6.3

1. BryanC.
    Nov 4, 2003
    Only reason I gave it a 10 is because it wouldn't let me give it a 35 out of 10. Absolutly Captivating Sotoryline. Amzing effects, great vocal performances. Incredible special edtition DVD as well. I collect all the merchandise i can of this film. One of my top 10 all time favorites.
  2. DavidT
    Jun 16, 2008
    When this movie came out there were a lot of people I knew that felt that because it was SquareSoft making it, it should have have a deep plot. Those that came in expecting a fairy tail were disappointed, but the only way for them to get such depth is with a series of films. I believe for a single film it had a believable environment, likable characters, goals that are usually traditional When this movie came out there were a lot of people I knew that felt that because it was SquareSoft making it, it should have have a deep plot. Those that came in expecting a fairy tail were disappointed, but the only way for them to get such depth is with a series of films. I believe for a single film it had a believable environment, likable characters, goals that are usually traditional in SQ games, and a good antagonist. I personally feel they did a good job seeing as they are a game company. Collapse
  3. AndrewF.
    Nov 22, 2001
    At last another animated feature that doesn't have a disneyesque stotyline. You cannot compare it to any 'Final Fantasy' game because every game is completely different from the last anyway. Design wise this stands up to any of the previous IX games that came before it. Performance wise it is hard to tell since Final Fantasy has always relied on text narrative rather than At last another animated feature that doesn't have a disneyesque stotyline. You cannot compare it to any 'Final Fantasy' game because every game is completely different from the last anyway. Design wise this stands up to any of the previous IX games that came before it. Performance wise it is hard to tell since Final Fantasy has always relied on text narrative rather than spoken dialogue. But the actors seemed to do an good job. The plot is NOT science heavy as some have stated. It's all pretty self explanatory, like the games science takes a back-seat to abstract notions such as magic. The ending will not piss you off. Unless you actually like the sort of endings that plague movies like "Dungeons and Dragons." See this. Expand
  4. ThomasN
    Jul 27, 2008
    This movie has a visual appeal, rarely seen in movies and a voice acting, i have never seen achieved in 3d animation before, the characters were more alive than i have ever seen before. true, the story was kinda weird but then again, i have seen worse story in many other movies. Definitely worth a watch.
  5. Jul 24, 2011
    Stuck between a rock and a hard place; Final Fantasy neither resembles the games of its namesake nor provides solid narrative to quiet the harshest critic. Both camps hate the film for what it isn't; it isn't related to the games at all and it isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey. As far as visuals go, The Spirits Within looks amazing ten years after its original release, which is not to say it'sStuck between a rock and a hard place; Final Fantasy neither resembles the games of its namesake nor provides solid narrative to quiet the harshest critic. Both camps hate the film for what it isn't; it isn't related to the games at all and it isn't 2001: A Space Odyssey. As far as visuals go, The Spirits Within looks amazing ten years after its original release, which is not to say it's overbalanced with style over substance ... well, it is, really. This came out when I was studying for a computer animation degree and I will always love it (even if most of it is motion captured) because it blew my eyes out of its sockets. The story is standard Science Fiction fare that often breaks down into shoot 'em up action but underneath is something deeper that's there if you decide look for it. Expand
  6. Sep 15, 2013
    The greatest criticism I will have to this movie is its name. Yes it was made by Squaresoft, but it is Final Fantasy in name only. It offers and deliver very little to give it any connection to the franchise. A few small nods here and there, but nothing substantial enough to make the connection. This is likely why allot of fans really raged against the movie. I didn't rage, I was just aThe greatest criticism I will have to this movie is its name. Yes it was made by Squaresoft, but it is Final Fantasy in name only. It offers and deliver very little to give it any connection to the franchise. A few small nods here and there, but nothing substantial enough to make the connection. This is likely why allot of fans really raged against the movie. I didn't rage, I was just a little disappointed.

That aside as a movie, on its own forgetting the name, it is beautiful. Considering the animation was done in 2001 it was utterly breathtaking and mind blowing. Character are great and the voice acting absolutely fantastic. Story was a little limp though. I felt there was too little focus on the main plot and more on the main characters. This constant sidetracking from the main plot really get a little boring and does ruin the pacing. Making the movie a little boring at times. But when the action kicks in, it really kicks in! In fact it kicks in far to quickly and is over before you know it.

Overall:
    The Spirits Within (I ignore the FF part) is a decent enough movie that perhaps could have been longer, simply to add in more relevant plot points and perhaps cut down on the character development a little.

A great movie that you will love the first time you watch it, but can be a bit dull as a rerun.
  7. MatthewG
    Nov 11, 2008
    Should of done very well, and could of change how we did film if it had done well. Very easy my favorites
  8. BenF.
    Jul 12, 2001
    As a lifelong fan of the Final Fantasy series, I'd been waiting in anxious anticipation for this movie since first hearing about the plans for its creation several years ago. Once the official website got up and running, I visited often, clutching at bits and pieces of plot, news, and, of course, the breathtaking images and movies available for download. It was also there that I As a lifelong fan of the Final Fantasy series, I'd been waiting in anxious anticipation for this movie since first hearing about the plans for its creation several years ago. Once the official website got up and running, I visited often, clutching at bits and pieces of plot, news, and, of course, the breathtaking images and movies available for download. It was also there that I learned a painful fact: the movie was to be set on Earth, a Final Fantasy no-no as any die-hard fan will tell you. When I finally got to the theater and sat down, I already had a good idea as to what I'd be getting: a very beautifully rendered science fiction adventure; not a Final Fantasy movie. Therefore, I wasn't terribly disappointed when several important Final Fantasy elements were neglected: magic, chocobos and a Nobuo Uematsu score. The plot was clearly wrought by Hironobu Sakaguchi and could have easily fit into a Final Fantasy world, which "The Spirits Within" was not. Nevertheless, I was thoroughly blown away by the amazing visual imagry and kept semi-enthralled by the story. While it fails to stay true to the series, "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" survives by its own virtues. Expand
  9. AndrewE.
    Jul 16, 2001
    Holy Jesus! This movie had better special effects than all of the star wars movies combined! (well maybe) The plot was O.K. and characters were so life-like. The way they sounded corresponded with the way the looked. It was nearly perfect. Too bad the ending was a lull-fest.
  10. DBO
    Apr 15, 2003
    This is a great material and fantastic achievment from makers in both aspects - visual/sonic and plot concepts. Of course there's many mistakes but the overall result is very emotional and "smooth".
  11. Tidus
    Sep 10, 2004
    The Flaws are 1 way to sad, and 2 slowley paced, but it's gorgous, and is decent overall, but fits more Xenosaga then FF.
  12. anonimoa.
    Mar 20, 2005
    Una muy buena y bella pelicula con buenas graficas y escenas de accion.
  13. DavidT.
    Oct 17, 2001
    I simply loved this movie, it had everything I could possibly want in a such a great sci-fi movie Ming-Na(Dr. Aki Ross) did such a superb job on the acting and it is a same there will be no sequel seeing as Square cut the funding to Square Pictures, the DVD comes out 10-23-01 so go out and support this movie buying the dvd which includes an extra bonus dvd with awesome features like edit I simply loved this movie, it had everything I could possibly want in a such a great sci-fi movie Ming-Na(Dr. Aki Ross) did such a superb job on the acting and it is a same there will be no sequel seeing as Square cut the funding to Square Pictures, the DVD comes out 10-23-01 so go out and support this movie buying the dvd which includes an extra bonus dvd with awesome features like edit a scene, I first fell in love with Final Fantasy when back in 1997 Final Fantasy VII came out for the original Playstation I simply loved it, rated #8 as it was too difficult, but I loved IX it was great, so ll in all I gave the movie a perfect 10 out of 10. I saw it on the firs showing on opening day, and I do not regret spending $4 to see it. Expand
  14. JoshG.
    Oct 24, 2001
    I thought the movie was remarkably well put together and the visual effects were amazing. But on another note who the hell is muzak what the hell is trite.
  15. KevinJ.
    Dec 6, 2001
    A truly amazing movie. Though, a bit more "out there" for your average movie goer, it was a superb movie. A very unique storyline. Unique meaning that almost all of the charachters that you get attached to during the movie, end up dying at the end. Oh well. The only thing that this movie really needs is a sequel, where somehow all of grey's crew (and Grey) come back. Unfortunately A truly amazing movie. Though, a bit more "out there" for your average movie goer, it was a superb movie. A very unique storyline. Unique meaning that almost all of the charachters that you get attached to during the movie, end up dying at the end. Oh well. The only thing that this movie really needs is a sequel, where somehow all of grey's crew (and Grey) come back. Unfortunately this will probably not happen due to Square's major loss on the movie. This movie is superb, if you have any doubts about this movie forget them, it's excellent. Expand
  16. FelipeS.
    Jul 22, 2001
    Great technical feat! A true follow-up to the FF tradition...but you've got to see this one twice, to glue all those small missing details drowned in amazing action.
  17. PatrickP.
    Jul 31, 2001
    Well, she's not Terra or Cloud, but Aki Ross is so visually stunning you forget you are watching an entirely pixilated character. Square Soft has done here exactly what they needed to do. Although this movie was somewhat dry on plot, Square has gotten their foot in the door and wet the mouths of the entire world. This step marks the evolution and convergence of video games and Well, she's not Terra or Cloud, but Aki Ross is so visually stunning you forget you are watching an entirely pixilated character. Square Soft has done here exactly what they needed to do. Although this movie was somewhat dry on plot, Square has gotten their foot in the door and wet the mouths of the entire world. This step marks the evolution and convergence of video games and movies; pretty soon we will get to chose the action. And I'm sure, just like this movie, Square Soft will be on the leading edge. Expand
  18. Jess
    Sep 26, 2001
    Unbelievable graphics- a new start to computer-generated movies. The plot is great and unique. The book explains it better and put together it's great!
    Sep 10, 2004
    Two words I cried:( But this isn't a good movie. Go spend your money on FF7 AC.
  20. JoannaD.
    Oct 30, 2005
    This movie was unpredictable in that it was not very "Final Fantasy" and it did not have the feel that the video games have. Extremely contrare to Advent Children, but just as awesome in its own way.
  21. Sam
    Apr 23, 2005
    Sad, beautiful, and KICK-ASS. I thought the action was great, but the high point is its beauty, but play the games, they're superior in every way (then again, like Tidus said, it's more like the amazing Xenosaga).
  22. JamesC.
    Jul 17, 2001
    Two of the things that I REALLY liked about this movie (and that no one says anything about) is the fact that 1) despite its PG-13 rating, this movie is CLEAN content-wise and 2) they avoid the cliché of busty and beautiful females. Bad dialogue? What-are-you-talking-about? Excessive bad language = bad dialogue. And remember this: every time these characters SAY something, they Two of the things that I REALLY liked about this movie (and that no one says anything about) is the fact that 1) despite its PG-13 rating, this movie is CLEAN content-wise and 2) they avoid the cliché of busty and beautiful females. Bad dialogue? What-are-you-talking-about? Excessive bad language = bad dialogue. And remember this: every time these characters SAY something, they have to move their lips and make the words and movements match--no easy feat. Despite some wrinkles in the storyline, this movie was very satisfying. Expand
  23. R.C.
    Jul 23, 2001
    Great graphics; although the character animation was just not 'quite' right. Story was just OK. I've seen a lot worse at the theaters lately!
  24. DarianA.
    Jan 18, 2002
    It's the best 3D graphic film ever. Revolutionary.
  25. AlexS.
    Dec 6, 2003
    One of the best films for the past several years - superb storyline, visuals and characters. You'd hate it though if you're fan of no brainer processed junk from Hollywood. PS. As far as the game references go - I have never played it and have no intetion to.
  26. BobC.
    Aug 23, 2003
    This is the best film ever made. the story line is superb, and the graphics are just the best!!! this film is even better than the godfather: part 2!!!
  27. AMovieCritic
    Jan 23, 2007
    It was a pretty entertaining, definitely very cool looking sci-fi futuristic adventure that's fun, and always interesting...yet forgettable the moment you turn the movie off. The characters just don't leave much of an impact and the plot was actually not nearly as impressive as the plot featured in most FF games. That said, it's a pretty good movie that's DEFINITELY It was a pretty entertaining, definitely very cool looking sci-fi futuristic adventure that's fun, and always interesting...yet forgettable the moment you turn the movie off. The characters just don't leave much of an impact and the plot was actually not nearly as impressive as the plot featured in most FF games. That said, it's a pretty good movie that's DEFINITELY not great...but pretty good. I liked Dr. Sid, and the little homage to FF7 at the end was pretty cool, but ...I don't know. Not worth a purchase but maybe at least a rental. Expand
  28. Feb 22, 2014
    i think this film failed all because of one thing....the name as a FF fan i saw this and thought it was terrible but a few weeks ago i found it on DVD for a very cheap price so i bought it and then i watched as if it wasn't part of the franchise and it was an fairly enjoyable sci-fi film not the best but it wasn't terrible, the voice acting was great, the animation was brilliant for a 2001i think this film failed all because of one thing....the name as a FF fan i saw this and thought it was terrible but a few weeks ago i found it on DVD for a very cheap price so i bought it and then i watched as if it wasn't part of the franchise and it was an fairly enjoyable sci-fi film not the best but it wasn't terrible, the voice acting was great, the animation was brilliant for a 2001 film but the story was a bit lacking and left me with a few questions but its worth a watch by any animated movie fan even if you view it just as a technical milestone Expand
  29. Jan 4, 2015
    A very solid generic sci-fi movie. I really feel like the one MASSIVE problem this movie has is the Final Fantasy title. Once you slap Final Fantasy onto something there are certain expectations and this doesn't fit.
    This movie is closer to something like Blade Runner than it is to Final Fantasy. If it had just been "The Sprits Within" I don't think it would get even 1/2 the hate it does.

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Cody Clark
    The result is a feast for the eyes but frequently a famine for the frontal lobes, a movie of towering imagination and middling rewards.
    The movie exists only as a showcase for the animation technology known as hyperReal, a photo-realistic simulation of space, figure and movement that hopes to one day erase the line between animation and live action once and for all.
  3. The film's plot gets so convoluted no nongamer older than 14 will be able to follow it all.