8.6

1. Nov 15, 2012
    John Hughes made many great, intelligent, and wickedly witty films throughout the 80's. Bueller is one of his best, and its also one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
  2. PhilL
    Jul 9, 2007
    FUNNY, FUNNY and did I mention that it's FUNNY?
  3. Apr 9, 2012
    This is a rare variety of Hollywood teen farce has aged pretty well since its birth 25 years ago, written and directed by the late John Hughes, it is a witty and awful jolly comedy without any vulgar intention like AMERICAN PIE franchise and heralds Hughesâ
  4. Aug 14, 2013
    One of the most energetic, fun and entertaining movies I have ever seen. Matthew Broderick is perfect as cheeky Ferris Bueller, Alan Ruck is brilliant in the role of Cameron Frye who is always ill and worried. Even Charlie Sheen pops up as a teenager on drugs (he likes to stay in character long after filming is done). Ferris Buellers Day Off is one of the funniest most entertaining films IOne of the most energetic, fun and entertaining movies I have ever seen. Matthew Broderick is perfect as cheeky Ferris Bueller, Alan Ruck is brilliant in the role of Cameron Frye who is always ill and worried. Even Charlie Sheen pops up as a teenager on drugs (he likes to stay in character long after filming is done). Ferris Buellers Day Off is one of the funniest most entertaining films I have ever seen I was never bored! Expand
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is just a masterpiece. It captures the essence of high school and is incredibly to boot. I was directed and written by John Hughes (Home Alone, The Breakfast Club) and with all of his early work it balances comedy right along with the darker moments. It's only flaw is that I think it doesn't quite tie up all the loose ends, which leaves the viewer wondering but I still wanted to see more. Its comedic, dark, and has some of my favourite characters in film. Expand
  6. BillyA.
    Jul 22, 2004
    Kick arse movie, best i've seen my entire life.
  7. NicoleB.
    Dec 5, 2002
    This is the funniest movie I have ever seen. Its amazing. I love the lines that Cameron says, and the lines that Ferris says. They are amazing. I think that cameron was cute. I use cams like, Pardon my french.... alot.. anyone who cant give this movie a 10 doesn't have a sense of humor!
  8. YoonMinC.
    Sep 27, 2003
    Too cute for its own good, facile and superficial, it still does have the saving grace of being totally innocuous. Those who feel this movie might encourage truancy, relax; the scenario here is outlandish and ludicrous, utterly harmless. Sadly, most of the humor's also toothless. But, it works as a joyride travelogue; it's formulaic but so active that we feel grateful to just Too cute for its own good, facile and superficial, it still does have the saving grace of being totally innocuous. Those who feel this movie might encourage truancy, relax; the scenario here is outlandish and ludicrous, utterly harmless. Sadly, most of the humor's also toothless. But, it works as a joyride travelogue; it's formulaic but so active that we feel grateful to just sit back and enjoy changing scenery. Also, Broderick is winning and Mia Sara beautiful. Bueller's best friend has a comically dopey face and becomes a bore only as the focus of some unnecessary message about parental love. What raises this above most other Hughes movies is its complete attention deficit disorder; it doesn't know nor care what the hell it's about. In the same vein, Hughes finally scored a really good movie with Planes Trains and Automobiles. Expand
    Jun 12, 2005
    A suprisingly good movie. MAkes the 80's feel like the present, and makes your own world look a bit more fun, if only a little bit.
  10. JessiO.
    Apr 28, 2004
    If i could, i would give this a 1 million! bueller is nothing short of a genius!! its one of the classic films of all time, up there with breakfast club and rocky horror picture show.
  11. LouisK.
    Aug 17, 2004
    This is probably the best movie i've ever seen. it's hilarious, and it makes you wish you were smooth enough to pull off the tricks Bueller does to get out of school. the best part is, this scenario could actually happen if you are smooth enough. Mia Sara is freakin hot too.
  12. Aug 17, 2012
    Everything about this movie is a work of art. I laugh at everything that happens within this film. Whenever I'm showing a friend the amazingness of Ferris Bueller's Day Off, I quote everything before it happens. I'm annoying like that.
  13. Jan 9, 2014
    Such a great teen comedy easily my personal favorite of the john Huges films, The films full of heart wit and deeper meaning in my opinion and the dialog is superb and really shows how us teenagers intact with one and other and how we see the world around us
  14. PatC.
    Jan 8, 2004
    For me, Broderick was totally obnoxious.
  15. JC
    Dec 9, 2007
    It's funny how some of those 'professional' critics simply didn't get the point of the film, and thought it was a crass movie with no moral or message in the story.
  16. Mar 16, 2014
    The movie is funny. Broderick is a bad actor, indeed. i liked it because the movie itself is good, and the actors won't make it a horrible movie. #NERDPOWER
  17. Apr 11, 2013
    John Hughes's youthful relatability and humor clearly shine in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," an adventurously charming love letter to being young and living in Chicago.
  18. May 19, 2014
    I found it very strange that a teenage boy would spend his day off at mall and fine dining. It is rather what a middle age man with bad job would do on his day off. But that 's not my biggest complaint is not that. I don't mind if movie lacks logic or realism as long as it is entertaining.

My problem was that movie didn't live up to hype it got. I didn't find the movie as entertaining or funny as everyone on internet said nor I didn't find Ferris as cool or likable as everyone thinks.

First let me talk about the movie. The movie was very dull, boring, slow and uneventful for me. Even the situation that happens are not so entertaining sometime. For example, take museum scene. Sure setting a scene in museum is boring itself.But that is not a big problem. A good director can make a scene set in boring classroom interesting. What makes this scene boring is that characters do nothing. They do not do any mischief, they do not destroy anything, they do not do prank or the fact that do not give any witty remarks on any painting. They just stand and stare the painting. Instead camera shows the paintings. If I had to see the painting, I would use my internet to Google some painting or if I don't have internet, I would simply go to public library and read a book about painting. When fun thing actually happen i.e.; watching baseball game , they don't show much. Only time I laughed was when Ed Rooney was humiliated.

Now let me talk about Ferris Bueller himself. Even if I forget he lies and manipulate people who loves him the most, I still don't like this character. I did not find him cool at all. There is no strong reason why he is the most popular kid in school who is worshiped by everyone. Only special thing about him is his unbelievable luck. I found him boring guy who keeps on explaining why is he cool.
  19. DLC
    Feb 9, 2008
    Old movie full of 80's.Somehow without a plot, a meaning, a sense.The beginning is nice,when Broderick talk into camera and show his inventions to evade. But the characters of people are completely absent. The girl seems a doll,the friend a future psychopath flat from a father that not exist if not in the car, the relatives absolutely unrealistic. A dream that can never be realistic. Old movie full of 80's.Somehow without a plot, a meaning, a sense.The beginning is nice,when Broderick talk into camera and show his inventions to evade. But the characters of people are completely absent. The girl seems a doll,the friend a future psychopath flat from a father that not exist if not in the car, the relatives absolutely unrealistic. A dream that can never be realistic. Absolutely deviating and poor. Expand
  20. ChristinaB.
    Mar 2, 2004
    AWESOME, sooooo funny~!
  21. Natalie
    Jul 13, 2004
    Obnoxious teenage dribble. Cameron was the only thing about this movie that was half decent.
  22. AndrewM.
    May 18, 2004
    Eminently watchable and likeable film about three friends who skip school and run amok for the day. Loads of irreverent fun throughout, only weighed down by typical Hughes moralities and stereotyping. That aside, this is one of his finest films and will communicate to teenagers for many generations to come. Great fun!
  23. ChrisM
    Nov 3, 2005
    Come on. This movie is such a classic it's ridiculous. Beyond that it is hilarious. Who doesn't watch at least part of it every time it's on t.v.
  24. EricaB.
    Nov 12, 2002
    One of my favorite movies of all time! it combines comedy, spontanaity, and of course the wonderful ben stein...his 'anyone? anyone?' classroom scene is timeless...you should definitely see this movie!
  25. Steve-OA.
    Nov 21, 2004
    This has to be my favorite 80s movies ever. Possibly my favorite ever. The only part that was kind of gay was when the car got wrecked and it got all touchy feely for a bit, but that's nothing, the perfect teen movie!
  26. M.G.
    Dec 27, 2005
    You are INSANE if you don't love this 80's cult classic...it is one of if not the best movie from that time...the only one i like about as much is breakfast club.
  27. May 8, 2011
    Broderick, Jones and Grey put on great performances in this widely-known, cult-classic film about every teenager's dream: to skip school and take the day off.
  28. May 10, 2012
    This is the feel-good movie of the century.
  29. Mar 21, 2013
    John Hughes introduces us to another character stuck inside his head,the teenage dynamo Ferris Bueller.
    Bueller, played by Matthew Broderick, decides to create an elaborate hoax out of one of the oldest pastimes of the generation, skipping school. But what sets this film part as another teen movie is not the premise of the film, but the actual character of Bueller and is influence on his little entourage of classmates and is entire school who hear about his 'illness'.
    Ferris orchestrates several ways so as his day off goes smoothly, dummy in the bed, recorded message for the doorbell etc, but a persistent school principal (Jeffrey Jones) may just wreck that.
    The day really consists of various places that Ferris has clearly wanted to visit, and a very memorable scene at a parade, which is just too enjoyable.
    Alan Ruck also stars as the worrying and depressive Cameron, Ferris' best friend but someone who has issues with his parents. Mia Sara plays Sloane, Ferris' girlfriend, who Ferris manages to get out of school.
    The movie has all the vintage touches of Hughes, the in-your-face cinematography and the exaggerated moments of simple scenarios with pounding music to signify the scene.
    Ferris continuously speaks directly to the camera, this is quite clever in that we see the influence and effect that he has on the other characters and the bigger, overall picture of what is being told, he is narrating the insecurities that teens face in their everyday lives, and what it means to be free, and also the simple case of not having everything doesn't necessarily make him unhappy.
    What I feel took the film down though was Hughes excessive use of his dramatised camera techniques, they just become annoying and didn't suit the style of the film at all, and the film could have benefited greatly without them.
    The message within the film does do the whole feature justice though, dealing with problems head on and looking out for your friends couldn't be more heartfelt in this film. Something as simple as freedom for the youth couldn't be more important, and Matthew Broderick has the perfect face and charm to put across that message. Certainly not an amazing film, but the agenda that the film has is one of the upmost importance and is a nice deterrent from the typical teen films that we are now accustomed to, if you don't stop for a while and admire it, you might just miss it.
  30. Mar 10, 2012
    tom cruise was just brutal i hated his singing and his no shirt swandive it wasnt poopalisious..........but then again its my favorite movie. im a tough critic
  31. Mar 24, 2012
    I cannot understand how a filmmaker so ruthlessly dedicated to finding the true heart of the tortured teenage soul could create the most deceptive, commercial teenager in the history of film without giving him a heart or a soul.
  32. Jan 3, 2014
    Um dos filmes das divertido da década de 80, um clássico da comédia inesquecível considerado por mim um dos melhores adolescente de todos os tempos, um clássico.
  33. May 11, 2013
    Love or hate this movie It`s an obvious classic. The only reason I give it a 8 instead of a 10 is I don`t really like the main character, hes kind of annoying but some how this is still one of those movies that live forever.
  34. Jan 29, 2013
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not about Ferris Bueller. It's about the characters surrounding him and the behavior he can evoke. Everybody knows it's really Cameron Frye's Day Off, anyway.
  35. Feb 18, 2014
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a showboat for teenage farce and "passive aggressive"-ness, but ends up being short on substance. The whole thing is superficial.
  36. May 28, 2015
    It is not hard to see the appeal of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Featuring a great performance from Matthew Broderick, a funny script and great direction from John Hughes, and some oddly touching moments, this one has all the ingredients for a success. Luckily, it takes this ingredients and uses them wisely, ending up with a really good comedy. Though it may get a bit outlandish at times, itIt is not hard to see the appeal of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Featuring a great performance from Matthew Broderick, a funny script and great direction from John Hughes, and some oddly touching moments, this one has all the ingredients for a success. Luckily, it takes this ingredients and uses them wisely, ending up with a really good comedy. Though it may get a bit outlandish at times, it really captures the end of high school well and honestly just feels like a good time. It is an enjoyable little film that may not be entirely realistic, sure, but it surely delivers in the entertainment department and is a film that you wish would never end, unlike the end of high school, which cannot come soon enough for many. Overall, Ferris Bueller's Day Off is a classic that I am ashamedly just getting around to, however, it was more than worth the wait as it delivered exactly what I was hoping for: a funny high school comedy with some killer writing and acting. Expand
  37. Feb 24, 2015
    This is an original, well written, hilarious piece of cinematography. Every role is cast perfectly, the movie will have you laughing through most of its plot except the parts where you aren't supposed which are well done and written as well. True classic!

That the film doesn't live up to our anticipation of a rolicking good time is only part of its disappointment. [11 June 1986]
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    It's basically a mindless paean to goofing off, with interludes of dubious seriousness. [16 June 1986]
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    The story and pacing of this offbeat comedy wear thin after the first 20 minutes.