7.4

1. Aug 15, 2013
    I'm disappointed to say the least. There were some throwbacks and similarities to Evil Dead, but the nonsensical, tacked on, ending after the credits was the best part. This movie had no business being named Evil Dead other than to cash in on the franchise.

It's a pretty bad movie, which has nothing going for it except its name. The acting is bad, the plot is a contrived mess, and the characters aren't believable or likable. Being a huge horror fan, I would say some of the death scenes and gore were cool, but that's where the compliments end. It got painful as it went, but the movie managed to keep me watching until the end, at times I felt like "endure" might be the better verb. The best way to watch it is to go in with no expectations. If you were a big fan of the original, you'll probably despise this.
  2. May 5, 2013
    Movie is scary and i didn't sleep after trailer. really good job and i really love this movie i will watch it over and over.And It have a hectoliters of blood.
  3. Jul 17, 2013
    You gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up this reboot-remake-whatever with fine cinematography and expert compositions, as oppossed to your usual Platinum Dunes job. It takes a while to establishYou gotta give the filmmakers credit for releasing this so soon after Cabin In The Woods, which deconstructed all the horror tropes that the original Evil Dead and this "reimagining" contain. Given that, the director decided to gloss up this reboot-remake-whatever with fine cinematography and expert compositions, as oppossed to your usual Platinum Dunes job. It takes a while to establish the characters, which works well setting the stage before all hell breaks loose. Once it does, it barely slows down to catch its breath. I like the nods to the original (the Olds, Michigan State shirt, the 'ol running thru the woods with the camera,etc), while being it's own thing. With all the PG13 exorcism and posession movies that call themselves horror films nowadays, it's good to see a hard R, bloody good time. Very curious to see what the director follows this up with. Expand
  4. Apr 6, 2013
    I was really excited for this movie as the original scared the hell out of me as a teen. However, it just didn't deliver in the "scare factor". Like most new horror movies,it relied too much on gore and not enough on suspense.
    It is very well made,and has a few creepy moments,but most reaction will be from cringing at the various injury scenes.
    Overall i was let down,it was just "ok" in my book.
  5. Apr 8, 2013
    Aside from a few jump scares it's really not a very scary movie, but the original wasn't very scary either. The gore is everything you could want, graphic, unflinching at times even comical. It's a dedicated remake that loses some steam towards the end but still very enjoyable. Not for the squeamish.
  6. May 1, 2013
    Evil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead's case, it works. Sam Raimi and Fede Alvarez wanted the remake to be what the original film was: gruesome, and very entertaining to watch. The remakeEvil Dead is one of the best remakes I've ever seen. It has a genuine sense of tension, the use of practical effects are brilliant, and the actors' performances get the job done fine. The movie has a heavy reliance on gore, but in Evil Dead's case, it works. Sam Raimi and Fede Alvarez wanted the remake to be what the original film was: gruesome, and very entertaining to watch. The remake is gruesome, and it is entertaining. If you want a movie that's a ton of fun and has great special effects, look no further than Evil Dead. Expand
  7. Apr 5, 2013
    Great movie, its one of the few "scary movies" out there now that is actually scary. it also full of nods to the old series and is incredibly enjoyable even if you don't know anything about the series. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who enjoys horror, gore, or is a fan of the old movies.
  8. Apr 5, 2013
    this movie simply will not let you down. if you like horror movies you will be in heaven. if i could say anything bad about it, its that they showed a little too much in the "red band" trailers.
  9. Apr 5, 2013
    In short; Great, great film. The full version...
    This is a great film but should not have been labelled as a "remake". Bruce Campbell tried to stress this as "a new vision" which is the best way to view this.
    In short; Great, great film. The full version...
    The people who are dogging this too much are trying say "it was boring" or "didn't live up to the original". But in my opinion, you have to think that it's The Evil Dead with the budget Sam Raimi hoped for.
    This is the closest thing I can imagine that Sam and Bruce would have called the original script.
    Well done. Excellent movie. If you're a fan of horror movies at all, you must go see this.
  10. Apr 5, 2013
    Horror movies now-a-days need to take notes from this movie. Not only does it take source material from an original horror masterpiece. But it throws in something that makes it its own. Without much CGI this movie accomplishes so much and it's mind blowing just to watch. Being that it is Evil Dead it does get relentless. But because it is Evil Dead that is obvious. Sometimes when you areHorror movies now-a-days need to take notes from this movie. Not only does it take source material from an original horror masterpiece. But it throws in something that makes it its own. Without much CGI this movie accomplishes so much and it's mind blowing just to watch. Being that it is Evil Dead it does get relentless. But because it is Evil Dead that is obvious. Sometimes when you are watching this movie you realize that there is magic on the screen. Now I seem to be very vague yes, but. It is hard to describe just how well this movie is made. It doesn't try to cheep out and jump scare the audience every 2 seconds. And it doesn't try to be so deep and serious either. I even found myself laughing at the movie when the things on screen were horrible. (Not in a bad way but in a face being ripped off and bloody way) Now there is some things that are a bit wrong with this movie that make it not as memorable as the classic. Mostly that it seems too clean. Odd, yes, how a movie this gross can be clean but if you think about how dark and scummy the original one looks, and then how slick and smooth this one was, you can see what I mean. But that is really the only thing bad that I can say about it. And for those of you who think this is bad because of the horrible stuff in it, then you are obviously not the people this movie was made for. So my final verdict. 8/10 Expand
  11. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you love gore and a semi-suspenseful movie, then you will love this film. No real cliff hangers in the film but by the end I felt like I needed a shower to get the blood off. Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2013
    Sure, it's gory. That's really about it. It;s a bit derivative a lot derivative), which most people will forgive saying it's a remake. There's hardly anything new, though some of the deaths are terribly brutal and violent. It's fun if you're into gore, but if you are looking for story look elsewhere.
  13. Apr 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Evil dead is is smart gory horrifying masterpiece that will not disappoint anybody who loves that genre from the beginning of the movie there is burning bodies and cursing in a demonic voice. The acting was good but the person who stood out is Mia played by Jane levy. This movie will have you cringing and jumping out of your skin I recommend this to anybody who likes a good scare. Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    I can gladly say that this is one of the few modern horror remakes that can actually be classified as horror. I will never understand why critics don't like this; they had the original director co-write the script, almost no CGI, and tons of nods to the first films. Some people just like to whine and whine about the original, but I say that this was a d@mn good film.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    Likely not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, but probably the most fun you will have at a horror film in some time. It felt very Raimi-esque (especially the deadites) without copy and pasting his style, the spirit of the originals are alive and well. I don't understand the mentions of a lack of humor, this film is full of very funny moments but it takes all that happensLikely not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, but probably the most fun you will have at a horror film in some time. It felt very Raimi-esque (especially the deadites) without copy and pasting his style, the spirit of the originals are alive and well. I don't understand the mentions of a lack of humor, this film is full of very funny moments but it takes all that happens seriously.

Overall it was a great ride, and one I'm excited to take again
  16. Apr 6, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember everI absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember ever seeing a horror movie with even a decent final act, whilst Evil Dead's final act is probably the best in the entire movie. If you can sit back and let a movie do it's work, with minor flaws, then you will love this movie. This is truly a milestone in the horror movie genre. Expand
  17. Apr 7, 2013
    The new Evil Dead movie could be a litmus test for true fans of the horror genre. As Entertainment Weekly's review stated so well: the new Evil Dead is "the bloodiest, goriest, slapstickiest horror movie since, well, The Evil Dead."

Horror fans would grin or laugh gleefully at most of the goriest scenes because a) most are truly unique and different than what we've scene before, and b) we've seen EVERYTHING before. Anybody else would shut their eyes, grimace, flee the theater, or just wouldn't go.

And it's not that horror fans are gore junkies. Blood, gore and violence are irrelevant and tedious if it's not weaved into a captivating story with decent acting, great directing, and creative plotting.

And that's exactly what the new Evil Dead delivers. Most die-hard horror aficionados know the original Evil Dead by heart. To re-do the first and deliver a new and different version while staying within the bounds of the original is no easy task. But Fede Alvarez in his directorial debut knocks it out of the park. It strikes that fine balance between reverance to the original (with both overt and subtle references) and newness/uniqueness to keep us captivated and excited (and excitement is key as most of us are definitely looking for a cerebral adrenaline rush).

Just modernizing a classic with a bigger budget takes no creativity and falls into the tedium and redundancy which most horror fan's hate. Gus Van Sant's Psycho re-make, where nearly every scene is "copied exactly," is a perfect example of this. One word: BORING.

The last, great horror re-make was 2004's "Dawn of the Dead" which at the time was the best re-make since David Cronenberg's "The Fly" in 1986. That's why us horror fans are rejoicing to have a new movie to re-watch 10 times until the next good one.
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They announced that this movie was not going to be like the original in the comedy aspect and people are complaining that it isn't. This movie is as old-school as it can get with the fact that they did not use cgi to carry out any of the violent scenes in the movie. Unlike other movies that cut away from the violence we were presented with everything that would normally happen off screen. That being said there are numerous references to the original movies including filming techniques that make it an absolute treat to watch. The gore scenes left me grinning as I thought about how much effort it took their special effects and makeup personnel to make it look just right. While it doesn't have Ash or a low budget it seems to act like it does and borrows multiple techniques and styles from the original, like they said it would. Some reviewers hate it for the fact that the female characters are "punished" more than their male counterparts. However, like in the original the female characters are the ones who punish the male counterparts. Eric is the example, yes he releases the spirit itself but he is also stabbed, jabbed, shot, and beaten multiple times which shows that karma is indeed working in the movie. It switches the roles and explains mostly everything.

By mostly everything I mean it lacks in the reasoning behind how the abomination is actually summoned. However, they did not explain how Evil Ash came to be in Army of Darkness either. It's just the work of some evil entity who wants to torture and kill some mortals to serve a dark purpose.
  19. Apr 8, 2013
    I've watched my fair share of horror movies, and like many members of the so-called "modern audience" I'd say there is a certain level of desensitization to the genre. It has become very difficult for me to feel frightened while watching a horror movie these days. That said I can honestly say that there were moments in this movie that legitimately terrified me. The gore is borderlineI've watched my fair share of horror movies, and like many members of the so-called "modern audience" I'd say there is a certain level of desensitization to the genre. It has become very difficult for me to feel frightened while watching a horror movie these days. That said I can honestly say that there were moments in this movie that legitimately terrified me. The gore is borderline excessive and I do mean borderline; it was the right level thereof. It brought a thrill and intensity that was truly chilling. The fact that they went completely with the practical effects approach really added a sense of realism to an otherwise unrealistic situation. Admittedly there is a certain level of stupidity in the face of the situation that some of the characters possess, but that adds to the entertainment value. As a side note, I thought it was kinda funny that the first letters of all the main characters spell out DEMON. Finally I give a nod to the Easter Egg at the end of the credits. Expand
  20. Jul 6, 2013
    I liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does have a sense of nostalgia but at the same time brings up new things to experience... It does feel a bit too much of a teenage fest, which was slightlyI liked this film, it ticked every note I would look for in a horror/gore movie. Don't go in to it expecting the experience you had when you watched the original in 1981, go in to it with a open mind and welcome it as a new film. It does have a sense of nostalgia but at the same time brings up new things to experience... It does feel a bit too much of a teenage fest, which was slightly disappointing and at times it does feel slightly cheap, but overall it was a thrill ride. Would watch again. Expand
  21. Apr 14, 2013
    Very great movie.Watched it from beginning to end,this horror film was incredible.This movie kept me and the end of my seat.This movie is a suspenseful+horror film.It's great if you are into demonic possessions too!!This is a must see for all ages over 10
  22. Apr 15, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the original Evil Dead trilogy. I have to give the remake props were trying something different. However, the end result is still not completely satisfying or as good as i hoped it would be. While certainly VERY gory, the script is weak, and it frankly lacks any big surprises. The demons are much more akin to Linda Blair than Raimi's deadites. It's worth a watch, butI'm a huge fan of the original Evil Dead trilogy. I have to give the remake props were trying something different. However, the end result is still not completely satisfying or as good as i hoped it would be. While certainly VERY gory, the script is weak, and it frankly lacks any big surprises. The demons are much more akin to Linda Blair than Raimi's deadites. It's worth a watch, but i wish i hadn't paid full price. However, maybe the sequel can really pull out the stops and go a whole new direction. Expand
  23. Apr 15, 2013
    One of contemporary cinema’s most essential awe-inspiring horror stories gets revamped, unfortunately it’s only an average addition to the genre’s most indestructible cult franchise…ninety percent gore, ten percent unrelenting terror Fede Alvarez’s assignment to gross the f@ck out of the audience passes with flying colors (albeit blood red) but disappointingly missed the fun andOne of contemporary cinema’s most essential awe-inspiring horror stories gets revamped, unfortunately it’s only an average addition to the genre’s most indestructible cult franchise…ninety percent gore, ten percent unrelenting terror Fede Alvarez’s assignment to gross the f@ck out of the audience passes with flying colors (albeit blood red) but disappointingly missed the fun and nail-biting magic of the original. Expand
  24. Apr 17, 2013
    Why this movie has gone down to a 57 is beyond my understanding, but this is a scary-ass gorefest that needs to be seen. with its like the original with an alternate ending, and better acting.
  25. Apr 22, 2013
    This was an awesome movie. I personally think this was a little better than the original in the 80s. This an example of what good scary movies are. 10/10.
  26. Apr 21, 2013
    Filme ficou bom, deu para ver que os diretores tentaram fazer um bom remake, um ponto bem positivo foi em questão da maquiagem, e um ponto negativo foi o final, não que ficou um ruim mas poderia ser melhor, e para quem viu o ate os creditos deu brecha para uma sequencia.
  27. Apr 22, 2013
    The remake of the 1981 Classic the Evil dead Features more gore and Disgusting Atmosphere that i loved from the old one just with more of the gore. The move was cut out when it was in devolplment becuase of it rating of X it was cut down to a Rated R meaning the DVD verison will give alot more. I think this move was too quick this why im giving it a 9
  28. Apr 23, 2013
    You can read my review of the supremely gory remake of Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead" here http://geektasticfilmreviews.blogspot.com/2013/04/evil-dead-2013.html
  29. Apr 26, 2013
    i find this movie amazing. i think my friends and i enjoyed it much more after watching the entire trilogy before hand, so i recommend you do that before hand. i also recommend staying till after the credits ;3.
  30. Apr 26, 2013
    Revolutionary you say?
    no its not.
    One hell of a gory good time you say?
    Then F*CK yeah!
    So in short if you love gore and you love to get the sh*t creeped out of you watch this you will have a blast
  31. Apr 28, 2013
    Evil Dead was pretty awesome. It has flaws and they show. Regardless, it is the best horror movie since Sinister.

It was bloody and gory, and I jumped a few times in the theaters. Now, I have a few problems with the movie too. People getting stabbed, arms cut off and all we get is a 10sec reaction from the characters and then it seems as if nothing happened. Whatever the girl

It was bloody and gory, and I jumped a few times in the theaters.

Now, I have a few problems with the movie too. People getting stabbed, arms cut off and all we get is a 10sec reaction from the characters and then it seems as if nothing happened. Whatever the girl having the withdraws name was, she was wiggin' out and we could easily see that she was no longer human, though the film still has the cast kept acting like she was okay throughout the entire movie. Damn, it was annoying, but it is a movie.

All in all, it was still pretty good.
  32. May 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you are a fan of intense, violent gore films, with a side order of comedy, this is for you. As a fan of the original series, I was both excited and skeptical, but was immensely pleased when I left the theater. Both times. This film hits on so many levels, I had to make a check list. Tree rape-Check, Removal of ones own arm-Double Check, Jaw splitting via chainsaw-Check, Blood rain storm-Check. Seriously, what is there not to love? Expand
  33. Jun 24, 2013
    This was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. I definitely enjoyed it flaws and all. My only problems with the movie was the character development and the deadites themselves. In the original EvilThis was the first movie in the past decade that I looked forward to enough that I actually went to see the midnight premier. I've been a fan of the original trilogy since the early 90's, and I was determined to see this no matter what. I definitely enjoyed it flaws and all. My only problems with the movie was the character development and the deadites themselves. In the original Evil Dead the deadites were and still are terrifying. In the 2013 version they seem less like demonic being and more like the infected from 28 days later. The character development seems to just jump back and forth and it's not till the end that you realize that Mia was in fact the "final girl", despite being the main deadite for most of the film. The trailer led you to believe that David was the main protagonist and would be the "ash role", David is even shown in the trailer using the chainsaw which was eventually cut from the film. And lastly, I know a lot of people have a problem with this remake/reboot/sequel, some even reference the lack of comedy. But if you actually watched the original, there was no real comedy in it. The original was a normal horror movie, it wasn't until the sequels that it started to shift to a more black comedy than pure horror. Regardless of being a fan of the series or not, if you like horror and are not suffering from cranial rectitis then you'll enjoy the movie. Expand
  34. May 18, 2013
    Horror Genre perfection. Someone really needs to educate critics on the difference between the Horror Genre and the Thriller Genre. A horror movie not scaring you isn't a valid criticism.

Much like Evil Dead 2 this takes the original idea and reworks it in an original way. A completely solid and well written horror movie that gets under your skin like horror should. Real horror fans will not be disappointed.
  35. Jul 2, 2013
    ATTENZIONE SPOILER
    Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.
    Innanzitutto ho gradito quei piccoli particolari che permettono allo spettatore di capire cosa accade in tutto il film, infatti, non rimangono domande sospese o domande che il visionatore normalmente si farebbe come: "ma perchè non bruciano il libro"? Gli effetti speciali sono molto ben curati, nonostante sia un
    ATTENZIONE SPOILER
    Ecco perchè secondo me "LA CASA" un film da 9.

Gli effetti speciali sono molto ben curati, nonostante sia un remake non annoia ma anzi, ti tiene costantemente attento.

Indubbiamente per me uno dei migliori horror che abbia visto ultimamente. Davvero ben fatto, assolutamente consigliato :D
  36. May 28, 2013
    This movie absolutely went right down my alley! The movie delivered stunning gore effects (best in years), interesting story although not perfect, and great performance from Jane Levy. I recommend this movie to any horror fan or just simply Someone who enjoys movies.
  37. Jun 24, 2013
    The Evil Dead is actually one of the scariest movies ever, and it is one of the best classics, the remake Evil Dead is as good as the first, with better budget and better improves, but is Evil Dead (2013) scary as the The Evil Dead (1981) No. Evil Dead is extremely scary funny ride, with good acting and great story which is really improved!
  38. Jul 21, 2013
    Either it had to substitute Bruce Campbell's charisma with a character of its own or it had to develop the cast into people we could care about even a little. Failing both those options, it's good fun, but this is a well-crafted slasher flick that will be quickly forgotten.
  39. Aug 31, 2013
    It's mediocre. I have to say that the classic one is better than this one. There were some parts that gore shouldn't be. My favourite genre is horror, but this one is not good. It's not bad too though.
  40. Jul 19, 2013
    Typically remakes are never as good as the originals, however I'm glad to say this film doesn't follow that trend. Evil Dead (2013 version) did what the first two attempts could not and that is make a genuine scary, creepy, gory movie!!! I personally believe the horror genre is the hardest of all the genres to make a quality film worth any merit. And this version of Evil Dead is what theTypically remakes are never as good as the originals, however I'm glad to say this film doesn't follow that trend. Evil Dead (2013 version) did what the first two attempts could not and that is make a genuine scary, creepy, gory movie!!! I personally believe the horror genre is the hardest of all the genres to make a quality film worth any merit. And this version of Evil Dead is what the first two should have been...a quality horror film actually worth watching. I love this film and a must see if you are a TRUE horror fan! Expand
  41. Jul 29, 2013
    Brutal. Unforgiving. Unforgettable. Fun. I NEVER EVER sort by critic scores, because, well, they NEVER EVER get it right. Overtly dramatic movies with predictable love stories or movies that put me to sleep are the only ones to ever get decent scores. This movie is no exception. 57 average? compared to 7.7? Critics aren't people, and they don't count. Period. Evil Dead was a great horrorBrutal. Unforgiving. Unforgettable. Fun. I NEVER EVER sort by critic scores, because, well, they NEVER EVER get it right. Overtly dramatic movies with predictable love stories or movies that put me to sleep are the only ones to ever get decent scores. This movie is no exception. 57 average? compared to 7.7? Critics aren't people, and they don't count. Period. Evil Dead was a great horror flick with plenty of homage to the original. Expand
  42. Aug 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The re-utilization of practical effects makes this movie looks nasty and horrific. I feel this remake of the classic Evil Dead movie has done its part and it is a great horror movie. However there are missing scenes that are shown in the red band trailer. For instance the part where the possessed one that trapped in the basement says, "CUT IT! CUT IT!" but instead its being replaced to counter-psychological response saying "don't cut it". It feels the insanity is not there at all. On the other hand, it is a good start for new movies to imitate the practical effects and I can't wait to see what kind of movies will be made after. Expand
  43. Aug 6, 2013
    This movie kept surprising me. I am a fan of the original series and every time I thought the movie was going on a wrong turn, it just snapped back and proved me wrong. It is *ultra* violent but not in a bad way. See it.
  44. Aug 8, 2013
    As a re-imagining of a cult classic, this movie succeeds on multiple levels. Where this movie succeeds most in, is the way it feels like a new movie and reminds you of the originals at the same time. With excellent visuals, "good enough" acting, excellent use of practical effects and makeup and enough blood and cringe worthy moments to satisfy your palette, this is a worthy and veryAs a re-imagining of a cult classic, this movie succeeds on multiple levels. Where this movie succeeds most in, is the way it feels like a new movie and reminds you of the originals at the same time. With excellent visuals, "good enough" acting, excellent use of practical effects and makeup and enough blood and cringe worthy moments to satisfy your palette, this is a worthy and very successful film by a new time director. 10/10 Expand
  45. Aug 11, 2013
    This was not that scary to me. It was a good waste of an hour and a half, but the movie was just OK, not great. Everything that happened could have been avoided just by using common sense. Overall, this was OK, but it was most certainly not the best horror movie that I have ever seen.
  46. May 25, 2014
    The first Evil Dead was neither comical or "fun" when it first came out it was horrifying, gory, and relentless. Such as this film is. It also keeps in the tradition of each film being a different genre piece. Evil Dead was horror, Evil Dead 2 was horror comedy, and Army was comedy. People seem to completely forget the original Evil Dead and talk about Evil Dead 2 like it's the first. TheThe first Evil Dead was neither comical or "fun" when it first came out it was horrifying, gory, and relentless. Such as this film is. It also keeps in the tradition of each film being a different genre piece. Evil Dead was horror, Evil Dead 2 was horror comedy, and Army was comedy. People seem to completely forget the original Evil Dead and talk about Evil Dead 2 like it's the first. The only reason "Evil Dead" would be considered funny is due to its age and acting. This movie was fantastic, scary, non-stop, and crazy entertaining. Sure the film isn't perfect, but it makes up for that by being a blast to watch.

Overall I give this movie a 7.0 i will be buying this and re-watching many times
  47. Aug 28, 2013
    Surprisingly fun! However, never got enough suspense to chill out. Better than most other horror films out there but never outstanding. I recommend a try.
  48. Aug 29, 2013
    Anyone who says this is nothing like the original is wrong. The original was a gore film and so is this one. For some reason tho I do like this movie, it has that extra edge to it compared to the 1980's version. Worth a watch
  49. Sep 7, 2013
    Let me begin by saying I am a fan of the original as well as a fan of Sam Raimi. I was excited to see Evil Dead translated into a more modern style horror movie, and I was not disappointed. This movie was exactly what it was intended to be. No, Bruce Campbell will not burst through the door. There are nods to the original without giving us the exact same movie twice. If you don't like it,Let me begin by saying I am a fan of the original as well as a fan of Sam Raimi. I was excited to see Evil Dead translated into a more modern style horror movie, and I was not disappointed. This movie was exactly what it was intended to be. No, Bruce Campbell will not burst through the door. There are nods to the original without giving us the exact same movie twice. If you don't like it, I'm not sure what you were expecting. Expand
  50. Sep 30, 2013
    evil dead was surprisingly good. It was written well,the acting was good,and the special affects were awesome. it was really gory but it was still really good. this might sound weird but 2 scenes in the movie are actually quiet sad
  51. Nov 10, 2013
    This movie a god awful, I can pull better movie out of my butt. First of all I've never even heard of the director, his movies look terrible. The most important thing is that is doesn't even follow the old Evil Dead movie so what's the point In even making a new one. I will say this, Jane Levy as a heroin addict going through withdrawal is a interesting part.
  52. Dec 8, 2013
    A far too serious remake of a genius film. The main characters are not likeable and it isn't until towards the end where the film really becomes enjoyable.
  53. Mar 12, 2014
    Good movie to pass the time. It is scary in some aspects but the high inclusion of blood and masochist situations gives the movie a lack of approach to suspense and therefore, the aspects that people want to see in a real horror movie, but at last, it is entertaining and funny in certain way, regardless it is a thriller/horror film.
  54. Dec 24, 2013
    Evil Dead is, above all else, a disappointment, a disappointment in that it fails to capture what made the original Evil Dead great, the originals charm is gone, and has been replaced with many of the trappings of horror films today: lame writing, and (possibly the scariest thing of the entire film) horrifically bland acting. The original at least had the excuse that it had absolutely noEvil Dead is, above all else, a disappointment, a disappointment in that it fails to capture what made the original Evil Dead great, the originals charm is gone, and has been replaced with many of the trappings of horror films today: lame writing, and (possibly the scariest thing of the entire film) horrifically bland acting. The original at least had the excuse that it had absolutely no budget and no true star power, so of course it's going to be a little underwhelming, yet this is a movie with a bigger budget and somehow it's more poorly written and not well acted. However, I'm still not giving this a low score, why, because it still has good stuff in it. The gore is back full force and there is cringe worthy fun in how over the top extreme it is. Even if four of the main cast are horribly bland, Jane Levy is actually pretty good in the film, sensitive yet also a bad ass action star, hopefully, in sequels they will just keep her and the actors will improve. Finally, that last thing that keeps me from flat out panning this film is that despite the lame writing, the story is actually not that bad, in fact it has a climax that is a huge blast of fun and blood, so yeah, do I hate it, no, but I will say, this is, perhaps, the biggest disappointment of this year Expand
  55. Jan 25, 2014
    I enjoyed watching this movie. It isn't the most horrific or scary movie, but the cinematography is excellent. This has to be one of the best lower budget remakes of older films to date. There are a few jump scares throughout this film. Some parts of this film also make you cringe. It is an exciting movie and would recommend it to others.
  56. Feb 14, 2014
    The remake of the Evil dead series by Sam Raimi does live up to it's reputation from the first film which is gruesome and bloody, but does forget the humor-- One of the things that made the very film popular in the first place.
  57. Mar 14, 2014
    out of all the scary films i saw on my tv i never saw a movie that had so much blood . sure a 1981 evil dead was good but this is one of the gore fest movies i had ever seen . sure i saw james wan's saw and it wasnt epic as evil dead remake . but i wish evil dead remake had a sequel
  58. Apr 8, 2014
    “Evil Dead” oder “Die Rache der Klofrau”
    Komm grad aus dem Kino. Haben zu viert (vier Cineasten, muss ich dazu sagen) das Remake vom indizierten Skandal-Kult-Horror-Film “Evil Dead”, deutsch: “Tanz der Teufel”, angeschaut.
    Wobei “angeschaut” nicht das richtige Wort ist, denn so wirklich viel auf die Leinwand schauen konnte ich nicht. Aber dazu später. (Spoileralarm) Die Handlung
    “Evil Dead” oder “Die Rache der Klofrau”

(Spoileralarm)

Die Handlung ist kurz erklärt, wenn nicht schon durch die Medien derzeit hinlänglich bekannt:
    Junge Erwachsene (klar, 2 Frauen, 2 Kerle) fahren in den Wald, um einer der beiden Mädels in einer ziemlich **** Holzhütte übers Wochenende auf die Schnelle einen “kalten Entzug” aufzudrücken.
    Mit dabei der Bruder von Frau Junkie, ein Jesus-Freak (sieht jedenfalls so aus, die Rolle ist im Übrigen absolut unterentwickelt), die Freundin vom Bruder von Frau Junkie (die im gesamten Film, wenn überhaupt, 3 ganze Sätze spricht), und - natürlich - eine Krankenschwester, die sich zutraut, ohne ärztliche Aufsicht mal eben in einer dreckigen Holzhütte (Stichwort: beruhigendes Ambiente…) ihrer Freundin die Heroinsucht auszutreiben.
    Kurz und gut: beste Voraussetzungen für eineinhalb Stunden Blut, Kettensägen, Nägel in Kopp, Messer in die Fresse… uuuund, was fehlt? Ach ja: Zombies.
    OK, bei “Evil Dead” gibt es keine Zombies, sondern dämonische Heimsuchungen mit gelben Augen, verzerrter Stimme, viel Fäkalsprache und sonstigem beim “Exorzisten” entliehenen Dingenszeugs.
    Die Zombies tauchen natürlich nicht einfach so auf, weit gefehlt!
    Durch einen blöden … ääähm … Zufall finden die vier im Keller des Hauses tote Katzen, viele Fliegen und das Buuuuhuuuuch, welches zu dem Zeitpunkt keine große Überraschung mehr ist, da es im Mini-Vorspann schon längt eingeführt wurde und dem Zuschauer ab Minute 3 klar sein sollte, was die nächsten 88 Minuten passieren wird.
    … Denkste.
    Denn was in den restlichen Filmstreifen oder HD-Speicher-Chip-Dateneinheiten passiert, übersteigt laut Presse und Machern alles bis dahin Dagewesene im Horror-Genre.
    Gähn.

Jo, es ist blutig.
    Jo, es ist oft eklig.
    Jo, es ist krank.
    Aber es geht in keiner Sekunde unter die Haut. Jedenfalls nicht mir als Zuschauer. Den Protagonisten geht so ziemlich alles unter die Haut: Nadeln, Glasscherben, Nägel, Messer, Äste (Stichwort: Vergewaltigung)… und natürlich die rostige, oben schon erwähnte und oft bewährte Kettensäge.

(Apropos ”unter die Haut”: Das Thema Sex spielt Gott sei Dank trotz des jugendlichen Personals keine Rolle. Das hebt den Film zwar nicht weit aus seiner schlammigen Versenkung heraus, ist aber immerhin eine Erwähnung wert.)

Was allerdings im Original 1981 unter die Haut ging, waren die Beziehungen der Protagonisten zueinander. Die Effekte waren damals - nach heutigen Standards - verflucht grottig (Stichwort: Knetmasse), aber man konnte nachvollziehen, warum die einzelnen “Überlebenden” sich weigerten, ihre Freunde mit der Nagelfeile die Kehle durchzuschneiden. Weil da Verbindungen, echte Freundschaften …. Werte und Moral … im Spiel waren.

2013 gibt es auch Freundschaften, nur sind die schon von Anfang an kaputt. Es gibt Familienbande, die allerdings nicht nur kaputt, sondern auch absolut bescheuert inszeniert sind (Stichwort: Mutter).
    Und es gibt ein Finale, das die Bezeichnung nicht annähernd verdient und das Original-Ende von 1981 auf einen goldenen Sockel hievt.

Wer sich auch einen goldenen Sockel kaufen können sollte, ist die Klofrau vom CineMaxx hier in Muc.
    Denn was die Leute während des Films aufs Klo gerannt sind, war phänomenal.
    Teilweise hatte ich das Gefühl, der Film bestünde nur aus Schwarzblenden, weil dauernd ein unförmiger Körper aus irgendeiner Reihe vor uns sich durchs Bild schob und mir die Sicht auf die Leinwand beraubte. Kaum hatte er das Ende der Sitzreihe erreicht, gabs die nächste Schwarzblende, denn es kam ja schon der Vorgänger von seiner Klofrau-Belästigung zurück.

Leute, bitte zieht Euch Windeln an oder sauft weniger Cola, wenn Ihr ins Kino geht!! Was ist denn mit Euch bloß los?!
    Ihr lieben Leser meint, ich übertreibe. Fragt @playdead2010, der neben mir saß. Er wird Euch bestätigen, dass der heimliche Star des Abends die Klofrau gewesen sein muss.

Und, liebe Pissoir- und Schüsselbesucher… wenn Ihr die nicht anständig belohnt habt… dann droht sie Euch…

DIE RACHE DER KLOFRAU

DAS wird ein blutiges Kino-Spektakel, auf das ich mich schon jetzt freue.
    Und ich werde in der ersten Reihe sitzen, mit einem fetten Eimer Popcorn, 3l Cola, einem eingeschalteten Handy, viel Gesprächsbedarf.

Und einer Windel.
  59. Apr 9, 2014
    Okay just to make things clear: There is way TOO MUCH BLOOD! The beginning is ok but not original, but when the action starts there is a lot of good horror and action scenes.I am not saying i don't like when there is too much blood on movies but for this one it's overrated. A good movie but not extraordinary, he can stay in our mind but not if you find something better
  60. May 11, 2014
    Remake of the cult horror film of the 80s directed by Sam Raimi, "The House " by Fede Alvarez , against all odds is a decent horror film that offers an ' excellent and essential component splatter.
    At the technical level is almost perfect . The direction , although it was entrusted to a novice , it is discreet and overflowing with good ideas , the photograph appears almost bloody , and the script manages to convince thanks to its simplicity and the desire to not take itself too seriously . Flaw , however, in the staging that can not be grim and dark like the original, this also because of the little picturesque scenery . It must be said , too, that despite the past thirty years from the original, this remake fails minimally to strike the same terror , and especially to recreate that dark feature of the whole trilogy, Raimi , who took part in the production and implementation of the remake with Bruce Campbell. Surely the touch of Raimi it can be seen in the fabulous splatter scenes , but the staging is definitely not the result of his creativity.
    In conclusion, surely "The House " by Fede Alvarez taken as a single film can only be a good product, but it absolutely does not stand comparison with the 1981 original , directed by a director but not a genius ....
  61. Nov 22, 2014
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen in the theatre. This remake has nothing on the original. It loaded with a bit two much gore. I did like the upgrade in the special effects to make everything look a little bit scarier. This adaptation didn't develop enough individuality. It relied too much on the original film for inspiration. There are some movies that just shouldn't be remade. TheOne of the worst movies I've ever seen in the theatre. This remake has nothing on the original. It loaded with a bit two much gore. I did like the upgrade in the special effects to make everything look a little bit scarier. This adaptation didn't develop enough individuality. It relied too much on the original film for inspiration. There are some movies that just shouldn't be remade. The Evil Dead is one of them. Expand
  62. Sep 2, 2014
    This is probably the goriest widely released Hollywood film ever made. It's an extremely entertaining reboot of the infamous Evil Dead series, and "Evil Dead" is not just a shot-for-shot remake of the original; it's a completely different movie with new characters and plot points. The acting is okay from most of the actors, and the cinematography is great as well. I definitely recommendThis is probably the goriest widely released Hollywood film ever made. It's an extremely entertaining reboot of the infamous Evil Dead series, and "Evil Dead" is not just a shot-for-shot remake of the original; it's a completely different movie with new characters and plot points. The acting is okay from most of the actors, and the cinematography is great as well. I definitely recommend this to anyone who can stomach a lot of blood and gore. Expand
  63. Oct 12, 2014
    Not as great as the original movies, but keeps the essence, and if in the future Fede Alvarez and Sam Raimi decide to make a sequel I hope some improvements with a little black comedy, some better sequences and visuals. (60 - 100)
  64. Dec 11, 2014
    Summary: It fails to provide enough black humor and scares. 44/100 [C-]

Summary: It fails to provide enough black humor and scares. 44/100 [C-]

Five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin. When they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival. Evil Dead is directed by Federico Álvarez, he's an Uruguayan director. It also boasts a well known cast like Jane Levy and Shiloh Fernandez. Moving on, I actually liked the first hour of the film but my main problem is the over-the-top final act. It was too gory and exaggerated. Although its first hour is very entertaining and quite scary, the last 30 minutes are a truly bloody mess.

The opening scene is truly terrifying and extremely violent. I also like that the film does not use too much CGI, the special effects are practical and everything looks realistic. It definitely boasts some bloody and violent moments that fans of the original will enjoy, but another problem with Evil Dead (2013) is that it wasn't genuine enough, it's a shame that the movie relies on gore and forgets about its own narrative coherence. It's excessively gory, especially in its final act, it was too much. Also, most of the scariest scenes are in the trailer! However, it's still worth watching if you're a horror fan. As I said, I enjoyed the first hour, the rest of the movie was pretty messy.

It seems like it wants to copy the unique black humor from the old ones. Moving on, there's a scene after credits that you will probably enjoy, especially if you're a fan of the Evil Dead saga. I recommend it if you're a huge fan of gory horror movies and I also recommend it if you're fan of the franchise, but you shouldn't have very high expectations. I do not recommend it if you're not fan of the horror genre or if you expect interesting characters. In conclusion, this movie is just gory and nothing more, the characters are not engrossing enough and some of the black humor just doesn't work. It's awkwardly unfunny, there isn't a balance between the horror and the comedy. [C-]
  65. Nov 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a horror movie, it was great. Although I did not particularly like the main male character, I thought it embodied the soul (pun definitely intended) of a horror movie. I'm a big fan of the Campbell movies, and as a remake of his first evil dead, it did not chalk up to what was expected, however you will be pleasantly surprised if you are hoping for a killer one armed chainsaw fight Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nigel Floyd
    Apr 29, 2013
    Despite much old-school splatter, it’s seldom frightening and oddly unfunny.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    It is nowhere near as creepy as the recent indie horror "V/H/S," but it is a full-bloodedly grisly and macabre film that zaps over a few scares.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Apr 15, 2013
    Closer to Eli Roth than Sam Raimi, this brutal retread combines J-horror atmospherics with torture-porn kills. It’s more evisceration than invention but at least has the courage of its bloody-minded convictions.