Funny People

6.4

1. DotFail
    Dec 19, 2009
    This would've been much better if Apatow had left his wife, kids and 30 minutes out of it.
  2. MegL
    Aug 30, 2009
    The premise was good, but seemed a little self-indulgent on Apatow's part. Way way way too long.
  3. AbhinavR
    Oct 2, 2009
    At 2:20, Funny People is much too long (by about 40 minutes) but is made up for by quite good comedy and a decent storyline. However, many scenes were irrelevant and could have been cut out quite easily. I much more enjoyed Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Pineapple Express better than this. Possibly Apatow's worst film to date.
  4. ColinG
    Aug 14, 2009
    The funny parts were funny, but the story was long and mediocre.
  5. AlbertJ.
    Aug 20, 2009
    The bad: I left an hour and a half into the movie. The good: It was good enough that I lasted that hour and a half! I don't know, maybe it will be like Punch Drunk Love in that I'll enjoy it better my 3rd or 4th time watching it. But as it was, it's definitely not in my top 5 of Adam Sandler movies.
  6. C.B.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Apatow's first stinker. The third act made me want to strangle a stranger.
  7. emilym
    Aug 3, 2009
    The first half of the movie is a funny and moving look at a comedian who questions some of his life choices as he faces a life-threatening illness. However, the second half of the movie veers off into a long, drawn out love triangle story, essentially killing what might have otherwise been a pretty good movie.
  8. Branden
    Aug 3, 2009
    I was bored to death with this movie. The only good things about the movie were Jonah Hill and Aziz Ansari.
  9. Doc
    Aug 4, 2009
    Here's the deal. It's not a bad movie, but although there are small bits of mild humor throughout, this movie is not a comedy, but the powers that be want you to think it is. If you're looking for a comedy the likes of "Hangover" and some of the other "R" rated stuff out recently, this is not your movie. Apparently they don't think they can sale Adam Sandler as a Here's the deal. It's not a bad movie, but although there are small bits of mild humor throughout, this movie is not a comedy, but the powers that be want you to think it is. If you're looking for a comedy the likes of "Hangover" and some of the other "R" rated stuff out recently, this is not your movie. Apparently they don't think they can sale Adam Sandler as a serious actor, and they very well may be right. Not bad - just not that good. Expand
  10. AnthonyO.
    Aug 12, 2009
    I personally do not understand why some people loved the film. First of all, every joke was about a dick or balls and it got a little sickening after hearing about cocks for two hours. I'm not conservative really at all, but that kind of humor just gets old, esp. when it's in every single Apatow film. That humor can be funny but the amount of it has to be in good taste. One of I personally do not understand why some people loved the film. First of all, every joke was about a dick or balls and it got a little sickening after hearing about cocks for two hours. I'm not conservative really at all, but that kind of humor just gets old, esp. when it's in every single Apatow film. That humor can be funny but the amount of it has to be in good taste. One of the few elements that it aimed for and delivered, was emotion, but in the end I don't think it satisfied the audience because he didn't get the girl and that's what people wanted. Yes he grew from the experience, but again, you have to give the audience what they want. Expand
  11. bird
    Aug 13, 2009
    This movie had some gut-bustingly funny lines, but it is at least 30 minutes too long and veers wildly between being funny and being wince-inducing. Hard to recommend.
  12. KaiK
    Aug 15, 2009
    absolutely awful. The first thing that I need to mention right off the bat is that its too long. The beginning of the film is "Funny" but the rest of the film is not funny. if they titled the film slightly amusing people I may have given it a 6 but the jokes get repetitive and the plot goes no ware after George Simon's recovery. The humor is not clever for the most part. If you saw absolutely awful. The first thing that I need to mention right off the bat is that its too long. The beginning of the film is "Funny" but the rest of the film is not funny. if they titled the film slightly amusing people I may have given it a 6 but the jokes get repetitive and the plot goes no ware after George Simon's recovery. The humor is not clever for the most part. If you saw the trailers for funny people, you have pretty much seen all the funny parts. don't waste your time with this awful film. Expand
  13. IvanK
    Aug 2, 2009
    Started off really strong but the humor ran out halfway through and the seriousness just couldn't stand up on its own, suffering from issues with both the script and the acting. There are some incredibly funny moments though that still make this movie worth seeing.
  14. ChristianG
    Nov 28, 2009
    This movie has a ridiculously depressing and bland story-line, I couldn't get past the first hour without almost dying of boredom. Judd could've done much better, just cut out Adam Sandler and he has an excellent movie.
  15. May 1, 2011
    I only watched the movie for the first hour and from what I've seen, I guess it's worth a watch.
  16. Jan 31, 2011
    Funny people has the warmth, the usual raunchy laughs, a semi decent plot, and a winning cast. But all of this gets rather stale after the first hour, and this drama comedy, i hate to say this- pretty much rotts.
  17. Apr 13, 2013
    A seemingly endless story that never reaches a satisfying ending. Between the dark comedy and serious undertone there was a decent movie that was making a statement, but the length and unnecessary supporting characters just makes you forget that.
  18. Nov 7, 2012
    Apatow's Funny People had so much potential, and it really did have moments of greatness. It's just the lag in between those moments that brings it down.
  19. Jun 12, 2014
    I was searching for a comedy movie that I thought would make me laugh. Funny People contains a great story, but the standup comedy scenes and the supposedly funny moments aren't really that funny.
    I loved the story and it was entertaining, but I had to give it a 6 out of 10 because the film didn't really make me laugh all that much. Adam Sandler really had me laughing in the film Grown ups and Seth Rogan did a pretty good job in the new film Neighbors. So I think it's safe to say that this film wasn't terrible at all, but it wasn't by far their best work. The reason being is that real comedy films make you laugh. I'm sure other movie goers laughed and that's great. The only movie goers and film buffs that would like this kind of movie are stand up comedy fans. Other people don't understand what is supposed to be funny. I thought the same thing, the jokes were a 0 out of 10. I haven't been a big stand up comedy fan. I thought this movie was going to be about something else. I was in for a big surprise. If you want a great story and don't mind not laughing then this is a great film. If you're looking for some jokes that will make you laugh like I was, then you might as well skip this one. All in all, Funny People isn't bad, but it lakes comedic jokes.

1. Gets old fast.
    It's the work of a major talent. Apatow scores by crafting the film equivalent of a stand-up routine that encompasses the joy, pain, anger, loneliness and aching doubt that go into making an audience laugh.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Apatow answers to no one. His worst enemy as a director is his unwillingness to linger in the dark places from which his comedy springs.