7.4

1. Apr 12, 2013
    First off. Its a B rated movie that could not have cost more then 25,000.00 to make. 2nd off. I think you would have to be severely intoxicated to give this movie more then a 1 out of 10. Bad acting, bad plot if you can even call it one. Did I mention bad acting. Where did they find these so called actors? Oh yeah, B rated movie with 25,00.00 budget. I want my money back. This movieFirst off. Its a B rated movie that could not have cost more then 25,000.00 to make. 2nd off. I think you would have to be severely intoxicated to give this movie more then a 1 out of 10. Bad acting, bad plot if you can even call it one. Did I mention bad acting. Where did they find these so called actors? Oh yeah, B rated movie with 25,00.00 budget. I want my money back. This movie wouldn't even be scary if you watched it in the cabin. Want to see a scary movie go see the newest releases of Friday The 13th or the latest Halloween movie. Saw movies were much better. Evil Dead should just stay dead, It sucked big time.But go see it and waste your money and be pissed that you didnt believe me. For you people that liked it, WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU ON? This movie has nothing a horror movie needs to be good. I'm pissed I just wasted my time writing a review but felt it was my civil duty. The republicans getting into office would make a good Horror flick. We could watch Romney and Ryan try to off one another. Expand
  2. Apr 12, 2013
    I just read a user review marking this film as "the Exorcist for this generation" and I threw up a little in my mouth. This does not come close to any of the scares of that masterpiece. This remake had a little tension and a lot of gore. I will give them credit for trying to make us care for the kids involved (the whole drug addiction mommy issues) but I found myself wishing for BruceI just read a user review marking this film as "the Exorcist for this generation" and I threw up a little in my mouth. This does not come close to any of the scares of that masterpiece. This remake had a little tension and a lot of gore. I will give them credit for trying to make us care for the kids involved (the whole drug addiction mommy issues) but I found myself wishing for Bruce Campbell throughout the entire film because he was what made the original so entertaining to watch. None of the cast had a quarter of that man's charisma. The nods were cheeky and a bit clever, but again, only made me wish I was watching the original or its sequel. I cannot find fault in others enjoying this film it really is not a bad film, as far as horror films go. But I felt like it had more than a few opportunities to separate itself from the pack and provide genuine terror. Gore, to me, is uncomfortable, and should only enhance your fear not try to provide it. I have been scared by films before with genuine tension (Vacancy and Frailty immediately jump to my mind) but this completely lacked it. Whether or not you will enjoy this film entirely depends on what you deem to be fearful. Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2013
    This movie takes one of the most creative and energetic horror movies and saps all creativity and energy from it. If you can make it through the first half hour, which is intolerably boring and filled with bland acting and bad writing, you'll be treated to some nice, but repetitive gore effects. There is no one for you to root for as in the original and none of the deadites are thatThis movie takes one of the most creative and energetic horror movies and saps all creativity and energy from it. If you can make it through the first half hour, which is intolerably boring and filled with bland acting and bad writing, you'll be treated to some nice, but repetitive gore effects. There is no one for you to root for as in the original and none of the deadites are that threatening so there is nothing but the special effects to interest you in the movie, and the special effects are no where near as fun or inventive as in the original. This movie is a competent waste of time, and I can't advocate anybody wasting their time watching it. Watch the original over again, it's much more fun. Expand
  4. Apr 11, 2013
    If you've been half as disappointed in the horror movie genre during this whole paranormal activity craze as I have, its a great idea to go see this movie. From it's clever beginning to its brilliant end, you'll feel perfectly uncomfortable and delighted in all it's gory goodness. Best horror movie in years.
  5. Apr 11, 2013
    Evil Dead is bloody, violent and just really really well done...its horror is very in your face and physical, its anti CGI.......you feel the blows in the first scene and from there it makes you squirm at the cuts, stabs, pokes and nails to come..

the movie knows this and enjoys tweaking your expectations and unlike many horror genre pics, it does not let the viewer down.. This movie

This movie is much more than a remake...its a totally different film...of course, it references the original in many ways, but goes its own way too, and it uses the original movies to its own advantage..right up to the end.....it natural to compare them..but they are both worthy of enjoyment...

If you have ever in your life enjoyed a bloody horror pic, you owe yourself to see this..
  6. Apr 11, 2013
    A creepy horror movie, but needlessly gory and bloody. Nothing left to the imagination. Everything shown in excruciating detail. It's repetitive, violent, and stocked with characters you never get a chance to care about, other than the family dog.
  7. Apr 11, 2013
    If your a generation Y-horror movie type person, you'll love the new Evil Dead. People who didn't like the originals are loving this one. Of course, if you come out of the theatre saying "that was AWESOME!" (like most are), then it only proves your likely part of this generations moviegoers that are clueless to Gen X horror flicks, and the movie was desgined with this in mind. The modernIf your a generation Y-horror movie type person, you'll love the new Evil Dead. People who didn't like the originals are loving this one. Of course, if you come out of the theatre saying "that was AWESOME!" (like most are), then it only proves your likely part of this generations moviegoers that are clueless to Gen X horror flicks, and the movie was desgined with this in mind. The modern generation-y "fly by night" audience. Its easier to scare todays audiences because they dont know what a great horror flick is... or what made them great. They're too busy on their phones and tablets and swag to pay attention to a movie for more than 5 minutes anyway, so the producers have to throw in gorish shockers to get their attention back... throw in a story too complex for their "fast food" style mindsets to understand, and they get up and leave. They weren't leaving the theatres this time... unless they were sick... when i went, a couple people threw up and some gals with their boyfriends jumped and cried during scenes. Heh, even some of these bieber-wannabe goons were grossed out and jumping. I laughed deep inside at how easily society is impressed these days.

I personally give "Evil Dead 2013" a 7.5/10.... wasnt terrible, wasnt bad, just to me... was lukewarm for a evil dead flick... Better than almost any recent horroflicks in mind over the past 10 years, but catered too much with weaker, boring characters and plot that most modern horror movies do. There isn't a "Ash" character that steps up to the plate. The story is "hum-dee-dum" at best. Even the deadites are more toned down for the pussified pieces of that are todays society... they are nowhere near as demonic or detailed as that of the 80's versions. It's not scary. It's slightly creepy. It's "a little creepy", at best. But what once was the fear of a nation in the 1970's/80's (satanic cults, black magic, books of the undead) is no longer a fear in 2013... that stuff isnt as spooky as it was back when it was still mysterious and creepy. Why? Because noone fears that stuff anymore... There was alot of uncertainty and social panic over it then, but not today. The Necronomicon isn't nearly a spook factor as it once was. The deadites now even sound ridicolous... they were scary back in the day... they sounded possessed, demonic. Now they sound just lame, very flat, mono, and childish.... imagine a PG13 voice of Regan from "The Exorcist". Fortunately, they do yell some pretty horrific obscentities, such as "ILL YOUR MOTHERS IN HELL", but even that sounds humorous and so cheesy (and not in a good way) that only someone of generation y would find scary or interesting.

Where the new movie excels at, however, is the atmospheric enviornment and the gore. There is TONS of gore. GORE GORE GORE... and boy, they go all out. IF your the least bit queasy to gore, dont bother seeing this.... in any other movie, when you see them about to do something gory and you say "They arent gonna show it"... well, this movie does, and it drags it out till you cringe. And the humour. Its harder to spot in light of a attempted more serious approach, but there is still horror-comedy in it for us fans who know what to look for.. especially in the gore.

If Gore gives you a hard-on and makes the horror movie... then by all means, you will love this movie. And it does a good job with the atmosphere and some throwback nods to the originals. But for the hardcore fans, it's just "ok" and caters WAY TOO MUCH to todays horror movie steretypes to be anything special.

However, anyone else, would probably give it a 9/10 or higher. After all, it is probably the most intense modern day horror movie. For me, though, gore alone doesnt make the movie. Luckily the atmosphere and sick humor were still there just enough for me to enjoy it and give it that 7.5/10. Strip those out, and I'd have given it a 6.5/10

Sadly, I can't mark a 7.5/10 on Metacritic reviews, so rounding it off, it gets an 8/10 here. And this is coming from a hardcore fan of the Evil Dead series who has watched them countless times over the past couple of decades.
  8. Apr 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well what can I say, other than AMAZING. The way the trailer led you on and then in the film it just hits you! The best horror film I have seen in a while. Expand
  9. Apr 9, 2013
    Introduction that has nothing to do with the rest of the film? Check. Main antagonist is a girl that looks ridiculously like the chick from The Ring? Check. Every five seconds the retards in the movie are duped by the "I promise I'm back to normal! Come help mee ---AARUGHH eatsyourface" ploy? Check. Shock violence made up of the last ten years+ of "horror" movies all balled up into one andIntroduction that has nothing to do with the rest of the film? Check. Main antagonist is a girl that looks ridiculously like the chick from The Ring? Check. Every five seconds the retards in the movie are duped by the "I promise I'm back to normal! Come help mee ---AARUGHH eatsyourface" ploy? Check. Shock violence made up of the last ten years+ of "horror" movies all balled up into one and for seemingly no reason other than "it was in the book?" Check.

This movie has all the makings of the worst of the worst "horror" movies, yet, this is supposed to be a remake of one of the best? Wait. No, wait. Wait. What?! This is the Evil Dead? This is what we got?

There is literally no homage in this movie what-so-ever except there's a cabin and there's a rape tree. Kudos to the director apparently using no CGI, etc, whatever; but instead he just decided to juxtapose a bunch of stupid-ass scenes of self-mutilation that has been done over and over in movies since forever; oh, but it's not CGI, I guess we forgive him for that.

The whole time this movie was playing I literally kept thinking that Ash was going to come out of the Necronomicon (which is never mentioned by name in this movie or explain in mythology even once) and say, "Wait. You're doing this wrong." and demolish everything. I was seriously thinking that had me played for a fool and that this was all some sort of spoof that was going to be redeemed. But no. That was just the movie.

I hate this. I hate life when this is a movie that exists.
  10. Apr 9, 2013
    no were close to evil dead 1981 or evil dead 2 and army of darkness. i thought it was going to be better then that. the acting was pretty good. just very disapointed and so was my mom. me and my mom are big evil dead fans
  11. Apr 9, 2013
    It was unbelievably so much better than the original. The character development was good, it was way more entertaining, it was way more realistic, and the ending was way better. Despite it being disgustingly gruesome and at times I covered my eyes in the movie theater, I felt that it really brought a new kind of style to the horror genre. I can't wait until Army Of Darkness 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. Apr 9, 2013
    This movie has provided a roller coaster of emotions for me in the sense that when I first heard about it was vehemently opposed to the idea. I don't understand how they can spend 20 years saying that no one would be interested in an Evil Dead 4 but somehow suddenly an Evil Dead remake would be a great idea. Then, I saw the trailer and found myself interested again. The look wasThis movie has provided a roller coaster of emotions for me in the sense that when I first heard about it was vehemently opposed to the idea. I don't understand how they can spend 20 years saying that no one would be interested in an Evil Dead 4 but somehow suddenly an Evil Dead remake would be a great idea. Then, I saw the trailer and found myself interested again. The look was interesting and there seemed to be a lot of cool effects. But let's move on to how I felt after actually seeing the movie...

Overall, the movie was fine. There was actually a lot of stuff there for the old school fans like the music, the look of the cabin and some lines that were obviously pulled from the original movies to help it appeal to all of the fans who were pissed that there's no Ash character. (Yes, including me.) However, the dialogue was a big part of what made this one of those movies that was good enough for one viewing but that I will probably never see again. I have no problem with bad language but when ALL of your characters use nothing but the F-word and the S-word then it just makes them sound stupid. And all of the business with the main character (Mia) being a drug addict seemed tacked-on and pointless. I mean, it's fine but when they kept going back to it, it just got old. It was like, fight death horror, oh wait remember how you left our family when mom was sick? And on top of that, I found Mia to be just a really unlikable character. Partly the way she was written, partly the acting. But that's subjective.

SPOILERS Okay, there was a point where I was actually really into this movie and it was where David (essentially the Ash character) was kicking Deadite ass. He does all the work of figuring out what needs to be done and taking out the Deadites one by one. Then... he buries Mia (which is one of the ways of saving her soul as opposed to only bodily dismemberment as in the originals) and then bringing her back to life so she can be the sole survivor. He even constructs a defibrillator out of tools in the shed which is very Ash. But yes, she comes back to life and even after being drenched in scolding hot water, she is TOTALLY FINE! Fine enough that she can destroy whatever the evil is after David did all the work.

Look, I realize I'm an old-school fan here but I just don't see the point in excising the very thing that made the original awesome in the first place. The male hero of the series (Ash) is so uncommon in horror films. Name another horror film where the hero is a guy. Name another horror film where fans go to see the good guy (instead of Jason, Michael, Freddy)! And now, the remake has just made it into another Girl Survivor movie and not even a likable girl survivor at that. And the "extra scene" after the credits isn't even worth sticking around for. I should point out that it's FINE that the survivor is a girl. My point is that now the movie is just like every other horror film ever and who wants to see the same thing over and over? END SPOILERS.

So, while I can't say this was a horrible film at all, I just think it took everything that made the original fun and different out and replaced it with every other horror film cliche that you've seen for 20 years.
  13. Apr 9, 2013
    An excellent re-imagining of an iconic movie. Ignore the romantic comedy fans posting negative reviews, this movie is destined to be a classic of horror...GO SEE IT NOW!
  14. Apr 9, 2013
    I was actually really excited to see this movie thinking maybe this time it will actually be scary but it was just a huge let down. The acting was terrible. I understand its a horror film but please if your arm is being cut off act like it hurts and not like your being tickled! Sheesh! I found the movie to actually be pretty close on the remake, besides the soul-less actors. I believe theI was actually really excited to see this movie thinking maybe this time it will actually be scary but it was just a huge let down. The acting was terrible. I understand its a horror film but please if your arm is being cut off act like it hurts and not like your being tickled! Sheesh! I found the movie to actually be pretty close on the remake, besides the soul-less actors. I believe the only reason this movie got such a good review is because our new generation and their sick addiction to blood and gore. A horror movie does not mean let me add all the blood and guts I can find. I wouldn't really recommend the movie but if your a fan I say take the risk and see for yourself! Expand
  15. Apr 9, 2013
    I was nervous when I heard the film was being remade but still curious, then I saw the trailer and realized it was going to be similar to contemporary horror films in terms of aesthetic. Still I went to see it anyways, the film is beautifully shot and in some instances is just a collection of still photographs, which I found great. The film score is also well done and the heroin addictionI was nervous when I heard the film was being remade but still curious, then I saw the trailer and realized it was going to be similar to contemporary horror films in terms of aesthetic. Still I went to see it anyways, the film is beautifully shot and in some instances is just a collection of still photographs, which I found great. The film score is also well done and the heroin addiction angle is great yet it still left me feeling unsatisfied because it went predominantly down the horror route and most of the camp and tropes of the original film were dispensed with. This is not to say that I am a purist but if the appearance of objects such as the chainsaw and shotgun were only going to really act as callbacks to the old film then it seemed somewhat pointless. Nevertheless a great technical film and good adaption of the original. Bring out more Spanish filmmakers. Expand
  16. Apr 9, 2013
    For those who know the originals (I loved ED2), the story's pretty much the same. If you don't, it's still familiar: a group in a cabin unleashes an evil presence. Unlike the originals, this one is mostly dull. Many of the goriest killings are camouflaged with bad editing. The makeup efx on "Walking Dead" are better. Is anyone frightened by creepy eyes and twitching anymore? The pacingFor those who know the originals (I loved ED2), the story's pretty much the same. If you don't, it's still familiar: a group in a cabin unleashes an evil presence. Unlike the originals, this one is mostly dull. Many of the goriest killings are camouflaged with bad editing. The makeup efx on "Walking Dead" are better. Is anyone frightened by creepy eyes and twitching anymore? The pacing lacks momentum and the overbearing music just seems silly. There are a few fun moments and the cinematography is simply beautiful. By modern genre standards, this doesn't even hold up to the old standards. NOTE: Stick thru the credits for a groovy homage. Expand
  17. Apr 9, 2013
    I can't, as a stand alone movie it wasn't bad but I'm upset that this was called Evil Dead, it had just enough references to be passed off as a remake but it lacked everything good about the original. The original didn't spend half the movie explaining the character's back story, it had humor and the scares were totally unexpected and over the top. That dramatic, over the top quality fromI can't, as a stand alone movie it wasn't bad but I'm upset that this was called Evil Dead, it had just enough references to be passed off as a remake but it lacked everything good about the original. The original didn't spend half the movie explaining the character's back story, it had humor and the scares were totally unexpected and over the top. That dramatic, over the top quality from the original movies is completely gone, even the possessed seem tired, they weren't nearly as intense as they should have been. I went into it expecting that sort of Drag Me to Hell/Cabin in the Woods feel where it's over the edge and exaggerating the horror cliches to the upmost as those were clearly inspired by the original. This was too dry and serious. How the hell are they gonna do Army of Darkness? Just... Please don't not bad on it's own but it feels like a slap in the face to fans of the original movies. Expand
  18. Apr 8, 2013
    Aside from a few jump scares it's really not a very scary movie, but the original wasn't very scary either. The gore is everything you could want, graphic, unflinching at times even comical. It's a dedicated remake that loses some steam towards the end but still very enjoyable. Not for the squeamish.
  19. Apr 8, 2013
    *posted on my original blog, fernandoatthemovies.blogspot.com as well*

I am a huge fan of the original Evil Dead films(The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness). So I was really skeptical going in to see this film. However, I can tell you, as a huge fan of the original trilogy, that I really enjoyed this film more than I thought I was going to. Evil Dead is about when five
    *posted on my original blog, fernandoatthemovies.blogspot.com as well*

Evil Dead is about when five people go into a cabin in the woods, they soon come upon the Necromonican Ex-Mortis, aka The Book of the Dead, where they unwittingly unleash flesh possessing demon, in which one by one are trying to survive.

Even though the story of the film is very cliché and overused, when watching this film, it feels like if it was new. The horror cliché works for the film. Also, I found that the reason why they wouldn't leave to be better than the original, as in this one, they sort of had a point in staying. I also really liked the homage to the original films.

One thing that I liked about this film was the production of it all. You can tell that the creators was trying their best to make a remake that will stand out, in which 99% of the effects of the film were practical, meaning that they made it with little to no CGI. That aspect alone helps the film, as it made the situation look more realistic for the audience. Also, you can also tell that the creators of this film did this movie with so much care and thought to please the original films. Not only were the situations in the film were well shot and executed, but they put it with care. Fede Alvarez, alongside with producers Sam Raimi(director of original films) and Bruce Campbell, do a great job in trying to please the fans.

Speaking of the situations, this film has a lot of brutality against the characters. There is blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. It is not like torture films, in which torturing is the whole point, but there is a lot of it. I am letting you know that if you are very squeamish, then you will have a hard time watching this film. And it feels more real because of all the practical effects. I have no idea how this got an R rating.

Let's talk about the characters. None of them come close to Bruce Campbell's "Groovy" performance of Ash William(star of the original films). In fact, the weakest link to the film was the characterization. Most of the characters are just there to die. You just don't care about most of them.

The ones that I really cared about was Eric, portrayed by Lou Taylor Pucci. Even though he is the reason why this whole thing started, I can't hide the fact that I was rooting for him the most in this film, as well as Mia, portrayed well by Jane Levy, who actually has the best characterization of all of them. These two characters were the ones who took the most beating in this film, and the ones who really stood out.

The only things that I didn't like, other than the characterization, was that it lacks the humor that the original Evil Dead films had. This film was humorless. It also wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be, but watching these people in these situations was fun to watch. This movie is creepy and fun to watch, not scary.

So Evil Dead is a satisfying remake to the franchise, even though it isn't as good as the original films. Fun, Creepy, and INSANELY gory to watch, Evil Dead is Blu-Ray Worthy.(Oh, and if you’re a fan of the original, stay after the credits.)
  20. Apr 8, 2013
    All I can say is that Evil Dead was fantastic! There is tons of blood. I mean take your idea of a lot and multiply it by about 10,000 and that's pretty much the amount of blood and gore used in the Evil Dead. The thing that is really great about Evil Dead is that there is tons of suspense with a few jump scares. There is very little humor in this movie. So, if your one of those narrowAll I can say is that Evil Dead was fantastic! There is tons of blood. I mean take your idea of a lot and multiply it by about 10,000 and that's pretty much the amount of blood and gore used in the Evil Dead. The thing that is really great about Evil Dead is that there is tons of suspense with a few jump scares. There is very little humor in this movie. So, if your one of those narrow minded people who believes that the original was fun and had "great acting" Expand
  21. Apr 8, 2013
    I really enjoyed the new serious take on Evil Dead. It definitely doesn't have the charm of the original but I think it is just as good. Stay after the credits!
  22. Apr 8, 2013
    A fantastic new vision on an already great franchise make this a must see for an die hard horror fan. A great ride from start to finish that features tons of thrills and tons and tons of blood.
  23. Apr 8, 2013
    I've watched my fair share of horror movies, and like many members of the so-called "modern audience" I'd say there is a certain level of desensitization to the genre. It has become very difficult for me to feel frightened while watching a horror movie these days. That said I can honestly say that there were moments in this movie that legitimately terrified me. The gore is borderlineI've watched my fair share of horror movies, and like many members of the so-called "modern audience" I'd say there is a certain level of desensitization to the genre. It has become very difficult for me to feel frightened while watching a horror movie these days. That said I can honestly say that there were moments in this movie that legitimately terrified me. The gore is borderline excessive and I do mean borderline; it was the right level thereof. It brought a thrill and intensity that was truly chilling. The fact that they went completely with the practical effects approach really added a sense of realism to an otherwise unrealistic situation. Admittedly there is a certain level of stupidity in the face of the situation that some of the characters possess, but that adds to the entertainment value. As a side note, I thought it was kinda funny that the first letters of all the main characters spell out DEMON. Finally I give a nod to the Easter Egg at the end of the credits. Expand
  24. Apr 8, 2013
    Evil Dead fan here. This movie was actually decent for a horror movie. Think Evil Dead with a budget, but missing the comical genius of Bruce Campbell. In the original, the actors outside of Bruce Campbell were terrible, but in this film everyone does a decent job. Also, glad that they used hardly any CGI, and went mostly with traditional makeup. I don't think we needed a reboot of theEvil Dead fan here. This movie was actually decent for a horror movie. Think Evil Dead with a budget, but missing the comical genius of Bruce Campbell. In the original, the actors outside of Bruce Campbell were terrible, but in this film everyone does a decent job. Also, glad that they used hardly any CGI, and went mostly with traditional makeup. I don't think we needed a reboot of the film, but as a movie it's pretty entertaining. Expand
  25. Apr 7, 2013
    I came into this movie expecting another wonderful performance from the acclaimed movie star Bruce Campbell. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. Bruce always does a fine job but this one is his best performance, even beating out favorites like the first evil dead and army of darkness. 9/10 stars.
  26. Apr 7, 2013
    Ok, this was a freaking scary movie. It reminded me of the old classics like Halloween (the original, of course) that put the fear of evil in you. From the beginning to the end, it was awesome. I kept wanted to turn away but just couldn't. Had to see all the gore. The make up and effects are so well placed. Reminded me of Cabin in the Woods. It is a def rent-to-own for Halloween movie!
  27. Apr 7, 2013
    This "remake" is a visceral, bloody, painful and incredibly dark re-imagining of the classic horror film. This is not the campy classic original, but a twisted, blood filled gore fest with a terrific sense of being it's own thing while still paying homage to the originals. While the story does have a few holes, its still very well plotted. For the first film by this new director, I lookThis "remake" is a visceral, bloody, painful and incredibly dark re-imagining of the classic horror film. This is not the campy classic original, but a twisted, blood filled gore fest with a terrific sense of being it's own thing while still paying homage to the originals. While the story does have a few holes, its still very well plotted. For the first film by this new director, I look forward to more from him. Go in expecting Death Death and more Death in many different and gruesome ways. A bit of an overkill sometimes, but that's just part of the fun. 8.5/10 Expand
  28. Apr 7, 2013
    If you are a true Evil Dead fan, you will not only love, but appreciate this movie's existence.

Don't let any of the poor reviews fool you, don't let the critic scores fool you, this is an amazing score and only proves that paid critics know nothing about good movies.
  29. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They announced that this movie was not going to be like the original in the comedy aspect and people are complaining that it isn't. This movie is as old-school as it can get with the fact that they did not use cgi to carry out any of the violent scenes in the movie. Unlike other movies that cut away from the violence we were presented with everything that would normally happen off screen. That being said there are numerous references to the original movies including filming techniques that make it an absolute treat to watch. The gore scenes left me grinning as I thought about how much effort it took their special effects and makeup personnel to make it look just right. While it doesn't have Ash or a low budget it seems to act like it does and borrows multiple techniques and styles from the original, like they said it would. Some reviewers hate it for the fact that the female characters are "punished" more than their male counterparts. However, like in the original the female characters are the ones who punish the male counterparts. Eric is the example, yes he releases the spirit itself but he is also stabbed, jabbed, shot, and beaten multiple times which shows that karma is indeed working in the movie. It switches the roles and explains mostly everything.

By mostly everything I mean it lacks in the reasoning behind how the abomination is actually summoned. However, they did not explain how Evil Ash came to be in Army of Darkness either. It's just the work of some evil entity who wants to torture and kill some mortals to serve a dark purpose.
  30. Apr 7, 2013
    The new Evil Dead movie could be a litmus test for true fans of the horror genre. As Entertainment Weekly's review stated so well: the new Evil Dead is "the bloodiest, goriest, slapstickiest horror movie since, well, The Evil Dead."

Horror fans would grin or laugh gleefully at most of the goriest scenes because a) most are truly unique and different than what we've scene before, and b) we've seen EVERYTHING before. Anybody else would shut their eyes, grimace, flee the theater, or just wouldn't go.

And it's not that horror fans are gore junkies. Blood, gore and violence are irrelevant and tedious if it's not weaved into a captivating story with decent acting, great directing, and creative plotting.

And that's exactly what the new Evil Dead delivers. Most die-hard horror aficionados know the original Evil Dead by heart. To re-do the first and deliver a new and different version while staying within the bounds of the original is no easy task. But Fede Alvarez in his directorial debut knocks it out of the park. It strikes that fine balance between reverance to the original (with both overt and subtle references) and newness/uniqueness to keep us captivated and excited (and excitement is key as most of us are definitely looking for a cerebral adrenaline rush).

Just modernizing a classic with a bigger budget takes no creativity and falls into the tedium and redundancy which most horror fan's hate. Gus Van Sant's Psycho re-make, where nearly every scene is "copied exactly," is a perfect example of this. One word: BORING.

The last, great horror re-make was 2004's "Dawn of the Dead" which at the time was the best re-make since David Cronenberg's "The Fly" in 1986. That's why us horror fans are rejoicing to have a new movie to re-watch 10 times until the next good one.
  31. Apr 7, 2013
    Groovy. For Evil Dead fans, it's the perfect remake of the original. There are definitely scares that deliver, but if you're looking for a gore-fest though, welcome home. Also high recommendation to stay till the very end of the credits. To sum up this movie; Groovy.
  32. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SO LET DOWN ITS NOT GROOVY
    Well I'll start by saying I love the 81 version & Evil 2 and army I am super bias to old horror remakes I even liked the Friday 13th remake). I did expect alot going into the remake and me this was the most god awful excuse for an evil dead film like ever!! They never even say necronomican in the movie! Mia BTW Jane levey was the only OK thing about the movie) is possessed then cured? How? This possessions spread like zombie infection? You can just pull you arm off? This movie has only 2 things in common with the amazing original, the cabin & there book Worst remake let down in my life!!!!!
  33. Apr 7, 2013
    Everything that you expect from a real entertaining horror movie, you will find in Evil Dead. Evil Dead has everything in horror movies, it is a slasher movie, demons, gruesome, possessing, it is a pact of different genre of horror movies, the thing is, it never tops the original, and I wish it was scarier than it is, and it is not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, it isEverything that you expect from a real entertaining horror movie, you will find in Evil Dead. Evil Dead has everything in horror movies, it is a slasher movie, demons, gruesome, possessing, it is a pact of different genre of horror movies, the thing is, it never tops the original, and I wish it was scarier than it is, and it is not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, it is just a great horror movie. Expand
  34. Apr 7, 2013
    Though this may come off as faint praise to some, "Evil Dead" is one of the best horror remakes of the last decade. While not as good as the original, the film does enough right on it's own to make it a solid horror film. With an earthy color palette and thrillingly morbid score, it immerses the viewer into an atmosphere full of dread, tension, and claustrophobia. Most of theThough this may come off as faint praise to some, "Evil Dead" is one of the best horror remakes of the last decade. While not as good as the original, the film does enough right on it's own to make it a solid horror film. With an earthy color palette and thrillingly morbid score, it immerses the viewer into an atmosphere full of dread, tension, and claustrophobia. Most of the cinematography is beautiful, and some of the images displayed hit the primal fear nerve quite efficiently. The gore scenes are effectively tense and brutal in a way that isn't mean-spirited, and the practical effects are some of the best I've seen in a modern horror film. On the downside: some of the acting is rather weak, a couple of the characters are underdeveloped, and the editing is somewhat choppy at points. Though "Evil Dead" is not without it's flaws, I enjoyed it all the way through to it's thrilling and gleefully gory finale. Expand
  35. Apr 7, 2013
    A superior horror movie in all respects. Good acting, great gore, good pacing, and the trailers did not ruin the movie. Still showed a little too much in the trailers and the movie had a few unresolved plot points. But that is all the more reason for a sequel. The major critics panned this for the same reason why they pan all horror movies, personal preference. Don't expect Evil Dead 2 orA superior horror movie in all respects. Good acting, great gore, good pacing, and the trailers did not ruin the movie. Still showed a little too much in the trailers and the movie had a few unresolved plot points. But that is all the more reason for a sequel. The major critics panned this for the same reason why they pan all horror movies, personal preference. Don't expect Evil Dead 2 or Army of Darkness (both great films). The Evil Dead remake stands on its own and it rules. Cannot wait to see the unrated(possible) on Blu Ray. Expand
  36. Apr 7, 2013
    I'm giving this a 10 because it's probably one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time. Obviously it's not on the same playing field as the original Evil Dead... but it holds its own. It lacks the campiness which I did miss...

Some things that bugged me (spoilers): - characters not interesting, the backstory to the brother sister was snorring. Should have been a couple like

Some things that bugged me (spoilers):
    - characters not interesting, the backstory to the brother sister was snorring. Should have been a couple like the original. They tried to hard.
    - The Book of the Dead lacked a face... I understand to make it look more believable... but then the drawings on the inside looked too polished, and the red writing looked cheese-ball.
    - No atmospheric effects, or lacking much of it. Like the swing chair knocking on door, or woods-demon looking through windows. The horror build didn't exist like the original.
    - Burying his sister, digging her up, her face lacking the scars from the hot water scene, like her face was perfect.

Things I loved:
    - End scene with the chainsaw, how she slices the demon down the middle... the raining blood and the red wetness was reminiscent of The Descent.
    - Slipping on the cheek meat.
    - the actor who played the main character, she was great. Too bad the other actors weren't good like her.
    - Secret ending after credits.
    - Keeping with some camera styles.

The only other movie that I thought was a great horror movie that wasn't from the 70-80s was "The Girl" and "Insidious".
  37. Apr 6, 2013
    I absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember everI absolutely loved this movie! I was actually really skeptical at first, too. However, as the movie went on, I was pretty amazed. The gore is brutal, but it works. The filming is gorgeous, and so well done, and the execution of every seen was flawless. And did I mention the final 15 minutes? They were so damn good. And what really stands out, in my opinion, is that I cannot remember ever seeing a horror movie with even a decent final act, whilst Evil Dead's final act is probably the best in the entire movie. If you can sit back and let a movie do it's work, with minor flaws, then you will love this movie. This is truly a milestone in the horror movie genre. Expand
  38. Apr 6, 2013
    *posted on IMDB as well* When the remake of the 1981 horror classic "The Evil Dead" was announced in late 2011, fans of the series reacted, unsurprisingly, with revulsion. At the heart of their outrage lay a simple question: Why? How could a remake possibly improve upon the original? The first film's charm had much to do with its shoestring budget and utter lack of prestige. The cast and*posted on IMDB as well* When the remake of the 1981 horror classic "The Evil Dead" was announced in late 2011, fans of the series reacted, unsurprisingly, with revulsion. At the heart of their outrage lay a simple question: Why? How could a remake possibly improve upon the original? The first film's charm had much to do with its shoestring budget and utter lack of prestige. The cast and crew were a ragtag group of amateurs who essentially had no clue what they were doing. The filming process was notoriously unpleasant, requiring the team to live in a primitive log-cabin in the backwoods of Eastern Tennessee. It shouldn't have worked. And yet, when The Evil Dead hit theaters, it won over audiences across the world with its simplistic, clumsy charm and unique sense of humor--not to mention its pioneering camera work and brilliant practical effects. It paved the way for a decade of ultra-violent, low budget horror movies (either the best thing to happen to the genre or the worst, depending on who you're talking to.) Few products of the medium have ever enjoyed such influence.

Though a more technically advanced film, Fede Alvarez' 2013 remake--backed, disappointingly, by Raimi and Campbell themselves-- is as shoddy a production as the original, but without the charm and humor to redeem it. The fundamental problem with Alvarez' version (and Diablo Cody's reworking of the script) is that it approaches the material with ludicrous self seriousness, thus making itself vulnerable to more intense scrutiny, against which it has little hope of defense. The film begins promisingly enough, opening with a disturbing scene of father-daughter filicide, but immediately tumbles downhill when the meat of the plot (what little there is) is revealed. The premise is this: A group of five twenty-somethings treks out into the woods for a high school reunion/intervention, hoping to permanently cure Mia (Jane Levy) of her heroin addiction. They hole up in Mia and her brother David's (Shiloh Fernandez) decrepit family cottage and steel themselves for the worst of the withdrawal symptoms to set in. However, their priorities soon shift when Eric (Lou Taylor Pucci) discovers a copy of the Necronomicon in the basement (wrapped in barbed wire, bound in human skin, and with explicit admonishments written in bold red letters upon its pages) and recites the exact words the book warns him not to recite under any circumstance. With this incantation, a portal into the world of the dead and the damned is opened. What follows thereafter should, by all rights, be an entertaining, gory romp through the swamps. Instead, we are treated to seventy minutes of unrelenting stupidity and bad acting. The worst offender by far is the feebleminded David, our lackluster stand in for Bruce Campbell's Ash, who, for three quarters of the movie, simply can't get it through his thick skull that his sister has been possessed by a demon. He seems to think that telekinesis, dramatic drops in vocal pitch, and Linda Blair-esque neck twitches are typical symptoms of heroin withdrawal. His dimwitted attempts to contain the situation are extraordinarily frustrating to watch, as is the extreme gullibility of the other characters. How many times will these fools fall for the old "I'm not a demon!" trick? Make a drinking game out of it. You'll be wasted long before the final act.

Again, all of these transgressions would be more forgivable if the movie didn't take itself so dang seriously. But there's nary an amusing one-liner or a hint of self-awareness to get us through this study in tedium and banality. Even the violence is disappointing--or at least it failed to impress this seasoned genre enthusiast. Sure, there's a cool scene with a nail gun, and a few cringe inducing moments involving syringes, electric meat slicers, and boiling hot water, but it all feels a little been-there-done-that. Recent films that top Evil Dead in the gore department include Slither, Feast, Cabin Fever, Hostel, and High Tension, among others. Check those out instead.

Here's hoping the "Carrie" remake fares a little better.
  39. Apr 6, 2013
    Really a big letdown it's not really scary lot of blood .i would say its was more gory than scary You know what don't waste your time and money on this reboot.Had real bad experience watching it .In the whole movie there was not an single moment that kept me engaged in the whole movie
  40. Apr 6, 2013
    This movie was amazing. I'm a huge fan of the original Evil Dead series and I was really worried this remake would suck big time... but it doesn't. Stop looking up reviews for this movie and go see it right now.
  41. Apr 6, 2013
    This was simply an amazing movie. Plenty of blood and gore, great soundtrack, and it nailed the classic horror feel. The plot was very simple and sometimes corny which is why there's some hate, but you have to remember it's a remake of the 1981 movie. I'd highly recommend this movie to ANYONE. Don't listen to the hate. I'm probably going to go back and see this a few more times.
  42. Apr 6, 2013
    This is real Sam Raimi and Fede Alverez entertainment. Evil Deal is a remake of the 1981 horror classic and its way more better now with mind blowing special effects and good chilly scares! The story is good and the scares are nail bitingly good. The film has a point of its slashing gore 24/7 thing, it stands up for its horror and super gory concept! It's a GOOD movie. What else can youThis is real Sam Raimi and Fede Alverez entertainment. Evil Deal is a remake of the 1981 horror classic and its way more better now with mind blowing special effects and good chilly scares! The story is good and the scares are nail bitingly good. The film has a point of its slashing gore 24/7 thing, it stands up for its horror and super gory concept! It's a GOOD movie. What else can you expect from the team of Alverez and Raimi? Nothing but a good, chilly, horrific, gorefest! BloodyDisgusting.com is right about this film being seen once and getting or giving 10/10 entertainment stars! And I agree its a 10/10 entertainment movie! Expand
  43. Apr 6, 2013
    Likely not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, but probably the most fun you will have at a horror film in some time. It felt very Raimi-esque (especially the deadites) without copy and pasting his style, the spirit of the originals are alive and well. I don't understand the mentions of a lack of humor, this film is full of very funny moments but it takes all that happensLikely not the most terrifying film you will ever experience, but probably the most fun you will have at a horror film in some time. It felt very Raimi-esque (especially the deadites) without copy and pasting his style, the spirit of the originals are alive and well. I don't understand the mentions of a lack of humor, this film is full of very funny moments but it takes all that happens seriously.

Overall it was a great ride, and one I'm excited to take again
  44. Apr 6, 2013
    The is my first movie review ever. I'm making it because the the current Metascore of 58 seems like BS and doesn't reflect the quality of the movie whatsoever. No spoilers here, but I haven't watched the original so my opinion may not matter to a lot of you.

Essentially, this movie covers everything that a horror movie should accomplish loads of gore and suspense at every corner, as was promised via the red band trailer. The set up of the plot makes sense with how the story unfolded, but even then, it shouldn't consist of a deliberately retarded protagonist. It was honestly surreal and frustrating how stupid this guy was, almost to the point where I would consider him an antihero. Also, some of the acting was sub-par, but I guess it's not that much of a big deal in a horror movie. The plot wasn't predictable and had a minute number of twists, but at the same time it didn't blow me away and wasn't exactly thought provoking. Again, maybe this isn't a quality of horror movies in general anyway.

So that's pretty much it. Idiot protagonist, meh acting, and a semi-meh plot lead me to give this a 7/10. 8 seems too high, and 6 seems too offensive. I would love to watch this movie again though
  45. Apr 6, 2013
    I can gladly say that this is one of the few modern horror remakes that can actually be classified as horror. I will never understand why critics don't like this; they had the original director co-write the script, almost no CGI, and tons of nods to the first films. Some people just like to whine and whine about the original, but I say that this was a d@mn good film.
  46. Apr 6, 2013
    I was really excited for this movie as the original scared the hell out of me as a teen. However, it just didn't deliver in the "scare factor". Like most new horror movies,it relied too much on gore and not enough on suspense.
    It is very well made,and has a few creepy moments,but most reaction will be from cringing at the various injury scenes.
    Overall i was let down,it was just "ok" in my book.
  47. Apr 6, 2013
    This is by far the best horror movie i have ever seen. Its really, trully amazing, phenomenal, disgusting, terryfing and everything more in a whole pack. I Read some negative articles about the words the most terrifying film you will ever experience in the poster... Well, i guess people didn't understand what this sentence wants to transmit. This is a MASTERPIECE, you need to watch. ThisThis is by far the best horror movie i have ever seen. Its really, trully amazing, phenomenal, disgusting, terryfing and everything more in a whole pack. I Read some negative articles about the words the most terrifying film you will ever experience in the poster... Well, i guess people didn't understand what this sentence wants to transmit. This is a MASTERPIECE, you need to watch. This is the exorcist of the new generation, this is all we have ever wanted! Expand
  48. Apr 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Evil dead is is smart gory horrifying masterpiece that will not disappoint anybody who loves that genre from the beginning of the movie there is burning bodies and cursing in a demonic voice. The acting was good but the person who stood out is Mia played by Jane levy. This movie will have you cringing and jumping out of your skin I recommend this to anybody who likes a good scare. Expand
  49. Apr 5, 2013
    I haven't seen the original, but if it's anything like this (or better like I hear) it is number one on my to do list. This was engaging, darkly comedic and entertaining. Sure it had stupid characters and cliche scares, but what else do you expect at this point? It's a love letter to horror films and fans of the old films will not be disappointed.
  50. Apr 5, 2013
    Sure, it's gory. That's really about it. It;s a bit derivative a lot derivative), which most people will forgive saying it's a remake. There's hardly anything new, though some of the deaths are terribly brutal and violent. It's fun if you're into gore, but if you are looking for story look elsewhere.
  51. Apr 5, 2013
    It's an extraordinary remake of an extraordinary horror movie, it updates the original in almost every aspect and it delivers what is promises, and it uses gore extremely well like no one ever has, the gore here is used in such a way that it doesn't feel overused or repetitive, it has a meaning to it, the characters are updated as well and each one has a sense of personality of his own, iIt's an extraordinary remake of an extraordinary horror movie, it updates the original in almost every aspect and it delivers what is promises, and it uses gore extremely well like no one ever has, the gore here is used in such a way that it doesn't feel overused or repetitive, it has a meaning to it, the characters are updated as well and each one has a sense of personality of his own, i really enjoyed this flick and recommend it to any horror fan out there. Expand
  52. Apr 5, 2013
    The best horror remake ever has officially arrived. This movie demands multiple watches and is disgusting in the best possible way. Every thing is nailed perfectly. The violence is intense but kinda cheesy at the same time, the acting is solid (especially by Levy, who I recognize from "Shameless"), the pacing is absolutely perfect, and its really just an all around crowd pleaser. It evenThe best horror remake ever has officially arrived. This movie demands multiple watches and is disgusting in the best possible way. Every thing is nailed perfectly. The violence is intense but kinda cheesy at the same time, the acting is solid (especially by Levy, who I recognize from "Shameless"), the pacing is absolutely perfect, and its really just an all around crowd pleaser. It even got a standing ovation at the midnight screening I attended the night before it was released. Expand
  53. Apr 5, 2013
    I was hyped to see this movie for quite some time, but was disappointed at the overall outcome. This is a solid remake, but still rated way too high by most viewers. It has it's fair share of scares but nothing groundbreaking or innovative. I would suggest this for horror fans, since it delivers in presentation but lacks in story and wit. Although I must say, Mia (main character) sellsI was hyped to see this movie for quite some time, but was disappointed at the overall outcome. This is a solid remake, but still rated way too high by most viewers. It has it's fair share of scares but nothing groundbreaking or innovative. I would suggest this for horror fans, since it delivers in presentation but lacks in story and wit. Although I must say, Mia (main character) sells this movie compared to the rest of the cast which were quite lackluster in performance. Beginning is definitely the scariest, with many fillers throughout that I personally didn't think had the same feel. Without spoilers, there is one part that is SCARY AS HELL and gets really personal, which is mainly why I gave my overall rating 7/10. Good movie, just not great. Expand
  54. Apr 5, 2013
    I don't get the critics who are saying the humor is lost. The humor is certainly still present in this rendition. Beautiful graphic scenes, great camera work, and creepy. I thought the score was a bit cheesy, and I didn't care much for the new drug addict storyline, but who sees an Evil Dead movie for a great back story? It delivered the scares and violence I wanted to see. For a film thatI don't get the critics who are saying the humor is lost. The humor is certainly still present in this rendition. Beautiful graphic scenes, great camera work, and creepy. I thought the score was a bit cheesy, and I didn't care much for the new drug addict storyline, but who sees an Evil Dead movie for a great back story? It delivered the scares and violence I wanted to see. For a film that could have easily failed this was a very pleasant surprise. Expand
  55. Apr 5, 2013
    What did you expect when you first came in to see this movie? I came in thinking it was another remake of a horror movie that would be generic, with only a lot of gore to make it look better. I can honestly say I was wrong! This was a really good horror movie. The best horror movie I've seen in a long while. The story and some of the actions by the actors in the movie were kind ofWhat did you expect when you first came in to see this movie? I came in thinking it was another remake of a horror movie that would be generic, with only a lot of gore to make it look better. I can honestly say I was wrong! This was a really good horror movie. The best horror movie I've seen in a long while. The story and some of the actions by the actors in the movie were kind of formulated horror movie norm. It was extremely gory way gorier than modern day "Slasher" films. And that added a dimension to the film that was entertaining. I applaud everybody involved in this film for the hard work to make this a somewhat believable and fun horror movie. Although it lacked in some places, and the scare tactic lacked greatly, it was incredibly fun to watch unfold minus the downsides. Expand
  56. Apr 5, 2013
    I have seen the original and loved it. I watched this remake and loved it just as much. I got exactly what I expected from the film: absolute grotesquery and violent carnage. I understand why those who loved the original would not like this one (obviously the original is a classic without compare), but I believe that the remake has done exceptionally well, compared to other horror remakes.I have seen the original and loved it. I watched this remake and loved it just as much. I got exactly what I expected from the film: absolute grotesquery and violent carnage. I understand why those who loved the original would not like this one (obviously the original is a classic without compare), but I believe that the remake has done exceptionally well, compared to other horror remakes. I recommend Evil Dead to those who wish to enjoy a hour and a half of absolute brutality and blood lust! --9/10 Expand
  57. Apr 5, 2013
    The most fun I've had at a horror film in years.
  58. Apr 5, 2013
    A masterpiece of terror, not so perfect, but good movie.
  59. Apr 5, 2013
    This remake of the 1981 classic really delivers. It's very entertaining in a scary sense and in a gory sense. The only real problem about this movie is that it's too short. An amazing horror thriller like this should be at least 2 hours long. Not 91 minutes. Just too short. Overall, it's a scary/gory good time you'll have at the movies this year.
  60. Apr 5, 2013
    Horror movies now-a-days need to take notes from this movie. Not only does it take source material from an original horror masterpiece. But it throws in something that makes it its own. Without much CGI this movie accomplishes so much and it's mind blowing just to watch. Being that it is Evil Dead it does get relentless. But because it is Evil Dead that is obvious. Sometimes when you areHorror movies now-a-days need to take notes from this movie. Not only does it take source material from an original horror masterpiece. But it throws in something that makes it its own. Without much CGI this movie accomplishes so much and it's mind blowing just to watch. Being that it is Evil Dead it does get relentless. But because it is Evil Dead that is obvious. Sometimes when you are watching this movie you realize that there is magic on the screen. Now I seem to be very vague yes, but. It is hard to describe just how well this movie is made. It doesn't try to cheep out and jump scare the audience every 2 seconds. And it doesn't try to be so deep and serious either. I even found myself laughing at the movie when the things on screen were horrible. (Not in a bad way but in a face being ripped off and bloody way) Now there is some things that are a bit wrong with this movie that make it not as memorable as the classic. Mostly that it seems too clean. Odd, yes, how a movie this gross can be clean but if you think about how dark and scummy the original one looks, and then how slick and smooth this one was, you can see what I mean. But that is really the only thing bad that I can say about it. And for those of you who think this is bad because of the horrible stuff in it, then you are obviously not the people this movie was made for. So my final verdict. 8/10 Expand
  61. Apr 5, 2013
    What can I say about this other than it's amazing? It's everything you want in a horror film. It's bloody, gory, and disgusting all in a good way. It never fails to keep a creepy time to it throughout the film. It all looks just so realistic too. There's no CGI. Only practical effects which makes it 10 times better. I'll probably see this movie 3 more times while it's in theaters
  62. Apr 5, 2013
    In short; Great, great film. The full version...
    This is a great film but should not have been labelled as a "remake". Bruce Campbell tried to stress this as "a new vision" which is the best way to view this.
    In short; Great, great film. The full version...
    The people who are dogging this too much are trying say "it was boring" or "didn't live up to the original". But in my opinion, you have to think that it's The Evil Dead with the budget Sam Raimi hoped for.
    This is the closest thing I can imagine that Sam and Bruce would have called the original script.
    Well done. Excellent movie. If you're a fan of horror movies at all, you must go see this.
  63. Apr 5, 2013
    This movie is phenomenal. Everyones all blah blah blah the original is better but i dont agree. This movie looks realistic whereas the first one was fake as hell. I watched the original recently and thought it was great til the claymation wrecks it. I love Bruce but I really dont think he came into his own until part 2 which was bittersweet because it was nowhere as scary as the first butThis movie is phenomenal. Everyones all blah blah blah the original is better but i dont agree. This movie looks realistic whereas the first one was fake as hell. I watched the original recently and thought it was great til the claymation wrecks it. I love Bruce but I really dont think he came into his own until part 2 which was bittersweet because it was nowhere as scary as the first but if you watch it for Mr Campbells comedic performance its a blast (WHO'S LAUGHING NOOWW!) In conclusion I will just say Evil Dead 2013 is a gem for lovers of the horror genre so go see it! Expand
  64. Apr 5, 2013
    this movie simply will not let you down. if you like horror movies you will be in heaven. if i could say anything bad about it, its that they showed a little too much in the "red band" trailers.
  65. Apr 5, 2013
    Great movie, its one of the few "scary movies" out there now that is actually scary. it also full of nods to the old series and is incredibly enjoyable even if you don't know anything about the series. I highly recommend this movie for anyone who enjoys horror, gore, or is a fan of the old movies.
  66. Apr 5, 2013
    First off, if you're a fan of the original series, stay to the VERY end of the credits. I enjoyed the movie contrary to public opinion, there is humor in it, just not nearly as much as the originals. And it's not as charming. Tons of graphic violence, mutilation, and gore, but you don't feel for the characters as much as I'd have liked. It's almost a tribute to the original with theFirst off, if you're a fan of the original series, stay to the VERY end of the credits. I enjoyed the movie contrary to public opinion, there is humor in it, just not nearly as much as the originals. And it's not as charming. Tons of graphic violence, mutilation, and gore, but you don't feel for the characters as much as I'd have liked. It's almost a tribute to the original with the new treatment of the Necromicon and the "quick" camera through the forest. In 10 years, if I had my pick of this film or the original, it's an easy decision. Gotta go with Raimi and Bruce Campbell. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Nigel Floyd
    Apr 29, 2013
    Despite much old-school splatter, it’s seldom frightening and oddly unfunny.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Apr 19, 2013
    It is nowhere near as creepy as the recent indie horror "V/H/S," but it is a full-bloodedly grisly and macabre film that zaps over a few scares.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Apr 15, 2013
    Closer to Eli Roth than Sam Raimi, this brutal retread combines J-horror atmospherics with torture-porn kills. It’s more evisceration than invention but at least has the courage of its bloody-minded convictions.