7.4

1. Apr 5, 2013
    What can I say about this other than it's amazing? It's everything you want in a horror film. It's bloody, gory, and disgusting all in a good way. It never fails to keep a creepy time to it throughout the film. It all looks just so realistic too. There's no CGI. Only practical effects which makes it 10 times better. I'll probably see this movie 3 more times while it's in theaters
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    This remake of the 1981 classic really delivers. It's very entertaining in a scary sense and in a gory sense. The only real problem about this movie is that it's too short. An amazing horror thriller like this should be at least 2 hours long. Not 91 minutes. Just too short. Overall, it's a scary/gory good time you'll have at the movies this year.
  3. Sep 28, 2013
    Ok so i have been looking for a very long time.All i have to say is it's a "MUST SEE!" It is a very awesome gore fest, good story line, and it has no sex. I think that really good horror movies don't always need it.this movie had my blood running hott. It is epic!, why are you still reading!??!! Go watch it!.
  4. Apr 5, 2013
    First off, if you're a fan of the original series, stay to the VERY end of the credits. I enjoyed the movie contrary to public opinion, there is humor in it, just not nearly as much as the originals. And it's not as charming. Tons of graphic violence, mutilation, and gore, but you don't feel for the characters as much as I'd have liked. It's almost a tribute to the original with theFirst off, if you're a fan of the original series, stay to the VERY end of the credits. I enjoyed the movie contrary to public opinion, there is humor in it, just not nearly as much as the originals. And it's not as charming. Tons of graphic violence, mutilation, and gore, but you don't feel for the characters as much as I'd have liked. It's almost a tribute to the original with the new treatment of the Necromicon and the "quick" camera through the forest. In 10 years, if I had my pick of this film or the original, it's an easy decision. Gotta go with Raimi and Bruce Campbell. Expand
  5. Apr 20, 2013
    Few directors can control your emotions like Evil Dead does; Fede Alvarez crafts perfectly one of the best modern horror movies of the decade; sure, the original Evil Dead is better, but this remake makes you squirm in your seat and is an utterly assault on the senses. Astonishing.
  6. Apr 25, 2013
    It does what all good remakes should do. Fede Alvarez focuses on create a film that he wanted to make, creating a style and experience that is unique to itself. But also adds references to please the fans of the original. However marks must be dropped for not being able to scare me once.
  7. May 13, 2013
    I was spooked, I was grossed out, and I laughed. It was a great ride! What a treat to get an actual horror movie amongst the films that pass as horror these days. For a guy who grew up on this stuff, I had SO much fun watching this.
  8. Jun 29, 2013
    Evil Dead is a first rate horror movie with a pleasant and developed plot with fascinating but scary as hell practical effects. It is the best horror movie out since Cabin in the Woods.
  9. Jul 20, 2013
    It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The dialogue was generally unwitty, and there weren't many clever moments. I appreciated some of the accents they threw in there as nods to the horror genre, and as a genre film, it definitely stands up to the task. It cut out a lot of the more tired moments in horror cinema as well (Hint: no one gets killed while having a forced, passionate moment). AllIt wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The dialogue was generally unwitty, and there weren't many clever moments. I appreciated some of the accents they threw in there as nods to the horror genre, and as a genre film, it definitely stands up to the task. It cut out a lot of the more tired moments in horror cinema as well (Hint: no one gets killed while having a forced, passionate moment). All in all I think they set out what they wanted to do. It left me mostly unimpressed and unaffected. What I am giving my score for is mostly the cinematography itself: it was fantastic. The colors in the movie and the general lighting were top notch. They REALLY went above and beyond with the cabin as a setting and they just really worked the camera. Several times I realized I was impressed by the atmosphere. So, while I'm not a huge fan of splatter "cover your eyes" gore at the expense of the health of a cast of poor, bewildered 20-somethings, I AM a fan of great camera work, clever sets, and beautiful lighting, something this film has in spades. Expand
  10. Apr 25, 2013
    ok i like this movie it has, blood, scary jumps, great use of lights and realistic, but like the majority of the viewers all we want is to see something from the past movies yes they had the chainsaw, the rusty old car that i think it was Ash car but i remember that the car also time travel with him but well i s a good movie i really hate the actors in the new horror movies they are allok i like this movie it has, blood, scary jumps, great use of lights and realistic, but like the majority of the viewers all we want is to see something from the past movies yes they had the chainsaw, the rusty old car that i think it was Ash car but i remember that the car also time travel with him but well i s a good movie i really hate the actors in the new horror movies they are all the same cute girls and cute boys when are we going to see a realistic actors? good movie i recommend it Expand
  11. Jul 20, 2013
    Personally, A great horror that gives you the skin crawling feeling you would expect from this gore fest. Go see it if you saw the original or if you didn't.
  12. Jul 25, 2013
    This new take on Sam Raimi's original cult classic "The Evil Dead", lives up to the legacy. Not shying away from inventive horror gore, unflinching and relentless violence, this re-imagined approach brings something fresh to fans of the original. Of particular note is the acting of Jane Levy who plays the tortured damsel-in-distress-turned-heroine. A must for die hard fans of theThis new take on Sam Raimi's original cult classic "The Evil Dead", lives up to the legacy. Not shying away from inventive horror gore, unflinching and relentless violence, this re-imagined approach brings something fresh to fans of the original. Of particular note is the acting of Jane Levy who plays the tortured damsel-in-distress-turned-heroine. A must for die hard fans of the original franchise, and horror genre fans. Expand
  13. Aug 6, 2013
    This movie kept surprising me. I am a fan of the original series and every time I thought the movie was going on a wrong turn, it just snapped back and proved me wrong. It is *ultra* violent but not in a bad way. See it.
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    This was simply an amazing movie. Plenty of blood and gore, great soundtrack, and it nailed the classic horror feel. The plot was very simple and sometimes corny which is why there's some hate, but you have to remember it's a remake of the 1981 movie. I'd highly recommend this movie to ANYONE. Don't listen to the hate. I'm probably going to go back and see this a few more times.
  15. Apr 17, 2013
    It's one hell of a gore-fest, plain and simple. We all know what is going to happen before the film starts.....you know it, I know it. The result is nothing short of spectacular because it is so gloriously done. It takes all the best parts of the Evil Dead films and makes one master entry of all. There is no camp, no slapstick.....it just takes itself seriously and that above all else isIt's one hell of a gore-fest, plain and simple. We all know what is going to happen before the film starts.....you know it, I know it. The result is nothing short of spectacular because it is so gloriously done. It takes all the best parts of the Evil Dead films and makes one master entry of all. There is no camp, no slapstick.....it just takes itself seriously and that above all else is what makes it work. Expand
  16. Apr 5, 2013
    I was hyped to see this movie for quite some time, but was disappointed at the overall outcome. This is a solid remake, but still rated way too high by most viewers. It has it's fair share of scares but nothing groundbreaking or innovative. I would suggest this for horror fans, since it delivers in presentation but lacks in story and wit. Although I must say, Mia (main character) sellsI was hyped to see this movie for quite some time, but was disappointed at the overall outcome. This is a solid remake, but still rated way too high by most viewers. It has it's fair share of scares but nothing groundbreaking or innovative. I would suggest this for horror fans, since it delivers in presentation but lacks in story and wit. Although I must say, Mia (main character) sells this movie compared to the rest of the cast which were quite lackluster in performance. Beginning is definitely the scariest, with many fillers throughout that I personally didn't think had the same feel. Without spoilers, there is one part that is SCARY AS HELL and gets really personal, which is mainly why I gave my overall rating 7/10. Good movie, just not great. Expand
  17. Apr 15, 2013
    The original Evil Dead film is now commonly know by the members of it's wide spread cult, as one of the most influential horror films of all time, and that is one of the main stepping stones to modern horror, an extremely violent film with a bite for comedy and satire. many forget that when it first came out, the only intentions that the film had were to frighten you senselessly, with aThe original Evil Dead film is now commonly know by the members of it's wide spread cult, as one of the most influential horror films of all time, and that is one of the main stepping stones to modern horror, an extremely violent film with a bite for comedy and satire. many forget that when it first came out, the only intentions that the film had were to frighten you senselessly, with a unflinchingly grotesque imagery of blood and gore. much of the humor and surreals often associated with the film did not show until the legendary evil dead 2. the new film, from first time feature film director Fede Alverez, doesn't try to compare to the comedy of evil dead 2, but to go head to head at increasing the violence of the original, and at that, the new film succeeds.

setting up a story that you will instantly recognize, with a few slight differences, 5 post college students go to an abandoned cabin in the woods to wean on of the members of of their drug addiction. prepared for the worst, the group braces themselves for the withdrawal from the drugs to kick in, and make a vow to not leave until the drug addict has recovered.

The slight changes to the typical story work to the films favor changing the characters from the 5 caricatures of horror films (look into "the cabin in the woods" for an example of them), and, while not exactly crafting fully believable people, it at least avoid to many of the stereotypes that plague the genre. Placing one of the characters as a drug addict also explains the reason why they are so situated on remain there, even when the situation goes bad.

While these enhancements may flesh out the story a bit, that wouldn't matter at all if the film itself wasn't scary and intense, which, thankfully, it is. once the violence and demonic possession start, the violence of it never lets up. constricted th a tight 91 minute running time, the film never slows down, always setting up the next violence set piece to come just a minute later. The violence itself obviously wishes to live up to the originals brilliant use of all kinds of gore, and at that the film also excels. by far this is the most extreme horror film to hit wide releases in quite some time, with all kinds of violence to quench the appetites of horror fans, and to nauseate the people who weren't expecting it. frequently, the films violence is so over the top, that it stops becoming frightening, and just becomes almost cartooning in the amount of blood that is splatted through the film.

Overall, the film is an intense, uncompromising horror film, set only to terrify and nauseate, which is exactly what the original would have wanted.
  18. Apr 26, 2013
    i find this movie amazing. i think my friends and i enjoyed it much more after watching the entire trilogy before hand, so i recommend you do that before hand. i also recommend staying till after the credits ;3.
  19. May 18, 2013
    Well Sam Raimi is a genius!
    He succeeds to provide every horror movie with the right portions and horror with humor. The Remake is not better than the original, but not worse.
  20. Jul 15, 2013
    Judging this as a remake, it's a masterpiece. Judging this as a film on its own, it's still great. The cinematography and directing is terrific; both create a great sense of dread and there are several tropes that are subverted, mostly during the final act. Speaking of which, the last 25 minutes or so were scary as hell and usually excessive and overt gore annoys me and comes off as cheap,Judging this as a remake, it's a masterpiece. Judging this as a film on its own, it's still great. The cinematography and directing is terrific; both create a great sense of dread and there are several tropes that are subverted, mostly during the final act. Speaking of which, the last 25 minutes or so were scary as hell and usually excessive and overt gore annoys me and comes off as cheap, but here it balanced the cartoonishness and the graphic nature so it didn't come off as distracting and ending up being fun. Also, thank God for practical effects. The makeup and effects looked terrific and were all so convincing, infinitely better than CG crap. The main problem was what seems to be the issue with so many horror films: really weak characters. Only the main girl was worth routing for, and arguably the blonde guy that looked like Kurt Cobain. There was a blonde girl that was completely expendable. And PLEASE STAY AFTER THE CREDITS!!! There's a huge surprise for fans of the series! 8.7/10, great, two thumbs up (barely), above average, etc. Expand
  21. Apr 6, 2013
    This is by far the best horror movie i have ever seen. Its really, trully amazing, phenomenal, disgusting, terryfing and everything more in a whole pack. I Read some negative articles about the words the most terrifying film you will ever experience in the poster... Well, i guess people didn't understand what this sentence wants to transmit. This is a MASTERPIECE, you need to watch. ThisThis is by far the best horror movie i have ever seen. Its really, trully amazing, phenomenal, disgusting, terryfing and everything more in a whole pack. I Read some negative articles about the words the most terrifying film you will ever experience in the poster... Well, i guess people didn't understand what this sentence wants to transmit. This is a MASTERPIECE, you need to watch. This is the exorcist of the new generation, this is all we have ever wanted! Expand
  22. Apr 7, 2013
    Though this may come off as faint praise to some, "Evil Dead" is one of the best horror remakes of the last decade. While not as good as the original, the film does enough right on it's own to make it a solid horror film. With an earthy color palette and thrillingly morbid score, it immerses the viewer into an atmosphere full of dread, tension, and claustrophobia. Most of theThough this may come off as faint praise to some, "Evil Dead" is one of the best horror remakes of the last decade. While not as good as the original, the film does enough right on it's own to make it a solid horror film. With an earthy color palette and thrillingly morbid score, it immerses the viewer into an atmosphere full of dread, tension, and claustrophobia. Most of the cinematography is beautiful, and some of the images displayed hit the primal fear nerve quite efficiently. The gore scenes are effectively tense and brutal in a way that isn't mean-spirited, and the practical effects are some of the best I've seen in a modern horror film. On the downside: some of the acting is rather weak, a couple of the characters are underdeveloped, and the editing is somewhat choppy at points. Though "Evil Dead" is not without it's flaws, I enjoyed it all the way through to it's thrilling and gleefully gory finale. Expand
  23. Apr 8, 2013
    Evil Dead fan here. This movie was actually decent for a horror movie. Think Evil Dead with a budget, but missing the comical genius of Bruce Campbell. In the original, the actors outside of Bruce Campbell were terrible, but in this film everyone does a decent job. Also, glad that they used hardly any CGI, and went mostly with traditional makeup. I don't think we needed a reboot of theEvil Dead fan here. This movie was actually decent for a horror movie. Think Evil Dead with a budget, but missing the comical genius of Bruce Campbell. In the original, the actors outside of Bruce Campbell were terrible, but in this film everyone does a decent job. Also, glad that they used hardly any CGI, and went mostly with traditional makeup. I don't think we needed a reboot of the film, but as a movie it's pretty entertaining. Expand
  24. Apr 11, 2013
    Evil Dead is bloody, violent and just really really well done...its horror is very in your face and physical, its anti CGI.......you feel the blows in the first scene and from there it makes you squirm at the cuts, stabs, pokes and nails to come..

the movie knows this and enjoys tweaking your expectations and unlike many horror genre pics, it does not let the viewer down.. This movie

This movie is much more than a remake...its a totally different film...of course, it references the original in many ways, but goes its own way too, and it uses the original movies to its own advantage..right up to the end.....it natural to compare them..but they are both worthy of enjoyment...

If you have ever in your life enjoyed a bloody horror pic, you owe yourself to see this..
  25. Apr 6, 2013
    This is real Sam Raimi and Fede Alverez entertainment. Evil Deal is a remake of the 1981 horror classic and its way more better now with mind blowing special effects and good chilly scares! The story is good and the scares are nail bitingly good. The film has a point of its slashing gore 24/7 thing, it stands up for its horror and super gory concept! It's a GOOD movie. What else can youThis is real Sam Raimi and Fede Alverez entertainment. Evil Deal is a remake of the 1981 horror classic and its way more better now with mind blowing special effects and good chilly scares! The story is good and the scares are nail bitingly good. The film has a point of its slashing gore 24/7 thing, it stands up for its horror and super gory concept! It's a GOOD movie. What else can you expect from the team of Alverez and Raimi? Nothing but a good, chilly, horrific, gorefest! BloodyDisgusting.com is right about this film being seen once and getting or giving 10/10 entertainment stars! And I agree its a 10/10 entertainment movie! Expand
  26. Apr 8, 2013
    *posted on my original blog, fernandoatthemovies.blogspot.com as well*

I am a huge fan of the original Evil Dead films(The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness). So I was really skeptical going in to see this film. However, I can tell you, as a huge fan of the original trilogy, that I really enjoyed this film more than I thought I was going to. Evil Dead is about when five
    *posted on my original blog, fernandoatthemovies.blogspot.com as well*

Evil Dead is about when five people go into a cabin in the woods, they soon come upon the Necromonican Ex-Mortis, aka The Book of the Dead, where they unwittingly unleash flesh possessing demon, in which one by one are trying to survive.

Even though the story of the film is very cliché and overused, when watching this film, it feels like if it was new. The horror cliché works for the film. Also, I found that the reason why they wouldn't leave to be better than the original, as in this one, they sort of had a point in staying. I also really liked the homage to the original films.

One thing that I liked about this film was the production of it all. You can tell that the creators was trying their best to make a remake that will stand out, in which 99% of the effects of the film were practical, meaning that they made it with little to no CGI. That aspect alone helps the film, as it made the situation look more realistic for the audience. Also, you can also tell that the creators of this film did this movie with so much care and thought to please the original films. Not only were the situations in the film were well shot and executed, but they put it with care. Fede Alvarez, alongside with producers Sam Raimi(director of original films) and Bruce Campbell, do a great job in trying to please the fans.

Speaking of the situations, this film has a lot of brutality against the characters. There is blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. It is not like torture films, in which torturing is the whole point, but there is a lot of it. I am letting you know that if you are very squeamish, then you will have a hard time watching this film. And it feels more real because of all the practical effects. I have no idea how this got an R rating.

Let's talk about the characters. None of them come close to Bruce Campbell's "Groovy" performance of Ash William(star of the original films). In fact, the weakest link to the film was the characterization. Most of the characters are just there to die. You just don't care about most of them.

The ones that I really cared about was Eric, portrayed by Lou Taylor Pucci. Even though he is the reason why this whole thing started, I can't hide the fact that I was rooting for him the most in this film, as well as Mia, portrayed well by Jane Levy, who actually has the best characterization of all of them. These two characters were the ones who took the most beating in this film, and the ones who really stood out.

The only things that I didn't like, other than the characterization, was that it lacks the humor that the original Evil Dead films had. This film was humorless. It also wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be, but watching these people in these situations was fun to watch. This movie is creepy and fun to watch, not scary.

So Evil Dead is a satisfying remake to the franchise, even though it isn't as good as the original films. Fun, Creepy, and INSANELY gory to watch, Evil Dead is Blu-Ray Worthy.(Oh, and if you’re a fan of the original, stay after the credits.)
  27. Apr 6, 2013
    The is my first movie review ever. I'm making it because the the current Metascore of 58 seems like BS and doesn't reflect the quality of the movie whatsoever. No spoilers here, but I haven't watched the original so my opinion may not matter to a lot of you.

Essentially, this movie covers everything that a horror movie should accomplish loads of gore and suspense at every corner, as was promised via the red band trailer. The set up of the plot makes sense with how the story unfolded, but even then, it shouldn't consist of a deliberately retarded protagonist. It was honestly surreal and frustrating how stupid this guy was, almost to the point where I would consider him an antihero. Also, some of the acting was sub-par, but I guess it's not that much of a big deal in a horror movie. The plot wasn't predictable and had a minute number of twists, but at the same time it didn't blow me away and wasn't exactly thought provoking. Again, maybe this isn't a quality of horror movies in general anyway.

So that's pretty much it. Idiot protagonist, meh acting, and a semi-meh plot lead me to give this a 7/10. 8 seems too high, and 6 seems too offensive. I would love to watch this movie again though
  28. Apr 11, 2013
    If your a generation Y-horror movie type person, you'll love the new Evil Dead. People who didn't like the originals are loving this one. Of course, if you come out of the theatre saying "that was AWESOME!" (like most are), then it only proves your likely part of this generations moviegoers that are clueless to Gen X horror flicks, and the movie was desgined with this in mind. The modernIf your a generation Y-horror movie type person, you'll love the new Evil Dead. People who didn't like the originals are loving this one. Of course, if you come out of the theatre saying "that was AWESOME!" (like most are), then it only proves your likely part of this generations moviegoers that are clueless to Gen X horror flicks, and the movie was desgined with this in mind. The modern generation-y "fly by night" audience. Its easier to scare todays audiences because they dont know what a great horror flick is... or what made them great. They're too busy on their phones and tablets and swag to pay attention to a movie for more than 5 minutes anyway, so the producers have to throw in gorish shockers to get their attention back... throw in a story too complex for their "fast food" style mindsets to understand, and they get up and leave. They weren't leaving the theatres this time... unless they were sick... when i went, a couple people threw up and some gals with their boyfriends jumped and cried during scenes. Heh, even some of these bieber-wannabe goons were grossed out and jumping. I laughed deep inside at how easily society is impressed these days.

I personally give "Evil Dead 2013" a 7.5/10.... wasnt terrible, wasnt bad, just to me... was lukewarm for a evil dead flick... Better than almost any recent horroflicks in mind over the past 10 years, but catered too much with weaker, boring characters and plot that most modern horror movies do. There isn't a "Ash" character that steps up to the plate. The story is "hum-dee-dum" at best. Even the deadites are more toned down for the pussified pieces of that are todays society... they are nowhere near as demonic or detailed as that of the 80's versions. It's not scary. It's slightly creepy. It's "a little creepy", at best. But what once was the fear of a nation in the 1970's/80's (satanic cults, black magic, books of the undead) is no longer a fear in 2013... that stuff isnt as spooky as it was back when it was still mysterious and creepy. Why? Because noone fears that stuff anymore... There was alot of uncertainty and social panic over it then, but not today. The Necronomicon isn't nearly a spook factor as it once was. The deadites now even sound ridicolous... they were scary back in the day... they sounded possessed, demonic. Now they sound just lame, very flat, mono, and childish.... imagine a PG13 voice of Regan from "The Exorcist". Fortunately, they do yell some pretty horrific obscentities, such as "ILL YOUR MOTHERS IN HELL", but even that sounds humorous and so cheesy (and not in a good way) that only someone of generation y would find scary or interesting.

Where the new movie excels at, however, is the atmospheric enviornment and the gore. There is TONS of gore. GORE GORE GORE... and boy, they go all out. IF your the least bit queasy to gore, dont bother seeing this.... in any other movie, when you see them about to do something gory and you say "They arent gonna show it"... well, this movie does, and it drags it out till you cringe. And the humour. Its harder to spot in light of a attempted more serious approach, but there is still horror-comedy in it for us fans who know what to look for.. especially in the gore.

If Gore gives you a hard-on and makes the horror movie... then by all means, you will love this movie. And it does a good job with the atmosphere and some throwback nods to the originals. But for the hardcore fans, it's just "ok" and caters WAY TOO MUCH to todays horror movie steretypes to be anything special.

However, anyone else, would probably give it a 9/10 or higher. After all, it is probably the most intense modern day horror movie. For me, though, gore alone doesnt make the movie. Luckily the atmosphere and sick humor were still there just enough for me to enjoy it and give it that 7.5/10. Strip those out, and I'd have given it a 6.5/10

Sadly, I can't mark a 7.5/10 on Metacritic reviews, so rounding it off, it gets an 8/10 here. And this is coming from a hardcore fan of the Evil Dead series who has watched them countless times over the past couple of decades.
  29. Apr 7, 2013
    If you are a true Evil Dead fan, you will not only love, but appreciate this movie's existence.

Don't let any of the poor reviews fool you, don't let the critic scores fool you, this is an amazing score and only proves that paid critics know nothing about good movies.
  30. Apr 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well what can I say, other than AMAZING. The way the trailer led you on and then in the film it just hits you! The best horror film I have seen in a while. Expand
  31. Apr 7, 2013
    This "remake" is a visceral, bloody, painful and incredibly dark re-imagining of the classic horror film. This is not the campy classic original, but a twisted, blood filled gore fest with a terrific sense of being it's own thing while still paying homage to the originals. While the story does have a few holes, its still very well plotted. For the first film by this new director, I lookThis "remake" is a visceral, bloody, painful and incredibly dark re-imagining of the classic horror film. This is not the campy classic original, but a twisted, blood filled gore fest with a terrific sense of being it's own thing while still paying homage to the originals. While the story does have a few holes, its still very well plotted. For the first film by this new director, I look forward to more from him. Go in expecting Death Death and more Death in many different and gruesome ways. A bit of an overkill sometimes, but that's just part of the fun. 8.5/10 Expand
  32. Jun 4, 2013
    "Without a doubt the most sadistic, gruesome and just plain terrifying film i have had the pleasure of seeing. The Evil Dead is gory, disgusting & pays homage to the original while all the same giving the fans the blood and carnage we have been waiting for" A
  33. Apr 22, 2013
    Impressive 'reboot'. Pays a little homage to the original to when it's due, but includes its own spin. Gore? Check. Laughs? Check. Sinister? Check. Spooky sounds? Check. Awesome soundtrack? Check.
    Only the mythology seemed a little contradictory at times, but overall an awesome reboot for the series. Really looking forward to seeing it again!
  34. Apr 29, 2013
    A valiant effort as far as horror remakes go. It never feels like you're just watching a rehashed version of the original as there's a lot of elements in terms of character and plot that take things in a new direction. The characters were a little wooden and there were a few miss-placed sentimental moments but as a whole it captures the spirit of the original and I'm glad I paid to see itA valiant effort as far as horror remakes go. It never feels like you're just watching a rehashed version of the original as there's a lot of elements in terms of character and plot that take things in a new direction. The characters were a little wooden and there were a few miss-placed sentimental moments but as a whole it captures the spirit of the original and I'm glad I paid to see it on the big screen. Definitely worth a watch Expand
  35. Apr 7, 2013
    I'm giving this a 10 because it's probably one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time. Obviously it's not on the same playing field as the original Evil Dead... but it holds its own. It lacks the campiness which I did miss...

Some things that bugged me (spoilers): - characters not interesting, the backstory to the brother sister was snorring. Should have been a couple like

Some things that bugged me (spoilers):
    - characters not interesting, the backstory to the brother sister was snorring. Should have been a couple like the original. They tried to hard.
    - The Book of the Dead lacked a face... I understand to make it look more believable... but then the drawings on the inside looked too polished, and the red writing looked cheese-ball.
    - No atmospheric effects, or lacking much of it. Like the swing chair knocking on door, or woods-demon looking through windows. The horror build didn't exist like the original.
    - Burying his sister, digging her up, her face lacking the scars from the hot water scene, like her face was perfect.

Things I loved:
    - End scene with the chainsaw, how she slices the demon down the middle... the raining blood and the red wetness was reminiscent of The Descent.
    - Slipping on the cheek meat.
    - the actor who played the main character, she was great. Too bad the other actors weren't good like her.
    - Secret ending after credits.
    - Keeping with some camera styles.

The only other movie that I thought was a great horror movie that wasn't from the 70-80s was "The Girl" and "Insidious".
  36. Jul 13, 2013
    Groovy, terrifying and incredibly entertaining. Evil Dead 2013 (unlike most remakes) is made with complete care to the original and pays plenty of fan service as well. Viewers can expect an intense, extremely gory and brutally terrifying instalment that never has a dull moment thanks to great cinematography, a nice pace and realistic prosthetics that make all the over-the-top and gruesomeGroovy, terrifying and incredibly entertaining. Evil Dead 2013 (unlike most remakes) is made with complete care to the original and pays plenty of fan service as well. Viewers can expect an intense, extremely gory and brutally terrifying instalment that never has a dull moment thanks to great cinematography, a nice pace and realistic prosthetics that make all the over-the-top and gruesome violence feel very real. Featuring great performances from Jane Levy and Lou Taylor Pucci and a horrifyingly chilling soundtrack, Evil Dead 2013 is a must see for any horror fan. Stay behind the end credits for an incredibly groovy surprise. Expand
  37. Apr 6, 2013
    This movie was amazing. I'm a huge fan of the original Evil Dead series and I was really worried this remake would suck big time... but it doesn't. Stop looking up reviews for this movie and go see it right now.
  38. Jun 10, 2013
    A fantastic remake. I never expect much from anything on a second go around, but I honestly believe they really outdid themselves with this one. One of the few I may actually enjoy more than the original.
  39. Apr 5, 2013
    The most fun I've had at a horror film in years.
  40. Apr 5, 2013
    It's an extraordinary remake of an extraordinary horror movie, it updates the original in almost every aspect and it delivers what is promises, and it uses gore extremely well like no one ever has, the gore here is used in such a way that it doesn't feel overused or repetitive, it has a meaning to it, the characters are updated as well and each one has a sense of personality of his own, iIt's an extraordinary remake of an extraordinary horror movie, it updates the original in almost every aspect and it delivers what is promises, and it uses gore extremely well like no one ever has, the gore here is used in such a way that it doesn't feel overused or repetitive, it has a meaning to it, the characters are updated as well and each one has a sense of personality of his own, i really enjoyed this flick and recommend it to any horror fan out there. Expand
  41. Jul 2, 2013
    I just can't believe the movie was awesome. It was totally mind-blowing. I loved the 1981 version, but this just got modified. Well, at first, i thought it was going to be another remake with dumb characters who doesn't take anything seriously. Thank god it doesn't. If you don't like heavy gore and have a faint of heart, then you better check out other movies. This is totally a keeper.
  42. Apr 5, 2013
    I have seen the original and loved it. I watched this remake and loved it just as much. I got exactly what I expected from the film: absolute grotesquery and violent carnage. I understand why those who loved the original would not like this one (obviously the original is a classic without compare), but I believe that the remake has done exceptionally well, compared to other horror remakes.I have seen the original and loved it. I watched this remake and loved it just as much. I got exactly what I expected from the film: absolute grotesquery and violent carnage. I understand why those who loved the original would not like this one (obviously the original is a classic without compare), but I believe that the remake has done exceptionally well, compared to other horror remakes. I recommend Evil Dead to those who wish to enjoy a hour and a half of absolute brutality and blood lust! --9/10 Expand
  43. Apr 5, 2013
    I haven't seen the original, but if it's anything like this (or better like I hear) it is number one on my to do list. This was engaging, darkly comedic and entertaining. Sure it had stupid characters and cliche scares, but what else do you expect at this point? It's a love letter to horror films and fans of the old films will not be disappointed.
  44. Apr 11, 2013
    If you've been half as disappointed in the horror movie genre during this whole paranormal activity craze as I have, its a great idea to go see this movie. From it's clever beginning to its brilliant end, you'll feel perfectly uncomfortable and delighted in all it's gory goodness. Best horror movie in years.
  45. Apr 8, 2013
    A fantastic new vision on an already great franchise make this a must see for an die hard horror fan. A great ride from start to finish that features tons of thrills and tons and tons of blood.
  46. Apr 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie captures the gorefest in a masterful way, the plot is simple and the characters could've been smarter.
    Still the movie, in my opinion, falls short thanks to the integration of the "Junky ass" character, a character that you learn to hate and wish it the worst, and still, after making everybody around her die, she survives at the end.
  47. Apr 7, 2013
    Groovy. For Evil Dead fans, it's the perfect remake of the original. There are definitely scares that deliver, but if you're looking for a gore-fest though, welcome home. Also high recommendation to stay till the very end of the credits. To sum up this movie; Groovy.
  48. Apr 7, 2013
    Ok, this was a freaking scary movie. It reminded me of the old classics like Halloween (the original, of course) that put the fear of evil in you. From the beginning to the end, it was awesome. I kept wanted to turn away but just couldn't. Had to see all the gore. The make up and effects are so well placed. Reminded me of Cabin in the Woods. It is a def rent-to-own for Halloween movie!
  49. Apr 5, 2013
    A masterpiece of terror, not so perfect, but good movie.
  50. Apr 9, 2013
    An excellent re-imagining of an iconic movie. Ignore the romantic comedy fans posting negative reviews, this movie is destined to be a classic of horror...GO SEE IT NOW!
  51. Apr 5, 2013
    What did you expect when you first came in to see this movie? I came in thinking it was another remake of a horror movie that would be generic, with only a lot of gore to make it look better. I can honestly say I was wrong! This was a really good horror movie. The best horror movie I've seen in a long while. The story and some of the actions by the actors in the movie were kind ofWhat did you expect when you first came in to see this movie? I came in thinking it was another remake of a horror movie that would be generic, with only a lot of gore to make it look better. I can honestly say I was wrong! This was a really good horror movie. The best horror movie I've seen in a long while. The story and some of the actions by the actors in the movie were kind of formulated horror movie norm. It was extremely gory way gorier than modern day "Slasher" films. And that added a dimension to the film that was entertaining. I applaud everybody involved in this film for the hard work to make this a somewhat believable and fun horror movie. Although it lacked in some places, and the scare tactic lacked greatly, it was incredibly fun to watch unfold minus the downsides. Expand
  52. Apr 5, 2013
    This movie is phenomenal. Everyones all blah blah blah the original is better but i dont agree. This movie looks realistic whereas the first one was fake as hell. I watched the original recently and thought it was great til the claymation wrecks it. I love Bruce but I really dont think he came into his own until part 2 which was bittersweet because it was nowhere as scary as the first butThis movie is phenomenal. Everyones all blah blah blah the original is better but i dont agree. This movie looks realistic whereas the first one was fake as hell. I watched the original recently and thought it was great til the claymation wrecks it. I love Bruce but I really dont think he came into his own until part 2 which was bittersweet because it was nowhere as scary as the first but if you watch it for Mr Campbells comedic performance its a blast (WHO'S LAUGHING NOOWW!) In conclusion I will just say Evil Dead 2013 is a gem for lovers of the horror genre so go see it! Expand
  53. Apr 7, 2013
    A superior horror movie in all respects. Good acting, great gore, good pacing, and the trailers did not ruin the movie. Still showed a little too much in the trailers and the movie had a few unresolved plot points. But that is all the more reason for a sequel. The major critics panned this for the same reason why they pan all horror movies, personal preference. Don't expect Evil Dead 2 orA superior horror movie in all respects. Good acting, great gore, good pacing, and the trailers did not ruin the movie. Still showed a little too much in the trailers and the movie had a few unresolved plot points. But that is all the more reason for a sequel. The major critics panned this for the same reason why they pan all horror movies, personal preference. Don't expect Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness (both great films). The Evil Dead remake stands on its own and it rules. Cannot wait to see the unrated(possible) on Blu Ray. Expand
  54. Apr 18, 2013
    This remake of the original Sam Raimi film does what one expects of a horror film. It is suspenseful, full of atmosphere and foreboding, and bloody, very bloody. It is also totally entertaining without the slow patches that more po faced critically acclaimed films often suffer from. Good horror films these days are also full of great production values and this one is no exception. It hasThis remake of the original Sam Raimi film does what one expects of a horror film. It is suspenseful, full of atmosphere and foreboding, and bloody, very bloody. It is also totally entertaining without the slow patches that more po faced critically acclaimed films often suffer from. Good horror films these days are also full of great production values and this one is no exception. It has brilliant visuals, not only in the effects and make up but in the superb lighting of it's cinematography. The insistent music score is also amazing and the sound design adds immeasurably to the scare quotient. Sure, there are a couple of unintentional laughs involving severed arms, but in reality this just adds to the fun and relieves some tension. Overall this can stand up and be counted as a great example of its genre. Sam Raimi, one hopes, would approve. Expand
  55. Jul 24, 2013
    Wow! This is one hell of a movie and a fantastic remake of what was already a pretty awesome film, but updated for today's generation. It should please most fans of the original as well as newbies that are not aware of it, but it's certainly up there as the film with the most blood I have ever seen, as well as having the most cringe-worthy moments :P Nothing but solid entertainmentWow! This is one hell of a movie and a fantastic remake of what was already a pretty awesome film, but updated for today's generation. It should please most fans of the original as well as newbies that are not aware of it, but it's certainly up there as the film with the most blood I have ever seen, as well as having the most cringe-worthy moments :P Nothing but solid entertainment throughout and I would highly recommend it to any Horror fans, and its now one of my all-time favourite films! Expand
  56. Apr 5, 2013
    The best horror remake ever has officially arrived. This movie demands multiple watches and is disgusting in the best possible way. Every thing is nailed perfectly. The violence is intense but kinda cheesy at the same time, the acting is solid (especially by Levy, who I recognize from "Shameless"), the pacing is absolutely perfect, and its really just an all around crowd pleaser. It evenThe best horror remake ever has officially arrived. This movie demands multiple watches and is disgusting in the best possible way. Every thing is nailed perfectly. The violence is intense but kinda cheesy at the same time, the acting is solid (especially by Levy, who I recognize from "Shameless"), the pacing is absolutely perfect, and its really just an all around crowd pleaser. It even got a standing ovation at the midnight screening I attended the night before it was released. Expand
  57. Apr 7, 2013
    Everything that you expect from a real entertaining horror movie, you will find in Evil Dead. Evil Dead has everything in horror movies, it is a slasher movie, demons, gruesome, possessing, it is a pact of different genre of horror movies, the thing is, it never tops the original, and I wish it was scarier than it is, and it is not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, it isEverything that you expect from a real entertaining horror movie, you will find in Evil Dead. Evil Dead has everything in horror movies, it is a slasher movie, demons, gruesome, possessing, it is a pact of different genre of horror movies, the thing is, it never tops the original, and I wish it was scarier than it is, and it is not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, it is just a great horror movie. Expand
  58. Apr 8, 2013
    I really enjoyed the new serious take on Evil Dead. It definitely doesn't have the charm of the original but I think it is just as good. Stay after the credits!
  59. Apr 8, 2013
    All I can say is that Evil Dead was fantastic! There is tons of blood. I mean take your idea of a lot and multiply it by about 10,000 and that's pretty much the amount of blood and gore used in the Evil Dead. The thing that is really great about Evil Dead is that there is tons of suspense with a few jump scares. There is very little humor in this movie. So, if your one of those narrowAll I can say is that Evil Dead was fantastic! There is tons of blood. I mean take your idea of a lot and multiply it by about 10,000 and that's pretty much the amount of blood and gore used in the Evil Dead. The thing that is really great about Evil Dead is that there is tons of suspense with a few jump scares. There is very little humor in this movie. So, if your one of those narrow minded people who believes that the original was fun and had "great acting" Expand
  60. Apr 24, 2013
    Evil Dead is the remake/reboot of the Critically acclaimed 1981 classic The Evil Dead. It is written and directed by Fade Alvarez, who is relatively new to the directing scene. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell from the original The Evil Dead also return as producers.
    The film follows a group of 5 friends who head to a remote cabin to try and one of the friends Mia,shake her drug addiction. Whilst this is happening another one of the friends finds the “Naturom Demonto” The Book of the Dead, which unleashes demons that live in the nearby wood. The demon possess Mia and then starts pocessing the friends one by one and they’re all left fighting for survival. Overall it’s a really good story and really engaging.
    The acting is also good, Jane Levy does a great job as the lead female role and really holds her own playing Mia. Shiloh Fernandez also does a great job as lead male role, he plays David, Mia’s older brother, he also does a great job. They also both do a great job in the way of portraying brother and sister, I really felt like these to people could be brother and sister.
    The effects for the film are extremely good, Alvarez also said before they started shooting the film that he would not be using CGI effects apart from touch ups, which ment the film would rely on practical effects. This still holds true, it’s still basically all practical effects apart form a few scenes which require CGI because they wouldn’t be able to do them without. All the practical effects look great and look scarily realistic, which is what you need in a good horror movie.
    Overall Evil Dead is an extremely good movie, a good horror movie and a damn fine remake that’s able to stand on it’s own two feet, it’s definitely one of the better remakes in recent years and to be able to almost best the original film it’s based on (In my Opinion) is no easy feet.
  61. Apr 26, 2013
    I had really low expectations when going to see this, but was really surprised. It brings some of the original ideas and puts a more serious tone which surprisingly works alongside the fact there is no CGI. Also stay after the credits for a nice surprise.
  62. Apr 18, 2013
    I enjoyed this movie, having never seen the origin it didn't hold much significance to me, so my expectations were relatively low. It is one of those horror movies, not so much psychological, but the demented, cringe worthy gore fest ones. If you see this with some friends you'll have a good laugh guaranteed, and if you see it with your girl, there will be plenty of squealing and hiding.I enjoyed this movie, having never seen the origin it didn't hold much significance to me, so my expectations were relatively low. It is one of those horror movies, not so much psychological, but the demented, cringe worthy gore fest ones. If you see this with some friends you'll have a good laugh guaranteed, and if you see it with your girl, there will be plenty of squealing and hiding. Not great, but not terrible, acting was decent, and the setting was great. Much better than cabin in the woods. Expand
  63. May 1, 2013
    Truly shakes up horror films. Not particularly scary, but it'll keep you guessing till the end and is quite entertaining. There are even parts than make you wince, which is exactly what I expect to see in a horror film. There's a sprinkling of homages to the original Evil Dead films, for the fans of the original and I have to say they're not in your face but noticeable. Definitely worthTruly shakes up horror films. Not particularly scary, but it'll keep you guessing till the end and is quite entertaining. There are even parts than make you wince, which is exactly what I expect to see in a horror film. There's a sprinkling of homages to the original Evil Dead films, for the fans of the original and I have to say they're not in your face but noticeable. Definitely worth the ridiculous price for a cinema ticket! Expand
  64. Apr 9, 2013
    It was unbelievably so much better than the original. The character development was good, it was way more entertaining, it was way more realistic, and the ending was way better. Despite it being disgustingly gruesome and at times I covered my eyes in the movie theater, I felt that it really brought a new kind of style to the horror genre. I can't wait until Army Of Darkness 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  65. May 13, 2013
    What a film! For someone who only watches horror films occassionally this film was really, really good. Sure the acting isn't perfect and some of the actions these characters take is obviously wrong, but within the context of this film is fitting.

As everyone has said the minimal use of CGI and gore at the right moments is what make this film very effective at scaring you. In addition to the poignant use of gore, the length of the film and a non too predictable storyline had been hooked from start to finish.

You know you've seen a great horror film when you leave and see girls crying or fainting outside the cinema. This is not a film for those you can't cope with realistic gore and horror.

If you want to see this please do and hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did.
  66. Apr 5, 2013
    I don't get the critics who are saying the humor is lost. The humor is certainly still present in this rendition. Beautiful graphic scenes, great camera work, and creepy. I thought the score was a bit cheesy, and I didn't care much for the new drug addict storyline, but who sees an Evil Dead movie for a great back story? It delivered the scares and violence I wanted to see. For a film thatI don't get the critics who are saying the humor is lost. The humor is certainly still present in this rendition. Beautiful graphic scenes, great camera work, and creepy. I thought the score was a bit cheesy, and I didn't care much for the new drug addict storyline, but who sees an Evil Dead movie for a great back story? It delivered the scares and violence I wanted to see. For a film that could have easily failed this was a very pleasant surprise. Expand
  67. May 5, 2013
    Movie is scary and i didn't sleep after trailer. really good job and i really love this movie i will watch it over and over.And It have a hectoliters of blood.
  68. Jul 17, 2013
    You gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up this reboot-remake-whatever with fine cinematography and expert compositions, as oppossed to your usual Platinum Dunes job. It takes a while to establishYou gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up this reboot-remake-whatever with fine cinematography and expert compositions, as oppossed to your usual Platinum Dunes job. It takes a while to establish the characters, which works well setting the stage before all hell breaks loose. Once it does, it barely slows down to catch its breath. I like the nods to the original (the Olds, Michigan State shirt, the 'ol running thru the woods with the camera,etc), while being it's own thing. With all the PG13 exorcism and posession movies that call themselves horror films nowadays, it's good to see a hard R, bloody good time. Very curious to see what the director follows this up with. Expand
  69. Apr 8, 2013
    Aside from a few jump scares it's really not a very scary movie, but the original wasn't very scary either. The gore is everything you could want, graphic, unflinching at times even comical. It's a dedicated remake that loses some steam towards the end but still very enjoyable. Not for the squeamish.
  70. May 1, 2013
    Evil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead's case, it works. Sam Raimi and Fede Alvarez wanted the remake to be what the original film was: gruesome, and very entertaining to watch. The remakeEvil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead's case, it works. Sam Raimi and Fede Alvarez wanted the remake to be what the original film was: gruesome, and very entertaining to watch. The remake is gruesome, and it is entertaining. If you want a movie that's a ton of fun and has great special effects, look no further than Evil Dead. Expand
  71. Apr 5, 2013
    Great movie, its one of the few "scary movies" out there now that is actually scary. it also full of nods to the old series and is incredibly enjoyable even if you don't know anything about the series. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who enjoys horror, gore, or is a fan of the old movies.
  72. Apr 5, 2013
    this movie simply will not let you down. if you like horror movies you will be in heaven. if i could say anything bad about it, its that they showed a little too much in the "red band" trailers.
  73. Apr 5, 2013
    In short; Great, great film. The full version...
    This is a great film but should not have been labelled as a "remake". Bruce Campbell tried to stress this as "a new vision" which is the best way to view this.
    In short; Great, great film. The full version...
    The people who are dogging this too much are trying say "it was boring" or "didn't live up to the original". But in my opinion, you have to think that it's The Evil Dead with the budget Sam Raimi hoped for.
    This is the closest thing I can imagine that Sam and Bruce would have called the original script.
    Well done. Excellent movie. If you're a fan of horror movies at all, you must go see this.
  74. Apr 5, 2013
    Horror movies now-a-days need to take notes from this movie. Not only does it take source material from an original horror masterpiece. But it throws in something that makes it its own. Without much CGI this movie accomplishes so much and it's mind blowing just to watch. Being that it is Evil Dead it does get relentless. But because it is Evil Dead that is obvious. Sometimes when you areHorror movies now-a-days need to take notes from this movie. Not only does it take source material from an original horror masterpiece. But it throws in something that makes it its own. Without much CGI this movie accomplishes so much and it's mind blowing just to watch. Being that it is Evil Dead it does get relentless. But because it is Evil Dead that is obvious. Sometimes when you are watching this movie you realize that there is magic on the screen. Now I seem to be very vague yes, but. It is hard to describe just how well this movie is made. It doesn't try to cheep out and jump scare the audience every 2 seconds. And it doesn't try to be so deep and serious either. I even found myself laughing at the movie when the things on screen were horrible. (Not in a bad way but in a face being ripped off and bloody way) Now there is some things that are a bit wrong with this movie that make it not as memorable as the classic. Mostly that it seems too clean. Odd, yes, how a movie this gross can be clean but if you think about how dark and scummy the original one looks, and then how slick and smooth this one was, you can see what I mean. But that is really the only thing bad that I can say about it. And for those of you who think this is bad because of the horrible stuff in it, then you are obviously not the people this movie was made for. So my final verdict. 8/10 Expand
  75. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you love gore and a semi-suspenseful movie, then you will love this film. No real cliff hangers in the film but by the end I felt like I needed a shower to get the blood off. Expand
  76. Apr 5, 2013
    Sure, it's gory. That's really about it. It;s a bit derivative a lot derivative), which most people will forgive saying it's a remake. There's hardly anything new, though some of the deaths are terribly brutal and violent. It's fun if you're into gore, but if you are looking for story look elsewhere.
  77. Apr 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Evil dead is is smart gory horrifying masterpiece that will not disappoint anybody who loves that genre from the beginning of the movie there is burning bodies and cursing in a demonic voice. The acting was good but the person who stood out is Mia played by Jane levy. This movie will have you cringing and jumping out of your skin I recommend this to anybody who likes a good scare. Expand
  78. Apr 6, 2013
    I can gladly say that this is one of the few modern horror remakes that can actually be classified as horror. I will never understand why critics don't like this; they had the original director co-write the script, almost no CGI, and tons of nods to the first films. Some people just like to whine and whine about the original, but I say that this was a d@mn good film.
  79. Apr 6, 2013
    Likely not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, but probably the most fun you will have at a horror film in some time. It felt very Raimi-esque (especially the deadites) without copy and pasting his style, the spirit of the originals are alive and well. I don't understand the mentions of a lack of humor, this film is full of very funny moments but it takes all that happensLikely not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, but probably the most fun you will have at a horror film in some time. It felt very Raimi-esque (especially the deadites) without copy and pasting his style, the spirit of the originals are alive and well. I don't understand the mentions of a lack of humor, this film is full of very funny moments but it takes all that happens seriously.

Overall it was a great ride, and one I'm excited to take again
  80. Apr 6, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember everI absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember ever seeing a horror movie with even a decent final act, whilst Evil Dead's final act is probably the best in the entire movie. If you can sit back and let a movie do it's work, with minor flaws, then you will love this movie. This is truly a milestone in the horror movie genre. Expand
  81. Apr 7, 2013
    The new Evil Dead movie could be a litmus test for true fans of the horror genre. As Entertainment Weekly's review stated so well: the new Evil Dead is "the bloodiest, goriest, slapstickiest horror movie since, well, The Evil Dead."

Horror fans would grin or laugh gleefully at most of the goriest scenes because a) most are truly unique and different than what we've scene before, and b) we've seen EVERYTHING before. Anybody else would shut their eyes, grimace, flee the theater, or just wouldn't go.

And it's not that horror fans are gore junkies. Blood, gore and violence are irrelevant and tedious if it's not weaved into a captivating story with decent acting, great directing, and creative plotting.

And that's exactly what the new Evil Dead delivers. Most die-hard horror aficionados know the original Evil Dead by heart. To re-do the first and deliver a new and different version while staying within the bounds of the original is no easy task. But Fede Alvarez in his directorial debut knocks it out of the park. It strikes that fine balance between reverance to the original (with both overt and subtle references) and newness/uniqueness to keep us captivated and excited (and excitement is key as most of us are definitely looking for a cerebral adrenaline rush).

Just modernizing a classic with a bigger budget takes no creativity and falls into the tedium and redundancy which most horror fan's hate. Gus Van Sant's Psycho re-make, where nearly every scene is "copied exactly," is a perfect example of this. One word: BORING.

The last, great horror re-make was 2004's "Dawn of the Dead" which at the time was the best re-make since David Cronenberg's "The Fly" in 1986. That's why us horror fans are rejoicing to have a new movie to re-watch 10 times until the next good one.
  82. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They announced that this movie was not going to be like the original in the comedy aspect and people are complaining that it isn't. This movie is as old-school as it can get with the fact that they did not use cgi to carry out any of the violent scenes in the movie. Unlike other movies that cut away from the violence we were presented with everything that would normally happen off screen. That being said there are numerous references to the original movies including filming techniques that make it an absolute treat to watch. The gore scenes left me grinning as I thought about how much effort it took their special effects and makeup personnel to make it look just right. While it doesn't have Ash or a low budget it seems to act like it does and borrows multiple techniques and styles from the original, like they said it would. Some reviewers hate it for the fact that the female characters are "punished" more than their male counterparts. However, like in the original the female characters are the ones who punish the male counterparts. Eric is the example, yes he releases the spirit itself but he is also stabbed, jabbed, shot, and beaten multiple times which shows that karma is indeed working in the movie. It switches the roles and explains mostly everything.

By mostly everything I mean it lacks in the reasoning behind how the abomination is actually summoned. However, they did not explain how Evil Ash came to be in Army of Darkness either. It's just the work of some evil entity who wants to torture and kill some mortals to serve a dark purpose.
  83. Apr 8, 2013
    I've watched my fair share of horror movies, and like many members of the so-called "modern audience" I'd say there is a certain level of desensitization to the genre. It has become very difficult for me to feel frightened while watching a horror movie these days. That said I can honestly say that there were moments in this movie that legitimately terrified me. The gore is borderlineI've watched my fair share of horror movies, and like many members of the so-called "modern audience" I'd say there is a certain level of desensitization to the genre. It has become very difficult for me to feel frightened while watching a horror movie these days. That said I can honestly say that there were moments in this movie that legitimately terrified me. The gore is borderline excessive and I do mean borderline; it was the right level thereof. It brought a thrill and intensity that was truly chilling. The fact that they went completely with the practical effects approach really added a sense of realism to an otherwise unrealistic situation. Admittedly there is a certain level of stupidity in the face of the situation that some of the characters possess, but that adds to the entertainment value. As a side note, I thought it was kinda funny that the first letters of all the main characters spell out DEMON. Finally I give a nod to the Easter Egg at the end of the credits. Expand
  84. Jul 6, 2013
    I liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does have a sense of nostalgia but at the same time brings up new things to experience... It does feel a bit too much of a teenage fest, which was slightlyI liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does have a sense of nostalgia but at the same time brings up new things to experience... It does feel a bit too much of a teenage fest, which was slightly disappointing and at times it does feel slightly cheap, but overall it was a thrill ride. Would watch again. Expand
  85. Apr 14, 2013
    Very great movie.Watched it from beginning to end,this horror film was incredible.This movie kept me and the end of my seat.This movie is a suspenseful+horror film.It's great if you are into demonic possessions too!!This is a must see for all ages over 10
  86. Apr 15, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the original Evil Dead trilogy. I have to give the remake props were trying something different. However, the end result is still not completely satisfying or as good as i hoped it would be. While certainly VERY gory, the script is weak, and it frankly lacks any big surprises. The demons are much more akin to Linda Blair than Raimi's deadites. It's worth a watch, butI'm a huge fan of the original Evil Dead trilogy. I have to give the remake props were trying something different. However, the end result is still not completely satisfying or as good as i hoped it would be. While certainly VERY gory, the script is weak, and it frankly lacks any big surprises. The demons are much more akin to Linda Blair than Raimi's deadites. It's worth a watch, but i wish i hadn't paid full price. However, maybe the sequel can really pull out the stops and go a whole new direction. Expand
  87. Apr 15, 2013
    One of contemporary cinema’s most essential awe-inspiring horror stories gets revamped, unfortunately it’s only an average addition to the genre’s most indestructible cult franchise…ninety percent gore, ten percent unrelenting terror Fede Alvarez’s assignment to gross the f@ck out of the audience passes with flying colors (albeit blood red) but disappointingly missed the fun andOne of contemporary cinema’s most essential awe-inspiring horror stories gets revamped, unfortunately it’s only an average addition to the genre’s most indestructible cult franchise…ninety percent gore, ten percent unrelenting terror Fede Alvarez’s assignment to gross the f@ck out of the audience passes with flying colors (albeit blood red) but disappointingly missed the fun and nail-biting magic of the original. Expand
  88. Apr 17, 2013
    Why this movie has gone down to a 57 is beyond my understanding, but this is a scary-ass gorefest that needs to be seen. with its like the original with an alternate ending, and better acting.
  89. Apr 22, 2013
    This was an awesome movie. I personally think this was a little better than the original in the 80s. This an example of what good scary movies are. 10/10.
  90. Apr 21, 2013
    Filme ficou bom, deu para ver que os diretores tentaram fazer um bom remake, um ponto bem positivo foi em questão da maquiagem, e um ponto negativo foi o final, não que ficou um ruim mas poderia ser melhor, e para quem viu o ate os creditos deu brecha para uma sequencia.
  91. Apr 22, 2013
    The remake of the 1981 Classic the Evil dead Features more gore and Disgusting Atmosphere that i loved from the old one just with more of the gore. The move was cut out when it was in devolplment becuase of it rating of X it was cut down to a Rated R meaning the DVD verison will give alot more. I think this move was too quick this why im giving it a 9
  92. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of the supremely gory remake of Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/evil-dead-2013.html
  93. Apr 26, 2013
    Revolutionary you say?
    no its not.
    One hell of a gory good time you say?
    Then F*CK yeah!
    So in short if you love gore and you love to get the sh*t creeped out of you watch this you will have a blast
  94. Apr 28, 2013
    Evil Dead was pretty awesome. It has flaws and they show. Regardless, it is the best horror movie since Sinister.

It was bloody and gory, and I jumped a few times in the theaters. Now, I have a few problems with the movie too. People getting stabbed, arms cut off and all we get is a 10sec reaction from the characters and then it seems as if nothing happened. Whatever the girl

It was bloody and gory, and I jumped a few times in the theaters.

Now, I have a few problems with the movie too. People getting stabbed, arms cut off and all we get is a 10sec reaction from the characters and then it seems as if nothing happened. Whatever the girl having the withdraws name was, she was wiggin' out and we could easily see that she was no longer human, though the film still has the cast kept acting like she was okay throughout the entire movie. Damn, it was annoying, but it is a movie.

All in all, it was still pretty good.
  95. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are a fan of intense, violent gore films, with a side order of comedy, this is for you. As a fan of the original series, I was both excited and skeptical, but was immensely pleased when I left the theater. Both times. This film hits on so many levels, I had to make a check list. Tree rape-Check, Removal of ones own arm-Double Check, Jaw splitting via chainsaw-Check, Blood rain storm-Check. Seriously, what is there not to love? Expand
  96. Jun 24, 2013
    This was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. I definitely enjoyed it flaws and all. My only problems with the movie was the character development and the deadites themselves. In the original EvilThis was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. I definitely enjoyed it flaws and all. My only problems with the movie was the character development and the deadites themselves. In the original Evil Dead the deadites were and still are terrifying. In the 2013 version they seem less like demonic being and more like the infected from 28 days later. The character development seems to just jump back and forth and it's not till the end that you realize that Mia was in fact the "final girl", despite being the main deadite for most of the film. The trailer led you to believe that David was the main protagonist and would be the "ash role", David is even shown in the trailer using the chainsaw which was eventually cut from the film. And lastly, I know a lot of people have a problem with this remake/reboot/sequel, some even reference the lack of comedy. But if you actually watched the original, there was no real comedy in it. The original was a normal horror movie, it wasn't until the sequels that it started to shift to a more black comedy than pure horror. Regardless of being a fan of the series or not, if you like horror and are not suffering from cranial rectitis then you'll enjoy the movie. Expand
  97. May 18, 2013
    Horror Genre perfection. Someone really needs to educate critics on the difference between the Horror Genre and the Thriller Genre. A horror movie not scaring you isn't a valid criticism.

Much like Evil Dead 2 this takes the original idea and reworks it in an original way. A completely solid and well written horror movie that gets under your skin like horror should. Real horror fans will not be disappointed.
  98. Jul 2, 2013
    ATTENZIONE SPOILER
    Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.
    Innanzitutto ho gradito quei piccoli particolari che permettono allo spettatore di capire cosa accade in tutto il film, infatti, non rimangono domande sospese o domande che il visionatore normalmente si farebbe come: "ma perchè non bruciano il libro"? Gli effetti speciali sono molto ben curati, nonostante sia un
    ATTENZIONE SPOILER
    Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.

Gli effetti speciali sono molto ben curati, nonostante sia un remake non annoia ma anzi, ti tiene costantemente attento.

Indubbiamente per me uno dei migliori horror che abbia visto ultimamente. Davvero ben fatto, assolutamente consigliato :D
  99. May 28, 2013
    This movie absolutely went right down my alley! The movie delivered stunning gore effects (best in years), interesting story although not perfect, and great performance from Jane Levy. I recommend this movie to any horror fan or just simply Someone who enjoys movies.
  100. Jun 24, 2013
    The Evil Dead is actually one of the scariest movies ever, and it is one of the best classics, the remake Evil Dead is as good as the first, with better budget and better improves, but is Evil Dead (2013) scary as the The Evil Dead (1981) No. Evil Dead is extremely scary funny ride, with good acting and great story which is really improved!

1. Reviewed by: Nigel Floyd
    Apr 29, 2013
    Despite much old-school splatter, it’s seldom frightening and oddly unfunny.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    It is nowhere near as creepy as the recent indie horror "V/H/S," but it is a full-bloodedly grisly and macabre film that zaps over a few scares.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Apr 15, 2013
    Closer to Eli Roth than Sam Raimi, this brutal retread combines J-horror atmospherics with torture-porn kills. It’s more evisceration than invention but at least has the courage of its bloody-minded convictions.