Eleven Arts | Release Date: January 21, 2011
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 47 Ratings
WATCH NOW
marcmyworksDec 20, 2016
This film was spectacular, the animation, the voice acting, the computer graphics, the storyline. The film in whole gives me new respect for Japanese animation and the Evangelion franchise.
dat-weebJun 10, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. as a massive evangelion fan boy this review might be kinda just a fan boys love for his favourite mecha anime i have also seen both sub and dub. to start with the opening music on the menu is beautiful it really hits your emotions, the ost in general is beautiful with songs to fit every moment. A good example of this is at the 1:10:00 mark where shinji fights bardiel the song its self is talking about friendship and always being friends foreer as he is forced to "kill" Asuka. Now onto the normal sounds they are amazing you can hear all the little crunches as they fight and it will either hype you up or make your skin crawl.
Now onto the characters themselves for the span of the film they are well developed but don't come into the movie expecting the deep characters that we all loved in neon genesis evangelion as the first major change to them all is asuka Langley soryu who is now asuka langely shikinami she still has her cocky nature but she is alot more distant compared to her NGE counterpart. The new pilot mari makes the movie as she adds a new side to eva pilots she is someone who loves it an would rather die fighting than die like a nobody. To me she is better in the dub as you can feel the anger and adrenaline in her voice more and she is pretty foul mouthed so thats a plus.
overall just watch it and enjoy some beautiful anime, music and a great story.
TheOtherGuy103Jan 7, 2014
The movie is a very good movie, don't get me wrong here. But it does have more problems than 1.11 and 3.33

For one, the whole film felt very rushed in terms of its pacing. There were so many Angel fights and action scenes that I was wondering when I would get a time to rest (With a run time of nearly 2 hours, you'd expect to be able to).

I will also say that there is way too much fan service in this movie when compared to the amount that was in 1.11 and 3.33. I understand that they are condensing pretty much half of the original series in this film, and that they are trying to cram in all of the fan-service that was present in those episodes, but it feels rather cluttered.

That being said, if one pays attention to the dialogue, the characters' expressions, the story, etc. they will find that the film is pretty much the same as the original series in terms of themes and concepts. Sure, they are a little diluted, but present.

And what can I say about the visual aspect of this film? The animation, the art, the CG... All of it was spectacular! I will also say that a few scenes that are in this film, and were present in the original series, are much more elaborate and effective (For example, the scene where Unit 01 gets controlled by the dummy plug).

All in all, the movie is cluttered, but it is still worth a watch!
jake38Oct 1, 2013
a kick ass return to the neon genesis franchise. after the disaster that was the episodes 25 and 26 and the failure that was the end of evangelion its nice to see that neon genesis will not go quietly into the night.
julespittJul 25, 2012
When Hideaki Anno first made the original series I was mesmerised by the deepness and psychology behind the anime. Unlike many, the under budgeted end to the show pulled me even further into the world of Evangelion, and hungry for more IWhen Hideaki Anno first made the original series I was mesmerised by the deepness and psychology behind the anime. Unlike many, the under budgeted end to the show pulled me even further into the world of Evangelion, and hungry for more I started reading Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's manga interpretation. We now find ourselves face to face with another remake that flirts with the possibility of being a sequel and all I can say is that Anno is doing the only thing that can be done with the storyline, and that is to reinterpret it. Evangelion needs no prequel, midquel or sequel because it's a perfectly closed story that needs no further add ons. Hideaki Anno is the father of the Evangelion Universe and is taking on a remake with his own hands; not selling out to produce an unfamiliar vision of his work, not selling the rights to western producers, and investing in making his previous work, if not better, certainly refreshing and different.

For keeping Evangelion alive in the best way possible, I give this movie and the first one, the ultimate grade.
Robot-DudeJul 22, 2012
As a long time fan of this series I was super excited that they remade this, for anyone who has seen the series and got stumped on the ending episodes this is for you. Most of the original cast is back, which I think was the second bestAs a long time fan of this series I was super excited that they remade this, for anyone who has seen the series and got stumped on the ending episodes this is for you. Most of the original cast is back, which I think was the second best English dubbed anime behind Cowboy Bebop. Most of the more memorable scenes have been re-animated, while some small plots have changed things up a little which is nice for people looking for something more than just an updated Evangelion anime. There is a new character introduced in 2.0 which I'm not overly crazy about, obviously included as a sex symbol like Yoko was for Gurren Lagann. Overall this is a must see for any hardcore fan of the series, or someone into Mech/sci-fi shows. And I am eagerly awaiting Evangelion 3.0. Expand
HackuityJan 5, 2012
One of the main features of the Evangelion brand is the ability to re-tell itself keeping the same pathos and overall impact: judging a film like this means accepting the truth that Evangelion is not an excuse to tell a story, but a deep andOne of the main features of the Evangelion brand is the ability to re-tell itself keeping the same pathos and overall impact: judging a film like this means accepting the truth that Evangelion is not an excuse to tell a story, but a deep and psychological experience you can live and live and live again in slightly different ways every time Gainax releases a new media. It doesn't sound that bad to me if new details are added to that great mosaic of symbolism Evangelion is known to be, especially if they are painted with new technologies and shading techniques. Expand
Rogueleader17Aug 24, 2011
The second in the newly remade Evangelion series. The new visuals were excellent, with some very spectacular and detailed animation. Comparing the story to the first series storyline, much of the slower parts of the old series that focused onThe second in the newly remade Evangelion series. The new visuals were excellent, with some very spectacular and detailed animation. Comparing the story to the first series storyline, much of the slower parts of the old series that focused on characters development and some less important episodes were cut to in order to fit the story into four films. The movies also changes much of the original series by the addition of new characters and in the early introduction of ones found much later in the show. The most drastic change was at the ending of this movie. Overall I like the new movies but would have preferred the movies be longer or additional movies be made to fit more of the classic scenes in the old series. This is a must for Eva and anime fans everywhere. Expand
wordy_actionsAug 6, 2011
The second of the Evangelion remake movies. The visuals, characters, and pacing continues to impress. This movie roughly follows the later episodes of the anime, but with many significant changes (far more than the first movie), most notablyThe second of the Evangelion remake movies. The visuals, characters, and pacing continues to impress. This movie roughly follows the later episodes of the anime, but with many significant changes (far more than the first movie), most notably the inclusion of a new pilot. Being a remake, it's not as ground-breaking as the anime was nor as original, but I still found the movie vastly entertaining. So far the first two movies have been unfortunately formulaic in certain aspects though. Angel attack, Angel is defeated against all odds, character development, character development is interrupted by Angel attack, repeat. This highlights the main problem of taking an entire series and putting them into 4 movies. While both movies have satisfying emotional endings, nothing in the story is wrapped up. These complaints don't detract much from the movie though. So far these movies are shaping up to be a very good remake of a classic series. The animation is amazing, the voice acting for the most part is very good (especially that of the new character), and the action is jaw-dropping. If you were a fan of the series, check it out. Expand