7.3

1. Jun 26, 2014
    one of the most weird , creative director tim burton presents " Franken weenie " . the movie presents it self in a creative weird way like most of his creepy animated movies like ( Corpses bride and nightmare before christmas.) but in the best way it has a very amazing imagination and good screenplay. Grade A+
  2. Aug 26, 2013
    I'll be honest saying that I went into this movie, expecting not to like it. I've never been a fan of the monochrome approach (still not.) But Frankenweenie took every classic cliche in the book, and reused them in the most creative ways imaginable. This is just another boy and his dog movie, and more or less follows the traditional formula of this plot to the letter. But it seems to relish in it's own unoriginality, and, ironically, that is what makes it original.

Overall: While it is everything you can expect, it also throws allot of those ideas at you in creative ways. This is what makes it entertaining. I really enjoyed myself watching this movie and can recommend it to anyone.
  3. Aug 13, 2013
    While the film does not offer much in terms of characters and story it’s a nice film to show your kids. While I wish the film had offered something a bit more unique we still got a decent flick. Where the film lacks in characters and story it makes up for it with a creepy tone and awesome character designs. If you want something cute and creepy to show your kids then I’d say check this movie out. If you want something more original I’d say skip and go check out Paranorman which has a more original story. While this film has a fantastic presentation its characters and story are not very original. Expand
  4. Aug 10, 2013
    I love Burton’s stop motion animation style; it really suits this type of tale. The fact it was in black and white was also a bonus for me; it made it look like the early horror films, many of which are referenced here. I also like that he made Mr. Rzykruski look an awful lot like Vincent Price; he was an early horror movie hero of mine. I haven’t seen the earlier 1984 film and so cannot make a comparison with that but I did like what I saw. Definitely well worth a watch for any horror fan; or even if you just want to be entertained; it’ll do that too!

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.7/10.
  5. Aug 2, 2013
    Frankenweenie is reminiscent of the creepy charm of The Nightmare Before Christmas but it doesn't quite live up to the glory of that film Although good and creative and at many times funny Frankenweenie is lacking on a couple fronts largely being that it has some qualities that are stereotypical of a Frankenstein parody. However the film is beautifully tied together by Elfman's score and is certain to satisfy any fan of Burton's work which is great considering some of Burton's other recent films have been a bit lacking. Expand
  6. Jul 4, 2013
    I love Tim Burton, but this film isn't worthy of the ratings that it has been given. The film is somewhat likable but I have to say, Tim Burton wil eventually end up like Adam Sandler, he made some great movies before (Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman [1989]) then he made some good or okay movies (Dark Shadows, 9) and now we have "Frankenweenie." For Tim Burton, this film seems like bottom of the barrel, he can do so much better than this. I didn't like "Frankenweenie," not just because I know that Tim Burton can do so much better, but the film just wasn't all that good. Expand
  7. Jul 4, 2013
    "Frankenweenie" does fall short when it comes to storytelling, but it's emotion between the main characters Victor and Sparky that truly makes this film shine.
  8. May 28, 2013
    As a fan of Tim Burton, I was looking forward to Frankenweenie, but when I saw it, I hate to admit that I was unfortunately disappointing. The movie was good enough to keep me awake, but it just wasn't good, at all. It did have an interesting premise, but I didn't care about the characters, the movies script is a little on the generic side and it just BORED me to death. I seriously did not like the movie, at all. And I know that people are going to give me heat for giving such an overrated movie a 4 out of 10, but it's my review. I just personally hated the movie, but I won't give it a negative rating because the acting was actually legitimately good, but other than that, the movie was not enjoyable, AT ALL. By far, Tim Burton's worst film. I don't know why its so overrated. Expand
  9. Apr 28, 2013
    I loved this movie! From the stop-motion animation, to the classic Tim Burton atmosphere, to the great references to Universal Horror Classics and other cornerstones of the horror genre. This was my favorite animated film of 2012, and one of my favorite films of that year overall. If you like classic horror and Burton's quirkiness, this is among the best he has to offer!
  10. Mar 23, 2013
    If there is any Tim Burton films out there, there is few Tim Burton films out there that can beat Frankenweenie, only Corpse Bride can defeat this fun and emotional movie. I saw this on DVD and I tell you, this will be better than you will expect. I can honestly say, if Frankenweenie and Paranorman fought to see who is better, I bet my money on Frankenweenie. This is one of those few films where men can cry at a film in the cinema. Expand
  11. Mar 16, 2013
    Frankenweenie could have explored more plot points and made better use of its supporting characters. However, these are small critcisms. The overall film is beautiful, emotionally intense, and has a lot of charm.
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    Tim Burton is so hit or miss and with Frankenweenie the best you can say is that at least he's not adapting another remake. This was a decent film, but it's not the Nightmare Before Christmas.
  13. Mar 9, 2013
    Several counts of animal cruelty, malformed-looking characters and a storyline that is unsuitable for kids yet "designed" for them regardless makes Frankenweenie a terrible movie, one that never should have seen the light of day. Shooting it in black and white doesn't help and the voice-acting feels unnatural. I'm kind of surprised Disney put its name under it.
  14. Feb 28, 2013
    a black and white animation? WTF? b/c they wanted it to be noir? i'm sure children appreciate that. stupid movie, waste of time from a one trick pony of a director.
  15. Feb 23, 2013
    A fast paced creepy delight. Tim Burton and Danny Elfman do wonders together. The movie is neither complicated nor boring and is something that everyone can enjoy.
  16. Feb 2, 2013
    Definitely a film for your pre-teen, nothing in it for adults, in fact, the signature line in it "Sometimes adults don't know what they're talking about" is what kids suspected all along. I feel sorry for all the parents whose young kid now wants to bring their dead pet(s) back to life with lots of electricity.
  17. Jan 29, 2013
    Tim Burton deve essere stato un ragazzino molto solo e i suoi film pullulano di giovani maschi impegnati a fare i conti con un mondo su cui non sono sintonizzati. Questo vale anche per il Victor Frankenstein di
  18. Jan 25, 2013
    Frankenweenie was a interesting and different type of animated movie. I was surprised that the choice of black and white instead of color worked as well as it did. The animations and art style were well done, unique, and had the Tim Burton feel. The story was a little sad, but the theme (Frankenstein) helped soften the blows.
  19. Jan 24, 2013
    Frankenweenie is the best animated movie from Tim Burton of all time, because apart from the typical gothic-expressionist environment and characters, we see that science is in between. First we have the signature character of this director, who in this case is a misunderstood boy without friends, although here is expanded to other people of the story, unlike most of Burton pictures. In addition to Victor, there is Elsa (animated Winona Ryder), Mr. Rzykruski (animated Vincent Price), Edgar, Weird Girl, Toshiaki, Bob and Nassor; all these characters are very well physically constructed and have a defined personality. Second, the vision of the science that brings Tim Burton to the plot is awesome, and it is defined by two things that are said by Mr. Rzykruski: people like what science gives them but not the questions that science asks; and, science is not good or bad, but it can be used in both ways. Third, the idea of gothic mixed with science gives the film a fresh air and it is reflected in the moment when the other boys have their experiments. The thing here is that with these series of creatures, we notice the different approaches to science: love of Victor, ignorance of Edgar, over-confidence of Toshiaki, superiority of Nassor, fear of Bob and accident of Weird Girl. Other great things on this movie are the use of Frankenstein elements and the outstanding application of camera, in the picture are noticeable transitions from one images to another, flip over (360 turn) and the famous vertigo effect, formed by simultaneously dolly in and zoom out. Tim Burton could have a perfect film, but the end should be different. Expand
  20. Jan 18, 2013
    What an UNORGINAL idea!! Take an old idea from a horror movie, shoot it in black and white, make it boring and you have "Frankenweenie" Stay way from this movie!
  21. Jan 13, 2013
    Frankenweenie is a joyful, weird, funny, and sweet film. It isn't really a story with depth, but it certainly is Burton's best film he has made in the last few years even if it is a bit disappointing. I give this film 68%.
  22. Jan 12, 2013
    Stop-motion animation never looked this good! Going with Black & White realy ads to the charming look of this hartwarming film. The voice actors realy bring their A-game and the character animation is so good you sometimes almost forget it's top motion. The movie is a lighthearted fresh take on the Frankenstein story but with many cool references to other pop culture films. Unfortunatly it didn't do loads of business at the boxoffice but it's a film that's not realy targeted at the largest possible audience but more at people who love cult films. Expand
  23. Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Burton always surprises me with his vision and unique ideas. Frankenweenie is a very different, emotional and a meaningful film, it has the strong message which is meant to be delivered to viewers of all ages as it discusses the emotional attachment, the utilization of science and the jealousy. The film is about a boy named Victor whose dog 'Sparky' dies in an accident and then he brings Sparky back to life through science. The whole concept and plot of the film pays a direct homage to Frankenstein and it has been incorporated properly, just the right amount was needed and Burton did a great job. Animation is really, really amazing, I have never watched a black and white animation before and this was a new experience for me which proved to be really great. Voice acting is wonderful as always, the accents have been used in a real manner especially Toshiaki's accent, which made me laugh throughout the film. The major reasons why I'm giving it 8 marks are its freshness, originality and Burton's hard work. This is definitely a strong contender for awards season as it has already won so many critics awards and I wouldn't be surprised if it also wins the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature because it totally deserves it. Expand
  24. Nov 25, 2012
    This movie was great, had a great story & had all of the great Tim Burton style everyone is used to. While the whole film is in black & white, the story & concept of the film & characters make you completely forget about that. This movie has some great plot twists & one of the more interesting but good concepts for a movie. The only really disappointing part was a pretty weak and/or expected ending that almost anyone can see coming, but up until the last couple minutes of the film, this is a great movie. Expand
  25. Nov 17, 2012
    I say that is a great animated movie.I think it'll be nominated to the Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature.The kids want to plagiarize the Victor's ''science project''?I don't know.
  26. Nov 3, 2012
    Tim Burton is always good when he enters in mainstream area, I find Alice in Wonderland was good. Frankenweenie was exceptional, black and white stop-motion animation with entertaining premise and spectacular 3D. Oh, Burton you so much win!
  27. Nov 2, 2012
    Long live Whiskers the cat! Loved that character! Sometimes Burton's comedies aren't funny enough. No problem with Frankenweenie. I laughed a lot. The stop motion animation is first rate. The story is clever, especially when the animals get morphed together. I like the decision to make it in black and white. Good enough for repeated viewings, so I will be purchasing the blu ray when it's released. This is my favorite Burton film since the underrated "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". Expand
  28. Nov 2, 2012
    After watching the trailer i was afraid that a wonderful story had been ruined because of the other kids but in the end, it turned out i loved all of their characters.They all had likable personalities and i was excited to see what monster each of them would create. Tim Burton has done it again and created a masterpiece that is great for all ages!
  29. Oct 25, 2012
    With its anti-intellectualism critique, classic horror film homages and beautiful production design, Frankenweenie is a great film for adventurous young audiences.
  30. Oct 15, 2012
    Burton's best film since 1994's Ed Wood or even 1990's Edward Scissorhands. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Carrie-2013-has-hemorrhoids-/154149308058300
  31. Oct 15, 2012
    Frankenweenie is just in time for the Halloween season! I absolutely adored the animation, the storyline, and the outcome. T. Burton is has definitely made a rebound from Dark Shadows!! Frankenweenie is probably going to be the first animated movie I'll purchase on Bluray once it's available for purchase.
  32. Oct 14, 2012
    Great film! It has the tenderness of Manostijeras, is than macabe like Bitelchús and than original like Nightmare. Great autorreferencial work, is full of tributes to the movies that comprise of the imaginarium of this genial author.
  33. Oct 9, 2012
    Tim Burton, you are the MAN!!! Franknenweenie is the greatest film of this year and of the decade, he has crafted this treat by throwing away Helena and Johhhhny deppp and and and and CHrsiwsatopher. HE has gone dark for the first time, its scary. He likes black.
  34. Oct 7, 2012
    Burton poured his heart and soul into this movie, and it shows. "Frankenweenie" is an entertaining, and emotionally resonant film that is a true return to form for Tim Burton. Although the plot is not seamless, this movie is appropriately atmospheric, meticulously detailed, and is filled with strange, quirky characters. A perfect movie for this time of year, "Frankenweenie" can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike. Expand
  35. Oct 6, 2012
    Yeah,the old Tim Burton is back with his best movie since Sweeney Todd.Frankenweenie is visually beautiful and very emotional,I have to say that what he done in Dark Shadows is forgiven here
  36. Oct 5, 2012
    This was a great family film, appropriate for all ages. It was artistically laid out, but at the same time the animation and characters had that aesthetically predictable Burton style; yet I was anticipating this (as I'm sure most others seeing this would be), so prepare to be pleased if you enjoy Burton's style. The moral of the story was great, and there were a lot of funny and heart-felt moments. Overall a great, quirky film! Collapse
  37. Oct 5, 2012
    Frankenweenie. One of my favorite animated movies of this year, I think that is fresh, original -yes I know that the movie is based on the Tim Burton's short-, the movie is really interesting, the development of the story is funny, and yes I think that is one of the best movies of this year.

1. Reviewed by: Angie Errigo
    Oct 15, 2012
    Very sweet, very funny, really quite touching and exquisitely handmade, by a film lover with humour and a heart, for a like-minded audience.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Oct 12, 2012
    It's a likable film, though not a sensational development in Tim Burton's career.
  3. Reviewed by: Claudia Puig
    Oct 7, 2012
    Frankenweenie is a love story between a boy and his dog. It is also a beautifully crafted homage to classic horror films, a study of grief and a commentary on the mysteries of science and those who narrow-mindedly fear its advances.