Friday the 13th

6.3

1. Nov 26, 2011
    Okay, for the record, I have a soft spot for Friday the 13th movies. Jason is my favorite slasher from the 80's. So hearing that they were going to remake the Friday movies got me hyped, a lot. Perhaps a little too much though, as when I left the movie theater, I was a bit disappointed. Now I own the movie on Blu-ray so that disappointment didn't last long. If you liked the otherOkay, for the record, I have a soft spot for Friday the 13th movies. Jason is my favorite slasher from the 80's. So hearing that they were going to remake the Friday movies got me hyped, a lot. Perhaps a little too much though, as when I left the movie theater, I was a bit disappointed. Now I own the movie on Blu-ray so that disappointment didn't last long. If you liked the other Friday sequels like part 4, then you will probably like this movie. It's cheesy, slasher fun, full of obnoxious **** that need a good axe to the face. Enough said. Expand
  2. Sep 11, 2010
    It's more effective than the previous horror films: The Final Destination, Prom Night or any cheap horror movie. It's very actable and horrifying..........................
  3. HarleyS.
    Feb 28, 2009
    This was the first R rated movie I've seen, and I must say it was great. I enjoyed the original, and this was a great reimagining of it. There's plenty of breasts, gore and intense moments sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.
  4. Terrman
    Feb 23, 2009
    Now that's entertainment! This movie starts off by despaching all the characters with amazing style in the first 15 minutes - OK, damn short movie, but cool... Well that just setup the plot for the rest of the film which was a blast in the best of the slasher-movie sense. Full-on fun.
  5. Apr 20, 2013
    Why do people say in many horror remakes "This isn't as bad as Friday the 13th remake." What is it about this one that is so terrible? I watched all 11 Jason movies and this REBOOT, not remake. If this was a remake, then Jason wouldn't be in this one. Anyways, what I hear most is "The guy doesn't even look like Jason Voorhees." Let's describe him shall we, this was before he was a zombieWhy do people say in many horror remakes "This isn't as bad as Friday the 13th remake." What is it about this one that is so terrible? I watched all 11 Jason movies and this REBOOT, not remake. If this was a remake, then Jason wouldn't be in this one. Anyways, what I hear most is "The guy doesn't even look like Jason Voorhees." Let's describe him shall we, this was before he was a zombie so we're looking at Part 2-4. He has a disfigured head, wears a sack on his head till he gets a hockey mask, and he carries a machete. In the remake, he looks just like that. "The other characters are stupid and are meant to die." Guys, did you even watch the other movies...in fact, have you seen any slasher movies? Every character in the Friday the 13th movies are all disposable for Jason to kill, except the main character. This takes place in Crystal Lake, just like the original movies. Jason takes his time killing people, just like the original movies. Most importantly, Jason didn't die. Do I have to mention about the original movies again? What is it about this movie that pissed people off and say its the worst remake. It didn't copy and paste anything and it wasn't anything different from the original movies. What I saw was a Friday the 13th movie. Expand
  6. Jul 2, 2012
    So it's not everyone's cup of tea, it' not the best story line, but it is rememberable... Jason Voohees has got to be one of the best horror characters ever invented! It's genius, it's legendary, it's Friday The 13th!
  7. SamA
    Feb 13, 2009
    I came into this not expecting a whole lot but I was happily suprised as to how good this movie is. I don't understand why the critics are saying the kills are not unique. They are phenonal! There were kills in this movie that i've never seen before and i watch a lot of horror movies. The acting wasn't great but padalecki and righetti as the leads were very good as well as I came into this not expecting a whole lot but I was happily suprised as to how good this movie is. I don't understand why the critics are saying the kills are not unique. They are phenonal! There were kills in this movie that i've never seen before and i watch a lot of horror movies. The acting wasn't great but padalecki and righetti as the leads were very good as well as ms. panabaker. The rest served their purpose. Mears as Jason was among the best to ever play him. The visuals were specatcular and I was very impressed with the whole movie. The beginning was awesome and grabbed my attention and held throughout the whole thing. Nispel did a great job directing and a horror movie has to be pretty good for me to take the time to post a review b/c most of the newer horror movies and remakes have been terrible, I love the Halloween movies more than any other but this was much better than the halloween remake and I really liked what Rob Zombie did with that film but Friday the 13th was much better. I encourage everyone to go and see this movie and decide for themselves. It will satisfy causual horror fans as well as friday the 13th fans. Expand
  8. kwont.
    Feb 13, 2009
    this movie was fun to watch! even though it was 2 hrs. long, this film kept me interested all the way to the end! The kill scenes were good, every last one of them , reminds me of the campy-grindhouse trailers.
  9. RovertN
    Feb 14, 2009
    Welcome back to Crystal Lake in a chilling re-imagining of the classic horror film. Searching for his missing sister, Clay Miller heads up to the eerie woods of legendary Crystal Lake. Against the advice of police and cautions from the locals, Clay pursues what few leads he has in the search for his missing sister, Whitney, with the help of Jenna, a young woman he meets among a group of Welcome back to Crystal Lake in a chilling re-imagining of the classic horror film. Searching for his missing sister, Clay Miller heads up to the eerie woods of legendary Crystal Lake. Against the advice of police and cautions from the locals, Clay pursues what few leads he has in the search for his missing sister, Whitney, with the help of Jenna, a young woman he meets among a group of college kids up for an all-thrills weekend. But they are all about to find much more than they bargained for. Little do they know, they've entered the domain of Jason Voorhees. Expand
    Feb 21, 2009
    I thought this movie was actually quite enjoyable, much more than the earlier ones that were so bad they were almost comedies, this jason film brings him back with more then just shock and awe, but with an attitude and the real reason to see it isn't just for the nostalgia, it's for slasher film fans to remember why they loved seeing flasher films in the first place.
  11. jason
    Feb 23, 2009
    Something needs to be made clear. This really is not a horror movie. Jason movies never really have been. Your more likely to hear cheers from the audience than screams. If you want to see oversexed potheads die in fun and interesting ways than you'll enjoy this movie. If you came for giggles you'll enjoy this movie. If you came for fear you will be sorely disappointed. Q.E.D.
  12. BobH>
    Mar 3, 2009
    I went to this movie thinking it was going to be terrible and I was wrong. It was surprisingly well-done (not like that poor excuse of a movie "Prom Night") and well-paced. The acting was typical horror movie acting (in other words, not oscar -worthy by all means). But in the end the movie delivers.
  13. KevinM.
    Mar 7, 2009
    True, the new Friday the 13th movie wasn't any different from the other ones other than more sex and gore, but that's why I had so much fun watching this.
  14. JasonP
    Feb 13, 2009
    This remake is more create and innovative aside from the older films and creates a scary and suspencful atmosphere. Jason is far different in "personality" than the last movies and acts more human and insane than before. There are things that I would've liked to change, but in general this is a great movie for pure entertainment. Plus an amazing ending.
  15. caseyn
    Feb 13, 2009
    Down to the basics of a horror/slasher film.
  16. ChrisP
    Feb 14, 2009
    This movie was far better than I had expected... To think i wasnt even particularly interested in seeing the movie beforehand! It has alot of action and intense slash scenes.... I will be getting this when the DVD comes out for sure!
  17. RHammond
    Feb 14, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie, although the critics seem to disagree with me :) VERY close to the originals, and I loved the humor plugged into it as well. I'd definitely recommend this to any horror film fans.
  18. JesseB
    Feb 14, 2009
    At first I was nervous of this Friday the 13th remake but it delivers big time. Rob Zombie should take notes on how to do a proper remake. Forget what these critics say, the movie is fun, it has everything that a Friday the 13th movie should have except this time it comes without the cheese. Do yourself a favor and go watch it.
  19. PeterJ
    Feb 14, 2009
    I think is a great remake, a great soundtrack with a very suspense.
  20. JohnM
    Feb 14, 2009
    Its been a long time since I have actually seen a "good" horror movie. Most of them are shit. Although this movie is far from originial, the cast and crew did an excellent job with this re-invisionment. The characters are well written and funny, there is enough tits to make everyone happy, and the kills are off the hook. I had a good time watching it. Props.
  21. LukeL
    Feb 16, 2009
    This movie shouldn't be reviewed. During tough times people like to just watch someone take out they're aggresions. Especially when those aggressions are annoying college co-eds. This movie was everything I hoped for. Great killing scenes and no story. Perfect. Too many cheesy pot references though. But, Jason fixes this problem.
  22. SteveMoneyFist
    Feb 27, 2009
    This was a great film to take my girl to watch on valentines days. If I learnt anything from watching this film, it would be never listen to movie critics!
  23. GeorgeM
    Jun 18, 2009
    I've always been a fan of the slasher film genre and growing up with such films as the original Friday the 13th series, Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street and watching these series go from good to bad to so bad its good has been interesting as I've gotten older. Friday the 13th is the next of many slasher films being re-introduced to audiences in the form of a re-make. The I've always been a fan of the slasher film genre and growing up with such films as the original Friday the 13th series, Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street and watching these series go from good to bad to so bad its good has been interesting as I've gotten older. Friday the 13th is the next of many slasher films being re-introduced to audiences in the form of a re-make. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween have been done, now its Friday the 13th (and I've heard Nightmare on Elm Street is next). The re-make of Friday the 13th is a bit different in the sense that it skips over most of the events of the first film in the original series. Jason's mother was still a killer at Crystal Lake, she was still beheaded by a camp counselor...but those events are told more as an opener for Jason and his rise (and motivation) to becoming a killer himself and punishing rowdy teenagers. The story is a bit predictable, mainly from the teenagers/partiers side...someone turns up missing, family member comes to look for them...that person meets other potential "victims", and thats that...its forgettable, designed entirely to give Jason fresh meat for the grinder...but thats okay, no-one goes to see a Jason film for intricacy in plot/story..but for good ole fashion slasher fun, of which there is plenty. The gore quotient is rather high...the kills range "aw cool" to "oh man thats nasty" to tongue in cheek and almost goofy, but thats always been the charm of these films, the ludicrous nature of Jason's killing methods. All in all, I enjoyed this film...it's gritty and oft times dark and moody but at the same time still containing that sense of campiness and cheesiness thats made this series famous and infamous at the same time. It's not great and in some cases not even good, but films like this are hard to pass up...because they are indeed good fun if your looking for something you can enjoy without thinking too much about. I'd recommend this as a RENTAL. Expand
  24. GrantZ
    Aug 17, 2009
    Watching this movie, i started off thinking it was terrible. The kills were cut off, and the actors bored me. Then, as soon the second group of teenagers arrived the film got so much better. They all carried their roles really well, kills were good, and some sections were generally shocking. Padalecki and Panabaker, act really well, and Jason is a monster, he doesn't give up, and Watching this movie, i started off thinking it was terrible. The kills were cut off, and the actors bored me. Then, as soon the second group of teenagers arrived the film got so much better. They all carried their roles really well, kills were good, and some sections were generally shocking. Padalecki and Panabaker, act really well, and Jason is a monster, he doesn't give up, and keeps coming. And he's more human this time, running after people and setting up traps. Ending was a bit iffy though. Expand
  25. AndrewR
    Feb 13, 2009
    Ok I won't lie to you I hate horror movies, and poor quality movies, and movies with bad actors/actresses... but seriously, this was awesome. I'm not trying to say it doesn't have those qualities in spades (cuz it does) but subtract a few pointless sex scenes from it and it's one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in awhile. This could just be some personal Ok I won't lie to you I hate horror movies, and poor quality movies, and movies with bad actors/actresses... but seriously, this was awesome. I'm not trying to say it doesn't have those qualities in spades (cuz it does) but subtract a few pointless sex scenes from it and it's one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in awhile. This could just be some personal phenomena I experienced after for so long being caught up in critiquing and analyzing every intricate detail of a movie, but it really is just plain, predictable, unprecedented fun. Expand
  26. DanielS
    Feb 14, 2009
    This movie was awesome... I do not understand the critics & their bad reviews there the ones who don't know a good movie when they see it. Anybody who's a Jason fan or just likes a good horror slasher movie is going to fall in love with this film PERIOD!
  27. DerekW
    Feb 14, 2009
    A great Saturday afternoon matinee flick! Stupid, but fun.
  28. TimT
    Feb 14, 2009
    Great remake, not sure why critics don't like it, audiences seem wowed by it!
  29. OwenM
    Feb 15, 2009
    This film doesn't deserve a 10, nor does it deserve what the critics are giving it. I enjoyed the film for the most part, it was very enjoyable to sit back and relax with some friends to a decent horror film. It's definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of Jason Vorhees, or horror movies in general.
  30. RockyM
    Feb 24, 2009
    This movie restarts the series without changing the storyline. It is the best in the series, and should be enjoyed by any horror movie lover.
  31. NateB.
    Feb 28, 2009
    A great re-boot of the series for die-hard fans. Newcomers may be a bit put-off, however.
  32. SFN
    Jan 8, 2011
    people dont give this movie enough credit then it should be getting, i know the same teenageer thing where they go to the woods have sex, get drunk, do drugs and get killed can get boring but you have to look past that, the movie has unique kill scenes and they even made jason smarter to the point where he sets traps, the movie i will admit will get boring and repetitive sometimes theypeople dont give this movie enough credit then it should be getting, i know the same teenageer thing where they go to the woods have sex, get drunk, do drugs and get killed can get boring but you have to look past that, the movie has unique kill scenes and they even made jason smarter to the point where he sets traps, the movie i will admit will get boring and repetitive sometimes they make up for that but adding in boobs and killing scenes, if your a fan of the friday the 13th i say atleast look into this movie and give it a try Expand
  33. Aug 20, 2011
    A Pretty Good Reboot you dont see good reboot around much but this is one of the better ones and its not a Masterpiece but it definatly looks like a good start in New Line of Friday The 13th Movies it definatly better Then Jason X or Jason Goes to Hell The Kills are good and it Wasnt a Movie that Dragged on Much it was Enjoyable and I Suggest That More People Check it Out
  34. Jan 7, 2012
    I had a great time watching this movie in the theaters. Is it really all that original an addition to the series. Not exactly. However it does take the typical friday the 13th formula and makes a very good typical friday the 13th movie, but with a few new bells and whistles. Jason can run in this one, which I thought was cool, makes him more aggressive looking. He sets traps and movesI had a great time watching this movie in the theaters. Is it really all that original an addition to the series. Not exactly. However it does take the typical friday the 13th formula and makes a very good typical friday the 13th movie, but with a few new bells and whistles. Jason can run in this one, which I thought was cool, makes him more aggressive looking. He sets traps and moves around with underground tunnels, these new things were cool. However if you were expecting a really groundbreaking remake, youll be disapointed. The scares aren't really scary, but atleast its violent enough and dirty enough to satisfy a horror fan. The story they came up here wasn't bad at all, and I even cared about a few characters. The movie is entertaining to watch as long as you don't set the bar very high on expectation. It is a good friday the 13th movie, just not REALLY new. Expand
  35. Feb 7, 2013
    I can see why people who weren't fans of the Friday the 13th series wouldn't like this film. But honestly, who cares? This film wasn't made for them anyway. As for critics, none of the Friday the 13th films have done well with critics. That being said, as someone who's been a fan of horror films for years. Friday the 13th is a decent slasher movie, that does a great job of starting theI can see why people who weren't fans of the Friday the 13th series wouldn't like this film. But honestly, who cares? This film wasn't made for them anyway. As for critics, none of the Friday the 13th films have done well with critics. That being said, as someone who's been a fan of horror films for years. Friday the 13th is a decent slasher movie, that does a great job of starting the story over with aspects of the first three (and the fourth to a lesser extent) films Expand
  36. Jul 23, 2013
    Everyone should know what this movie is going to be like before even seeing it. It is a movie where teens go to the woods and get killed. Simple as that. Why some people expect more out of a Friday the 13th movie still confuses me. I found this movie to be an enjoyable slasher movie, but nothing more. If you want anything more out of it than that, then steer clear. If however, youEveryone should know what this movie is going to be like before even seeing it. It is a movie where teens go to the woods and get killed. Simple as that. Why some people expect more out of a Friday the 13th movie still confuses me. I found this movie to be an enjoyable slasher movie, but nothing more. If you want anything more out of it than that, then steer clear. If however, you want to watch a fun slasher movie, then go ahead and give this a try. Expand
  37. Mar 25, 2015
    Unfortunately the movie is kinda slow,the acting is not that good and the death are not really outrageous but,the movie is entertaining and he's a respectable reboot.
  38. Jul 30, 2014
    Friday the 13 (2009): 8 out of 10: Jason is a bit off in this one. He moves to fast, he kidnaps people like he watched Rest Stop one too many times and he seems to lack a certain hulking presence of the original. Outside of the main character however, this is a pretty good Friday the 13th film.

Friday the 13th is billed as a relaunch (remake reboot etc) and as such it seems to confuse. It contains plot elements of the first four films (Mrs. Voorhees decapitation takes place in flashback) and Jason rightfully starts with his original sack and finds his hockey mask (as he did in part 3). In addition, while I am critical of Jason having his own “lair” I am reminded he had one in Part 2 (Where he kept his mothers severed head lovingly surrounded by candles). The main plot of a man trying to find his missing sister is straight from part 4. Where the film succeeds is canon fodder and nudity. There are plenty of both and most of it is of high quality. The kills range from mundane (of these there are plenty) surprisingly intense (A burning sleeping bag may cause nightmares and the topless wakeboarding will cause nothing but smiles.) The sheer number and variety of kills however is quite impressive.

Camp Crystal Lake has apparently turned into a breast implant recovery retreat. While there is only one camp counselor to be found (in grainy flashback no less) there are plenty of woman with breast implants and an aversion to wearing shirts. Julianna Guill (who in fairness may be au-natural) in particular gets points for simply being one of the most attractive women I have seen on-screen in many a movie. (Willa Ford of the topless wakeboarding scene is not half bad either.)

Considering the number of times the Friday the 13th films have gone of the rails in the past, one should not raise the bar all that high. In addition, while I am an unabashed fanboy of the series, I do recognize it does have serious limitations. (What we now refer to as its charms.) This is a flashier, more competently lensed Friday the 13th, and all in all is that such a bad thing?

There are plenty of bad jokes, drugs, nudity and violence. If that is not what you were looking for you may want to check the title screen again. As Friday the 13th movies go this is one of the best.
  39. Nov 22, 2014
    Friday the 13th is sort of the same old same old but it just sticking to what works. Jason has always just been awesome, badass and unstoppable, no tampering really needs to be done with that character. I have always been a fan of this franchise and this may be one of the stronger films that were released. It certainly beats that crappy Nightmare on Elm Street remake.

If all you're looking for is breasts, blood, and gore, this film hits pay dirt. None of the killings are terribly inventive, but they are plentiful, and why bother being devious when axes, machetes, knives, and pointed sticks will do the job just as well?
    But bad, this film's so bad! To flub the fans' most beloved butcher boy.
    About the best Friday the 13th movie you could hope for. Its technical credits are excellent. It has a lot of scary and gruesome killings. Not a whole lot of acting is required.