5.8

1. Jan 24, 2012
    This is all I know. 'The worst day' has been portrayed in a multitude of ways on film. 'Extremely Loud' touches a nerve that none of the others on the subject do.
    This is a roller coaster ride that moves with an intense grace and profound intellect. This film is smart and grabs the heart with fearless verve.The journey is often uncomfortable, just as it should be.
    Young Thomas Horn
    conducts the concert with nervous passion that is countered by Von Sydows silent vibrancy.
    Each is truly brilliant as is the enigmatic screenplay.
    Hanks, Bullock, Viola Davis and Jeffrey Wright keep the ship sailing through uncharted air space.
    I am astounded by the many negatives that have been sounded regarding this film.
    It is a brave testament that will gain attention due to it's Oscar nomination.
    I am no fan of that little statue and the politics it services in the name of art.
    But should the program drive people to see films such as this, it provides a valiant artistic service.
    In a world of 'Bridesmaids' , thank the Angels of cinema who dare to provide such soul searing observations within a culture that is creeping toward a deficit of daring.
  2. Apr 15, 2012
    This is the most touching movie i have ever seen. It's hard to find a more moving film than this. I simply do not understand all the negative reviews about this. This is definitely a must see!
  3. Mar 29, 2012
    If there is a single criticism of this film that has any merit is that the piece might be a bit long. The problem is however what do you cut when telling the story? There really isn't much waste in the film when you reach the conclusion of the journey and realize completely the road you've traveled. The surprise is the understanding that is revealed in the last few minutes of the film that one is continually wondering about through the entire picture. Max Von Sydow gives a lesson in performance that mirrors the performance of Falconetti in the great silent film about the trial of Joan of Arc. Sydow's silent performance is etched in every line and crevice of his face and with each diverted glance of his eyes. He is perfect. Sandra Bullock acquits herself brilliantly. She is as troubled as her son and when the time comes is as revealing as Max Von Sydow's face. Viola Davis once again turns in a superb performance along with Jeffrey Wright. Daldry uses New York City as his landscape and paints the details resoundingly. And yes the pivotal piece of the film is 9/11 but only that 9/11 was the catalyst to the story that evolves and not the story itself. Critics and Bloggers made this piece more about 9/11 than it really was and managed to kill the audience for the piece. Expand
  4. Dec 26, 2011
    I am seriously disappointed by alot of the critics on this one. This movie was gripping, well acted, well directed and very entertaining. Go Tom Hanks!!
  5. Jan 20, 2012
    Cannot say enough good things about this film. It is full of emotion both heavy and happy. The struggle of Oskar and what he is dealing with was a wonderful journey on the screen. Loved the payoff at the end.
  6. Jan 12, 2012
    Thomas Horn is brilliant beyond description. The movie has Stephen Daldry written all over it. The screeplay is crafted in a fashion that has one sitting on the edge of the chair with emotions. If Thomas Horn doesn't win the Oscar for playing Oskar, something is bad wrong. Horn's crafty facial expressions and his use of voice along with the emotional looks that he displays cannot be described. Just simply an amazing job by someone so young. Expand
  7. Feb 21, 2012
    I loved this film! It was a tad slow until Max von Sydow entered. He would have been a great in the silent film era. I got very emotional watching the story play out. The ending was enjoyable too.
  8. Aug 25, 2012
    Extremely GOOD and Incredibly IGNORED by the critics and people. I really liked it and think the Academy did a good job nominating this film when other awards shows just went with the "popular good movies".
  9. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie made me tear up. This is such a sad film, but it's such an outstanding film. Anything with Tom Hanks, except for Larry Crowne, is good. A movie that'll make you feel for poor young boy whose father dies in 9/11. Expand
  10. Sep 28, 2013
    Some may say the emotion is sappy, but that's just because what you would expect from a movie like this. The story is something we all feel for on a national level, and we sympathize with all who were effected by it. The movie really makes you feel for the characters and the emotion is real. The way the story presents itself and the little quirky things Oskar does will probably make some of us cry by the end. Well done. Expand
  11. Apr 9, 2012
    The film is based on a timely and touchy subject - 9/11. However, it is approached beautifully with a young, gifted boy grieving over the loss of his father as a metaphor for a city dealing with a significant tragedy. This film is riveting and will emotionally rock you - it's also one of the most heartfelt and intelligent films of the year. The bad reviews of this film are missing the point.
  12. Mar 7, 2012
    An emotional film that delivers in almost every way. I became so wrapped in the life of this little boy that i found myself weeping throughout its many powerful scenes. The only thing i could see that could be criticised is the lack of connection in the end between the key and the rest of the theme. Also many critics have also said the story does not do the victims of 911 justice.I believe this is completely false the film deals with grief in an uplifting way and it shows this through the life of oskar. I cannot believe that such an emotional powerhouse of a film was not received well by critics. I often agree with ebert but not at all on this film. The most underated film of the year Expand

1. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Feb 13, 2012
    It's just too tempting to dismiss it as extremely long and incredibly disappointing. It's challenging, divisive and has moments of beauty but leaves you cold.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Jan 21, 2012
    This precious story line, adapted from a novel by Jonathan Safran Foer, keeps shriveling up against the backdrop of a traumatized city; only gaunt Max von Sydow, as a mute old man who accompanies the young hero on his rounds, supplies the grave authority the premise demands.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jan 20, 2012
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is supposed to promote healing, but as they say in New York: close, but no cigar.