7.2

1. Jul 22, 2013
    This is likely my favorite film. I love Kevin Klein as a Frenchman! (Knowing that he is not just makes his part more funny.) This was one of Meg's last great films. I just love this story! The situation that the characters are thrust into, putting them in a working relationship to accomplish common personal ends, lends to their falling in love and is very comical as well. There are someThis is likely my favorite film. I love Kevin Klein as a Frenchman! (Knowing that he is not just makes his part more funny.) This was one of Meg's last great films. I just love this story! The situation that the characters are thrust into, putting them in a working relationship to accomplish common personal ends, lends to their falling in love and is very comical as well. There are some very heart-tugging moments to which I can relate, as I have married a European man, myself (when she visits his home, for instance). The Euro-American(-Canadian?) relationship is portrayed very well. They find their dream, at the last. Expand

The caper isn't as passionate as the title suggests—in fact, it's facile—but Ryan and Kevin Kline, as her attractive opposite, are irresistible together.
    Kline's Frenchman is somehow not worldly enough, and Ryan's heroine never convinces us she ever loved her fiance in the first place. A movie about this kind of material either should be about people who feel true passion or should commit itself as a comedy. Compromise is pointless.
    The delicate air of romance that often makes this sort of film worthwhile is absent. French Kiss does it by the numbers, not from the heart.