7.0

1. Oct 21, 2014
    This is the best picture I've ever seen. Its great on so many levels I dont know where to begin, like its use of real life-like NASA footage to the real scientific argument of the possibility of life on Eurpa(even a clip of Neil Degrasse Tyson). There were no "red herrings" or romance interest between the crew, which is rare in movies now a days, and most of all the story of the crew and how each one sacrifice themselves for one another as well as their research. Expand
  2. Oct 10, 2014
    The film is one of the real sci-fi film without explosion and combat but focus on the main goal of the mission; find a sign of life on another planet (actually a natural satellite of Jupiter).

Storyline is great and interesting. My hearth pounded as if I were they on that spaceship and fear of what is waiting outside.
    Acting is great. They made me truly believe they are scientist who
    devote their life for scientific discoveries.
    Visual effect are undoubtedly beautiful and realistic. I can said that is what REAL Europa should looks like when we land on her in the next few decades. They did a great job for scientific accuracy.
  3. Sep 21, 2014
    Its always good to see that the movie industry is not completely brain-dead when it comes to creative risk taking.

The movie is told through a documentary like perspective, and it has really convincing acting. This movie is no "nice throwback scifi movie" and some deeper themes are explored if you look really hard. The movie does not get caught back in stuff that other scifi movies get
    into, like badly forced themes and misfit love stories, this movie is straight to the point.

The movie is clearly coped well with a fairly low budget, and I respect it for that. The movie is 100% worth a try, and if you did not like it (due to its fairly mixed opinions), no biggie! Its not like the 6$ or so is a great investment, especially to see something never before done (at least done properly (yes Im talking about you Astronaut))
  4. Sep 4, 2014
    I thought this film started off very well but then the plot line became a bit mired for my tastes. The acting was fine but the script became to thin in the middle. It sort of went from being an intelligent and challenging film to being a typical space disaster movie. I wonder why. The idea was interesting enough but it became improbable with creatures easily breaking through six feet of ice as if it was salt water taffy. I recommend it if you are looking for a hit of science fiction but it won't do for the evening by itself-you will finish watching t needing to see something else to break the mood of faint doom created by it. Expand
  5. May 25, 2014
    A decent Sci-Fi that delivers on realism and some amazing scenes but falls back into the space horror cliche. For the most part the film takes place in the ship and we see them via on-board camera. This choice of filming has it ups and downs but Sebastián Cordero was able to get some amazing shots especially when they are in their space suits.

The movie follows a team of 5 sent to
    Europa the fourth largest moon of Jupiter. This moon has water underneath it's ice sheets and they are going to be looking for bacteria in the ice and water near a weak spot. They end up being off course and end up needing someone to go outside and collect some surface samples. Karolina Wydra (Dr. Katya Petrovna) is the one to do it and while out there she finds algae growing on the ice. She is about to turn back to the ship when she sees and light underneath the ice going back and forth until she stands there in amazement until the ice brakes from beneath her. You basically already know whats going to happen and how it's going to end. A real cool thing is that the last person ends up offing themselves just to to record the monster on the camera.

Sharlto Copley the only real big actor in this and he is the first one to die off he doesn't even make it to Europa. Him and another crew mate have to go out into space to fix something on the spaceship and something goes wrong which leads to him drifting off into space to die of no oxygen. The film lends nothing to his death and it moves onto the next person like nothing happened.

Overall i give it a 6.5 While i do love the realism and the shots of space that are in this movie i just can't over the fact the when it comes down to it the movie ends up being another lost in space monster movie.
  6. May 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. buena pelicula con efectos interesantes sin caer en exagerados , actuaciones, la forma que utilizan las cámaras como si fuera en directo lo hacen mas interesante. Expand
  7. Jan 25, 2014
    This is the Blair witch project in space. This movie actually proves that we have to much time on our hands. After waking up from a nap this thing was still on. Your best bet is to Keep scrolling Net-flix for something better.
  8. Jan 21, 2014
    Although the premise of the movie seems a little flawed (Why would we send a manned flight to one of Jupiter's moons to do a job that could just as easily be done with probes?), I nonetheless found it thoroughly engrossing. It's hard science-fiction done well. The camera-work (the found-footage technique is used) and minimalist sound editing do a great job of inserting you into the claustrophobic confines of the spacecraft. The character development is fantastic and I'm not going to give anything away, but there are a fair number of little puzzles that the viewer gets to work on for a while before the answers are made apparent. Great film! Expand
  9. Jan 3, 2014
    Europa Report 8/10. I loved it. Bravo Sebastián Cordero, you did with a 10 million dollar budget what Shane Black and 200 million could only dream of: make a great movie, LOL. Seriously, if you're a sci-fi fan tired of the same old predictable repetitive crap, then watch this. It has tension, emotion, depth, mystery, everything that makes a great sci-fi movie.
  10. Dec 29, 2013
    Nope, boring and long drawn out, payoff only came in last minute. Mildly interesting intellectually but poor audience-design. That is, NASA types may find this very engaging but this screenplay wasn't written with the general public in mind.
  11. Dec 15, 2013
    Surprisingly good visuals for a low budget film. This is the proof you can make a film with not that big of a budget but make it interesting, intense and such an attention grabber. Really enjoyed the journey and felt like I was in space. I felt the fear one must feel in this kind of situation. Maybe the very end was a little out of place (the last scenes). But overall, everybody did a good job and the landing on Europa was so captivating. I would give it a 7.5. Expand
  12. Nov 28, 2013
    Shot in a documentary-style with lots of jumping around and "live"/recorded camera feeds from the ship and from a handheld, which isn't a type of movie I generally like but I gave this a chance. The pacing and the order of things seemed a little jumbled and confused in the beginning but got better towards the middle I think they jumped around way too much. Arguably it did add to more to the mystery of what happened during the mission as well as helped to build some further tension, but I think the pacing and order of the scenes could have been done much better.

The performances by the cast were actually very good, and the characters did have some depth to them. That said there were a lot of strange actions, much involving plain disregard for protocols and safety measures that astronauts training for deep space missions would simply not do.

While evident that the budget wasn't exactly big, I think they did a good job with this movie. But the fact that I don't really like documentary-type films plus my dislike of the pacing, scene-order, and parts of the plot knock the rating down for me. Watchable and entertaining for the most part, but not exactly a movie I'd tell someone they have to see.
  13. Nov 22, 2013
    Amazing special effects and visuals. Some stupid choices are made that trained professional astronauts would never make, and proper safety measures weren't followed most of the time. Over all I really enjoyed this creepy sci-fi thriller and applaud the sheer scope of this film's purpose.
  14. Nov 13, 2013
    Not every sci-fi movie is an action-packed super-hero popcorn flick. Luckily! And Europa Report shines among those, lately rather rare examples.

Europa Report follows the line of a documentary and does that so successfully that I, throughout the movie, kept forgetting that humans actually have not yet landed on Europa. While the search for extraterrestrial is in fact the focus of the
    mission, it is not the focus of this movie, but rather human behavior and psychology, the magic of exploration and the steps we are ready to take for something that is larger than individual life.

The story flows beautifully and, yes, with time-jumps demands full attention from the viewer. And as a consequence also delivers a great deal of excitement and enjoyment.

I definitely recommend to all the science, space exploration and old- school-sci-fi fans.
  15. Oct 22, 2013
    This is a much watch sci fi movie. Many sci fi movies use C level CGI and throw lots of aliens/zombies at you in the same old predictable story line. Europa Report uses none of the above mentioned things and keeps you on the edge of your seat as you do not know what is going to happen.
  16. Oct 19, 2013
    big sci-fi fan. Surprisingly light on substance, this movie is a sci-fi blair witch project, too stale of formula to be given a high rating. The budget was just too low to make this sort of movie. Throughout the middle of the movie it just teases the audience's interest by alluding to mysterious event which happened (can't be more specific here without spoiling) earlier. Movies resort to this tease when It needs to stall out audience interest. The last act of the movie really needed some more budget, as you never escape the interior of the ship. Pretty lame as the audience has been waiting in anticipation. Expand
  17. Oct 11, 2013
    I went into this one with no real expectations but found a movie that was attention grabbing and something that was fresh in the "discover alien life" and "found footage" genres. The presentation of the story is the biggest highlight of this film--second only to the story itself and the tension that unfolds from it. The movie is NOT told in a linear fashion and its creative editing is enough to make you say, "Aha!" more than once. The director also did a great job of making the film feel tense, and did so while keeping the cameras (mostly) stationary--it's a "found footage" movie after all...and being a "found footage" film, "Europa Report" was able to dodge all the pitfalls that becomes that subgenre and was actually watchable (I can't stand "found footage" movies). The only real downside is the movie's special effects aren't the best but with a great story, great presentation, great acting and a fantastic ending (not all the elements are great...some are better!), the movie doesn't fail to entertain. Expand
  18. Sep 28, 2013
    When a sci-fi movie achieves a certain degree of excellence I have special category of greatness where I place such films. Europa Report, the little known sci-fi film of summer 2013 is placed squarely in this special category.

The farthest than humankind has ever traveled; Europa Report takes us to a moon orbiting Jupiter where researchers believe there may be life. As a crew of
    scientists and engineers depart Earth they tread the well-worn path of many a space movie. Traveling to Europa the crew have their squabbles, their celebrations, their successes, their letters and videos made for loved ones on earth.

Then lines go dead. They loose all contact with Earth. They have every possible gear malfunction imaginable, including a few mental and emotional ones. Director Sebastian Cordero permits this display, the usual psychological strains the typical sci-fi film character faces, but Cordero keeps them to a minimum. He does not rely on these typical factors to carry the film. The clichés become less and less important as the adventure of the actual mission intensifies

Once on the crew arrive on the moon Europa everything goes wrong. When characters we’ve become fond of start dramatically disappearing we realize this is not a story about the power of the human spirit’s ability to overcome all odds. This is intended as a realistic portrayal of a real mission. What it would actually be like to venture to the far reaches of our solar system. It is a stunning achievement.

For 10 million dollars this film transcends basic film devices. The Astronauts’ struggles to survive become incidental. Europa Report takes us past the mere human crusade of survival. Way past.

Errata: Surprisingly the crew miscalculates the temperature of Europa as absolute zero. Absolute zero is a scientific impossibility according to the Smithsonian. Particles no longer move and energy is no longer transferred. At absolute zero, the principle that prevents perpetual motion from existing which is also used as an adjective to describe the decent into disorder- entropy- reaches its minimum value. The scenes on Europa are overflowing with entropy, so this absolute zero declaration is blatantly false.

19. Sep 2, 2013
    The question of what else is out there in the universe is one that has wrapped our collective consciousness ever since Galileo discovered the Earth orbited the sun and we weren't as flat as everyone assumed we were. Europe Report is a film that tries to answer the question while trying to terrify the viewer with predictable cares thought up years ago. When the crew of the Europa One are cut off from Earth when their communications are destroyed by a solar flare they are forced to do their mission alone, a multi year journey to Europa, a moon of Jupiter where scientists have discovered signs of possible life. Filled with meaning and deep philosophical questions about our role in this universe, Europa Report doesn't feel like a piece of entertainment, it feels like a science lesson video, a great looking science documentary that doesn't aim to entertain but make you wonder. It does what it says on the tin and makes you question things but it fails to entertain on a filmic level, it plays like a cliche ridden horror film that ends in a predictable way. The cast are good with the best performances coming from District 9's Sharlto Copley whose devoted family man is an interesting and unique addition to a horror film and he stands out from the pack, Michael Nyqvist also impresses as the guilt ridden and depressive lead engineer on the project. Embeth Davitz bookends the film as an overly emotional lead researcher down on Earth who provides context and relevance to the mission but all these attempts to make the film seem cosmically important make it a slow exercise in asking questions we cannot possibly know the answer to making for a slow paced exercise in futility. Expand
  20. Aug 25, 2013
    Visually interesting: use of multiple cam shots from different parts of the shuttle, scratchy disconnections etc. Interesting plot: loss of connection to missile control, and the team continues on with the mission. I wouldn't normally watch science fiction, but I found this really engaging: especially the passion how important this was to them and it was believable, not over the top. Interesting actors. Expand
  21. Aug 16, 2013
    A gratifying and mystifying science fiction thriller that delivers with expert detail, impressive visuals, and a captivating sense of realism that can be described as breathtaking, as well as thought provoking.
  22. Aug 6, 2013
    A very well made film, but it's not a sci-fi game changer. There is a lot of scenes that give a realistic look of what it might feel like to be in space. B-
  23. Aug 5, 2013
    I went into watching this with Syfy channel expectations... What I left with was a smart. Visually impressive. Realistic "lost footage" film about a journey in space. Fantastic film and highly recommended.
  24. Aug 4, 2013
    Europe Report by Sebastián Cordero: I had high expectations for this film, but I had a little incuriosito.Il film manages to put tension throughout its duration, is consistent with himself, affascina.Riesce in order to be realistic despite the budget remeber, maybe there's a little something that could be done a little better, but you can not gloss over some difetti.I protagonists behave in a credible way, there is the appeal to discovery, there is a lot of curiosity in what accade.Il everything is made with the technique of found footage, which in this case is apt for this film.Ci are references to other science fiction films like A Space Odyssey that are sure to please however the film for me is very cool piacevole.Davvero is a good science fiction movie, definitely worth watching (I hope it comes out sooner or later in Italy), one of the best of its kind in recent years. Expand
  25. Aug 3, 2013
    Europa Report is no short of amazing, dark and mysterious with dazzling effects; you can actually believe that you are with the characters on the spaceship, and the discovery, it is a beautiful wonder to sight. The whole movie has the cold claustrophobic feel to it, which is a unique style and feeling. This movie actually proves that we can bring science fiction thrillers without the use of much budget and gross out scenes ex: Alien & Aliens! Europa Report is a beautiful journey through the wonders of the universe around us. Just beautiful and a definite must see! Best of 2013! Expand
  26. Aug 2, 2013
    Awesome movie. I loved the way story incorporated actual science behind it. The effectThis movie proves you can make a compelling sci fi movie on a limited budget. I highly recommend this movie.

1. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Aug 22, 2013
    These characters are more than willing to risk their lives to further advances in science. That’s a passion and dedication that fuels Europa Report, and Cordero makes the most of it.
  2. Reviewed by: Walter Addiego
    Aug 15, 2013
    Director Cordero manages the not-bad trick of generating suspense while keeping the overall tone cool and collected.
  3. Reviewed by: Mark Feeney
    Aug 9, 2013
    Technique largely does the work of imagination. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. The nuts and bolts of Europa Report may feel very familiar, but the movie doesn’t look quite like anything else.