8.1

1. Sep 30, 2011
    The Coen Brothers presents "Fargo" not as a movie; they present it as a extreme state of art, a art that conveys silence and enlightenment altogether. If you are one of those people who really understand movies, this one's definitely for you.
  2. Aug 30, 2010
    Sometimes the humour is so dark, we wonder if we're supposed to be laughing but I gotta say, it's without doubt in my top 25 of all time. Very, very re-watchable and with magnificent performances from Steve buschemi, William Macy and Frances Mcdormand. It set the standard high for Joel and Ethan and except for one disappointing 2004 slip up they have succeeded in meeting it everytime. Be warned however the film is incredibly bloody but if not squeamish (there's one particularly visceral moment) this is a hilarious, smart, perfect comedy that taught me how depraved my humour really was! Seriously everything about this movie is brilliant! Expand
  3. Aug 20, 2010
    Having lived in the city of Fargo from 1998 to 2009, I can tell you a fair amount of people there don't like this movie. I, however, think it's great. Of course, most anything directed by the Cohen brothers will be good. And Steve Buscemi makes any movie even better.
  4. Jan 7, 2011
    Since Minnesota is the star of this film, an undiscovered cinematic landscape, expectations as an audience will be understated as a new frontier is established. The premise is noir-ish, a slick crime caper with twists, and the Coen's batter you with their isolated sense of belonging where character is not representative of action. Kind hearted men make mistakes, arrogant patriarchs are heroic and women are almost childlike. These examples build a topsy-turvy world where the stability of the wintry environment is redemptive and though not able to offer peace, it incubates life. Behind an implicit sense of humour that is never exploited is the warm tale of a cold world where beauty is detached from humanity. Possibly one of the greatest achievements in cinema to date. 100/100 Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2011
    If someone dares to say that Fargo is not one of the greatest films of all time, promptly slap them over the head, walk into the nearest hunting supplies store, return with an axe, chop the nay-sayer in half, and feed the corpse into a wood chipper. If that seems too harsh, you don't get Fargo.
  6. Aug 5, 2013
    Something which can apply to pretty much every Coen brothers film, there is nothing else quite like them out there, they have the wits of any clever drama, the dark humour of any black comedy and the gore and suspense of any thriller or horror flick, but the difference here is they are rolled into one, and Fargo is no different, the latest and one of the greatest from the two imaginative brothers. Also, with these two comes a cast brimming with talent and versatile performances, especially from Frances McDormand, who puts in an Oscar-winning performance as cheerful yet inquisitive police chief Marge Gunderson, who is on the trail of two cons who have been hired by an in over his head salesman trying to rid himself of debts by collecting ransom money for his wife, but a series of mishaps and deaths put a whole different spin on a straightforward tale of fraud.
    William H. Macy plays the clever salesman who gets it all wrong, and the film perfectly captures him as a sort of anti-hero, simply trying to rid himself of worries but in typical fashion, good guys finish last. McDormand plays a woman who never truly seems up to the challenge, but surprises us at every turn, all the while being heavily pregnant. She lights up the screen with a budding and peculiar accent which only fits this type of film, she is sure to enjoy her day, but also do her job properly. The film manages to create a sense of wicked behaviour, but treat it as another day at the office for these gentle snow folk. The Coens create scenes that simply shouldn't be funny,, but the combination of a strong 'nice' accent and the comic timing from the actors, which is pivotal in many of the brothers films, make these scenes truly memorable to watch, they have ordinary and daily grind conversations, all while investigating a murder inquiry. Its the perfect blend of drama and thrill, but with a light-hearted stroke for those who simply love the art going on in front of them.
    It's truly a triumph not only for its time, but as time goes on, it never ceases to be a clever, simple and unique film, perfectly showcasing the Coen brothers for what they are known for, taking a simple premise and creating the most unpredictable and most engaging films imaginable, doing this through character interaction and environmental cues, combined with excellent scripts and pure talent in acting, easily one of the best films of the nineties for sure.
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    Uma das grandes obras dos irmãos Coen. Um festival de trapalhadas vai moldando um clássico do humor negro graças a Steve Buscemi e Frances McDormand e ogrande roteiro dos irmãos.
  8. Feb 9, 2014
    Fargo is good because it manages to be darkly humorous but at the same time gory, violent and down to earth. The characters seem very real and even relatable and the movie is just filled with classic moments.
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    Oh ya, you betcha. Fargo's definitely one the most original, darkly funny, and ultimately maniacal movies I've seen. It's ring is almost that of a Pulp Fiction that takes place in Minnesota. It has all the same quirks.
  10. Nov 28, 2012
    It's wry, dark, yet surprisingly sanguine. "Fargo" proves again and again to be a truly rewarding piece of cinema, and a delightful look into the incredible acting ability of Frances McDormand.
  11. Feb 17, 2014
    A crossroad for black comedy, crime-thriller, and action film, 'Fargo' is perhaps the Coen brothers first true masterpiece. It succeeds in making the ultraviolence and absolute stupidity of almost every character that results in their rather crude demise, and adds enough irony to make it an enjoyable and surreal laugh. One of Frances McDormand's most impressive performances, though the most impressive and underrated character goes to Steve Buscemi, who in my opinion was snubbed by almost every major award. Ya gotta love the Coens, eh? Expand
  12. Mar 26, 2014
    Fargo is a victory lap for the Coen Brothers. They have fun with this movie, putting in many inside jokes, director's trademarks, and figurative language. From all the "Oh yaa's" to "The heck do you mean's", Fargo doesn't just introduce its characters, it puts you right into their world. The movie is enjoyable and thoroughly entertaining. And by the end, you'll be saying to yourself,

"I've seen enough f **kin snow to last me a lifetime."
    - John Amos, Die Hard 2
  13. Jan 29, 2014
    One of my favourites from the Coens. Makes me giggle every time I see wood chippers now; it's dark humor, and it's bloody brilliant. Quite literally.

The brothers, who have always seemed fond of their characters, have never taken quite so overt a stand for life's simple joys.
    This mordant, macabre look at the American obsession with fast food, television and murder is icily funny.
  3. The Coens haven't been this sharp, focused and fluid since their first film. This is "Blood Simple's" promise fulfilled.