8.9

1. K.James
    Jul 7, 2004
    I love this movie. All the actors are so good (elijah wood). it is so funny. Jim Carrey is the best comedy actor (adam sandler sucks). Kirsten Dunst is second best actress evah. Kate Winslet is first. I love that bit where her and jim are watching the movie and he says "there are people coming out of your butt" and she says "there is?". Genius...the best movie ever!
  2. MattM.
    Jun 3, 2005
    This is the only film i have seen that gives me faith in post-modern eclectism. excellent. so many touching moments. emotions captured beautifully in imagery. not concept driven but with a superb concept. not melodramatic but emotional. the characters were ecentric and interesting but relatable and their love was so universal. i feel touched when ever i hear beck's song. i just think This is the only film i have seen that gives me faith in post-modern eclectism. excellent. so many touching moments. emotions captured beautifully in imagery. not concept driven but with a superb concept. not melodramatic but emotional. the characters were ecentric and interesting but relatable and their love was so universal. i feel touched when ever i hear beck's song. i just think of those last images of them holding hands on the beach. thankyou so much. Expand
  3. JoeH
    Jan 8, 2010
    Kaufman is a genius, nuff said.
  4. RickyG.
    Oct 3, 2004
    Simply beautiful film, Gondry's beautiful cinematic touch is yet again candy for us to consume. I love it!
  5. richyf
    Oct 8, 2004
    Breathtaking...a story most of us could relate in some way or another and a perspective on life, love, hate, humour that deserves respect to the writer and director. Visually stunning....just brilliant!
  6. AndyG.
    Oct 8, 2004
    I saw this film a few days ago on DVD (sadly having missed it at the cinema). I've barely stopped thinking about it since. It's simply one of the best films I've ever seen, so superb in every respect that I'd find it difficult to find a single flaw. Jim Carrey proves once again that he has a far greater depth as an actor than many give him credit for (adding to his I saw this film a few days ago on DVD (sadly having missed it at the cinema). I've barely stopped thinking about it since. It's simply one of the best films I've ever seen, so superb in every respect that I'd find it difficult to find a single flaw. Jim Carrey proves once again that he has a far greater depth as an actor than many give him credit for (adding to his wonderful performances in The Truman Show and Man on the Moon), while Kate Winslet is fantastic too. The story is confusing at times initially but it all makes perfect sense in the end, and the score fits perfectly. Anyone put off watching this masterpiece by the few negative reader reviews -- don't be. Read their reviews, see their grammatical and spelling errors and realize that they simply didn't have the ability to grasp the film at all. Just ... brilliant. Expand
  7. ShadieE.
    Mar 20, 2004
    Charlie Kaufman keeps coming up with some of the most original movies ever created ... Michel Gondry implements that unique visual style where appropriate, with none of the misfires hanging over from Human Nature. The performances are all spotless, inherently creating inter-character dynamics so complex that this is a film that demands repeat viewings. Amazing.
  8. D.Zimmerman
    Mar 29, 2004
    Breathtakingly complete. This is a movie that creates it's own universe out of the mysteries of the most vital human experience, love. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind seems to be part of a general trend in the progression of art; a completeness that marries all of experience to one emotional situation (in this movie's case, the confessive "I love and wish to be loved") and Breathtakingly complete. This is a movie that creates it's own universe out of the mysteries of the most vital human experience, love. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind seems to be part of a general trend in the progression of art; a completeness that marries all of experience to one emotional situation (in this movie's case, the confessive "I love and wish to be loved") and then proceeds to portray any and all behavior that would arise from the situation. As a filmic text, this is new sacred ground, folks. There are enough connections to be made between themes that reinforce one another, you could build a tower right to heaven. Pardon my musings. Expand
  9. PaulM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    When I walked into the theatre I noticed that me and my 3 friends were the only teenagers in the movie. I thought what have I gotten myself into... Within the first ten minutes Of the movie I found myself in love with it. My friends on the other hand thought differently. But in the end I say one of the best movies ever!
  10. PaulH.
    Apr 6, 2004
    Rent or go to see this film as it is one of the best you are likely to see. i won't go into it in too much detail but this film goes straight into my top 5 films. kaufman yet again has delivered us a breath of fresh air.
  11. ErwinK.
    May 3, 2004
    God that was good.
  12. Ismelloscar
    Jan 21, 2005
    This is the best movie of the year, hands down. Screw "Sideways."
  13. JasonB
    Jul 10, 2005
    A brilliant movie, hands down. Anyone who says they don't understand the plot should stick to Spongebob. It's great to watch a movie where the people making it assume you're intelligent. If you aren't, stay away. you might hurt yourself thinking about it.
  14. jacomien
    Sep 1, 2005
    Only saw it last week... had been on my to watch list for too long. Very impressed though.
  15. JeremyR.
    Jun 28, 2006
    My current favorite film. An intriguing story about relationship, the good and the bad. All those reviews in here that "didn't get it" or hated it, you're entitled to your opininions, but I'm sorry for you that you missed out on a great movie.
  16. FelixQ.
    Jul 25, 2006
    Another classic of our time. There has never been another like it, nor will there ever be again. The elements conspire on this one to create something that leaves you not entirely sure what kind of movie you just watched- and loving it. Yes, it's funny, but never slapstick. Yes, it's dramatic, but it never goes Deep End of the Ocean. Yes, there are fantasy elements aplenty, but Another classic of our time. There has never been another like it, nor will there ever be again. The elements conspire on this one to create something that leaves you not entirely sure what kind of movie you just watched- and loving it. Yes, it's funny, but never slapstick. Yes, it's dramatic, but it never goes Deep End of the Ocean. Yes, there are fantasy elements aplenty, but somehow it feels natural, as if the events just fit within the world of the film. There's even a mystery element, leaving you slightly confused until ut all comes together at the end. It has a slightly Donnie Darko-like quality in this way- somehow it feels like somewhere you missed something, and you have the urge to rewind and see what it was. Once all the threads are tied up, you're left with an "aaahh" sense of completetion. Complex characters, never dismissing development to focus on the more quirky elements of the film, never letting you get lazy as a viewer. No one character is a runaway favorite as each is flawed in the way they are supposed to be. One of the few movies that pulls off the darker, more morbid aspect without laying it on too thick. Outshines it's "cousin", Being John Malkovich, by a mile. My only critisism is possibly cramming just a leetle too much in there. Not enough to forfeit a point, though. Expand
  17. MathewD
    Oct 12, 2007
    Quite possibly one of the finest films ever made. Heart-wrenching and sweet all in one. I watch this DVD at least once a week and it never gets old. Considering my hatred of Jim Carrey, this is a remarkable and surprising use of his talent.
  18. MattC.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Typically confusing, but sadly enjoyable. It really is a confusing movie but the vibe that it gives off...its very unique. Its not bad, but after rewatching another time, its not THAT comfortable. The way i recommend anybody watching it is: watch it late at night, peacefully, relaxing and let the take you in
  19. SamuelC.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Beautiful and touching. Very creative.
  20. TylerC.
    Feb 6, 2008
    This may be my favorite film ever. Perfect casting, perfect direction, perfect writing. Clementine: My crotch is still here, just as you remembered it. Joel: Yuck!
  21. AllisonL.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Perfect and TOUCHING. One of my most favorite movies ever. The message is incredible! Never gets old for me and something new is uncovered to me every time I watch it. The soundtrack is absolutely beautiful too! I've watched this probably 10 times, and I'll watch it the next time it comes on too.
  22. ArtiomP.
    Jan 16, 2010
    To bad there are only fiew of such films.. The abstractism should predominate into more movies, because there are less people who understand them, but they could understand more, why not?
  23. HeatherD.
    Oct 17, 2004
    Very heartbreaking to watch.... makes you appreciate someone you love more.
  24. ZacharyM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    Excellent! Makes you laugh and think. Story catches you from the start. I'm not a huge Jim Carrey fan, but he was really good in this film. Thats the best bit of acting that I have seen in quite a while. This movie also has great replay value because you catch something new everytime.
  25. Dave
    Mar 20, 2004
    Absolutely great movie. No one writes like Kaufman, he's just pure imagination at its best. Jim Carrey's performance is his best ever, bringing emotion and nuances to a complex character. Couldn't have left the theater happier.
  26. DougD.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Never before I have I seen a movie that better captured the love I feel for my wife. To me, it just struck a chord and was the most realistic romance I have ever seen in my entire life, I will love this one forever.
  27. JoshuaW.
    Mar 29, 2004
    This is a movie I'm sure I will never forget.
  28. YeaYunC.
    Mar 31, 2004
    A refreshingly thought-provoking perspective on life, love, loss and relationships, this movie was beautiful, poignant and heart wrenching. Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted and highly imaginative in the way the plot unfolded ? this exceeded my expectations on every dimension. This is one to add to my collection of all-time favorites.
  29. MikeB.
    Apr 16, 2004
    Parts of this film are absolutely transcendent, which make up for its rather minor flaws. A movie for the ages.
  30. JonathanH.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Wonderful, so far the best movie of this year, another brilliant movie from the mind of Charlie Kaufman, easily the best performance of Carrey's career, equally wonderful is Winslet.
  31. SarahK.
    Apr 2, 2004
    Tremendous. I don't know if Charlie Kaufman can do any original screenplay wrong. The people I talked to who don't like it are the ones who want a movie to come to them and sit on their lap and just be. They don't enjoy movies where you have to think and be actively engaged. So if that's you, you might not like it. But if, on the other hand, you have spectacular taste Tremendous. I don't know if Charlie Kaufman can do any original screenplay wrong. The people I talked to who don't like it are the ones who want a movie to come to them and sit on their lap and just be. They don't enjoy movies where you have to think and be actively engaged. So if that's you, you might not like it. But if, on the other hand, you have spectacular taste in movies, do NOT miss this one. Expand
  32. JanelleB.
    Apr 4, 2004
    This movie has to be the best I've seen in a long time. One of the best in my life. The way it was filmed, the plot line, the suspense, the romance and the humor were all timed at the perfect moment, at times I felt like crying. It's amazing that people can make films this amazing, and that people would have enough imagination to come up wtih them.
  33. DavidH.
    Apr 8, 2004
    Fantastic movie!!! Go see it for yourself ... then you will want to see it again. Warning: This movie is intended for mature audiences only. People who are entertained by brainless hollywood garbage (i.e. films starring Bruce Willis, Dennis Quaid, or Ashley Judd, etc.), please stay home.
  34. SeanM.
    Apr 9, 2004
    Overall, a great experience. Clementine seems to be the kind of girl that all guys look for to spice up a boring or uninteresting life. But that is not the role that she wants to play, Charlie Kaufman has conjured up a very smart and convincing story that portrays real human qualities through a very odd medium. It challenges the notion that we would be better off without certain memories, Overall, a great experience. Clementine seems to be the kind of girl that all guys look for to spice up a boring or uninteresting life. But that is not the role that she wants to play, Charlie Kaufman has conjured up a very smart and convincing story that portrays real human qualities through a very odd medium. It challenges the notion that we would be better off without certain memories, maybe that was true in the case of Clementine and Joel, there is no definite answer, it can go either way. Brilliant. Expand
  35. VassilisI.
    May 30, 2004
    Someone can say a lot about this film, focusing on the very good acting of Carrey/Winslet or the smart direction of the film. But no words can describe the way you feel after you see this movie... Yes, it's better to love than to be loved. The best film of this season.
  36. DerekG.
    May 8, 2004
    Absolutely brilliant.
  37. BrendanM.
    May 9, 2004
    I've never seen a movie that made me really think about things, good or bad, like this one. Really enjoyed the acting as well as the music. I thought the moive was original and thoughtful.
  38. KyleS.
    Aug 31, 2004
    Words cannot explain how truely AMAZING this film is. I am still completely in love with it, as well as in awe of it. Simply perfect - one of the best movies I have ever seen!
  39. RJSamson
    Aug 9, 2004
    One of the most thought provoking, real love stories of our generation. Its genuine look at life and love affected me so much, I had to reflect on mine as well. Great film, worthy of an Oscar nomination, especially to Kirsten Dunst, who gave the best performance in the movie for me.
  40. JoelC
    Sep 30, 2004
    Theres something magical about this movie. I just totally get what the director is trying to achieve, and the characters in the movie are so believable. Excellent performances. This movie can make me laugh for one minute, and the next im thinking about the time I spent with my first true love and I cry. Such an original movie... it also makes me think about how my first true love hated Theres something magical about this movie. I just totally get what the director is trying to achieve, and the characters in the movie are so believable. Excellent performances. This movie can make me laugh for one minute, and the next im thinking about the time I spent with my first true love and I cry. Such an original movie... it also makes me think about how my first true love hated this movie lol. Well, highly recommended by me. Expand
  41. NormanM
    Jan 30, 2005
    One of the best films I've seen in a long time. Original and touching - it was overlooked by the Academy, in my opinion.
  42. TyeN.
    Oct 8, 2005
    This is by far the best movie of 2004, and one of the greatest films of all-time. Jim Carrey and Kate Wislet share a magnetic bond that evolves way past the usual chemistry in movies. They are absolutely amazing, and they were both robbed of should-be Oscars. (especially Carrey, who wasn't even nominated) This film will forever be remembered as one of the films considered a true This is by far the best movie of 2004, and one of the greatest films of all-time. Jim Carrey and Kate Wislet share a magnetic bond that evolves way past the usual chemistry in movies. They are absolutely amazing, and they were both robbed of should-be Oscars. (especially Carrey, who wasn't even nominated) This film will forever be remembered as one of the films considered a true classic from the new era of 2000 and on. Brilliant. Expand
  43. AustinA.
    Feb 9, 2005
    Truly amazing.
  44. MarkM.
    Apr 5, 2005
    One of the best and most thought-provoking sci-fi films I've seen. Unlike in "Memento" where the chronological backwardness was a mere gimmick, here the unexplained displacements in time and place serve to heighten the emotional impact of what you're seeing. Cynicism squares off against hope by way of a novel, engaging premise. On first viewing I felt genuine suspense for how One of the best and most thought-provoking sci-fi films I've seen. Unlike in "Memento" where the chronological backwardness was a mere gimmick, here the unexplained displacements in time and place serve to heighten the emotional impact of what you're seeing. Cynicism squares off against hope by way of a novel, engaging premise. On first viewing I felt genuine suspense for how the story would leave Joel and Clementine's relationship--I was rooting for these kids. The storly brought forth the underlying questions about the nature of relationships--i.e. to what degree do we compromise or "settle" in order to live with ourselves and others? The mind-wipe procedure strikes me as a huge emotional cop-out, and yet how many of us would use it, if it were available? By placing the movie within a plausible setting we all can recognize, you're forced to grapple with this question. Despite the overall dramatic tone, there are also some laugh-out loud funny moments. A great movie, worth multiple viewings. Expand
  45. IliyaD.
    May 13, 2005
    I feel sorrow for the people who didn't understand and sad for those who didn't like this movie. This movie is about love and all his aspects. This is a keeper.
  46. StevenH.
    Jul 8, 2005
    This movie was an unbelievable mix of comedy and trajedy that forced you to follow it. You can not look away for a moment or you'll miss something, and this movie makes you not want to look away for even a moment. Amazing movie.
  47. ChrisG.
    Feb 6, 2006
    In a word: breathtaking. I realize that the unconventional means of storytelling employed in this film won't be everybody's cup of tea; many viewers don't want to have to think too much or feel too much when watching a movie. But this is an extraordinary film, and it deserves the fulll investment of attention and emotional engagement that it demands. Despite the arty In a word: breathtaking. I realize that the unconventional means of storytelling employed in this film won't be everybody's cup of tea; many viewers don't want to have to think too much or feel too much when watching a movie. But this is an extraordinary film, and it deserves the fulll investment of attention and emotional engagement that it demands. Despite the arty cinematic methods used by Gondry (which will either astound you or irritate you, depending on your tastes), there is nothing highbrow or inaccessible about the story's message: love is worth experiencing, even when it's difficult or painful or imperfect. And love - and our lovers - can never be removed from our psyches, no mater how much we may sometimes wish it all could be. Beautifully acted (Jim Carrey is better than I would have ever expected him to be, and Kate Winslet equals him in every way), imaginatively directed, exquisitely written, and boldly designed and shot. This film is a challenge, but those who rise to it will be richly rewarded. Truly awesome. Expand
  48. TakN.
    Jun 14, 2007
    My favorite movie of all time. not much else to say except it is amazingly insightful and touching.
  49. TroelsJ
    Jan 21, 2009
    This is the perfect love movie. In every way it is perfect and clever. And I generally hate love movies, but twisting the genre into this is just a majestetic achievement. It's crazy, sad, beautiful, funny and full of love; what every love movie wants to be, but only "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind" is.
  50. DanielL
    Jul 30, 2009
    People criticise it for being confusing, okay think you kind of missed the point, it does not make them think and they are not entertained... okay you can not help who you fall in love with and it is better to remember to have loved and lost than not at all. the film is entertaining and romantic and something different and beautiful. this film lies in my top ten of all films, Jim Carrey People criticise it for being confusing, okay think you kind of missed the point, it does not make them think and they are not entertained... okay you can not help who you fall in love with and it is better to remember to have loved and lost than not at all. the film is entertaining and romantic and something different and beautiful. this film lies in my top ten of all films, Jim Carrey should have got an Oscar nomination. The film should have bagged director and technology nominations. the best of the past 10 years, difficult to say with some good ones but definately in the top 5. See it and enjoy and get taken to a side of cinema which we love and are surprised how vivid some directors and writers can be. Expand
  51. Chimp
    Oct 1, 2004
    Without a doubt the best movie in theaters this year, and the best ive seen all year including old movies. if it sounds corny to you just ignore what your thinking and go see it. it is simply incredible.
  52. RyanB.
    Oct 1, 2004
    Brilliant. Just watch it!
  53. AB
    Oct 10, 2004
    One of the best movies I've ever seen.
  54. LockneO.
    Oct 14, 2004
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an excellent film that shouldn't be missed by anyone. Eternal Sunshine bends your mind and breaks your heart at the same time. Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, and Mark Ruffalo give exceptional performances.
  55. BobbyM.
    Oct 17, 2004
    Great, a masterpiece, best film of the year, maybe the best film of the decade.
  56. Patrick
    Dec 1, 2004
    Without a doubt, the best of the year.
  57. MimiJ.
    Oct 25, 2004
    This movie was soo good.
  58. BelleC
    Dec 5, 2004
    Wow... nearly every member of the cast has done their finest work in this film. I was touched to tears by this tender work. It reminded me of the reason we continue to start new relationships, even after heartbreak. The viewer experiences the excitment of a new relationship, as well as the heartbreaking ending and is asked, "Is it all worth it?" This film is full of melancholy and hope, Wow... nearly every member of the cast has done their finest work in this film. I was touched to tears by this tender work. It reminded me of the reason we continue to start new relationships, even after heartbreak. The viewer experiences the excitment of a new relationship, as well as the heartbreaking ending and is asked, "Is it all worth it?" This film is full of melancholy and hope, and one is thankful for both. Expand
  59. AlejandroD.
    Oct 3, 2004
    This movie is incredible.. Words can't describe it, it's an experience you have to go through to believe it. I think this movie will please a lot, but some will hate it, or won't even understand it. This is the kind of movie that is worth seeing, even if you hate it, you'll find it worth your time. The best movie I have ever seen in my life, highly recommended if you This movie is incredible.. Words can't describe it, it's an experience you have to go through to believe it. I think this movie will please a lot, but some will hate it, or won't even understand it. This is the kind of movie that is worth seeing, even if you hate it, you'll find it worth your time. The best movie I have ever seen in my life, highly recommended if you are a person that likes to use your brain!! Expand
  60. JamesS.
    Oct 7, 2004
    The best movie of 2004. Lives and decisions have literally been changed after watching this movie. A strange feeling of heartache and wonder lingers long after the lights come on.
  61. NikeshG.
    Mar 16, 2004
    Truely Genius Actor, Actress, Original Screenplay please.
  62. BenA.
    Mar 20, 2004
    This is what I've come to expect from Chlarlie Kaufman: Nothing but the best. Its strange how all of his movies so far have had the biggest names in Hollywood and yet don't draw much at the box office. Adaptation (Cage, Streep) didn't draw more than 30 mil. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (Berrymore, Cloony, Rockwell) didn't make much either. This might be the This is what I've come to expect from Chlarlie Kaufman: Nothing but the best. Its strange how all of his movies so far have had the biggest names in Hollywood and yet don't draw much at the box office. Adaptation (Cage, Streep) didn't draw more than 30 mil. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (Berrymore, Cloony, Rockwell) didn't make much either. This might be the exception. I also won't be surprised if this is the critical darling that is ignored by the oscars. We'll just have to wait and see. Expand
  63. VictorB.
    Mar 21, 2004
    Confusing at first, but beautiful in the end. Thouroghly original and excellent performances all around! An honest 10!
  64. V.S.
    Mar 20, 2004
    The best movie I've seen this year; Kaufman's script is deft, heartfelt, and charmingly bizarre, while Gondry's direction lends a distinct visual flair. Carrey's normal obnoxiousness is thankfully absent, and he comes across as a genuine man with a head full of bittersweet memories. The rest of the cast rounds out an excellent ensemble.
  65. Raskolnikov
    Mar 22, 2004
    Well, I have to give this movie a 10 to raise the score, it really is worth a 10. I think this movie is well directed and gives audiences a new experience, and let's face it, this movie is amazing. Jim Carey's performance is solid, but Kate Winslet steals the show as "Clementine"...this is her greatest work yet.
  66. GuyIncognito
    Mar 22, 2004
    Wow! What a flick. I have a new respect for Jim Carrey after seeing this film. I was so blown away that I saw it again the next day another friend. Went to a bar afterwords and, as my friend and I watched "Walker, Texas Ranger" on the bar tv, we realized how much crappy everything else seems after seeing this masterpiece. This movie will raise your standards of film expectations.
  67. KyleA.
    Mar 20, 2004
    OH MY F..KING GOD!!! This movie gave me a cinematic orgasm!!! Kaufman is BRILLIANT!!! Any feelings for this movie are impossible to describe, but when i left the theatre i felt as if i had won the f..king lottery!
  68. ScottC.
    Mar 22, 2004
    Best movie I've seen in a while, I laughed, I cried, pretty good acting for the most part. The plot isn't too difficult to figure out, but the camera work, the script, and the emotions and thoughts that the film get at are all very refreshing and touching. Some off the subplots are a little bit tedious, but overall an excellent movie.
  69. ScottC.
  70. KenG.
    Mar 25, 2004
    One I won't soon forget: Jim Carrey stars in the dizzying, time-tripping tale of the crazy little thing called love. The film's ultimate power explodes and hits like a sucker-punch in the final 15 minutes. Kate Winslet is amazingly sexy and irresistable, and the supporting cast is wonderful. This is a true visual and mental treat.
    Mar 25, 2004
    This is the best movie ever!
  72. MikeS.
    Mar 25, 2004
    Possibly the best love story and the best story *about* the nature of love I have seen in the past five years or so. Unforgettable (no-pun intended).
  73. NicholasS.
    Mar 25, 2004
    Amazing film - but you might as well put up a sign at the enterance of the theater: Stupid People Need Not Attend (Dawn of the Dead playing next door).
  74. ShiouT.
    Mar 27, 2004
    Tugs at your heartstrings.
  75. VishalP.
    Mar 28, 2004
    Beautiful movie. not the fast paced mumbo jumbo that i love too...but nice and cool.
  76. JoeyM.
    Mar 29, 2004
    Ironically, one of the most memorable films of the year. This one stayed with me long after I left the theatre. It led me to reflect on my own relationship successes and failures; to ponder the nature of human relationships in general. Excellent performances by all and a terrific script. I especially enjoyed the subplot involving Wilkinson and Dunst. Highly recomended.
  77. J.Porter
    Mar 29, 2004
    A must see. Visually stunning and thought-provoking. We so rarely see such high quality work out of Hollywood. Eternal Sunshine is a breath of fresh air in an otherwise toxic industry.
  78. DavidL.
    Mar 31, 2004
    Brilliant, eccentric, haunting and profound.
  79. AlexK.
    Phenomenal.
  80. MichaelS.
    Mar 30, 2004
    This movie was simply beautiful. The screenplay was flawless and intelligent, and the acting was wonderful. Its nice to see such a fantastical as well as relevant approach to love and the expectations that are rarely ever met. Too bad movies like this do not make more money - as there would be so many more to enjoy.
  81. MarcusB.
    Apr 13, 2004
    Terrific movie, story and acting. The characters were much more human and subtle than the usual, and thankfully this film escaped the typical heavy-handed, smack you in the face I-don't-trust-you-to-get-this-so-I-will-spell-it-out-for-you approach of most modern films.
  82. MikeL.
    Apr 17, 2004
    Really, really good. Go see it if it's still out in your area. If not rent it as soon as it comes out.
  83. AndrewT.
    Apr 21, 2004
    An incredible, mind-blowing movie. For those of you who who gave it a '0,' please check your rectum for various foreign objects.
  84. ShawnA.
    Apr 2, 2004
    A great romance movie that's not actually that romantic, it's very truthful about relationships, Joel completely reminded me of me.
  85. TracyR.
    Apr 4, 2004
    Smart and inventive and oddly touching, it makes us all think about our own painful memories and what they take away from us, and more importantly, what they have given to us. With the first realistic (so to speak) ending I've yet seen from a Charlie Kaufman script (his beginnings and middles are already entrancing) - the movie works incredibly well to tickle the brain and the heart Smart and inventive and oddly touching, it makes us all think about our own painful memories and what they take away from us, and more importantly, what they have given to us. With the first realistic (so to speak) ending I've yet seen from a Charlie Kaufman script (his beginnings and middles are already entrancing) - the movie works incredibly well to tickle the brain and the heart at the same time. Substitute your own once doomed loved for Winslet or Carrey - both of whom make flawed characters come off the screen without eliminating or rendering those flaws less damaging than they really are, and the courage and acceptance of the movies final so-what conclusion will ring true. People love and they fail at loving, they make each other transcendent, and then they break each other's heart. And there's no getting out of it. Beautifully written, well-acted, and truly different than any romantic comedy you're likely to come across. Terrific movie. Expand
  86. PaulB.
    Amazing. Original.
  87. BurtS.
    May 22, 2004
    I'm with Steph B. Totally boringest! I gave it a 10 only cause the usher was cute and the blue slurpees were really yummy! They should have made it more like American Pie or Scary Moivie 4, then I would have looked down the aisle and nodded to those girls. And they probably would have nodded back! Even if that one was wearing pants that were a little too revealing! LOL!
  88. MasakoK.
    May 30, 2004
    Great script and superb acting.
  89. SamH.
    Sep 12, 2004
    A truly amazing, imaginative epic scramble of catastrophic love and beautiful confusion.
  90. DustinB.
    Sep 28, 2004
    A tribute to the complexity, frailty yet the ultimate depth of the human mind and of course, love between human beings. Artfully done and very fufilling this movie pulls you in and doesn't let go. You leave it feeling it's a part of you. Or maybe that's just me.
  91. NateB.
    Sep 28, 2004
    This movie was amazing. It grabbed you right from the start and played with you thoughts and emotions. The key to watching this movie is don't try to figure it out to early or you will get confused and end up hating every second of it. Just sit back and watch it all comes together amazingly.
  92. JoshuaB.
    Sep 29, 2004
    Excellent from start to finish. Wildly romantic, beautiful, funny. One of the greats of all time.
  93. PappaXray
    Sep 29, 2004
    This movie is simply brilliant. I don't like to overanalyse things, nor am I arrogant enough to say, 'He should have done it this way' or 'He did this wrong'. I'm not a world class script writer :). Suffice to say, I watched it 3 times, it made me appreciate my life more and it occupied my thoughts for a good few days after. Anything which does all this is This movie is simply brilliant. I don't like to overanalyse things, nor am I arrogant enough to say, 'He should have done it this way' or 'He did this wrong'. I'm not a world class script writer :). Suffice to say, I watched it 3 times, it made me appreciate my life more and it occupied my thoughts for a good few days after. Anything which does all this is surely an exceptional thing. Expand
  94. NathanielT.
    Jan 18, 2005
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is wonderful ride through the heart and mind of a human whose pain and pleasure, love and loss provide a whimsical talke bursting at the seams with emotion. Not only does this film represent the non-linear nature of memory and dreams better than any other film ever, but it also maintains a strong emotional current when juxtaposed with intellectual Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is wonderful ride through the heart and mind of a human whose pain and pleasure, love and loss provide a whimsical talke bursting at the seams with emotion. Not only does this film represent the non-linear nature of memory and dreams better than any other film ever, but it also maintains a strong emotional current when juxtaposed with intellectual undercurrents. Expertly written, acted, and executed by its brilliant cast and crew, ESOTSM is the best film of the year, because it is a fantastic story that takes advantage of everything the medium of cinema has to offer. Expand
  95. ChadG.
    Jan 27, 2005
    An utterly brilliant and original film. The best of 2004, IMO. It's a travesty it didn't even get a nomination.
  96. Anne
    Jan 28, 2005
    This is seriously one of the best movies i've ever seen. it's romantic, funny, and heartbreaking. its so wonderful. kate winslet and jim carrey's performances are both wonderful and it's just such a great story.
  97. JakeN.
    Mar 13, 2005
    Any screenplay from Charlie Kaufman, excluding human nature which he also did with Gondry, has been so unique and incredible. The movie is audacious, thought-provoking and truly funny. This along with "The Truman Show" are Carrey's best cinematic performances. This movie should have won best picture of the year. Dont get me wrong i really liked "Million Dollar Baby" but this movie is Any screenplay from Charlie Kaufman, excluding human nature which he also did with Gondry, has been so unique and incredible. The movie is audacious, thought-provoking and truly funny. This along with "The Truman Show" are Carrey's best cinematic performances. This movie should have won best picture of the year. Dont get me wrong i really liked "Million Dollar Baby" but this movie is just better. Expand
  98. ThaiK.
    Jul 21, 2005
    This is one of the greatest achievements that I have had the honor of witnessing. Sunshine moved me and intrigued me from beginning to start. Wish I could have given this a higher score.
  99. AkhilK
    Jul 27, 2005
    Probably one of my all time favorite movies, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is so charming, sad and funny that you will blush, cry and laugh simultaneously during Winslet's & Carrey's oscar-worthy performances.
  100. J.
    Oct 11, 2006
    Guess what? I get it. And it's WAY OVERRATED.

1. Not only (Kaufman's) most accessible and romantic screenplay, it's his most complete. The third act works like a charm and pulls all his themes, characters and conflicts together beautifully.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    A wildly imaginative, hugely entertaining tour de force that asks big questions about life and love and fate while never ceasing to fully engage the viewer.
    Chases so many ideas that it threatens to spin out of control. But with our multiplexes stuffed with toxic Hollywood formula, it's a gift to find a ballsy movie that thinks it can do anything, and damn near does.