7.3

1. Oct 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was something far from what I expected. When going into a World War 2 movie I have nothing but fond memories of seeing camaraderie and people banding together, mercy and suffering, beauty amongst all the pain in the ways the soldiers interact not only with each other as brothers in arms but with their enemies as warriors of the highest caliber. Respect and honor and so forth. I also believe it's important to involve scenes depicting the depravity of war, war in all its shades from darkest moments, to light hearted conversations, to acts of valor beyond the normal human's comprehension. Fury attained some of these goals yet they were few and far between. It captured the depravity of war than went on to blow it into epic proportions with soldiers cussing at every five second interval, looking at women in captured towns as meat for them to rip into at their own leisure, and what may have been others was now, well, theirs. Fury disgusted me in this showing of barbarism, I feel as if the director looked at World War 2 propaganda and decided that was all their was to the war. I know very well that war has these incidents yet this often? It made me think it was some child trying to convince me of the brutality of his mother's beating by over-exaggerating every detail. The battle scenes were incredible, and executed perfectly even the explicit language had some sense when used in these scenes, aside from the overdramatic effect of some weapons they were quite well done, until of course the final fight scene. Ah, the final scene, where Fury finally attained the essence of camaraderie among the soldiers and made you root for them every second, until you realized they needed no help against the Nazi's they were fighting. To call these SS Nazis, soldiers was almost a laughable idea. The SS were known for their brutality and amazing battle skills, but apparently if you pit them up against a Sherman (a tank mocked by even the American's themselves when sizing them up to any other tank) they fall like flies, throwing their bodies at it until something cracks, refusing to fire weapons thinking it'd be safer to rush the tank and wave their arms wildly to stop the gunfire. You may think an RPG even in World War 2 was able to be fired from a distance, but according to Fury you'd be wrong, and even point blank it seems as if these RPGs can miraculously miss a shot worse than a musket from ages past. It's hard to believe these "SS soldiers" could even walk without falling over themselves. I feel if any veteran actually saw this movie they'd wonder why they themselves ever feared these spoon fed children. Some people might say "Oh, but the Nazi's recruited everyone at this stage in the war, in fact it was stated in the movie." in which case I'd say yes, it was stated excellently so in fact. One of the few moments where the American's seemed almost likable was when they executed the SS officer who hung children. But I would also say that although they recruited everyone, the SS was something you were not thrown into unless you deserved it. I found myself almost rooting for the Nazis after the forced execution of a surrendered soldier. Fury made our Golden Generation of warriors seem like monsters. If the director of this film (I had no intention to try to memorize the name of the director after seeing this movie) read into even a piece of war accounts by soldiers and reporters in the field, he/she may have realized the way our soldiers actually behaved was courteous and kind in most accounts, of course there were times when our soldiers were out of line but they were almost always stopped by a commanding officer. Nonetheless the worst part by far was the fact that Fury made the SS look merciful compared to us. I know the cliché of "young soldier spares enemy because of some level of compassion and fear" but an SS soldier? Really? An SS soldier would have killed him on the spot, yet it shows our soldiers ruthlessly murder a surrendering Nazi? This movie had few good points, I'm sure if any veteran watched this movie they would be disgusted at how they were portrayed. All in all the movie isn't worth the price of admission, it was a wasted two hours of propaganda to try to slander our Golden Generation. Expand
  2. Jan 17, 2015
    Just pitiful. Apart from it's obviously over-budgeted price tag to make there is no redemption for this meandering fireworks filled flop. The producers actually resorted to using Star Wars-like laser effects to portray tracer rounds and when that stops being laughable it becomes irritating. The cast all try too hard to give epic performances for the awards season instead of trying to bringJust pitiful. Apart from it's obviously over-budgeted price tag to make there is no redemption for this meandering fireworks filled flop. The producers actually resorted to using Star Wars-like laser effects to portray tracer rounds and when that stops being laughable it becomes irritating. The cast all try too hard to give epic performances for the awards season instead of trying to bring a human element to the ravages of war. The timing of the emotional pangs of loss is well out of context with the fear of staring their characters own death in the face and gives no emulation of the horror a real world war. Maybe it is the dogged script that lets the actors down but surely they read it prior to signing on the bottom line?
    The idea of a tea party that is alien to the environment lends the viewer no comprehension of theme and is a complete disaster lost in translation of practically no point. Yes, that line makes more sense than the scene in the movie. Overall it just leaves you with a sense of trying too hard to be epic while having no backbone or real guts, quite the opposite of what the writer/director was, I'm sure, trying to achieve. World War II veterans must be holding their head in their hands while being utterly gob-smacked when watching this trashy homage to the true brave soldiers of the period. Boo! Hiss!
  3. Feb 9, 2015
    I just finished watching the movie "Fury" This is as bad as "Red Tails" Its quite obvious that the writer hasn't read up on World War II books. The first phony part was the German Anti-tank guns in the forest. If he read anything at all, they are called the deadly 88's! Why? because they don't miss. And they missed all their shots in the beginning of the movie. The only real sceneI just finished watching the movie "Fury" This is as bad as "Red Tails" Its quite obvious that the writer hasn't read up on World War II books. The first phony part was the German Anti-tank guns in the forest. If he read anything at all, they are called the deadly 88's! Why? because they don't miss. And they missed all their shots in the beginning of the movie. The only real scene was the one tiger against the 4 Shermans. Micheal Wittman destroyed an entire 7th armoured division in the hedges. That tank is real life would have stayed and picked them off at 800 metres, and in about 12 seconds. But the ending. A broken down tank and demolishing all them Germans! C'mon....they weren't that stupid. Can anybody make a real movie? I wasted 20 bucks on the DVD. Private Ryan was just as bad. Expand
  4. Apr 9, 2015
    Total ****

Not one single second of original movie here, its like they took a bunch of BS move tropes and blended them together. Then drank the trope smoothie, **** it out and that's how this movie was made. Watch anything before you see this, I know you are thinking what I thought. Hey its a WW2 movie about tanks and I like thanks. Could be cool to see tanks in action in nice HD,
    Total ****

Watch anything before you see this, I know you are thinking what I thought. Hey its a WW2 movie about tanks and I like thanks. Could be cool to see tanks in action in nice HD, I heard they used a real tiger.... don't fall for that. Well if you do, download it and skip ever scene that doesn't involve a tank.
  5. Nov 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A story is practically absent and very one-sided. No signs to be found of the other nations that were actively involved in tank combat on the western front; such as the British, Canadian, Polish and French soldiers. Technically the sets and materials are historically correct but the scenes look far from realistic. The tank shell tracers are directly copied over from Star Wars and the indestructibility of the main-characters tank is jaw dropping. (For people with less military knowledge, a M2A4E8 Sherman really will not bounce a shell from a Tiger I on such short range). The most notable shortcomings of the movie are the fact that the main characters really try their best to act like **** the lack of (depth in) the story, implied moral superiority of the American soldiers, the often unsuitable comic relief and editing mistakes near the end of the movie.

My main concern is however this: Shouldn't certain scenes be morally reprehensible? Shooting an unarmed and surrendered German soldier at point blank range to make a devious and dubious point, really was- and isn't cool. Did we also really have to see a corpse being run over multiple times in full gore? Most bizarre is the love scene halfway during the movie where Brad Pitt and his little helper barge in a German Women's home with their Tommy guns pointed in their face. After some very awkward chit chat things calm down and they basically demand some brunch under the threat of being shot. War being war the German girl drops her panties for Pitt's little helper and they go off to the bedroom to do some funny stuff. Next thing you know their Ogre-like tank buddies barge in on their little brunch and demand to rape the women. Which can be narrowly avoided by telling some gruesome story. All of which becomes more bizarre when the home of these women gets bombed a little later and no-one seems to care?! What kind of message is this supposed to send of the viewer? Lastly the final scene were half a Waffen-SS battalion gets killed like a bunch of lemmings is absolutely absurd and extremely unrealistic. The message of the movie however is clear at this point; 'Murica = good, Nazi's = bad and Hollywood = the worst.

That being said I can't help to admit that Fury is a fairly entertaining WWII movie. For people with interest in WWII era tanks it offers a nice point of view and there are certainly some cool scenes in the movie for tank enthusiasts. Especially since this is one of the rare movies that actually follows a tank crew. In the end I guess I enjoyed myself although the movie left me with a very awkward feeling which in the end made me write this review right now. Hearing people laugh in the theater at the most morally wrong scenes really left food for thought and I hope people can put things into context when watching this movie. Don't expect any depth, it's just your typical 'Murican F*-yeah pew pew movie.
  6. Jan 1, 2015
    Setting most of a war film in the inside of a tank was deliberately an attempt to have an insight on the harsh conditions many soldiers who weren't in the trenches experienced. However, Fury is still a movie, and should have cultivated relationships between characters a bit more. They all have their moments, of course, especially Jon Bernthal and Brad Pitt, but all in all they are personasSetting most of a war film in the inside of a tank was deliberately an attempt to have an insight on the harsh conditions many soldiers who weren't in the trenches experienced. However, Fury is still a movie, and should have cultivated relationships between characters a bit more. They all have their moments, of course, especially Jon Bernthal and Brad Pitt, but all in all they are personas rather than people.
    What's best, the shootings and explosions are contained and the fighting scenes are filmed a bit differently than usual. I also liked the lengthy scene in the German house - although not as intense as it could have been.

Logan Lerman's performance, I found, was shaky at first but towards the end of the film it consolidated, together with his character's fiber. Brad Pitt was very credible as "Wardaddy", but again, it's a one-way character and there was only one way to portray him.
  7. Jan 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Movie dissapointed me!!!

There are some nice deets!!

But a DRIVING & SHOOTING TIGER TANK NEVER EXISTED !!!!!!!

Who's was in charge for Historical correctness??

The Tiger Tank was a very Powerfull Machine, but one of his biggest weakness was, That he couldnt Drive & Shoot.

The Tank in the Movie is Firing/Driving and still not able to handle Fury!!

Thats so wrrrrrong!!!
  8. Oct 24, 2014
    Not on my list of best war movies. Saving Private Ryan set the modern day standard for conveying the sounds, imagery and fury of war. Fury the movie has plot themes that, unfortunately, parallel Saving Private Ryan without adding any insights. The acting of Brad Pitt (as a tank commander), as well as that of his fellow tank crew members, is credible. Where the movie falls short is inNot on my list of best war movies. Saving Private Ryan set the modern day standard for conveying the sounds, imagery and fury of war. Fury the movie has plot themes that, unfortunately, parallel Saving Private Ryan without adding any insights. The acting of Brad Pitt (as a tank commander), as well as that of his fellow tank crew members, is credible. Where the movie falls short is in its direction and the lack of a particularly new or unique story line. The film contains too many contradictions, which kill its credibility.
    Director (David Ryan) seems intent on sending the message that death in war is totally random. Paradoxically, everyone who dies in this movie is killed by a perfect shot. We are shown many sudden violent deaths, but the large number of people who get stabbed cleanly through the eye socket or have their head blown off straight across the neckline, in a relatively bloodless and painless way, seems oddly unrealistic. (About halfway through, you may find yourself wondering how many people have had their heads shot clean off.) Compounding the problem, Pitt does most of his fighting on top his tank, rather than inside it. The movie reminds us that in WWII American tanks had inferior amour plate, and we see tank after tank destroyed from a single enemy hit. Yet, when Pitt’s tank runs over a mine buried in the road, it merely disables the tank tread. Moments later we see one of Pitt’s crew running up that same road, apparently unconcerned about the presence of additional mines. The final sequence is reminiscent of the movie 300, with Pitt fighting off dozens of crack SS troupes from on top of his tank. None seem capable of hitting a fixed and exposed human target, except fora German sniper, inexplicably dressed in full camo gear (including a stringy face cover) despite the fact that it’s nighttime and pitch black outside.
    Classic WWII movies from the 1960’s like Patton, The Longest Day, and Battle of the Bulge, though highly romanticized, have more interesting story lines about the history of WWII. In the 1980’s, Platoon and Apocalypse Now showed us bizarreness and insanity of war. In the 1990’s, Saving Private Ryan, showed us the real imagery and noise of war, reminded us why sometimes we have to fight, and the depth of the sacrifices that some individuals have made in the name of freedom. The only unique sequence in Fury occurs when Pitt, after helping liberate a German town, protects two vulnerable women from possible rape and abuse from his own men, which may account for the final oddity of this movie: women seem to find this movie appealing.
  9. Mar 5, 2015
    This film was a great war movie and was a really the best WW2 film I can think of to come out in the last 4 years about. The cast is great, Brad Pitt and all the rest making a great team and an interesting one, and even though this tank team does have some typical characters you find in WW2 movies (the religious one, the trouble maker, the scared one, the battle hardened leader) they playThis film was a great war movie and was a really the best WW2 film I can think of to come out in the last 4 years about. The cast is great, Brad Pitt and all the rest making a great team and an interesting one, and even though this tank team does have some typical characters you find in WW2 movies (the religious one, the trouble maker, the scared one, the battle hardened leader) they play their roles each so well that you really enjoying watching all their screen time. Effects look great and the film was deliciously savage in gore which I didn’t exit to be so brutal but it adds to the effect of the overall film. The direction can make you feel claustrophobic at times which may help add to the immersion of the men inside the tank but you do get to fully witness the battles that go on throughout too.
    However, I did find some scenes a little clichéd and unnecessary to try develop characters but they didn’t properly detracted from the overall movie. Some of the unnecessary scenes did add to the characters but they seemed a little forced into the story and properly could’ve developed them in other ways.
    Basically, go see this film for the chemistry and acting of the main tank men and for the full visceral immersion the film brings of tank fighting in WW2. It really does portray how bleak it was and how morally questionable us “good guys” in the war were. Good film, give it a watch.
  10. Mar 10, 2015
    Quite a lame movie, bad story line, unrealistic shootouts, to drawn out, bad script. Was interesting in that it was the first such movie I'd seen with tanks from that angle.
  11. Oct 25, 2014
    Fury was good, but it occasionally gets in it's own way trying to convey all the emotions of war to the point you're scratching your head asking if all was necessary, but if you can get past that, you'll find Fury to be a nice war film about brotherhood and the value of life.
  12. Dec 26, 2014
    If you can envision a tank film written by a man who had watched The Great Santini way too many times, it would be Fury.
    Though the strength of the movie was in the technical attention spent on its battle scenes, its goal was to weave a story around characters whose lives had been forever-changed by the horrors and rigors of war. But these characters were so wooden and cookie-cutter you would have a hard time believing they might have been any different if they had never set foot on a battlefield.
    From the word go, it’s like watching a tired frat initiation when PFC Norman (Logan Lerman) is assigned to the unit and, low and behold, he comes to earn their respect by the end of the film through many trials and tribulations, not the least of which were brought on by his fellow soldiers.
    An old premise, but a good one. Yet writer/director David Ayer treats the matter as complexly as a freshly-promoted recruit eager to kick ass and take names before someone realizes he is too inexperienced to do either. Not to suggest Ayer is a freshman filmmaker, but at least out of his depth when attempting to make a movie that simultaneously venerates war and warriors while also showing all the terrible things war can be capable of.
    While these extremes are worth examining from many different perspectives, the varieties of opinion in Fury are so few you get the feeling you are sitting with an old vet and listening to him rant about how war would be different if only the powers that be had fought in his boots, as though his boots are the only ones worth fighting in.
    If a message did come across, it would be, “You don’t always get to pick your enemies any more than you get to pick your friends,” which can be true in many aspects of life. But for something that tests a man’s mettle as harshly as invading Europe and fighting the Nazis, you would think a theme with more gravity might have risen to the top.
    I think Ayer was attempting to make a film about enduring adversity and losing your innocence that also happened to be about tank battles. I feel like I watched a tank movie with great battle scenes, and dramatic interludes well-worth fast forwarding through.
  13. Jan 9, 2015
    Ah Fury. The name is almost deserving because as a world war two history buff and the grandson of 2 veterans and grand nephew of another (1 was in Europe, 1 Pearl Harbor, the other was in the Philipines), this movie made me furious. I am going to retain from cursing while reviewing this disgrace of a film as to not cave in to the cheapness of language and arts that this films did.

It's

It's almost hard to begin on what's bad about this film as there is so much. As a warning to fellow history buffs...if you MUST watch this film...download the torrent. Do not waste a penny on this or you will be ashamed of yourself. But how about I begin with the good few things about this films as it is easier since it is so little:

The film is new in style compared to other world war two films. What I mean by this is that other world war two films depict world war two almost as a majestic nice friendly war. Where Americans and Germans had loads of respect for each other and would never needlessly harm the other. That is **** All war is barbaric. The film does capture that aspect.

Also the cinematography is good in my opinion. Usually I hate dark tones and colors in films but in this case it goes with the dark atmosphere.

Also Bradd Pitt, as usual, is a good actor. He was possibly the only good actor in the film.

Oh and they did use an actual Tiger tank in the film. The only operational one left on the earth. Which I rather enjoyed.

That is it for the short list of good. Here comes the LOOOONG list of horrid about this film.

First and foremost, besides from Brad Pitt, the acting is atrocious. The rookie is like a snivleing little kid who looks like he is about to cry all through out the movie. The spanish guy, is just flat out annoying. And that actor (who I will not remember his name because...he is a bad actor..) plays the same role in every movie he is in. Every movie. He uses a menaceing stare that has subtle undertones of psychosis in every movie. He also almost always plays "that spanish guy". The actor who played Shane from the walking dead is always in a near rage 24/7 through out the films. And the bible thumper with the mustache's performance is just...okay. But that still makes him the second best actor. Atleast he doesn't try too hard as everyone else does that gives it a tone of cheesyness

That brings us to the second fault. The characters. The characters are just flat out...awful. They have no back story, no emotions between rage and crying except for the brief 10 minute scene where they "bond" in the tank and suddenly give the rookie his "war name" and use it in the battle as if they known him for years even though according to the film they haven't even known him for a day. Also they are overly vicious. Was their crimes committed by American soldiers in battle? Of course. But in this film, you would swear that every American soldier killed unarmed POW's and ready to rape any woman they meet with no punishment or intervention by their CO's (commanding officers). It actually makes you root for the NAZIs because the Americans seem to be this army of rapists and pillagers on their home country taking women hostage, and killing their brothers in arms even when surrendering.

Which brings us to the next problem. The writing. The writing is almost as if it was written by a 17 year old hipster "OKAY WERE GONNA BE LIKE BOOM BANG POW AND LIKE SHOW THE HYPOCRACY OF AMERICAN POLITICS" which I can deal with...but the writing is just sooooo transparent. Like Brad Pitt did his best with the character he was given which was a monster with no emotion past rage. None.

But now...let's get to the biiiiig scene..you know..the scene that the commercial and trailers made look like was the whole point of the films. That is a crack team of 300 war vetereaned SS Panzer fighters VS 5 men in the worst tank of the war. These SS fighters at the begining scen with them are ALL carrying anti tank weapons, but then when the fight scene starts they somehow miracously lost all their boozokas and now only have like 5. And those 5 almost always miss. Not even to mention that these highly trained soldiers known for their vicotories in the Blitz Krieg suddenly forgot that bullets won't effect a tank, use no real plan, and a few times I swear to god..I can not make this up...you will actually see SS soldiers only armed with handguns running up to the tank. The only good thing about that scene was the annoying rapist murderer Shane's character died first. The scene otherwise complete disappointing and un real and would make it appear that the Germans were borderline retarded. Which is far from the truth.

And finally..after the other 4 die and it's only "The rookie" is left...he is under a tank where a SS soldier finds him...you know..The SS KNOWN for murdering civilians and being probably the most dishonorable soldiers in history...finds him...doesn't say a word...and just lets him stay there?! ..ya..right......

Just don't watch it..
  14. Jan 27, 2015
    Bad directing, bad writing, and bad production design. Rife with historical and tactical inaccuracies. This movie is a waste of time. A clumsy effort all around.
  15. Jan 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A highly enjoyable action war movie with great depth.

Some of the battle action is not realistic but this does not detract from the deeper massage.

“Ideals are peaceful, history is violent” states Don Collier (played by Brad Pitt) as he takes a new crew member under his wing. However it is this Norman Ellison played by Logan Lerman who is really the central character in this movie.

Conscience hits the reality of war, as a Norman young inexperienced American, suddenly takes the role as machine gunner in a US Sherman tank nicknamed Fury in the dying throws of Nazi Germany. Powerless and hardly believing where he is Norman cries, “I have never even seen the inside of a tank”. Movement, power, brutality and destruction follow the tracks of the steel tank, as all hell breaks loose.

This film is called “Heart of Steel or “Herz aus Stahl” in Germany and this name is very appropriate. Within the few days of combat in the heart of Germany, Norman goes from someone prepared to die, rather than execute captured SS soldiers, to a furious, hard hearted killing machine. As he quickly learns, it is not quite as simple as “kill or be killed”. If he does not kill quickly, his crew members could easily be those which will quickly die.

If you are looking for much more depth than just an action packed war movie, then this is for you. Every moment life changing decisions are presented. While the moral conflict rages all around him, it penetrates and grasps his heart. As the movie ends, he survives only through the mercy of an SS soldier. Deep in thought he weighs his soft heart at the beginning of the film and his hard heart at the end. The path his heart took seems almost unreal but the film makes it seem logical and plausible.

The deeper issue of idealism and realism is the heart of this story. Should an idealistic person such as Norman act on moral principles or as most others, act on interests. Ideals without power to put them in practice are shown to be empty but power alone is seen to be brutal. It is said that realism and idealism are different sides of power and must be used together with both heart and discernment. The main characters struggle with this moral conflict. This dark world shows that a man who understands both reality and morality is rare.

I couldn’t stop talking and thinking about this movie for days. Yes the action is not always realistic as many have pointed out but I think the message comes across powerfully. Ultimately you are drawn to ask,

“How would I have decided in his situation?”

The nearest way I can think of to experience this at home today, is if you have the courage to play a Moral Conflict WWII strategy board game! Playford Games beckons you, just like Norman to make decisions not just in real fast paced action but on their path of the heart.

Could this help to understand how Norman made his choices in Fury, instead of to condemn him?
  16. Jan 19, 2015
    Star Wars-like war movie that glorifies US soldiers whilst portraying Germans as evil imbecills. An unrealistic insult to the men that actually fought in WW2. I highly recommend the mini series "Band of Brothers" instead.
  17. Jan 23, 2015
    Well, considering the whole movie then it was a great EPIC. It's been a while since we've watched a really good war movie.Brad's performance was off the charts and so the others, they all really did great. I loved the soundtrack though it was a little off. But hat's off Steven Price you did awesomely well.
    i'd give it 9/10 because it needed to be a bit longer.
  18. Jan 30, 2015
    1. No story arc. The main characters just go from one pointless mission to another.

2. Great actors, bad script.

3. Five american soldiers sitting in a damaged tank kills 200 SS-soldiers armed with anti-tank rocket launchers. Yeah, okay.

4. Go watch Band of Brothers instead. Much better and more realistic and historical correct.
  19. Feb 21, 2015
    Complete crap. German experienced anti-tank gun crews on defensive positions missing 4 shots in a row when firing at 4 static (from their point of view) Shermans? Ofcourse the Shermans hit targets from 800m away while on the move. Easy.
    This isn't realistic, this is another 'Murica stronk' movie.
  20. Oct 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the movie, but a lot of it isn't logical. For example:
    * A soldier is unlikely to commit murder (shooting German prisoner in the back) with so many witnesses
    * The German girl isn't likely to go to bed so easily and so soon with the hated enemy
    * The other soldiers who enter the German home are implying they would like to rape the girls. They just had sex a few minutes earlier with a hooker in the tank.
    * It's unlikely the Germans would mine the road around a field hospital, which is typically in a safe area and typically would only be used by their own vehicles.
    * Can't for the life of me figure out why the German soldier smiled at the American soldier hiding under the tank and didn't turn him in.
  21. Jan 3, 2015
    Seriously... This movie lacks realism. Good Poduction Design, but every single time a battle started bulets were portrayed as green or red laser beams. It looked more like a start trek movie than WWII. Acting was alright, but a final scene with a foolish group of five having an encounter with 300 hundred Germans and acting like this is something that happens everyday in the war, was tooSeriously... This movie lacks realism. Good Poduction Design, but every single time a battle started bulets were portrayed as green or red laser beams. It looked more like a start trek movie than WWII. Acting was alright, but a final scene with a foolish group of five having an encounter with 300 hundred Germans and acting like this is something that happens everyday in the war, was too much. It was a good action fiction movie, but definetively not a movie that shows you the accurate facts of a war. Expand
  22. Nov 1, 2014
    The first half of this movie is as good as 'Saving Private Ryan'. The second half of this movie is as good as well, 'Commando' (Arnold Schwarzenegger)... I enjoyed both of those old movies, but when watching Fury and seeing it dissolve from a quality war drama into a button masher one gets so disappointed that it just distracts you from the rest of the film.
  23. Feb 15, 2015
    One of the most unrealistic concluding war scenes I have seen. Makes Rambo look realistic. A single Sherman would have been destroyed in a few minutes in that scenario. The Germans did not take over all of Europe and parts of Africa and invade Russia being that stupid.
  24. Dec 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is just another movie that goes with the formula "Our boys on the ground got their asses kicked! Time to paint a picture how superior our tanks and people were and how evil twisted (and in the retarded last scene) stupid all German soldiers were!" Spoilers below!
    Oh boy where do we even start characters are very well done Brad Pit does nice job with his rough and well done acting as a tank commander (rugged veteran) rest of the crew is also solid. Story of a boy that becomes a soldier from total rookie seems a little too forced if you ask me because in one day he transforms into veteran-like crewman it is just too fast he has no trouble operating in the tank even tho story states he was not even in tank school. When we ignore few wierd ocasions where direct hit from 75mm PAK (I'm talking about the direct ones not the obvious ricoshets) does no damage to the Shermans the movie gives you nice idea what Shermans were made for supporting infantry and taking our defensive emplacements, also the tension would be pretty good if there would be any connection to other crews which die as the story goes on. Hard to watch is also the scene where Pit orders a Rookie to shoot German soldier which surrendered and begs for letting him (he tells them he has a family and shows him a picture) live but at least it shows that American army were pigs too WHICH IS AMAZING finally somebody had balls to show it so kudos for that! Then we have the crew and city scene where rookie and Brad Pit invade home of two women where they show the difference between rest of the crew and them. Rookie plays piano Pit shares some cigars and eggs which are cooked for them since they act like normal people and not like animals. After the rest of the crew mainly Shane from walking dead (sorry I remember him as that) comes and acts like morons and even tho rookie stands up to them Pit just sits there not teaching them morals at all for me this scene shows great movie making because you see his dilema on his side Do the right thing? or Keep your friendship with crew? he chooses the 2nd one which is understandable but still he is not happy.
    The tank battle with Tiger is decent scene (if you turn you brain on it is flawed but keeps nice feeling of tension) of course you get the stupid non penetrating hits from 10 meters because logs aperantly stop 88mm AP shots but it was fun. To the last scene which destroyed the film that was so great until now. The crossroad scene shows how some **** can ruin great writing and acting with just one scene sacrificing everything good just to make a "Heroic" (also known as painfully retarded) scene. German soldiers would never act like this hell anybody with a brain wouldn't act like this counting ridicilous tactics of the tanks crew that by some magic work amazingly good, hilarious inaccruracy/loses of the Germans, and overdone to the max aspect for heroic death of crew was just funny to me. Also there were some about 1minute pauses in the scene don't you think they would be flanked by that time? this scene has just flaws all over the place. First even if you fire at the best possible moment when the soldies scatter you won't get so many of them and no F8cking way they will keep up frontal attack (every soldier back then knew that front of the tank is the most dangerous place) they would be flanked and destroyed in about 2 minutes with the Germans sustaining only small loses. Second tank gets flanked so crew pops out and guns everybody down I was near walking out of the cinema! If you pop up like this you get killed in a second before you get your hands out of hatch and line up you would be dead, also why the German soldiers can't do the same shooting like tank crew when they have much more experience with? Third two panzerfausts from point blank do not penetrate and required to be point blank! Those things had range... Only the last one does penetrate and even then deals no damage to the tank only kills one crewman which is impossible shrapnell and munition explosion would wipe the crew. Fourth 3-4 shots to the chest from sniper seem like bb gun and Pit just slides down to the tank continues talking for 2 minutes.
    Last scene of the film and even tho we see that **** talk about "SS ALL BAD U KILL THEM ALL HURRR DURRR!" is not true because German soldier with SS markings sees him but doesn't raise alarm.
    I feel that crossroad scene needs to be deleted or edited it is way too stupid for audience with brains and way too overdone to be believable by the rest. If the last scene wouldn't be there it would be 8/10 this way it has to be 3/10 sorry to those who done a good film until that point I feel if we ignore this heroic nonsense we won't get good war movies. Thanks everyone for reading this Vladimir Vojta Cech Republic
  25. Oct 17, 2014
    Finally, the tank gets its own movie. Long the unheralded workhorse of war, the tank has been largely neglected by Hollywood, probably due to the technical complexity and expense of trying to depict tank warfare. "Fury" attempts to make up for this in spades by reproducing in elaborate detail the everyday grunge, grease and gears of tank warfare in World War II.

The look and feel of

The look and feel of "Fury" is reminiscent of "Saving Private Ryan", but is even more accurate and real-to-life. The dirt, the ill-fitting uniforms, the rust, the scars of life are all lovingly recreated. Especially notable are the costumes, which depict civilian and military dress at the time far more accurately than any movie ever made previously. The wardrobe department must have worked from thousands of contemporary photographs and had an army of seamstresses and designers slaving away to faithfully conjure up every emblem and button and ribbon. The scenes depicting German POWs in a holding camp and a marching column of panzer grenadiers are absolute masterpieces of technical accuracy and wardrobe fidelity. The only limitation on this display of virtuosity is the sheer panoply of styles--sometimes they show so many different uniforms and costumes within a single unit that is unrealistic because a real unit would not have so great a range of dress.

The hardware in the movie is equally realistic. Real tanks have been fully reconstructed to show exactly how they were during the war, paint chips, donkey baskets, dents and all. Pistols, ammo, machine guns and other accessories all are correct down to the click of the slide and cock of the hammer. Even civilian goods are rescued from ye olde antique shop: bottles of wine, wash basins, armoires, rugs, tea kettles, china--all straight out of pre-war Germany.

The real shining star of the movie is the battle scenes, though. These artillery explosions, armor piercing rounds and .50-caliber fire are not your father's SFX squibs and witches brew burnoffs; they are hyper realistic recreations of the actual sights and sounds of real warfare. The whine of high-velocity fire really sets your hairs on end. The only flaw is that the action is compressed, the combatants being too close to each other, but this is obviously necessary so that everything is visible. The producers went to great lengths to show actual combat tactics, so you see infantry support, dug in AT, bore-sighted ambushes, panzer faust and all kinds of other realistic tactics from actual warfare.

The weakness of the movie is its script, which is full of anachronistic modern language and implausible situations with people talking and acting like 1990 east LA toughs instead of real 1940s soldiers. The final battle scene is also completely absurd, with dozens of elite Nazis throwing themselves in front a helpless tanks gun's. It's like those old cowboy and Indian movies in which the Indians deliberately ride in front of cavalry soldiers so they can get shot down. There is also a weird romance/rape scene that tries to split the difference between gang rape, wartime prostitution and cross-cultural dating and ends up in a very awkward place.

All-in-all, if you are war buff or gear head you will love this movie, but don't expect too much from the dramatic side of it.
  26. Feb 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ‘Fury' is a film that manages to be something terrible despite having everything they could ever need at their disposal. All the ingredients are available for a gourmet meal, but somehow it still manages to serve up a platter where the main course contains velveeta “cheese”. Its not surprising, that this isn’t in the top-tier of war movies, but such a pitiful horror-show of cliched mise-en-scene flanked throughout with the exact same visual effects as the first few Star Wars Films(accompanied of course by the same laseresque sound effects) was not what I’d expected.
    I rarely resort to the term ‘offended’, but I think thats exactly the feeling I found swelling up inside of me watching this film. As these catastrophic events unfolded before me, I was just on the verge of physical illness. Now the catastrophe I refer to most directly correspond to the performances of an otherwise noteworthy cast. In fact, as the main characters died off, I found myself feeling relieved. It wasn’t so much that I hated the characters, although none of them are the least bit likable(or more importantly plausible), but that there would be no more of their intensely cliched catchphrases, some of which were probably repeated at record breaking numbers for just 134 mins.
    Its amazing to look back on the plot, and try to think about the narrative; what, if anything, happened? I’m not sure what could be said about this to make it more interesting. If you are looking for action scenes: there surprisingly few, and they are about as intense as a Telenovela, a bit like playing Battleship when you’ve already had ten drinks. Historical accuracy? If you’ve read more than three paragraphs describing WW2, you know there’s something off with this. Its simple-minded portrayal of the German army and its soldiers is overwhelmingly dismissive, to a point so superficially conceived that its jarring, not just for a war film, but any Hollywood movie. Needless to say it was not so compelling.
    What was truly compelling, was the shoddiness of the film’s performances. Brad Pitt was Lt. Aldo Rain, taken down a few notches from exciting to uninvested. Michael Pena took painfully cliche to chalkboard-scraping levels. The guy from the Walking Dead was the worst, his stereotype of sex-crazed, moronic, inbred Southerners wasn’t even believable enough to be cliche(or consistent to be funny). Shia LaBeouf decided to go crazy over the wrong movie(Or maybe he just awakened psychological problems from the fist-fight-free-for-all the director forced the main ensemble to partake in). Lerman, the youngest actor, in fact did admit to being emotionally scarred due to this practice during production, and his performance was probably better than the rest of them.
    Its hard to tell what they were going for with this ensemble, but not one of them was on the same page as any of the others. Alone they put up career-destroying performances, but together created a genre annihilating ensemble. I can’t tell how it worked out this badly. Every scene, every bit of dialogue was truly cringeworthy, the script seemingly generated by a computer whose inspiration was retrieved in bulk from the $5 DVD section at Walmart. Visually speaking, the film isn’t terribly shot whenever we get past the constant close-ups(the visual style complemented by somewhat interesting, highly-saturated version of the Band of Brothers look). Nonetheless its impossible to enjoy, cut up by editing akin to chopping the constituent elements of garden salad with a machete, and throwing them together in an ill-matching concoction of dressings. Amidst the constant gunfire sound-effects, everything stops for a failed dramatic moment about five times throughout, often when the characters face point-blank gunfire. In the final battle scene, consecutive shots bring everything from full daylight to darkest night. At his point, I decided to go to the restroom for a moment of respite, and started to wonder what else I could have done with my $2.50 besides visit this **** dollar theater.
    In the restroom at some point during the film’s exhibition I saw a very old man wearing one of those hats Veterans sometimes wear from reunions. Like many, my grandfathers were in WWII, and I wondered what they would have thought of this movie if they were alive to see it. After all, its been a long time since the war, the youngest veterans of which would be around 88 years old this year, and here was one, barely able to stand up, but he had made the trip here to see this. That’s when I started to feel really bad. I had laughed when I saw the family of five walk in, all of them in head-to-toe camo, but now my heart sank. Maybe the people who were actually there deserve better than ‘Fury'. Of all the Hollywood genres, the War Film seemed to be historically the most consistently interesting and compelling. Just like that, I don’t know if that is longer any accurate. Maybe we all deserve better.
  27. Nov 1, 2014
    Formulaic and nothing new, not to mention unrealistic. The swaggering band of diverse brothers do it again: single handily taking on Nazi German to save the day in swashbuckling style. And their charms are so strong, that even rape victims end up falling for them. Brad Pitt's hair remains amazingly slicked back throughout the movie: I want his hair gel.
  28. Nov 28, 2014
    Completely ridiculous and unbelievable, couldn't me more cliche. Not worth watching, Some decent war scenes ruined by a dumb and biased story. Brad Pitt is horrible in the lead role.
  29. Dec 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The critics' reviews of Fury, at least the ones I read, led me to expect a realistic depiction of tank warfare in WW2, an exciting story line and some reasonable acting. The acting was OK and the characters generally seemed to be trying hard despite the formulaic roles: tough but caring Sarge (Pitt), mandatory minority (Pena, a Mexican-American since the army was segregated at the time), bible-thumping Southerner (LaBeouf), sensitive-rookie-who-becomes-a-man-after-the-ordeal- of-combat( (Lerman) and the psychotic cop from Walking Dead (Bernthal). There is plenty of activity but it is comic book, juvenile stuff and the writer of this epic was obviously never in the army and never saw action. Nor has he bothered to read any realistic accounts of people who have been there. Had he done so he would have known that no tank regiment drives in to a town for a showdown through groups of wandering civilians who don't seem to be aware there's a war on. He would have known that preparing to ambush a relieving German column, some of whose members are clearly shown shouldering panzerfausts (aka bazookas or RPGs), with a single immobile tank would have been short and pointless. When the showdown comes, moreover, the Germans apparently forget they have anti-tank weapons and run around the tank like Red Indians around a covered wagon, which allows many of them to be gunned down like ...Red Indians. As In Saving Private Ryan, the hero dies a soldier's death or at least the sort of death Ayers imagines heroic soldiers die. That is, after the Germans finally get around to lobbing a couple of grenades in the tank Pitt's corpse is not painted to the interior as would happen with an explosion in a confined spaces. His body reclines heroically in its final pose, all limbs attached, where it is found by the rookie after he crawls back in to the tank after his life has been inexplicably spared by an SS trooper who discovers him hiding underneath it. A good movie for 12 year old boys but not for adults.. Expand
  30. Oct 27, 2014
    This movie doesn't just fail on authenticity, but it fails on common sense. What a waste as it clearly aims and succeeds on some levels creating the gritty realism of war, but when will some film makers figure out that you need to have Rambo style combat to entertain the masses. You can have both.

Another aspect that can be a bit painful to watch was perhaps explained when I saw in the credits "Executive Producer: Brad Pitt." I have enjoyed some of Brad Pitt's acting over the years (Moneyball), but this explains a lot as his character was just a bit too perfect and one dimensional. My reaction to this movie was very similar to that of Word War Z – yawn...

Fury will not stand the test of time and it will be just another forgotten war movie.
  31. Dec 1, 2014
    Terrible.
    I had the Team America song " America... f*!? yeah!" in my head throughout the whole movie.
    It seemed as if the US marines has paid for this war glorifying murder of history, with a sprinkle of holy war bible references thrown in for good measure. A ridiculous one sided portrayal of WW2 events. Avoid
  32. Oct 21, 2014
    I'm not sure I'll see a film this year that I'm more disappointed in than this one. Good acting kept from being great because of an unfortunate script and genuinely bad editing. Also, is there anything worse than title and end credit sequences that don't match the film--neither aesthetically or tonally?
  33. Oct 23, 2014
    Brad Pitt leads a tough tank team on missions thru WWII Germany. The inevitable fresh-faced recruit adds to the clichés. The first third of this film is mostly brutal, grimy war. The respite in the middle involves two German women. The final encounter manages to boost the action quotient. It's painted with some arresting visual imagery and drenched in blood, mud, and macho drama. It's war,Brad Pitt leads a tough tank team on missions thru WWII Germany. The inevitable fresh-faced recruit adds to the clichés. The first third of this film is mostly brutal, grimy war. The respite in the middle involves two German women. The final encounter manages to boost the action quotient. It's painted with some arresting visual imagery and drenched in blood, mud, and macho drama. It's war, so things are tough, but the relentless unpleasantness of the one-dimensional characters doesn't make it more bearable (and Pitt has some of the worst war lines ever). Compelling at times with well-done violence, but lacking in that extra quality element that would have made it a great film. Expand
  34. Jan 25, 2015
    70 years later still seems to be good time to release another WW2 movie, like it used to be every year since then. Unfortunatly it glorifies the unjustified brutality and inhumanity of the allied troops against the enemy after they waved the white flag already and put their weapons down already. As of today it becomes obvious that they gave a flying frak about the geneva conventions and70 years later still seems to be good time to release another WW2 movie, like it used to be every year since then. Unfortunatly it glorifies the unjustified brutality and inhumanity of the allied troops against the enemy after they waved the white flag already and put their weapons down already. As of today it becomes obvious that they gave a flying frak about the geneva conventions and the rules of humanity. On top of that trash movie its filled with historic lies from start to end. Expand
  35. Oct 20, 2014
    What a bore! Pitt is solid, but most critically it's very weak on story. Authenticity suffers since the makers were probably brought up on Star Wars they include lasers in a WWII film. There were tracers sure, but nothing like this. Artistic license to be pretty pictures? Fine, but the geek factor basically threw realism out the window. The supporting cast is too mannered in theirWhat a bore! Pitt is solid, but most critically it's very weak on story. Authenticity suffers since the makers were probably brought up on Star Wars they include lasers in a WWII film. There were tracers sure, but nothing like this. Artistic license to be pretty pictures? Fine, but the geek factor basically threw realism out the window. The supporting cast is too mannered in their performances. Michael Peña is not such a great actor who certainly is making bank playing the token Mexican in every other movie out there. Note to Hollywood: it begins to take an audience out of a story with this kind of over-saturation. Expand
  36. Oct 25, 2014
    A truly, truly terrible movie. It must be said. The fact that people would call this travesty a "good world war 2 movie" is just soul crushing in the worst way. It's hard to find where to begin in this review, so I may as well jump into it. I found myself actually hating all the main characters but one, and the one I didn't hate is purely on the account of him doing absolutely nothing. TheA truly, truly terrible movie. It must be said. The fact that people would call this travesty a "good world war 2 movie" is just soul crushing in the worst way. It's hard to find where to begin in this review, so I may as well jump into it. I found myself actually hating all the main characters but one, and the one I didn't hate is purely on the account of him doing absolutely nothing. The film tries to be dramatic and thought provoking but all it really accomplishes is making me feel uncomfortable for no reason at all. It shallow and sporadic in its tone and mother of all thats holy the final two fight scenes are a true travesty beyond compare. I wont spoil anything, but the sheer level of stupidity displayed by the German soldiers is unbridled. Its nonsensical in all ways. Even taking into account the wiggle room afforded by movie magic does this film just insult my intelligence by asking me to believe that the Germans would be so keen as to just throw themselves in front of the enemies guns. Its absurd and breaks immersion and is bad. Just bad. The movie was bad. The characters were bad. The German acting was bad (boiled down to "SCHENLL FRITZ SCHENLL SHUTZ DIE AMERICANA!". I walked away from this movie feels disappointed and just downright dirty for having watched it and severely regret spending the $10 I did. Expand
  37. Oct 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fury is a movie which I had solid expectations for, I thought it would be a ok movie about WW2 and that it would have a fine portrayal of American soldiers. However I was wrong. The movie starts out with Brad Pitt brutally murdering a nazi commander and that set the entire tone of the movie. This movie tries its hardest to make you "feel something!" Im supposed to feel shocked at how brutal and unforgiving this war is with all of the death and murder that happens but I just got bored of all the gore and brutality. The story is ok, but the characters are the spawn of satan, they are all willing to kill surrendering nazis and make the new draft kid do it, rather than interrogating him. You will find yourself rooting for the nazis more than the allies because the nazis do not appear as bad as the horrible American army. The ending almost made me lose my **** after they gunned down hundreds of nazis only the rookie is left and he hides under the tank. Yet a nazi finds him and let's him live! "Hey I know you horribly murdered all of my friends but hey we bros so I'll cut you some slack." Not only that but they take a innocent girl hostage and because the rookie knows how to play piano she develops Stockholm syndrome and bangs him wtf. Screw this movie and it's rape imagery and its horrible characters. Do not see this movie it is not worth it. Expand
  38. Ozy
    Nov 5, 2014
    Brad Pitt, how many pro Jewish movies will you make in your life time? What about Stalin?? what about every other empire that **** the world up at some point in history - why are all the movies about nazi's. Im sick of this nazi crap. Schindler's list was the last be all and end all. No more please! We understand, Nazis are bad! Why dont they make a movie of the GAZA strip??????????
  39. Oct 19, 2014
    Pros: Some decent action, and at times some decent acting (although in this movie i thought it was over-dramatized, and not very genuine at times)
    Cons: Lack of genuineness, originality, subtlety. Alot of scenes were rushed, cliche, or just lacked a subtlety of acting that you'd expect of this movie. whoever wrote the script really needs to step their game up because most of the time i was cringing relatively hard especially during a certain 'time killing' scene around the middle of the movie which had me gasping and closing my eyes at how much they could have nixed or written better.
    If I had the opportunity to go back and time and unsee this movie, i'd probably take it.
  40. Oct 21, 2014
    The best WWII movie I've seen since Saving Private Ryan. Really well done. If the story was better than I'd give it a 10. Overall, it was the best tank battle footage I've seen so far.
  41. Dec 3, 2014
    The director wanted to bring a new experience into the WW2 film world. While critic reviews talked about obsolete images of the 50s, the characters are just too plain and dark than anything I have ever seen on WW2. It must have been the attempt to grasp a reality no one ever thought of, but this reality fails to capture any kind of intricacy. While there was certainly brutality andThe director wanted to bring a new experience into the WW2 film world. While critic reviews talked about obsolete images of the 50s, the characters are just too plain and dark than anything I have ever seen on WW2. It must have been the attempt to grasp a reality no one ever thought of, but this reality fails to capture any kind of intricacy. While there was certainly brutality and ruthlessness in WW2, there were also acts of mercy - expecially in the fight between Americans and Germans. My grandfather was a German soldier in WW2 and was shot by a GI slowly bleeding to death on the battlefield when the Americans found and saved him. Expand
  42. Oct 23, 2014
    This film just seemed to be written as a vehicle for Brad Pitt to get an Oscar nomination. Once that seemed to be the case, the story line became predictable and recycled. There was nothing new here and everything fell on Pitt's shoulders. Do not get me wrong. I think he is an excellent actor but this was too much for him to carry. Some of the dialogue that came out of his mouth made meThis film just seemed to be written as a vehicle for Brad Pitt to get an Oscar nomination. Once that seemed to be the case, the story line became predictable and recycled. There was nothing new here and everything fell on Pitt's shoulders. Do not get me wrong. I think he is an excellent actor but this was too much for him to carry. Some of the dialogue that came out of his mouth made me cringe and the end was preposterous. Expand
  43. Jan 29, 2015
    So bad, it frightened me..The script was terrible ..Illogical, an insult american troops fighting in WWII, a abomination of special effects and the worst costume design ever!
  44. Oct 30, 2014
    This is a film that shows how truly brave our men were back in WW2. Along with that, we get some gritty, graphic action sequences as well as some great acting to top things off. Brad Pitt does an exceptional job as the lead. The supporting cast that includes Logan Lerman, Shia Labeouf , Michael Pena, Jon Bernthal, etc also did great. Despite a few scenes throughout that felt like fillers,This is a film that shows how truly brave our men were back in WW2. Along with that, we get some gritty, graphic action sequences as well as some great acting to top things off. Brad Pitt does an exceptional job as the lead. The supporting cast that includes Logan Lerman, Shia Labeouf , Michael Pena, Jon Bernthal, etc also did great. Despite a few scenes throughout that felt like fillers, this was definitely a very entertaining and great film overall. Expand
  45. Oct 31, 2014
    *Officially better than Monuments Men*

*Officially better than Monuments Men*

Okay, I’ll admit. 2014 has been a pretty good year for movies. With all the sh*tty, boring or just plain stupid films like “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, I also got to see thrilling, intelligent movies. And "Fury” is one of them, fortunately. Of course, this was unexpected, as director David Ayer made some pretty bad movies such as “Sabotage” and “S.W.A.T”, and the trailers seemed kind of drawn-out. Directors and screenwriters have their ups and downs, and this is up. “Fury” is a visceral experience of warfare, a strong movie filled with cool performances and violent, hyperkinetic firefight sequences. And even if the movie didn’t reach its full potential, I can say that I got my money worth.

April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and his five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

There’s nothing much I can say about this film. Its story is pretty damn interesting. Some scenes were more entertaining than the others, but they were still good. The battle scenes were fully intense and the sound effects that were surrounded by me did help to enjoy the scenes even more. I personally love the violence used in this movie. Seeing Nazis heads getting cut off or Germans get hit by tanks is something I really loved to see.

Final Score to Fury: 8/10. I don’t have much to say other that this movie is entertaining. It’s what “Monuments Men” should have been. It doesn’t quite live up to its ambitious title, but it’s filled with outstanding performances and heart-pounding battle sequences. Go check it out.
  46. Oct 20, 2014
    Not since "Saving Private Ryan" has a war movie engaged me this much, David Ayer does a great job directing a war film that we haven't really seen before. When was the last time you saw a movie from the tank crew's point of view ? Fury is a dark and gritty film that shows the horrors of war in the most truthful way. All the performances were great and the action is tense and well shot. OnNot since "Saving Private Ryan" has a war movie engaged me this much, David Ayer does a great job directing a war film that we haven't really seen before. When was the last time you saw a movie from the tank crew's point of view ? Fury is a dark and gritty film that shows the horrors of war in the most truthful way. All the performances were great and the action is tense and well shot. On a side note, that is a real tank they are in throughout the movie. Expand
  47. Oct 21, 2014
    A great World War 2 movie. It is a world war 2 movie, that achieves great heights without being overly patriotic. It examines how horrid war really is, and how it affects the human mind. There were many remarkable performances as well.
  48. Oct 26, 2014
    It has been a long time since a piece of media has made my heart pump this hard. The movie is just completely gut wrenching, and although the ending is a little cliché, the movie overall had me through a very emotional roller coaster. At one moment I was curious, then I was nervous, then I was laughing with the crew, then I was nervous again and again. I don't feel like this movie isIt has been a long time since a piece of media has made my heart pump this hard. The movie is just completely gut wrenching, and although the ending is a little cliché, the movie overall had me through a very emotional roller coaster. At one moment I was curious, then I was nervous, then I was laughing with the crew, then I was nervous again and again. I don't feel like this movie is really all that great, but it sure as hell got my blood pumping and not a lot of movie tend to be able to do that. Expand
  49. Oct 20, 2014
    Fury adeptly balances entertainment and accuracy with regards to human physical and mental state during war. Ayer's use of Lerman's character as a bridge between the audience and the terrors of war is genius. Lerman's performance truly brings you into the tank.
  50. Oct 29, 2014
    Brad Pitt does it once again. This movie was a great depiction that captures the emotions of our soldiers that has been in war. Superb acting. I would definitely watch this again A+
  51. Oct 25, 2014
    Not a very good movie but watchable. High body count, lots of manly grunts. If Swartzenegger was the lead it could have been part of the Commando series.
  52. Oct 27, 2014
    Many will not like this movie and there will be a lot of controversy about it but I personally loved it as probably the best war I have seen in years.
  53. Oct 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fury was a very well told WWII story that depicted the darkness and desperation of some of our greatest generation. Some reviewers were offended by the movie. They would have you believe that in between trying to kill each other, everyone was having tea and reciting bible verses. While not all men and units sank into the desperate measures shown in this movie, many did. My grandfather told me many horrifying stories of his time in Germany. They were brutal on both sides. The psychological examination of this tank unit is fascinating. The bonds they formed, and the anger and resentment they held for each other at the same time. No one else on earth knew what they had done, been through, experienced, except for them. They were more than family. Expand
  54. Oct 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 5 soldiers in a busted tank almost defeat 200 plus german soldiers with anti-tank weapons. This is all that needs to be said about how realistic this film is. It is easy viewing, but more like a ww2 version of the expendables than a classic ww2 film. This film is so predictable... the fun part was discusing all its flaws afterwards! Expand
  55. Nov 2, 2014
    Fury is a claustrophobic war film focused on the psychological experiences and realities of war. A gritty, realistic representation of tank warfare, Fury delivers a strong story with phenomenal visuals and great action sequences. Although the characters lack real depth some of the actors deliver fantastic performances, notably Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman and Shia LaBeouf, who gave anFury is a claustrophobic war film focused on the psychological experiences and realities of war. A gritty, realistic representation of tank warfare, Fury delivers a strong story with phenomenal visuals and great action sequences. Although the characters lack real depth some of the actors deliver fantastic performances, notably Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman and Shia LaBeouf, who gave an oscar-nomination worthy performance. Expand
  56. Oct 17, 2014
    I saw this last night with a group of guys in our 40's. They absolutely loved it and even compared it to Saving Private Ryan and some other classic WWII films. I wasn't so convinced. There are moments where the action and gun fights are fantastic, but some of the character interactions in the quiet scenes in between seemed formulaic and cliche. I will avoid spoilers here but theseI saw this last night with a group of guys in our 40's. They absolutely loved it and even compared it to Saving Private Ryan and some other classic WWII films. I wasn't so convinced. There are moments where the action and gun fights are fantastic, but some of the character interactions in the quiet scenes in between seemed formulaic and cliche. I will avoid spoilers here but these characters are repeats of characters we have seen before in Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The Big Red One, Saving Private Ryan, etc. The cast is strong and the actors play their parts well enough, but the script seems to limit the characters to broad stereotypes.
    There is also a breakfast scene where the crew is eating eggs in an apartment in a town they have liberated. Some of the characters behave in ways that are not consistent with the rest of the movie. Pitt's character in particular seems like he is lost in that scene whereas he is normally a strong and dependable leader. Once the scene is concluded it is never referred to again and all of the characters proceed as though nothing had changed. When I quizzed my group about this scene, even the guys who liked the movie the most agreed that this was a peculiar scene that was out of character for Pitt.
    Overall, when seen on a big screen with a good sound system, it's worth seeing for all of the WWII carnage and the close knit bonds of the tank crew, but don't expect story or characters that you haven't seen before. I don't regret spending the $13 ticket price, but when it comes to HBO I will probably pass on watching it again.
  57. Oct 17, 2014
    Much better than I expected and is a movie even women will enjoy. It is more about relationships built in war and less about the war. Good tank fighting scenes also and the acting is wonderful.
  58. Oct 17, 2014
    I just came back from watching Fury. Brad Pitt is outstanding playing a determined Army Sergeant tank commander near the end of WW II. He leads his weary men into battle in April of 1945 as the Allies march thru Germany. Just like Saving Private Ryan you will literally sit on the edge of your seat nervously as you have a birds eye view of just how dehumanizing war really is. It's notI just came back from watching Fury. Brad Pitt is outstanding playing a determined Army Sergeant tank commander near the end of WW II. He leads his weary men into battle in April of 1945 as the Allies march thru Germany. Just like Saving Private Ryan you will literally sit on the edge of your seat nervously as you have a birds eye view of just how dehumanizing war really is. It's not for the feint of heart on that I can assure you. As I watched the movie unfold I could not help but think back to an old movie my father took me to as a boy back in 1955 starring real life war hero Audie Murphy in To Hell And Back. Audie was the most decorated soldier of all time. He survived the war but died in a plane crash at age 45. Brad Pitt's portrayal very much resembles Audie Murphy's. However, this movie is very tough to watch because it takes no prisoners showing the brutality on both sides with its kill or be killed mentality. Hard to take your eyes off the sliver screen. Expand
  59. Oct 17, 2014
    This movie was a fantastic representation of tank combat during World War II. The cast is great, I have to say I was worried about the cast but they all played their role to perfection. I was impressed by the tank effects. Fury is a M4A3E8, it was a late world War II Sherman variant with the larger 76mm M1A2 gun as opposed to the smaller less powerful 75mm L/40 gun that was present in mostThis movie was a fantastic representation of tank combat during World War II. The cast is great, I have to say I was worried about the cast but they all played their role to perfection. I was impressed by the tank effects. Fury is a M4A3E8, it was a late world War II Sherman variant with the larger 76mm M1A2 gun as opposed to the smaller less powerful 75mm L/40 gun that was present in most Sherman tanks. In the movie they use proper terminology like when they face the Tiger tank head to head they switch to HVAP (high velocity armor piercing) rounds. they really did their research on this movie. The movie was filled with war action, drama, tragedy, and a hint of comedy. I would highly recommend this movie, especially if you love tanks like I do. Expand
  60. Oct 18, 2014
    David Ayer's "Fury" - with all of its horrific imagery, technical majesty, and emotional resonance - just might be the greatest World War II film since "Saving Private Ryan."
  61. Oct 17, 2014
    This movie is fantastic. Great characters, brilliant directing around some moving story. Needed to be 20 minutes longer to complete those arcs. See it.
  62. Oct 19, 2014
    This is a movie I didn't need to see...however...I did see it. It makes you feel like you're in that tank with them. I empathized most with the young guy's attitude even though I am much older and should know more about people's cruelty, without having to experience it first hand. Anyone who wants to go to war should see this movie first and maybe they will change their mind. It'sThis is a movie I didn't need to see...however...I did see it. It makes you feel like you're in that tank with them. I empathized most with the young guy's attitude even though I am much older and should know more about people's cruelty, without having to experience it first hand. Anyone who wants to go to war should see this movie first and maybe they will change their mind. It's powerful, gripping, and sucks the air out of you on what bad things people can do to each other. Even the "good" guys (Brad Pitt) have their viciousness. It's war movies like this that might stop war for people who have a conscience. Wish I knew what we can do for those that obviously have no respect for humanity. Great acting by all! Expand
  63. Oct 21, 2014
    Where this movie succeeds is in making you feel like you're in a tank. Technically wonderful, with a lot of grit, energetic and scary battle scenes, and a thunderous score. The characters aren't particularly original, but by and large they feel like real soldiers. There's a bleak, unsentimental quality to most of the actions. Of course there's a lot of violence, but the movie isn't afraidWhere this movie succeeds is in making you feel like you're in a tank. Technically wonderful, with a lot of grit, energetic and scary battle scenes, and a thunderous score. The characters aren't particularly original, but by and large they feel like real soldiers. There's a bleak, unsentimental quality to most of the actions. Of course there's a lot of violence, but the movie isn't afraid to let a recognizable star get shot in the face. I won't say which one.

It's short of being a great movie though, for a few reasons. For one, the stakes and action are ramped up, and even though many Hollywood conventions are successfully avoided, the jeopardy and brutality can feel gratuitous. Particularly given that they were winning the war, it seems they should proceed more conservatively.

Another issue is a sequence in the middle where the the crew shacks up with some German civilian women. It's muddled and confused, and seems to equivocate on the definition of rape in war. It also muddles the soldiers' code, particularly their leader, who would be hard pressed to justify why he draws the line where he does. Beyond that, the whole thing drags and ends up going nowhere. It seems like it was written just so some of the movie would be outside of a tank, but the subject matter calls for a better written interlude.

Indeed, the writer/director claims to have written in in one quick burst, and I think that's the movie's strength and its weakness. It feels raw and natural, but maybe could have used a rewrite so some character decisions and plot points would make more sense. That being said, even if this isn't quite on the level of Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers and The Pacific, it's still an entertaining movie that says something new about the well-trod subject matter. And if you see it in the right theater, you'll really feel those tanks blasting.
  64. Oct 24, 2014
    As this nation's "Greatest Generation" leaves us, younger generations are losing direct contact with the horrors and atrocities of WW2. To most kids and young adults today it's just an esoteric concept: yeah, a lot of people shot back and forth at each other, many of them died, Hitler was an evil psycho nutcase but so was Stalin, we tossed a couple of nukes on Japan and the whole thing wasAs this nation's "Greatest Generation" leaves us, younger generations are losing direct contact with the horrors and atrocities of WW2. To most kids and young adults today it's just an esoteric concept: yeah, a lot of people shot back and forth at each other, many of them died, Hitler was an evil psycho nutcase but so was Stalin, we tossed a couple of nukes on Japan and the whole thing was over. But it was so much more than that. Unless one actually participated in combat, the abject horror and hideous nature of warfare during WW2 is difficult to fully comprehend. How soldiers and civilians coped in war-torn Europe is beyond what most any of us today can conceive in our minds. "Fury" brings the viewer directly into the thick of all this - vivid life-or-death combat, disparate personalities struggling to get along, inter- and intra-personal conflict, moral conflict, the difference between "doing good" and survival, all brilliant portrayed by a cast led by Brad Pitt. War history buffs may find a few technical faults here and there, but that's not the point of the film. Rather, it's a stark story of war's brutality, survival of the fittest, a seasoned-veteran's struggle to cope and lead his men, a boy barely into adulthood's baptism of fire and blood (as well as loss of virginity). The futility of it all is clear throughout the story - this is no glorification of war or the WW2 Allies - it's the gritty depiction of a single tank crew's struggle to stay sane, alive and, as they express often in the film..."do our job..." This is without a doubt Pitt's greatest performance - by far the most complex and challenging character of his career - and he delivers without disappointment. The core cast all turn in Oscar-caliber performances but the real surprise (and treat) were the deeply complex, realistic and poignant performances by Shia Labeouf and Logan Lerman, both of whom are basically fresh-off-the-Disney/Pixar wagon and still reeking of teen idoldom. Labeouf's portrayal of Boyd Swan, the tank's gunner, a devout, Middle-America scripture-quoting Christian who gives God all the credit for his bulls-eye hits on the enemy (and the human carnage resulting therefrom) is a powerful study of the clash between love-thy-neighbor doctrine and kill-or-be-killed. You lose count quickly of the Germans dispatched to the next life as a result of his expertise. But in a peaceful moment of spiritual discourse with his tank-mates , Swan makes a convincing argument that of course God loves Hitler. Lerman, still looking all the world like a baby-faced teenager but with a little scruffy beard stubble, delivers a brilliant performance as Nathan Ellison, a fresh out of high school clerk-typist who somehow gets diverted to the Front. Those of us old enough to remember can't help but draw some comparison to M*A*S*H's "Radar" character - the innocence at least, but definitely not the funny. Never even having been trained for tank warfare, Ellison is immediately overwhelmed with the reality of continuously staring death in the face. His transformation from boy to man is a horrific coming-to-grips with "kill or be killed". In my humble opinion, Lerman's portrayal absolutely deserves Oscar consideration, as does the entire film. Expand
  65. Oct 19, 2014
    Not great, not bad is really all I can say. There isn't that much drama in this movie. The action is ok but there are no big tank battles. Just feel it was a little bit of a lost opportunity given how awesome the effects are. The action is the best ww2 action since saving private ryan so I wish they took advantage of it more. The acting was also fantastic all around with very believableNot great, not bad is really all I can say. There isn't that much drama in this movie. The action is ok but there are no big tank battles. Just feel it was a little bit of a lost opportunity given how awesome the effects are. The action is the best ww2 action since saving private ryan so I wish they took advantage of it more. The acting was also fantastic all around with very believable characters and stories. Expand
  66. Jan 13, 2015
    I don't write reviews very often on here.....even when I should but I had to fo this movie. I loved it....the grittiness, the atmosphere....everything was fantastic. One of he best war moves ever made in my opinion.
  67. Oct 23, 2014
    Unflinchingly gritty and hyper-realistic, Fury serves as a brilliant representation of War Time and boasts some fantastic performances and action sequences.
  68. Oct 18, 2014
    This movie is a gritty, and in my opinion, a realistic representation of tank warfare during World War II. Brad Pitt does a great job reprising his role as the tank commander, and does a great job showing the conflict of morals in the midst of warfare. The main focal point of this story, I believe, is the camaraderie and friendships that were forged in the fires of war. The tank crew actedThis movie is a gritty, and in my opinion, a realistic representation of tank warfare during World War II. Brad Pitt does a great job reprising his role as the tank commander, and does a great job showing the conflict of morals in the midst of warfare. The main focal point of this story, I believe, is the camaraderie and friendships that were forged in the fires of war. The tank crew acted as a family, regardless of religion, background, and race, and the tank was their home. . Expand
  69. Nov 8, 2014
    It depicts an accurate war, and is action packed and exciting, although it is a little dramatic. Overall, the film has some flaws, but it is welly executed, original, and memorable.
  70. Oct 24, 2014
    Historically, the things depicted in the movie DID happen, if not ALL to ONE tank crew . . . and much of the tactics and battle scenes are inaccurate (albeit, gripping) . . . but hey, it's a movie. I think it would help if many of the negative reviewers saw the film with someone who could explain the history and meaning of some of the scenes to them. Sure, I saw a lot of the sameHistorically, the things depicted in the movie DID happen, if not ALL to ONE tank crew . . . and much of the tactics and battle scenes are inaccurate (albeit, gripping) . . . but hey, it's a movie. I think it would help if many of the negative reviewers saw the film with someone who could explain the history and meaning of some of the scenes to them. Sure, I saw a lot of the same formulaic things that have been criticized, but when put in context to actual events, these things will make better sense. The movie gets the looks right, it is well acted and it presents a very interesting storylline which presents may opportunities to teach a thing or two about not just WW2 but war in general. Expand
  71. Oct 20, 2014
    David Ayer has continued to prove himself to me with Fury. Fury is a dark, violent and brutally realistic depiction of the hell the is war. Every performance within this film was flawless, never have I seen this much raw emotion from any characters in any film. I hope David Ayer continues to use his talents both as a writer and as a director, because he is truly a master of the art!
  72. Oct 22, 2014
    Fury works well on many levels, and doesn't quite make it on others. A score of 8.5 would be best as there are elements that are typical Hollywood that detract from the film. Fury is not necessarily a film makers film, like Tarantion's Basterds, but rather a thematic study that harkens on the motifs and themes of war novels and movies such as, the randomness of war, the brotherhood ofFury works well on many levels, and doesn't quite make it on others. A score of 8.5 would be best as there are elements that are typical Hollywood that detract from the film. Fury is not necessarily a film makers film, like Tarantion's Basterds, but rather a thematic study that harkens on the motifs and themes of war novels and movies such as, the randomness of war, the brotherhood of combat and the duplicitous nature of mankind during times of war and stress (shreds of humanity in a sea of barbarity). Unfortunately, unlike novels like "All Quiet..." the Hollywoodization of the film was reflected in the blatant, obvious attempts, at times, to be so over the top with making sure the audience got the message. The simplistic, stereotypical characters of war show up here and are on display at moments when the direct wants viewers to "get" the message. It is hammered home through repetition and exaggeration. Additionally, Hollywood shows up again at the crossroads where the heroic feats of our crew are hyperbolic in nature and suspension of disbelief needs to be employed. To the good side, however, the film does exceptionally well in the veracity department. The nomenclature of war is there for all to see. Tiger tanks, the "ronson" tanks (Shermans) the effects of the MG42 and so on, make this film a visual fantasy for any war buff. And while the themes are sometimes blatantly obvious they are nevertheless true to the viciousness of war and mankind's quest to solve conflict through violence when words don't work (hence Pitt's relatively quiet demeanor). High production values, steady acting overall and thematic elements make this dark, dirty and gritty film worth seeing. Expand
  73. Oct 19, 2014
    It's a really great movie, and Brad Pitt's performance is outstanding, and I didn't realize that Shia Labeouf actually did good in his performance too, and good actions into the film
  74. Oct 29, 2014
    Strikingly far from mainstream war movie, Fury is unapologetically messy and brutal. The crude nature affects more than the visual, with the cast uttering unrefined profanity along with some military jargon. While the cinematography is splendid, it's nothing near the glossy or cinematic flair of other war movies, such as Saving Private Ryan, this is am unfiltered portrayal of war. It goesStrikingly far from mainstream war movie, Fury is unapologetically messy and brutal. The crude nature affects more than the visual, with the cast uttering unrefined profanity along with some military jargon. While the cinematography is splendid, it's nothing near the glossy or cinematic flair of other war movies, such as Saving Private Ryan, this is am unfiltered portrayal of war. It goes out of its way to display the gritty, sometimes intentionally overlooked aspect of war, the entire dirty ugliness of it.

Brad Pitt as Wardaddy provides a solid leader persona. He's as consistent as he could be, and with the experience of war movie under his other belt, albeit a rather different one, it comes as no surprise that he performs amazingly. It's not a macho leader character as Wardaddy occasionally has doubt, mostly heavily suppressed. Shia LaBeouf as Bible is good, displaying better on-screen flair than most of his recent ones. Michael Peña as Gordo and Jon Bernthal as Coon-Ass (classy name) round up the crew.

Peña works well, delivering a couple of good scene when least expected. Bernthal from Walking Dead has a certain niche, as an ally who sometimes looks like about to snap. Perhaps the highlight of Fury is Logan Lerman as Norman, the newly recruited crew. He's suddenly thrust into battle at its bloodiest. He gradually trades his innocence with experience of the horrid war out of neccesity. Screenplay and dialogues are great, using direct, occasionally rude approach. The characters sound and act like soldiers, and it's not the usual presentable ones for cinema screen.

What gives it more depth is how it's rooted on military. From inside of the tank or down time between skirmishes, every bit seems realistic. The strategy is sound, thus giving more weight to action sequences. This one is not for the fainthearted however, as limbs will fly or get chopped off clean. The movies doesn't dwell on particular gore for shock purpose, it simply brushes fatal graphic and burning bodies as if they are normal occurrences. Soundtracks are effective as well. While most tunes are subtle or orchestra for tense scenes, a few hymns, as if chanted by the soldiers themselves, are eerily moving.

If there' are some minor complains of the movie, it's that the plot progresses in predictable way and the action in darker scenes are murky. Fury is a straightforward ride into the center of war. It's a less flamboyant, certainly not romanticized, but a damn fine one.
  75. Oct 24, 2014
    War movies are just that .. war movies. Tragedy, violence, loss of innocence, brutality etc... But every so often, a war movie comes along that delves deep into a small space.. like a tank.. where brethren have loyalty, courage, humanity, humor, and loads of patriotism.. all the while in the middle of a World War.
    The cast is terrific... Brad and the rest of the cast make for such an
    The cast is terrific... Brad and the rest of the cast make for such an entertaining and inspiring tale of bravery and brotherhood. Fully recommend .
  76. Oct 26, 2014
    Big budget Movie, great effects, A list cast, dumb script - Sure it shows the horror of Tank warfare or indeed any warfare but as a movie it fails, It has severe uneven pacing issues and some inexplicably silly events, for instance in the final scene after an excruciatingly overlong period of the crew preparing for the ambush and soul bearing the film jumps into life with a frenziedBig budget Movie, great effects, A list cast, dumb script - Sure it shows the horror of Tank warfare or indeed any warfare but as a movie it fails, It has severe uneven pacing issues and some inexplicably silly events, for instance in the final scene after an excruciatingly overlong period of the crew preparing for the ambush and soul bearing the film jumps into life with a frenzied firefight only to find the machine gunner running out of ammo which was left outside on the back of the Tank - Now this crew has fought its way through Africa, Normandy and now Germany, these guys should be on top of their game, their lives depend on being as sharp as possible that's the only reason they are still alive and the leave the Ammo on the back of the tank, in an ambush they prepared for meticulously - No I don't buy it, it's just sloppy script writing and don't even mention the scene where the SS guy lets him go...No... Expand
  77. Oct 25, 2014
    I do not issue many 10's in my reviews, but I think this movie deserves a solid 10. The acting in this movie is top notch, and until a time machine is developed and made, I think this is as close to authentic ww2 footage portrayed on the silver screen we can get. It was a solid cerebral movie, Pitt, was Pitt a solid John wayne, kinda hero in ww2, the supporting cast was top notch asI do not issue many 10's in my reviews, but I think this movie deserves a solid 10. The acting in this movie is top notch, and until a time machine is developed and made, I think this is as close to authentic ww2 footage portrayed on the silver screen we can get. It was a solid cerebral movie, Pitt, was Pitt a solid John wayne, kinda hero in ww2, the supporting cast was top notch as well. This movie was more than just being about ww2 and a tank, and that is why I liked it so much.. It is worth the admission and I will also put this in my movie collection..

I hope we get more quality production out of Hollywood like this kind of product.

I enjoyed it.
  78. Oct 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a really good movie, and Brad Pitt carries it. There's a moment toward the end that reminded me quite a bit of the end of Human Centipede, and if you've seen both movies, you know what I'm talking about. It's nowhere near as good as Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, or any other contemporary war flick. But absolutely worth seeing. Expand
  79. Oct 23, 2014
    I'm a WW2 buff especially when it comes to tank combat so I went into this movie with high expectations and man I was let down. This movie reminded me of The Grey because it was just one depressing scene after another that left you with a bad taste in your mouth when it ended. The only thing I enjoyed was the high quality action scenes, except for the ending. I know that war should not beI'm a WW2 buff especially when it comes to tank combat so I went into this movie with high expectations and man I was let down. This movie reminded me of The Grey because it was just one depressing scene after another that left you with a bad taste in your mouth when it ended. The only thing I enjoyed was the high quality action scenes, except for the ending. I know that war should not be glorified but for Christ's sake mix in some positive scenes. Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan got this right. I also find it disrespectful to portray our soldiers so negatively. Another reviewer mentioned that even women would enjoy it. Are you ****ing crazy? Maybe if they like twisted war movies then yes they might enjoy it. It's only worth watching if you're into WW2 or you don't mind a ****ed up action movie. I will not be watching this one again. Expand
  80. Oct 18, 2014
    Decent movie about realities of war. To be honest, didn't watch many trailers presented on this because I wanted to be surprised.
    Good action, great acting. and superb presentation. Really felt the suspense in battle.
    Innocence lost in war was really the overall message of the movie - along the lines of Thin Red Line or the Platoon in terms of examinations of people involved in war. In
    In summary, I would see this if you like war movies, worth a rent or theater visit. Just don't give it outrageous expectations.
  81. Dec 6, 2014
    Another typical US war propaganda celebration movie. Hurray we are so good. Instead of reflecting over the countless war-crimes commited by the US government itself over many years, the film once again only celebrates the "victories" of the US troops during the second world war.
  82. Jun 1, 2015
    Total historical nonsense! But even if you put that aside it is one of the worst war movies ever produced. I do not understand why Brad Pit is playing in this movie. Maybe he needed the money. :-P
  83. Oct 31, 2014
    To be expected from WW2 kind of movie but I haven't seen a tank battle type of movie before. So this is a refreshment for me. I enjoy the movie, like the young chic and love the battle scenes. As usual, nice performance from Brad Pitt.
  84. Nov 8, 2014
    FANTASTIC FILM OF WAR WITH TANK -I LOVED IT,BRAD PIT done a outstanding job as War daddy, excellent script, stunning sound effects,all supporting actors did a fine job,GOOD STORY,VERY GOOD ACTING PERFORMANCE ,AWESOME TANK SHOW MAKE FURY A ENTERTAINING RIDE
  85. Nov 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Entertaining but a little ridiculous, 200+ SS with dozens of panzerfaust have to take whole day to take out a single malfunction Sherman tank !? Is this some kind of Mythological story? Expand
  86. Nov 5, 2014
    Pitt is superb and the cast were excellent, huddled in a tank and the horror of war is depicted with skill and pace but this is a movie guys based on a thin line of truth and embellished to suit a demanding audience but if you believe that one single **** Sherman tank could take on an entire german battle hardened panzer devision plz think again…. this is mostly fantasy designed to keepPitt is superb and the cast were excellent, huddled in a tank and the horror of war is depicted with skill and pace but this is a movie guys based on a thin line of truth and embellished to suit a demanding audience but if you believe that one single **** Sherman tank could take on an entire german battle hardened panzer devision plz think again…. this is mostly fantasy designed to keep you glued to your seat…….. and the last 15 minutes ,although exciting, was pure fiction …but like a computer game great entertainment ! Expand
  87. Nov 8, 2014
    Fury is a film about an American Tank Squad at the end of WW2. We have had some good WW2 movies and some less than mediocre ones. Fury is definitely one of the great ones. Almost everything is this movie is fantastic. The acting, the action, the story, the emotion. They are all great. The film shows how war is, what it does to people, and the reality of it. How it greatly affects them toFury is a film about an American Tank Squad at the end of WW2. We have had some good WW2 movies and some less than mediocre ones. Fury is definitely one of the great ones. Almost everything is this movie is fantastic. The acting, the action, the story, the emotion. They are all great. The film shows how war is, what it does to people, and the reality of it. How it greatly affects them to the point where they are a completely different person. It also showed how there were bad and good people in the war on both sides. I would have given this movie a solid 10 if it weren't for two problems. The first is a sequence in the middle of the film that ran on way too long and took you out of the movie. It could have been shortened to 10 minutes or even taken out entirely. It doesn't add much to the plot. The second is the final battle..The Germans all the sudden have storm trooper like aim. These are really the only problems I had with the movie. As for American propaganda, there is definitely still some but not that much. Way less than I was expecting. One thing I have to talk about is the overall sound. Now I saw this movie is just a regular theater. Nothing special. And holy cow the sound was amazing. You felt all the explosions and gunfire. It completely pulled you into the movie. Also the soundtrack is pretty good.

The acting is really good... All of the tank crewman minus the young lad are complete jerks for most of the movie... and the actors do a great job. Seriously the acting here is phenomenal. After the some not so good attention Shia LaBeouf comes back in Fury and is really amazing. Brad Pitt plays the sergeant "Wardaddy" and as with the rest of actors does a great job. The character that you hate the most would be Jon Bernthal's character. His character is completely messed up due to the war, and Jon Bernthal is really great in the role. Now the newest and youngest member of the squad Norman Ellison is basically the one you root for. He has zero experience and is appalled at the sight at dead bodies. Logan Lerman who portrays him steals the show. His acting is brilliant and completely believable. Now Micheal Pena who plays the last member of the squad "Gordo" does good job as all the others, but doesn't get as much screen time.
  88. Nov 10, 2014
    Fury is a great war film. The whole cast was portrayed very well. Brad Pitt was phenomenal in the lead role. I prefer his performance in this movie over his performance in Inglourious Basterds, another World War II film. I thought the war ground was as accurate as I have seen in any movie and the intensity of war was captured just as well. Fury is certainly worth watching in theatre as itFury is a great war film. The whole cast was portrayed very well. Brad Pitt was phenomenal in the lead role. I prefer his performance in this movie over his performance in Inglourious Basterds, another World War II film. I thought the war ground was as accurate as I have seen in any movie and the intensity of war was captured just as well. Fury is certainly worth watching in theatre as it is the best way to truly experience it. Fury is one of my favorites of 2014. Expand
  89. Nov 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing gorgeous like a ‪‎Pitt‬ movie that eases with an emotional frenzy, spectacular action and head-bursting gore. You top it with great actors like ‪Labeouf‬, ‪Bernthal‬ and ‪Pena‬, you have got yourself a team of awesomeness that can work wonders given proper screen time. Comes wrapped to all of that is a great screenplay that furbishes an already great yet wicked tale of WWII.

‎Ayer‬ buffs up his game in the World War flick with a tank called Fury and ravages everything that reads German through it. As it tramples dead soldiers, and battles fierce tanks like ‪Tiger‬, glimpses from top-notch games like Call of Duty and Company of Heroes come gushing in. The score oozes out brilliance and works like a charm in the background, and uplifts everything that read blood.

Ayer gave a great deal of attention to the flick's presentation. He eases into the beginning with a war planet, a Kraut and a white horse and fades away with the crossroads that Fury never left. He puts in a novice behind the wheel for us to watch the sadistic world around him through a typist eyes. One of the great bits from the flick is the conversation that disrupts the peace in the German's house showing true colours of what savage is, through Bernthal's exceptional acting. The strategy ‪Wardaddy‬ forces on and the teamwork that Fury bears, reflect the war reality with pizazz.

Pitt's acting demands a definite ovation at times like when he bursts open the dam of wrath on finding a Kraut who was being taken in for questioning, or when he helps ‪‎Lerman‬ grow a pair. Death lurks around as the movie climaxes. The team joins their leader into the pits of fire, as the Wardaddy calls Fury his home.

Great stuff!
  90. Nov 13, 2014
    WAR IS HELL. This movie shows how lucky we are with our freedom. Along with The Pianist and other dark times in the history of mankind. This movie was very well done too! Just imagine your in the position of fighting in a war wether you were drafted or you volunteered. Knowing how depressing and shocking war really is makes me hope another draft does not come through because of some peopleWAR IS HELL. This movie shows how lucky we are with our freedom. Along with The Pianist and other dark times in the history of mankind. This movie was very well done too! Just imagine your in the position of fighting in a war wether you were drafted or you volunteered. Knowing how depressing and shocking war really is makes me hope another draft does not come through because of some people that like to follow their own rules in life and religion that make no sense. This movie is very good and remember to put yourself in the shoes of a solider in any war wether you watch it in a movie or are reading a boring chapter in a textbook. Expand
  91. Nov 4, 2014
    Visually and technically (like realistic vehicles, real tanks and weapon) this is the best war movie I've ever watched. Real ww2 era including the Tiger is used, not like the dressed T34 in Saving Private Ryan or others. Film was great to last 15 minutes at crossroad fight. It was very over exaggerated to think 300 SS soldiers can't take out a sitting duck Sherman with panzerfausts. And aVisually and technically (like realistic vehicles, real tanks and weapon) this is the best war movie I've ever watched. Real ww2 era including the Tiger is used, not like the dressed T34 in Saving Private Ryan or others. Film was great to last 15 minutes at crossroad fight. It was very over exaggerated to think 300 SS soldiers can't take out a sitting duck Sherman with panzerfausts. And a cliche like "deadly sniper" finishes the game. A trap could be done there, but in 5 minutes sitting Sherman would be in flames. Whatever, it's a good movie. One of the best war movies around. Tiger fight scene is very good, best action in movie. Expand
  92. Nov 6, 2014
    Taking place nearly the same time frame and running at almost the same time length, the film does not progress as artistically bored as Inglorious Basterds, but the focus on the WW2 action flick on the ground through a tank somehow surprisingly entertaining. The screenplay does not focus on a political trick between those big countries involved in this historical world war, but mostly onTaking place nearly the same time frame and running at almost the same time length, the film does not progress as artistically bored as Inglorious Basterds, but the focus on the WW2 action flick on the ground through a tank somehow surprisingly entertaining. The screenplay does not focus on a political trick between those big countries involved in this historical world war, but mostly on the firing battle between the armies. It heavily narrates the physical and mental torture of the soldiers in this hell-like battleship, arguing the right and wrong humanity subjects, stresses on the horror and darkness consequences of war towards those heroes who fight rather than questioning their heroic aspects. The emphasis on character development, charismatic performance from Brad Pitt as always, surprisingly big improvement of Logan Lerman from Percy Jackson to Norman with strong humanity and the thrilling scores from Steven Price all added up making Fury as one of the best war film in this recent decade. Expand
  93. Nov 29, 2014
    As a former US Marine, I was impressed. This film ranks right up there with :"Saving Private Ryan"....and Brad Pitt gave one of his best performances to date...but indeed all the characters were believable and convincing. A must see for all Vets especially if you were a Tanker.
  94. Dec 25, 2014
    wow what an amazing war movie. this movie takes a look at a part of world war II that has never been looked at before. Amazing performances from everyone especially Brad Pitt and also Jon Bernthal. Definitely does deserve some academy award attention. I Highly recommend this film. Watch It!!!!!!!
  95. Jan 22, 2015
    This movie looks nice but the script can eat my balls, nice visuals and a talented screen director are squandered on extremely poor writing and editing for the benefit of the mentally handicapped. This movie was so pro-America it made me **** laugh, from the moment they try and make rape seem ok to the protagonist's character arc occurring in the first act of the movie. I like over the topThis movie looks nice but the script can eat my balls, nice visuals and a talented screen director are squandered on extremely poor writing and editing for the benefit of the mentally handicapped. This movie was so pro-America it made me **** laugh, from the moment they try and make rape seem ok to the protagonist's character arc occurring in the first act of the movie. I like over the top action movies but this movie takes itself seriously and delivers only cock tease action with no meaning. Shia LaBeouf does a great job and hes got the best character but he's surround by retards and the movie isnt about him, he takes a back seat to Pitt and the dumb kid who awkwardly and pointlessly become Dad and Son completely changing Pitts character, who we already know because the director cast Brad Pitt as the exact same character from Inglorious Basterds.

The real issue with this film is there is no story, there's no motivation for the characters, there's no **** antagonist, there's nothing at stake so when they go off to do whatever for no reason you can't care. Nothing at all builds up to the final scene where you're treated to the same scene of Germans helplessly dying (as they have the whole movie) repeated over and over and over until the movie finishes is proverbial sloppy handjob with no finish, rolls over, farts and falls asleep as the credits roll.

I'd recommend the scenes when Shia LaBeouf shoots the tank cannon but nothing else, this is a movie for the extremely simple of mind who applaud Uncle Sam's freedom loving American soldiers bringing Gods divine will to the evil Nazis in their fantastical naive concept of World War II.

This movie is a good summary of the diarrhea stream of recent movies that people like because holy **** thinking is hard.
  96. Dec 1, 2014
    A great movie about a tank crew that becomes brothers in war. Normally this group of diverse people wouldn't give each other a second thought. Without giving to much away the fight scenes are good and dramatic and the film is rather gritty. I would recommend this to anyone who liked saving privare ryan or other generic yet good war movies.
    Some pretty good acting and constant clashing of
    Some pretty good acting and constant clashing of beliefs and personalities.
    It's good to see Brad Pitt in a gory role after War Z.
  97. Nov 29, 2014
    Rarely have I found myself in suspense in movies these days, which is why Fury surprised me. The cast plays well together and offers heavy distinction from character to character, making you feel like no two people are alike. The thing that I enjoyed most about this movie though ended up being the intensity, which is created by good pacing and dynamic events that scale properly, makingRarely have I found myself in suspense in movies these days, which is why Fury surprised me. The cast plays well together and offers heavy distinction from character to character, making you feel like no two people are alike. The thing that I enjoyed most about this movie though ended up being the intensity, which is created by good pacing and dynamic events that scale properly, making each battle-driven encounter feel important instead of somewhat overlooked. Intensity is also built within Fury through the nuanced audio and visual production. This isn't futuristic in terms of the special effects that happen on screen, but so masterfully do the audio and visual elements work together - everything felt real and impactful, almost as if I was walking with soldiers fighting on the front lines. Truth be told, Fury ends up being one of the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. Expand
  98. May 7, 2015
    A WW2 film that isn't just about blood and guts. While there is plenty of tense, violent combat the focus is more on how it affects the soldiers involved. In the beginning of the film we are introduced to a tank crew who has just lost a man and have been beaten down by the war. They're tired, irritated, and more than just a little bit sick of each other. Then comes in rookie "Norman"A WW2 film that isn't just about blood and guts. While there is plenty of tense, violent combat the focus is more on how it affects the soldiers involved. In the beginning of the film we are introduced to a tank crew who has just lost a man and have been beaten down by the war. They're tired, irritated, and more than just a little bit sick of each other. Then comes in rookie "Norman" (Lerman) who whose innocence is at odds with the psychologically tormented crew of M4 Sherman tank "Fury."

The movie isn't afraid to show you just how messed up these men have become. They are all superbly cast. Their actions are believable. The war has changed them into vulgar, almost completely unfeeling people. There are moments here that show that the U.S. soldiers weren't just heroes going into Germany and that they showed genuine hate not just towards the Nazi army, but towards German people as a whole.

It's more of a psychological war film. Yet near the end it turns into your predictable war film. With heroic sacrifices and a long, bloody conflict. The action and gore are cranked up to 10 making it feel more like what you would expect from a war film. It packs the same emotions you could expect from a WW2 film since "Saving Private Ryan" came out and changed the game. Mix that with the fact that you can totally predict how things are going to turn out for Lerman's character and you have a film that feels a touch familiar.

However it's views in the psychological effects of war and attention to detail in regards to combat from behind the controls of a tank make it worth a watch. It's a little bit more than your average war film. With a cast this excellent they would have had a hard time not succeeding even if they did just go for a straight up generic WW2 film. However they went the extra mile and gave us a new take on war combat by showing us tank warfare and taking a look on how war effects people's mentalities. A few familiar aspects of war films are hanging around, but the majority of it is a fresh take on the genre.

I give "Fury" an 8.3/10.
  99. Jan 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An entertaining movie to an extend, but not very authentic and unrealistic. I really liked how they showed the truth about the pile of crap the M4 Sherman was. It was simply despicable that the Army sent their boys in such deathtraps into a war. I liked how they used authentic terms like AP (armor piercing) ammunition and I liked that they actually used Germans and not Americans who try to speak German. Though, somebody should have coached Mr. Pitt a bit better, he sounded like he talked German for the very first time and was barely understandable. I liked how they showed the hell that is war and how it changed even the heroes in this movie to heartless pigs who execute people randomly. Here is where my praise ends.

The anti-tank crew in the first field battle was extremely stupid. They couldn't hit a barn door on 5 ft. Unrealistic. Not even very inexperienced crews were that bad. The Tiger battle was not much better. It was true that Tigers wrecked havoc amongst Shermans, but the Tiger crew was very bad. They weren't able to perform a simple maneuver to prevent the Sherman from getting besides/behind them, which is simply turning their tank on the spot. Not to mention at the end of the battle they suddenly didn't shoot anymore. The rear actually had the same armor strength as the front. Only the sides were not protected well. Also Sherman 76 mm guns could penetrate part of the front of a Tiger at such close range and even the sides, but every hit of the Tigers 88 mm gun would have obliterated an M4. The one hit deflected by wooden planks was laughable. In reality it would have penetrated the tank in its whole width and killed everyone inside. Wood is no protection at all against a tank gun.

What was it all about that soldiers shooting at tanks with rifles, MGs and hand guns like madmen? That never happened to that extend.

About every 3rd or 4th of those 300 soldiers at the end carried an unused Panzerfaust. And suddenly they have only 4 or 5 left stored in a case? And why don't they just jump behind the trees/bushes at the side of the road and seek cover to attack the Sherman from the flanks? Nope, they ran right into the line of fire and even hid in a house??? Then they use the AT Weapons from point blank and still miss? And the one that hit it right in the middle didn't kill all the people inside? Impossible. And even if so, why didnt anyone use the hole in the tank to lob grenades into it at the end? Why didn't the crew use that hole to throw the last grenades out again? The driver of the Sherman lobbed grenades out of his hatch while his commander sat on top of the tank without getting shrapnel into his face from those grenades? Mr. Pitt with 2 obvious shots to both lungs was able to speak normally and live on for a long time. That M4 crew just killed like 200 of his friends and the German seeing him under the tank lets him go? Please...

Sorry, even with all the good things, this movie felt more like propaganda from those times.
  100. Nov 24, 2014
    Yet another World War II movie. But done exceptionally well. Incredible attention to details, great acting and cinematography. It reminded me of "Saving Private Ryan". The end of war is close but until it does end many more people are going to dye (I am somewhat para-phrasing the main character's words). The movie is very intense and brutal, it kept me on the edge of my chair. My heart wasYet another World War II movie. But done exceptionally well. Incredible attention to details, great acting and cinematography. It reminded me of "Saving Private Ryan". The end of war is close but until it does end many more people are going to dye (I am somewhat para-phrasing the main character's words). The movie is very intense and brutal, it kept me on the edge of my chair. My heart was beating so fast, I had to literally calm myself down. True, some battle episodes were not quite believable but it did not spoil the impression of the movie overall. I expect it to be the major contender for the best movie of the year. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Oct 22, 2014
    Loud, intense, violent, relentless, Fury doesn’t stop until the credits roll, thanks to Ayer’s cracking direction and a committed cast. The best WW2 movie in some time.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Oct 20, 2014
    A persuasive, warts-and-bolts depiction of warfare from the guts of a tank yoked to an overwrought, sub-Private Ryan account of innocence under fire — so a hit and a miss.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 19, 2014
    Fury is literally visceral— a kind of war horror film, which is, of course, what good combat films should be.