6.4

1. Jul 31, 2014
    Funny People: 8 out of 10: What is amazing about Funny people is considering its set-up and storyline it manages to deftly dodge a veritable minefield of bathos laid out before it. The story is about comedian, who is super rich after a string of really bad comedies (Adam Sandler playing himself), finds he has version of leukemia and well is going to die soon. Therefore, he reflects back onFunny People: 8 out of 10: What is amazing about Funny people is considering its set-up and storyline it manages to deftly dodge a veritable minefield of bathos laid out before it. The story is about comedian, who is super rich after a string of really bad comedies (Adam Sandler playing himself), finds he has version of leukemia and well is going to die soon. Therefore, he reflects back on his life makes amends and chases the girl that got away with the help of new assistant, a thin Seth Rogen.

Yes, it is what we hipsters would call Narm city. Yet this Judd Aptow directed flick is so self aware of the pitfalls that it not just avoids them for the most part but in a true stand up comic style calls them out. This is at its heart a very smart and aware film. What could have been Terms of Endearment with dick jokes turns into an occasionally funny and somewhat touching film. It is also a very real film about real people and I am going to repeat myself here but it is truly smart.

The only real downside I see is that I really do not see myself watching this film again anytime soon. It is a great ride but it never reaches that next level. The movie consists of some very funny bits, but do not come aboard expecting belly laughs. In addition, while I found myself enjoying the laid back pace at 153 minutes there is no question this feels more like a directors cut than a tightly paced theatrical release.
  2. Jul 11, 2014
    This in my opinion Adam Sandler best movie before Punch Drunk Love. This movie is underrated because I'll say," Does anyone know what the movie Funny People is". Then everyone who look at me weird but no spoilers in this review but this movie is a 2 and a half hours of a good movie maybe my 7th Favorite movie of all time but the everyone is giving all of their best her even Adam Sandler isThis in my opinion Adam Sandler best movie before Punch Drunk Love. This movie is underrated because I'll say," Does anyone know what the movie Funny People is". Then everyone who look at me weird but no spoilers in this review but this movie is a 2 and a half hours of a good movie maybe my 7th Favorite movie of all time but the everyone is giving all of their best her even Adam Sandler is giving all his best here. Seth Rogen is funny in this such as Jonah Hill, Leslie Mann, Eric Bana and many more. But this is Judd Apatow best film he I think giving all his best too. If I had to give a rating to this film its a easy A- . Expand
  3. Jun 12, 2014
    I was searching for a comedy movie that I thought would make me laugh. Funny People contains a great story, but the standup comedy scenes and the supposedly funny moments aren't really that funny.
    I loved the story and it was entertaining, but I had to give it a 6 out of 10 because the film didn't really make me laugh all that much. Adam Sandler really had me laughing in the film Grown ups and Seth Rogan did a pretty good job in the new film Neighbors. So I think it's safe to say that this film wasn't terrible at all, but it wasn't by far their best work. The reason being is that real comedy films make you laugh. I'm sure other movie goers laughed and that's great. The only movie goers and film buffs that would like this kind of movie are stand up comedy fans. Other people don't understand what is supposed to be funny. I thought the same thing, the jokes were a 0 out of 10. I haven't been a big stand up comedy fan. I thought this movie was going to be about something else. I was in for a big surprise. If you want a great story and don't mind not laughing then this is a great film. If you're looking for some jokes that will make you laugh like I was, then you might as well skip this one. All in all, Funny People isn't bad, but it lakes comedic jokes.
  4. Jun 11, 2014
    Many people will complaint about the length, but this is Apatow's best film. Apatow has a nice way to mix comedy and drama. Seth Rogen puts on a very nice performance, Adam Sandler puts on a way better performance that he puts on in his other comedic flops, Sandler is very different and wise in this role we've seen that side of him in movies such as Punch Drunk-Love and the veryMany people will complaint about the length, but this is Apatow's best film. Apatow has a nice way to mix comedy and drama. Seth Rogen puts on a very nice performance, Adam Sandler puts on a way better performance that he puts on in his other comedic flops, Sandler is very different and wise in this role we've seen that side of him in movies such as Punch Drunk-Love and the very underrated Reign Over Me. Expand
  5. May 31, 2014
    Funny People feels like three movies in one. The movie is painfully long with mediocre acting by the entire cast. I couldn't take any of the drama seriously when you have Adam Sandler acting the same way when he's trying to being funny. The movie simply didn't work.
  6. Mar 2, 2014
    In a time where a lot of comedies involve lowbrow, unintelligent humor, Funny People is a surprisingly smart and heartfelt comedy that features funny performances by Seth Rogen and Adam Sandler.
  7. Jul 11, 2013
    Not correctly advertised. It's a really depressing movie, honestly. Very different from typical apatow fare. But I still enjoyed it, despite feeling like I in fact had cancer at the end of it.
  8. Apr 13, 2013
    A seemingly endless story that never reaches a satisfying ending. Between the dark comedy and serious undertone there was a decent movie that was making a statement, but the length and unnecessary supporting characters just makes you forget that.
  9. Nov 7, 2012
    Apatow's Funny People had so much potential, and it really did have moments of greatness. It's just the lag in between those moments that brings it down.
  10. Aug 25, 2012
    I thought this film would be a comedy but in actually fact I think this film should be classed as a drama. Sure it is funny in places but it is a lot more serious than most other Judd Apatow productions. Despite this, I actually enjoyed the film. Eric Bana is a fantastic actor and Seth Rogan along with Adam Sandler for once bring a sense of realism to their roles. I think Rogan would suitI thought this film would be a comedy but in actually fact I think this film should be classed as a drama. Sure it is funny in places but it is a lot more serious than most other Judd Apatow productions. Despite this, I actually enjoyed the film. Eric Bana is a fantastic actor and Seth Rogan along with Adam Sandler for once bring a sense of realism to their roles. I think Rogan would suit more roles like this in the future as well his more obvious drug-addled roles. Expand
  11. Aug 19, 2012
    This movie may be called 'Funny People' but it is anything but funny. I have always been a big fan of Adam Sandler and with the cast that this film has I was expecting a lot more from it. I'd go so far as to say I would never watch it again. Life is precious, don't waste it watching this.
  12. Aug 18, 2012
    Funny People is an interesting and entertaining comedy / drama hybrid with excellent performances by Adam Sandler, Seth Rogan and Eric Banna. The standup in the film is amusing but the movie's real quality lies in it's heart... And it has Jason schwartzman in it. Nuff said!
  13. Dec 31, 2011
    This was the worst "comedy" I have ever seen. First of all, Apatow should stay the heck out of drama from now on. Second, Sandler sucks as a dramatic comedy actor (history has shown us this plenty of times before). I expected it to be good but the entire film was simply trash that I had to suffer through 2 hours of because my family sadly paid money to rent it.
  14. Nov 26, 2011
    It was pretty terrible. The movie hasnt all the funny and while the acting was good, It never was interesting. Also the insanely long run time drags the film on long then what it should have ended it. I didnt like it all.
  15. Sep 4, 2011
    A more dramatic turn from Judd Apatow sees Adam Sandler playing what is essentially an exaggerated version of himself. The performances are great, and it's one of the few films which I can happily sit through despite its huge run time.
  16. Aug 3, 2011
    Although I absolutely love Judd Apatow's films, this one ranks third in his directorial efforts (right behind Knocked Up and 40 Year Old Virgin). What is great about the film though is the balance of humor and drama. Adam Sandler does a great job. One of the better things he's ever done.
  17. May 1, 2011
    I only watched the movie for the first hour and from what I've seen, I guess it's worth a watch.
  18. Mar 7, 2011
    Wow this movie was terrible, don't let the name fool you it's not funny, it's not even entertaining, a huge let down for fans of Adam Sandler, an absolutely terrible movie.
  19. Jan 31, 2011
    Funny people has the warmth, the usual raunchy laughs, a semi decent plot, and a winning cast. But all of this gets rather stale after the first hour, and this drama comedy, i hate to say this- pretty much rotts.
  20. Oct 13, 2010
    This movie felt real to me. It captured a glimpse of humanity's lonely, awkward and sometimes superficial complexity. Some of the poor reviews I think are the result of expectations of this being a comedy. I think it would be more accurately described as a drama with humorous lines.
  21. Aug 19, 2010
    Funny People is a intelligent, funny adult film. Now a days the genre of comedy is now sex. We get a number of new movies every year trying to milk the success of Judd Apatow films. Some of them are good and I can name a few. However they need to rely on crude and vulgar actions to get laughs. We get so many of those antics to the point of feeling disgust for the characters, but when theFunny People is a intelligent, funny adult film. Now a days the genre of comedy is now sex. We get a number of new movies every year trying to milk the success of Judd Apatow films. Some of them are good and I can name a few. However they need to rely on crude and vulgar actions to get laughs. We get so many of those antics to the point of feeling disgust for the characters, but when the third act comes up we have to cheer for them it's dumb. Apatow's movies are different there fresh in orignatly and the crude and vulgar comedy is kept to a restrictive level. Thus giving us time to know the characters in between the big laughs. The movie starts with George Simmons played by Adam Sandler, he's a successful comedian and actor. He has stared in many films and is a prodigy to all standups. He lives alone and does mostly everything alone. One day he's sitting in a doctors office getting the news that he's been diagnosied with a rare form of cancer. His doctor firmily says it, he needs to try out expermental medicine. We then meet Ira played by Seth Rogen who's a up and coming comic trying to get out of the deli that he works at. One day George performs at a standclub that he has'nt been in three years. He notices Ira's performance and takes him under his wing as a assistant. They form a friendship and where George goes Ira goes. He trys to make ammends with his famliy and with the girl that got away, played by Leslie Mann who is married to someone else. So when George is thinking the worst his doctor tells him your getting better and tells him get a hold of your life again. You must think in a clinched kind of way he changes his personality and treat people better and go for the girl right? wrong, he exploits his condtion and tries to go for the girl. These are characters in a realistic plot. With problems and smart dialouge. Yes theirs crude and vulgar actions but it's done in a way that everyday people talk, with your friends, with your spouse. Judd Apatow did a very mature film proving you can mix vulgar and adaptable characters. This movie is based on everyday people with the only difference is that there Funny People. Expand
  22. Aug 19, 2010
    Comedian gets terminal illness, hires joke writer, gives him chance at stand-up, ex girlfriend shows up, her Australian husband shows up, mayhem.
    Usual Judd Apatow affair but with a slightly darker tone than usual. The cast are very good with Adam Sandler playing a sort of self parody & I did enjoy Eric Bana's OTT Aussie.
    Maybe a bit too long but plenty of laughs along the way.
  23. BarryS.
    Mar 28, 2010
    As a drama: raises important questions and themes in unusual and thought-provoking ways. As a comedy: many of the jokes are really funny, and many of those that aren't were intended to bomb. Don't see this movie if you just want pure light-hearted comedy. Otherwise, I must agree that it rambles and goes too long, but is otherwise a profound success.
  24. JimW.
    Jan 22, 2010
    Very underrated movie. Really good story line, great natural acting. Leslie Mann absolutely kills a couple of those scenes. Almost felt cinema verite'.
  25. WillT.
    Dec 30, 2009
    The score above (60) does no justice to the movie. Appears most people who have commented expected a comedy piece and weren't prepared for the drama and incite. I too rented this thinking it would be a funny movie with pretty basic 'skin level ;comedy. I was surprised, enthralled, and captivated by the story and dark humour. Even the cameos by Eminem, Sarah Silverman etc are The score above (60) does no justice to the movie. Appears most people who have commented expected a comedy piece and weren't prepared for the drama and incite. I too rented this thinking it would be a funny movie with pretty basic 'skin level ;comedy. I was surprised, enthralled, and captivated by the story and dark humour. Even the cameos by Eminem, Sarah Silverman etc are poignant. This movie is totally underrated. Expand
  26. LanceK.
    Dec 30, 2009
    Has to be one of my favorite films of the 2009-other than a little lull in the second half-i can't comprehend the bad reviews some critic have given this movie.
  27. PeterJ.
    Dec 29, 2009
    I was surprised at how good this movie was considering some of Adam Sandler's works. Seth Rogen does a very nice job taking the pressure off of him though, and I actually found this movie more creative and funny than the Hangover.
  28. AlexB
    Dec 29, 2009
    The most boring movie of the year. My wife gives it 0.
  29. MiKE
    Dec 23, 2009
    Why do these movies have to be so vulgar? It sucked at the begingiing. But it got better at the end. still a bad movie. Not Funny.
  30. DotFail
    Dec 19, 2009
    This would've been much better if Apatow had left his wife, kids and 30 minutes out of it.
  31. Luis
    Dec 9, 2009
    It was more than what I expected. Great movie.
  32. JimC
    Dec 8, 2009
    Wow, did the critics (and some of the public) miss the mark with this one. I can only chalk it up to the movie being not at all what they expected. This is an excellent piece of work from Apatow--almost a genre unto himself--and certainly Adam Sandler's best performance. It is a dark piece of work that provides far greater insight into the world of comedians, and show business, in Wow, did the critics (and some of the public) miss the mark with this one. I can only chalk it up to the movie being not at all what they expected. This is an excellent piece of work from Apatow--almost a genre unto himself--and certainly Adam Sandler's best performance. It is a dark piece of work that provides far greater insight into the world of comedians, and show business, in general than most other "insider" movies I can think of. The best of its comedy is in the little moments of satire. For example, Sandler's less-than-stellar film career is sent up--he basicaly plays a more bitter, entitled, miserable version of himself. Little lines like "Paul Rudd wants to do a bromance with you," or the hackneyed scenes from Schwartzman's sitcom are priceless. These guys get it. The characters are not meant to be very sympathetic. They're comedians as comedians really are--the most insecure, miserable, back-stabbing (yet self-aware) creatures in show biz. But, in typical Apatow fashion, they're well-rounded human beings. I'm actually astonished how poorly this movie has been received. It's not as uproarious as 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, etc.--but it's every bit as good as those films. Expand
  33. ThomasL
    Dec 7, 2009
    Unfunny and verging on the revolting. I give it a star each for the two young ladies who delivered nice performances. You know what? Men, when they get together, unless they're gay, tend to talk about women's parts, not their own. If standup comedians are different, they should resist making movies about them. Utter tripe.
  34. ChristianG
    Nov 28, 2009
    This movie has a ridiculously depressing and bland story-line, I couldn't get past the first hour without almost dying of boredom. Judd could've done much better, just cut out Adam Sandler and he has an excellent movie.
  35. BrandonO
    Nov 27, 2009
    The main reason this film is receiving ill reviews is that it was marketed as a comedy. This film is 60% drama and 40% dark comedy, which is the most dramatic of comedy. This film will make you laugh on occasion, but Apatow's intention with Funny People was evoke real feelings. True, his comedies have all had measurable emotional value, but their main purpose was to give laughs. The main reason this film is receiving ill reviews is that it was marketed as a comedy. This film is 60% drama and 40% dark comedy, which is the most dramatic of comedy. This film will make you laugh on occasion, but Apatow's intention with Funny People was evoke real feelings. True, his comedies have all had measurable emotional value, but their main purpose was to give laughs. Funny People is a very serious movie, and when watched as such is a wonderful experience. This is definitely Apatow's best production to date. Expand
  36. NedW
    Nov 13, 2009
    A better-than-expected Adam Sandler film in which Sandler shows - as he has in a few other films of his - that he has a thoughtful mind. It has a lot of humor in it, of course, but its serious side feels organic to the whole. I would recommend it to people but hesitate to overpraise it. It's good, not great.
  37. WinstonL
    Nov 12, 2009
    Sandler AND Rogen are on my Oscar-watch.
  38. Kenny
    Nov 4, 2009
    Apatow is Apatow, Sandler as Sandler and Rogen as Rogen ... That is the problem of this film. Boring, obvious, heavy, is not funny at any time and it takes too long for a comedy without much substance. Pretentious as her own. At the most is missing an Eric Bana is that although his character is not much more than if given a thousand times this bunch of comedians " super intellectuals".
  39. KristianP
    Oct 19, 2009
    One of the more underrated films of the year.
  40. VivecaB
    Oct 19, 2009
    The worst film I have ever seen. I was in the cinema with about 50 other people...who were actually trying to find funny bits to laugh at. We were all sat in silence. People started leaving after an hour. A complete waste of money. It just went On an On and On and On and On and On.
  41. MattF
    Oct 18, 2009
    Brilliant, funny, a true masterpeice. A great comedic film with just enough depression to make it a drama flick and still be funny. I laughed and cried at the same time, if judd apatow movies are your nitch its a must see. Dont give it a bad review if you just dont like judd apatow, its his style its definately a really good flick for its style. 10 out of 10 (p.s. people think about what Brilliant, funny, a true masterpeice. A great comedic film with just enough depression to make it a drama flick and still be funny. I laughed and cried at the same time, if judd apatow movies are your nitch its a must see. Dont give it a bad review if you just dont like judd apatow, its his style its definately a really good flick for its style. 10 out of 10 (p.s. people think about what you put before you review something). Expand
  42. AtticusM
    Oct 14, 2009
    One of the most unnecessarily depressing and brutally unfunny movies in a very long time.
  43. AbhinavR
    Oct 2, 2009
    At 2:20, Funny People is much too long (by about 40 minutes) but is made up for by quite good comedy and a decent storyline. However, many scenes were irrelevant and could have been cut out quite easily. I much more enjoyed Knocked Up, The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Pineapple Express better than this. Possibly Apatow's worst film to date.
  44. JaredG
    Sep 10, 2009
    Loved it. This has to be Adam Sandlers best film. It was real, touching, emotional and hilarious. I cannot imagine why people hated it? There was so much detail! The whole Yo! Teach and Jason Schwartzmann thing was too funny, Seth Rogen is cute and funny as always and Sandler actually put in an amazing performance. The Crude humour and Adam Sandler acting like a tool was part of the Loved it. This has to be Adam Sandlers best film. It was real, touching, emotional and hilarious. I cannot imagine why people hated it? There was so much detail! The whole Yo! Teach and Jason Schwartzmann thing was too funny, Seth Rogen is cute and funny as always and Sandler actually put in an amazing performance. The Crude humour and Adam Sandler acting like a tool was part of the social commentary of the comedy industry. Expand
  45. RobJ
    Sep 6, 2009
    First off, there has been lots of complaining about how this movie is too long, but this is Apatow we're talking about. 40 year old virgin and Knocked Up are only 15 minutes shorter than this, and both of these films are comedic masterpieces. Yes a couple of scenes could've been cut. But if you truly are a fan of Apatow/Sandler/Rogen then you'd be ok sittin through 15-20 First off, there has been lots of complaining about how this movie is too long, but this is Apatow we're talking about. 40 year old virgin and Knocked Up are only 15 minutes shorter than this, and both of these films are comedic masterpieces. Yes a couple of scenes could've been cut. But if you truly are a fan of Apatow/Sandler/Rogen then you'd be ok sittin through 15-20 minutes of filler. Rogen and Sandler are the biggest comedic masters in the business today. Funny People is funny, but should be approached with the mindset that it isn't a complete comedy. I guess the term would be a dramedy, because there are just as many dramatic aspects to the film as there are comedic. The acting is terrific, Sandler really shines in this role. Rogen is hilarious, even the robotic Eric Bana isn't so bad. Apatow's writing/directing is superb, and the cinematography is excellent. Funny People is by no stretch of the imagination a perfect film, but in the realm in where hilarious comedy and heart wrenching drama walk hand in hand, Sandler and Rogen are a match made in heaven. Expand
  46. MegL
    Aug 30, 2009
    The premise was good, but seemed a little self-indulgent on Apatow's part. Way way way too long.
  47. C.B.
    Aug 26, 2009
    Apatow's first stinker. The third act made me want to strangle a stranger.
  48. AlbertJ.
    Aug 20, 2009
    The bad: I left an hour and a half into the movie. The good: It was good enough that I lasted that hour and a half! I don't know, maybe it will be like Punch Drunk Love in that I'll enjoy it better my 3rd or 4th time watching it. But as it was, it's definitely not in my top 5 of Adam Sandler movies.
  49. KaiK
    Aug 15, 2009
    absolutely awful. The first thing that I need to mention right off the bat is that its too long. The beginning of the film is "Funny" but the rest of the film is not funny. if they titled the film slightly amusing people I may have given it a 6 but the jokes get repetitive and the plot goes no ware after George Simon's recovery. The humor is not clever for the most part. If you saw absolutely awful. The first thing that I need to mention right off the bat is that its too long. The beginning of the film is "Funny" but the rest of the film is not funny. if they titled the film slightly amusing people I may have given it a 6 but the jokes get repetitive and the plot goes no ware after George Simon's recovery. The humor is not clever for the most part. If you saw the trailers for funny people, you have pretty much seen all the funny parts. don't waste your time with this awful film. Expand
  50. Kyle
    Aug 14, 2009
    This film has one of the best stories in a comedy. It is amazing and still lol hilarious at the same time. This movie works both as a comedy with a great story and a movie with a great story that just happens to be extremely funny. If you like Sandler, Rogen, or Apatow you must see this movie.
  51. ColinG
    Aug 14, 2009
    The funny parts were funny, but the story was long and mediocre.
  52. bird
    Aug 13, 2009
    This movie had some gut-bustingly funny lines, but it is at least 30 minutes too long and veers wildly between being funny and being wince-inducing. Hard to recommend.
  53. AnthonyO.
    Aug 12, 2009
    I personally do not understand why some people loved the film. First of all, every joke was about a dick or balls and it got a little sickening after hearing about cocks for two hours. I'm not conservative really at all, but that kind of humor just gets old, esp. when it's in every single Apatow film. That humor can be funny but the amount of it has to be in good taste. One of I personally do not understand why some people loved the film. First of all, every joke was about a dick or balls and it got a little sickening after hearing about cocks for two hours. I'm not conservative really at all, but that kind of humor just gets old, esp. when it's in every single Apatow film. That humor can be funny but the amount of it has to be in good taste. One of the few elements that it aimed for and delivered, was emotion, but in the end I don't think it satisfied the audience because he didn't get the girl and that's what people wanted. Yes he grew from the experience, but again, you have to give the audience what they want. Expand
  54. EvinC
    Aug 12, 2009
    I love Judd Apatow but this fillm is a step down from is others. It let me down but it was a good flick. I hope the next film is better. Seth Rogen is my favorite person in the entire world.
  55. GlennP
    Aug 10, 2009
    This is the best film of the year. This is definitely not a typical Judd Apatow formula comedy, instead it's more of a "Dramady". The result of this effort is just wonderful and refreshing in a Hollywood where absolute garbage films like "GI Joe" and "Transformeras" are more the norm. Adam Sandler delivers an Oscar-worthy performance as the emotionally tortured comic George Simmons, This is the best film of the year. This is definitely not a typical Judd Apatow formula comedy, instead it's more of a "Dramady". The result of this effort is just wonderful and refreshing in a Hollywood where absolute garbage films like "GI Joe" and "Transformeras" are more the norm. Adam Sandler delivers an Oscar-worthy performance as the emotionally tortured comic George Simmons, providing a depth of character and insight into the character that makes one believe the movie really is in large part about Sandler and not Simmons. Seth Rogen holds his own in a supporting role as Ira Wright, an up and coming comic that dreams of having the life George Simmons leads until he sees it up close. This film is as I said, the best film of the year by a country mile. It takes chances American films rarely take, and even at its length of over 140 minutes it holds the audience's attention and makes us care about the characters. A truly amazing achievement for Apatow and company. Expand
  56. SolomonG.
    Aug 8, 2009
    Relentlessly repetitive. Frustrating for what it promises but never delivers. Watch Peter Falk...Cassavetes, if you want an American experience of a existential European film. Biggest sin: it is rarely funny.
  57. SteveG
    Aug 7, 2009
    "Funny People" is too long; it could have easily lost 45 minutes. But there are a number of very funny moments. Seeing Adam Sandler in almost a self-parody type of roll was brilliant, as was using Sandleresque script ideas actually penned by Apatow and rejected by Sandler as the filmography of the main character. The ill-fated love story of the film's second half really does bog down "Funny People" is too long; it could have easily lost 45 minutes. But there are a number of very funny moments. Seeing Adam Sandler in almost a self-parody type of roll was brilliant, as was using Sandleresque script ideas actually penned by Apatow and rejected by Sandler as the filmography of the main character. The ill-fated love story of the film's second half really does bog down the experience of the movie. Apatow is so "powerful" now that he can make the movie he wants, despite the fact that someone should have pointed out the naked emperor on the screen. Expand
  58. MattM
    Aug 6, 2009
    Apatow knows how to write funny dialogue. It's too bad he doesn't know how to write serious dialogue, or a cohesive story for that matter. Funny People felt like a somewhat good movie tacked onto a sad attempt at a love story. All of Apatow's funny stuff seemed likes it belongs on a stage being delivered by a stand up rather than mashed up into a terrible movie. Big Apatow knows how to write funny dialogue. It's too bad he doesn't know how to write serious dialogue, or a cohesive story for that matter. Funny People felt like a somewhat good movie tacked onto a sad attempt at a love story. All of Apatow's funny stuff seemed likes it belongs on a stage being delivered by a stand up rather than mashed up into a terrible movie. Big disappointment, by far the worst Apatow movie. Expand
  59. RaymondS
    Aug 5, 2009
    Judd Apatow is moving towards a more touching comedy and away from the his slapstick comedies. Funny people was a lot of fun, up to the middle where it became embarrassing. The awkwardness lasted about 30 minutes, but the rest of the movie was worth it.
  60. AaronB
    Aug 4, 2009
    Overall very good movie, i totally agree with Emily M... the first half of the movie totally rocks, it's funny and moving really pulls you in. But the whole love triangle in the second half just drags, is painful to watch, they could have cut all of it out the movie might have gone down as a classic. Good performances from all the cast, definitly Sandler's best performance since Overall very good movie, i totally agree with Emily M... the first half of the movie totally rocks, it's funny and moving really pulls you in. But the whole love triangle in the second half just drags, is painful to watch, they could have cut all of it out the movie might have gone down as a classic. Good performances from all the cast, definitly Sandler's best performance since maybe Punch Drunk Love and 50 first dates. Expand
  61. MichaelB
    Aug 4, 2009
    I love movies that get lots of 10s and 0s. A great work of art should get a strong emotional reaction from people, and I really enjoy great works of art. That's what this movie is, in my opinion. Apatow is like a better version of Kevin Smith, with a hotter wife. I am so glad he has stepped into the hole left by the Coen Brothers and Wes Anderson in making funny, intelligent movies. I love movies that get lots of 10s and 0s. A great work of art should get a strong emotional reaction from people, and I really enjoy great works of art. That's what this movie is, in my opinion. Apatow is like a better version of Kevin Smith, with a hotter wife. I am so glad he has stepped into the hole left by the Coen Brothers and Wes Anderson in making funny, intelligent movies. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. Expand
  62. danielw.
    Aug 4, 2009
    A great movie. It is however bound to defy expectations. This is not a funny movie, though it has some very funny bits in it. It is a movie about people who make other people laugh, and about what drives them to do so -- a whole motley of motivations that includes fear, insecurity, anger, lust. Funny people are, it turns out, people who have seen the dark sides of human existence and have A great movie. It is however bound to defy expectations. This is not a funny movie, though it has some very funny bits in it. It is a movie about people who make other people laugh, and about what drives them to do so -- a whole motley of motivations that includes fear, insecurity, anger, lust. Funny people are, it turns out, people who have seen the dark sides of human existence and have developed a uniquely human coping mechanism -- laughter. The writing is as usual in Apatow films whip-sharp, and the actors revel in the space that they have been given by the writer/director to explore ambiguity and nuance. Sandler in particular is a revelation -- a performance that cannot be reduced to any one character trait. We hate him, pity him, love him, laugh at him, sometimes within the same scene. Will not satisfy those who think that comedy is about staged set pieces, but will resonate deeply with those who realize that comedy is a part of normal life. Sure, the movie sags a bit in the second half. But I respected Apatow's integrity in putting it up there at the cost perhaps of the movie's commercial viability. It is shaggy and sometimes misshapen, but then again so is life. It reminded me of an Arnaud Desplechin movie -- not a reference that one is accustomed to in thinking about an Adam Sandler flick, but the one that seemed most apt to me. Expand
  63. Doc
    Aug 4, 2009
    Here's the deal. It's not a bad movie, but although there are small bits of mild humor throughout, this movie is not a comedy, but the powers that be want you to think it is. If you're looking for a comedy the likes of "Hangover" and some of the other "R" rated stuff out recently, this is not your movie. Apparently they don't think they can sale Adam Sandler as a Here's the deal. It's not a bad movie, but although there are small bits of mild humor throughout, this movie is not a comedy, but the powers that be want you to think it is. If you're looking for a comedy the likes of "Hangover" and some of the other "R" rated stuff out recently, this is not your movie. Apparently they don't think they can sale Adam Sandler as a serious actor, and they very well may be right. Not bad - just not that good. Expand
  64. JO
    Aug 3, 2009
    Very funny, I loved it, don't understand some of the weaker reviews. EVERYONE was laughing so much during this movie. It was a bit long but not too long. It really is like 2 movies in one. The first have is all comedy and jokes with a sprinkle of sadness. The second half was a lot more serious with a hint of jokes. You sure get your moneys worth, i'll tell you that much. Seth Very funny, I loved it, don't understand some of the weaker reviews. EVERYONE was laughing so much during this movie. It was a bit long but not too long. It really is like 2 movies in one. The first have is all comedy and jokes with a sprinkle of sadness. The second half was a lot more serious with a hint of jokes. You sure get your moneys worth, i'll tell you that much. Seth was great as always and Sandler always impresses me in movies that have an actual plot and comedy. Go see it, you will have a good time. Better than stupid BRUNO! Expand
  65. carls
    Aug 3, 2009
    Movie was waaaay too long. Boring. They should have copied South Park and put a counter so that they could count the number of times they used the F word. It's not shocking. It's not offensive. It's just stupid. The fim maker needs to grow up. Sandler sucked in this film. Will never pay for another Sandler film until I know exactly what it is. This one was the worst film I Movie was waaaay too long. Boring. They should have copied South Park and put a counter so that they could count the number of times they used the F word. It's not shocking. It's not offensive. It's just stupid. The fim maker needs to grow up. Sandler sucked in this film. Will never pay for another Sandler film until I know exactly what it is. This one was the worst film I have seen in 10 years. That's no joke. And neither was (un)funny people. Expand
  66. AMovieCritic
    Aug 3, 2009
    Thought it was pretty good. Some very funny moments, and a pretty heartfelt performance by Adam Sandler; get this guy an Oscar nom. Movie is a way too long 2 hours and 20 minutes, though, and feels like it, and the jokes even begin to repeat themselves as the movie goes on (especially those involving a certain male organ.) Very funny movie at times, very touching movie at others, but the Thought it was pretty good. Some very funny moments, and a pretty heartfelt performance by Adam Sandler; get this guy an Oscar nom. Movie is a way too long 2 hours and 20 minutes, though, and feels like it, and the jokes even begin to repeat themselves as the movie goes on (especially those involving a certain male organ.) Very funny movie at times, very touching movie at others, but the very long runtime and seemingly endless scenes of crying and sulking and a very unresolved ending (I found it brave, most may find it frustrating,) will have most people leaving the theater feeling tired rather than entertained. Good movie, if Apatow had cut the script down by about 20 minutes it may have been great. I love the personal feel to it; Apatow has his wife and kids in this, as he did in Knocked Up, and there are numerous real-life home movies of Sandler doing comedy and making prank calls scattered throughout. These are very likable characters and when they banter it's great fun. But it's just way too long a runtime for a comedy, and I'm very surprised that this fact wasn't picked up on in the movie's apparently numerous test screenings. Expand
  67. kevini
    Aug 3, 2009
    This is a typical adam sandler movie, he thinks too much of himself, it was way to long and a combination of snorefest and chickflick, and whats this love affair with seth rogan, every other word is about someones anatomy, worse movie of summer so far!
  68. JamesP
    Aug 3, 2009
    Knocked Up still remains Apatow's best, but Funny People is Apatow in prime form and for the first time in five years, Adam Sandler finally does a good movie.
  69. emilym
    Aug 3, 2009
    The first half of the movie is a funny and moving look at a comedian who questions some of his life choices as he faces a life-threatening illness. However, the second half of the movie veers off into a long, drawn out love triangle story, essentially killing what might have otherwise been a pretty good movie.
  70. DavidW
    Aug 3, 2009
    I wanted to walk out after an hour. It was not that funny, very misleading title of a movie.
  71. Branden
    Aug 3, 2009
    I was bored to death with this movie. The only good things about the movie were Jonah Hill and Aziz Ansari.
  72. LeoS.
    Aug 3, 2009
    Far too long and NO one in the theater laughed at any of the lame jokes. Was it necessary to use F... so often?
  73. RobertS
    Aug 3, 2009
    This is an amazing movie. People's taste in humor will obviously vary. I imagine that anyone from older generations that never managed to get comfortable with anything vaguely sexual or crude will probably not find the movie to their liking. People in Apatow's core demographics - i.e. young men - will love it. It is a bit long, but I think most people are willing to spend time This is an amazing movie. People's taste in humor will obviously vary. I imagine that anyone from older generations that never managed to get comfortable with anything vaguely sexual or crude will probably not find the movie to their liking. People in Apatow's core demographics - i.e. young men - will love it. It is a bit long, but I think most people are willing to spend time with quality. Expand
  74. go
    Aug 3, 2009
    It has being a long time since I saw great movie this year maybe too long.Apatow will be critize for the simple fact that he breaks the barries that he thy self form this is his best movie.Is a drama that starts in very familiar ground but in its development for something very unique with that said I am here to proclame that funny people is one of the best film we have seen so far this It has being a long time since I saw great movie this year maybe too long.Apatow will be critize for the simple fact that he breaks the barries that he thy self form this is his best movie.Is a drama that starts in very familiar ground but in its development for something very unique with that said I am here to proclame that funny people is one of the best film we have seen so far this year.With Adam best performance of his life and Seth giving us something that many of had doubt that he has the ability to perform in dramas.Also the script maybe a bit loosing at the end but the the end it self was superior and open minded that give you a sense of future to come.Funny People comes from an unexpected source Apatow let away the childish comedies and grew to something superior and vast. Expand
  75. RayC
    Aug 3, 2009
    It made me laugh and it touched me. It was deeply moving. Plus it felt completely original to me. Believe it or not, Adam Sandler actually has talent. The dirty jokes are hilarious. Great movie, great story.
  76. AdamC.
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've never cared for Adam Sandler's feature films until now. Judd Apatow wrote this film with such a cunningly knowing voice that it just rings true. Seth Rogen's character is easily believable in this film. Sadly, Jonah Hill doesn't get much screen time, but he makes the most of the time that he does. There are some great laughs in this movie and lots of well-acted I've never cared for Adam Sandler's feature films until now. Judd Apatow wrote this film with such a cunningly knowing voice that it just rings true. Seth Rogen's character is easily believable in this film. Sadly, Jonah Hill doesn't get much screen time, but he makes the most of the time that he does. There are some great laughs in this movie and lots of well-acted scenes. Easily recommended for a great Saturday afternoon at the movies. Expand
  77. EddieW
    Aug 2, 2009
    Another lame dick joke bore fest that is 146 minutes!!! 146 minutes? Are you kidding me? Why doesn't anyone call these crapy Apatow movies out for exactly what they are, "utter garbage!" Stop telling me this crap is sophisticated and funny. I've seen funny movies and NONE OF THESE APATOW FILMS ARE FUNNY. Knocked up and Forty year Old Virgin sucked too (and were WAY too long!
  78. JerryB
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good for what it was a little to deep for a comedy. Hangover and Bruno still take comedy of the year for me.
  79. IvanK
    Aug 2, 2009
    Started off really strong but the humor ran out halfway through and the seriousness just couldn't stand up on its own, suffering from issues with both the script and the acting. There are some incredibly funny moments though that still make this movie worth seeing.
  80. ScottA.
    Aug 2, 2009
    The movie was a little long and could have been cut shorter but that would have left out what Apatow was trying to accomplish here. I found it to be very funny, comedy and drama is interwoven throughout the entire film, sometimes unfortunately making the viewer feel a little distracted from the subtext of the film. I would for sure recommend the film.
  81. AlexH.
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've always been a fan of Apatow and his movies about people getting high, doing illegal things, in other terms, his silly but yet great movies. For "Funny People," Apatow shows a side of his filmmaking, thats more or less, emotionally funny. Adam Sandler proves to an audience that he can be in serious films and Seth Rogen just keeps up his brilliant work. "Funny People" is I've always been a fan of Apatow and his movies about people getting high, doing illegal things, in other terms, his silly but yet great movies. For "Funny People," Apatow shows a side of his filmmaking, thats more or less, emotionally funny. Adam Sandler proves to an audience that he can be in serious films and Seth Rogen just keeps up his brilliant work. "Funny People" is definitely a change from "Knocked Up" or "The 40-Year Old Virgin," but it's a good change and a smart and enjoyable one too. Expand
  82. babettecooper
    Aug 2, 2009
    i gave it a 1 for the very few laughs and for Adam Sandlers performance which was, at times, good...... the rest was looong , boring, self indulgent.
    Poor Adam Sandler, he must not be able to say "NO" to Judd Apatow and got himself into this mess of a film. Sad for Sandler and sad for the audiences that were literally sighing with boredom in my theatre!
  83. MikeG
    Aug 2, 2009
    A self-serving disaster. Apatow casts his wife, his kids, his friends and hopes the whole thing will work out. So puzzling is the fact that the standup sequences lack insight and, worse, actual funny jokes. A better title would have beeN "Cocks & Cameos." Sandler's performance was fine, at times wonderfully dramatic, but his story is cheapened by a ridiculous subplot involving A self-serving disaster. Apatow casts his wife, his kids, his friends and hopes the whole thing will work out. So puzzling is the fact that the standup sequences lack insight and, worse, actual funny jokes. A better title would have beeN "Cocks & Cameos." Sandler's performance was fine, at times wonderfully dramatic, but his story is cheapened by a ridiculous subplot involving (surprise) Apatow's wife and snockering kids. It's a conceit that derails the whole picture. Shame. And certainly not funny. Expand
  84. RichardW
    Aug 2, 2009
    If Apatow knew what and when to edit, this would be a perfect movie of loneliness, sarcasm, humor and redemption.
  85. KrystalR
    Aug 2, 2009
    Another great one from Apatow.... I loved Seth Rogen's character... the movie had meaning and "touched" you on a deeper level. The jokes are grade A and the story is a mix of funny and serious. All I have to say is "Judd, keep these movies comin!"
  86. DanD
    Aug 2, 2009
    It upsets me that people aren't giving it great reviews. I loved it. Really funny and its got heart too. I don't know what people were expecting that hated it. Yeah some parts should be trimmed down, but that doesn't make it worse than Transformers. It's intelligent, witty, and yet casual and warm. It's great go see it. And this is the first time I've It upsets me that people aren't giving it great reviews. I loved it. Really funny and its got heart too. I don't know what people were expecting that hated it. Yeah some parts should be trimmed down, but that doesn't make it worse than Transformers. It's intelligent, witty, and yet casual and warm. It's great go see it. And this is the first time I've reviewed on here so I'm going to vent, should there ever really be a 0 for a movie like Dark Knight when it was on here? Or a 10 for Transformers. A 10? It's insulting to other movies. A 0 should be saved for a Nazi snuff film or Hottie and the Naughty 2. Be realistic people. Expand
  87. ChadS.
    Aug 1, 2009
    Influential film critic Pauline Kael had this to say about SNL alumnus Adam Sandler: "I have to say, I don't get Adam Sandler at all. I don't understand what makes him funny to people." As actor George Simmons, Sandler uses his alter-ego as an exemplar to reflect back on a filmography that he might not be terribly proud of. Even George's own father infers bafflement about Influential film critic Pauline Kael had this to say about SNL alumnus Adam Sandler: "I have to say, I don't get Adam Sandler at all. I don't understand what makes him funny to people." As actor George Simmons, Sandler uses his alter-ego as an exemplar to reflect back on a filmography that he might not be terribly proud of. Even George's own father infers bafflement about his son's comedic appeal when he brings up Jackie Gleason's name. After extolling the virtues of the late comedian, the father patronizes his son by adding that he's funny also. All George ever wanted to do was make his father laugh, he confides in Ira(Seth Rogen). But by the looks of it, as George and the folks lounge poolside on his palacial estate, he failed. Dispersed throughout "Funny People", we see clips of the same Hollywood junk that the real-life actor foists upon the public on a regular basis. "Redo", a film that George derisively calls the "baby picture" to reporters, is the cause of his sheepish facade when he's forced to watch it with Laura's younger daughter on DVD. After so many forgettable comedies, "Funny People" might be the kind of film that George would want to make after getting a clean bill of health from his doctor. Joining Paul Thomas Anderson's "Punchdrunk Love" and James L. Brooks' "Spanglish", this latest serious effort by Sandler acknowledges the binary at work whenever the generational comic takes on a non-comedic role. Although his last two ventures into serious film underperformed at the box office, assuming that Sandler and George Simmons are one and the same, commercial failure probably wouldn't add to the self-loathing and self-doubt that a "Merman"(George's film) or a "Little Nicky"(Sandler's film) would cause an actor with serious daddy issues. Expand
  88. NachoC
    Aug 1, 2009
    When I came in to see Funny People I expected the same kind of toilet humor that I experienced when I watched 40 year old virgin. But after analyzing his films I have come to understand that there is actually an undermining meaning to the whole 'fart jokes'. Funny People is a mature comedy and oddly enough the film actually makes you feel connected to the characters even if they When I came in to see Funny People I expected the same kind of toilet humor that I experienced when I watched 40 year old virgin. But after analyzing his films I have come to understand that there is actually an undermining meaning to the whole 'fart jokes'. Funny People is a mature comedy and oddly enough the film actually makes you feel connected to the characters even if they make the dumbest choices. I was content with the ending and I am happy to say it felt less like a Hollywood film and more like real life. I recommend it. Expand
  89. DougT
    Aug 1, 2009
    It was pretty funny in the first one hour, but then it gets way too long which the humor did not last long. Great job, Apatow. You're losing it.
  90. GregH
    Aug 1, 2009
    Absolutely and totally offensive. The continuos references to the male anatomy and the constant bombardment of the F-word shows a total lack of intelligence by the creators. i cannot believe that jokes referring to the Holocaust and Hitler can be tolerated by the Jewish community. A complete waste of money and time.
  91. DanL
    Aug 1, 2009
    Funny People is a movie that some people will call brilliant and some will think is completely stupid and off base. I don't fall to either side, but I do think it was what it's name implies- funny- and very well done. Brilliant? Probably not, but definitely worth seeing. Everyone knows the premise by now, it's a comedy about comedians starring comedians, and this intrigued Funny People is a movie that some people will call brilliant and some will think is completely stupid and off base. I don't fall to either side, but I do think it was what it's name implies- funny- and very well done. Brilliant? Probably not, but definitely worth seeing. Everyone knows the premise by now, it's a comedy about comedians starring comedians, and this intrigued me from the get go. Couple this with being an Apatow junkie, and I was pretty sure I was going to enjoy it, despite very mixed reviews by the press (it has a 60 on metacritic with plenty of 100s and plenty of 30s). Adam Sandler stars as George Simmons, an incredibly rich, well known, foul mouthed comedian who has plummetted into the lonely life of romanticoms and shitty kids movies, losing sight of what he really wanted to be until a seemingly terminal illness sets him back on path. Seth Rogan plays Ira Wright, a very mediocre budding stand up comic who is overshadowed by his more successful roommates (who are played excellently by Jonah Hill and Jason Schwartzman). The two cross paths after Wright has a rare successful set based on bashing the preceding one by a depressed Simmons at a small comedy club. Simmons takes Wright under his wing as an assistant and opening act and the two tour and become best friends, although neither fully embraces the friendship. Wright helps Simmons further embrace the rest of his short life and reconnect with his past, and Simmons helps Wright become a better comedian and person as a whole. That was just the first half of the movie, the extended trailer reveals the plot twist but I won't ruin it for anyone who doesn't know. That synopsis makes it seem like a melodramatic Sandler effort, but it really isn't. While it is a very dark comedy, Apatow still supplies us with plenty of laugh out loud material for over two and a half hours. The movie drags a bit, in my opinion, but it always lightens up and cracks a good joke before staleness can set in. The acting in the film is impeccible in my opinion. Sandler and Rogan have develop a great rapport for each other through the film, and are aided by Hill, Schwartzman (who was the weakest in the movie in my opinion, but still great), Leslie Mann, Aubrey Plaza, and a great job by Eric Bana as Mann's somewhat crazy Australian husband, and Sandler's main opponent as her love interest. Other comedians aid in the film, such as Aziz Ansari who plays the absolutely insane comedian Randy. Eminem also assists in one of the best cameos I've ever witnessed. He can really act, I'm surprised he hasn't delved into film much since Eight Mile. Apatow really lets this movie's plot flesh out to the fullest, but he doesn't hold back the funny. This movie may have the most cock/balls jokes I've ever heard, and every time you think they are getting old, they hit you harder and with more ridiculousness, and I think many of you will really appreciate it. This movie also works because the actors obviously have strong connection to their roles. Simmons is so much like Adam Sandler it's not even funny, and while I don't think Sandler has quite the same views on like as the character, he was definitely working some things out as one of the prominent comedians in his generation. The other comedians, playing up-and-coming comics, really sell their roles, as they are not that far removed from the position. Rogan and Hill just broke into the scene big a few years ago with 40 year old virgin, Knocked Up, and Superbad, and the memories of their fledgling careers are probably fresh in their minds. Overall, to me this movie isn't perfect or excellent, but it is very very good, and definitely worth seeing. Apatow's first "big boy" film is definitely unique and delivers on what is set out to, but it still has the flavor you would expect. Sandler/Rogan/Apatow is a very powerful trio and I would love to see them work together more often, because this film was definitely a collaborative effort and I think it worked out incredibly well. Some of you may not like it, but I'm sure at least one of you will swear by it. Expand
  92. TomT
    Aug 1, 2009
    What a loser movie! What is a "dramedy" anyway, laughing at a funeral or cracking jokes in intesive care while other are in emotional agony? That used to be called rude and stupid. Who thinks penis jokes or a fat comedian screwing entertaining, 11 yr olds? I came for a laugh and left within 20m despite dropping $30.
  93. jamieh
    Aug 1, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie. Very funny and somewhat touching, has to be one of Adam Sandler's best performances. The only knock against it is it was about 20mins to long.
  94. BowenM
    Can't say enough.
  95. HubertW.
    Aug 1, 2009
    Apatow's best film! you can tell he really put his heart into this one and he hit a homerun. an epic and brilliant comedy with an all-star cast that nail their roles! it has depth not seen in his prior films but not at the cost of any comedy. you will laugh your ass off and be left with something to ponder and reflect on. hangover was great, but there is no question this is the bestApatow's best film! you can tell he really put his heart into this one and he hit a homerun. an epic and brilliant comedy with an all-star cast that nail their roles! it has depth not seen in his prior films but not at the cost of any comedy. you will laugh your ass off and be left with something to ponder and reflect on. hangover was great, but there is no question this is the best comedy of the year...critics don't know sh.t about rating comedies. they never have...so many of them miss the boat entirely (case in point: Dumb and Dumber rated 39 on Metacritic) Expand
  96. IsaiahG.
    Jul 31, 2009
    This is a movie that gives you a strange touch. It makes you laugh but also touches the feelings that are not usually shown in comedies. Apatow had really perfected his vison of combining both feelings into one. This is probably one of Apatow's greatest pictures yet.
  97. NormG.
    Jul 31, 2009
    Writer director Judd Apatow sets a world record for penis jokes in Funny People. I didn't laugh at one of them but most of the audience was roaring. To such an extent that I am seriously worried about the level of intelligence of main stream America. There were actually two funny jokes in the movie. I wouldn't repeat them here . . . even though I am tempted . . . since you might Writer director Judd Apatow sets a world record for penis jokes in Funny People. I didn't laugh at one of them but most of the audience was roaring. To such an extent that I am seriously worried about the level of intelligence of main stream America. There were actually two funny jokes in the movie. I wouldn't repeat them here . . . even though I am tempted . . . since you might not make it far enough into the movie to catch them. This is long long movie as an attempt is made to meld the serious (i.e. "unsuccessful") Adam Sandler with the funny ("successful") Sandler. His character (a stand up comedian and big movie star of crummy movies) tries to be funny as he attempts to build meaningful relationships in his sad lonely life. The problem is Sandler doesn Expand
  98. MikeC.
    Jul 31, 2009
    Way too long and not believable.
  99. AdamD.
    Jul 31, 2009
    I saw the movie at an advanced screening 3 months ago, and I knew that it would get about a 60. the last 45 minutes do not really matter because the first hour thirty really works. All you have to do is keep an open mind, critics are not saying the movie is bad, just flawed, and I totaly agree, but Judd Apatow made the movie he wanted to make, and I dont think he regrets anything. Stop I saw the movie at an advanced screening 3 months ago, and I knew that it would get about a 60. the last 45 minutes do not really matter because the first hour thirty really works. All you have to do is keep an open mind, critics are not saying the movie is bad, just flawed, and I totaly agree, but Judd Apatow made the movie he wanted to make, and I dont think he regrets anything. Stop bashing this man, hes a really nice guy and he respects his fans. Expand
  100. Mike
    Jul 31, 2009
    Fantastic movie. And Brady C, I don't take your opinion seriously because the movie was not 3 hours long...it was barely even 2 and a half hours. Ugh.

1. Gets old fast.
    It's the work of a major talent. Apatow scores by crafting the film equivalent of a stand-up routine that encompasses the joy, pain, anger, loneliness and aching doubt that go into making an audience laugh.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Apatow answers to no one. His worst enemy as a director is his unwillingness to linger in the dark places from which his comedy springs.