7.2

1. Nov 7, 2014
    Funny Games is for all intents and purposes a snuff film. I am not easily offended (I love A Clockwork Orange, for example), but this movie is the most vile and offensive piece of trash I have ever watched. I never saw the European original, but have read that it is identical to this one. There is no message, no lesson, nothing of value conveyed to the audience. What's more, through theFunny Games is for all intents and purposes a snuff film. I am not easily offended (I love A Clockwork Orange, for example), but this movie is the most vile and offensive piece of trash I have ever watched. I never saw the European original, but have read that it is identical to this one. There is no message, no lesson, nothing of value conveyed to the audience. What's more, through the use of the fourth wall, the director literally mocks the audience, telling the viewer that they are going to watch this poor family get tortured, and even when they finally get the upper hand, I'm going to hit the rewind button (literally) and replay the scene so the brutal sadism can continue. At this point you realize that you are just being toyed with, so what's the point of continuing to watch? Any "suspense" is a hoax; and you realize it was all just a bunch of red herrings to keep you focused on the family's hopeless demise, including the brutalization of a child. I don't know how anyone can find this "art house" film entertaining or engaging in any way. I give it a "1" only out of respect for the quality performances of Naomi Watts and Tim Roth. But whatever possessed them to take on this putrid film, I have no idea. Expand
  2. Aug 27, 2010
    Michael Haneke gets his point across, but has to sacrifice all semblance of entertainment to do so. It's a shame because there was a lot of talent behind this film.
  3. Mar 13, 2011
    ... its not enough to make a movie mix every kind of violence possible and find that - because violence tends to be shocking - the movie itself will have some impact ...

the plot of this film is an empty sequence. No point is madeâ
  4. Apr 5, 2011
    Haneke's attempt at creating "unbearable cinema" ultimately failed with this film, in my opinion. I found it quite boring because it is overly focused at trying to provoke emotions from the audience and in doing so lost all meaning. There was no plot, no build up, nothing. I quicker recommend that one watched paint dry before I recommend this film for anyone.
  5. Apr 6, 2012
    I absolutey love this film! This is a psychological thriller -although not psychologically challenging- that will keep you in suspense from the beginning to the end. Things start slowly and they build up little by little. I know this movie can be very disturbing for some, perhaps even unbearable; but others will get caught, haunted by it. We should also consider that this is not a movieI absolutey love this film! This is a psychological thriller -although not psychologically challenging- that will keep you in suspense from the beginning to the end. Things start slowly and they build up little by little. I know this movie can be very disturbing for some, perhaps even unbearable; but others will get caught, haunted by it. We should also consider that this is not a movie that aims to teach you something. Not at all! After all, that is not the purpose of a movie -or at least this type of movies-, the 'lesson' you get from a movie is an extra! Nevertheless, if a movie moves you, and makes you feel strong, deep emotions -either positive or negative- then, there has to be something special and/or great about that film. I did feel this movie, intensely!. Undoubtedly, the reactions that people have about Funny Games, are antagonistic, but many, as myself, probably feel that this is a movie to keep at home, in our collection! One thing I celebrate about this movie, is the ending....it says 'bye' to predictable, happy endings;not that there is something wrong with happy endings, but it is good to see something different every now and then. A solid 9, for sure! Expand
  6. Jan 22, 2013
    Try to be a masterpiece, but to no avail.
  7. Nov 8, 2012
    The fact that Naomi Watts is still able to give one of the year's very best performances in a film that doesn't even deserve her presence proves just how talented she is.
  8. Mar 30, 2014
    This movie knows what it wants to be and supports everything about itself. If you love movies with sarcastic evil funny characters and an interesting idea, this is for you.
  9. Dec 26, 2013
    I think its name is "Funny Games" because is the film the one is playing with the watcher. Some parts of the movie are very boring, but is very realistic in so many ways.
  10. Feb 15, 2014
    The remake (U.S) version of the film is not as good, let alone effective as the first. I found the film disappointing. Maybe because I originally had high expectations for it. I will say if your going to watch the film, lower your expectations a bit.
  11. Oct 11, 2014
    This is a twisted piece of social commentary which test the audience's patience in a way I feel is beneficial to the film. All the characters are well played and there is a real sense of tension throughout.

Not an easy watch, and not one to watch while in a good mood, but a very gripping film regardless.
  12. Jun 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Under weighted by all of its cliches and terrible dialogue, Funny Games is nothing more than an excuse to sell movie tickets.

Plot:
    The film starts out with a family of 3, a mother, a father, and a son who is on their way to the summer vacation home where this movie is taken place. The movie hits us with a heavy-metal song as soon as the title appears, it does not have anything to do with the movie itself, kind of random that it is there. The family pulls up and unpacks everything that they had brought with them, then they hear someone from the backyard. Two men with white golf suits on (similar to the costumes in A Clockwork Orange) ask for eggs, the family gives them some eggs as they requested. The two men request more eggs, the family tries to force the two men away, but one of the men gets angry and breaks the dad's leg with a golf club. Instead of trying to kill these idiots who broke into their house, the mother and the son try to comfort the father while the antagonists keeps them hostage.

The two main villains force the family to play games with them in order to stay alive, one of the two men asks the mother and the father betting they will be alive by 9:00 A.M the next morning. Why can't the mother or the son who is not injured just kill these men, and why are they forced to make a bet? Anyway, the two men force the mother to strip while the father and the son painfully watch her, we then get a short story from the two men mentioning their pasts with each other, this has nothing to do with the story line, and it is never explained what is causing these men to torture this family.

The son tries to find a way to stop these men by sneaking out of the house, he tries to climb over a fence to the neighbors house, but finds they are dead implied that they have been killed by the same men. Instead of going to another house and getting help, the son turns back around to go back to his family where the sadistic mad men are. The son grabs a shotgun he finds upstairs and attempts to kill one of the men, but of course is fails to go off and the man grabs the shotgun from him. The son is forced back downstairs with his mother and father, the two mad men play a small game of eeny meeny miny moe to see who will die first, the last word ends on the son, he tries to escape but he his shot off-screen.

The two sadistic men then leave the house to go get something, we then get a seven minute conversation between the mother and the father losing the life of their son. This scene only has one camera shot, and goes no where with the plot besides talking about calling the police and only shows them weeping. The mother tries to get the father to come with her, but unfortunately with the father's broken leg he cannot leave with her. The mother then tries to call for help on the street, why can't she just knock at someone else's door to get help? Anyway, a car comes up then the screen fades back to the father in pain.

The two sadistic mad man capture the mom again and forces them to continue their game. The mom is forced to decide what to do next, to kill her husband slowly with a knife, or kill him quickly with a shotgun that is lying right in front of her. The mom finally does the right thing and picks up the shotgun and kill one of the sadistic mad men, but that is overshadowed by the other man who is still alive. The last mad man alive then picks up a T.V remote and initiates breaking the 4th wall by rewinding the entire scene to pretend his partner never died. There are so many things wrong with this it's is too confusing to talk about, and of course, this is never explained, thanks movie for making your plot worse than it already is. So after bringing his partner back to life, the attempt to grab the shotgun ultimately fails, one of the men then takes the shotgun and kills the dad.

The scene then transitions to the next morning the two men take the mom all tied up in a row boat, once again she tries to escape by grabbing a knife and cutting the rope, but fails and is thrown in the water. The two men then go to another house backyard and asks the neighbor for more eggs, implying that they will do this again, the movie then ends with the same awful music it had in the beginning.

Final Opinion:
    Funny Games is a poorly directed film by a foreign director, the film was remade 10 years prior to this movie's remake. The director seemed to have wanted more attention for this film by making the movie all over again, just with American actors. Naomi Watts and Tim Roth completely embarrasses them selves by poorly acting in this film. This movie overall does a good job of keeping you in your seat hoping the movie will get better but seeing that the ending sucked.

This is hands down, the worst movie I have ever seen, the movie is so slow of getting to its main point: kill the family. The movie tries to be an "Art Film" this is in no means an art film of any sort. Don't even look at this film.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    Mar 20, 2013
    The film is merciless in its depiction of death and suffering, Pitt and Corbet are perfectly cast, and Watts, who also served as executive producer, gives a disturbingly raw performance.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Mar 19, 2013
    Brutal, sadistic yet well-made statement about how violence is portrayed in media and our reaction to it.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 19, 2013
    In the end, the difference between "Funny Games" and Hollywood schlock horror may only be a matter of breeding. Funny Games is "Saw IV" with a PhD.