Columbia Pictures | Release Date: October 17, 2014
7.3
Generally favorable reviews based on 655 Ratings
WATCH NOW
michaOct 17, 2014
Much better than I expected and is a movie even women will enjoy. It is more about relationships built in war and less about the war. Good tank fighting scenes also and the acting is wonderful.
RegicideOct 17, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was something far from what I expected. When going into a World War 2 movie I have nothing but fond memories of seeing camaraderie and people banding together, mercy and suffering, beauty amongst all the pain in the ways the soldiers interact not only with each other as brothers in arms but with their enemies as warriors of the highest caliber. Respect and honor and so forth. I also believe it's important to involve scenes depicting the depravity of war, war in all its shades from darkest moments, to light hearted conversations, to acts of valor beyond the normal human's comprehension. Fury attained some of these goals yet they were few and far between. It captured the depravity of war than went on to blow it into epic proportions with soldiers cussing at every five second interval, looking at women in captured towns as meat for them to rip into at their own leisure, and what may have been others was now, well, theirs. Fury disgusted me in this showing of barbarism, I feel as if the director looked at World War 2 propaganda and decided that was all their was to the war. I know very well that war has these incidents yet this often? It made me think it was some child trying to convince me of the brutality of his mother's beating by over-exaggerating every detail. The battle scenes were incredible, and executed perfectly even the explicit language had some sense when used in these scenes, aside from the overdramatic effect of some weapons they were quite well done, until of course the final fight scene. Ah, the final scene, where Fury finally attained the essence of camaraderie among the soldiers and made you root for them every second, until you realized they needed no help against the Nazi's they were fighting. To call these SS Nazis, soldiers was almost a laughable idea. The SS were known for their brutality and amazing battle skills, but apparently if you pit them up against a Sherman (a tank mocked by even the American's themselves when sizing them up to any other tank) they fall like flies, throwing their bodies at it until something cracks, refusing to fire weapons thinking it'd be safer to rush the tank and wave their arms wildly to stop the gunfire. You may think an RPG even in World War 2 was able to be fired from a distance, but according to Fury you'd be wrong, and even point blank it seems as if these RPGs can miraculously miss a shot worse than a musket from ages past. It's hard to believe these "SS soldiers" could even walk without falling over themselves. I feel if any veteran actually saw this movie they'd wonder why they themselves ever feared these spoon fed children. Some people might say "Oh, but the Nazi's recruited everyone at this stage in the war, in fact it was stated in the movie." in which case I'd say yes, it was stated excellently so in fact. One of the few moments where the American's seemed almost likable was when they executed the SS officer who hung children. But I would also say that although they recruited everyone, the SS was something you were not thrown into unless you deserved it. I found myself almost rooting for the Nazis after the forced execution of a surrendered soldier. Fury made our Golden Generation of warriors seem like monsters. If the director of this film (I had no intention to try to memorize the name of the director after seeing this movie) read into even a piece of war accounts by soldiers and reporters in the field, he/she may have realized the way our soldiers actually behaved was courteous and kind in most accounts, of course there were times when our soldiers were out of line but they were almost always stopped by a commanding officer. Nonetheless the worst part by far was the fact that Fury made the SS look merciful compared to us. I know the cliché of "young soldier spares enemy because of some level of compassion and fear" but an SS soldier? Really? An SS soldier would have killed him on the spot, yet it shows our soldiers ruthlessly murder a surrendering Nazi? This movie had few good points, I'm sure if any veteran watched this movie they would be disgusted at how they were portrayed. All in all the movie isn't worth the price of admission, it was a wasted two hours of propaganda to try to slander our Golden Generation. Expand
oDjentoMar 5, 2015
This film was a great war movie and was a really the best WW2 film I can think of to come out in the last 4 years about. The cast is great, Brad Pitt and all the rest making a great team and an interesting one, and even though this tank teamThis film was a great war movie and was a really the best WW2 film I can think of to come out in the last 4 years about. The cast is great, Brad Pitt and all the rest making a great team and an interesting one, and even though this tank team does have some typical characters you find in WW2 movies (the religious one, the trouble maker, the scared one, the battle hardened leader) they play their roles each so well that you really enjoying watching all their screen time. Effects look great and the film was deliciously savage in gore which I didn’t exit to be so brutal but it adds to the effect of the overall film. The direction can make you feel claustrophobic at times which may help add to the immersion of the men inside the tank but you do get to fully witness the battles that go on throughout too.
However, I did find some scenes a little clichéd and unnecessary to try develop characters but they didn’t properly detracted from the overall movie. Some of the unnecessary scenes did add to the characters but they seemed a little forced into the story and properly could’ve developed them in other ways.
Basically, go see this film for the chemistry and acting of the main tank men and for the full visceral immersion the film brings of tank fighting in WW2. It really does portray how bleak it was and how morally questionable us “good guys” in the war were. Good film, give it a watch.
DavidStennettJan 13, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A highly enjoyable action war movie with great depth.

Some of the battle action is not realistic but this does not detract from the deeper massage.

“Ideals are peaceful, history is violent” states Don Collier (played by Brad Pitt) as he takes a new crew member under his wing. However it is this Norman Ellison played by Logan Lerman who is really the central character in this movie.

Conscience hits the reality of war, as a Norman young inexperienced American, suddenly takes the role as machine gunner in a US Sherman tank nicknamed Fury in the dying throws of Nazi Germany. Powerless and hardly believing where he is Norman cries, “I have never even seen the inside of a tank”. Movement, power, brutality and destruction follow the tracks of the steel tank, as all hell breaks loose.

This film is called “Heart of Steel or “Herz aus Stahl” in Germany and this name is very appropriate. Within the few days of combat in the heart of Germany, Norman goes from someone prepared to die, rather than execute captured SS soldiers, to a furious, hard hearted killing machine. As he quickly learns, it is not quite as simple as “kill or be killed”. If he does not kill quickly, his crew members could easily be those which will quickly die.

If you are looking for much more depth than just an action packed war movie, then this is for you. Every moment life changing decisions are presented. While the moral conflict rages all around him, it penetrates and grasps his heart. As the movie ends, he survives only through the mercy of an SS soldier. Deep in thought he weighs his soft heart at the beginning of the film and his hard heart at the end. The path his heart took seems almost unreal but the film makes it seem logical and plausible.

The deeper issue of idealism and realism is the heart of this story. Should an idealistic person such as Norman act on moral principles or as most others, act on interests. Ideals without power to put them in practice are shown to be empty but power alone is seen to be brutal. It is said that realism and idealism are different sides of power and must be used together with both heart and discernment. The main characters struggle with this moral conflict. This dark world shows that a man who understands both reality and morality is rare.

I couldn’t stop talking and thinking about this movie for days. Yes the action is not always realistic as many have pointed out but I think the message comes across powerfully. Ultimately you are drawn to ask,

“How would I have decided in his situation?”

The nearest way I can think of to experience this at home today, is if you have the courage to play a Moral Conflict WWII strategy board game! Playford Games beckons you, just like Norman to make decisions not just in real fast paced action but on their path of the heart.

Could this help to understand how Norman made his choices in Fury, instead of to condemn him?
hadyheshamJan 23, 2015
Well, considering the whole movie then it was a great EPIC. It's been a while since we've watched a really good war movie.Brad's performance was off the charts and so the others, they all really did great. I loved the soundtrack though it wasWell, considering the whole movie then it was a great EPIC. It's been a while since we've watched a really good war movie.Brad's performance was off the charts and so the others, they all really did great. I loved the soundtrack though it was a little off. But hat's off Steven Price you did awesomely well.
i'd give it 9/10 because it needed to be a bit longer.
cliftonrainAug 10, 2015
One of the best Brad Pitt movies I seen in years. Fury grabbed me and it never let go. It was so good I had to see it 2 more times and still loved it. The performances were spectacular and theme soundtrack was amazing.
kris2furDec 1, 2014
A great movie about a tank crew that becomes brothers in war. Normally this group of diverse people wouldn't give each other a second thought. Without giving to much away the fight scenes are good and dramatic and the film is rather gritty. IA great movie about a tank crew that becomes brothers in war. Normally this group of diverse people wouldn't give each other a second thought. Without giving to much away the fight scenes are good and dramatic and the film is rather gritty. I would recommend this to anyone who liked saving privare ryan or other generic yet good war movies.
Some pretty good acting and constant clashing of beliefs and personalities.
It's good to see Brad Pitt in a gory role after War Z.
SchroederRockNov 29, 2014
Rarely have I found myself in suspense in movies these days, which is why Fury surprised me. The cast plays well together and offers heavy distinction from character to character, making you feel like no two people are alike. The thing that IRarely have I found myself in suspense in movies these days, which is why Fury surprised me. The cast plays well together and offers heavy distinction from character to character, making you feel like no two people are alike. The thing that I enjoyed most about this movie though ended up being the intensity, which is created by good pacing and dynamic events that scale properly, making each battle-driven encounter feel important instead of somewhat overlooked. Intensity is also built within Fury through the nuanced audio and visual production. This isn't futuristic in terms of the special effects that happen on screen, but so masterfully do the audio and visual elements work together - everything felt real and impactful, almost as if I was walking with soldiers fighting on the front lines. Truth be told, Fury ends up being one of the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. Expand
TheQuietGamerMay 7, 2015
A WW2 film that isn't just about blood and guts. While there is plenty of tense, violent combat the focus is more on how it affects the soldiers involved. In the beginning of the film we are introduced to a tank crew who has just lost a manA WW2 film that isn't just about blood and guts. While there is plenty of tense, violent combat the focus is more on how it affects the soldiers involved. In the beginning of the film we are introduced to a tank crew who has just lost a man and have been beaten down by the war. They're tired, irritated, and more than just a little bit sick of each other. Then comes in rookie "Norman" (Lerman) who whose innocence is at odds with the psychologically tormented crew of M4 Sherman tank "Fury."

The movie isn't afraid to show you just how messed up these men have become. They are all superbly cast. Their actions are believable. The war has changed them into vulgar, almost completely unfeeling people. There are moments here that show that the U.S. soldiers weren't just heroes going into Germany and that they showed genuine hate not just towards the Nazi army, but towards German people as a whole.

It's more of a psychological war film. Yet near the end it turns into your predictable war film. With heroic sacrifices and a long, bloody conflict. The action and gore are cranked up to 10 making it feel more like what you would expect from a war film. It packs the same emotions you could expect from a WW2 film since "Saving Private Ryan" came out and changed the game. Mix that with the fact that you can totally predict how things are going to turn out for Lerman's character and you have a film that feels a touch familiar.

However it's views in the psychological effects of war and attention to detail in regards to combat from behind the controls of a tank make it worth a watch. It's a little bit more than your average war film. With a cast this excellent they would have had a hard time not succeeding even if they did just go for a straight up generic WW2 film. However they went the extra mile and gave us a new take on war combat by showing us tank warfare and taking a look on how war effects people's mentalities. A few familiar aspects of war films are hanging around, but the majority of it is a fresh take on the genre.

I give "Fury" an 8.3/10.
MustisTheCatJul 9, 2015
Don`t kill me. I`m a history buff and I love this movie. If you`re an Average Joe, just substract 1 from the rating and you`re good.

Wanna watch a movie? Don`t see any trailers, don`t read any reviews, just go watch it and make your own opinion. I did just that when I heard about Fury. I was surprised it was so good.
At first knowing that a top Hollywood actor would take the main role and GASP...LaBeouf and Lerman, I didn`t expect much. But I was wrong, the scenario has put a good weight on the story rather than the men involved. So Pitt is excellent (I want that haircut!!!), LaBeouf gets minimum camera time and Lerman is kept mainly in the background.
Instead the story focuses on the events which is last year of World War II. My favorite tank, the Sherman Firefly with the 76mm long barrel cannon and YES YES YES, the Panzerkampfwagen VI namely THE TIGER I with the 88m cannon. I would watch this film 20 times for the Tiger scene alone, it is so well made. Actually the last tank battle so well made I watched last was the "Kelly`s Heroes" bit.
As a whole I think this movie is extraordinary for showing what the World War II really was : killing people, explosions, dirt, pain and fear of dying on a daily basis. No sentiment, just war. Even in 1944 it was hard for the Yanks to fight their way into 3rd Reich as they were faced by nazi fanatics.
I found the story to be silly but the actual last scene I liked for the fireworks.
That said, when I think what a normal viewer would get out of this movie...maybe an image closer to what World War II really was (but still a tad bit unrealistic, you know, the tracers, meh).
Nevertheless, a good addition to film library for every history buff out there.
netflicNov 24, 2014
Yet another World War II movie. But done exceptionally well. Incredible attention to details, great acting and cinematography. It reminded me of "Saving Private Ryan". The end of war is close but until it does end many more people are goingYet another World War II movie. But done exceptionally well. Incredible attention to details, great acting and cinematography. It reminded me of "Saving Private Ryan". The end of war is close but until it does end many more people are going to dye (I am somewhat para-phrasing the main character's words). The movie is very intense and brutal, it kept me on the edge of my chair. My heart was beating so fast, I had to literally calm myself down. True, some battle episodes were not quite believable but it did not spoil the impression of the movie overall. I expect it to be the major contender for the best movie of the year. Expand
MikefromAngusJan 8, 2015
The movie is not 100% real. There are a lot of parts in the movie, that are just not true. But the movie was still enjoyable to watch. The cast was good, acting was good as well. a solid 7 out of 10!
Bruce722Feb 8, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fury is a good film that depicts an American tank crew towards the closing of World War II. This movie had a lot of hype coming out and I think it largely was able to live up to most of it. Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman, Shai LaBeouf, Jon Bernthal, and Michael Pena form a fantastic cast of unique and substantially developed characters. The acting of Pitt and Bernthal especially carry the film. The plot, though lacking much premise beyond the war itself, is also developed really well throughout. There is one particular scene towards the midpoint of the film when they're about to leave a city after capturing it that really stood out and is, in my opinion, one of the best scenes in war movie history. Unfortunately, the movie couldn't carry that emotion throughout the rest of the film. The closing battle sequence was a little too "Hollywood" and didn't vibe with the realism and grit of the rest of the movie. Because of that, many of the character deaths felt unauthentic and didn't deliver the emotion that they should've. Overall, it's still a solid movie but it had potential to be much better. Expand
csw12Dec 17, 2014
Maybe not to the caliber and scope of Saving Private Ryan but Fury is one a superb war film. Fury adeptly balances entertainment and accuracy with regards to human physical and mental state during war. The action is great, the score isMaybe not to the caliber and scope of Saving Private Ryan but Fury is one a superb war film. Fury adeptly balances entertainment and accuracy with regards to human physical and mental state during war. The action is great, the score is fantastic and even with an ending that is a little cliché, it still was marvelous. Expand
mrmonsterFeb 14, 2015
this is not just my favor war movie this is one of my favorite movies of all times.this movie was very intense and moved at a great pace.Logan Lerman and Shia LaBeouf will never be concerned B list actors again
SpangleJul 18, 2015
Fury is a film that incredibly brutal and intense at times, but manages to be a stirring and emotional war film throughout due to its focus on brotherhood and the friendships formed during war times. The direction from David Ayer was greatFury is a film that incredibly brutal and intense at times, but manages to be a stirring and emotional war film throughout due to its focus on brotherhood and the friendships formed during war times. The direction from David Ayer was great here and the war/action sequences were expertly put together. Ayer has a knack for some real great action sequences and Fury is no exception to that. Brad Pitt, Shia Labeouf, Michael Pena, and especially Logan Lerman, were all stellar in their respective roles. The costume design and makeup in the film were also very great as these men look the part and look war battered. However, where Fury is the most successful is in the realism. Incredibly faithful to reality, the film feels authentic, especially when it comes to the blood and gore of war. As a whole, Fury is no Saving Private Ryan, but is definitely the best war film in a while and stands as a very good film in what was a great year for film in 2014. Expand
KevowOfRiceFeb 18, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fury is the most realistic WWII movie I've ever seen, up until the last bit where their tank turned into an invincible fortress and the Nazi's somehow lost half of their IQ and blitzcriged the FRONT of the tank. Expand
ViperspiderFeb 6, 2015
This movie was pretty great. The only reason it's not 10/10 for me is just because it's not one of my favourite movies of all time, but I cant fault it.

Shia LaBeouf was fantastic in this movie, his acting was easily one of the more

Shia LaBeouf was fantastic in this movie, his acting was easily one of the more convincing performances I've seen in a long time. The effects in the movie are pretty great, except they put some very odd colouring around the bullet tracers which made them seem like lasers from Star Wars. The fight scenes were action packed and very cool, I really enjoyed them.
SimpleMethodDec 2, 2014
Fury's a solid world war II movie. The main cast is great, Brad Pitt, Shia, and Logan Lerman particularly. It's not outstanding stuff like Saving Private Ryan, but it's a solidly told and entertaining story.
NathonasDec 24, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Solid war film ruined by a horrible, unrealistic ending. I'm no WW2 expert, but I know that the Germans would make very short work of an immobile tank with anti-tank rocket launchers. The tank crew could catch them by surprise and kill maybe a dozen or two, but after that the Germans would simply disperse and shoot the tank with bazookas from a safe angle.

Not to mention using the stupid "characters die dramatically one by one, from least important to most important character" cliche. And the simple fact that they should have retreated as there was absolutely no strategic significance in holding that objective (like Don said himself, the war was pretty much over anyway.)

I really enjoyed the rest of the film though; it does a good job of touching upon the realities of war.
tonylionedoFeb 16, 2015
best world war 2 movie I've ever seen,it leaves me so sad after makes me fully realize the cruelty of war and I know that we should never initiate war and violence,I cant say nothing other than RIP to the person who lost their life in worldbest world war 2 movie I've ever seen,it leaves me so sad after makes me fully realize the cruelty of war and I know that we should never initiate war and violence,I cant say nothing other than RIP to the person who lost their life in world war 2,great movie. Expand
Enforcer122Nov 27, 2014
Truly outstanding movie. Acting throughout is intense, the story is well thought out and every bit of it was enjoyable. I enjoy WW2 films, but often feel that it's been over done. But Fury does an incredible job of making a genre feel fresh.Truly outstanding movie. Acting throughout is intense, the story is well thought out and every bit of it was enjoyable. I enjoy WW2 films, but often feel that it's been over done. But Fury does an incredible job of making a genre feel fresh. Such an epic film. Expand
SmoothrunnerJan 6, 2016
"We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn: But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breadth of Mind, So we left them to teach the Gorillas"We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn: But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breadth of Mind, So we left them to teach the Gorillas while we followed the March of Mankind." (The Gods of the Copybook Headings by Rudyard Kipling)

War, as it is - even a little bit embellished - dirty and ruthless.

To understand what "Fury" is and why all were so and not otherwise, you should look back a little, and then look around.

After the "humiliating" for the "imperial nation" Treaty of Versailles, Germany rather quickly disillusioned in liberal democracy of the Weimar Republic. Although after the hyperinflation economy finally stabilized, but only to be immediately "decimated" by the global economic crisis. New energetic leader and disgruntled by the defeat in the Great War military leaders whispered to Germans about betrayal, conspiracy of treacherous West against Germany, which was not defeated on battlefield and capitulated only due to the cunning and treachery of the liberal politicians. And the Third Empire began to "get up off its knees" under active and simply tacit approval of the German people, who listened enthusiastically every word their charismatic leader said.

"They are prophesying to you false visions, divinations, idolatries and the delusions of their own minds" (Jer. 14:14).

With its "special path", the bearer of an "unique Aryan gene", Germans, according to the Fuehrer was the only beacon of civilization, against which the rest of the world fought. But now Germany is as strong as ever. Western leaders, all these "Daladier and Chamberlains" were despised by Hitler as weak-willed and cowardly. They "swallowed" the Austrian Anschluss, the annexation of the Sudetenland, the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia, accepted the infamous Munich Agreement. Meanwhile not confined by liberals and democrats and not burdened with the "bourgeois morality", the energetic leader behaved with unprecedented arrogance and rudeness. Together with his teacher from the East, he dismembered Poland. Then easily captured France. There only a defiant England left with this funny old man Churchill. Authoritarianism, when critics "do not rock the boat" with the stupid "democracy", confirmed its benefits - at that time, as democracies swayed in doubts, authoritarianism confidently went forward.

"There are no innocent. There are only varying degrees of responsibility."

Meanwhile Jews were murdered in the gas chambers, from the East echelons of slaves arrived in Germany, while remaining were treated almost as mercilessly as by the Soviets. And all this is either with the active support of, or with the acquiescence of, or even indifference of the German people - finally "raised from their knees." "There are no innocent" - everyone took part in building of the Third Reich - someone shot, and someone produced shells. Difference only in the degree of responsibility. They're not going to give up - "carriers of unique gene" are invincible in battle, they have a "wonder weapon" and a great leader.

"Each person can err, but to persist in error is peculiar only to fool."

Germans did not give up - they lived in a fictional reality of Goebbels's propaganda by which they were not deceived, but which gave them a great opportunity to deceive themselves and to ignore reality. Lie was their truth. But reality, even if it does not noticed, does not cease to be reality - "brilliant" leader who's "effective" government wasn't restrained by the "democratic criticism", quickly braked his country's neck, exactly because of the lack of democratic criticism, which may have returned him to reality. He also lived in illusions.

"And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins, As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn, The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!"

So, the reality that the Germans were so hardly trying to keep out of their doors, hiding behind the veil of propaganda lies, furiously smashed the doors of German homes, destroyed walls, killed old people and children, raped women, murdered men - actively supporting, tacitly endorsing or simply indifferent. It turned out that there is truth, despite all lie's efforts to hide it. And if you do not give up in your misconceptions, if you persist in lies - the truth will burst violently, relentlessly, destroying all in its path - there will be no innocent!

This applies to the past and to the present. "Fury" is a reminder to all about the price of "mistake" and persistence in delusions. Everyone will pay for the "mistake" - active and silent and indifferent - and payment after collision with reality will be cruel. Yet another "imperial nation", disillusioned in liberal democracy now tries to hide from reality under the curtain of lies. Russians believe that they have been never defeated by the West on a battlefield, and Soviet Union would have been victorious if not for the West conspiracy. They believe that Russians are bearers of the unique "genes" and are only beacon of civilization in the declining world. They despise Western leaders, considering them weak. Russians adore their charismatic leader - Putin. They are happy with the annexation of the Crimean peninsula, murder of thousands of Ukrainians and destruction of Donbas, boasting to turn USA into radioactive dust. They are leaving in illusions, considering themselves innocent. Yet their collision with reality is inevitable.

"As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man — There are only four things certain since Social Progress began: — That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire, And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;"
Tessara_VejganJan 15, 2015
Well, I am pleasantly surprised. One of the better movies released last year. Its a war drama about soldiers trying to do their mission while dealing with horrors of war.
TheApplegnomeJan 3, 2015
War is something no one wants to expedience. That’s the major message of Fury.

War is something no one wants to expedience. That’s the major message of Fury.

Four men and a tank, that’s Fury. We follow them during WWII, and it’s truly a moving movie. Norman is one of the main characters, and it’s so clear how the war changes him. That’s a deep aspect of Fury, and one of the most important. Logan Lerman is not a flawless actor, but he totally fits the role as Norman. Brad Pitt is on the other hand bad-ass. The greatest part of Fury is the action sequences, truly awesome. They might be too bloody and extreme but I really enjoy them. There’s no thoughtfulness is war, that’s one thing worth to remember while watching this movie, and the bloody scenes are part of the war. Without any extreme events wouldn’t this movie be so dramatic and realistic as it is. That’s why Fury is a great movie. The realistic action sequences are awesome, so much practical effects. It looks stunning. There are though some vague CGI at some places, which doesn’t look real. The best part of this movie is the first and the third act. The second however is boring and slow.

Fury is a good war movie. The third act is action-packed and the soundtrack gives the movie feeling and touch. But it’s less impressive than what I expected, I want more action and less talking.

Fury gets a 7/10.
DuckNationDec 15, 2014
Fury is a gritty war movie that delivers on what i expected from it and while there are a few things i did have a problem with they weren't big enough to distract me from really liking the film. The film follows a veteran tank crew during theFury is a gritty war movie that delivers on what i expected from it and while there are a few things i did have a problem with they weren't big enough to distract me from really liking the film. The film follows a veteran tank crew during the end of WWII in Nazi Germany and that gains a new recruit after one of its members dies during combat. The cast does a great job and while i did hate that they were all pretty much complete **** yes even Brad Pitt although he was still a likable **** still though that's what you would have to expect in war because war is brutal. The action scenes were absolutely amazing because of how gory it was like right from the beginning we see a Nazi riding on a horse by the tank and from behind the entrance we see Brad Pitt come out from and tackle the Nazi off his horse and stab him in the face a couple times from that part i knew i was going to like the movie. The whole scene with Brad Pitt and Logan Lerman characters and the two girls was pretty boring and pointless but i see why they decided to add it still though it did drag on for a bit too long. The ending battle was truly epic and it showed a lot of my favorite aspect of the film which was the tracer rounds seeing all the red and green bullets racing across the screen was seriously awesome it may be random but that's what i liked the most.

Overall i give it a 8.0
ROK1992Jan 27, 2015
A No-BullSh** type movie period.

It does not attempt to ease the viewers at any moment. The movie masterfully depicts the grotesque and depressing atmosphere of war and those who are caught up in it while also including many deep
A No-BullSh** type movie period.

It does not attempt to ease the viewers at any moment.
The movie masterfully depicts the grotesque and depressing atmosphere of war and those who are caught up in it while also including many deep intellectual dialogues that we do not really expect out of a WW2 movie.
In my opinion, the whole movie was as shocking and powerful like the Normandy landing scene of "Saving Private Ryan".
thunderball001Aug 27, 2015
'A Pure War Movie' that does not only give a raw depiction from the horrors of war, but offers a whole new perspective of fighting, breathing and clinging onto life within the confinements of a tank. The men its holds are faced with daunting'A Pure War Movie' that does not only give a raw depiction from the horrors of war, but offers a whole new perspective of fighting, breathing and clinging onto life within the confinements of a tank. The men its holds are faced with daunting challenges and deep morals that truly sparks a whole new meaning to war that has never been seen before in films. The acting is stunning, the action is pure and yet maybe over the top but let me ask you this. Have you been in war? Have you faced war in the face? Have you lived war? If the answer is 'No', then this film will be as close to any other war film that will you put into the cockpit of hardship, loss and regret. It is so much more than a war film. Expand
FlyingFishNov 25, 2014
Awesome gore and firefight scenes, interesting characters, and a lot of Nazis die in this movie. I spent a good 15 minutes trying to think of something bad about it, came up with nothing. 10/10
MeritCobaSep 9, 2015
Whenever a Tiger I tank and SS troops appear together in a movie you can bet the federal gold reserve on it that this movie is not about historical accuracy. This doesn't mean that Fury has no a sense of historicity, but world war II moviesWhenever a Tiger I tank and SS troops appear together in a movie you can bet the federal gold reserve on it that this movie is not about historical accuracy. This doesn't mean that Fury has no a sense of historicity, but world war II movies are actually never about world war II but about the spirit of the time they are made in. If you don't believe me, just (re)watch Kelly's Heroes and compare it to Saving Private Ryan.

The spirit of Fury isn't a pretty one if we are to take our queues from the crew that operates her. During most of the movie they never display any redeeming quality that would endear them to us, they are a truly sad crew. We have reached the bottom of the well as far as humanity goes. Even Apocalypse Now isn't as gloomy as this one. These are dark times were the best are the worst or the other way around. Well, not as bad as the enemy perhaps, who even hang their fellow country women for refusing to resist the invaders in a time that resistance is futile, but as bad as can be and only marginally so.

The key scene is one where Brad Pitt together with Rookie invade a house where two German women hide out. it is one long protracted threat scene that screams rape with every frame. If you have seen Der Untergang, or have read the Last Battle by Cornelius Ryan, you will be aware of how these women would have felt. It isn't a pretty sight to behold.

Fury has a scary anchor point, which is that it doesn't matter what you do as long as you do it, because you have been told to do it and nothing else matters. It reminds me of a phrase of the game Mafia II: in the war the president pointed the finger at whom to kill, now it is the hand that pays me. This movie is thus about moral bankruptcy.
In a human society there is no place for any of the crewman of Fury with an exception perhaps for the rookie who is the least tainted. Society can not work with the scumbags that war has created, and who have traded in their morals and compassion for the command: go forward and kill regardless.

They are the walking dead.

It just needs a bullet to remind them that they are.
Meth-dudeJul 18, 2015
Thanks to the non-stop action,the believable acting,the great action sequences and the really good visuals, Fury is never boring.Even if there is some minor plot holes, this is still a pretty solid movie.
vikesh2206Mar 7, 2015
Well acted, raw and visceral, the grim toned Fury is as hard hitting as its title suggests, portraying a gruesome look at both camaraderie and battles during WW2.
MarickMar 11, 2015
War, war is a great movie story for a movie, for me. I think is one of the best movies. Story is a psyhological experience of warfare.. So, for me, it's a good movie.
seventhsealDec 4, 2014
Not quite sure why there are haters of this title. I found this utterly compelling entertainment given the confinement of the tank! The film depicted the utter waste and disregard of human life in war whilst simultaneously highlighting thatNot quite sure why there are haters of this title. I found this utterly compelling entertainment given the confinement of the tank! The film depicted the utter waste and disregard of human life in war whilst simultaneously highlighting that even in the face of absolutely adversity that friendship and camaraderie can achieve outstanding results.

The cinematography at ties was simply wonderful without being over the top.

The plot/story development at times was a little lacking but over all I think this was a wonderful experience and one which will remain in my mind for a while.

Hopefully Brad Pitt finally gets his Oscar and based on yet another spectacular performance it is well overdue that Mr Pitt is awarded the recognition I feel he deserves for his last 25 years of services to entertainment,

Overall I think this movie justifies my 9 outta 10 rating.

ENJOY THE BOOM!!!!
reroninMay 5, 2015
Cool movie it has couple of good scenes . But then you look at the Natzi Solidares and they all are Dumb .. And that really switched this movie from . Epic war movie to dumb down war movie.

This movie could be Das Boot with Tanks if they

This movie could be Das Boot with Tanks if they fixed some things . Mainly im talking about the fight scenes with the enemy . In this movie Germans in one scene have RPG's but they never use them against a tank. After the tank stops shooting to change the ammo .. Natzi still shot but still don't use the rpg's. Only later you see the RPG's being upacked . But you see in previous scene many soliders hold them on their back.

Basicly this movie has too much the standard Round around do nothing can't aim enemy cliche overuse. And that is because the fight scenes are poorly writen.
FizzfyrJan 13, 2015
I was looking forward to the movie, and I had so many expections and all of them were in it. Shia and Brad acted so good. While I saw it I was so catched by it. Gotta say it's my favorite movie so far.
BenHazeldenJan 23, 2015
Now, first things first, the final fight scene does get a little naff - the SS troops gets attacked by Hollywood and forget how to fight. However, I am an extreme tank buff, therefore this gets an eight because of the incredible tank momentsNow, first things first, the final fight scene does get a little naff - the SS troops gets attacked by Hollywood and forget how to fight. However, I am an extreme tank buff, therefore this gets an eight because of the incredible tank moments this film includes - and the terror that they spread. A cold hearted war film, 'Fury' is good, just forget about the SS rabble and the terrible love interest.
8/10 - Ben Hazelden
ApolscFeb 14, 2015
The problem that critics have with this movie is that refuses to show the american army as a bunch of noble heroes but people corrupted by war as any of other nation. If that is what you want to see you might preffer Eastwood's AmericanThe problem that critics have with this movie is that refuses to show the american army as a bunch of noble heroes but people corrupted by war as any of other nation. If that is what you want to see you might preffer Eastwood's American Sniper which is straight propaganda. Beautiful photography, the mechanical function of the tanks is hypnotizing, there are various great scenes, not only the ones of combat, and a lot of transgression and philosophy. The down part is the soundtrack that sounds as a cheap Clint Mansell composition.

El problema que tienen los críticos con esta pelicula es que se rehusa a mostrar a los estadounidenses como heroes de guerra, sino que los muestra como seres corruptos por esta como los de cualquier otra nacionalidad, si eso es lo que te gusta ver preferirás American Sniper que es pura propaganda fanática. La fotografía es hermosa, el enfoque en el funcionamiento de los tanques hipnotiza, hay escenas geniales y no solo son las del combate, hay mucha transgresión y filosofía. Lo malo diría que es la banda sonora, suena como una versión barata de Clint Mansell.
REDWOUNov 22, 2014
Fury was actually WAY better than I thought it would have been. Brad Pitt is not as good as he was in Inglourious Basterds, but he still reprises an above average role as a sergeant in WWII.
walshrdDec 2, 2014
Fury is an outstanding movie about the horrors of war and the psychological destruction all-out war brings down on the combatants and civilians that always get caught in the way. There is no other movie that has ever expressed this betterFury is an outstanding movie about the horrors of war and the psychological destruction all-out war brings down on the combatants and civilians that always get caught in the way. There is no other movie that has ever expressed this better and more forcibly. The entire movie is intense in every respect. The battle scenes are as intense, realistic and unnerving as the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan (the storming of the beach at Normandy on D-day). The in-your-face intensity never lets up thruout the 2+ hr running time. At movie's end, all viewers will have a much greater understanding as to why soldiers involved in combat will be scarred or adversely affected for the rest of their lives. The tank crew portrayed in the movie had been pounded literally for more than a yr and had fought in most of the major battles as the allies moved across Europe towards Germany after the landing at Normandy. It's a movie all should see, but some will feel that it is too intense to remain seated thruout. I wouldnt describe this movie as entertaining...it isnt. What it will do is stir you up about the true horrors of war and the monstrous physical and psychological devastation it wreaks. Expand
UmutesmerDec 7, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gerçekten başarılı bir film olmuş. Aradaki hoş sahneler, sizi savaşın içindeymiş gibi hissettiriyor. Önce sertliği öğrenip sonra yumuşacık kalbini görüyorsunuz baş karakterin. Sonu daha güzel olabilirdi ama, mutlu bir son ile bitmedi diyelim.
Language - Turkish
liamfontanaJan 14, 2015
"ideals are peaceful, history is violent " this move is much more better than I expected, it is describes as a tank's story but is shows perfectly the atrocity of war, the pride of soldiers and their thoughts. the cast is awsome, Pitt acts in"ideals are peaceful, history is violent " this move is much more better than I expected, it is describes as a tank's story but is shows perfectly the atrocity of war, the pride of soldiers and their thoughts. the cast is awsome, Pitt acts in my opinion one of his best performance as the lieutenant , Lermann is the new one, Labeouf, Pena and Berthal are the expert soldiers everyone with a different personality. The two women's house scene is very emotional and the last battle is very very involving. the end scene, when the nazi look under the tank, seeing Lermann is according to me the best scene of the film.

to see
WheelzFourReelzDec 28, 2014
Even though the characters weren't very sympathetic and the pacing was very uneven, Fury is still a very well directed and emotional film that's definitely worth watching.
shivam1990Jan 14, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well there is a quote from a not so famous hindi movie ”The Dirty Picture” which says
“Filmein sirf teen cheezo ke wajah se chalti hai ... entertainment, entertainment, entertainment” (Films do well only because of 3 reasons ... entertainment, entertainment, entertainment).
Well that’s what fury is about. It’s about entertainment. Many of you would think that it’s an illogical movie without any head or toe, but what it does is entertains. According to me movies are just meant to sit back and enjoy. If you think too much, you are not enjoying. Fury has got emotion, drama, fun, action i.e. a perfect recipe for an entertaining movie.

Every character has done well. Brad Pitt (Wardaddy) looks good as the commander who has promised his men that he is going to keep them alive. The way he tries to teach the new guy (Logan Lerman) to kill is interesting. You see the sophisticated side of him when he is with the ladies. Shia could have had more screen time. But he plays his part well as the Bible. The transformation of the new guy (Logan Lerman) from beginning to the end is good to watch.

The final battle or you can say the boss battle has its own moment of oomph. The moment where they prepare for the final battle and the SS are approaching will bring you to the edge of your seat. So the movie is good with can do better story, good characters and yes it entertains. Although the movie is lengths away from reality, but it is what people like to watch on screen.
ajarias96Jan 8, 2015
Fury is a movie that is not for the light hearted. The cast and director David Ayer give us something that can not be easily forgotten. The realism of Fury is something that can't be understated. The viewer feels they are right there alongFury is a movie that is not for the light hearted. The cast and director David Ayer give us something that can not be easily forgotten. The realism of Fury is something that can't be understated. The viewer feels they are right there along for the ride as the heart aches of being in a World War are felt. Fury is dark and honest. It doesn't sugar coat War by any means and is something that once again can not be easily forgotten. Expand
DokaluJan 23, 2015
David Aye's new movie is a great look of World War II, and not only that war, but all kind of war. It's great how it's presented, it's very realistic and you can really feel how horrible and violent it can sometimes get. The actorsDavid Aye's new movie is a great look of World War II, and not only that war, but all kind of war. It's great how it's presented, it's very realistic and you can really feel how horrible and violent it can sometimes get. The actors performances are just astonishing, especially from the two main characters (Brad Pitt and Logan Lerman).
The most important thing in this movie is relationships, what kind of relationships can a crew build in a war; and also, what can war turn you into, how war will make you become someone you are not, you want it or not. The action sequences are great, very realistic, not fake at all, and the directing and script, awesome. Sometimes you are going really to feel like if you really are in WWII. The only flaw in this movie is that you are not going to feel really attached to the characters, but everything else is really great, so go check it out.
MelanieFerraroJan 20, 2015
I loved this film, the times handled were inadequate, i liked the incarnation of Brad Pitt as the main character, but don't give you a 10 of the final score because I thought it was very open, i would have liked something a bit clear, butI loved this film, the times handled were inadequate, i liked the incarnation of Brad Pitt as the main character, but don't give you a 10 of the final score because I thought it was very open, i would have liked something a bit clear, but without that deprives the viewer, to conclude the end of the film Expand
homer4presidentMar 11, 2015
I'm not sure what to say when it comes to David Ayer's latest film "Fury". It's a movie that rides fine line between mediocre and good. There were moments when I realized how great this film could have been, but those split-seconds wereI'm not sure what to say when it comes to David Ayer's latest film "Fury". It's a movie that rides fine line between mediocre and good. There were moments when I realized how great this film could have been, but those split-seconds were sparse. It's not as it it's particularly unpleasant, it's just not anything new, and none of the characters stuck out to me.

The plot is pretty commonplace, set in the heart of World War II. We follow Brad Pitt's character, a battered sergeant nick-named 'Wardaddy' who has his hands full commanding his five-men crew in their cramped tank. Dealing with the harsh realities of war and a new man abroad, a young soldier who hasn't been properly trained, they're forced to fight outnumbered and outgunned.

The movie is exactly what you might expect and that's probably why I didn't enjoy it. I was able to predict every move, all the down to each character's arc, and it wasn't an original experience in any way. It felt as it they went down the list of every great war film collecting each trope they could and threw them in as needed.

The most redeeming factor is the cinematography but the other aspects can't match it's greatness. The acting is fine, with Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf bringing the most to the table. If you're a fan of the genre, you'll probably like this, but I'd recommend skipping it and revisiting classics like "The Bridge on the River Kwai" or "Patton".
SwegJuceJun 1, 2015
Fury was intense, gritty, realistic, and dark. An experience that any war movie should aim to deliver. A must watch, especially with some good theatre speakers.

The acting was nothing exceptional, but the visuals and sound... damn, the

The acting was nothing exceptional, but the visuals and sound... damn, the SOUND!
Watching this in a theatre was like no other experience. The sound of bullets whizzing past, a shell ricocheting off the armour - I've never heard these seemingly generic war movie sounds, done so masterfully. The thumps of mortar shells exploding next to the tank, travels through your chest and makes you feel like you're actually in the tank.

Some intense scenes with great realistic visuals left me tearing my seat's armrests out. Not only that, but they also used REAL Tiger and Sherman tanks!

Gory. Not just artistical gore like in 300, but some creatively done realistic gore. Makes you realise that war is nothing glorious or romantic.

Verdict: Loved it!
Epik_NinnjaMay 23, 2015
This movie is centered around a crew fighting in a tank in World War II. It takes pieces form various veteren's stories of the war and makes it into one brutal war movie about loss and about dealing with what soldiers have to do in war. TheThis movie is centered around a crew fighting in a tank in World War II. It takes pieces form various veteren's stories of the war and makes it into one brutal war movie about loss and about dealing with what soldiers have to do in war. The main character is a boy (well, a very young man) who got transfered from typing about the war to fighting in a tank. The emotions he goes through are displayed well by the superb acting (everyone's acting is well done). I'd recommend this movie to any fans of World War II movies. Expand
CineAutoctonoDec 5, 2015
Fury a historical war film about the Second World War , which turned good , especially when they tried to survive the war and only one did, not done me nothing but good plot and good action scenes , a movie a bit rude but decent in the past
jinannn31Dec 16, 2015
Really enjoyed this movie. First big movie in awhile that doesn't glorify war and conveys a feeling of true horror and fear that is war.

Watch online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-2754792-Fury-online-free
EpicLadySpongeFeb 25, 2016
Fury has fury.... until some point of errors come in the way. Brad Pitt is perfectly fine for his part of the role and usually it would've, could've, and should've been better.
TheArchetypesSep 9, 2016
Its actually not a bad film, but the ending ruins it. A trackless tank vs a whole SS squadron with anti tank weapons and the sort. It was a bit like watching an episode of He-man. One to avoid for the purists. But if you watch the first halfIts actually not a bad film, but the ending ruins it. A trackless tank vs a whole SS squadron with anti tank weapons and the sort. It was a bit like watching an episode of He-man. One to avoid for the purists. But if you watch the first half it isn't too bad. Expand
mrdollarOct 16, 2016
Very very unrealistic scenario at the end ruin whole movie. Rambo seems way more realistic than this. You can't show enemy that stupid, one disabled tank can't take whole battalion. This tank would be destroyed in few first minutes of theVery very unrealistic scenario at the end ruin whole movie. Rambo seems way more realistic than this. You can't show enemy that stupid, one disabled tank can't take whole battalion. This tank would be destroyed in few first minutes of the "battle".

So many fake positive votes can't believe it.
MurrayTOct 18, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the movie, but a lot of it isn't logical. For example:
* A soldier is unlikely to commit murder (shooting German prisoner in the back) with so many witnesses
* The German girl isn't likely to go to bed so easily and so soon with the hated enemy
* The other soldiers who enter the German home are implying they would like to rape the girls. They just had sex a few minutes earlier with a hooker in the tank.
* It's unlikely the Germans would mine the road around a field hospital, which is typically in a safe area and typically would only be used by their own vehicles.
* Can't for the life of me figure out why the German soldier smiled at the American soldier hiding under the tank and didn't turn him in.
rybacksnFeb 15, 2015
One of the most unrealistic concluding war scenes I have seen. Makes Rambo look realistic. A single Sherman would have been destroyed in a few minutes in that scenario. The Germans did not take over all of Europe and parts of Africa andOne of the most unrealistic concluding war scenes I have seen. Makes Rambo look realistic. A single Sherman would have been destroyed in a few minutes in that scenario. The Germans did not take over all of Europe and parts of Africa and invade Russia being that stupid. Expand
unclemusclzhourOct 21, 2014
A great World War 2 movie. It is a world war 2 movie, that achieves great heights without being overly patriotic. It examines how horrid war really is, and how it affects the human mind. There were many remarkable performances as well.
diogomendesOct 31, 2014
*Officially better than Monuments Men*

*Officially better than Monuments Men*

Okay, I’ll admit. 2014 has been a pretty good year for movies. With all the sh*tty, boring or just plain stupid films like “Transformers: Age of Extinction”, I also got to see thrilling, intelligent movies. And "Fury” is one of them, fortunately. Of course, this was unexpected, as director David Ayer made some pretty bad movies such as “Sabotage” and “S.W.A.T”, and the trailers seemed kind of drawn-out. Directors and screenwriters have their ups and downs, and this is up. “Fury” is a visceral experience of warfare, a strong movie filled with cool performances and violent, hyperkinetic firefight sequences. And even if the movie didn’t reach its full potential, I can say that I got my money worth.

April, 1945. As the Allies make their final push in the European Theatre, a battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy commands a Sherman tank and his five-man crew on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Out-numbered, out-gunned, and with a rookie soldier thrust into their platoon, Wardaddy and his men face overwhelming odds in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

There’s nothing much I can say about this film. Its story is pretty damn interesting. Some scenes were more entertaining than the others, but they were still good. The battle scenes were fully intense and the sound effects that were surrounded by me did help to enjoy the scenes even more. I personally love the violence used in this movie. Seeing Nazis heads getting cut off or Germans get hit by tanks is something I really loved to see.

Final Score to Fury: 8/10. I don’t have much to say other that this movie is entertaining. It’s what “Monuments Men” should have been. It doesn’t quite live up to its ambitious title, but it’s filled with outstanding performances and heart-pounding battle sequences. Go check it out.
NotoriousFraudOct 20, 2014
Not since "Saving Private Ryan" has a war movie engaged me this much, David Ayer does a great job directing a war film that we haven't really seen before. When was the last time you saw a movie from the tank crew's point of view ? Fury is aNot since "Saving Private Ryan" has a war movie engaged me this much, David Ayer does a great job directing a war film that we haven't really seen before. When was the last time you saw a movie from the tank crew's point of view ? Fury is a dark and gritty film that shows the horrors of war in the most truthful way. All the performances were great and the action is tense and well shot. On a side note, that is a real tank they are in throughout the movie. Expand
medievaliOct 26, 2014
It has been a long time since a piece of media has made my heart pump this hard. The movie is just completely gut wrenching, and although the ending is a little cliché, the movie overall had me through a very emotional roller coaster. At oneIt has been a long time since a piece of media has made my heart pump this hard. The movie is just completely gut wrenching, and although the ending is a little cliché, the movie overall had me through a very emotional roller coaster. At one moment I was curious, then I was nervous, then I was laughing with the crew, then I was nervous again and again. I don't feel like this movie is really all that great, but it sure as hell got my blood pumping and not a lot of movie tend to be able to do that. Expand
windowwiper96Oct 20, 2014
Fury adeptly balances entertainment and accuracy with regards to human physical and mental state during war. Ayer's use of Lerman's character as a bridge between the audience and the terrors of war is genius. Lerman's performance truly bringsFury adeptly balances entertainment and accuracy with regards to human physical and mental state during war. Ayer's use of Lerman's character as a bridge between the audience and the terrors of war is genius. Lerman's performance truly brings you into the tank. Expand
teedubbuOct 29, 2014
Brad Pitt does it once again. This movie was a great depiction that captures the emotions of our soldiers that has been in war. Superb acting. I would definitely watch this again A+
chrisbean213811Oct 27, 2014
Many will not like this movie and there will be a lot of controversy about it but I personally loved it as probably the best war I have seen in years.
Wheelhorse01Oct 29, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fury was a very well told WWII story that depicted the darkness and desperation of some of our greatest generation. Some reviewers were offended by the movie. They would have you believe that in between trying to kill each other, everyone was having tea and reciting bible verses. While not all men and units sank into the desperate measures shown in this movie, many did. My grandfather told me many horrifying stories of his time in Germany. They were brutal on both sides. The psychological examination of this tank unit is fascinating. The bonds they formed, and the anger and resentment they held for each other at the same time. No one else on earth knew what they had done, been through, experienced, except for them. They were more than family. Expand
TheFilmFanaticNov 2, 2014
Fury is a claustrophobic war film focused on the psychological experiences and realities of war. A gritty, realistic representation of tank warfare, Fury delivers a strong story with phenomenal visuals and great action sequences. Although theFury is a claustrophobic war film focused on the psychological experiences and realities of war. A gritty, realistic representation of tank warfare, Fury delivers a strong story with phenomenal visuals and great action sequences. Although the characters lack real depth some of the actors deliver fantastic performances, notably Brad Pitt, Logan Lerman and Shia LaBeouf, who gave an oscar-nomination worthy performance. Expand
KermitLaphroaigOct 17, 2014
Finally, the tank gets its own movie. Long the unheralded workhorse of war, the tank has been largely neglected by Hollywood, probably due to the technical complexity and expense of trying to depict tank warfare. "Fury" attempts to make upFinally, the tank gets its own movie. Long the unheralded workhorse of war, the tank has been largely neglected by Hollywood, probably due to the technical complexity and expense of trying to depict tank warfare. "Fury" attempts to make up for this in spades by reproducing in elaborate detail the everyday grunge, grease and gears of tank warfare in World War II.

The look and feel of "Fury" is reminiscent of "Saving Private Ryan", but is even more accurate and real-to-life. The dirt, the ill-fitting uniforms, the rust, the scars of life are all lovingly recreated. Especially notable are the costumes, which depict civilian and military dress at the time far more accurately than any movie ever made previously. The wardrobe department must have worked from thousands of contemporary photographs and had an army of seamstresses and designers slaving away to faithfully conjure up every emblem and button and ribbon. The scenes depicting German POWs in a holding camp and a marching column of panzer grenadiers are absolute masterpieces of technical accuracy and wardrobe fidelity. The only limitation on this display of virtuosity is the sheer panoply of styles--sometimes they show so many different uniforms and costumes within a single unit that is unrealistic because a real unit would not have so great a range of dress.

The hardware in the movie is equally realistic. Real tanks have been fully reconstructed to show exactly how they were during the war, paint chips, donkey baskets, dents and all. Pistols, ammo, machine guns and other accessories all are correct down to the click of the slide and cock of the hammer. Even civilian goods are rescued from ye olde antique shop: bottles of wine, wash basins, armoires, rugs, tea kettles, china--all straight out of pre-war Germany.

The real shining star of the movie is the battle scenes, though. These artillery explosions, armor piercing rounds and .50-caliber fire are not your father's SFX squibs and witches brew burnoffs; they are hyper realistic recreations of the actual sights and sounds of real warfare. The whine of high-velocity fire really sets your hairs on end. The only flaw is that the action is compressed, the combatants being too close to each other, but this is obviously necessary so that everything is visible. The producers went to great lengths to show actual combat tactics, so you see infantry support, dug in AT, bore-sighted ambushes, panzer faust and all kinds of other realistic tactics from actual warfare.

The weakness of the movie is its script, which is full of anachronistic modern language and implausible situations with people talking and acting like 1990 east LA toughs instead of real 1940s soldiers. The final battle scene is also completely absurd, with dozens of elite Nazis throwing themselves in front a helpless tanks gun's. It's like those old cowboy and Indian movies in which the Indians deliberately ride in front of cavalry soldiers so they can get shot down. There is also a weird romance/rape scene that tries to split the difference between gang rape, wartime prostitution and cross-cultural dating and ends up in a very awkward place.

All-in-all, if you are war buff or gear head you will love this movie, but don't expect too much from the dramatic side of it.
WWladCZDec 3, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is just another movie that goes with the formula "Our boys on the ground got their asses kicked! Time to paint a picture how superior our tanks and people were and how evil twisted (and in the retarded last scene) stupid all German soldiers were!" Spoilers below!
Oh boy where do we even start characters are very well done Brad Pit does nice job with his rough and well done acting as a tank commander (rugged veteran) rest of the crew is also solid. Story of a boy that becomes a soldier from total rookie seems a little too forced if you ask me because in one day he transforms into veteran-like crewman it is just too fast he has no trouble operating in the tank even tho story states he was not even in tank school. When we ignore few wierd ocasions where direct hit from 75mm PAK (I'm talking about the direct ones not the obvious ricoshets) does no damage to the Shermans the movie gives you nice idea what Shermans were made for supporting infantry and taking our defensive emplacements, also the tension would be pretty good if there would be any connection to other crews which die as the story goes on. Hard to watch is also the scene where Pit orders a Rookie to shoot German soldier which surrendered and begs for letting him (he tells them he has a family and shows him a picture) live but at least it shows that American army were pigs too WHICH IS AMAZING finally somebody had balls to show it so kudos for that! Then we have the crew and city scene where rookie and Brad Pit invade home of two women where they show the difference between rest of the crew and them. Rookie plays piano Pit shares some cigars and eggs which are cooked for them since they act like normal people and not like animals. After the rest of the crew mainly Shane from walking dead (sorry I remember him as that) comes and acts like morons and even tho rookie stands up to them Pit just sits there not teaching them morals at all for me this scene shows great movie making because you see his dilema on his side Do the right thing? or Keep your friendship with crew? he chooses the 2nd one which is understandable but still he is not happy.
The tank battle with Tiger is decent scene (if you turn you brain on it is flawed but keeps nice feeling of tension) of course you get the stupid non penetrating hits from 10 meters because logs aperantly stop 88mm AP shots but it was fun. To the last scene which destroyed the film that was so great until now. The crossroad scene shows how some **** can ruin great writing and acting with just one scene sacrificing everything good just to make a "Heroic" (also known as painfully retarded) scene. German soldiers would never act like this hell anybody with a brain wouldn't act like this counting ridicilous tactics of the tanks crew that by some magic work amazingly good, hilarious inaccruracy/loses of the Germans, and overdone to the max aspect for heroic death of crew was just funny to me. Also there were some about 1minute pauses in the scene don't you think they would be flanked by that time? this scene has just flaws all over the place. First even if you fire at the best possible moment when the soldies scatter you won't get so many of them and no F8cking way they will keep up frontal attack (every soldier back then knew that front of the tank is the most dangerous place) they would be flanked and destroyed in about 2 minutes with the Germans sustaining only small loses. Second tank gets flanked so crew pops out and guns everybody down I was near walking out of the cinema! If you pop up like this you get killed in a second before you get your hands out of hatch and line up you would be dead, also why the German soldiers can't do the same shooting like tank crew when they have much more experience with? Third two panzerfausts from point blank do not penetrate and required to be point blank! Those things had range... Only the last one does penetrate and even then deals no damage to the tank only kills one crewman which is impossible shrapnell and munition explosion would wipe the crew. Fourth 3-4 shots to the chest from sniper seem like bb gun and Pit just slides down to the tank continues talking for 2 minutes.
Last scene of the film and even tho we see that **** talk about "SS ALL BAD U KILL THEM ALL HURRR DURRR!" is not true because German soldier with SS markings sees him but doesn't raise alarm.
I feel that crossroad scene needs to be deleted or edited it is way too stupid for audience with brains and way too overdone to be believable by the rest. If the last scene wouldn't be there it would be 8/10 this way it has to be 3/10 sorry to those who done a good film until that point I feel if we ignore this heroic nonsense we won't get good war movies. Thanks everyone for reading this Vladimir Vojta Cech Republic
VandykeNov 1, 2014
Formulaic and nothing new, not to mention unrealistic. The swaggering band of diverse brothers do it again: single handily taking on Nazi German to save the day in swashbuckling style. And their charms are so strong, that even rape victimsFormulaic and nothing new, not to mention unrealistic. The swaggering band of diverse brothers do it again: single handily taking on Nazi German to save the day in swashbuckling style. And their charms are so strong, that even rape victims end up falling for them. Brad Pitt's hair remains amazingly slicked back throughout the movie: I want his hair gel. Expand
d3sm0ndNov 28, 2014
Completely ridiculous and unbelievable, couldn't me more cliche. Not worth watching, Some decent war scenes ruined by a dumb and biased story. Brad Pitt is horrible in the lead role.
benuttyOct 21, 2014
I'm not sure I'll see a film this year that I'm more disappointed in than this one. Good acting kept from being great because of an unfortunate script and genuinely bad editing. Also, is there anything worse than title and end creditI'm not sure I'll see a film this year that I'm more disappointed in than this one. Good acting kept from being great because of an unfortunate script and genuinely bad editing. Also, is there anything worse than title and end credit sequences that don't match the film--neither aesthetically or tonally? Expand
ScottGentileOct 27, 2014
This movie doesn't just fail on authenticity, but it fails on common sense. What a waste as it clearly aims and succeeds on some levels creating the gritty realism of war, but when will some film makers figure out that you need to have RamboThis movie doesn't just fail on authenticity, but it fails on common sense. What a waste as it clearly aims and succeeds on some levels creating the gritty realism of war, but when will some film makers figure out that you need to have Rambo style combat to entertain the masses. You can have both.

Another aspect that can be a bit painful to watch was perhaps explained when I saw in the credits "Executive Producer: Brad Pitt." I have enjoyed some of Brad Pitt's acting over the years (Moneyball), but this explains a lot as his character was just a bit too perfect and one dimensional. My reaction to this movie was very similar to that of Word War Z – yawn...

Fury will not stand the test of time and it will be just another forgotten war movie.
koko000Dec 1, 2014
Terrible.
I had the Team America song " America... f*!? yeah!" in my head throughout the whole movie.
Terrible.
It seemed as if the US marines has paid for this war glorifying murder of history, with a sprinkle of holy war bible references thrown in for good measure. A ridiculous one sided portrayal of WW2 events. Avoid
deadsparrowDec 9, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The critics' reviews of Fury, at least the ones I read, led me to expect a realistic depiction of tank warfare in WW2, an exciting story line and some reasonable acting. The acting was OK and the characters generally seemed to be trying hard despite the formulaic roles: tough but caring Sarge (Pitt), mandatory minority (Pena, a Mexican-American since the army was segregated at the time), bible-thumping Southerner (LaBeouf), sensitive-rookie-who-becomes-a-man-after-the-ordeal- of-combat( (Lerman) and the psychotic cop from Walking Dead (Bernthal). There is plenty of activity but it is comic book, juvenile stuff and the writer of this epic was obviously never in the army and never saw action. Nor has he bothered to read any realistic accounts of people who have been there. Had he done so he would have known that no tank regiment drives in to a town for a showdown through groups of wandering civilians who don't seem to be aware there's a war on. He would have known that preparing to ambush a relieving German column, some of whose members are clearly shown shouldering panzerfausts (aka bazookas or RPGs), with a single immobile tank would have been short and pointless. When the showdown comes, moreover, the Germans apparently forget they have anti-tank weapons and run around the tank like Red Indians around a covered wagon, which allows many of them to be gunned down like ...Red Indians. As In Saving Private Ryan, the hero dies a soldier's death or at least the sort of death Ayers imagines heroic soldiers die. That is, after the Germans finally get around to lobbing a couple of grenades in the tank Pitt's corpse is not painted to the interior as would happen with an explosion in a confined spaces. His body reclines heroically in its final pose, all limbs attached, where it is found by the rookie after he crawls back in to the tank after his life has been inexplicably spared by an SS trooper who discovers him hiding underneath it. A good movie for 12 year old boys but not for adults.. Expand
danigras1978Jan 3, 2015
Seriously... This movie lacks realism. Good Poduction Design, but every single time a battle started bulets were portrayed as green or red laser beams. It looked more like a start trek movie than WWII. Acting was alright, but a final sceneSeriously... This movie lacks realism. Good Poduction Design, but every single time a battle started bulets were portrayed as green or red laser beams. It looked more like a start trek movie than WWII. Acting was alright, but a final scene with a foolish group of five having an encounter with 300 hundred Germans and acting like this is something that happens everyday in the war, was too much. It was a good action fiction movie, but definetively not a movie that shows you the accurate facts of a war. Expand
TVJerryOct 23, 2014
Brad Pitt leads a tough tank team on missions thru WWII Germany. The inevitable fresh-faced recruit adds to the clichés. The first third of this film is mostly brutal, grimy war. The respite in the middle involves two German women. The finalBrad Pitt leads a tough tank team on missions thru WWII Germany. The inevitable fresh-faced recruit adds to the clichés. The first third of this film is mostly brutal, grimy war. The respite in the middle involves two German women. The final encounter manages to boost the action quotient. It's painted with some arresting visual imagery and drenched in blood, mud, and macho drama. It's war, so things are tough, but the relentless unpleasantness of the one-dimensional characters doesn't make it more bearable (and Pitt has some of the worst war lines ever). Compelling at times with well-done violence, but lacking in that extra quality element that would have made it a great film. Expand
analogkid280Nov 1, 2014
The first half of this movie is as good as 'Saving Private Ryan'. The second half of this movie is as good as well, 'Commando' (Arnold Schwarzenegger)... I enjoyed both of those old movies, but when watching Fury and seeing it dissolve from aThe first half of this movie is as good as 'Saving Private Ryan'. The second half of this movie is as good as well, 'Commando' (Arnold Schwarzenegger)... I enjoyed both of those old movies, but when watching Fury and seeing it dissolve from a quality war drama into a button masher one gets so disappointed that it just distracts you from the rest of the film. Expand
mustard_tigerApr 9, 2015
Total ****

Not one single second of original movie here, its like they took a bunch of BS move tropes and blended them together. Then drank the trope smoothie, **** it out and that's how this movie was made. Watch anything before you
Total ****

Watch anything before you see this, I know you are thinking what I thought. Hey its a WW2 movie about tanks and I like thanks. Could be cool to see tanks in action in nice HD, I heard they used a real tiger.... don't fall for that. Well if you do, download it and skip ever scene that doesn't involve a tank.
RoadwarriorJan 17, 2015
Just pitiful. Apart from it's obviously over-budgeted price tag to make there is no redemption for this meandering fireworks filled flop. The producers actually resorted to using Star Wars-like laser effects to portray tracer rounds and whenJust pitiful. Apart from it's obviously over-budgeted price tag to make there is no redemption for this meandering fireworks filled flop. The producers actually resorted to using Star Wars-like laser effects to portray tracer rounds and when that stops being laughable it becomes irritating. The cast all try too hard to give epic performances for the awards season instead of trying to bring a human element to the ravages of war. The timing of the emotional pangs of loss is well out of context with the fear of staring their characters own death in the face and gives no emulation of the horror a real world war. Maybe it is the dogged script that lets the actors down but surely they read it prior to signing on the bottom line?
The idea of a tea party that is alien to the environment lends the viewer no comprehension of theme and is a complete disaster lost in translation of practically no point. Yes, that line makes more sense than the scene in the movie. Overall it just leaves you with a sense of trying too hard to be epic while having no backbone or real guts, quite the opposite of what the writer/director was, I'm sure, trying to achieve. World War II veterans must be holding their head in their hands while being utterly gob-smacked when watching this trashy homage to the true brave soldiers of the period. Boo! Hiss!
sherbzJun 2, 2016
Its actually not a bad film, but the ending ruins it. A trackless tank vs a whole SS squadron with anti tank weapons and the sort. It was a bit like watching an episode of He-man. One to avoid for the purists. But if you watch the firstIts actually not a bad film, but the ending ruins it. A trackless tank vs a whole SS squadron with anti tank weapons and the sort. It was a bit like watching an episode of He-man. One to avoid for the purists. But if you watch the first half it isnt too bad. Expand
AxgrinderOct 24, 2014
Not on my list of best war movies. Saving Private Ryan set the modern day standard for conveying the sounds, imagery and fury of war. Fury the movie has plot themes that, unfortunately, parallel Saving Private Ryan without adding anyNot on my list of best war movies. Saving Private Ryan set the modern day standard for conveying the sounds, imagery and fury of war. Fury the movie has plot themes that, unfortunately, parallel Saving Private Ryan without adding any insights. The acting of Brad Pitt (as a tank commander), as well as that of his fellow tank crew members, is credible. Where the movie falls short is in its direction and the lack of a particularly new or unique story line. The film contains too many contradictions, which kill its credibility.
Director (David Ryan) seems intent on sending the message that death in war is totally random. Paradoxically, everyone who dies in this movie is killed by a perfect shot. We are shown many sudden violent deaths, but the large number of people who get stabbed cleanly through the eye socket or have their head blown off straight across the neckline, in a relatively bloodless and painless way, seems oddly unrealistic. (About halfway through, you may find yourself wondering how many people have had their heads shot clean off.) Compounding the problem, Pitt does most of his fighting on top his tank, rather than inside it. The movie reminds us that in WWII American tanks had inferior amour plate, and we see tank after tank destroyed from a single enemy hit. Yet, when Pitt’s tank runs over a mine buried in the road, it merely disables the tank tread. Moments later we see one of Pitt’s crew running up that same road, apparently unconcerned about the presence of additional mines. The final sequence is reminiscent of the movie 300, with Pitt fighting off dozens of crack SS troupes from on top of his tank. None seem capable of hitting a fixed and exposed human target, except fora German sniper, inexplicably dressed in full camo gear (including a stringy face cover) despite the fact that it’s nighttime and pitch black outside.
Classic WWII movies from the 1960’s like Patton, The Longest Day, and Battle of the Bulge, though highly romanticized, have more interesting story lines about the history of WWII. In the 1980’s, Platoon and Apocalypse Now showed us bizarreness and insanity of war. In the 1990’s, Saving Private Ryan, showed us the real imagery and noise of war, reminded us why sometimes we have to fight, and the depth of the sacrifices that some individuals have made in the name of freedom. The only unique sequence in Fury occurs when Pitt, after helping liberate a German town, protects two vulnerable women from possible rape and abuse from his own men, which may account for the final oddity of this movie: women seem to find this movie appealing.
AnalyticCriticNov 8, 2014
Fury is a film about an American Tank Squad at the end of WW2. We have had some good WW2 movies and some less than mediocre ones. Fury is definitely one of the great ones. Almost everything is this movie is fantastic. The acting, the action,Fury is a film about an American Tank Squad at the end of WW2. We have had some good WW2 movies and some less than mediocre ones. Fury is definitely one of the great ones. Almost everything is this movie is fantastic. The acting, the action, the story, the emotion. They are all great. The film shows how war is, what it does to people, and the reality of it. How it greatly affects them to the point where they are a completely different person. It also showed how there were bad and good people in the war on both sides. I would have given this movie a solid 10 if it weren't for two problems. The first is a sequence in the middle of the film that ran on way too long and took you out of the movie. It could have been shortened to 10 minutes or even taken out entirely. It doesn't add much to the plot. The second is the final battle..The Germans all the sudden have storm trooper like aim. These are really the only problems I had with the movie. As for American propaganda, there is definitely still some but not that much. Way less than I was expecting. One thing I have to talk about is the overall sound. Now I saw this movie is just a regular theater. Nothing special. And holy cow the sound was amazing. You felt all the explosions and gunfire. It completely pulled you into the movie. Also the soundtrack is pretty good.

The acting is really good... All of the tank crewman minus the young lad are complete jerks for most of the movie... and the actors do a great job. Seriously the acting here is phenomenal. After the some not so good attention Shia LaBeouf comes back in Fury and is really amazing. Brad Pitt plays the sergeant "Wardaddy" and as with the rest of actors does a great job. The character that you hate the most would be Jon Bernthal's character. His character is completely messed up due to the war, and Jon Bernthal is really great in the role. Now the newest and youngest member of the squad Norman Ellison is basically the one you root for. He has zero experience and is appalled at the sight at dead bodies. Logan Lerman who portrays him steals the show. His acting is brilliant and completely believable. Now Micheal Pena who plays the last member of the squad "Gordo" does good job as all the others, but doesn't get as much screen time.
ydnar4Nov 10, 2014
Fury is a great war film. The whole cast was portrayed very well. Brad Pitt was phenomenal in the lead role. I prefer his performance in this movie over his performance in Inglourious Basterds, another World War II film. I thought the warFury is a great war film. The whole cast was portrayed very well. Brad Pitt was phenomenal in the lead role. I prefer his performance in this movie over his performance in Inglourious Basterds, another World War II film. I thought the war ground was as accurate as I have seen in any movie and the intensity of war was captured just as well. Fury is certainly worth watching in theatre as it is the best way to truly experience it. Fury is one of my favorites of 2014. Expand
HowmasterSep 10, 2015
It was really good up until the last 30 minutes which ruined the film. It seemed to have a bit of realism in showing how some US soldiers could be ruthless not just the enemies. The tank battles were interesting, however, it always seemedIt was really good up until the last 30 minutes which ruined the film. It seemed to have a bit of realism in showing how some US soldiers could be ruthless not just the enemies. The tank battles were interesting, however, it always seemed like the German tank crews were incompetent in that they couldn't hit squat. Brad Pitt and the other characters were well played.

That being said, the last 30 minutes of the film is all unrealistic action and ruined what was a good film.
arcangelOct 30, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fury is a movie which I had solid expectations for, I thought it would be a ok movie about WW2 and that it would have a fine portrayal of American soldiers. However I was wrong. The movie starts out with Brad Pitt brutally murdering a nazi commander and that set the entire tone of the movie. This movie tries its hardest to make you "feel something!" Im supposed to feel shocked at how brutal and unforgiving this war is with all of the death and murder that happens but I just got bored of all the gore and brutality. The story is ok, but the characters are the spawn of satan, they are all willing to kill surrendering nazis and make the new draft kid do it, rather than interrogating him. You will find yourself rooting for the nazis more than the allies because the nazis do not appear as bad as the horrible American army. The ending almost made me lose my **** after they gunned down hundreds of nazis only the rookie is left and he hides under the tank. Yet a nazi finds him and let's him live! "Hey I know you horribly murdered all of my friends but hey we bros so I'll cut you some slack." Not only that but they take a innocent girl hostage and because the rookie knows how to play piano she develops Stockholm syndrome and bangs him wtf. Screw this movie and it's rape imagery and its horrible characters. Do not see this movie it is not worth it. Expand
PerfectJayDreadOct 25, 2014
A truly, truly terrible movie. It must be said. The fact that people would call this travesty a "good world war 2 movie" is just soul crushing in the worst way. It's hard to find where to begin in this review, so I may as well jump into it. IA truly, truly terrible movie. It must be said. The fact that people would call this travesty a "good world war 2 movie" is just soul crushing in the worst way. It's hard to find where to begin in this review, so I may as well jump into it. I found myself actually hating all the main characters but one, and the one I didn't hate is purely on the account of him doing absolutely nothing. The film tries to be dramatic and thought provoking but all it really accomplishes is making me feel uncomfortable for no reason at all. It shallow and sporadic in its tone and mother of all thats holy the final two fight scenes are a true travesty beyond compare. I wont spoil anything, but the sheer level of stupidity displayed by the German soldiers is unbridled. Its nonsensical in all ways. Even taking into account the wiggle room afforded by movie magic does this film just insult my intelligence by asking me to believe that the Germans would be so keen as to just throw themselves in front of the enemies guns. Its absurd and breaks immersion and is bad. Just bad. The movie was bad. The characters were bad. The German acting was bad (boiled down to "SCHENLL FRITZ SCHENLL SHUTZ DIE AMERICANA!". I walked away from this movie feels disappointed and just downright dirty for having watched it and severely regret spending the $10 I did. Expand
AxeTOct 20, 2014
What a bore! Pitt is solid, but most critically it's very weak on story. Authenticity suffers since the makers were probably brought up on Star Wars they include lasers in a WWII film. There were tracers sure, but nothing like this.What a bore! Pitt is solid, but most critically it's very weak on story. Authenticity suffers since the makers were probably brought up on Star Wars they include lasers in a WWII film. There were tracers sure, but nothing like this. Artistic license to be pretty pictures? Fine, but the geek factor basically threw realism out the window. The supporting cast is too mannered in their performances. Michael Peña is not such a great actor who certainly is making bank playing the token Mexican in every other movie out there. Note to Hollywood: it begins to take an audience out of a story with this kind of over-saturation. Expand
moviemitch96Oct 30, 2014
This is a film that shows how truly brave our men were back in WW2. Along with that, we get some gritty, graphic action sequences as well as some great acting to top things off. Brad Pitt does an exceptional job as the lead. The supportingThis is a film that shows how truly brave our men were back in WW2. Along with that, we get some gritty, graphic action sequences as well as some great acting to top things off. Brad Pitt does an exceptional job as the lead. The supporting cast that includes Logan Lerman, Shia Labeouf , Michael Pena, Jon Bernthal, etc also did great. Despite a few scenes throughout that felt like fillers, this was definitely a very entertaining and great film overall. Expand
TotallyEpicHDNov 8, 2014
It depicts an accurate war, and is action packed and exciting, although it is a little dramatic. Overall, the film has some flaws, but it is welly executed, original, and memorable.
teaguewdFeb 19, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ‘Fury' is a film that manages to be something terrible despite having everything they could ever need at their disposal. All the ingredients are available for a gourmet meal, but somehow it still manages to serve up a platter where the main course contains velveeta “cheese”. Its not surprising, that this isn’t in the top-tier of war movies, but such a pitiful horror-show of cliched mise-en-scene flanked throughout with the exact same visual effects as the first few Star Wars Films(accompanied of course by the same laseresque sound effects) was not what I’d expected.
I rarely resort to the term ‘offended’, but I think thats exactly the feeling I found swelling up inside of me watching this film. As these catastrophic events unfolded before me, I was just on the verge of physical illness. Now the catastrophe I refer to most directly correspond to the performances of an otherwise noteworthy cast. In fact, as the main characters died off, I found myself feeling relieved. It wasn’t so much that I hated the characters, although none of them are the least bit likable(or more importantly plausible), but that there would be no more of their intensely cliched catchphrases, some of which were probably repeated at record breaking numbers for just 134 mins.
Its amazing to look back on the plot, and try to think about the narrative; what, if anything, happened? I’m not sure what could be said about this to make it more interesting. If you are looking for action scenes: there surprisingly few, and they are about as intense as a Telenovela, a bit like playing Battleship when you’ve already had ten drinks. Historical accuracy? If you’ve read more than three paragraphs describing WW2, you know there’s something off with this. Its simple-minded portrayal of the German army and its soldiers is overwhelmingly dismissive, to a point so superficially conceived that its jarring, not just for a war film, but any Hollywood movie. Needless to say it was not so compelling.
What was truly compelling, was the shoddiness of the film’s performances. Brad Pitt was Lt. Aldo Rain, taken down a few notches from exciting to uninvested. Michael Pena took painfully cliche to chalkboard-scraping levels. The guy from the Walking Dead was the worst, his stereotype of sex-crazed, moronic, inbred Southerners wasn’t even believable enough to be cliche(or consistent to be funny). Shia LaBeouf decided to go crazy over the wrong movie(Or maybe he just awakened psychological problems from the fist-fight-free-for-all the director forced the main ensemble to partake in). Lerman, the youngest actor, in fact did admit to being emotionally scarred due to this practice during production, and his performance was probably better than the rest of them.
Its hard to tell what they were going for with this ensemble, but not one of them was on the same page as any of the others. Alone they put up career-destroying performances, but together created a genre annihilating ensemble. I can’t tell how it worked out this badly. Every scene, every bit of dialogue was truly cringeworthy, the script seemingly generated by a computer whose inspiration was retrieved in bulk from the $5 DVD section at Walmart. Visually speaking, the film isn’t terribly shot whenever we get past the constant close-ups(the visual style complemented by somewhat interesting, highly-saturated version of the Band of Brothers look). Nonetheless its impossible to enjoy, cut up by editing akin to chopping the constituent elements of garden salad with a machete, and throwing them together in an ill-matching concoction of dressings. Amidst the constant gunfire sound-effects, everything stops for a failed dramatic moment about five times throughout, often when the characters face point-blank gunfire. In the final battle scene, consecutive shots bring everything from full daylight to darkest night. At his point, I decided to go to the restroom for a moment of respite, and started to wonder what else I could have done with my $2.50 besides visit this **** dollar theater.
In the restroom at some point during the film’s exhibition I saw a very old man wearing one of those hats Veterans sometimes wear from reunions. Like many, my grandfathers were in WWII, and I wondered what they would have thought of this movie if they were alive to see it. After all, its been a long time since the war, the youngest veterans of which would be around 88 years old this year, and here was one, barely able to stand up, but he had made the trip here to see this. That’s when I started to feel really bad. I had laughed when I saw the family of five walk in, all of them in head-to-toe camo, but now my heart sank. Maybe the people who were actually there deserve better than ‘Fury'. Of all the Hollywood genres, the War Film seemed to be historically the most consistently interesting and compelling. Just like that, I don’t know if that is longer any accurate. Maybe we all deserve better.
CountryPetInnOct 21, 2014
The best WWII movie I've seen since Saving Private Ryan. Really well done. If the story was better than I'd give it a 10. Overall, it was the best tank battle footage I've seen so far.
XishnikOct 19, 2014
Pros: Some decent action, and at times some decent acting (although in this movie i thought it was over-dramatized, and not very genuine at times)
Cons: Lack of genuineness, originality, subtlety. Alot of scenes were rushed, cliche, or just lacked a subtlety of acting that you'd expect of this movie. whoever wrote the script really needs to step their game up because most of the time i was cringing relatively hard especially during a certain 'time killing' scene around the middle of the movie which had me gasping and closing my eyes at how much they could have nixed or written better.
If I had the opportunity to go back and time and unsee this movie, i'd probably take it.
oilregJan 25, 2015
70 years later still seems to be good time to release another WW2 movie, like it used to be every year since then. Unfortunatly it glorifies the unjustified brutality and inhumanity of the allied troops against the enemy after they waved70 years later still seems to be good time to release another WW2 movie, like it used to be every year since then. Unfortunatly it glorifies the unjustified brutality and inhumanity of the allied troops against the enemy after they waved the white flag already and put their weapons down already. As of today it becomes obvious that they gave a flying frak about the geneva conventions and the rules of humanity. On top of that trash movie its filled with historic lies from start to end. Expand
OzyNov 5, 2014
Brad Pitt, how many pro Jewish movies will you make in your life time? What about Stalin?? what about every other empire that **** the world up at some point in history - why are all the movies about nazi's. Im sick of this nazi crap.Brad Pitt, how many pro Jewish movies will you make in your life time? What about Stalin?? what about every other empire that **** the world up at some point in history - why are all the movies about nazi's. Im sick of this nazi crap. Schindler's list was the last be all and end all. No more please! We understand, Nazis are bad! Why dont they make a movie of the GAZA strip?????????? Expand
ahnehnoisOct 21, 2014
Where this movie succeeds is in making you feel like you're in a tank. Technically wonderful, with a lot of grit, energetic and scary battle scenes, and a thunderous score. The characters aren't particularly original, but by and large theyWhere this movie succeeds is in making you feel like you're in a tank. Technically wonderful, with a lot of grit, energetic and scary battle scenes, and a thunderous score. The characters aren't particularly original, but by and large they feel like real soldiers. There's a bleak, unsentimental quality to most of the actions. Of course there's a lot of violence, but the movie isn't afraid to let a recognizable star get shot in the face. I won't say which one.

It's short of being a great movie though, for a few reasons. For one, the stakes and action are ramped up, and even though many Hollywood conventions are successfully avoided, the jeopardy and brutality can feel gratuitous. Particularly given that they were winning the war, it seems they should proceed more conservatively.

Another issue is a sequence in the middle where the the crew shacks up with some German civilian women. It's muddled and confused, and seems to equivocate on the definition of rape in war. It also muddles the soldiers' code, particularly their leader, who would be hard pressed to justify why he draws the line where he does. Beyond that, the whole thing drags and ends up going nowhere. It seems like it was written just so some of the movie would be outside of a tank, but the subject matter calls for a better written interlude.

Indeed, the writer/director claims to have written in in one quick burst, and I think that's the movie's strength and its weakness. It feels raw and natural, but maybe could have used a rewrite so some character decisions and plot points would make more sense. That being said, even if this isn't quite on the level of Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers and The Pacific, it's still an entertaining movie that says something new about the well-trod subject matter. And if you see it in the right theater, you'll really feel those tanks blasting.
theofficeOct 19, 2014
Not great, not bad is really all I can say. There isn't that much drama in this movie. The action is ok but there are no big tank battles. Just feel it was a little bit of a lost opportunity given how awesome the effects are. The action isNot great, not bad is really all I can say. There isn't that much drama in this movie. The action is ok but there are no big tank battles. Just feel it was a little bit of a lost opportunity given how awesome the effects are. The action is the best ww2 action since saving private ryan so I wish they took advantage of it more. The acting was also fantastic all around with very believable characters and stories. Expand
metalincJan 13, 2015
I don't write reviews very often on here.....even when I should but I had to fo this movie. I loved it....the grittiness, the atmosphere....everything was fantastic. One of he best war moves ever made in my opinion.
sammurphy66Oct 23, 2014
Unflinchingly gritty and hyper-realistic, Fury serves as a brilliant representation of War Time and boasts some fantastic performances and action sequences.
neyony345Oct 18, 2014
This movie is a gritty, and in my opinion, a realistic representation of tank warfare during World War II. Brad Pitt does a great job reprising his role as the tank commander, and does a great job showing the conflict of morals in the midstThis movie is a gritty, and in my opinion, a realistic representation of tank warfare during World War II. Brad Pitt does a great job reprising his role as the tank commander, and does a great job showing the conflict of morals in the midst of warfare. The main focal point of this story, I believe, is the camaraderie and friendships that were forged in the fires of war. The tank crew acted as a family, regardless of religion, background, and race, and the tank was their home. . Expand
Jiggs_CaseyOct 24, 2014
Historically, the things depicted in the movie DID happen, if not ALL to ONE tank crew . . . and much of the tactics and battle scenes are inaccurate (albeit, gripping) . . . but hey, it's a movie. I think it would help if many of theHistorically, the things depicted in the movie DID happen, if not ALL to ONE tank crew . . . and much of the tactics and battle scenes are inaccurate (albeit, gripping) . . . but hey, it's a movie. I think it would help if many of the negative reviewers saw the film with someone who could explain the history and meaning of some of the scenes to them. Sure, I saw a lot of the same formulaic things that have been criticized, but when put in context to actual events, these things will make better sense. The movie gets the looks right, it is well acted and it presents a very interesting storylline which presents may opportunities to teach a thing or two about not just WW2 but war in general. Expand