5.8

1. Sep 29, 2012
    I loved this movie! I had really low expectations, but it was so good! I should say, that I'm also a big fan of romantic comedies. So, if you're a fan of romantic comedies, you'll love it. If you're not into romantic comedies, you probably won't like it, since there's not that many laughs. It's just really sweet and cute, and refreshing that it's a bit more adult than most romantic comedies. I really liked it and would even watch it again. I'm only giving it a 9 and not a 10 because it could have been funnier. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2012
    I loved this movie and would recommend everyone to see it. I disagree with every reservation expressed by the critics. Unlike them, I feel this was a perfect movie. Jennifer Westfeldt, who wrote, directed, and acted in this movie deserves a lot of credit for doing so many tasks so well. I'm guessing that it was a labor of love.

The script, which is the backbone of any movie: * was
    centered around an important issue (what do singles do about having a family as they're getting older), * advanced the action naturally from one scene and dilemma to another, * contained dialogue and repartee that was natural and witty

The direction: * kept us continually engaged - there wasn't one moment that I was just waiting for the next thing to happen - even though I was eager to find out * kept the dialogue flowing between 6 actors - which is not an easy task * had all the actors act perfectly without any false notes * integrated the kids into the action - another difficult directing task

The acting: * was great. All the actors were funny, exasperated, mean, kind, caring, and loving in turn with no false notes

Go see it! See if I'm right and the kvetchy critics are wrong!
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    Rarely does a movie present characters that you identify with everyone of them or have been everyone of them at some point in your life. Yet somehow you want to be none of them. That is life. Humor, truth, emotion, and the impossible dilemmas of life rarely rear their heads together in one story, but they do here. Though the directing is nowhere near Woody Allen's Hanna and Manhattan, and the climax is very hollywood, the majority of the film would make Woody very proud. Expand
  4. Mar 10, 2012
    This RomCom will appeal to both genders. Jennifer Westfeldt brings a fresh, voice to the genre; you forget that relationships are at the core of the film, because it's so funny. Just like "Kissing Jessica Stein," this film is unexpectedly entertaining. I'd recommend it to just about anyone.
  5. Mar 9, 2012
    An incredible film, is funny, emotive, ingenious, the cast is amazing, and the performance of Megan Fox is wow, amazing, I never believe that. Friends with Kids is abig sorprise.

1. Reviewed by: Helen O'Hara
    Jun 25, 2012
    It benefits from a supernaturally engaging cast, but this treads too closely to the rom-com model to feel as smart or moving as Westfeldt's previous best.
  2. Reviewed by: Jonathan Crocker
    Jun 21, 2012
    Smart dialogue, a gifted ensemble and good intentions from Jennifer Westfeldt, but her grown-up romcom can't quite escape feeling like a sitcom on the big screen.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Mar 10, 2012
    In spite of my general distaste for Friends With Kids, let me cast my vote on the side of those who liked the ending. I wish more of the film had had that scene's fresh mixture of casual banter and breathless intimacy, instead of sounding like half-remembered dialogue from a movie we've all seen too many times before.