Flight

7.2

1. Jan 17, 2013
    Flight is a very interesting movie because of the plot that presents; a pilot landed a plane that was falling in flames and save most of the people on it, but a blood test indicated that he was with a considerable percentage of alcohol in his blood. In this point the protagonist start living in a big contradiction, because he is a national hero, but also an alcoholic. That is why the storyFlight is a very interesting movie because of the plot that presents; a pilot landed a plane that was falling in flames and save most of the people on it, but a blood test indicated that he was with a considerable percentage of alcohol in his blood. In this point the protagonist start living in a big contradiction, because he is a national hero, but also an alcoholic. That is why the story moves between two worlds, in one he is a questioned pilot trying to defend his image; and in the other one he is immerse in drugs and liquor failing to acknowledge his problem. This theme of a protagonist facing to worlds is recurrent in the filmography of Robert Zemeckis, for example past versus future in Back to the Future; expectations about the world versus real world in Forrest Gump; and life in the island versus life in the civilization in Cast Away. In the same way of these mentioned pictures, the protagonist of Flight will enter in a rediscovery of himself, to finally become a new person, with no possibilities of returning to what he was before. Despite that the film is slow, Denzel Washington is great and Zemeckis did it again. Expand
  2. Nov 6, 2012
    This movie is okay. Since Robert Zemekis directed this, I thought that this would become an instant classic. It's only okay at best. Washington and Goodman definitely redeem the movie a bit since their acting is so great. Unfortunately, it wasn't even to put this up there with Forest Gump or The Green Mile.
  3. Feb 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I watched this movie because of Denzel Washington, and if only in his case, the reviews are true.
    Washington does a stellar job throughout the movie, and as is the case with most if not all movies he stars in, he practically makes the movie. The acting itself is actually quite good across the board, as is the writing, even if it does feel a bit stretched at times. I do hold one substantial complaint, however, that being the exception to both of the commendations above. In one scene, when Denzel Washington's character Whip goes to see his co pilot in the hospital, the writing and acting take an expected, yet nevertheless disappointing turn. Here, the already foreshadowed "crazy Christians" scene plays out, and the director attempts no subtlety. As both husband and wife stare with fury at Whip, they switch suddenly, like they just escaped an asylum, from anger to the resolute conviction of madmen as they state (paraphrasing) "the plane was pre-ordained to crash" and that they "prayed for it". All this is said by a slightly lowered camera with a light focused on a gaudy crucifix hanging above his bed. All as his wife, with a catatonic face chants "praise Jesus!" in a tone akin to a cultist. Now, I understand that there are many people who view life many other ways, and yes, I do believe we should tolerate all religions. However, I fail to see how making Christians look crazy is tolerant. Few if any prolific Hollywood directors would risk putting a scene featuring crazy Buddhists or crazy Zoroastrians, crazy.. pretty much any other religion in their movie, for fear of rightful outrage, and quite frankly, such a biased, one sided point of view not only shows either hatred or ignorance, but also runs a high risk of taking the viewer out of the movie, and placing them back in their seat scratching their head.
  4. Jan 29, 2013
    A very good drama about facing who we are, taking responsibility, and change to the right direction. Mr. Denzel Washington's acting was great. A little bit slow, but worth watching im my opinion.
  5. Nov 10, 2012
    A high quality drama with a great story that is a good break from the action flicks that dominate the market nowadays. Scenes that will be funny for some may be all too real for others. Denzel Washington does a fantastic job as usual. Definitely recommend.
  6. Nov 7, 2012
    Denzel's rock-solid here (yeah, yeah, what else is new). His performance, the story line, and the subtle message will be appreciated even more for those who have battled any addiction problems of their own. Would have reached a 9 in my book had Zemekis not chosen to portray evangelical Christians in a short scene I found insulting and laughably stereotypical.
  7. Nov 2, 2012
    As the movie begins you think you know where it is headed, but you (the audience member ) only really have a general sense of direction and you quickly learn that this screen play and director Robert Zemeckis have a much more involved journey planned. This film exfoliates like an onion to reveal much more of a surprise than you could have anticipated. For once the trailer isn't the bestAs the movie begins you think you know where it is headed, but you (the audience member ) only really have a general sense of direction and you quickly learn that this screen play and director Robert Zemeckis have a much more involved journey planned. This film exfoliates like an onion to reveal much more of a surprise than you could have anticipated. For once the trailer isn't the best part and it doesn't reveal "all of the good parts." There are a number of great performances by both known veteran actors like Denzel Washington and a bunch of lesser known actors as well. This movie is packed with twist for certain, but they aren't the kind of supernatural twist that are typically overloaded with a generous helping of hyperbole, not this movie is packed with realistic moments that people will be able to identify with. There will most certainly be some Oscar nominations from this film, including perhaps best screen play, best supporting actor and may be best director. Go see this film! Expand
  8. Nov 2, 2012
    An excellent movie with excitement, drama, and good story line. Denzel Washington is sure to receive an Academy nomination. The picture trailer only hints at the true story.
  9. Nov 4, 2012
    Flight... Ok, the movie is very interesting, have a trama that sounds interesting, the screenplay is really awesome, and the performance of Washington is really amazing. The problem with Flight, is that have some boring moments. But the movie is really fantastic.
  10. Nov 11, 2012
    This movie is allot better than the trailer. I love the story, big ass's, blow, and booze. GO watch it and you will not be disappointed. Denzel kicks ass.
  11. Dec 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a brilliant movie. I have read many good reviews by my fellow moviegoers so I won't share the thousands of reasons why this film is great but the kicker for me was Whip's scene while offering testimony at the decisive NTSB hearing. Most of us have a sense of how corporate and political machines work and we expect cover-ups as an almost routine way of doing business. Here's the spoiler: instead of taking the route laid out for him by his very bright lawyer, Whip graduates from villein to hero by telling them the unvarnished truth, for which he pays a very steep price but also finds a very a credible redemption. Denzel Washington, a screen idol of heroic proportions, strips away this facade to reveal a character with huge, even fatal flaws in a fearless performance. The work of John Gatins and Robert Zemeckis in this film is in the realm of pure genius. If you want to learn something about yourself and a good deal more about the human condition, don't miss this film. Expand
  12. Nov 7, 2012
    Flight is truly something to marvel. Denzel Washington is a hero here, not because his character in the movie landed a plane and was called a hero, but because his performance was a true act of heroism. Bravo.
  13. Nov 3, 2012
    This is probably the best performance of Washington's career. The story of his redemption is trite, but he plays it very well. The flight scenes are exciting. His portrayal of an alcoholic is realistic, and the ending is expected. He will surely be up for a best actor award.
  14. Nov 3, 2012
    I think this is Denzel's best performance in the movie Flight. I think he way out performed the character in the movie Training day, which he won the Academy award for a outstanding performance. I think this movie teaches us all a lesson in the consequences of being an alcoholic and substance abuse is a major problem in this country. I think everyone should get the message the movie wasI think this is Denzel's best performance in the movie Flight. I think he way out performed the character in the movie Training day, which he won the Academy award for a outstanding performance. I think this movie teaches us all a lesson in the consequences of being an alcoholic and substance abuse is a major problem in this country. I think everyone should get the message the movie was trying to express. What really got to me is he had saved so many lives on the defective plane, but there was alcohol and cocaine in his system, but he landed safely on ground with the exception of a few lives The fact he saved so many lives on board the plane, and at the end of the movie he still got sent to prison, for his drug and alcohol abuse. This movie is very serious, but still have humorous parts to laugh at. I also think this is Don C's best performance for supporting, the leading character, Denzel, a still definitely handsome and tall man, who dose not definitely look nowhere in his fifties. Denzel will never give up doing the movies, I love the most. Bravo performance, bravo. Expand
  15. Nov 3, 2012
    Flight was very good. Denzel was outstanding at portraying this morally confused pilot. John Goodman's character was so in control and entertaining. Everyone on the screen were spot on to make this film terrific. It makes you think about the choices you make everyday!
  16. Nov 4, 2012
    This movie held my interest throughout. The opening action scene is realistic. Bits of comic relief are welcome. Denzel Washington's performance is solid and believable as expected, as are all the performances. Overall this movie was entertaining and made for a nice evening's escape.
  17. Nov 6, 2012
    Didn't expect this movie to be to me outstanding. Some good funny humor. But kept it serious. Great story telling. Great direction. Great acting. Almost a three hour movie. But very much worth the watch.
  18. Nov 11, 2012
    Don't expect this movie to be about pilots, flying or the airline industry. It is a movie about an alcoholic, alcoholism and substance abuse. It's about the ensuing denial, effects on career, the enablers and the effect on friends and loved ones. That being said.....it is a good movie, and should be seen by all who have someone close to the affected by substance abuse.
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    Perhaps Flight is a little too long and may have one too many layers, but this does not stop it from being a very enjoyable experience. The film commences with the best crash sequence that I have seen and ends with one of the best performances of the year with Denzel Washington acting up a storm.
  20. BKM
    Nov 12, 2012
    Flight is, at its core, the story of a man struggling with alcoholism and the devastating course of events that have to play out in order for him to finally face the truth about himself. At the same time, it forces us to wrestle with our own notions of heroism as we must choose whether to root for or condemn the deeply flawed protagonist. The film wisely lets us draw our own conclusionsFlight is, at its core, the story of a man struggling with alcoholism and the devastating course of events that have to play out in order for him to finally face the truth about himself. At the same time, it forces us to wrestle with our own notions of heroism as we must choose whether to root for or condemn the deeply flawed protagonist. The film wisely lets us draw our own conclusions resulting in a sobering take on addiction and redemption fueled by Washington's spot on performance. Expand
  21. Nov 16, 2012
    This is a brilliantly written, directed, and acted film. I do feel sorry for people who wanted a plane crash movie and didn't get it. This is a film of depth and moral complexity for which there are no easy answers. Zemeckis direection is flawless--there's a stunning photographic moment late that is not a special effect. Denzel Washington tops all his previous work, and John GoodmanThis is a brilliantly written, directed, and acted film. I do feel sorry for people who wanted a plane crash movie and didn't get it. This is a film of depth and moral complexity for which there are no easy answers. Zemeckis direection is flawless--there's a stunning photographic moment late that is not a special effect. Denzel Washington tops all his previous work, and John Goodman and Melissa Leo are huge in small roles. Expand
  22. Nov 19, 2012
    I wanted to take a shower after this movie. The snorting, shooting up, drinking, more drinking, and general drug abuse is hard to watch. The acting and writing throughout is excellent, with especially noteworthy cameos from John Goodman as the drug pusher and James Badge Dale as a cancer patient. Denzel is solid throughout as he always is. The special effects (the plane crash) lookedI wanted to take a shower after this movie. The snorting, shooting up, drinking, more drinking, and general drug abuse is hard to watch. The acting and writing throughout is excellent, with especially noteworthy cameos from John Goodman as the drug pusher and James Badge Dale as a cancer patient. Denzel is solid throughout as he always is. The special effects (the plane crash) looked real and was intense. Overall I thought the movie was a little predictable, and was such a downer that it loses the repeatability factor - I have no desire to ever see it again. Expand
  23. Nov 20, 2012
    All I can say is that this is a great movie that EVERYONE should see. It challenges drug dependency, alcoholism, the definition of heroism, and personal accountability/honor all in a short 2 hour span. This was a great investment of my time, attention, and money! GO SEE IT
  24. Dec 23, 2012
    Flight may not be liked by many but let me tell you why I like this film. Denzel Washington gives one of his best performances, he is the sole reason why I decided to watch this film in the first place and I don't regret it at all. The direction is satisfying enough to keep the viewers interested in the film i.e. the first 30 minutes of the film show the plane crash which is exceptional, IFlight may not be liked by many but let me tell you why I like this film. Denzel Washington gives one of his best performances, he is the sole reason why I decided to watch this film in the first place and I don't regret it at all. The direction is satisfying enough to keep the viewers interested in the film i.e. the first 30 minutes of the film show the plane crash which is exceptional, I have never seen something like this before, it was too terrifying and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the sequence. After those 30 minutes, the 2 hour (almost) drama begins which passes by so quickly, you don't even realize (only if you are a fan of slow-paced drama films). And then, finally the ending, which is downright excellent, I pretty much hoped for an ending like this because without it, the film's message would not have been that clear. Washington's character Whip Whitaker finally accepts that he is a free man, he has no more lies to tell, he doesn't feel any burden or he doesn't have to carry all this throughout his remaining life.
    Whitaker is an unlikeable person, he is an alcoholic and he can't get enough of the booze and the cocaine but there comes a time when he realizes that lying about it would only make it worse since he's been lying about everything his whole life, not even his wife and his kid like him. Flight has an absolute message for every viewer: the message of acceptance, the message of "stop lying" and start telling what you really feel. What do you really want to say. Despite all these downsides, my sympathies were always with Whitaker because he really saved those people even when he was high and maybe that factor actually played its part by making him think of rolling the plane into an inverted position, who knows?
    A character-driven drama film with a phenomenal performance by Washington, strong supporting cast, great screenplay by John Gatins, and a wonderful direction by Robert Zemeckis who previously directed the two important films; an Academy award winning 1994 film Forrest Gump and a 2000 film Cast Away, both of which are excellent. Flight does not offer any action sequences or edgy moments after the plane crash but what it does offer is Washnigton's performance, the clever dialogues, and his characterization and depicts wonderfully how he's changed throughout the film. And it leaves you in a position where it's upto you that how do you want to think of his character, a hero or a criminal? A hero for saving 96 out of 102 people on the plane or a criminal for being so negligent and putting 102 people's lives at risk. You get to change your opinions about observing Whitaker's nature and his character throughout the story because of the things he do, his crazy drug addiction and finally, the decisions he make. This film may not be a strong Best Picture Oscar contender but it easily deserves a Best Actor nod for Washington's powerful performance.
  25. Nov 3, 2012
    Not oscar worthy in my opinion but a good movie. Makes you never want to take a drink ever again effectively. They just overdo it way too much. If someone drank that much they would of been dead of blood alcohol poisoning long before the storyline for this movie began.
  26. Nov 5, 2012
    I thought this was a good movie but not a great movie. It surely does not meet the hype given by some. Yes, Denzel does act for the first time in quite a while but he really does not stretch that much. Also, the scences of going from drunk to sober are greatly exaggerated for the convenience of the audience. The film never really confronts the reality of going from addiction to sobriety.I thought this was a good movie but not a great movie. It surely does not meet the hype given by some. Yes, Denzel does act for the first time in quite a while but he really does not stretch that much. Also, the scences of going from drunk to sober are greatly exaggerated for the convenience of the audience. The film never really confronts the reality of going from addiction to sobriety. Still, the movie is entertaining and one never gets bored. I was disappointed with the ending but I expected that from a big Hollywood film with a megastar with Denzel. This is not an Oscar film but is an enjoyable night out. Expand
  27. Nov 10, 2012
    This is one of the years best films. Not my favorite, but it keeps one interested the whole way through. Denzel Washington is at the top of his game. It is like he is not even acting, but actually is the role he portrays. I would be surprised if he wasn't nominated for best actor at the Academy Awards. Robert Zemekis has given us a film that is dramatic, sad, heart breaking, andThis is one of the years best films. Not my favorite, but it keeps one interested the whole way through. Denzel Washington is at the top of his game. It is like he is not even acting, but actually is the role he portrays. I would be surprised if he wasn't nominated for best actor at the Academy Awards. Robert Zemekis has given us a film that is dramatic, sad, heart breaking, and terrifying. I would have liked to seen more scenes with certain supporting characters, however Washington's performance helps one ignore that slight problem due to his power on the screen. Flight definitely soars. Expand
  28. Nov 14, 2012
    I wasn't exactly sure how excited to be over Flight. When I watched the trailer I knew that the most exciting part would happen fairly early on and would be pretty brief. I anticipated a lengthy investigation into Denzel's state of mind before and during the crash. What I didn't expect was a drawn out movie about alcoholism and addiction. Goodman provides some comic relief thankfully andI wasn't exactly sure how excited to be over Flight. When I watched the trailer I knew that the most exciting part would happen fairly early on and would be pretty brief. I anticipated a lengthy investigation into Denzel's state of mind before and during the crash. What I didn't expect was a drawn out movie about alcoholism and addiction. Goodman provides some comic relief thankfully and Don Cheadle always plays a really good tight wad. But some characters really bugged the hell out of me. The red haired woman was entirely unnecessary and the family dynamic wasn't fleshed out well. Still, it's worth the watch to see the nose dive Denzel takes both in the plane and metaphorically. Expand
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    Although there are some fairly disagreeable subject matter and pacing elements throughout it, "Flight" marks Robert Zemeckis's triumphant return to cinema, and yet another masterful performance from Denzel Washington.
  30. Dec 2, 2012
    A flawed genius with a moral dilemma set against the backdrop of incredible heroics, intertwined with people who may or may not support him, and handsomely portrayed by Denzel. OK, the movie has it's flaws, too, but at least it was less predictable and had a few more surprises than most of the junk out there. The most unrealistic aspect was that the media didn't find Whip as he flounderedA flawed genius with a moral dilemma set against the backdrop of incredible heroics, intertwined with people who may or may not support him, and handsomely portrayed by Denzel. OK, the movie has it's flaws, too, but at least it was less predictable and had a few more surprises than most of the junk out there. The most unrealistic aspect was that the media didn't find Whip as he floundered around at funerals, bars and the crash site. BTW a movie's title doesn't have to be a tell-all. Besides, "Flight" could certainly be metaphorical, too, in this story. I'd have liked a less tidy ending. He could've walked away to face his demons another way, leaving a more ambiguous moral resolution. But it was a good grown up movie without explosions and guns going off every two seconds. You could ask yourself what should he do, what will he do - what would I do? It was really enjoyable not to have a soundtrack that just thumped out what my emotional state was supposed to be all the time, there were several dramatic scenes with no background music at all. I'm not a fan of drugalcohol themes, but this was just a device here - at its core the story was about whether or not our good deeds can stand alone or are they diminished by our bad ones? Expand

1. Reviewed by: Chris Hewitt (1)
    Jan 28, 2013
    A welcome return to live-action filmmaking for Zemeckis, who hasn't lost his knack for a brilliant shot or for extracting great performances. It may not exactly be a first-class experience throughout, but there's nothing wrong with premium economy.
  2. The New Yorker
    Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 7, 2012
    We get tired of watching Whip fail, and we're caught between dismayed pity and a longing to see him punished. Only a great actor could have pulled off this balancing act. [12 Nov. 2012, p.94]
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Nov 4, 2012
    It may not be frivolously engaging but it is compelling.