7.6

1. Oct 18, 2014
    It's pretty hard to describe the movie since it mostly consists of drug hallucinogenic adventures of two guys, but yeah, the movie is great. Terry Gilliam could capture and show the sense of madness and surrealism here. A must-watch!
  2. Aug 13, 2014
    Funny, psychedelic, sometimes a mess, but interesting enough to keep you in this weird trip through the movie. Hard to watch, but nevertheless, one of the movies you just have to give it a try. and in the end there are two possible outcomes: you either love it or you hate it.
  3. Feb 3, 2014
    simply amazing. watched so many times and it still gives me joy. i suspect only ones that dont like it, are the ones that are 100% against drug use. and to those i say, it clearly shows the bad side of bad trips that are results of overuse as well, and in no way glorifies it after all. movie has a massive points on many levels, just not all can spot them apparently.
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    I admit, I almost turned this one off early on into the film, but I am glad I made it all the way through. The directing really makes you feel as if you are under the influence and really puts you into the mindset of Duke (Johnny Depp's character). As for the acting, it was quite good as well and Depp really played the role of the constantly under the influence writer very well. Only gripes were the utter lack of character development, which certainly hurts. The seemingly all over the place plot would normally be a gripe of mine as well, but in a film like this, it certainly makes a ton of sense. Expand
  5. Aug 20, 2012
    An audio-visual Masterpiece. It shows the devastating consequences of drug abuse mixed with brillant acting. This movie is greatly underrated and I guess some people voting it down don't understand it.
  6. Jul 31, 2012
    Meaningful, thoughtful, and excellently crafted. Movies like this help us explore ourselves and reality we create. This one additionally make this in a very entertaining way. If only You can keep up with the movie... Just like with Natural Born Killers it's best to watch it couple times.
  7. Jul 4, 2012
    This film is EXTREMELY underrated on this metascore thing. But not surpirsing-people usually really like this movie or are incredibily irritated with it. Obviously the visuals take you by surprising which will add to your experience or make you ill. Additionally, the dialog is a bit disjointed. But the two elements together define this film. Definite cult classic.
  8. Jun 7, 2012
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a total mess. During the 95% of the movie, it uses all the most obvious ways to show hallucinations, trying to hide the lack of ideas and good screenplay. This is the worst Terry Gilliam's production - pointless, disgusting and incredibly stupid. And even Benicio del Toro is not able to help it.
  9. Mar 26, 2012
    One of my favorite crazy movies to watch. It's so entertaining and Johnny Depp does a great job capturing his role in this movie. This movie will always be one of my favorites.
  10. Nov 14, 2011
    A masterpiece, simply the epitome of excellent acting by Johnny Depp who lived with the character he portrays for a period of time, just to ensure a competent imitation of him.
  11. Nov 6, 2010
    Truly a masterpiece. I appreciate the extreme divisiveness of opinions about the film, but simply don't understand it. Faithful adaptation, and nearly perfect film.
  12. Aug 27, 2010
    A surprisingly accurate adaptation of Hunter S. Thompson's odyssey of self-revelation, self-destruction and the American Dream. In fact, I'd say the movie is better than the book because Gilliam's visuals gives a sensory overload that really packs the in(s)anity into form. Thankfully, the hilarious antics of Depp and del Toro really follow suit.
  13. Aug 19, 2010
    Based off my favorite book, directed by one of my favorite directors, starring on of my favorite actors, what could go wrong? Very little! The film is incredibly faithful to the book and in my opinion one of the great underrated movies. Word of advice, if your planning on watching the film READ THE BOOK FIRST.

1. Reviewed by: David Sterritt
    Gilliam's visual style has never been more energetic or inventive, and nobody could be attracted to dope after this portrait of drug abuse as a hallucinatory quagmire.
  2. The movie is a true folly, yet there's no denying that Gilliam has gotten some of the hallucinogenic madness of Thompson's novel on screen.
  3. Reviewed by: Ron Wells
    Does for psychedelics what "Boogie Nights" does for cocaine; displaying in graphical detail the ultimate failure of drugs as an escape route.