Frost/Nixon

7.8

1. Jul 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Frost/Nixon is quickly established as historical and (at least tries to be) accurate. What we're seeing is the story of David Frost and Richard Nixon's epic duel unfold right before our eyes.

Nixon is our former president, and even though he's a really sleazy guy, he still really has the upper hand in these negotiations and even in the interviews. Nixon's been through all this before and Frost is just a foreigner that nobody even takes seriously. Of course we know how the movie's going to end, because even without prior knowledge, there's really only one plausible outcome. We know Nixon's getting sacked, but that doesn't stop the racing drama and race against the clock to prepare for these interviews and end out on top, not only with repuatation, but with high financial stakes as well.

"Success in America is unlike success anywhere else." Frost is perhaps just an ambitious guy that had the skills he needed to give Nixon a run for his money, but the so colorful and almost simplified settings throughout give a hint of disconnection from reality. Just as these interviews are portions of their lives – all shown on a two dimensional television screen for the world to see. Reduced to the face shot. A distorted face muttering the words "When the president does it, that means it's not illegal." Iconic. Unforgettable.

This "duel" was intense and heated by every sense of the word, but some aspects seemed to drone on, much like Nixon's answers in the first 3 tapings. But of course what we remember is the success at the end, and I can hardly fault the movie for following its own advice and really pulling it out at the end despite the somewhat lagging middle. Frost/Nixon honestly left me feeling sorry for Nixon. I had sympathy for Nixon and the Watergate scandal. I think that's really the sign of a well-told story, because although I knew who I was cheering for (Frost), I was able to see both sides and realize that it's not a black and white game. Life is gray, much like the story.
  2. Aug 9, 2015
    What can be said here? This is the movie about David Frost and Richard Nixon's conflict why Nixon resigned from presidental office. So why did Nixon resign from office? He left because of the watergate scandal in 1974. Nixon was all over T.V and the world, this is where the reality talk show host David Frost comes in. Frost paid Nixon $600,000 to be in the interview on a special T.VWhat can be said here? This is the movie about David Frost and Richard Nixon's conflict why Nixon resigned from presidental office. So why did Nixon resign from office? He left because of the watergate scandal in 1974. Nixon was all over T.V and the world, this is where the reality talk show host David Frost comes in. Frost paid Nixon $600,000 to be in the interview on a special T.V interview to speak to him live in front of millions of people, this was a lot to him back when he had accepted to be in the special interview.

Most of the performances in the movie are amongst the best in political drama; performances by Michael Sheen and Frank Langella add in to make the movie a joy ride. There are other amazing performances by Kevin Bacon, Sam Rockwell, and Oliver Platt as supporting actors. The movie takes it in a docudrama form with the characters describing the events that goes along in the movie as you watch it. The events are all well described accurately thanks to the well written screenplay and director Ron Howard's work on the film.

The film starts out with Nixon getting ready to tell the world that he is resigning from office. Millions and millions of people tuned into this speech where Nixon infamously said that he is resignging, but what they did not know is why he quit. British T.V host David Frost was one of those people who watched the presdient fly away in his helicopter to leave the white house forever. Frost comes up with a plan to get Nixon to say why he resigned from office, on world-wide T.V.

The film not only portrays David Frost and Richard Nixon so accurately, but it makes the audience feel for them. It is amazing how this interview was divided into four whole parts in such a span of time, being as it as, it is as if the interview was having difficulties getting over with. Nixon may have made a good decision with resigning, some disagree and thought he was afraid to say anything until he was cornered in the interview.

The film is a piece of work by director Ron Howard and the cast of the film. All the performances deserve to be memorable, Frost and Nixon were once notable, and still are today for being in the conflict they both had. Not only will they be remembered for the conflict, but they will be remembered for what they did. Frost being a popular talk show hose, and Nixon being the 37th U.S president. Even at the end, you will still wonder why Nixon chose to give up the once in a life time chance at being president, and what Frost did after the event.
  3. JayH
    Apr 10, 2009
    The fact I find both Richard Nixon and David Frost boring, doesn't help my outlook on this film. The craftmanship by Ron Howard is exceptional however. Fine performances. Frank Langella is good, but I didn't find him outstanding.
  4. RobK
    Dec 5, 2008
    I was a little hesitant to see a movie based on a series of television interviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Ron Howard somehow crafted an exciting, and at times thrilling film with touches of humor and sadness. Frank Langella was exceptional as Richard Nixon and I'm sure will be receiving an Oscar nomination as a result. Other than making Nixon out to be a little more I was a little hesitant to see a movie based on a series of television interviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Ron Howard somehow crafted an exciting, and at times thrilling film with touches of humor and sadness. Frank Langella was exceptional as Richard Nixon and I'm sure will be receiving an Oscar nomination as a result. Other than making Nixon out to be a little more sympathetic a figure than many people would probably like, I thoroughly enjoyed this film Expand
  5. TietsuC.
    Dec 24, 2008
    This is a solid movie that I would recommend to anyone who is interested in reliving the feeling of importance the resonated within the political climate of the time. The actors perform to some of the best I've seen this year, and ultimately makes a humanizes and incredibly enthralling tale of guilt and politics.
  6. fantasy
    Jan 2, 2009
    We just saw this movie and loved it. Frank Langella captivates the screen and will have you believe he truly is Richard M. Nixon. His effort should earn him an OSCAR buzz. The audience sat in stunned silence and hung on his every word. Everyone is else is just filler. After seeing the movie you have a feeling he truly wanted to lose the debate. The saddest part was there never was any We just saw this movie and loved it. Frank Langella captivates the screen and will have you believe he truly is Richard M. Nixon. His effort should earn him an OSCAR buzz. The audience sat in stunned silence and hung on his every word. Everyone is else is just filler. After seeing the movie you have a feeling he truly wanted to lose the debate. The saddest part was there never was any need for Watergate as he destroyed McGovern winning by a landslide. He was truly a great statesman even though he had no personality. Also it is never revealed who was responsible for suggesting Watergate even though we can assume it was done with Tricky Dick's blessing? All in all a very good film worthy of you seeing. Expand
  7. xLAWx
    May 27, 2009
    Outstanding casts and director and also a fast paced movie. One of the best films of the year.
  8. ReedH.
    Dec 10, 2008
    Langella fantastic.
  9. RichardW.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Movie is even better than what was great stagecraft. Langella becomes Nixon through posture, intensity and visage with no apparent make-up help; Sheen is a marvel. Howard's winning direction captures the pathos, bathos and emotion.
  10. WalterR.
    Dec 5, 2008
    Saw this as part of a preview audience last spring. Very entertaining and superbly acted with Langella and Bacon as the outstanding performers. Good pacing and does not lean toward any political side-taking...it mearely tells you what happened in a very well written and paced manner. Gave it a 7 for the topic it addresses....not for the easily bored. Certainly for audiences who enjoy Saw this as part of a preview audience last spring. Very entertaining and superbly acted with Langella and Bacon as the outstanding performers. Good pacing and does not lean toward any political side-taking...it mearely tells you what happened in a very well written and paced manner. Gave it a 7 for the topic it addresses....not for the easily bored. Certainly for audiences who enjoy dialogue and are not craving action thrills. The appeal to any younger viewers will be close to zero. Expand
  11. AbhinavR.
    Jan 1, 2009
    Quite an engaging movie. Very comical at times. I imagine the actual interviews were as dramatic as the film portrayed them. Personally, i don't know much about these interviews, but this movie still interested me very much.
  12. Cory
    Jan 21, 2009
    Yes, I agree. We need Frost/Bush the movie! And you can help write it. Join the screenwriting collaboration party at http://frostbush.com It's a fun way to vent and share humor at the same time!
  13. ChrisC.
    Jan 2, 2009
    Two sensational performances, and Ron Howard's best film yet. There are some cheesy touches, but overall the film is a knockout.
  14. KathyS.
    Feb 1, 2009
    Outstanding performances and a first-rate script. Highly recommended.
  15. jaim
    May 15, 2009
    Very interesting. Definitely recommended by me.
  16. SinclairC.
    Dec 10, 2008
    amongst all the big budget flops of 08' this was by far the most refreshing and entertaining movie I have seen all year.
  17. ChrisD.
    Dec 17, 2008
    The best Ron Howard movie I've seen by far, a great movie on its own as well. The actors that portrayed Frost and Nixon were amazing: they're control of their characters was incredible and it wasn't hard to suspend my disbelief that they really were David Frost and Nixon. The intensity of the movie was surprising, considering it was just a series of interviews. Worth buying The best Ron Howard movie I've seen by far, a great movie on its own as well. The actors that portrayed Frost and Nixon were amazing: they're control of their characters was incredible and it wasn't hard to suspend my disbelief that they really were David Frost and Nixon. The intensity of the movie was surprising, considering it was just a series of interviews. Worth buying a ticket to see. Expand
  18. BillyS.
    Dec 28, 2008
    An extraordinary movie. Frank Langella is a revelation and a shoo-in for an Oscar nomination and I would say the favorite to win Beat Actor. Every bit as intriguing as All The Presidents Men, Ron Howard has crafted the best film of his career. Now all we need is someone to make Frost/Bush and I can go to cinema heaven!!
  19. ArmondA.
    Dec 29, 2008
    It's easy to expect too much of this film, even if you know before seeing it that Nixon never acknowledged the depth and breadth of his malfeasance and misfeasance. I've followed this saga for the past 35 years and I certainly knew that Frost's coup was relatively modest. Yet I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat as Frost finally got down to business and It's easy to expect too much of this film, even if you know before seeing it that Nixon never acknowledged the depth and breadth of his malfeasance and misfeasance. I've followed this saga for the past 35 years and I certainly knew that Frost's coup was relatively modest. Yet I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat as Frost finally got down to business and Nixon's grand-old-statesman persona began to crumble. That's really good filmmaking. Ron Howard sure knows how to build a story and how to heighten drama through the use of very solid, classic camera-work. But the director's skill wouldn't have given us such a fine film without a worthy performance by the leading actor; Frank Langella's Nixon is just remarkable. In fact, Langella puts something into the film that almost makes up for the absence of a real "confession" . He gives us a sense of Nixon the human being. That doesn't mean that one comes away feeling sorry for the man. But if insight into those whom we dislike is of value, and I think it is, Langella, Howard, and all the supporting cast and crew give us a genuine gift in their depiction of a man who was immensely talented and heroically persistent but also narcissistically mortified, lonely, and petty. Expand
  20. ZekeB.
    Dec 5, 2008
    I dont like Ron Howard movies, but this felt more like an intense, overwrought, kinda crazy Oliver Stone movie, and it won me over. The notion that David Frost was a showbiz lightweight underdog didnt ring true to my memory of the man; I recall him more along the lines of Dick Cavett or Charlie Rose. And I also dont think the Frost/Nixon intvs played out as such a big deal when they were I dont like Ron Howard movies, but this felt more like an intense, overwrought, kinda crazy Oliver Stone movie, and it won me over. The notion that David Frost was a showbiz lightweight underdog didnt ring true to my memory of the man; I recall him more along the lines of Dick Cavett or Charlie Rose. And I also dont think the Frost/Nixon intvs played out as such a big deal when they were broadcast; the fact that they aired in the summer, the dumping ground of broadcast TV back then, says it all. But as a clever re-imagining of history, like Oliver Stone's JFK, or Celebrity Deathmatch, or most Tom Stoppard plays, its pretty cool. Expand
  21. MikeH.
    Dec 7, 2008
    Really great movie. Nobody gets murdered or raped, but it's more exciting and tense than most action films these days.
  22. KennyS.
    Jan 18, 2009
    very good movie, good acting, but not completely accurate.
  23. PaulT.n
    Jan 27, 2009
    How could you make a movie about an interview and make it exciting? Ron Howard did it! Great character development that turned a boring premise into a heavyweight knockout. This is a great one.
  24. MattJ.
    Jun 13, 2009
    One of the best movies of 2009. I have no interest in this subject but I still thought this movie was amazing... I would recommend it to almost anyone.
  25. TonyB.
    Jul 26, 2009
    Frank Langella's performance was deserving of the Academy Award. The film probably disappointed the Nixon haters who were looking forward to a hatchet job.
  26. KeithW.
    Dec 14, 2008
    Go see this movie! Thank-you Ron Howard.
  27. Aug 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have to admit, going in to watching this film, I was expecting this to be an above average movie about a semi-interesting event (Interesting mainly because of the time period) Going out however, I'd say this is now one of my favourite films of 2008, and, like another one of my favourite films of the same year, it's mostly down to the acting of the films 'main antagonist' in this case, Frank Lagella's superb performance as Richard Nixon. In almost every scene the man appears in (and there are a lot of them) my eyes were almost entirely focused on him. However, that said, his wasn't the only good performance; both Michael Sheen (as David Frost) and Kevin Bacon (as Jack Breenan, Nixon's minder) delivered good performances, and are some of the best I'd seen from them (though admittedly I haven't seen much from either actor)
    Now, I know this film has a few inaccuracies with the real events, particularly the midnight phone scene between the title characters which apparently never happened. Some say things like this diminish the film, but to me, a movies first and most important function, is to entertain, and I think scenes like that add to the film, and I would actually say that the aforementioned scene was probably one of my favourites of the entire film,.
    Anyway, I think I'd better stop now, I might end up like Nixon during the first interview and go on for hours if I don't xD But in short, I think it's a very good film, and one I recommend to almost anyone who's somewhat interested in either the topic, or just want to watch a drama that doesn't involve heinous amounts of gunfights and/or explosions.
  28. Aug 23, 2010
    Film portraying a series of interviews between disgraced former US President Richard Nixon & British satirist/talk-show host David Frost.
    Great casting with Langella & Sheen portraying the two leads with precision & the charm that the real people had. Strong support too from Sam Rockwell, Kevin Bacon, Rebecca Hall & Oliver Platt.
    The writing is great as is the direction. I'm sure some of
    The writing is great as is the direction. I'm sure some of the events have been slightly fabricated to move the story along but it works really well.
    Watch the real interview if you get chance to see how good & how close they got this film.
  29. Nov 22, 2011
    The really long run time and the really long build up do takes its toll on the film and make it far more worst then what it actually should be but the ending more then makes up for it. The ending is so powerful that once you get there, You will forget everything else leading up to it. Great acting by the cast. The only real problem is the long run time makes it a bit of a bore to sit through.
  30. May 10, 2011
    Maybe it's not satisfied on political interview level. But Frost/Nixon broaden your mind; your knowledge about White House, America, at least on Nixon era.
  31. Jun 30, 2011
    Although the outcome is obvious, the movie is still fantastic. Well acted and well written, this movie still manages to be suspenseful. It is great historical drama (it is a historical drama, right?) and a fantastic movie all around. An interesting subject matter is turned into an interesting and riveting film. Deserved the Best Picture Oscar, not Slumdog Millionaire.
  32. CRL
    Aug 9, 2011
    Generally there's no suspense in a movie where you already know the ending, but that's not true with Frost/Nixon. Not only does it take an interview and make it almost thrilling for two hours straight, but it also showcases great performances by all as well as a smart script and exceptional directing by Ron Howard.
  33. Nov 7, 2013
    This is a study of character and realisation, Frost/Nixon aims to delve into the interviews that took place between the former President Richard Nixon and British “talk show host” David Frost, it doesn’t delve into political motives or side-tracking corruption,only the men who sat in two chairs for a series of interviews, Frost, a choice that surprised many, was a man living a flamboyantThis is a study of character and realisation, Frost/Nixon aims to delve into the interviews that took place between the former President Richard Nixon and British “talk show host” David Frost, it doesn’t delve into political motives or side-tracking corruption,only the men who sat in two chairs for a series of interviews, Frost, a choice that surprised many, was a man living a flamboyant life while also having television shows in Australia that were not anything close to the journalistic prowess that the public were expecting to take on the guilty President, yet the film outlines in dramatised form, how much of the process of these interviews and payments came largely from Frost’s own pocket. The film kicks off with snippets of news programs all those years ago as the Watergate scandal was revealed, but also how there was evidence of a cover-up by the President of the United States. The film is a close tailing of Frost as he decides to be the first person to interview the disgraced former President, he has no TV channels behind him or any concrete advertising, but all this acts as part of the mindset that this young presenter is in, he is in it really to rejuvenate his career and for it to mean something again, but his team of researchers, and of course, the nation, want him to press the President for a confession of his involvement in a cover-up, a point at the beginning of the interview process that Frost bites off a little more than he can chew, seemingly unprepared for the onslaught of anecdotes and stonewalling he received from Nixon. Michael Sheen takes on the role of Frost, a role he also played in the stage version of the show, while Nixon is played by Frank Langella, who also appeared in the same stage production. These two actors deliver fine performances, Sheen takes the stance in his character that he has nothing to lose with these interviews, yet when he is getting nowhere with his attempts at picking apart Nixon, he soon sees how it could all come crashing down, Langella perfectly incorporates the mannerisms and speech of Nixon, whose booming voice was one of his memorable qualities, but Langella also shows a man with regret and loneliness in his eyes, at some points even seeming like he wanted to confess, but remember, this is dramatised, because we don’t really know the type of relationship these two had other than in front of the cameras, but a certain scene which didn’t happen was added in, perhaps for the dramatic effect, where a drunken Nixon contacts Frost in the dead of night and discusses many character defects in vague detail, and although this event never actually happened, its pivotal for how the final interview plays out, and how Frost manages to have Nixon accept his guilt. In many ways the film certainly attempts to capture the essence of what went on during those interview days, but it also tries to make its own mark for the performances alone, which are the benchmark of the film, once these two sit face to face, thats when the magic occurs. Collapse
  34. Feb 19, 2012
    This is a really great movie. Not everyone is going to love it, and many people are going to get bored with it, but it is a very well thought out motion picture. It moves at a methodical pace that lures in the viewer. Only in the last half hour of the film does the story kick it into a higher gear. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen both give award worthy performances, and I even liked KevinThis is a really great movie. Not everyone is going to love it, and many people are going to get bored with it, but it is a very well thought out motion picture. It moves at a methodical pace that lures in the viewer. Only in the last half hour of the film does the story kick it into a higher gear. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen both give award worthy performances, and I even liked Kevin Bacon in this movie. Check it out if a good political drama is what you are craving, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. Expand
  35. Aug 25, 2014
    A fascinating and refreshing look at Nixon post-Presidency. Langella and Sheen impeccably personify Nixon and Frost. Ron Howard is able to take Peter Morgan's stimulating screenplay and make a captivating historical drama.
  36. May 25, 2014
    The acting in the film is quite remarkable which only made the interviews that much better. The fast pace and great script made for an absorbing film but when Frost and Nixon finally sit down face to face, the magic really begins.
  37. Apr 2, 2012
    Langella was simply amazing. His ability to make you love him and hate him at the same time was great. A smart script and the pacing of the movie was right on target.
  38. Jun 6, 2012
    Absorbing historical drama based on the series of interviews between British chat show host David Frost and disgraced former US President Richard Nixon in 1977.

The film is based on the play of the same name and Michael Sheen (Frost) and Frank Langella (Nixon) reprise their characters from the stage version. This continuity gives both actors confidence in their portrayals and both give terrific performances, in particular Langella, who earned an Oscar nod for his initially snarling and defiant and later personal and sombre portrayal of Nixon.

Frost/Nixon deals with the preparation for the interviews by both camps, an unfavoured Frost and team and an over-confident Nixon. The interviews are likened to a boxing match, with both participants retiring to their respective corners in between sparring sessions, and Nixon's chief of staff Jack Brennan (Kevin Bacon) temporarily 'throwing in the towel' on Nixon's behalf before Frost delivers the knock-out blow. In dealing with the most significant scandal in American politics, director Ron Howard has an engrossing subject matter to work with and he does a decent job behind the camera mixing in faux-documentary retrospective interviews with some of the bit part players with clever shots of the interviews from behind the camera.
  39. Aug 3, 2016
    A terrifically engaging film, Frost/Nixon may have a premise that does not sound too interesting, but the end results is pure poetry. Michael Sheen and Frank Langella are brilliant together and play off of one another perfectly. Oliver Platt, Kevin Bacon, Rebecca Hall, and Sam Rockwell, add to the acting talent here with strong supporting turns. The film is very well directed by Ron HowardA terrifically engaging film, Frost/Nixon may have a premise that does not sound too interesting, but the end results is pure poetry. Michael Sheen and Frank Langella are brilliant together and play off of one another perfectly. Oliver Platt, Kevin Bacon, Rebecca Hall, and Sam Rockwell, add to the acting talent here with strong supporting turns. The film is very well directed by Ron Howard with the pacing and occasional docudrama style being a perfect fit for this type of film. The film really feels fresh and engaging due to this style as the film really ropes you in and brings you into the 1970s. The film is very well paced, which is easy to pick up on. As the premise could have been quite boring, the good pacing makes itself apparent when the film is never boring. Instead, it leaves you wanting more and on the edge of your seat waiting to see where the interview ends up. Overall, Frost/Nixon is exactly what a political drama should be. The film is not just very well made, but also a true actor's showcase. Expand
  40. May 23, 2013
    This really is a great film. I love that it captures the complexity of not only the Watergate scandal itself, but Nixon's feelings, emotions, thoughts, and regret as well. This is mainly because of Peter Morgan's excellent screenplay; it's powerful and entertaining at all the right moments. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen give really great performances here, and the supporting cast isThis really is a great film. I love that it captures the complexity of not only the Watergate scandal itself, but Nixon's feelings, emotions, thoughts, and regret as well. This is mainly because of Peter Morgan's excellent screenplay; it's powerful and entertaining at all the right moments. Frank Langella and Michael Sheen give really great performances here, and the supporting cast is perfect and rounds the film out nicely. This is a powerful political drama that is also supremely entertaining; it's one of the best films of 2008. Expand

1. Unsatisfying even if, like me, you're a lifelong aficionado of Nixon-bashing.
  2. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Frost/Nixon works even better on screen. Director Ron Howard and Morgan, adapting his own play, have both opened up the tale and, with the power of close-ups, made this duel of wits even more intimate and suspenseful.
  3. Less a political movie than a boxing film without the gloves.