tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 1 more rating

1. Jun 10, 2014
    Revival cinema done right - I like this flick because it plays like a rarity in today's film world. It's an authentic homage to a past era in cinema minus the "remember when" irony that usually leads retro movies. While its certainly not the most moving story, it does create a sense of escapism. The look, dialogue, and acting style definitely nails the old school. Film buffs willRevival cinema done right - I like this flick because it plays like a rarity in today's film world. It's an authentic homage to a past era in cinema minus the "remember when" irony that usually leads retro movies. While its certainly not the most moving story, it does create a sense of escapism. The look, dialogue, and acting style definitely nails the old school. Film buffs will appreciate this aspect, while others just seeking beautiful landscapes, horses, ranch life, and western Americana will be appeased. Expand
  2. Jul 2, 2014
    It's a light drama pulled from the recent past. Not too subtle, but the
    movie stays honest. I haven't seen anything like this since Dallas,
    Alf, and Little House on the Prairie were on TV. It's kitsch - some people get that and some people don't. It comes across like a simple film, but I think it takes a sophisticated viewer to understand the point. It was fun seeing Martin Kove again
    It's a light drama pulled from the recent past. Not too subtle, but the
    movie stays honest. I haven't seen anything like this since Dallas,
    Alf, and Little House on the Prairie were on TV. It's kitsch - some
    people get that and some people don't. It comes across like a simple
    film, but I think it takes a sophisticated viewer to understand the
    point. It was fun seeing Martin Kove again in a movie (the sweep the
    leg guy from Karate Kid). Gabriel Sunday was really funny, but I
    wouldn't say it's a "Caddyshack" comedy but these guys get goofy. Dare I
    say cartoon-like? That was the style of a lot of great eighties movies.
    Falcon Song finds something new in something old lol. I enjoyed it.
    Cool poster - feels like the film!
  3. Aug 13, 2014
    This film stands out to me because of the successful creation of a storybook world. It seems to cut all ties from modern references in its plight to give us something nostalgic, yet entirely new. It's glossed over in a subtle way, almost like the memories of a 80's pop culture junkie, but WITHOUT any pop culture references. Falcon Song is not self aware, yet true to its cinematic heritage.This film stands out to me because of the successful creation of a storybook world. It seems to cut all ties from modern references in its plight to give us something nostalgic, yet entirely new. It's glossed over in a subtle way, almost like the memories of a 80's pop culture junkie, but WITHOUT any pop culture references. Falcon Song is not self aware, yet true to its cinematic heritage. This may be the film's strongest feature.

Gabriel Sunday is an explosive talent and his performance seems to charge each scene with a natural magnetism. Rainey Qualley plays it down, delivering a great opposite to Sunday and maintains this special balance as a girl with suppressed passions. Martin Kove seems to dig deeper into his character than many of his recent roles, including a humorous nod to 1930's Erol Flynn in the quirky finale. James Storm has a commanding presence and subtlety in his delivery that is solid as a rock.

The movie makes a valiant attempt at reviving a lost style. While clearly low budget, the vision is strong and true, despite its several shortcomings in the writing. Falcon Song throws away the crutches often utilized by artists in the independent arena. For this, I am left with a positive impression.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Reviewed by: Sheri Linden
    Mar 20, 2014
    With its developers-versus-ranchers intrigue and touches of magic realism, the movie ends up playing like a mild-tempered oddity.