8.6

1. ReidF.
    Feb 2, 2007
    One of the most beautiful films ever made, I find this movie to be a litmus test. Those who don't like it (and there are many) are generally people with little or no imagination. Overall, there are so many touching and superb aspects and scenes in this movie that it requires multiple viewings. It is a great film about the fragile relationship between father and son.
  2. Jul 24, 2011
    I thought it was a spectacular movie. It was really great and it really taught you the lesson of bringing back the past every once in awhile. It was a cool mixture of drama, mystery, and comedy. It's a classic Kevin Costner movie and will be in my favorites for a long time.
  3. TrevorG.
    May 3, 2005
    This is the best movie i have ever seen. I dont know what the **** you people are thinking by giving it an 8.2!!!!!
  4. ZacharyF.
    Jan 10, 2004
    In my mind, this is the best baseball movie ever made. Everything about this movie is pitch perfect, from the acting to the production design to the editing and music. Anyone who isn't moved by the end is a Grinch.
  5. JohnL.
    Feb 26, 2005
    Yes! You have to suspend belief! I didn't quite the first viewing but did for all since - helped along by the lushly evocative James Horner score. Don't ask a lot of questions. Just let it wash over you. If you were a kid whose dad tried like heck to interest you in baseball but could not - and he's gone now, you will think of him differently - when the last of several plot Yes! You have to suspend belief! I didn't quite the first viewing but did for all since - helped along by the lushly evocative James Horner score. Don't ask a lot of questions. Just let it wash over you. If you were a kid whose dad tried like heck to interest you in baseball but could not - and he's gone now, you will think of him differently - when the last of several plot resolutions plays out in the final 5 minutes of the film. Expand
  6. MartinA.
    Jul 28, 2006
    I'm not a baseball fan, but this movie is one of my favourites. It goes beyond baseball, it's more about dad-son relationship.
  7. AstridF.
    Jun 9, 2007
    Love it, love it, love it!! It is so moving, and so clever, I must have seen it 100 times. I know, it sounds a little weird, but it really is that good.
  8. WesW.
    Dec 28, 2006
    Great movie about the relationship, or lack of same, between a son & a father. I won't spoil the ending. A movie for all ages.
  9. Oct 31, 2010
    not the best family movie, but it has great entertainment and it teaches us about bringing back the past.

Rating: 88%
  10. Sep 23, 2011
    It was a little too much fictional for me, the story wasn't all that good, it was normal, but it was entertaining, but even like that I was very disappointed and was expecting more. Though Kevin and Amy could have done a better job
  11. PatC.
    Jan 8, 2004
    Costner was so close on this one, but he just couldn't help being, well, Costner. There are folks that like these kinds of movies, and I prefer more such movies be made if it will keep those folks off the streets.
  12. Jan 17, 2012
    This movie horrified me. Managing to be bathetic and trite while simultaneously being outlandish and grandiose, the movie fell from whatever place it had occupied on the shelf, to a despairing Gehenna at my deepest loathing. The acting was full of overextended, sloppy gesticulations and Wagnerian squawking, ineffectual delivery and spastic presence. The writing was sufferable at best.This movie horrified me. Managing to be bathetic and trite while simultaneously being outlandish and grandiose, the movie fell from whatever place it had occupied on the shelf, to a despairing Gehenna at my deepest loathing. The acting was full of overextended, sloppy gesticulations and Wagnerian squawking, ineffectual delivery and spastic presence. The writing was sufferable at best. Truly a disappointment. Expand
  13. Feb 15, 2012
    if you are a guy and you dont rate this movie a 10 then you need to grow a pair. just watch how i met your mother the tv show they talk all about how great this movie is in oneif you are a guy and you dont rate this movie a 10 then you need to grow a pair. just watch how i met your mother the tv show they talk all about how great this movie is in one episode................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. Expand
  14. Nov 28, 2012
    With "Field of Dreams", Phil Alden Robinson creates one of the most heartwarming sports movies I've ever seen. Though it isn't really a sports movie at heart, in my opinion. This movie is mostly about getting an oppurtunity to fulfill one's deepest wishes. Throw in some really heartfelt messages on father/son relationships and you have me sold. Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, and Ray LiottaWith "Field of Dreams", Phil Alden Robinson creates one of the most heartwarming sports movies I've ever seen. Though it isn't really a sports movie at heart, in my opinion. This movie is mostly about getting an oppurtunity to fulfill one's deepest wishes. Throw in some really heartfelt messages on father/son relationships and you have me sold. Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, and Ray Liotta are all incredible in their respective roles, but James Earl Jones steals almost every scene he's in in this movie. The guy gives a fantastic speech towards the end of this movie that made me smile ear to ear. In the end, "Field of Dreams" is a really and truly powerful sports drama. It features a wealth of well developed and executed themes and a heap of great performances. Awesome movie. Expand
  15. Apr 8, 2013
    I am not American and therefore do not care about the great American sport of baseball. But this film isn't just about baseball it's about hope and the fulfilment of dreams. It's also about patriotism and the pride of being America (courtesy of a monologue provided by James Earl Jones). Despite being a very American movie this is a truly wonderful movie that everyone should see even ifI am not American and therefore do not care about the great American sport of baseball. But this film isn't just about baseball it's about hope and the fulfilment of dreams. It's also about patriotism and the pride of being America (courtesy of a monologue provided by James Earl Jones). Despite being a very American movie this is a truly wonderful movie that everyone should see even if you don't like baseball (or America for that matter). Expand
  16. Sep 29, 2013
    Field of Dreams, according to "The Bro Code", is the only movie a bro can cry at. Well, I can see why that is so. This movie is so dramatic and lighthearted, one of those late 80's movies that will never be made again, a rare masterpiece in filmmaking. Yeah, this movie can be sappy and melodramatic, but it's still recommended by me.
  17. May 16, 2015
    This past father’s day, I decided to look back at one certain film that reminded me it was a true gift to have a father; a film that reminded me why a family is the best thing you could have in your life. This is Phil Alden Robinson’s 'Field of Dreams', possibly one of the most poignant films ever made. It is a baseball film that instead of focusing on winning a game or championship, itThis past father’s day, I decided to look back at one certain film that reminded me it was a true gift to have a father; a film that reminded me why a family is the best thing you could have in your life. This is Phil Alden Robinson’s 'Field of Dreams', possibly one of the most poignant films ever made. It is a baseball film that instead of focusing on winning a game or championship, it is, at it’s core, a father and son story.

The beginning of the film is told through the perspective of Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner), where he gives a backstory of his past, telling how he grew up without a mother and how he lost his father at age 17. In the present day, because his father was a professional baseball player, he decides to make his cornfield into a real baseball diamond after hearing a voice whisper to him “If you build it, he will come”. When he completes the field, the 1919 Chicago Black Sox baseball team begin to play baseball on the diamond in ghost form as it was the team Ray’s father was a part of. The movie aims at telling a story that the audience can relate with by adding drama and emotion to challenge the characters and have them develop.

The characters of the film are all believable and relatable. The main protagonist, Ray Kinsella, is a farmer who constantly has bad memories of his past, and when he builds the baseball field, he begins to forget the past and move on. He can connect with the viewers because of his deep connection with his father. For the supporting characters, there’s Ray’s Wife, Annie Kinsella (Amy Madigan), who is always there to support Ray by encouraging him to keep the field. She also helps him find out why the voice was telling him to build the baseball field. Shoeless Joe Jackson (Ray Liotta) is the first of the deceased Black Sox players to meet Ray in the baseball field, and he talks with Ray that he is more than happy to be able to play baseball again after the field was built. Mark (Timothy Busfield), Ray’s brother-in-law, wants Ray to sell the field due to financial issues that occur later in the film, but he later has a change of heart when he experiences that there really are baseball players coming to Ray’s yard to relive their golden age. But possibly the most affective character in the film, Terence Mann (James Earl Jones), a radical author who stopped writing books after his books were banned from schools. Because of this, he begins to form a connection with Ray, as they both experienced a painful past, which adds to the complexity of the two characters. All of these are part of what makes the movie work so well because none of them are just useless filler and help keep the audience’s attention by constantly moving the story forward.

The strongest element of this film is the atmospheric score by James Horner. Usually in films like this, you would only hear small nitpicks of music just to fill in the quiet moments of the film, resulting in a mediocre soundtrack. For this film, however, rather than just having random music for filler, Composer Horner chose to have the music emphasize the tone of the film by giving it a “ghostly and quiet” feel to enhance the feel of the film and evoke the emotions of the characters. The ghostly and quiet tones are used when Ray completes the baseball field and waits for the results, and there is one scene in particular where we are introduced to the deceased Shoeless Joe Jackson. The score then uses a percussion drum and synthesizer with a sort of whimsical mood that really grabs the viewers attention because we are actually seeing a deceased figure in Ray’s newly made baseball field, and it emphasizes that Ray had “achieved the impossible”.

It’s extremely rare that we have sports movies that have a story that doesn’t use the usual “struggling team must win big game” plot and instead adds complexity to the characters and having the audience connect with the nature and overall tone of the film. I consider 'Field of Dreams' to be one of the most inspirational films of all time, and it is a must watch for all baseball fans and moviegoers everywhere, with a story that is very inspirational, relatable characters, and an atmospheric score that tugs at your heartstrings. Perhaps what this film taught us most of all is that when we build our dreams, they will come.

If you're in the right mood this movie will bring a tear to your eye. If you're not you're probably already watching "Reservoir Dogs".
  2. Despite a few wrong turns early on, the movie gathers graceful momentum and heads straight to the warm heart of the book - that fond spot located just on the safe side of sentimentality, a feel- good place that doesn't leave any feel-stupid fallout.
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not Credited)
    In spite of a script hobbled with cloying aphorisms and shameless sentimentality, Field of Dreams sustains a dreamy mood in which the idea of baseball is distilled to its purest essence.