Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) | Release Date: December 29, 2006
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 31 Ratings
WATCH NOW
PeerP.Oct 18, 2007
Not bad (as it was made out to be), great performances on the part of Sienna Miller (as Edie Sedgwick) and Guy Pearce (as Andy Warhol), the story was poorly adapted and conceived but as a character study (studies) it is great
1 of 1 users found this helpful
[Anonymous]Jun 19, 2007
I loved this movie - Sienna Miller and Guy Pearce did fantastic jobs of portraying Edie and Andy - it might not be perfect, but so what??? Perhaps it doesn't portray Andy or Edie completely realistic, so go read some books and see some I loved this movie - Sienna Miller and Guy Pearce did fantastic jobs of portraying Edie and Andy - it might not be perfect, but so what??? Perhaps it doesn't portray Andy or Edie completely realistic, so go read some books and see some movies. This is just a glimpse into that world and the actors did fantastically well on their characters at least. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
OmarCamachoJan 20, 2007
I love this movie.
MattK.Feb 4, 2007
I think it is pretty powerfull. I know many a current "factory girl" and I wish they'd see this movie and wake up.
OmarCamachoFeb 7, 2007
I love this movie.
RickS.Aug 29, 2007
Edie is such a wretched and vapid human being, this mind numbing biopic makes me loathe this pop art culture even more. It's a shame to waste Guy Pearce's solid portrayal of Andy Warhol.
MarkK.Sep 3, 2007
Disappointing. Another movie where the main character is lured into a glitzy underworld, only to regret it and try to escape. Ho, hum. The saving grace is the beauty Sienna Miller, but she could only do so much.
MikeO.Jan 1, 2007
The acting is decent, the story is kind of a mess. In the end, it doesn't really add up to much. Catch it on DVD.
RogerT.Jan 2, 2007
Thought is was pretty darn entertaining. Sienna Miller was incredible.
NatalieR.Jan 31, 2007
I had such high hopes for this movie, but it fails to capture.
CalK.Jan 30, 2007
Sienna acts her butt off but cannot save this film. It is pitifully written and the editing is even worse. At least Miller comes out unscathed. Rent it, if you are brave enough to sit through it!
ScottA.Mar 12, 2007
I saw this movie a month ago and loved it. Im surprised to see all of the negative reviews. If you liked The Doors and Wonderland than will like this movie. Maybe I'm just a sucker for movies that involve drugs, sex, greed, vanity, I saw this movie a month ago and loved it. Im surprised to see all of the negative reviews. If you liked The Doors and Wonderland than will like this movie. Maybe I'm just a sucker for movies that involve drugs, sex, greed, vanity, fame, power, envy and jealousy. Expand
BlancoA.Feb 16, 2007
What a heartbreaking film. Sienna Miller is breathtaking in this piece... I don't think I'll be able to get her performance out of my head for days.
EnriqueFeb 27, 2007
A good biopic.
NicoDaFlagburnaDec 18, 2010
This film is so pretentious I can feel Andy Warhol awkwardly turning in his grave. This serious attempt to expose the abuse of love plays like a preschool playground romance. It is shallow and of little value to those who can remember the 60sThis film is so pretentious I can feel Andy Warhol awkwardly turning in his grave. This serious attempt to expose the abuse of love plays like a preschool playground romance. It is shallow and of little value to those who can remember the 60s or the MTV generation. It's appeal is representative of glamour and on the surface is enjoyable as a caricature of history. Despite strong casting the illusion of performance is evidence of style over substance. Hickenlooper exploits the memory of Warhol and Sedgwick and disrespects art in the process. Expand
dierregiMar 16, 2014
I never believed that Sienna Miller was a “real” actress but she actually managed quite well in Factory Girl. I am not sure if it is because she can act or just because – having been an IT girl herself - she identified with Edie Sedgwick, theI never believed that Sienna Miller was a “real” actress but she actually managed quite well in Factory Girl. I am not sure if it is because she can act or just because – having been an IT girl herself - she identified with Edie Sedgwick, the IT girl of the 60s. Whichever way, it worked out.

Based on the real story of Sedgwick, we follow her from her art studies to the world of the Factory, where an exploitative Warhol is ready to take advantage of her beauty and connections to get a hold to the upper class of New York. It is not clear what Edie’s talent was, as she was a mediocre actress and modeled very little, but talent was not a requirement for Warhol’s superstars.

Warhol was a complex figure, perhaps a great artist or just an able manipulator, but his unpleasant nature is no secret. He had an adoring gang of “superstars” and would be artists, working for him in the Factory (probably the most pretentious art lab of the time). In the movie we see how he liked to pick the next “superstar”, to replace the previous one he grew bored with. The script suggests Sedgwick was replaced by Nico (who undoubtedly was a more complex and interesting woman).

More controversy is added by the mystery love story with Dylan (which might or not have happened, but is denied by Dylan). According to the script, Edie interest (even love?) for Dylan was another reason why the jealous Warhol dropped her. Not being able to have her undivided attention, not her money – since her father cut her of her inheritance – Edie was dropped by Warhol to deal alone with her addictions.

Luckily the script does not even try to make the audience feel sorry for poor little rich girl Edie. Coming for old money, she had a difficult relationship with her father and tragedy struck early in her life with the suicide of her brother. However, her problems were compounded by her self-destructive nature and her Factory experience contributed only to send her down faster, where she probably would have ended anyway.