8.3

1. BobK.
    Nov 17, 2009
    This is pretty scary stuff, really. Some big corporations come across as quite callous. Now I have a better understanding of why genetically-modified foods are politically (and not necessarily biologically) unhealthy.
  2. Jun 24, 2011
    "Food, Inc." certainly manages in its most important goal - to get people thinking. I for one, have definitely been deeply impacted by the film's message and it is quite nice to have a straight-out message presented in a documentary. We're in an age where everyone presents things in this medium, but either tries to manipulate its audience or dumb things down for them. "Food, Inc." has"Food, Inc." certainly manages in its most important goal - to get people thinking. I for one, have definitely been deeply impacted by the film's message and it is quite nice to have a straight-out message presented in a documentary. We're in an age where everyone presents things in this medium, but either tries to manipulate its audience or dumb things down for them. "Food, Inc." has struck a perfect balance between having a point and argument to itself, but also presenting the facts, ideas, and concepts behind it in a way that people can understand but that are not stripped down to their basics so they lose on weight (no pun intended here). Definitely highly recommended viewing - will most surely change the way you look at your food, just as the trailer promised. Expand
  3. Aug 14, 2010
    If I could have anyone watch one movie, this would be it. There is nothing in the world actually more important than food, and this documentary shows all the evils of big corporations, Monsanto, high fructose corn syrup, and the modern Western diet. In the wake of these evils, we have seen obesity, diabetes, and cancer skyrocket.

If you view this movie with an actual open mind, you will

If you view this movie with an actual open mind, you will never shop the same again.
  4. Feb 3, 2011
    Kenner's depiction of the dark, corrupted food industry emanates long before Spurlock's "Mc-bulge," detailing our food's source before it ever reaches our cabinets. What viewers discover, transcends the urge to eat, to such a degree that veganism doesn't seem half bad. The film speaks to the various emotive cognitions the American feels towards their diet, and the visceral tendencies theyKenner's depiction of the dark, corrupted food industry emanates long before Spurlock's "Mc-bulge," detailing our food's source before it ever reaches our cabinets. What viewers discover, transcends the urge to eat, to such a degree that veganism doesn't seem half bad. The film speaks to the various emotive cognitions the American feels towards their diet, and the visceral tendencies they have when feeling hungry. The result makes for a ponderous dose of speculation, and immanently-driven, self-willed investigations on unveiling the curtain that continues to obstruct and skew the origin of our food. A slice of steak never sounded so bad! Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2012
    Food, Inc. provides an atmosphere of horror because of simply a no-holds-barred reporting style that refuses to give out to corporate demands or audience fright, but it does manage to provide a happy ending.
  6. MCJ.
    Jul 20, 2009
    I was disappointed by this film. While it served as good viewing for people already familiar with Pollan and Schlosserhberg's writing on the subject, it was too disjointed for people new to the concepts to follow. I had hoped that this might have the same impact as Michael Moore's "Sicko" or Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth." Oh well.
  7. jaimel.
    Jul 17, 2009
    I thought this was a beautiful, digestible (ahem) companion piece to The Omnivore's Dilemma and Fast Food Nation. My one criticism would be the presentation of all arguments as indisputable, untouchable fact. Even so, if you don't have the slightest inkling that your food isn't completely clean (even the organic stuff) you are in denial. This should be required watching for I thought this was a beautiful, digestible (ahem) companion piece to The Omnivore's Dilemma and Fast Food Nation. My one criticism would be the presentation of all arguments as indisputable, untouchable fact. Even so, if you don't have the slightest inkling that your food isn't completely clean (even the organic stuff) you are in denial. This should be required watching for all Americans. Too bad its audience consists mostly of the already-convinced. Expand
  8. HankB.
    Nov 7, 2009
    A very interesting exposé about what happens in the industrial kitchen. I found this much more rewarding than most of the regular Michael Moore documentaries (Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bowling for Columbine). Hopefully, by giving this movie a higher rating, more Metacritic followers will likely be more interested in seeing this film. Be proactive!
  9. CareyH.
    Jun 13, 2009
    This movie was a long time coming. Regardless of all the critics' comments, the people behind this film deserve our gratitude and respect for trying to wake America up to the fact that these companies do not have our best interest at heart. It is time for our relationship with them and their relationship with the government to change.
  10. TDKinDallas
    Jun 28, 2009
    Warning: slight spoilers. Very informative, but not what I was expecting. I was expecting a lot more behind the veil stuff. Instead you are introduced to the veil and told that you are not allowed behind it. There should also have been more hidden camera stuff. The soybean part of the story and the marketing towards illegal immigrants are just a couple of the most shocking parts of the Warning: slight spoilers. Very informative, but not what I was expecting. I was expecting a lot more behind the veil stuff. Instead you are introduced to the veil and told that you are not allowed behind it. There should also have been more hidden camera stuff. The soybean part of the story and the marketing towards illegal immigrants are just a couple of the most shocking parts of the story to me. A lot of this movie needs to have separate documentaries done on each subject. Veggie libel laws...WTF? This is America isn't it. If you are looking for more behind the scenes at slaughterhouses then try Blood of the Beasts and Our Daily Bread. Expand
  11. MikeMike
    Jul 28, 2009
    The movie is disjointed and glosses over or skips completely most of the finer points. Viewers not familiar with the prinicpals' works will probably come away with just some vague dread of the industrial food monster instead of a scientific basis for a dread of said monster. That said, GO SEE THE MOVIE and then read the books. The information in the movie is critical even if the The movie is disjointed and glosses over or skips completely most of the finer points. Viewers not familiar with the prinicpals' works will probably come away with just some vague dread of the industrial food monster instead of a scientific basis for a dread of said monster. That said, GO SEE THE MOVIE and then read the books. The information in the movie is critical even if the presentation is lacking. Expand
  12. ArmondA.
    Jul 9, 2009
    This film gets most of its points just for having been made at all. Given the content, one tends not to think much about artistic merit. You're looking at a rather conventionally constructed documentary that shows a couple of fairly revolting scenes having to do with the "care", feeding, and slaughter of the food-animals produced by American Agri-business. It's hard to imagine This film gets most of its points just for having been made at all. Given the content, one tends not to think much about artistic merit. You're looking at a rather conventionally constructed documentary that shows a couple of fairly revolting scenes having to do with the "care", feeding, and slaughter of the food-animals produced by American Agri-business. It's hard to imagine anyone construing anything said about this movie as a "spoiler", but I'm avoiding mentioning certain specifics just so that you don't feel like you've already seen the movie when it's up on the screen in front of you. Let me predict that reaction to the film has a lot to do with your political beliefs. You'll like what you see, in the sense that you'll nod appreciatively, if you already know that we're in deep trouble, and you'll get very angry if you want to believe that Big Farma has YOUR health in mind when they sell you a Double Cheese, Double Meat, Whopper made with fresh-from-the factory meat, manure, and ammonia. If I have one bone to pick (pun intended) with the filmmaker it's about his seeming to imply that a small organic food company can start selling a large part of its product to the MegaGiganto Company (guess what their real name is) without finding out that the MG company now has them by the nuts and has no qualms about squeezing them. (The end result will not be peanut oil.) As Julia Child used to say, Bon Appetite!" Expand
  13. SarahC.
    Oct 23, 2009
    Excellent film, should be compulsory viewing for everyone - well done!
  14. JayH.
    Oct 28, 2009
    Eye opening documentary is extremely informative and very well researched. It can be very disturbing but at least it
  15. DebbieD.
    Jun 26, 2009
    I've got religion as they say, since I'm a new convert to veganism. I was very excited to see this movie, and I only wish it was required viewing for everyone who eats food (or an unreasonable facsimile thereof).
  16. TomG.
    Aug 12, 2009
    Fantastic movie, a must see!
  17. MMMM
    Dec 23, 2009
    Excellent yet disturbing look at the food industry - makes you question more how your food got to your plate, and makes you want to do something to improve it. I lost five pounds after watching it and eating more natural foods - I called it the "Food Inc" diet.
  18. Sep 19, 2010
    This should be required viewing for every American. Not only does it show the horrible way food is mass produced but also another example of just how broken our governmental system is.
  19. Apr 29, 2014
    Robert Kenner's movie is a perfect illustration of F. William Engdahl's book 'Seeds of Destruction', which explains how international agribusinesses are trying to monopolize vertically and horizontally (and profit from) food production on a world scale.

The world's food chain is built mainly on heavily subsidized and, therefore, cheap corn. In fact, all humans chew corn the whole day long from bread over meat (all animals are fed with corn) to deserts and drinks. Transnational corporations are even trying to learn fish to eat corn. Corn becomes nearly a food monoculture. A particular transnational company even developed through genetic engineering highly efficient corn seed which it patented, thereby creating a nearly seed monopoly. Buyers cannot use the produce of the seeds as plant seed for future harvests. The company's own inspection force controls with hawk eyes that its clients buy new genetically modified seed every year. Some of the company's supporters and former directors occupy key positions in US governments and government administrations (FDA).

The movie shows the disastrous effects of intensive farming on animals, as well as the health and environmental risks of diminished standards at livestock farming and slaughtering houses. Fortunately, some biological farmers show more respect for their animals and for their clients.

At the end of the movie, the makers give a perfect list of recommendations for those wishing to eat 'healthy' food.

This movie is a must see for all those who want to understand the world we live in.
  20. May 5, 2014
    Food, Inc. is really an eye-opening documentary about the food industry. It "lifts the veil", as the film phrases it, into the world of corruption, hiding, and clever trickery in packaging and advertising that these companies are involved in. We get a closer look at what were eating, where it's coming from, and how it's made, and the results are all too shocking. This is exploitationFood, Inc. is really an eye-opening documentary about the food industry. It "lifts the veil", as the film phrases it, into the world of corruption, hiding, and clever trickery in packaging and advertising that these companies are involved in. We get a closer look at what were eating, where it's coming from, and how it's made, and the results are all too shocking. This is exploitation filmmaking, except for all the right reasons. Maybe the food industry needed this; maybe it was about time someone stepped up to the plate. At times, this film can be more scary and nail-biting than the average horror flick, the difference being that this one uses the truth as its most powerful weapon. Expand
  21. Jwv
    Jan 28, 2014
    Food, Inc. starts off strong with a curious intro that raises some questions some of us may not have asked themselves before, questions relevant even if we are not customers in America. The rest of the movie also focuses on the particular American food-production ecosystem but is applicable just about anywhere else I believe.

Special props to the few intimates who stand up, and have the

Special props to the few intimates who stand up, and have the courage to voice their concerns, even in the face of financial destruction.

Food, Inc. is a wake-up call that ideally also wants viewers to react, because it gives a strong message that the companies are not the only ones culpable. The real problem of the documentary is how to move the customer from awareness to action, and in my opinion it did a very good job at this. The documentary switches between revealing and criticizing the corrupted system, and some inspirational stories of people who stood up and acted. In the end, I was certainly convinced of the impact of our daily decisions. It's good to see the makers correctly identified the root of the problem and take pains to influence it, instead of just focusing on the sensation that revealing malpractice brings.

"So every scope by the immoderate use / Turns to restraint. Our natures do pursue, / Like rats that ravin down their proper bane, / A thirsty evil; and when we drink we die."

1. The sheer scale of the movie is mind-blowing--it touches on every aspect of modern life. It's the documentary equivalent of "The Matrix": It shows us how we're living in a simulacrum, fed by machines run by larger machines with names like Monsanto, Perdue, Tyson, and the handful of other corporations that make everything.
  2. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    A civilized horror movie for the socially conscious, the nutritionally curious and the hungry.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Sietsema