Everybody's Fine

7.4

1. ChadS.
    Dec 9, 2009
    The DeNiro who curses, that's the DeNiro we're most familiar with; the DeNiro of the seventies and eighties, the DeNiro of verve and purpose. What ever happened to that guy? As a widower named Frank Goode, this iconic portrayer of miscreants and misfits may have his best part since he played an honest bus driver in Chazz Palmenteri's "A Bronx Tale". In "Everybody's The DeNiro who curses, that's the DeNiro we're most familiar with; the DeNiro of the seventies and eighties, the DeNiro of verve and purpose. What ever happened to that guy? As a widower named Frank Goode, this iconic portrayer of miscreants and misfits may have his best part since he played an honest bus driver in Chazz Palmenteri's "A Bronx Tale". In "Everybody's Fine", a remake of the 1990 Giusepppe Tornatore Italian original("Stanno tutti bene"), the DeNiro of Bananarama exaltation almost comes to fruition: "Robert DeNiro's waiting/talking Italian"(of course, he speaks English), and in the process, almost erases the memory of, for starters, his turn as a knife salesman in Tony Scott's "The Fan". Granted, the role of a man who tries to reconnect with his adult children is far from classic DeNiro, but it's also far from sell-out DeNiro, or pissing-on-my-own-legacy DeNiro, too. To our relief, Frank never physically or sexually abused his children. In the opening sequence, the lonely middle-aged man tends to his empty house and perfect lawn in preparation for a motherless get-together, the first since her funeral, which the moviegoer reads, as somebody who is tidying up a messy past, a possible scene of the crime. Thankfully, the past wasn't too messy, nor the crime unforgivable. While Frank cusses in front of his grandson after taking a few bad whacks at some golf balls, the moviegoer remembers films such as the aforementioned "The Fan", and Michael Caton-Jones' "This Boy's Life", in which DeNiro's seemingly normal exterior hid a dark side. At some point, he'd grimace. This time, Frank is not too heavy, not too light. He remains likable throughout the flashbacks. Frank simply loved his children, the oldest, in particular, to death. Expand
  2. BenedictC
    Dec 5, 2009
    I can't understand why everyone is being so hard on this film! I really enjoyed it. It is so great to see Robert De Niro in a 'proper' role again after many years of comedy. He subtly bring across the character of Frank seeing his family unravel before him with touching subtlety and understanding. I thought Same Rockwell and drew Barryomre put in excellent performances as I can't understand why everyone is being so hard on this film! I really enjoyed it. It is so great to see Robert De Niro in a 'proper' role again after many years of comedy. He subtly bring across the character of Frank seeing his family unravel before him with touching subtlety and understanding. I thought Same Rockwell and drew Barryomre put in excellent performances as well. The end is a little schmaltzy but, to be honest, that's forgivable. A likable, delightful film which makes you think about your dad more than you probably have for years. Expand
  3. Heather
    Jan 3, 2010
    This move is great! One of the best family movies I have seen in awhile. I live in the midwest and that movie portrays the average father almost perfectly. The father figure is alway's the one that is tough on the family while everyone runs to the mom when they need to tell their parents something. Where I'm from, the mother is the one who holds the whole family together and This move is great! One of the best family movies I have seen in awhile. I live in the midwest and that movie portrays the average father almost perfectly. The father figure is alway's the one that is tough on the family while everyone runs to the mom when they need to tell their parents something. Where I'm from, the mother is the one who holds the whole family together and this movie shows that perfectly. This movie had wonderful acting and portrayed the relationship between families to a perfect tee. Expand
  4. LindaB.
    Mar 29, 2010
    I've seen this film twice in two days with different people. Interestingly enough, I thought it would be a fun film dealing with the dynamics of the family. From start to end I was emotionally drawn in and never let go. This is a film that stays with you long after you finish watching. It sends home a very special message and it is a must see for not only all parents but their kids too.
  5. DesmondP.
    Dec 7, 2009
    I certainly did not see this movie as anything like "cheap sentimentality". In fact. other than A Serious Man, I dont know of a better 2009 release. I guess one has to be both an old man ans a Dad to really appreciate it.
  6. ReginaT
    Dec 9, 2009
    De Niro was wonderful as a typical Dad who works his life to support his family and assumes that as long as the bills are paid, all must be well. It is a great story about reconnecting families and relationships as we age. It is a must see this holiday season. Yeah to all involved!
  7. MarilynK
    Dec 5, 2009
    The journey got a bit predictable, but the acting was great. Though the relationship with Deniro and David was emphasized a bit much, the final message that human beings were fine being their imperfect selves was one this society needs to hear more of. I was touched.
  8. BobP.
    Dec 8, 2009
    This movie is much better than 48 out of 100 it received. It should've been ranked in high 80s. I don't know what is going on with Roger Ebert these days. He believes Bad Leiuitenat is much better than this movie? I saw this film last night, and you could tell that everybody in that theater loved this film. Everybody sat through all of the credits at the end.
  9. RosieJ.
    Dec 9, 2009
    This movie was the biggest tear jerker I've experienced in quite sometime, bawling out loud in the theatre proves true artistry and connection to an audience. De Niro delivers an incredible performance once again- the story line does begin to get predictable but still a wonderful film. Extremely touching and depressingly realistic...definitely worth seeing with family members.
  10. Jun 22, 2015
    Everybody's Fine is a good family film that may have a few clich├ęs but it does have a pretty strong cast with pretty good performances. Robert De Niro is great in this movie in a calm, laid back performance. This film is heart warming and it is easy to make connections with it. This film gives you a lot to think about.

1. A cloyingly sentimental story that rings false in every moment.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew Barker
    Though a bit too artful to merit the pejorative "tearjerker" label, the film is rigorously streamlined to deliver a good emotional uppercut by the end, and purely on the strength of its craft, it connects.
    Robert De Niro's only good at playing a dad in movies starring Ben Stiller? It's all so much raging bull.