8.2

1. Sep 30, 2011
    The Coen Brothers presents "Fargo" not as a movie; they present it as a extreme state of art, a art that conveys silence and enlightenment altogether. If you are one of those people who really understand movies, this one's definitely for you.
  2. Jul 6, 2011
    This movie won two Oscars...it must have been a bad year at the movies. The movie never can decide if it wants to be a comedy or a thriller. Dorky cops, quirky characters that seem to have escaped from a slapstick flick, yet a brutal killer is at work, too. It doesn't go together. It's never funny, never believable, never exciting. In short, a waste of time.
  3. Aug 30, 2010
    Sometimes the humour is so dark, we wonder if we're supposed to be laughing but I gotta say, it's without doubt in my top 25 of all time. Very, very re-watchable and with magnificent performances from Steve buschemi, William Macy and Frances Mcdormand. It set the standard high for Joel and Ethan and except for one disappointing 2004 slip up they have succeeded in meeting it everytime. Be warned however the film is incredibly bloody but if not squeamish (there's one particularly visceral moment) this is a hilarious, smart, perfect comedy that taught me how depraved my humour really was! Seriously everything about this movie is brilliant! Expand
  4. Dec 30, 2011
    Fargo is not thrilling nor is it funny nor is it great. The Coen brothers film lack's suspense because most of the story is layed out for the viewer. The character's are all jerks except for Marge who is slightly annoying and stupid. Many people will say im not respecting the art that is put into Fargo but I just don't see it. The film's simplicity does not go to it's advantage because it does not give the viewer anything special about it. In the end Fargo is a crime comedy that is average with it's crime story and is a film that is not very funny. Expand
  5. Aug 20, 2010
    Having lived in the city of Fargo from 1998 to 2009, I can tell you a fair amount of people there don't like this movie. I, however, think it's great. Of course, most anything directed by the Cohen brothers will be good. And Steve Buscemi makes any movie even better.
  6. Sep 2, 2010
    Definitely not the worst film - but my least favourite film of the Coens, I was bored with the plot and it tried to be a dark comedy, but it was just dark. Frances McDormand is cute as Marge but she gives a very plain performance if you ask me. But watch this for Peter Stormare's disposing of the body technique. That's it.
  7. Jan 6, 2011
    fantastic film very good would highly reccomend i was speachless at the ending of it people who gave it negative should really watch it again and see it for its true beauty
  8. Jan 7, 2011
    Since Minnesota is the star of this film, an undiscovered cinematic landscape, expectations as an audience will be understated as a new frontier is established. The premise is noir-ish, a slick crime caper with twists, and the Coen's batter you with their isolated sense of belonging where character is not representative of action. Kind hearted men make mistakes, arrogant patriarchs are heroic and women are almost childlike. These examples build a topsy-turvy world where the stability of the wintry environment is redemptive and though not able to offer peace, it incubates life. Behind an implicit sense of humour that is never exploited is the warm tale of a cold world where beauty is detached from humanity. Possibly one of the greatest achievements in cinema to date. 100/100 Expand
  9. Mar 2, 2011
    Very gruesome and that was with seeing it on TV. However, a great black comedy. When it was funny, it was funny. The acting was superb. The setting great. Directing outstanding. It was the violence that had me put it at an 8. That's just the way I am even though it was integral to the movie.
  10. Jun 1, 2011
    When I first heard of Fargo, I thought from all these reviews that it was a comedy. When I read the genre, it told me it was a crime-thriller. And before I watched it on Epix, I learned it was a dark comedy. Then I thought I was gonna hate this movie, for the film "A Serious Man" was a dark-comedy and was also directed by the Coen brothers, was a complete and utter failure to me. But I soon came to realize something during the film; this movie is amazing. It started as a comedy, in which the laughs were very dark and enjoyable, then grew into a problematic drama, which grew into a crime film, and then quickly into a thriller. All the genres that I expected were in the film, but never was my first thought about it. Fargo is a film that surprised me completely. Winning two academy awards (Best Actress and Best Original Screenplay), Fargo is an exciting adventure to watch. Based in small cities of Minnesota, Fargo is about a car salesman who tries to buy an investment on a parking lot. He needs money, so he decides to hire two thugs to kidnap his wife and ask for ransom from her father (who is extremely wealthy) so he can get the money to invest. But not all goes as planned, and murder, lying, robbery, and much more occur in the events that happen afterwards. Joel and Ethan always seem to make me happy (besides "A Serious Man"), and not many directors can do that. The Acting was very well done, and I disagree with the Academy at not giving William H. Macy a nomination for Best Lead Actor, and not giving him a win for Best Supporting Actor. I believe his acting was more better than Francis McDormand, although she also did deserve her win. Steve Beschumi also played his part as a villain well, as he always does. The Cinematography of this film was good. But I am also upset with the Academy for not giving this film a nomination for the score, which was excellent. It was perfect for the film, and fit the scenes well. If I heard this score again, I'd know it was from Fargo. The film really revolves around the characters alot in the film, and I give much respect for the film. The different character's lives and feelings were depicted in a very different way, with scenes that just brought happiness, terror, or humor to the eyes of the character's, and the audiences. But, there were little parts in the film that I didn't like, starting with some unnecessary scenes. There were amounts of sex in the film which didn't need to be there, and some scenes that didn't make any sense. And then there was the fact that the police officer was pregnant, which brought a few laughs to the film, but no actual meaning to the plot. That's really all. All in all, this was a film that should be viewed by any happy, mature audience, and should be praised highly by everyone. Expand
  11. Aug 28, 2011
    If someone dares to say that Fargo is not one of the greatest films of all time, promptly slap them over the head, walk into the nearest hunting supplies store, return with an axe, chop the nay-sayer in half, and feed the corpse into a wood chipper. If that seems too harsh, you don't get Fargo.
  12. Aug 5, 2013
    Something which can apply to pretty much every Coen brothers film, there is nothing else quite like them out there, they have the wits of any clever drama, the dark humour of any black comedy and the gore and suspense of any thriller or horror flick, but the difference here is they are rolled into one, and Fargo is no different, the latest and one of the greatest from the two imaginative brothers. Also, with these two comes a cast brimming with talent and versatile performances, especially from Frances McDormand, who puts in an Oscar-winning performance as cheerful yet inquisitive police chief Marge Gunderson, who is on the trail of two cons who have been hired by an in over his head salesman trying to rid himself of debts by collecting ransom money for his wife, but a series of mishaps and deaths put a whole different spin on a straightforward tale of fraud.
    William H. Macy plays the clever salesman who gets it all wrong, and the film perfectly captures him as a sort of anti-hero, simply trying to rid himself of worries but in typical fashion, good guys finish last. McDormand plays a woman who never truly seems up to the challenge, but surprises us at every turn, all the while being heavily pregnant. She lights up the screen with a budding and peculiar accent which only fits this type of film, she is sure to enjoy her day, but also do her job properly. The film manages to create a sense of wicked behaviour, but treat it as another day at the office for these gentle snow folk. The Coens create scenes that simply shouldn't be funny,, but the combination of a strong 'nice' accent and the comic timing from the actors, which is pivotal in many of the brothers films, make these scenes truly memorable to watch, they have ordinary and daily grind conversations, all while investigating a murder inquiry. Its the perfect blend of drama and thrill, but with a light-hearted stroke for those who simply love the art going on in front of them.
    It's truly a triumph not only for its time, but as time goes on, it never ceases to be a clever, simple and unique film, perfectly showcasing the Coen brothers for what they are known for, taking a simple premise and creating the most unpredictable and most engaging films imaginable, doing this through character interaction and environmental cues, combined with excellent scripts and pure talent in acting, easily one of the best films of the nineties for sure.
  13. Feb 21, 2012
    I can't really say what's wrong with this film cause I loved it while it lasted but when it ended I felt kind of disappointed. I guess that makes it perfect for the second viewing. By the way, Frances McDormand won an Oscar for this film as a leading actress but she is actually a supporting. And most of her scenes were distracting from the central plot, but she gave it a comic relief. William H. Macy is lead but he was nominated for supporting. Buscemi and Stormare are standout. Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2012
    Uma das grandes obras dos irmãos Coen. Um festival de trapalhadas vai moldando um clássico do humor negro graças a Steve Buscemi e Frances McDormand e ogrande roteiro dos irmãos.
  15. Aug 25, 2014
    A focused and fascinating look at hard times in Minnesota, brought to you by grandeur storytellers, the Coen brothers. It's dark, sometimes morbid, but with a hilarious performance from Frances McDormand, there aren't any emotions missing.
  16. Aug 23, 2013
    It stands as one fine achievement. It accomplished so much in storytelling yet it was incredibly simplistic. Very funny with heavy use of satire. The atmosphere around Fargo proves that the Coen brothers know how to direct a movie. And what a movie it is.
  17. Apr 5, 2012
    A classic. A very interesting, yet simplistic story, some very interesting characters and brilliant acting. Also has a fantastic atmosphere. I recommend this great movie.
  18. Jun 17, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film, it is a twisted comedy which really works because of the innocents of Midwest America. It is easy to see why Frances McDormand won a Oscar for her role as the pregnant police chief, she was believable and warm while trying to track down murderers while their list of victims keeps growing. I don't think this film could of worked in many other locations then North Dakota/Minnesota, just the subtle charm and innocents of the people is what makes this film in my mind. I give it a 7.4 out of 10, definitely will be watching the one again. Expand
  19. Jul 4, 2012
    When I first watched this i didn't know it was another Cohen film I liked. Love this film cuz' of the heavy accents (from "da norte US, eh") but also cuz of the simple story as well. Macey steels this flick in his role. And although their is inherent violence, you can easily begin to identify with with each character. Which, goes a long way about describing this movie.
  20. Feb 9, 2014
    Fargo is good because it manages to be darkly humorous but at the same time gory, violent and down to earth. The characters seem very real and even relatable and the movie is just filled with classic moments.
  21. Apr 19, 2013
    Fargo is a movie that can certainly be slow at times, but the plot always keep you interested in the movie and overall, it is certainly a great movie. The acting and directing were both on point.
  22. Nov 15, 2012
    Oh ya, you betcha. Fargo's definitely one the most original, darkly funny, and ultimately maniacal movies I've seen. It's ring is almost that of a Pulp Fiction that takes place in Minnesota. It has all the same quirks.
  23. Mar 8, 2013
    Either I don't understand Fargo or..The movie isn't good. I love Coen films like No Country For Old Men or The Big Lebowski but Fargo isn't how they are.The story is terrible,the characters are annoying. I don't understand the many good reviews.
  24. Nov 28, 2012
    It's wry, dark, yet surprisingly sanguine. "Fargo" proves again and again to be a truly rewarding piece of cinema, and a delightful look into the incredible acting ability of Frances McDormand.
  25. Feb 17, 2014
    A crossroad for black comedy, crime-thriller, and action film, 'Fargo' is perhaps the Coen brothers first true masterpiece. It succeeds in making the ultraviolence and absolute stupidity of almost every character that results in their rather crude demise, and adds enough irony to make it an enjoyable and surreal laugh. One of Frances McDormand's most impressive performances, though the most impressive and underrated character goes to Steve Buscemi, who in my opinion was snubbed by almost every major award. Ya gotta love the Coens, eh? Expand
  26. Mar 26, 2014
    Fargo is a victory lap for the Coen Brothers. They have fun with this movie, putting in many inside jokes, director's trademarks, and figurative language. From all the "Oh yaa's" to "The heck do you mean's", Fargo doesn't just introduce its characters, it puts you right into their world. The movie is enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining. And by the end, you'll be saying to yourself,

"I've seen enough f **kin snow to last me a lifetime."
    - John Amos, Die Hard 2
  27. Jan 29, 2014
    One of my favourites from the Coens. Makes me giggle every time I see wood chippers now; it's dark humor, and it's bloody brilliant. Quite literally.
  28. Dec 25, 2013
    It is one the most accessible Coen Brothers and a absolutely must see film to someone who enjoys cinema as I do. It is accessible, yes, but also a very smart well maid movie. It shows the talent of the brand The Coen Brother's'' and shows, also, how much they evolved since the 90's. It is not their best work, but It is, nonetheless, a great movie. I particularly liked the character of Marge Gunderson (Frances McDormand)- a pregnant police officer who as that ''cozy housewife'' kind of look. A kind smile and a peaceful attitude but a surprising great insight on the strange events that occur through the movie. Also I have praise William H. Macy as the bankrupt family man Jerry Lundegaard who takes the ''coward way out'' and starting developing schemes and even making arrangements with criminals to succeed. Without giving it away, the ending is brilliant and as shinning brilliant morality to it. As I said, It is a must see movie. Expand
  29. May 1, 2014
    A comedy thriller by the hand of Ethan Coen, and a sharp script that makes us laugh while being at the edge of the seat. Short, Entertaining, funny, brutal, unforgettable performances, murders, jokes. What's not to love in this masterpiece?
  30. Jul 23, 2014
    Fargo is probably the darkest comedy of all time, The Coen Brothers know how to make a dark comedy it's in their blood. The film has everything that a dark comedy needs: weird/dangerous characters and "dark stuff that the characters should do". McDormand, Macy, Buscemi and the underrated supporting cast give smart perfromances
  31. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    Fargo was such a good movie, with great acting from Frances McDormand and Steve Buscemi. The best movie from Joel Coen and Ethan Coen besides No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski.
  32. Jun 21, 2014
    Heard many of great things about this but it was not as good as I thought it was going to be. I am not a huge fan of the Coen brothers movies which is maybe why I didn't enjoy it too much. It did have some good acting and a few memorable scenes which gets it to a positive review from me.
  33. Jul 26, 2014
    Ok this movie is a kick in my ass. Kick in my ass. Kick ass. That's a good movie. Why? Because it's not extra-long, not boring and not for pure retards. At least Daniel Day Lewis is not in the movie. Because, please, he's idiot.
  34. Aug 6, 2014
    I absolutely loved this movie. The Coen brothers at there finest. This dark comedy is packed with gritty action scenes, funny dialogue, and the Coen brothers quirky humor. Hands down to Francis Mcdormand and Steve Buicemi (may be misspelled, sorry) for their great and funny performances too.

The brothers, who have always seemed fond of their characters, have never taken quite so overt a stand for life's simple joys.
    This mordant, macabre look at the American obsession with fast food, television and murder is icily funny.
  3. The Coens haven't been this sharp, focused and fluid since their first film. This is "Blood Simple's" promise fulfilled.