7.8

1. Nov 27, 2013
    While we all love Disney and the happiness it brings to everyone, sometimes it over-shows ideals to young girls that might not come true in reality. "Frozen" addresses the meaning of love right from the start, with an adult Anna, who being separated from reality for her entire life has no idea what love truly means. .As an avid Disney fan, and as someone with two sisters, this is a movie that people of all ages will love to see. Expand
  2. Dec 23, 2013
    Having loved Tangled, and seeing all those glowing reviews for Frozen I fully expected to enjoy this one, but alas I was severely let down by it.

I have two major problems with Frozen: the story and the characters. Simply put, they're mediocre.

Where Tangled had a very funny and well developed heroin, Frozen tries to juggle two heroins and fails miserably at it. None of them end up
    being developed at all, they come across as very generic and forgettable, which is not what you would want in a movie centered on characters. Same thing with the supporting characters, all very bland and generic except for Olaf, he's hilarious.

Next the story, it's an absolute mess. In the first 20 mins, we experience three major dramatic moments and a 15 year time jump. Only to then have the rest of the movie with NOTHING going on until the last 20 mins. There's also zero world building, we see nothing of the world or the people inhabiting it, whereas in Tangled we did get to travel across the world and go on an exciting adventure with our characters. Here we see a castle and a mountain, and that's it. The themes of the story are also muddled and don't come through at all like in Brave for example.

In the end Frozen felt rushed, unfocused and boring. A major step backward for Disney.
  3. Nov 27, 2013
    Frozen is fantastic. Flawless animation and terrific songs combine to make it the best Disney movie in a decade, as well as one of the funniest. This is one I will watch over and over.
  4. Nov 30, 2013
    An amazing addition to the Disney movie collection. With love, betrayal, humor, and a fantastic soundtrack. The plot-twist leaves you wanting to yell at the screen and throw a fit. Absolutely flawless.
  5. Dec 1, 2013
    I loved this movie & when I saw it I just had to write a review about. You can honestly go see this movie by yourself like I did or take your kids Either wa y you'll enjoy it and its amazing graphics. Not to mention the funny moments.
  6. Nov 27, 2013
    Amazing animation, music, songs, characters, and story...all top notch.

Disney Renaissance 2.0

This film along with Tangled seals it. Disney is definitely back. Looks like a new generation gets to experience what the 90's brought us from the studio.
  7. Nov 28, 2013
    What is perfect about "Frozen" is that it brings back the classic Disney Magic, phenomenal music and great script that warms the heart. The opening song immediately grabs audiences attention, similarly the same effect as in "The Lion King." The soundtrack is flawless, the characters are fun and relatable and the overall design is stunning.
  8. Feb 9, 2014
    I love CGI animation movies since I saw Toy Story in 1995, and I must say this is by far the worst I've ever seen! After Pixar excellent pieces in the 90s and 00s, as well as the Shrek series, you would have thought that the era of purely child-oriented, one-dimensional, cheesy fairy tale princess stories interrupted by musical pieces is clearly over. Apparently not. I am frankly shocked how many raving reviews this calculated, heartless and unfunny movie got both from critics and users. Clearly something must be wrong with my taste. The initial premise of separating the sisters is totally stupid, the anticlimax in the middle feels forced and unbelievable, there is no real villain, the romance feels incredibly stale, and the music is annoying as hell (even though so forgettable I couldn't remember any of the tunes 30 min later). This is a huge step back for the genre of animated movies, and the saddest thing is that with these kind of reviews, we're gonna see more of this garbage in the future. Expand
  9. Dec 1, 2013
    "Frozen" is a fantastic story about two sisters and the power of the love between them. It is about letting go, being yourself, and having faith in someone even though they don’t have faith in themselves. All great messages for people to live by. The themes and moral are handled well through the film and not once does it become preachy or grating.

The film is superbly directed with
    great attention to the script and character development. Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee keep us on our toes by slipping in some smart humor and just as intelligently placed moments of true emotions. The film is paced pretty well, but in certain key moments, particularly the ending, it tends to rush through it. However, it’s not rushed in a jarring way, but I did wish the film would slow down at certain points. A sharp script gives us well rounded characters and themes that we can all learn from. The two leads are given equal attention to and their relationship is handled incredibly well, especially in the intro of the film. The beginning of the film does a great job of introducing the characters and setting up their relationship. I was literally tearing up because of how real and honest the bond between the sisters were in the beginning and throughout the rest of the movie.

Characters are great in this film. Anna, voiced by Kristen Bell, is one of the two leads. She’s probably the most awkward and quirky Disney princess we’ve ever had. She’s a bit of a spazz, always tripping or bumping into things and fumbling over her words when she’s nervous. It’s quite cute and a joy to watch such an honest and real character. A lot of her flightiness comes from her being sheltered in a castle for such a long time with little interaction with other people. However, she’s also determined and very open to meeting new people and helping her friends. Elsa, voiced by Idina Menzel, the other lead is the complete opposite of Anna. She’s more reserved and her actions are always calculated to a tee. She has magical powers, but due to an incident that happened when she was younger, she fears that people will loath her for her gift. She doesn’t talk as much and usually prefers to be alone. The relationship between the two is really the highlight and it is heart breaking to see them rift away. One last character that I want to mention is Olaf. This character is probably the most worrisome part about the film for most people as Disney can sometimes be hit or miss with their side characters. However, here we have a huge hit with Olaf. He’s a bit oblivious, but he’s also incredibly likable and sweet. He gets some of the best lines in the movie and he’s just a joy to watch because he doesn’t try to steal the spot light from what’s actually important. The rest of the characters are great and defined very well.

The animation in the film is gorgeous. The characters move fluidly and the expressions on their faces are where some of the most intense emotions of the film come from. Elsa’s magical powers are used well and there is both beauty and danger to it. The colors are vibrant and the use of blues and other colder colors really makes us feel the chills of the eternal winter.

Like many classic Disney movies, this one is also a musical and a great one at that. The musical numbers are some of the best since the 90s films. Robert and Kristen Lopez did an amazing job with the soundtrack. The songs range from ballads to showstoppers to sincere to fun, but not one song feels out of place or stops the movies progression. My two favorite songs are “For the First Time In Forever” and “Let It Go,” both are powerful ballads that really give us a sense of what the characters are like and what they want. “For the First Time In Forever” is a duet between Anna and Elsa. I enjoy the contrasting lyrics as Anna is excited and Elsa is more afraid of her inauguration. “Let It Go” is the big showstopping ballad about Elsa, finally liberating herself from her frustrations. Idina Menzels’s voice is so powerful that I had goosebumps by the end of it. The rest of the songs are great as well and quite memorable with strong lyrics and powerful accompanying music. I bet you’ll be humming and singing the songs long after watching the film.

Overall, “Frozen” is a magnificent film filled with gorgeous animation, relatable and well-defined characters, toe tapping music, and a story that will melt even the coldest of hearts. Some people might be upset that their isn’t a strong central villain in this film, but I think it is a plus because then we can focus on the struggles and strains between Anna and Elsa. It is easily the best animated film of 2013 and a future classic that we’ll all watch over and over again. I give it 4.5/5, beautiful movie from start to finish.
  10. Nov 28, 2013
    Disney's "FROZEN" When the Mickey Mouse short "Get a Horse" before the film is more entertaining than the actual movie, you have a problem. What can I say about this movie? It is definitely Disney. Within the first five minutes...if that, it is already plagued by the curse of Disney films. We get the overall plot, introduction of main protagonist and antagonist, the death in the family, and a completely uncalled song all in the beginning. What comes after is simply a movie filled with matters of convenience and the not so original concept of "True love conquers all" theme.

What I liked The ice is very nice to look at. Also, I didn't mind this movie in 3D, I found it enhanced the graphic design instead of pulling you away with random over the top in your face moments. Kristoff the iceman, a down to earth character with an affection to his reindeer Swen was fun to watch at times, but Olaf, the snowman, I feel really stole the character spotlight for being of pure nativity and simplicity. Also, the humor hits at the right times. The best line, and the only laugh out loud moment for me is when Olaf, Kristoff, and Anna meet and Olaf finishes singing his song.

What I didn't like The story feels rushed if not even there at times. It feels like a movie where one guy said, "Hey, lets make a movie about Ice and princesses." And that is what you have. You're never really pulled into this movie, the characters are clearly developed past their shell, and the twist doesn't make you care. Again it feels like they have the twist just to have a twist. And don't get me started on the songs. Let's sing about how I feel and what is happening at this moment and let's really pull out all the stops for teen Disney. Finally I can't express the thought of "convenience" in this movie enough.

Originally I was going to say 4/10, 5/10. yet, despite the flaws I'm going to bump it up one notch 5/10-6/10 because after its all said and done, I somehow enjoyed it a little. Don't get me wrong, this is not a great movie, it is not even a good movie. But it has its moments.

5/6 outta 10 Kids will love it, parents will endure at least.
  11. Dec 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is exactly what a Disney film should be, cheesy, cute, beautiful and charismatic with a collection of fantastically catchy songs, lovable characters and a moral at the end.
    It's a refreshing plot with a satisfying ending and though i went into the movie fearing the worst considering recent animated films that have come out, i was happily shown i had nothing to fear.
    I love Disney, but i have to say this is perhaps their best musical film since Beauty and the Beast and i can easily see it becoming a classic.
    Whether you have kids, are a kid, or just have a kid in your heart you need to see this film.

Couple of notes, this film is stunning to look at, with some of the best digital snow you'll ever see. Also the character models are wonderful managing the style of Disney whilst looking like completely original designs. The casting is phenomenal with no weak performances to be found.

THIS IS WHERE THE SPOILERS KICK IN:

People have written some negative reviews challenging these aspects of the plot and i want to put right what they said.

Elsa is not cursed, she was born with her magic, it is never 'explained' because no one in the film understands it themselves. The simple fact is the worlds that Disney create are magical.

Also Elsa does not ignore her sister for no reason, she distances herself to avoid hurting her again like she does at the start of the film.

Of course there are small plot holes around the place, but none that in any way effect the enjoyment of the film.

The ONE complaint i have is that they didn't utilize having Jonathon Groff in the film nearly enough, give him more songs!!!!
  12. Jan 3, 2014
    Frozen is Disney's best animated movie since The Lion King with its refreshing musical numbers, funny yet touching script and its likable characters.o
  13. Nov 27, 2013
    After Wreck it Ralph and Tangled, I had high hopes for Frozen. While I did enjoy it, it does not live up to the standard set by those two movies.

The movie spends the first half trying to be a Broadway show, breaking into song in every seen. Then, about midway through the film, the songs virtually disappear. There seemed to be no real stand out track.

The story is good and most of
    the characters are interesting, except for Olaf the comic relief snowman. With the laughs my kids got from the reindeer Sven, Olaf just seems like a totally unnecessary character.

I was really ready to give the film a 5, but the visuals earn a point on their own. the film is stunning to look at.
  14. Dec 3, 2013
    Disney has really out done themselves with this movie. Hands down one of the best films in a very long time from the studio. In my opinion, way better then The Lion King. One of the best animated films ever, really one of the best films of all time.
  15. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge Disney fan, but this film was quite disappointing for those expecting the same attention to detail their films are known for. However, for children, this film will bring great joys. Their first faultier was in the character design of Anna, their primary character. Her design was far too familiar and heavily resembled Tangle's Rapunzel. She bore the familiar round eyes, thin innocent smile, and quirky let-it-loose innocence. The trio of Anna, Christoph, and Sven also felt familiar to the trio of Rapunzel, Flynn, and Maximus in Tangled. Their second questionable decision was the extent (and way) in which they added musical scenes. Two or three pieces of music done correctly would have fit perfectly. However, the music was a distraction. The opening piece didn't excel vocally to set the tone as it should have, and Idina Menzel (Elsa) took us outside of the film and onto broadway. She has a beautiful voice, but the execution in which her voice was utilized took away from the quality of the story. Another huge gap would be the connection between the audience and the King and Queen before their passing. It wasn't as heart-wrenching as it should have been because the audience didn't have that moment where we saw a "smile-worthy" memory in relationship to them and their children. (Perhaps a scene where the whole family played in the snow?) A final detail of concern is that Disney has not noticeably recognized the culture in which Disney Princesses stories are told, however, I had hoped to feel a little more of the Norwegian Culture. Perhaps by having a norwegian cast, instead of the popular celebrities. Expand
  16. Dec 5, 2013
    The scoop for dads&boys. Its a musical and they spemd wayyy too much time singing mediocre songs and not enough story.if you like i sit when i pee and i gotta be free" type music then go see this.. The trailers were basically the only highlights of the movie -the rest was all singing. I think girls& mommies will love it. But don't get roped into seeing it if youre a guy. They could have done so much better with the story. Elsa has a curse. They don't say how she got it or why or anything. Kristoff is shown as a kid for 5seconds and suddenly is a man who comes out of nowhere. The one sister ignores the other with no explanation to her. Big story. Not. My five yr old could have wrote a better story. I would wait to rent on dvd. Expand
  17. Dec 21, 2013
    I have always been a big fan of Disney ever since my childhood, and the image of Disney in my mind has somehow been chipped by “Frozen”. The movie lets me down in various way, including storyline, character development, and music.

The storyline of “Frozen” is quite a straight line. There is hardly any surprise or thrill from the beginning to the end. The movie does have a climax
    probably the part when Hans intends to kill Elsa but it is more the climax of a hill, not a real big mountain: Anna is capable of covering such a distance in a tic-tac to save her sister; Hans miraculously, and ridiculously, is blown backward and knocked out as if a bomb goes off in front of him. All of those actions happen at an unnecessarily slow pace, and with almost no noticeable sound, which totally kills the excitement.

There are many ways to make “Frozen” more ‘heated’. The trolls waking up from the guise of rocks, which is quite a surprising idea, is used twice not to mention how boring the second time is, and whoosh, the surprise just dies; they could have saved the wake up for the second time only, and first time may be just their eyes glowing in the dark before the troll leader approaching the girls’ father. Also, both the exposure of Elsa’s power and the fight in the ice palace are just too ‘peaceful’; why don’t the crowd make more loud noise, and act out their anger? Why doesn’t Elsa show more desperation? Why only two soldiers confront with her later? Why do they all seem so relaxed and ‘polite’ in such a fight? Nonetheless, the climax is still the biggest waste, as it could have been improved easily with the addition of just some minor details: Hans could have been much crueller, Elsa’s pain could have been reflected by more extreme weather, stronger background music could have been played, and Anna’s defrost could have been more glorious and bright.

The advertisement about music production for “Frozen” is not a bluff at all. Indeed, many songs such as “Let it go” or “For the first time in forever” are excellent to listen as singles. However, collectively, the music of the movie is not really successful. First of all, the distribution of songs is not appropriate. Within only 17 minutes, from 8’20” to 25’30”, there are three songs all of which are over 2 or 3 minute long, and which outweighs conversation; while in the latter half of the movie, there are only a few songs. Also, in my opinion, the song “Reindeers are better than people” are not needed; meanwhile, such part that needs atmospheric music like the climax is almost mute.

Character development is another remarkable problem of “Frozen”. The movie is very successful in terms of heroic female characters; however, the development of antagonists is unfairly shallow and unnatural. It is very creative of them to pull “Frozen” out of the common “prince saves princess” theme and to portray Hans as a traitor. But there is a somewhat inconsistency in his actions, and his image is quite weak compared to other characters of “Frozen”, and to other villains created by Disney. The movie would be more exciting if Hans changed side once more at the end, or at least appeared more cunning and cruel. The same misfortune happens to the Duke of Wesselton, who appears in the movie very shortly, and seems to have no impact on the storyline.
  18. Dec 30, 2013
    Frozen is a solid step forward for Disney with a strong plot, great characters, memorable songs, and impressive animation despite its reserved climax.
  19. Jan 4, 2014
    Frozen is a great movie, the visuals are amazing, the story are not so predictable, the movie surprised me, and it's very fun, a great movie, the songs are great, it's one of the best animations movie that I have ever seen.
  20. Jan 10, 2014
    Simply a stunning movie! Easily the best Disney movie this decade. The animations are so well done and the songs are not forced and sound delightful. Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell both did phenomenal jobs voice acting Elsa and Anna. Josh Gad's character Olaf, also added a nice infusion of comedy into this amazing movie.
  21. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie impacted me in a way that tangled, and princess and the frog, and every movie since beauty and the beast could not. It was absolutely phenomenal. The music (which is the best since the lion king), the humor (funniest disney movie of all time), and the not so typical ending. I was expecting it to be cliche, but it was truly a story of family, and how the greatest love of all comes from family (In this case anna, and elsa). The music, the beautiful animation, the laughter, and the amazing story all help FROZEN to be one of my favorite movies this year. You would be more than sorry if you missed seeing this on the big screen. Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2013
    One of Disney's better "princess movies". The story is more interesting than most and, although everything is indeed set right in the end by "true love", it's not the true love you typically expect. The animation and 3-D effects are outstanding. The only weak spot was the score; the lyrics and melodies did not stay with me (unlike say The Little Mermaid).

My grandchildren (boys 7 and 9,
    girl 14), my wife, and I all loved it. The grandchildren cannot stop talking about it. If you have children or grandchildren of an appropriate age, or if you just like good animation, I recommend Frozen very highly. Expand
  23. Dec 28, 2013
    This movie restored my faith in animation.

Before actually seeing the movie, I thought it was going to be a dumb flick about a snowman, just like every other pandering kids movie that has reared its ugly head lately. Thankfully, the advertisements were very inaccurate. Frozen follows the tale of two compelling and relatable sisters who are both struck by chaos when the older sister,
    Elsa accidentally freezes over the country with her ice powers. The younger sister, Ana, goes to break the curse and reunite with her sister.

Everything about this movie hits the right chords with me. There are nostalgic nods to previous Disney movies through subtle pieces of background music and through the animation itself. It also provides fantastic musical numbers that perfectly convey the tone they try to provide. While I'm more of a 2-D animation fan, this movie perfectly displays what can be done in a 3-D structure that couldn't be done in a 2-D movie.
  24. Jan 19, 2014
    Quite possibly the best regular Disney movie ever made. This is a groundbreaking movie for Disney and not only is the story fun and creative, but the music is amazing itself. You may find yourself singing the songs long after you've left the theater.
  25. Jan 21, 2014
    It is an amazing movie for any age. Good story, good characters, and amazing songs. Notice how every single bad review about this movie has been about it being a "musical". Personally I loved every song and think they were beautifully done. Not to mention that the animations for the movie are amazing. As an 18 year old male I can honestly say that I loved the move and would love to see it again before it leaves theaters. Expand
  26. Mar 4, 2014
    Frozen is an enjoyable romp that left me feeling a bit empty. After watching it for the first time, I had difficulty pinning down what exactly the source of that feeling was but I did know that it didn't feel like a Disney movie. Upon a second viewing I confirmed suspicions and found other problems.

I think the language used by the characters would have been enough to prevent the film
    from becoming a classic. The characters speak with a lot of modern colloquialisms, particularly in the first half of the film, which really grates at times. For some reason the writers at Disney have decided that to have a ditzy, innocent female protagonist they have to start her off as an annoying tween. I understand that you want your audience to identify with the characters but it doesn't fit the setting and comes off as forced.

The Musical numbers are good but really lack the timeless quality of the Disney Renaissance musical numbers, in no small part because of the language but also due to having a young feel about them that I associate with some recent Broadway musicals. It's all very high energy, lacking the climaxes and the feeling of deliberate, thought-out pacing leaving the songs feeling a little forced. "Let it Go" has rightfully been getting praise and is definitely the highpoint of the score but even it fails to live up to the scores of "The Little Mermaid" through "The Lion King".

This leads into the problem of pacing with the film in general, the film feels a bit frenetic. It throws in jokes wherever it can, much like Fox Animation and Dreamworks tend to, interrupting the scene it's trying to build. Olaf in particular simply destroys dramatic tension and pacing. That isn't to say that he brings in humor to take the edge off when things might be getting to intense for kids, he incessantly interrupts the process of building tension. Olaf seems to generally be a love or hate character, my girlfriend thought he was the best part of the movie and was less impressed with the film than I was. I simply felt that he was extraneous, Sven provides just the right amount of slapstick by himself and goofy characters and gags are liberally sprinkled in to create more than enough humor without an extra comedic sidekick.

Onto what the movie does really well, CGI. The movie is absolutely gorgeous. Characters are extremely emotive and the snow magic is breathtaking. The imagery of "Let it Go" was amazing and exciting. Watching Elsa explore her powers was a ton of fun and was excellently combined with the musical number. The fight scene with the snow monster was the height of the films animation. Movement was fluid, characters were full of emotion, and tension oozed out of the screen when it wasn't leaving you breathless from action.

There is something that itches about some of Elsa's animations though, I'm not sure if she reminds me of a character from something else or if her facial animations approach the uncanny valley at times but I get this uncomfortable feeling that she's from a direct to DVD movie at times and not because it's bad animation.

I fully recommend Frozen to families with children up to their tweens and to Broadway fans, especially younger ones. Don't go into Frozen expecting a classic Disney musical or another Wreck it Ralph and you'll be fine.
  27. Nov 28, 2013
    Let's face it. Disney is trying to bring back the old in a new, modernized style way. So did they succeed? Unfortunately, not entirely.

One of the flaws of Frozen is the characters and how they are played in the film, which seems odd, as Disney princesses usually work well in its film. With the high hopes of Elsa into play, she unfortunately has very little to do in the film. Her
    character grows, but not in a way that seems realistic. Along with this, Elsa and Anna's relationship occurs for 2 minutes, (at the scene of the party), and for the rest their relationship develops quickly at the climax that feels off. Sadly, the main protagonists are supposed to have a relationship that should develop from hatred through a conflicted passageway to friendship, but it only happens instantly in this film. No development. However, there are still characters that succeed in a way to interest people such as myself. Olaf, one of the "sidekicks" that are present in all Disney films, is a delight. With funny lines and with a original song that brings laughs, I liked him. Unfortunately, NO purpose of him was in the film. According to the directors, Olaf is supposed to connect Anna and Elsa, but he just doesn't. I also really enjoyed the twist at the end with Hans, which purposes the commonality with "perfect" princes in Disney films. Kristoff, Anna's eventual love interest, is also interesting to watch, with growth that feels genuine.

The plot is a fairy-tale, so it's obvious how it ends. One of my issues with Frozen is that the plot, forgets what it tries to explain. The main plot of Anna remembering Elsa is forgotten, Elsa's powers are not explained (which was disappointing to myself), characters like Marshmellow were forgotten, and the side antagonism of the Duke not well developed. Despite this, what I still liked about Frozen was the comedy and the emotional lines. One of the parts that still touches me is that true love is an act of a loving deed to one another and not just a true love kiss. That was touching..

One of the things that saves this movie is the music. The music is beautiful in Disney Fashion. The score flows, it moves, and it makes you feel. The original songs in the film are better than Disney's attempt with "Tangled", but I don't see it even close to matching past Disney film songs. The problem remains, the songs lack similarity. When you listen to Belle's songs in Beauty and the Beast, you hint that there are similar tones and rhythms that play into them, but when you listen to the songs in Frozen, they are completely opposite to each other. One song "Frozen Heart" sounds like an opera song, while "Love is an Open Door" is a modern pop song. "Let it Go" is an amazing Broadway song, while "In Summer" is a comedic song. One song that once again interests me is the combination between "Let it Go" and "For the First Time in Forever", which is beautiful to listen to.

Overall, Frozen has the factors of music and the animation to help itself redeem its lack in characters. The twist and turns in the film add to a nice touch that makes this film, for myself, an enjoyable time.
  28. Nov 30, 2013
    wonderful story line, great animations, graphics and characters. The only negative thing here is that there was to much music. If there was less music in the movie, I would have rated it a 10, but it is a 9 due to the amount of music.
  29. Dec 10, 2013
    Decent Disney move with predictable ending, less action and good characters. I did enjoy it but the truth is that it's nothing special. Overall it's a great family movie. So 6/10 i think is fair
  30. Dec 10, 2013
    I thought Frozen was a great experience in the cinema. The journey that Elsa and Anna go through is worthwhile trip after an arguably shaky first twenty minutes

Once it gets going it really takes off my two daughters (4 & 7) were transfixed throughout and discussed the sisters on the long journey home

For my own tastes, I thought some of the musical numbers were a bit average
    (although a couple of great ones) but I can't remember the last time I was so entranced by truly wonderful animation Expand
  31. Dec 11, 2013
    Great movie. I especially loved the twist at the end. Disney sure has their together in the animated movie department. I never write reviews for movies, and this is the first movie that has compelled me to write a review because it was THAT good.
  32. dtl
    Dec 12, 2013
    One of the two best movies I've seen in quite a while (along with Catching Fire). It has spectacular visuals down to even the most minute details. The story was very well focused, without seeming rushed. The jokes were funny, but used in proper moderation. The voice acting perfectly conveyed the emotions of the piece, and so did the animation. The songs were frequently amazing, especially when Idina Menzel sang, but Kristen Bell did a shockingly good job singing as well. I loved both of them as fitting their characters as well. Elsa (Idina) and Anna (Kristen) are two of my favorite characters in an animated movie ever.

I only expected to see a pretty good movie, but even if I had sky high expectations, it would have exceeded them. This movie restores my faith in Disney's animated movies. I really can't say enough good things about it. Watch this movie.
  33. Dec 14, 2013
    Like vintage mythical animations of Disney had done, Frozen will gift a fond memory for audience long after they leave the cinema. It's filled with stuffs childhood memory is made of; loveable characters, witty humor, great soundtracks and pleasant graphic. A few 3D animations have seen success with the newer technology, but Frozen tops them all with near magical feel which is almost forgotten in recent years. This is one movie that everyone, despite age and preference, can universally enjoy.

The art has certain Disney aesthetic look; it's the best fusion of the old 2D nuance in 3D setting they've created so far. Games and other movies have superior graphic prowess, but there's something subtly captivating about Frozen's art direction. With plenty purplish azure dye in the transparent ice and quite elaborate designs in its detail, it's easy to appreciate the soft yet intricate wintery nature. The use of 3D effect helps the surreal environment, as the movie progresses the visual adapts to its tricky details, such as the falling snow, into astute part of the story. Its ice castle and vast snowy plain give feeling of majesty and also a hint of loneliness.

Characters are simply loveable. Anna, the younger princess, is seriously lacking grace, but her brash and naive demeanor will surely captivate audience. She's downright adorable; it's a near impossible feat not to cheer for her. Elsa, the older one, is more mature and restricted. Her character has the most self-doubt and sadness; in a way the movie is about finding one self and acceptance from others, two things that might not go hand in hand, Elsa embodies the struggle perfectly. It's not often there are two princesses involved, however they have their own expressive personalities and their sisterhood bond is an uncanny delight.

Kristoff as the rugged stud provides some chuckles and rather odd pauper prince role. He appears to have the most common sense and it's pretty funny to see him interact with odder characters. Sven, the reindeer, and Olaf, the magical little snow man, have plenty of humor amongst them. Disney always has the humor relief role, this time the honor goes to Olaf, who is ridiculously naive down to a life threatening fault. His lines are full of puns, out of place clichés and awkward impeccable timing. He delivers more laughs than I expected his corny appearance could do.

The writing is absolutely superb, both for the tender moments, the humorous ones and also the musical soundtracks. Songs are beautifully made, they fit the moments amazingly and the cast deliver fantastic job performing them. It's been a while since an animated movie with such excellent heartwarming story, memorable characters and brilliant artwork grace the theater. If one compares Frozen to Lion King, Mulan, Tarzan or any other Disney classics, they wouldn't be wrong.

Frozen is a timeless journey.
  34. Dec 20, 2013
    Somehow Disney has made a throwback movie that felt both new and a classic at the same time. I was impressed with the simple nature of the characters and the heartfelt storyline. Although the scope gets rather big at the end, what I really liked about this movie was the absence of a truly evil main character. Having a character that is pure evil, driving the plot, often removes the feeling of hope and warmth that comes through clearly in Frozen. This is a great movie for all ages, fun, beautiful to watch and wonderful songs to top it off. Expand
  35. Dec 21, 2013
    I'm not a huge fan of animated movies, and gone to cinema because friend told me so but I'm actually grateful.
    It's one of the best things I've seen ever. It deals with freedom, or rather lack of it, love, fear, loneliness, and duty. It's terrifingly deep even for disney.
    Moreover, a lot of great humor, catching songs, great visuals, and really, really good 3D effects.
    Full 10/10 I'd
    not change a thing in it. Watch it, you won't regret these few bucks. Expand
  36. Dec 26, 2013
    Great animation and music, wonderful story. The song "Let It Go" is powerful and moving. This wasn't my first choice when my wife were deciding which movie to go to but I'm glad I saw it. Thoroughly enjoyable.
  37. Dec 28, 2013
    The early marketing made me think that Frozen was just a cash grab for Disney. While I thought the clip with the snowman and the reindeer was funny, it felt like Disney was making a B-Grade animation that would be good for kids, but no one else. Then the full trailers came out, and I heard the musical numbers, and I got a taste for the story, and suddenly, I was hooked. I could not wait for this movie.

The first two acts of this movie were amazing. I was brought into the world of Arendelle, and into the lives of estranged sisters Anna and Elsa, whom were compelling enough for me to really care about them, and what happens to them. The song "The First Time in Forever" really stood out to me as one of the highlights of the movie, but the real show stopper was the song "Let it Go", preformed by Idina Menzel (Elsa). It is a beautifully written, beautifully preformed song. Another high point for the movie was the snowman Olaf, who shows up during the second act, and brings most of the movie's humor.

The only problem I had with Frozen was it's third act, or more specifically, the second half of the third act seemed very rushed, and felt like a quick, easy wrap up to an otherwise great movie. Overall, Frozen is a very good animation, not just for kids, but for adults as well. It brings back some of that Disney magic you felt as a kid, and leaves you smiling.
  38. Dec 30, 2013
    Long time since I got this kind of Disney feeling from a movie. Great animation, music, songs, characters, and overall atmosphere and character development.
  39. Jan 1, 2014
    A charming, delightful movie. Not in the same league as Beauty and Beast (what animated movie is?) but a solid addition to the Disney canon, which continues an interesting evolution in their approach.

The plot is little weak, but the characters are fine and the songs are good to excellent.

Kristin Bell's Anna is a tsunami of adorableness I hope to see a lot more animation voice work
    from her.

Her character has a delightful song-and-dance number early on that is staged exactly like in a 1940s romantic comedy (I suspect it was actually performed that way live and shot in motion capture).

One bit that is extremely effective, but also an obviously calculated central element of the project, was Idina Menzel's Elsa delivering a knock-em dead, show stopping, power ballad "Let it Go". The parallels to her "Defying Gravity" in Wicked are blatant, the theme of the song is identical (a magical girl deciding not to hide her power any longer and let the chips fall as they may). Clearly the whole project was built around her and this song.

But if you don't see the movie watch "Let it Go" on YouTube. Its that good.

Disney's evolution away from the old-fashioned (and tired, out-dated) girl-seeking-true-love story line continues. In Brave we saw the princess reject the need for romance (at least, right away). Here they tease and confuse the audience with TWO possible love interests for Anna, while in the end going in an entirely different, and emotionally satisfying direction.

The goofy animated snowman Olaf, whom I had sort of dreaded from the promotions, turned out to be delightful with a very funny song, and the source of some good lines from other characters.

(The Mickey Mouse short before the film... ran too long. Once the 3-D gimmick was revealed it got old fast, very fast, with a surprisingly unimaginative stagnant repetitive action sequence. I hope these shorts become standard with the regular feature, there are few showcases for short films, but I hope in the future they are up to the standard of the positively stellar Paper Man.)
  40. Jan 2, 2014
    Excellent. The soundtrack was very memorable, the humor was well done and didn't detract from the plot, and the story was great. What more can be said? Disney has finally remembered how to make a good movie. Highly recommend this.
  41. Jan 8, 2014
    I didn't like Frozen one bit. The movie progresses very slowly and unless your a little kid, it won't keep your attention for more than a few minutes. None of the songs were good and the story has been done over and over again. Even with Pixar stubbing the last few years, Disney has yet to make an animation film worthy to stand amongst Pixar.
  42. Jan 12, 2014
    'Frozen' reminds you of what cinema is about: an original, dramatic story, loveable characters who almost come to life and beautiful images that make you wish you were there.
    argonautis.eu
  43. Jan 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Frozen oozes with fancy computer generated imaging and high detail close ups of crystal snowflakes. The amount of eye candy in this movie explodes as even the minute of details can be seen. Viewers will be in for a ride as Disney takes its watchers on a journey to a Scandinavian world where Princess / Queen Elsa has insurmountable power to create objects out of thin air with snow and ice but becomes lonesome and isolated due to her gifts and Princess Anna who can be seen as the cheerful gullible type that turns into a brave heroine.

The movie has a number of songs that makes Frozen a musical. They set the tone very well between the growing up scene of "Do You Want To Build A Snowman", to the fun and lackadaisical "In Summer" sang by Olaf. As well thought out as the pieces go, there were several places in the movie where the song's execution were awkwardly put in. Some examples of this would be when Anna reaches the ice castle and where it was a serious confrontation only to be changed forcibly by the introduction of a song. Those moments of confrontations where it should further develop the plot were stained by some of the song pieces. Otherwise, the vast majority of songs and their placements were well executed.

The story was also a nice change in pace from the modern Disney franchise movies. The movie sets a good tone that family, specifically sisterhood, is the most powerful force of all that can get through any hardships. If there was anything that can be felt out of equilibrium it would be the beginning wahere it felt rushed to establish why Elsa / Anna never grew up together for the vast majority of their childhood. The plot twists weren't that surprisingly and many scenes were "Disney-fied" (i.e.- person X doesn't get murdered even though they tried to murder person Y, or an impossible event happen where someone shouldn't be able to survive, survives). Overall it was still a very entertaining story.

Frozen tops the chart of many modern animation movies. It excels not only in its graphical fidelity and the story telling; albeit, a little rough on some areas. It was still an excellent movie that shouldn't be missed on the 4K digital screens of movie theaters or IMAX/3D. Parsimony gives this movie a 9/10.
  44. Jan 12, 2014
    This movie was just...wow. Everything is simply perfect. The music is phenomenal, the voice-acting and singing is top-notch, the animation is incredible, there's a huge plot twist towards the end you won't see coming, and it's simply one of the most hilarious movies I've watched in the past 5 years. There's really not much else to say other than "go see it as soon as you can". I don't care how old you are; this movie is a must-see. Expand
  45. Jan 13, 2014
    It's one of the best Disney movies I've seen in years, since 'The Lion King' in 1994; And it deserves much better scores from the critics. It's an absolute must-see for anyone!
  46. Jan 14, 2014
    Where i see this movie i discover a new tipe of movie...
    The animated good movie.
    This Is a diferent movie comparate with the other animated movie.
    Conclusions:Is a good movie
  47. Jan 18, 2014
    Beautiful animation, a masterpiece. A very unique plot that is not cliche at all. The soundtrack is also fantastic! Disney has produced another ageless film!
  48. Jan 24, 2014
    Disney is back with "Frozen". I'm very glad with Walt Disney Pictures because they are showing us that they're working hard with a renewed face. "Tangled", "Winnie the Pooh" and "Wreck-It, Ralph!" are truly jewels but "Frozen" is The Jewel. It's a perfect cyrcle, "Frozen" seems a Broadway musical. Now, I hope with Disney.
  49. Jan 26, 2014
    Frozen is by far the the best animated movie I have seen in a long time. They have blended music and action perfectly. The attention to detail is amazing. There are some predictable moments but over all it is amazing.
  50. Feb 28, 2014
    Seeing this movie made me mourn the late Howard Ashman all over again. The lyrics in this film were so trite, the songs so mediocre (at best) I could hardly watch it. With the exception of the good (not great) "Let it Go", the songs are what kills the picture for me, though some annoying plot lines and story structure issues plague it as well. I know I'm in the minority, but we've grown to accept such low standards these days. The art direction, however, was stellar. It was just such a missed opportunity on many levels. It could have been great, it just wasn't. Expand
  51. Mar 28, 2014
    Never have I been so shocked an appalled at a film. The advertisements displayed a lovely little romp involving a snowman trekking through the ice mountains in order to find his elderly mother named "Kristoff" (a total milf btw).

The reality was a movie which droned on for all eternity and was insanely as interesting as my seventh grade history teacher. Instead, the story was about two
    high-pitched prepubescent imbeciles who live in Chicago during the great depression, and like to sing depressing songs of the absence of their mother.

Safely, I can say I have never EVER walked out on a film 3 minutes after it had begun.
  52. Apr 11, 2014
    I'm a HUGE Disney fan, but this movie is the worst! I was so disappointed when I walked out of the theater in December that I haven't seen it again since. The movie and its songs are so overrated. "The best Disney movie since The Lion King"???? Yeah, right! It wasn't even the best movie of 2013!! Absolute trash. And don't even get me started on the terrible morals in this movie. Encouraging girls to cheat on their boyfriend/fiancé? Stay classy, Frozen. Expand
  53. Dec 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was surprisingly good and to me was not like other predictable Disney movies. IT had a lot of singing but I really enjoyed watching it. Olaf the snowman was my by far favorite character. Expand
  54. Dec 4, 2013
    The animation was amazing and I really just loved the characters, songs and, well, the entire film. I saw it in 3D and really felt immersed in the ice and snow.
  55. Dec 8, 2013
    Best Show of the Year. I can't blame those people who dislike this movie but this a message for those who dislike FROZEN is that they are trying to make it possible for kids and adults.
  56. Dec 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wonderful music, animation, plot, characters, story and clean humor! My favorite movie of 2013. Tangled is one of my favorite newest Disney films and Frozen is now the best. Highly recommend. Great movie for the family! Expand
  57. Dec 13, 2013
    One of my favorite. Ignore the hatters! Haters be hating! The characters and music are awesome. I'm going to defiantly buy the music. I know people who have already seen it 4 times, and are still not bored of it!
  58. Dec 31, 2013
    Some elements in Frozen were good, such as individual characters and even the songs are okay in their own little ways, but the story was lackluster and uninspired, the only moments I felt any sort of story was near the end, and went very slowly through the beginning. I've always been a Disney fan but Frozen just didn't keep my attention and quickly got boring. It's slowly progressing and anti-climactic, and unless your a little kid, it wont keep your attention for more than a few minutes. Expand
  59. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The prologue of the movie is the best piece of cinema in quite some time. It is well-paced, conveys lots of information to set up the story, and is a rollercoaster of emotions. Elsa injured Anna, Anna's memories erased, Elsa have to conceal her powers, the sisters grows apart, Elsa losing control of her powers, Anna growing lonely, their parents died; all that plot points happened in around FIVE minutes! and then there's that amazing music behind the sequence that made the experience so much better.

The animation is great, it's an improvement since Tangled and Wreck It Ralph. The voices were great. The music is great, some of the songs are really good (some layered with subtext which you could only understand on a second viewing), while some I just thought is a bit unnecessary.

The biggest problem of this movie is the inconsistency in quality. The first 30 mins of this movie is just superb, while the rest of the movie just couldn't live up to the expectations set by them. (Don't worry, they're still good; just not THAT good.) The beginning of a movie is supposed to set the tone of the entire movie; the first half hour is fast-paced, serious, dramatic, and wonderful, then you go from that to basically just two people walking in the snow. (I'll have to admit that I may be a bit biased on this, as I'm more concerned about Elsa than Anna; her story/character is just more interesting.) Also, due to the dramatic tone set by the beginning of the movie, some comedy (like Olaf's, even though how funny he is) feels a bit out of place.

Anyway, great movie. A bit inconsistent in quality/tone in some parts, but overall pretty good. The songs are really good and I end up listening to the soundtrack a lot soon after watching the movie.
  60. Jan 7, 2014
    Frozen is a beautifully animated film by Disney about two sisters, Princess Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell) and Queen Elsa (Idina Menzel), whose kingdom has been unintentionally trapped in an eternal winter by Elsa and her snowy powers. Anna joins Kristoff (Jonathan Groff), an ice harvester, Sven, his reindeer, and Olaf (Josh Gad), a talking snowman who dreams of summer, in a hunt to find her sister and end the winter before it is to late. The most memorable scene in the movie was when Elsa sang "Let it Go" on top of the mountain, after leaving her kingdom for what she believes will be forever. I loved this film because it is a heartwarming story with lovable characters and an amazing soundtrack. I would recommend this to people of all ages because it is an inspiring movie that is sure to capture the hearts of the entire family. Expand
  61. Jan 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie beautifully reflects elements of classic Disney movies, yet it also has that modern feel to it. Unlike many other Disney films, this one doesn't focus on fairytales or romance instead it focuses on more relatable and modern topics, such as fear, betrayal and family. The casting choices were amazing, and major props go to Idina Menzel, who steals the spotlight with her Broadway experience. I haven't seen a movie that I loved this much in YEARS.
    The music is beyond incredible rather than having the music there as an underscore, they add another dimension to the film. Having said that, "Let It Go" is undoubtedly the most beautiful moment in the film, when one of the film's protagonists finally accepts herself as who she is. Those disliking the input of music need to go and watch The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and Beauty And The Beast; these movies along with Frozen are true Disney classics.
    Frozen will cater for all ages, and I highly recommend it.
  62. Jan 9, 2014
    Lovely, funny and solid. Includes animation and songs that combined make this movie one of the greatest in animation. Personally, I really appreciated Elsa's paper during the film. It just shows what Disney is all about.
  63. Jan 10, 2014
    Lame songs, Cliche after Cliche, been there done that story.... Shut me out, good prince, bad prince, talking animalt-hings, TRUE LOVE.... blah blah blah....
  64. Jan 12, 2014
    Disney animation has done it again. Frozen is easily the best animation of 2013 and with Wreck-it Ralph from last year Disney not Pixar gets top billing. A
  65. Jan 19, 2014
    This movie is a magical, humorous, adventure that keeps the viewer usually at the edge of their seat. The songs are breathtaking and some are inspiring such as Let It Go. The characters are made with amazing qualities (Except Hans and such), this is the best Disney Movie ever made since the Lion King. And, it teaches you that you don't always need a man's help, just remember to hold on to your sister. You never know when she may leave. Expand
  66. Jan 26, 2014
    Never before have I walked out of a film. I don't understand why this film is advertised and sold as yet another well rounded hallmark Disney animated film. Instead this is a female centric story focusing on sisterhood, aimed at a female demographic with unnecessarily long songs.

Instead of having a story focused upon on the ice queen or her sister, they try and do both. It fails
    especially because the sister, Anna, is a lonely young girl yet is well adjusted and unrealistically happy in her situation. Her clumsiness and the ridiculous timing of Prince Hans' interactions with her is exactly what we'd find in a romantic comedy; i.e. a cliched silly, clumsy girl being lovestruck with the perfect gentleman.

To top this off in the first 20 mins we have to endure 3 long songs, 3! As if 1 isn't enough. Admittedly I loathe singing in cartoons (because they are a distraction, elongate film, serve little purpose and/or are a cliched introspective moment where a character finds resolution in song) but I wished the trailer showed this film for what it really is.
  67. Jan 27, 2014
    Really Good movie, one of the Best of Disney since a long time. It's a movie based on music, so there approximately 7-8 songs and they are all good. There are awesome. Only thing is there is no strong villain.

Fantastic movie I recommend to every person at every age !
  68. Feb 1, 2014
    This is actually one of my favourite movies of the year. The music is some of the best Disney music since the Lion King the animation is beautiful and there's many lovable characters. Please go and see it.
  69. Feb 3, 2014
    制作精良的动画音乐佳作,场景设计都很漂亮,歌都很棒,Let It Go百听不厌,故事虽然平庸了些但不影响这部影片的出色,冰雪特效做得很厉害,登峰造极的水准。
  70. Apr 2, 2014
    Stopped this movie at 45min in and probably will never see the end. As a big time fan of animated motion pictures this made me sad (probably because it got a lot of hype), because I hate musicals and basically this movie is made around one song. The first animated movie that adults probably won't enjoy in my opinion. If this gets a 8.2 i give the musical mama mia a 10, because at least I could finish the movie... maybe a 0 isn't suited either but that score has to go down, it's very misleading

again, just my opinion
  71. Apr 14, 2014
    Crap. Frozen crap.

Just another brainless copy paste movie by disney. I watched for an hour and a half and yet at the end of the movie, I actually felt depressed.
  72. Aug 14, 2014
    This movie is so overrated. The pilot make me confuse. I just don't get it: how did Elsa get her power, how can the rocky -thingies talk and have magical power , why can Olaf talk. This movie is all about the music.
  73. Nov 27, 2013
    *SPOILERS*

Well, I got a chance to see Disney’s “Frozen,” and I must say, it’s pretty cute, but the story did not provide enough details to the lesson(s) that can be learned between Elsa and Anna. The only problem with the story is that it pays too much attention expressing emotions between Elsa and Anna, plus the characters show off with sing-a-longs and a few gags just to bring
    laughter and joy. However, the animation is overall tremendous and the 3D effects are amazing. And as for the songs, none of them kept on pace with the story. Most of the songs show off, except 1½ of the songs such as “For the First Time since Forever (1)” and “Let It Go Even though the movie does show some lessons to learn, but it was not descriptive enough to support the lessons.

The story did not live up to its momentum. It only expressed emotions between two sisters Elsa and Anna. Plus, there’s a bit of a slip up. In the scene “The Party is Over, Close the Gates,” Elsa should’ve used her other hand with her GLOVE on, instead of her bare hand which revealed her icy powers. This slip up proves that the story pays too much attention to the emotions. When you look at the whole story, you can almost see a retelling of Disney and Pixar’s “Brave” based on character references, besides the story.

Speaking of the betrayal of Prince Hans, there are twists in the story. What is twisted about the betrayal of Prince Hans is that prince charming was supposed to save the princess, but instead betrayed the princess for her kingdom. Another twist is Anna choosing between Kristoff, since they love each other, and her sister Elsa who was about to be killed by Prince Hans with his sword. She chose her sister since she truly loved her.

The animation has a lot of snowflake effects, especially when you can see a floating snowflake in 3D. You can almost capture it and see it melt upon your hand, but noticed that it’s all 3D and not real. Disney is an expert on creating real 3D effects to make it look real. The icy power strongly reflected Elsa’s emotions, but did not comply with the story. But for the record, the animation on her icy powers was fascinating, especially for self defense against the Duke of Weselton’s bodyguards.

The characters in the story truly kept on pace with the story, but sometimes show off from each of their point of views. Of course, there’s one character who truly supported Elsa and Anna, and that is Olaf the snowman. Despite his purpose to spend time with summer in his song “In Summer,” not only he gives warm hugs to people, but also gives hope to keep them going. Some minor characters, such as the Duke of Weselton and trader named Oaken, almost even the odds but provided small gags. The main antagonist, Prince Hans, brought the twist at the last half of the movie. He provided the climax for the story. The Abominable Marshmallow was Elsa’s snow guardian. The king and queen in the story were quite short, but did provide a bit of drama in the beginning. The trolls played an important role in the story since they help restore people from any kind of danger. But throughout, the trolls mostly helped Anna since she’s the only person who got help by the trolls (except Kristoff kind of raised by the trolls). The main characters in the story are Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, and Olaf. Elsa is almost the main protagonist in the story since she possessed the icy powers within her, but the real main protagonist was Anna since it is up to her to bring Elsa back to her kingdom and bring summer back as well. Kristoff, with his reindeer Sven, not only saved Anna from a pack of wolves after they left Oaken’s place, but more importantly brought her to the trolls after she got a frozen heart. Speaking of Sven, he reminds me of Maximus from Disney’s “Rapunzel (Tangled),” since it acts like a dog than an actual deer. Olaf is a supporter to Elsa and Anna. He helped Anna escape from the library to get to Kristoff and Elsa.

When characters sing their songs, most of them show off, but Elsa and Anna provided an important song, “For the First Time since Forever,” and a bit of Elsa’s song, “Let It Go.” The song, “Do You Want to Build a Snowman,” almost stayed close to the story based on the age shift from young to adult on Elsa and Anna, but more on a relationship between sisters after Elsa was forced to conceal her icy spell from Anna’s sight after her accident when she was young. However, the last part of the song was a bit sad after their parents’ death at sea. Most songs are showing off.
  74. Dec 2, 2013
    Great movie for girls, really positive messages, that is why I gave it a 9. For myself, I doubt I would have given it above a 3. As a father of two girls, I was very glad that it was a story about two sisters. **minor SPOILERS in the next few lines** I actually had to talk with my daughters (both under 10) to make sure they got that it was an 'act of true love' that saved the day, and not the true love's kiss. I don't think they fully got it that it was the relationship between the two sisters that was essential. Hopefully they will see it again (probably a few times) on video and that message will fully sink in, but I am glad they saw it in the theatre.

For me it was something very different. I am a huge fan of animated movies that can entertain both adults and children, Pixar being my favorite. I dragged my wife to see Pixar movies before our children were born. But this movie did not work for me, I might have enjoyed a few moments here and there, but otherwise I was bored.
  75. Dec 6, 2013
    I was afraid I wouldn't like this movie because of the fact that it is kind of a musical. But honestly, while I wasn't really into that whole idea of the singing aspect, it still plays off pretty well and reminds me a little bit of good old Disney movies like "The Lion King". What really struck me was Josh Gad's portrayal of Olaf. He's one of those characters who's more of a comic relief type of character, but at the same tie plays a big part and brings a lot of heart and love to the role. Overall, Disney animations are coming back! I give it a B+. Expand
  76. Dec 6, 2013
    Now while I do have problems with Frozen I really enjoyed it. It may not be their best but its one of their better ones. The story is cliché and slow at times but it makes up for it with a nice message and some nice twists on a story we’ve heard several times. The characters are likeable nothing amazing but I enjoyed them. The presentation is nice but nothing spectacular. What stands out in this movie are three amazing songs the best I’ve heard from Disney in years! I will admit it is not as iconic as The Lion King or Aladdin but hey it is hard to make a masterpiece and for what they did they did a pretty good job. It is hard to take the Disney formula and constantly make it feel fresh and new but they managed. The reason why some people may not like it is because they enjoy other variations of the story. Also, these guys aren’t Pixar nor do they have the original team that did the 90s Disney movies. I will admit it is not Disney’s best but it is still an enjoyable film the best of the year in fact and the best animated film of the year thus far (although The Wind Rises will probably win). If you are a Disney fan you’ll enjoy yourself and if you are along for the ride you’ll get through it ok. As for me this the best of the new age of Disney and it is a shame the film is being marketed as a dumb comedy. It may not be their best but has some great stuff in here that impressed we in ways that Tangled didn’t. Frozen didn’t have the greatest animation or funniest side characters but its story engaged and surprised me and had some fantastic songs and atmosphere. While Pixar’s films have declined in quality (from excellent to good/ok) Disney’s films have gotten better. They aren’t the greatest but it is enjoyable to see it done again and well if I might add. Really enjoyed this film and cannot wait for Disney’s next flick Big Hero 6. Expand
  77. Dec 8, 2013
    This was amazing! Disney's "Frozen" had great music/songs, animation, characters, etc. But the story plot is kind of similar to "Tangled". But overall "Frozen" made me feel like I was there. The little Mickey Mouse short (before the movie) was actually pretty funny, just like "Frozen". Keep up the good work Disney. I'm giving this an 8.4/10 or a B.
  78. Dec 10, 2013
    Disney's latest takes place in the fjords, where the newly-crowned queen freezes the entire country with her powers. Her sister sets out with burly Olaf to save the day. The plot moves quickly with lots of action and a few short, tuneful songs. The characters have pluck and the wacky snowman (voiced by Josh Gad) is the latest delightful Disney sidekick. What stands out most is the animation: simply beautiful ice and snow design, lovely lighting and wonderful inventiveness. The story is romantic and adult, but the pace, visuals and personality may help it appeal to kids. There's a clever opening short featuring an early Mickey Mouse AND one last gag after the credits. Expand
  79. Dec 21, 2013
    I want to give this movie an 8 because this has not really given a solid plot or at least a storyline that is as epic as most Disney films. However, I will give it a 9 because of the musicality. Everything else about the movie is very refreshing and delightful. It may not be perfect but this is truly an unforgettable film.
  80. Dec 23, 2013
    I expected highly of this movie to be rated and remembered with the likes of Toy Story, Monsters Inc etc. But I had not expected the movie to be like a musical. The songs were not good at all, even if it's not my genre. But the animation was just beautiful. The scenery, characters and special effects were 10/10, the humor is decent and the snowman character can be irritating, depends on your view. If you liked Tangled, give this a shot, just don't expect this to be a masterpiece. Expand
  81. Dec 26, 2013
    For the most part ,it's a decent movie but i just thought it was boring. I saw it on Christmas Day with my family. Some parts were entertaining and and landscape visuals/CGI are amazing in this movie. I just thought the story was Just another typical disney love story. Go and see it if you like Disney love stories. I guess it's a great children's movie as well. But if you're a male you'll most likely find this movie slightly boring. That's just my opinion, however. Expand
  82. Dec 28, 2013
    This movie is awesome if we are looking at it through a child eyes. Finally this Disney movie doesn't try to concentrate only for beauty and marriage. This is not about getting a husband, this is about family which makes it a lot better than other Disney movies.
  83. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Frozen is a movie about two sister-princesses named Anna and Elsa, who was inexplicably born with the power to manipulate ice. Whilst playing she accidentally injures her sister with her magic, causing her hair to gain a strip of white. The king and queen take her to the friendly trolls, who erase Anna's memory of Elsa's powers and tell the king and queen to make sure Anna is never struck in the heart in order to prevent her from freezing forever. Upon hearing this the royal parents isolate Elsa in order to help her learn to control and maintain her powers. This seems to be working out until the parents, in traditional Disney fashion, are tragically killed in a storm. Three years pass and Elsa is becoming queen of Arendelle, and Anna meets a man named Hans who appears to be the love of her life. The two wants to get married, but Elsa denies it because they met each other that day. Anna gets upset and yells at her sister about how she always shuts her out and is never there for her, and incidentally causes Elsa to expose her powers. Elsa runs away in shame, and Anna goes to find her. Besides the two princesses, there is a slew of side characters. One being a bland explorer named Kristoff who helps Anna get up the mountain, a comic relief-reindeer named Sven, and an actually funny talking snowman named Olaf. The story of this movie is very good, and it also throws traditional Disney fans a lot of curve balls. There are a lot of things you think will end up happening, when in the end they really don't. The story is essentially the bet part of the movie for me, while everything else is just mediocre. Besides Olaf the happy go lucky snowman and Anna being a bit of an awkward ditz, all the other characters were very bland. Hans turns into a stereotypical villain who just wants the throne, Kristoff is incredibly bland, and the reindeer is only there for comic relief. It does get a laugh here and there, but Olaf provides a lot more. Even Elsa is very boring, being really anti social and irrationally douchey to her sister. The voice acting on all the characters is great, except for Idina Menzel as Elsa. For me, she felt really disconnected from the animation, talking or singing. The songs in this movie are my biggest gripe. The lyrics are iffy, the transitions from talking to singing are awkward and poorly handled, and the pacing of all of them is very wonky. There are about three songs at the start and two in the middle, leaving the third act completely barren when it comes to songs. Animation is incredible, pairing classic Disney charm with modern animation techniques. Overall this film is great, but it's full of little nitpicks I have that really prevent me from enjoying the full experience. Here are a slew of nitpicks I had. Why does Anna sing the lines "Do you wanna build a snowman?" a scene after their parents die? Their parents just died! Why in the world would you ask if she wants to build a snowman!? The song "Reindeer Are Better Then People" is incredibly stupid and all for filler. The way Kristoff talks for Sven is dumb, but I'm trying to decide if that's better then Sven actually talking. The old man character from Wesselton was idiotic and for the most part unnecessary. Overall, Frozen has a good plot, funny moments, and strong themes, along with a feminist twist that will please many. On the other hand, there's awkward writing, some unimpressive characters, and poor song handling. However, it is a Disney movie, so you've probably already seen it regardless of things you've heard. Expand
  84. Jan 3, 2014
    It looks like the whole world wants to bring the kid out in me between Christmas, Hanukah, Santa Claus, “Elf” the touring Broadway musical, the touring company of “The Wizard of Oz” not to mention the gifts and all the good wishes. How could you walk around without a smile on your face? Should none of that help run to see Walt Disney’s “Frozen”

“Frozen” is loosely based on Hans
    Christian Anderson’s “The Snow Queen” going a few steps further with the modern animation available today. This is a movie ready for a big, wonderful Broadway stage. There are original songs written by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez with “Let It Go” sung by Idina Menzel and “Tomorrow For the First Time Forever” sung by Menzel and Kristen Bell particular standouts.

The screenwriter Jennifer Lee, working on the story by her, Chris Buck and Shane Morris, present a princess, Elsa (Idina Menzel) who becomes a queen, and her sister Anna (Kristen Bell), adding two more memorable female figures to stand beside Cinderella, Snow White in the canon of Walt Disney’s loving, lovable and strong women.

What would a Disney film be without some lovable creatures? “Frozen” has them but I want my own Olaf the snowman (voiced by Josh Gad) and the reindeer Sven or I’ll even settle for one of the trolls.

The story is simple with Elsa having the power to freeze her country and Anna wanting to thaw her sister’s heart. Would it surprise you that love solves all the problems? I didn’t think so. We have a prince Hans (voiced by Santino Fontana) chasing after naïve Anna while Kristoff (voiced by Jonathan Groff), the youngest of 13 sons and owner of Sven, who is an ice dealer and will lose his income if everything is frozen.

The production rates in the same class as “The Little Mermaid”, “The Lion King” and “Beauty and the Beast” and it is not hard to see “Frozen” on stage. It is also not hard to imagine every little girl, and a few older ones, wanting Elsa’s blue ice gown.

This is an animated film for the whole family which will entrance the kids and hold the interest of the adults and more than one will be buying the soundtrack, including me, just to hear Idina Menzel belt out “Let It Go” along with her and Bell doing “Tomorrow For The First Time Ever” which is a song you sing walking out of the theatre and/or on the shower.

For the record Jennifer Lee is the first woman to direct an animated film, produced by Disney, along with co-director Chris Buck.
  85. Jan 3, 2014
    movie has really unpredictable ending and that terrific. Movie also had decent 3d effects ,Sad part is mediocre songs and commonly used jokes are hard to tolerate. Kids may be like it but adult viewers may had a tough time.
  86. Jan 7, 2014
    I took my 5 year old son to see Frozen and he loved it, because it's animated. He loves anything animated. I love animated movies but I hate musicals, and this was unfortunately a musical.

I simply cannot understand why Disney would force this movie as a musical. The best animated movies of our time has demonstrated that singing and dancing simply doesn't add any value. Every moment
    they can, someone bursts out in a song. Why? Why does someone have to sing how they feel. This seems to be a lazy person's strategy to tell a story. It is lame and outdated. This movie could have been done without it.

Otherwise, the animation was good, story line was average but movie was far from edgy. Only for kids really.

Pixar has mercifully shown us that the Disney classical animated musical is dead and useless, and that animated movies can be for adults too. Disney, please tell your story without some lunatic bursting out in a song.
  87. Jan 6, 2014
    Frozen from the creators of Tangled is amazing smart not really fun I mean this story is sad by the time "Do you want to build a snowman" is one of the sadist song's ever. The story those is so intense and Elisa is the most human villain I ever seen but I mean she is not the villain
  88. May 24, 2014
    Frozen is one of the best Disney releases in a long time and reminds you of what they are capable of. The story is interesting and the songs make the movie a delightful experience.
  89. Jan 13, 2014
    This is hands down, one of the best Disney movies of the decade. The animation is flawless, the music incredible and there are some really great moments that hit the heart.
  90. Jan 20, 2014
    There are few movies I would give a 10 but Frozen definitely deserves it! Disney departs from their usual fairytale formula but unlike Brave, Frozen capitalizes on the change up. The movie looks absolutely stunning and is filled with humor and charm, courtesy of Olaf, from beginning to end.

The songs in Frozen are biased towards the first half of the movie and more duets between the
    sisters or another solo for Elsa would have been appreciated. With Idina Menzel offering a spectacular vocal performance it was too bad she only had one big number. Anna (Kristen Bell) and Olaf (Josh Gad) also stun with their vocal prowess in singing and character voices respectively.

In short, Disney has never filled a movie with more magic than they did with Frozen.
  91. Jan 21, 2014
    This is a great movie worthy of being rated among the pantheon of Disney heritage such as Aladdin and Lion King. The main songs beautiful and well done, the animation is beautiful, the story is endearing and touching and a wonderful subversion of the normal true love trope. I have some minor gripes dealing with continuity, and a couple of the songs are actually pretty lame, so no 10/10, but this is a new classic to be sure. Expand
  92. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm putting this down as the most overrated film of the year. It's a purely artificial film with a full collection of very forgettable musical pieces. It's like Disney thinks they can simply whip up a bunch of great singers, superb computer graphics, and whimsical characters and everything would work. It doesn't. You can't make me care about characters with no depth. If it wasn't for the Olaf character, this movie would easily get a big fat donut.

The only thing this film accomplished is making me want to go back and watch a masterpiece in Beauty and The Beast (10/10). After you watch this film, you'll see the similarities and why Frozen doesn't hold a candle to it.
  93. Jan 25, 2014
    I'll be brief here. What makes good movie a great one for me?
    Five things: good story, amazing characters, some well-timed pieces of comedy, beautiful visual appearance and most importantly, the music. With one of the greatest Disney soundtracks, this movie had it all. It was propably the best movie I've seen in years. Thank you, Disney.
  94. Jan 26, 2014
    I thought the animation and design attention to detail was amazing. everything else was just meh. Possibly the only reason I will buy this later is because my daughter loved it.
  95. Jan 27, 2014
    excellent animated feature! It revives the traditional musical and fairy tale style of Disney but with unexpected unpredictable resolution to the story.
  96. Jan 30, 2014
    The hype is real.
    Nostalgia is a very strong thing..But if you remove it from your mind this might end up being your favorite Disney film ever. It blew me away. Worth the ticket for Elsa's 'Let It Go' alone, steals the whole show. Well done Jennifer Lee
  97. Jan 31, 2014
    One of the best Disney films. The songs are top-notched. The storyline was awesome. The characters are distinguishable, has its own role and fits perfectly to everything else. I would watch this several times again.
  98. Feb 5, 2014
    The very first thing that caught my eyes was the level of details. I have not noticed such details of simulation even in a large budget film. The story and the screenplay were well written. It was a complex topic said in way that anyone would get it. I found the theme to be "Never be afraid of your Fears". It was a well directed Animated film.One dialogue I cannot get over is when a mother tell her some "The Queen has come up age" and the kid reply's "Mom, that's not my fault". Expand
  99. Feb 11, 2014
    A fabulous film! Wonderfully crafted & beautifully animated! The story of Anna & Elsa is both beautiful & touching. "Frozen" assures the fans that disney still has the magic.
  100. Feb 21, 2014
    Heartfelt, picturesque, surprisingly amazing, and filled with very memorable catchy soundtracks. This is what Disney's Frozen is made off. A newly engaging popcorn flick that tends not only visually but awesomely a fun time you will ever watched in this year.

Rating: 3.5 / 4

1. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Dec 13, 2013
    The film transcends its various borrowings and occasional stumblings with a modern, exuberant spirit that draws heat from Broadway-style musical numbers and, before and after everything else, from marvelous 3-D animation
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Dec 9, 2013
    Not quite up there with "Tangled," but a solid addition to the canon. Catchy tunes will have you humming, but the hunt for the next "The Little Mermaid" continues...
  3. Reviewed by: Robbie Collin