7.5

1. May 21, 2013
    This is my second consecutive Noah B. movie starring Greta Gerwig which just fell flat for me. Sure, it's somewhat real, it's clever, and urbane, but it's also very catty, nasty, and trendy. I chuckled twice in the movie, but didn't fully laugh once. I wanted to like it and laugh more, but the movie didn't pull it out of me.
  2. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you want to relive your 20's something screaming scenes that involve either yourself or watching your roomies, friends, lovers, ex-lovers, or maybe lovers about paying the rent...go ahead & enjoy...I did not. One of the very, very few movies that I have walk out on. Expand
  3. Jun 20, 2013
    A big disappointment. I wanted to like it, but I couldn't. Frances is terribly self-absorbed and oblivious to the feelings of those around her. Up until the last five minutes, every chance she has to make a decision, she make a bad one. That isn't realism to me; in real life we make a mixture of good decisions and bad ones. Only the ending, where she finally wakes up, saved the movie from being a complete disaster.

I saw this with our weekly movie group, and none of us gave it thumbs up.
  4. Jun 3, 2013
    This movie could have been a good story about an almost 30-year old trying to find herself. Or about how infantile this generation is. Could have. The potential is there. But it is not. With a notable exception of a few funny lines, it left me bored, looking at my watch and mentally scratching my head why on earth it got critic reviews so high...
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    The movie is only 86 minutes long and yet after the combination of being bored to death and listening to one of the most irritating characters in movies this year, it felt like 186 minutes. The movie seemed to rely on the quirkiness of the main character, which faded very quickly.
  6. Jun 16, 2013
    This movie attempted to live completely by the quirky nature of its main character. Unfortunately for me, she was quite unsuccessful as a person, in a career, and somewhat boring after the first two or three quirks. I rank it as a movie that the critics give high points for an attempt to be different and uncommercial. This movie did not ring my bell in any way.
  7. Dec 29, 2013
    Worst "critically acclaimed" film of the year.
    I walked out, which I haven't done in a very long time. The last one was "Greenberg"...
    ok, so maybe there's a pattern...
  8. Aug 26, 2014
    Frances is an "apprentice" dancer - which is hard to believe since she is very ungainly. Apart from "dancing" she never worked a real job in her life. Frances shares an apartment with BFF Sophie, in a sort of a "celibate" lesbian relationship (at least, from Frances' side).

Both girls have boyfriends, but Frances has no problem with dispassionately dumping hers, when he proposes she
    moves in with him. Unfortunately for Frances, Sophie actually moves in with her man, Patch. Frances, feeling hurt and betrayed (more strong lesbian vibes) cannot pay rent and moves in with another couple of slackers. Then she gets "temporarily" sacked from the dance company she works for and "sort of" runs out of money.

This does not stop her from flying to Paris for a weekend and from refusing a job as a "mere" accountant, which would not fulfil her artistic delusions. She meets with Sophie and Patch and comes to terms with them getting married. In the end, Frances accepts the "normal" job and moves into her own apartment, while maintaining her status as "undateable".

Shot in black & white, by director Baunbach, the movie tries and fails miserably to look like a mix of French nouvelle vague (specifically Jules & Jim) and early Woody Allen (specifically Manhattan).

Gerwig plays Frances as a lethargic young woman, lacking elegance and discipline, which presumably are needed for such a competitive and physical profession. Sophie is played by one of Sting's children and one of Streep's daughters plays another dancer, completing the cast of VIPs. Neither shines, but I guess being mediocre actresses will not hurt their careers.

Baumbach and Gerwig were (still are? Really don't care) a couple during the filming. Actress/director relationships usually produce mediocre movies, and this is just another one to add to the list.
  9. Oct 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How have so many people enjoyed this movie? I thought it was poorly acted, predictable, then unbelievable all at once. I had no empathy whatsoever for Frances, who was annoying, if not depressing, to watch. There's no story here, really. So she ends up as a choreographer for a pretty embarrassingly bad dance scene at the end of the movie? Who cares? I wanted her to give up on her dream 20 minutes into the movie. What's the message here: we should all get sentimental over mediocrity? There were no depth to the characters, either. So surprised this came from Noah Baumbach! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Aug 3, 2013
    If films were gestures, this one would be a perfectly timed shrug, with the smile to match.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hughes
    Jul 22, 2013
    Although the monochrome photography will invite comparisons with Manhattan, Frances Ha is closer in spirit to Godard than Woody Allen. Anchored by a charming performance from Greta Gerwig, it’s as light and breezy as a walk in Central Park, and just as refreshing.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jul 19, 2013
    Charming, poignant and often very funny, Baumbach and Gerwig’s latest collaboration is a joyous portrait of an unformed personality that should strike chords of recognition in all who watch it.