Four Christmases

4.7

1. ChadS.
    Dec 4, 2008
    Blink and you may miss it; it being the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots in Brad's childhood room. Red robot. Blue robot. Red state. Blue state. Brad(Vince Vaughn) and Kate(Reese Witherspoon) grew up rooting for the red robot, but now they're backing the blue robot, ever since they left home to escape horrific childhoods that made them feel small. "Four Christmases" is a game Blink and you may miss it; it being the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots in Brad's childhood room. Red robot. Blue robot. Red state. Blue state. Brad(Vince Vaughn) and Kate(Reese Witherspoon) grew up rooting for the red robot, but now they're backing the blue robot, ever since they left home to escape horrific childhoods that made them feel small. "Four Christmases" is a game of Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, which disappointingly, ends in a muddling draw. At the outset, the blue robot brings it; he throws a few body blows to conservative ideology(Brad's brothers are named Denver and Dallas: two notably red state cities), knocking family values and the church into submission. But then, those twin pillars of Republican mind control receives its smelling salts by the red robot's trainer and rallies to rope-a-dope the blue robot. So the sparring match goes the distance, so it goes to the judges' decision. It's a draw. In Paul Thomas Anderson's "Punch-Drunk Love", Barry(Adam Sandler) survives a childhood marred by constant verbal(and perhaps, physical) abuse from his siblings, just like the Liberal Elitist in "Four Christmases", who was formerly known as Orlando. While the Sandler-Is-A-Serious-Actor vehicle never delves into the Emily Watson character's past, the audience can gauge that her childhood wasn't a particularly rosy one either, such was Kate's formative years, in which the fairer Liberal Elitist suffered the same low self-esteem issues at the hands of her family. Without realizing it, because they kept their "hick" pasts a secret, Brad and Kate are a perfect match. A "Punch-Drunk Love"-like storyline could have materialized, but it doesn't, because their trip to Fiji is thwared by fog(incidentally, Hawaii, the setting for Barry and Lena's vacation, gets a mention). In its place, echoes of Paul Schrader's "Affliction"(the final conversation between father(James Coburn) and son(Nick Nolte)) can be discerned as Brad talks to his hard-ass father(Robert Duvall) late in the film. "Four Christmases" is most convincing when the blue robot hits below the belt; then out of the blue, Kate's family suddenly becomes warmer and more nurturing at a new venue(her father's house), not soon after Kate's first confrontation with her sister(Kristen Chenowith) and mother(Mary Steenburgen), which ably explains why she hadn't returned home in years. Expand
  2. JamesH.
    Jan 20, 2010
    Decent Christmas movie, there are some funny scenes, some clunkers as well, but overall it was entertaining and it has a fine group of actors. The stars, Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn have a good chemistry, Sissy Spacek is great in a supporting role.
  3. JamesB.
    May 16, 2010
    Not very festive.
  4. ThadJ.
    Nov 27, 2008
    I don't know about the critics, but I laughed pretty hard.
  5. ErvG.
    Nov 29, 2008
    It was a very funny movie!!! The had a blast watching it and my girlfriend enjoy it too. Vince Vaughn steal the show!!! Some very funny familiar situations.
  6. LyleS.
    Nov 29, 2008
    I'm putting my two cents in because the score really is far from the truth. This is a decent movie and most of the people in the theatre enjoyed it. It's definitely not a must see, but it's painless and good for a few laughs. As long as you don't try and think too hard, this movie will entertain you and make you feel like it was 1.5 hours well spent.
  7. BillC.
    Nov 30, 2008
    C'mon , if you hate Vince Vaughn type of humor, than stay away. It's funny enough and packed with faces you'll recognise. Most of the humor is targeting the fact that we all have relatives we wish we could forget. The film was done for the jokes.Enjoy it for what it is because it as good if not better than most of what's out there.
  8. DebbieM.
    Dec 1, 2008
    This movie seemed like it would be cute for adults but there is a lot of adult sexual scenes and content. I had my 13 and 12 year old with me and we had to leave the movie about 50 min. into it as it was way too inappropriate. And that was after letting about 4-5 sexual comments, etc. slide. Their is also a Santa spoiler so parents beware on this one. It's sad to me that this is what This movie seemed like it would be cute for adults but there is a lot of adult sexual scenes and content. I had my 13 and 12 year old with me and we had to leave the movie about 50 min. into it as it was way too inappropriate. And that was after letting about 4-5 sexual comments, etc. slide. Their is also a Santa spoiler so parents beware on this one. It's sad to me that this is what the movie industry feels is appropriate for 13 year olds. Expand
  9. CollinJ.
    Dec 15, 2008
    Not bad, for a Christmas movie. the only thing keeping me from giving it a higher rating is the fact that this movie is a little too predicable.
  10. IanA.
    Dec 30, 2008
    I went with caution as most of the critics didn't really care for this movie but I have to say I thought it was really enjoyable. I thought Vaughn and Witherspoon were terrific together and I actually laughed out loud several times. It didn't deteriorate into the syrupy feel good crap either ... thank goodness. I honestly don't see why it received such bad reviews.
  11. AbbyL
    Nov 26, 2008
    I laughed. But I have a "cheap" jokes kind of humor. So naturally I thought it was funny.
  12. AaronL.
    Nov 26, 2008
    Nothing vince vaughn makes was ever funny, and Im skeptical how the last Christmas flick (fred clause) never got the bad grade it deserved, now that the reviewers have some sense, this movie takes all the bad things about the holiday flicks and exposes them for what they really are- A project to build up the funds.
  13. ND
    Nov 28, 2008
    Took my mom to it, she was excited about it, but not even she could get over how horribly disastrous this movie was. It was painful to watch the eye-rolling humor followed by quasi serious scenes of witherspoon and vaughn trying to act out life lessons learned. Terrible film.
  14. HansC.
    Nov 30, 2008
    Amazing that Christmas fare could have sunk this low. Better to stay home and watch a Christmas film from 50 years ago, rented from Netflix.
  15. Viki
    Dec 20, 2008
    Vince Vaugh and Reese Witherspoon makes the worst couple ever on screen, worse than 'The Breakup'. This movie is a typical xmas genre with spills and kills you'd expect from the trying to survive actor Vince Vaugh. Rent a movie at home.
  16. ChrisP.
    Dec 28, 2008
    If watching some nice guy who hasn't really done anything wrong, get the crap beaten out of him by his brothers in his dad's living room while his dad verbally abuses him strikes you as somehow funny, then you might enjoy this movie. I didn't find it funny, and sometimes found it a little upsetting, to be honest. The basic joke in most of the family scenes is: families push If watching some nice guy who hasn't really done anything wrong, get the crap beaten out of him by his brothers in his dad's living room while his dad verbally abuses him strikes you as somehow funny, then you might enjoy this movie. I didn't find it funny, and sometimes found it a little upsetting, to be honest. The basic joke in most of the family scenes is: families push your boundaries in inappropriate ways, causing embarrassment. Only, that's not intrinsically funny, it has to be made funny by some kind of wit or twist or surprise, which as far as I can tell is lacking here. The main characters are urban yuppies who don't want to get married or have kids, and maybe you're supposed to hate them, hate them with such a passion that seeing them turned into emotional (and sometimes physical) punching bags is really enjoyable for you, and maybe you're supposed to believe that the urge to marry and have kids is so natural that it will overcome people eventually if they're just exposed to other people's families for a day. Or maybe it's just that the script was put together by four credited writers, and who knows how many uncredited ones, and it just really didn't come together. But if you want to watch comedy about family over the Christmas break, you're better off renting the first two seasons of Arrested Development. Infinitely so. Expand
  17. MitchA.
    Dec 3, 2008
    Great holiday film. Vaughn and Witherspoon are a delightful comedic duo to say the least. Hilarious!
  18. ToniW.
    Dec 6, 2009
    Very Funny!!!!
  19. Rick
    Nov 26, 2008
    This movie is so bad that you will feel you're degrading yourself if you haven't walked out of the theater before an hour has passed. If this is what passes for holiday fare these days, we should feel no loss if Babylon should be destroyed in the next earthquake/mudslide/firestorm.
  20. TankJ.
    Dec 11, 2008
    The movie seems unfinished...almost like the edited it to get it under 90 minutes. Anyway, very few funny moments. This movie is horrible.
  21. Dec 31, 2012
    soooo baaaaaaad. Boring boring boring boring. Predictable as hell. Uninspired acting. Boring script. Cheesy 1 dimensional characters. Pointless beyond all belief. Visually hideous. I have not been this completely and utterly annoyed by a film since Cat Woman.
  22. Oct 20, 2013
    I'm a big fan of both Witherspoon and Vaughn together onscreen and I definitely love Four Christmases. It was charming, very funny, much more different than any classic holiday movie like "Jingle All The Way" or "Elf." But if I spend my four christmases together when Thanksgiving is over maybe it's the best time to unwrap presents early.
  23. Sep 2, 2012
    Okay lets begin. The movie's first lets say 15 minutes was okay the rest dreadful and painful. The movie went into low gear after 20 minutes and stayed there the rest of time. Almost feel asleep.
  24. Sep 2, 2012
    This movie sucked. There was nothing good about it. I actually fell asleep because it was that terrible. How does this even pass as a Christmas movie. Disappointed.
  25. Nov 15, 2012
    It's an absolute bore. We've got a bunch of good people working off a sucky script, and that always leads to bad stuff.
  26. Nov 13, 2013
    Four Christmases.
    A very unoriginal concept with very poor writing. The laughs are prevalent but not amazing, and the characters are over the top and unbelievable.
  27. Dec 19, 2015
    Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn star in this unfunny Hollywood rom-com, they try to make this work but they can't because the script is flat, desperately unfunny, lame, obscene lazy rom-com. An unmarried couple Brad (Vince Vaughn) and Kate (Reese Witherspoon plan a Christmas vacation at Fiji, because they don't want to spend the holidays with their crazy families so they are forced toReese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn star in this unfunny Hollywood rom-com, they try to make this work but they can't because the script is flat, desperately unfunny, lame, obscene lazy rom-com. An unmarried couple Brad (Vince Vaughn) and Kate (Reese Witherspoon plan a Christmas vacation at Fiji, because they don't want to spend the holidays with their crazy families so they are forced to spend their Christmas with their families at once. We don't get any character development, don't know about the characters there just there, don't know anything about their jobs or them as a character. But it's charming. Vaughn tries too hard to be funny, he can be funny but with a clever script this one ain't it, Witherspoon in this film is nagging shrew. 2.75/4 stars Expand
  28. Dec 12, 2015
    Truly unfunny comedy; a complete waste of the excellent cast's talents. Vince Vaughn is not as bad as he usually is but the script is atrocious. IT took four people to write this crap?
  29. Feb 25, 2016
    There were some really funny parts in this movie! Great watch during the holidays.

Watch it here for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-18049-Four-Christmases-online-free

1. Bad enough to create one of the most joyless Christmas movies ever, but then to go for an unearned feel-good ending adds insult to injury.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Oddly misanthropic, occasionally amusing but thoroughly cheerless holiday attraction that is in no way a family film.
  3. Vaughn delivers every line with his usual deadpan glibness, which suits the part. But I smiled as I watched the big-bellied, multi-chinned actor connecting with the porcelain, model-thin Witherspoon.