7.9

1. Sep 2, 2014
    Fruitvale Station represents much of the evils in the world today. Ryan Coogler reveals his promise as a first-rate writer/director. The film is bold and emotionally draining--more than I'd like it to be, unfortunately.
  2. Dec 26, 2013
    When a movie is less than and hour and a half, you would think it could be gripping the entire time, but it had too many moments of boring scenes. It shows you what happens, but doesn't go into what the point of the movie is. The movie could have been much better with a different director.
  3. Aug 12, 2013
    The movie is a story about the last day of life of Oscar Grant, a 22-year old small criminal in Bay Area who was shot and killed by a police officer on January 1, 2009.

The director of the movie is Ryan Coogler, and this is his first big film. The movie is done extremely well: casting, performing, directing, cinematography. It is no wonder that the movie already won several film

The director of the movie is Ryan Coogler, and this is his first big film.

It is no wonder that the movie already won several film festival prizes (Sundance and Cannes among them).

Even though movie critics love the film, the director was famously accused of the fact manipulation. If you state that the movie is after real events, if you show photographs of real people, you cannot re-invent the truth. In the movie Oscar is shown as an extremely likable, friendly guy. There are some scenes there that never happened, and some important facts omitted. This makes this docu-drama questionable. But if ignore the facts, the movie is must see…
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    Let me get this out of the way immediately. This isn't a bad film. It's not. The acting is fine, and Michael B.Jordan's performance is great. The viewer can't help but feel sympathy towards the character of Oscar Grant. The problem with the film is that it is extremely manipulative and it strains to evoke as much emotions from the viewer in the cheapest ways possible. The movie justLet me get this out of the way immediately. This isn't a bad film. It's not. The acting is fine, and Michael B.Jordan's performance is great. The viewer can't help but feel sympathy towards the character of Oscar Grant. The problem with the film is that it is extremely manipulative and it strains to evoke as much emotions from the viewer in the cheapest ways possible. The movie just doesn't come off as "real", and instead ends up feeling like "Oscar Bait". It just seems that the director has to spoon-feed the viewer how they're supposed to feel. I still liked the film overall and thought some parts were damn good. My rating: 6.4/10 Expand
  5. Feb 22, 2014
    this is an important film, but, sadly, not a great one. this story, in my mind, accurately reflects the current value society places on a black life vs. a white one, which will make it distasteful to some. i'm not a fan of this whole hand held camera, home made movie effect, and it doesn't really work here, but the talent of the lead male actor is evident & a treat to behold. mythis is an important film, but, sadly, not a great one. this story, in my mind, accurately reflects the current value society places on a black life vs. a white one, which will make it distasteful to some. i'm not a fan of this whole hand held camera, home made movie effect, and it doesn't really work here, but the talent of the lead male actor is evident & a treat to behold. my relatively low score reflects the lack of craftsmanship with which the film is made, and the few insights it provides. it does, however, serve to remind us of the tragedy of the loss of even 1 life needlessly, which seems to happen all too often amidst the poor. Expand
  6. Aug 10, 2013
    If this movie purported itself as a fictional story, I might give it a 9 or 10. It has incredible acting from the entire cast. Michael B. Jordan is a guaranteed star in the making (if he's not one already). The problem is that the filmmaker Ryan Coogler chose to make this about a true story and when you do that, your movie also has to be judged on whether it is an accurate reflectionIf this movie purported itself as a fictional story, I might give it a 9 or 10. It has incredible acting from the entire cast. Michael B. Jordan is a guaranteed star in the making (if he's not one already). The problem is that the filmmaker Ryan Coogler chose to make this about a true story and when you do that, your movie also has to be judged on whether it is an accurate reflection of said story. He doesn't shy away from the truth about Grant's troubled past, which is probably why so many unfamiliar with the case are willing to trust that he is not manipulating their emotions with omissions and fabrications. That said, I would expect professional reviewers to do a better job of questioning movies like this. While I am very sympathetic to its message, I think movies like this do a disservice to the cause if they are not deeply rooted in the truth. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2013
    This movie is less about documenting injustice and racism and more about invoking sympathy and compassion by bending truth and leading viewers into accepting an unrealistic and biased view of black sub-culture. The movie was well acted with great cinematography, too bad it distorted reality.
  8. Dec 28, 2013
    Not sure what I'm missing here. I've been reading all of these stellar reviews for MJ's acting for months, but I was pretty underwhelmed. Relatively nice guy goes through a pretty normal day and then gets shot. Ok. We see that he loves his daughter and went to jail. Ok. That's about it for character development and there is not a single scene where I thought, "Wow, that guy is a greatNot sure what I'm missing here. I've been reading all of these stellar reviews for MJ's acting for months, but I was pretty underwhelmed. Relatively nice guy goes through a pretty normal day and then gets shot. Ok. We see that he loves his daughter and went to jail. Ok. That's about it for character development and there is not a single scene where I thought, "Wow, that guy is a great actor!" I just see the guy from Parenthood saying "Bruh" a lot, which has to be the most annoying slang EVER. A few nice scenes throughout, but overall...meh. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Patrick Gamble
    Jun 5, 2014
    It's Coogler's confrontational depiction of police brutality and his attempts to represent the society he aims to inspire and inform that makes Fruitvale Station such essential viewing.
  2. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 5, 2014
    While admitting the man’s flaws, Coogler chooses to give Oscar the benefit of the doubt, which is precisely what he didn’t get on that platform just after midnight struck.
  3. Reviewed by: Simon Braund
    Jun 2, 2014
    A deeply moving drama played out on the small stage of ordinary people’s lives. An unforgettable performance from Jordan invests Grant with real humanity, while Coogler’s unvarnished script and sure-handed direction propel the film to its inevitable, terrible conclusion.