8.0

1. Jan 8, 2011
    Fallen Man

I really love this movie, this film is one of my personal favorate top 50 movies, and the reason why is because in a way it's not just satirical on our current society but it's sort of a dark mirror on what dark thoughts we repress everyday, that occasionally creep up on the back of our minds whether we want to admit to it or not. And we never act upon them because it would be
    deemed wrong even though it would feel so right.

This is my favorite performance of one of my favorite actors Michael Douglas, the Bill Foster character is sort of like a mix of comic strip character Dilbert and Rambo. This character I couldn't help but feel a sense of pathos for because his character as we see is angry and frustrated but he is emotionally broken, due to being down on his luck and separated from his family. From one good camera shot where he sees the city though the hole of his shoe and then covers it with circled want ads, it really tells you a lot about his character and current psyche. But he is also aware and ashamed at himself knowing he has some emotional problem, one scene he is watching a family video but then something happens where Bill get's a bit angry in the video, Bill then has a sad look on his face.

But most of all I really like the actions this character takes which I think are awesome and blackly funny because there is a truth to them as well as the situations his in, which makes us emphasize with Bill's actions and feelings more. In a way it's similar to the film "After Hours" because Bill is practically in one crazy predicament after another, makes you wonder if the world is crazier than Bill. I don't want to reveal all of them you have to see them for yourself to enjoy them. But one favorite moment despite kinda dark is the golf course scene where he encounters a butt face golfer that wants him off the course. I hate people like that, that golfer is one of those people that stick their noses up and look down on people, practically think their own farts smell like roses. I really don't understand the prejudice against people of a lower class then them, but also for some weird reason I can't explain they act childish, that golfer kept saying this is my golf course though I bet it's not. What the hell was the golfer's problem with Bill, what that Bill was going to dirty the grass or something, the prejudice against guys like Bill and us is just pathetic. But of course Bill teaches the golfer a lesson and I really like that monologue Bill delivers.

I really have no problems with the film even though my minor complaint I'll admit I don't really like how Bill's ex wife and mom drew him out. It didn't really feel like they assumptions were for the same character but some other character from some other suspense thriller, it's kinda that same problem with comic book antihero "Deadpool's" origins. I don't know it could just be me on this matter it's just I really like the Bill character and on his side, so sometimes what you don't say about a character is better.

The everyday world can indeed be a insane place.
  2. Jan 6, 2013
    One of the most underrated films, both by critics and audience. The critic that gave this film the best review, Mick LaSalle, said that "a film too good and too original to win any Oscars but one bound to be remembered in years to come as a true and ironic statement about life in our time" - which is exactly what happened.
  3. Apr 10, 2013
    What is wrong with the critics? They must be the old guys on the golf course scene! This is a Classic movie! I have have watched it over and over and over and over again, this movie never gets old. A whole lot of dark laughs! The character does a lot of things a normal person only wishes they had the guts to do, after putting up with all the crap you face in life.It`s so good I got the DVD today.

D-FENS is a cut-out, a cartoon Everyman we're supposed to feel sorry for and can't. He's a bad parody in what will doubtless be an over-analyzed film about loss of control. It's just too bad nobody on the creative end seems to have had much control either.
    Falling Down does a good job of representing a real feeling in our society today. It would be a shame if it is seen only on a superficial level.
    Sure, the viewer who wants to see a tightly-paced thriller with gun-play and emotionally-satisfying moments won't be disappointed, but there is a little more here than simple escapism. Although it takes a number of wrong turns, Falling Down still has the power to disturb.