8.0

1. Aug 27, 2010
    "Eyes Wide Shut" is one of those movies that reaffirms the study of film - it's a masterpiece that gets better with every viewing; if you didn't like it the first time, watch it again and you're bound to find something new.
  2. Oct 23, 2010
    Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut is a deeply profound film that blankets reality with eroticism like a dark glaucoma of the mind and is the closing of perhaps a perfect filmography of an old master always trying to change the form.
  3. JLO
    Nov 22, 2010
    El director de solo obras maestras se salió con la suya de nuevo. Su última obra lo encontró tan genial, hosco y detallista como siempre. Las actuaciones también fueron obra suya. Salud KubricK!
  4. May 6, 2012
    Eyes Wide Shut is impressive cinematic work. Maybe it's not Kubrick's masterpiece but the its two lead has a charm, especially the conversation between them on the bed. **** Probably but everything is there.
  5. Sep 26, 2011
    Ever wonder what the real drama? what a drama movie? Eyes Wide Shut is the perfect example of drama, fear, obsession, passion, etc. Perhaps as the movie progresses you are wondering, what does this have to do? but this is one of those films that eventually will show that every action has a reaction
  6. Nov 25, 2013
    I love this movie. The more you watch it the more you see/learn and reveal. You have to study about it and re-watch it. At face value, most people may not "get it" or recognize the subtleties or symbology and dialogue. It's a master work and Kubrick is an amazing director. When his movies are on, you just know it's "Kubrick". This is one of those dozen or so movies, I can't take my eyes off if I flip channels and find it playing (Kubrick's other movies are on that list too: 2001, The shining, etc). There are so many messages in the movie and subplots, you just have to study it, watch it, pause video to read the signs throughout the movie and discover all the other hidden messages within that Kubrick painstakingly put in there for the viewer to see.
    I "liked" it in the theater...more for the fantasy, imagery, music and cinematography, but the more I learn about it, the more I love it. Same things can be said for "The Shining" and others. I hated "A clockwork Orange", but have since come to enjoy it after further viewings. None are movies you can fully take at face value.
  7. Jan 19, 2014
    This movie is a bold expose of the Satanic secret societies of the uber-wealthy in the United States. To find out the story behind this movie, start researching; bohemian grove, bilderberg group, house of rothschild, Skull & Bones, freemasons.
    To give you an example of how exclusive these Satanic societies are, just remember that in the movie, Harford was an M.D. and even he was nowhere
    near the level of these others. Poolroom scene: Victor: "I couldn't even BEGIN to figure out how you had ever even HEARD of us.., let alone have the password..."
    The scenes depicted and described by Kubick are very real. The "security measures" and protocols are much more strict than suggested when one female member is apparently killed in compensation for Harford's intrusion, but the scene made for good theatre. Of course, an "outsider", like Nick, would never have been allowed anywhere near one of these groups, but again, it was a clever theatrical portal into the activities of the group.
    After Harford walks through the halls and rooms of the mansion, he is commanded to "...never tell anyone what he has seen". This suggests something very illegal and very taboo. Here, we are talking about the pedophilic Satanic underground of the Zionist-controlled, globalist, multi-national corporation heads: Pool room scene: Victor: "If you knew their names, and I'm not going to give you their names, you wouldn't sleep very well at night..." These activities also involve breeding, slavery, human trafficking and human sacrifice.
    Kubric was probably well-aware that he was stepping on some toes by writing, producing and directing this film. Those types of groups alluded to in the film were probably quite aware of the project before its completing, as well, because much of the entertainment industry is owned by large, multi-national corporations. The scene(s) at the costume-fitters shop (with the under-age female being prostituted) were a deft allusion to what Hanford saw on his walking tour of the mansion.
    A bold and important film, and one that Kubrick may have lost his life over: he died of a "heart attack" after showing the final-cut movie once: To the main actors at a private exhibition.
    Personally, I think Cruise's (and Kidman's) acting was perfect. Hanford's integrity, moderation and logic was a cool counterpoint to the thick and ominous intrigue that increasingly threatened him and his world.

1. Makes its strongest impression not with dialogue but with virtuoso visual work…. when you work with Kubrick, it's always the director, never the actors, who is the real star. That can lead a film up or down or, as it does here, in both directions at the same time. [16 July 1999, Calendar, p.F-1]
  2. This is a remarkably gripping, suggestive, and inventive piece of storytelling that, like Kubrick's other work, is likely to grow in mystery and intensity over time.
  3. Totally absorbing even when it, too, strays.