6.4

1. carls
    Aug 3, 2009
    Movie was waaaay too long. Boring. They should have copied South Park and put a counter so that they could count the number of times they used the F word. It's not shocking. It's not offensive. It's just stupid. The fim maker needs to grow up. Sandler sucked in this film. Will never pay for another Sandler film until I know exactly what it is. This one was the worst film I Movie was waaaay too long. Boring. They should have copied South Park and put a counter so that they could count the number of times they used the F word. It's not shocking. It's not offensive. It's just stupid. The fim maker needs to grow up. Sandler sucked in this film. Will never pay for another Sandler film until I know exactly what it is. This one was the worst film I have seen in 10 years. That's no joke. And neither was (un)funny people. Expand
  2. LeoS.
    Aug 3, 2009
    Far too long and NO one in the theater laughed at any of the lame jokes. Was it necessary to use F... so often?
  3. SolomonG.
    Aug 8, 2009
    Relentlessly repetitive. Frustrating for what it promises but never delivers. Watch Peter Falk...Cassavetes, if you want an American experience of a existential European film. Biggest sin: it is rarely funny.
  4. AtticusM
    Oct 14, 2009
    One of the most unnecessarily depressing and brutally unfunny movies in a very long time.
  5. MiKE
    Dec 23, 2009
    Why do these movies have to be so vulgar? It sucked at the begingiing. But it got better at the end. still a bad movie. Not Funny.
  6. MikeG
    Aug 2, 2009
    A self-serving disaster. Apatow casts his wife, his kids, his friends and hopes the whole thing will work out. So puzzling is the fact that the standup sequences lack insight and, worse, actual funny jokes. A better title would have beeN "Cocks & Cameos." Sandler's performance was fine, at times wonderfully dramatic, but his story is cheapened by a ridiculous subplot involving A self-serving disaster. Apatow casts his wife, his kids, his friends and hopes the whole thing will work out. So puzzling is the fact that the standup sequences lack insight and, worse, actual funny jokes. A better title would have beeN "Cocks & Cameos." Sandler's performance was fine, at times wonderfully dramatic, but his story is cheapened by a ridiculous subplot involving (surprise) Apatow's wife and snockering kids. It's a conceit that derails the whole picture. Shame. And certainly not funny. Expand
  7. VivecaB
    Oct 19, 2009
    The worst film I have ever seen. I was in the cinema with about 50 other people...who were actually trying to find funny bits to laugh at. We were all sat in silence. People started leaving after an hour. A complete waste of money. It just went On an On and On and On and On and On.
  8. AlexB
    Dec 29, 2009
    The most boring movie of the year. My wife gives it 0.
  9. MikeC.
    Jul 31, 2009
    Way too long and not believable.
  10. babettecooper
    Aug 2, 2009
    i gave it a 1 for the very few laughs and for Adam Sandlers performance which was, at times, good...... the rest was looong , boring, self indulgent.
    Poor Adam Sandler, he must not be able to say "NO" to Judd Apatow and got himself into this mess of a film. Sad for Sandler and sad for the audiences that were literally sighing with boredom in my theatre!
  11. EddieW
    Aug 2, 2009
    Another lame dick joke bore fest that is 146 minutes!!! 146 minutes? Are you kidding me? Why doesn't anyone call these crapy Apatow movies out for exactly what they are, "utter garbage!" Stop telling me this crap is sophisticated and funny. I've seen funny movies and NONE OF THESE APATOW FILMS ARE FUNNY. Knocked up and Forty year Old Virgin sucked too (and were WAY too long!
  12. Branden
    Aug 3, 2009
    I was bored to death with this movie. The only good things about the movie were Jonah Hill and Aziz Ansari.
  13. MattM
    Aug 6, 2009
    Apatow knows how to write funny dialogue. It's too bad he doesn't know how to write serious dialogue, or a cohesive story for that matter. Funny People felt like a somewhat good movie tacked onto a sad attempt at a love story. All of Apatow's funny stuff seemed likes it belongs on a stage being delivered by a stand up rather than mashed up into a terrible movie. Big Apatow knows how to write funny dialogue. It's too bad he doesn't know how to write serious dialogue, or a cohesive story for that matter. Funny People felt like a somewhat good movie tacked onto a sad attempt at a love story. All of Apatow's funny stuff seemed likes it belongs on a stage being delivered by a stand up rather than mashed up into a terrible movie. Big disappointment, by far the worst Apatow movie. Expand
  14. ThomasL
    Dec 7, 2009
    Unfunny and verging on the revolting. I give it a star each for the two young ladies who delivered nice performances. You know what? Men, when they get together, unless they're gay, tend to talk about women's parts, not their own. If standup comedians are different, they should resist making movies about them. Utter tripe.
  15. BradyC
    Jul 31, 2009
    Three hours long and only one hour was funny, it's like there's two movies crammed together here. If you saw the Comedy Central Special, don't bother paying to see the movie.
  16. EliP
    Jul 31, 2009
    Half the theater was checking their phones to see when this would end.
  17. TomT
    Aug 1, 2009
    What a loser movie! What is a "dramedy" anyway, laughing at a funeral or cracking jokes in intesive care while other are in emotional agony? That used to be called rude and stupid. Who thinks penis jokes or a fat comedian screwing entertaining, 11 yr olds? I came for a laugh and left within 20m despite dropping $30.
  18. GregH
    Aug 1, 2009
    Absolutely and totally offensive. The continuos references to the male anatomy and the constant bombardment of the F-word shows a total lack of intelligence by the creators. i cannot believe that jokes referring to the Holocaust and Hitler can be tolerated by the Jewish community. A complete waste of money and time.
  19. bird
    Aug 13, 2009
    This movie had some gut-bustingly funny lines, but it is at least 30 minutes too long and veers wildly between being funny and being wince-inducing. Hard to recommend.
  20. DavidW
    Aug 3, 2009
    I wanted to walk out after an hour. It was not that funny, very misleading title of a movie.
  21. kevini
    Aug 3, 2009
    This is a typical adam sandler movie, he thinks too much of himself, it was way to long and a combination of snorefest and chickflick, and whats this love affair with seth rogan, every other word is about someones anatomy, worse movie of summer so far!
  22. Kenny
    Nov 4, 2009
    Apatow is Apatow, Sandler as Sandler and Rogen as Rogen ... That is the problem of this film. Boring, obvious, heavy, is not funny at any time and it takes too long for a comedy without much substance. Pretentious as her own. At the most is missing an Eric Bana is that although his character is not much more than if given a thousand times this bunch of comedians " super intellectuals".
  23. NormG.
    Jul 31, 2009
    Writer director Judd Apatow sets a world record for penis jokes in Funny People. I didn't laugh at one of them but most of the audience was roaring. To such an extent that I am seriously worried about the level of intelligence of main stream America. There were actually two funny jokes in the movie. I wouldn't repeat them here . . . even though I am tempted . . . since you might Writer director Judd Apatow sets a world record for penis jokes in Funny People. I didn't laugh at one of them but most of the audience was roaring. To such an extent that I am seriously worried about the level of intelligence of main stream America. There were actually two funny jokes in the movie. I wouldn't repeat them here . . . even though I am tempted . . . since you might not make it far enough into the movie to catch them. This is long long movie as an attempt is made to meld the serious (i.e. "unsuccessful") Adam Sandler with the funny ("successful") Sandler. His character (a stand up comedian and big movie star of crummy movies) tries to be funny as he attempts to build meaningful relationships in his sad lonely life. The problem is Sandler doesn Expand
  24. Nov 26, 2011
    It was pretty terrible. The movie hasnt all the funny and while the acting was good, It never was interesting. Also the insanely long run time drags the film on long then what it should have ended it. I didnt like it all.
  25. Mar 7, 2011
    Wow this movie was terrible, don't let the name fool you it's not funny, it's not even entertaining, a huge let down for fans of Adam Sandler, an absolutely terrible movie.
  26. Dec 31, 2011
    This was the worst "comedy" I have ever seen. First of all, Apatow should stay the heck out of drama from now on. Second, Sandler sucks as a dramatic comedy actor (history has shown us this plenty of times before). I expected it to be good but the entire film was simply trash that I had to suffer through 2 hours of because my family sadly paid money to rent it.
  27. May 31, 2014
    Funny People feels like three movies in one. The movie is painfully long with mediocre acting by the entire cast. I couldn't take any of the drama seriously when you have Adam Sandler acting the same way when he's trying to being funny. The movie simply didn't work.
  28. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie may be called 'Funny People' but it is anything but funny. I have always been a big fan of Adam Sandler and with the cast that this film has I was expecting a lot more from it. I'd go so far as to say I would never watch it again. Life is precious, don't waste it watching this.

1. Gets old fast.
    It's the work of a major talent. Apatow scores by crafting the film equivalent of a stand-up routine that encompasses the joy, pain, anger, loneliness and aching doubt that go into making an audience laugh.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Apatow answers to no one. His worst enemy as a director is his unwillingness to linger in the dark places from which his comedy springs.