7.5

1. Aug 27, 2010
    Michael Haneke gets his point across, but has to sacrifice all semblance of entertainment to do so. It's a shame because there was a lot of talent behind this film.
  2. Mar 13, 2011
    ... its not enough to make a movie mix every kind of violence possible and find that - because violence tends to be shocking - the movie itself will have some impact ...

the plot of this film is an empty sequence. No point is madeâ
  3. Apr 5, 2011
    Haneke's attempt at creating "unbearable cinema" ultimately failed with this film, in my opinion. I found it quite boring because it is overly focused at trying to provoke emotions from the audience and in doing so lost all meaning. There was no plot, no build up, nothing. I quicker recommend that one watched paint dry before I recommend this film for anyone.
  4. Apr 6, 2012
    I absolutey love this film! This is a psychological thriller -although not psychologically challenging- that will keep you in suspense from the beginning to the end. Things start slowly and they build up little by little. I know this movie can be very disturbing for some, perhaps even unbearable; but others will get caught, haunted by it. We should also consider that this is not a movie that aims to teach you something. Not at all! After all, that is not the purpose of a movie -or at least this type of movies-, the 'lesson' you get from a movie is an extra! Nevertheless, if a movie moves you, and makes you feel strong, deep emotions -either positive or negative- then, there has to be something special and/or great about that film. I did feel this movie, intensely!. Undoubtedly, the reactions that people have about Funny Games, are antagonistic, but many, as myself, probably feel that this is a movie to keep at home, in our collection! One thing I celebrate about this movie, is the ending....it says 'bye' to predictable, happy endings;not that there is something wrong with happy endings, but it is good to see something different every now and then. A solid 9, for sure! Expand
  5. Jan 22, 2013
    Try to be a masterpiece, but to no avail.
  6. Nov 8, 2012
    The fact that Naomi Watts is still able to give one of the year's very best performances in a film that doesn't even deserve her presence proves just how talented she is.
  7. Mar 30, 2014
    This movie knows what it wants to be and supports everything about itself. If you love movies with sarcastic evil funny characters and an interesting idea, this is for you.
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    I think its name is "Funny Games" because is the film the one is playing with the watcher. Some parts of the movie are very boring, but is very realistic in so many ways.
  9. Feb 15, 2014
    The remake (U.S) version of the film is not as good, let alone effective as the first. I found the film disappointing. Maybe because I originally had high expectations for it. I will say if your going to watch the film, lower your expectations a bit.
  10. Oct 11, 2014
    This is a twisted piece of social commentary which test the audience's patience in a way I feel is beneficial to the film. All the characters are well played and there is a real sense of tension throughout.

Not an easy watch, and not one to watch while in a good mood, but a very gripping film regardless.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    Mar 20, 2013
    The film is merciless in its depiction of death and suffering, Pitt and Corbet are perfectly cast, and Watts, who also served as executive producer, gives a disturbingly raw performance.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Mar 19, 2013
    Brutal, sadistic yet well-made statement about how violence is portrayed in media and our reaction to it.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 19, 2013
    In the end, the difference between "Funny Games" and Hollywood schlock horror may only be a matter of breeding. Funny Games is "Saw IV" with a PhD.