love with it, as well as in awe of it. Simply perfect - one of the best movies I have ever seen!
  66. RJSamson
    Aug 9, 2004
    One of the most thought provoking, real love stories of our generation. Its genuine look at life and love affected me so much, I had to reflect on mine as well. Great film, worthy of an Oscar nomination, especially to Kirsten Dunst, who gave the best performance in the movie for me.
  67. JoelC
    Sep 30, 2004
    Theres something magical about this movie. I just totally get what the director is trying to achieve, and the characters in the movie are so believable. Excellent performances. This movie can make me laugh for one minute, and the next im thinking about the time I spent with my first true love and I cry. Such an original movie... it also makes me think about how my first true love hated Theres something magical about this movie. I just totally get what the director is trying to achieve, and the characters in the movie are so believable. Excellent performances. This movie can make me laugh for one minute, and the next im thinking about the time I spent with my first true love and I cry. Such an original movie... it also makes me think about how my first true love hated this movie lol. Well, highly recommended by me. Expand
  68. NormanM
    Jan 30, 2005
    One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Original and touching - it was overlooked by the Academy, in my opinion.
  69. AustinA.
    Feb 9, 2005
    Truly amazing.
  70. RyanM.
    Mar 22, 2005
    Kaufman doesn't disappoint with a much deserved original screenplay award. it's nice to see a hollywood produced movie that has some intellect, art and entertainment value to it. without taking itself too seriously this movie was crafty and balanced. i think the people that didn't care for this movie have neither the patience nor the brain to wrap around this type of piece.
  71. MarkM.
    Apr 5, 2005
    One of the best and most thought-provoking sci-fi films I've seen. Unlike in "Memento" where the chronological backwardness was a mere gimmick, here the unexplained displacements in time and place serve to heighten the emotional impact of what you're seeing. Cynicism squares off against hope by way of a novel, engaging premise. On first viewing I felt genuine suspense for how One of the best and most thought-provoking sci-fi films I've seen. Unlike in "Memento" where the chronological backwardness was a mere gimmick, here the unexplained displacements in time and place serve to heighten the emotional impact of what you're seeing. Cynicism squares off against hope by way of a novel, engaging premise. On first viewing I felt genuine suspense for how the story would leave Joel and Clementine's relationship--I was rooting for these kids. The storly brought forth the underlying questions about the nature of relationships--i.e. to what degree do we compromise or "settle" in order to live with ourselves and others? The mind-wipe procedure strikes me as a huge emotional cop-out, and yet how many of us would use it, if it were available? By placing the movie within a plausible setting we all can recognize, you're forced to grapple with this question. Despite the overall dramatic tone, there are also some laugh-out loud funny moments. A great movie, worth multiple viewings. Expand
  72. ChrisG.
    Feb 6, 2006
    In a word: breathtaking. I realize that the unconventional means of storytelling employed in this film won't be everybody's cup of tea; many viewers don't want to have to think too much or feel too much when watching a movie. But this is an extraordinary film, and it deserves the fulll investment of attention and emotional engagement that it demands. Despite the arty In a word: breathtaking. I realize that the unconventional means of storytelling employed in this film won't be everybody's cup of tea; many viewers don't want to have to think too much or feel too much when watching a movie. But this is an extraordinary film, and it deserves the fulll investment of attention and emotional engagement that it demands. Despite the arty cinematic methods used by Gondry (which will either astound you or irritate you, depending on your tastes), there is nothing highbrow or inaccessible about the story's message: love is worth experiencing, even when it's difficult or painful or imperfect. And love - and our lovers - can never be removed from our psyches, no mater how much we may sometimes wish it all could be. Beautifully acted (Jim Carrey is better than I would have ever expected him to be, and Kate Winslet equals him in every way), imaginatively directed, exquisitely written, and boldly designed and shot. This film is a challenge, but those who rise to it will be richly rewarded. Truly awesome. Expand
  73. TakN.
    Jun 14, 2007
    My favorite movie of all time. not much else to say except it is amazingly insightful and touching.
  74. ZeinaY
    Oct 22, 2009
    An absolutely riveting love story, that Gondry and Kauffman don't make a sappy mess out of.
  75. DanielL
    Jul 30, 2009
    People criticise it for being confusing, okay think you kind of missed the point, it does not make them think and they are not entertained... okay you can not help who you fall in love with and it is better to remember to have loved and lost than not at all. the film is entertaining and romantic and something different and beautiful. this film lies in my top ten of all films, Jim Carrey People criticise it for being confusing, okay think you kind of missed the point, it does not make them think and they are not entertained... okay you can not help who you fall in love with and it is better to remember to have loved and lost than not at all. the film is entertaining and romantic and something different and beautiful. this film lies in my top ten of all films, Jim Carrey should have got an Oscar nomination. The film should have bagged director and technology nominations. the best of the past 10 years, difficult to say with some good ones but definately in the top 5. See it and enjoy and get taken to a side of cinema which we love and are surprised how vivid some directors and writers can be. Expand
  76. Chimp
    Oct 1, 2004
    Without a doubt the best movie in theaters this year, and the best ive seen all year including old movies. if it sounds corny to you just ignore what your thinking and go see it. it is simply incredible.
  77. RyanB.
    Oct 1, 2004
    Brilliant. Just watch it!
  78. AB
    Oct 10, 2004
    One of the best movies I've ever seen.
  79. LockneO.
    Oct 14, 2004
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an excellent film that shouldn't be missed by anyone. Eternal Sunshine bends your mind and breaks your heart at the same time. Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, and Mark Ruffalo give exceptional performances.
  80. DaveC.
    Oct 16, 2004
    Probably the finest film in the last year. Totally original and (ironically) unlikely to leave your memory any time soon. Wonderful.
  81. BobbyM.
    Oct 17, 2004
    Great, a masterpiece, best film of the year, maybe the best film of the decade.
  82. Patrick
    Dec 1, 2004
    Without a doubt, the best of the year.
  83. JedD.
    Oct 23, 2004
    So far the best american film of 2004. Jim Carrey is great. Kaufman hits again. I hope this is not forgotten by the time oscars roll around.
  84. MimiJ.
    Oct 25, 2004
    This movie was soo good.
  85. BelleC
    Dec 5, 2004
    Wow... nearly every member of the cast has done their finest work in this film. I was touched to tears by this tender work. It reminded me of the reason we continue to start new relationships, even after heartbreak. The viewer experiences the excitment of a new relationship, as well as the heartbreaking ending and is asked, "Is it all worth it?" This film is full of melancholy and hope, Wow... nearly every member of the cast has done their finest work in this film. I was touched to tears by this tender work. It reminded me of the reason we continue to start new relationships, even after heartbreak. The viewer experiences the excitment of a new relationship, as well as the heartbreaking ending and is asked, "Is it all worth it?" This film is full of melancholy and hope, and one is thankful for both. Collapse
  86. JavierA
    Dec 8, 2004
    Hands down, the best movie of 2004 so far. Thoroughly innovative, it challenges everything cinema has taught us. Charlie Kaufman's writing is pure genius, but the real gem here is the stunning exploration of love that takes place. A breathtaking gem, with top-notch performances from everyone involved (particularly Kate Winslet) and may achieve masterpiece status soon enough.
  87. AlejandroD.
    Oct 3, 2004
    This movie is incredible.. Words can't describe it, it's an experience you have to go through to believe it. I think this movie will please a lot, but some will hate it, or won't even understand it. This is the kind of movie that is worth seeing, even if you hate it, you'll find it worth your time. The best movie I have ever seen in my life, highly recommended if you This movie is incredible.. Words can't describe it, it's an experience you have to go through to believe it. I think this movie will please a lot, but some will hate it, or won't even understand it. This is the kind of movie that is worth seeing, even if you hate it, you'll find it worth your time. The best movie I have ever seen in my life, highly recommended if you are a person that likes to use your brain!! Expand
  88. JamesS.
    Oct 7, 2004
    The best movie of 2004. Lives and decisions have literally been changed after watching this movie. A strange feeling of heartache and wonder lingers long after the lights come on.
  89. NikeshG.
    Mar 16, 2004
    Truely Genius Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay please.
  90. KyleG.
    Mar 18, 2004
    After the turmoil of a break-up with his girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet), Joel (Jim Carrey) discovers that she has had him erased from her memory by the professionals at Lacuna Inc. In a deep depression, Joel determines the only way to move on with his life is to have Clementine removed from his own memory. Enter the Lacuna staff (Dunst, Ruffalo, Wood, and Wilkinson) who administer After the turmoil of a break-up with his girlfriend, Clementine (Kate Winslet), Joel (Jim Carrey) discovers that she has had him erased from her memory by the professionals at Lacuna Inc. In a deep depression, Joel determines the only way to move on with his life is to have Clementine removed from his own memory. Enter the Lacuna staff (Dunst, Ruffalo, Wood, and Wilkinson) who administer a procedure that goes anything but smooth. Charlie Kaufman's fifth film is his second directed by Michel Gondry (Human Nature). From beginning to end, Enternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a story that is just begging to be told. One part Memento and one part Punch Drunk Love, it's an akward love-story that unfolds naturally before your eyes. Running a gamut of emotions, there is nothing pretentious about the way Eternal Sunshine is presented. Gondry's vision complements the premise beautifully. The colors are a joy to watch and there is a visual treat in every scene. Carrey and Winslet are flawless, and they are supported by a cast of characters who each fulfill their role perfectly. Jim Carrey shines as the somber Joel Barish who is constantly describing his life as "not that interesting." A complete 180° from the zany Jim Carrey we have come to expect. Even his roles in The Truman Show and Man on the Moon, although dramatic, gave us a taste of Carrey's slapstick-style comedy. Eternal Sunshine should truly be seen as his breakthrough dramatic moment. In the end, Eternal Sunshine becomes something bigger than itself. Kaufman's story poses questions about relationships and the hardships that come with them (not to mention the ethical implications of memory erasure). Is it really better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? Expand
  91. BenA.
    Mar 20, 2004
    This is what I've come to expect from Chlarlie Kaufman: Nothing but the best. Its strange how all of his movies so far have had the biggest names in Hollywood and yet don't draw much at the box office. Adaptation (Cage, Streep) didn't draw more than 30 mil. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (Berrymore, Cloony, Rockwell) didn't make much either. This might be the This is what I've come to expect from Chlarlie Kaufman: Nothing but the best. Its strange how all of his movies so far have had the biggest names in Hollywood and yet don't draw much at the box office. Adaptation (Cage, Streep) didn't draw more than 30 mil. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (Berrymore, Cloony, Rockwell) didn't make much either. This might be the exception. I also won't be surprised if this is the critical darling that is ignored by the oscars. We'll just have to wait and see. Expand
  92. VictorB.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Confusing at first, but beautiful in the end. Thouroghly original and excellent performances all around! An honest 10!
  93. AbhijayP.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Knowing the premise, you wouldn't guess that it ultimately delivers a classically urgent resolution to its sublime, bizarre and original story. The inventiveness and cerebral (literally) genius of Charlie Kaufman is again on display in what is effectively, a romantic comedy. Despite a deus ex machina type ending from a weakly integrated subplot, this film takes viewers on a wild Knowing the premise, you wouldn't guess that it ultimately delivers a classically urgent resolution to its sublime, bizarre and original story. The inventiveness and cerebral (literally) genius of Charlie Kaufman is again on display in what is effectively, a romantic comedy. Despite a deus ex machina type ending from a weakly integrated subplot, this film takes viewers on a wild journey full of wildly inventive shot composition and sensory-stimulating lighting and special effects. Expand
  94. V.S.
    Mar 20, 2004
    The best movie I've seen this year; Kaufman's script is deft, heartfelt, and charmingly bizarre, while Gondry's direction lends a distinct visual flair. Carrey's normal obnoxiousness is thankfully absent, and he comes across as a genuine man with a head full of bittersweet memories. The rest of the cast rounds out an excellent ensemble.
  95. CarlosS.
    This movie is COMPLEX!
  96. Raskolnikov
    Mar 22, 2004
    Well, I have to give this movie a 10 to raise the score, it really is worth a 10. I think this movie is well directed and gives audiences a new experience, and let's face it, this movie is amazing. Jim Carey's performance is solid, but Kate Winslet steals the show as "Clementine"...this is her greatest work yet.
  97. GuyIncognito
    Mar 22, 2004
    Wow! What a flick. I have a new respect for Jim Carrey after seeing this film. I was so blown away that I saw it again the next day another friend. Went to a bar afterwords and, as my friend and I watched "Walker, Texas Ranger" on the bar tv, we realized how much crappy everything else seems after seeing this masterpiece. This movie will raise your standards of film expectations.
  98. KyleA.
    Mar 20, 2004
    OH MY F..KING GOD!!! This movie gave me a cinematic orgasm!!! Kaufman is BRILLIANT!!! Any feelings for this movie are impossible to describe, but when i left the theatre i felt as if i had won the f..king lottery!
  99. ScottC.
    Mar 22, 2004
    Best movie I've seen in a while, I laughed, I cried, pretty good acting for the most part. The plot isn't too difficult to figure out, but the camera work, the script, and the emotions and thoughts that the film get at are all very refreshing and touching. Some off the subplots are a little bit tedious, but overall an excellent movie.
  100. ScottC.
    Mar 22, 2004

1. Not only (Kaufman's) most accessible and romantic screenplay, it's his most complete. The third act works like a charm and pulls all his themes, characters and conflicts together beautifully.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    A wildly imaginative, hugely entertaining tour de force that asks big questions about life and love and fate while never ceasing to fully engage the viewer.
    Chases so many ideas that it threatens to spin out of control. But with our multiplexes stuffed with toxic Hollywood formula, it's a gift to find a ballsy movie that thinks it can do anything, and damn near does.