4.7

1. Mar 25, 2011
    Was this supposed to be a detective film, a thriller, or a horror story? Because it fails at all three at them. Johnny Depp has been miscast into a bland and uninteresting character while all other characters are simply uninteresting to begin with. Not bad, but completely forgettable.
  2. MichaelH.
    Oct 20, 2001
    Two hours seemed like six. It is a collection of tiresome, disjointed side stories that neither advance the characters nor plot combined with hackneyed storytelling that is neither engaging nor clever. It is a constant barrage of unnecessary extreme close ups, unmotivated crane shots, and a carriage in slow motion. Watching a conversation between two characters is akin to watching a Two hours seemed like six. It is a collection of tiresome, disjointed side stories that neither advance the characters nor plot combined with hackneyed storytelling that is neither engaging nor clever. It is a constant barrage of unnecessary extreme close ups, unmotivated crane shots, and a carriage in slow motion. Watching a conversation between two characters is akin to watching a tennis match shifting from one side of the screen to the other with each sentence uttered and realizing they had nothing to say. In the end I cared nothing for the main characters, the victims, or their plight. This seems to be the Cliff Notes version of a story in which the Hughes Bros. didn't read the book or the notes. Accurately titled, it truly is the movie "From Hell". Expand
  3. SidneyM.
    Oct 29, 2001
    Too much rings false. The sets look like sets. The characters act like characters. This is melodramatic nonsense dressed up for a bloody night on the town. I couldn't believe any of it. I finally gave up when Depp fell for Graham. And those accents! Has Heather ever taken an acting class? I found myself wanting to check the football scores on my pager rather than watch anymore.
  4. J.R.
    Jun 24, 2002
    I found it boring and repetitive. Definitely a must not see.
  5. raVen
    Apr 11, 2004
    Johnny Depp has this way of ingesting opiates and wading through pools of blood that makes you half suspect that this is what he does in real life between movies...But of course we all know he's REALLY a pirate. I was a big Depp fan before this movie, and I was still a big fan afterwards. But other than a good turn by Ian Holm, this movie didn't have much for me besides the Johnny Depp has this way of ingesting opiates and wading through pools of blood that makes you half suspect that this is what he does in real life between movies...But of course we all know he's REALLY a pirate. I was a big Depp fan before this movie, and I was still a big fan afterwards. But other than a good turn by Ian Holm, this movie didn't have much for me besides the aforementioned opiates and pools of blood. If I had to give it a grade I'd say O+. Expand

A visionary sort of horror movie should ponder three words: "Bram Stoker's Dracula."
  2. It is deeply unpleasant to see women abducted, tortured and eviscerated by a methodical and meticulous butcher.
    A tug-of-war between a bracing vision of a truly infernal crime spree -- complete with engaging whodunit storytelling -- and a sometimes clumsy period drama.