7.8

1. Aug 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to admit, going in to watching this film, I was expecting this to be an above average movie about a semi-interesting event (Interesting mainly because of the time period) Going out however, I'd say this is now one of my favourite films of 2008, and, like another one of my favourite films of the same year, it's mostly down to the acting of the films 'main antagonist' in this case, Frank Lagella's superb performance as Richard Nixon. In almost every scene the man appears in (and there are a lot of them) my eyes were almost entirely focused on him. However, that said, his wasn't the only good performance; both Michael Sheen (as David Frost) and Kevin Bacon (as Jack Breenan, Nixon's minder) delivered good performances, and are some of the best I'd seen from them (though admittedly I haven't seen much from either actor)
    Now, I know this film has a few inaccuracies with the real events, particularly the midnight phone scene between the title characters which apparently never happened. Some say things like this diminish the film, but to me, a movies first and most important function, is to entertain, and I think scenes like that add to the film, and I would actually say that the aforementioned scene was probably one of my favourites of the entire film,.
    Anyway, I think I'd better stop now, I might end up like Nixon during the first interview and go on for hours if I don't xD But in short, I think it's a very good film, and one I recommend to almost anyone who's somewhat interested in either the topic, or just want to watch a drama that doesn't involve heinous amounts of gunfights and/or explosions.
  2. Aug 23, 2010
    Film portraying a series of interviews between disgraced former US President Richard Nixon & British satirist/talk-show host David Frost.
    Great casting with Langella & Sheen portraying the two leads with precision & the charm that the real people had. Strong support too from Sam Rockwell, Kevin Bacon, Rebecca Hall & Oliver Platt.
    The writing is great as is the direction. I'm sure some of
    The writing is great as is the direction. I'm sure some of the events have been slightly fabricated to move the story along but it works really well.
    Watch the real interview if you get chance to see how good & how close they got this film.
  3. Jun 30, 2011
    Although the outcome is obvious, the movie is still fantastic. Well acted and well written, this movie still manages to be suspenseful. It is great historical drama (it is a historical drama, right?) and a fantastic movie all around. An interesting subject matter is turned into an interesting and riveting film. Deserved the Best Picture Oscar, not Slumdog Millionaire.
  4. Nov 7, 2013
    This is a study of character and realisation, Frost/Nixon aims to delve into the interviews that took place between the former President Richard Nixon and British “talk show host” David Frost, it doesn’t delve into political motives or side-tracking corruption,only the men who sat in two chairs for a series of interviews, Frost, a choice that surprised many, was a man living a flamboyantThis is a study of character and realisation, Frost/Nixon aims to delve into the interviews that took place between the former President Richard Nixon and British “talk show host” David Frost, it doesn’t delve into political motives or side-tracking corruption,only the men who sat in two chairs for a series of interviews, Frost, a choice that surprised many, was a man living a flamboyant life while also having television shows in Australia that were not anything close to the journalistic prowess that the public were expecting to take on the guilty President, yet the film outlines in dramatised form, how much of the process of these interviews and payments came largely from Frost’s own pocket. The film kicks off with snippets of news programs all those years ago as the Watergate scandal was revealed, but also how there was evidence of a cover-up by the President of the United States. The film is a close tailing of Frost as he decides to be the first person to interview the disgraced former President, he has no TV channels behind him or any concrete advertising, but all this acts as part of the mindset that this young presenter is in, he is in it really to rejuvenate his career and for it to mean something again, but his team of researchers, and of course, the nation, want him to press the President for a confession of his involvement in a cover-up, a point at the beginning of the interview process that Frost bites off a little more than he can chew, seemingly unprepared for the onslaught of anecdotes and stonewalling he received from Nixon. Michael Sheen takes on the role of Frost, a role he also played in the stage version of the show, while Nixon is played by Frank Langella, who also appeared in the same stage production. These two actors deliver fine performances, Sheen takes the stance in his character that he has nothing to lose with these interviews, yet when he is getting nowhere with his attempts at picking apart Nixon, he soon sees how it could all come crashing down, Langella perfectly incorporates the mannerisms and speech of Nixon, whose booming voice was one of his memorable qualities, but Langella also shows a man with regret and loneliness in his eyes, at some points even seeming like he wanted to confess, but remember, this is dramatised, because we don’t really know the type of relationship these two had other than in front of the cameras, but a certain scene which didn’t happen was added in, perhaps for the dramatic effect, where a drunken Nixon contacts Frost in the dead of night and discusses many character defects in vague detail, and although this event never actually happened, its pivotal for how the final interview plays out, and how Frost manages to have Nixon accept his guilt. In many ways the film certainly attempts to capture the essence of what went on during those interview days, but it also tries to make its own mark for the performances alone, which are the benchmark of the film, once these two sit face to face, thats when the magic occurs. Expand
  5. Aug 25, 2014
    A fascinating and refreshing look at Nixon post-Presidency. Langella and Sheen impeccably personify Nixon and Frost. Ron Howard is able to take Peter Morgan's stimulating screenplay and make a captivating historical drama.
  6. May 23, 2013
    This really is a great film. I love that it captures the complexity of not only the Watergate scandal itself, but Nixon's feelings, emotions, thoughts, and regret as well. This is mainly because of Peter Morgan's excellent screenplay; it's powerful and entertaining at all the right moments. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen give really great performances here, and the supporting cast isThis really is a great film. I love that it captures the complexity of not only the Watergate scandal itself, but Nixon's feelings, emotions, thoughts, and regret as well. This is mainly because of Peter Morgan's excellent screenplay; it's powerful and entertaining at all the right moments. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen give really great performances here, and the supporting cast is perfect and rounds the film out nicely. This is a powerful political drama that is also supremely entertaining; it's one of the best films of 2008. Expand

1. Unsatisfying even if, like me, you're a lifelong aficionado of Nixon-bashing.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Frost/Nixon works even better on screen. Director Ron Howard and Morgan, adapting his own play, have both opened up the tale and, with the power of close-ups, made this duel of wits even more intimate and suspenseful.
  3. Less a political movie than a boxing film without the gloves.