7.6

1. Oct 17, 2014
    This movie was a fantastic representation of tank combat during World War II. The cast is great, I have to say I was worried about the cast but they all played their role to perfection. I was impressed by the tank effects. Fury is a M4A3E8, it was a late world War II Sherman variant with the larger 76mm M1A2 gun as opposed to the smaller less powerful 75mm L/40 gun that was present in most Sherman tanks. In the movie they use proper terminology like when they face the Tiger tank head to head they switch to HVAP (high velocity armor piercing) rounds. they really did their research on this movie. The movie was filled with war action, drama, tragedy, and a hint of comedy. I would highly recommend this movie, especially if you love tanks like I do. Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2014
    Much better than I expected and is a movie even women will enjoy. It is more about relationships built in war and less about the war. Good tank fighting scenes also and the acting is wonderful.
  3. Oct 17, 2014
    I saw this last night with a group of guys in our 40's. They absolutely loved it and even compared it to Saving Private Ryan and some other classic WWII films. I wasn't so convinced. There are moments where the action and gun fights are fantastic, but some of the character interactions in the quiet scenes in between seemed formulaic and cliche. I will avoid spoilers here but these characters are repeats of characters we have seen before in Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The Big Red One, Saving Private Ryan, etc. The cast is strong and the actors play their parts well enough, but the script seems to limit the characters to broad stereotypes.
    There is also a breakfast scene where the crew is eating eggs in an apartment in a town they have liberated. Some of the characters behave in ways that are not consistent with the rest of the movie. Pitt's character in particular seems like he is lost in that scene whereas he is normally a strong and dependable leader. Once the scene is concluded it is never referred to again and all of the characters proceed as though nothing had changed. When I quizzed my group about this scene, even the guys who liked the movie the most agreed that this was a peculiar scene that was out of character for Pitt.
    Overall, when seen on a big screen with a good sound system, it's worth seeing for all of the WWII carnage and the close knit bonds of the tank crew, but don't expect story or characters that you haven't seen before. I don't regret spending the $13 ticket price, but when it comes to HBO I will probably pass on watching it again.
  4. Oct 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the movie, but a lot of it isn't logical. For example:
    * A soldier is unlikely to commit murder (shooting German prisoner in the back) with so many witnesses
    * The German girl isn't likely to go to bed so easily and so soon with the hated enemy
    * The other soldiers who enter the German home are implying they would like to rape the girls. They just had sex a few minutes earlier with a hooker in the tank.
    * It's unlikely the Germans would mine the road around a field hospital, which is typically in a safe area and typically would only be used by their own vehicles.
    * Can't for the life of me figure out why the German soldier smiled at the American soldier hiding under the tank and didn't turn him in.
  5. Oct 17, 2014
    Finally, the tank gets its own movie. Long the unheralded workhorse of war, the tank has been largely neglected by Hollywood, probably due to the technical complexity and expense of trying to depict tank warfare. "Fury" attempts to make up for this in spades by reproducing in elaborate detail the everyday grunge, grease and gears of tank warfare in World War II.

The look and feel of
    "Fury" is reminiscent of "Saving Private Ryan", but is even more accurate and real-to-life. The dirt, the ill-fitting uniforms, the rust, the scars of life are all lovingly recreated. Especially notable are the costumes, which depict civilian and military dress at the time far more accurately than any movie ever made previously. The wardrobe department must have worked from thousands of contemporary photographs and had an army of seamstresses and designers slaving away to faithfully conjure up every emblem and button and ribbon. The scenes depicting German POWs in a holding camp and a marching column of panzer grenadiers are absolute masterpieces of technical accuracy and wardrobe fidelity. The only limitation on this display of virtuosity is the sheer panoply of styles--sometimes they show so many different uniforms and costumes within a single unit that is unrealistic because a real unit would not have so great a range of dress.

The hardware in the movie is equally realistic. Real tanks have been fully reconstructed to show exactly how they were during the war, paint chips, donkey baskets, dents and all. Pistols, ammo, machine guns and other accessories all are correct down to the click of the slide and cock of the hammer. Even civilian goods are rescued from ye olde antique shop: bottles of wine, wash basins, armoires, rugs, tea kettles, china--all straight out of pre-war Germany.

The real shining star of the movie is the battle scenes, though. These artillery explosions, armor piercing rounds and .50-caliber fire are not your father's SFX squibs and witches brew burnoffs; they are hyper realistic recreations of the actual sights and sounds of real warfare. The whine of high-velocity fire really sets your hairs on end. The only flaw is that the action is compressed, the combatants being too close to each other, but this is obviously necessary so that everything is visible. The producers went to great lengths to show actual combat tactics, so you see infantry support, dug in AT, bore-sighted ambushes, panzer faust and all kinds of other realistic tactics from actual warfare.

The weakness of the movie is its script, which is full of anachronistic modern language and implausible situations with people talking and acting like 1990 east LA toughs instead of real 1940s soldiers. The final battle scene is also completely absurd, with dozens of elite Nazis throwing themselves in front a helpless tanks gun's. It's like those old cowboy and Indian movies in which the Indians deliberately ride in front of cavalry soldiers so they can get shot down. There is also a weird romance/rape scene that tries to split the difference between gang rape, wartime prostitution and cross-cultural dating and ends up in a very awkward place.

All-in-all, if you are war buff or gear head you will love this movie, but don't expect too much from the dramatic side of it.
  6. Oct 17, 2014
    This movie is fantastic. Great characters, brilliant directing around some moving story. Needed to be 20 minutes longer to complete those arcs. See it.
  7. Oct 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was something far from what I expected. When going into a World War 2 movie I have nothing but fond memories of seeing camaraderie and people banding together, mercy and suffering, beauty amongst all the pain in the ways the soldiers interact not only with each other as brothers in arms but with their enemies as warriors of the highest caliber. Respect and honor and so forth. I also believe it's important to involve scenes depicting the depravity of war, war in all its shades from darkest moments, to light hearted conversations, to acts of valor beyond the normal human's comprehension. Fury attained some of these goals yet they were few and far between. It captured the depravity of war than went on to blow it into epic proportions with soldiers cussing at every five second interval, looking at women in captured towns as meat for them to rip into at their own leisure, and what may have been others was now, well, theirs. Fury disgusted me in this showing of barbarism, I feel as if the director looked at World War 2 propaganda and decided that was all their was to the war. I know very well that war has these incidents yet this often? It made me think it was some child trying to convince me of the brutality of his mother's beating by over-exaggerating every detail. The battle scenes were incredible, and executed perfectly even the explicit language had some sense when used in these scenes, aside from the overdramatic effect of some weapons they were quite well done, until of course the final fight scene. Ah, the final scene, where Fury finally attained the essence of camaraderie among the soldiers and made you root for them every second, until you realized they needed no help against the Nazi's they were fighting. To call these SS Nazis, soldiers was almost a laughable idea. The SS were known for their brutality and amazing battle skills, but apparently if you pit them up against a Sherman (a tank mocked by even the American's themselves when sizing them up to any other tank) they fall like flies, throwing their bodies at it until something cracks, refusing to fire weapons thinking it'd be safer to rush the tank and wave their arms wildly to stop the gunfire. You may think an RPG even in World War 2 was able to be fired from a distance, but according to Fury you'd be wrong, and even point blank it seems as if these RPGs can miraculously miss a shot worse than a musket from ages past. It's hard to believe these "SS soldiers" could even walk without falling over themselves. I feel if any veteran actually saw this movie they'd wonder why they themselves ever feared these spoon fed children. Some people might say "Oh, but the Nazi's recruited everyone at this stage in the war, in fact it was stated in the movie." in which case I'd say yes, it was stated excellently so in fact. One of the few moments where the American's seemed almost likable was when they executed the SS officer who hung children. But I would also say that although they recruited everyone, the SS was something you were not thrown into unless you deserved it. I found myself almost rooting for the Nazis after the forced execution of a surrendered soldier. Fury made our Golden Generation of warriors seem like monsters. If the director of this film (I had no intention to try to memorize the name of the director after seeing this movie) read into even a piece of war accounts by soldiers and reporters in the field, he/she may have realized the way our soldiers actually behaved was courteous and kind in most accounts, of course there were times when our soldiers were out of line but they were almost always stopped by a commanding officer. Nonetheless the worst part by far was the fact that Fury made the SS look merciful compared to us. I know the cliché of "young soldier spares enemy because of some level of compassion and fear" but an SS soldier? Really? An SS soldier would have killed him on the spot, yet it shows our soldiers ruthlessly murder a surrendering Nazi? This movie had few good points, I'm sure if any veteran watched this movie they would be disgusted at how they were portrayed. All in all the movie isn't worth the price of admission, it was a wasted two hours of propaganda to try to slander our Golden Generation. Expand
  8. Oct 17, 2014
    I just came back from watching Fury. Brad Pitt is outstanding playing a determined Army Sergeant tank commander near the end of WW II. He leads his weary men into battle in April of 1945 as the Allies march thru Germany. Just like Saving Private Ryan you will literally sit on the edge of your seat nervously as you have a birds eye view of just how dehumanizing war really is. It's not for the feint of heart on that I can assure you. As I watched the movie unfold I could not help but think back to an old movie my father took me to as a boy back in 1955 starring real life war hero Audie Murphy in To Hell And Back. Audie was the most decorated soldier of all time. He survived the war but died in a plane crash at age 45. Brad Pitt's portrayal very much resembles Audie Murphy's. However, this movie is very tough to watch because it takes no prisoners showing the brutality on both sides with its kill or be killed mentality. Hard to take your eyes off the sliver screen. Expand
  9. Oct 18, 2014
    David Ayer's "Fury" - with all of its horrific imagery, technical majesty, and emotional resonance - just might be the greatest World War II film since "Saving Private Ryan."
  10. Oct 19, 2014
    Pros: Some decent action, and at times some decent acting (although in this movie i thought it was over-dramatized, and not very genuine at times)
    Cons: Lack of genuineness, originality, subtlety. Alot of scenes were rushed, cliche, or just lacked a subtlety of acting that you'd expect of this movie. whoever wrote the script really needs to step their game up because most of the time i
    was cringing relatively hard especially during a certain 'time killing' scene around the middle of the movie which had me gasping and closing my eyes at how much they could have nixed or written better.
    If I had the opportunity to go back and time and unsee this movie, i'd probably take it.
  11. Oct 19, 2014
    This is a movie I didn't need to see...however...I did see it. It makes you feel like you're in that tank with them. I empathized most with the young guy's attitude even though I am much older and should know more about people's cruelty, without having to experience it first hand. Anyone who wants to go to war should see this movie first and maybe they will change their mind. It's powerful, gripping, and sucks the air out of you on what bad things people can do to each other. Even the "good" guys (Brad Pitt) have their viciousness. It's war movies like this that might stop war for people who have a conscience. Wish I knew what we can do for those that obviously have no respect for humanity. Great acting by all! Expand
  12. Oct 19, 2014
    Not great, not bad is really all I can say. There isn't that much drama in this movie. The action is ok but there are no big tank battles. Just feel it was a little bit of a lost opportunity given how awesome the effects are. The action is the best ww2 action since saving private ryan so I wish they took advantage of it more. The acting was also fantastic all around with very believable characters and stories. Expand
  13. Oct 18, 2014
    Decent movie about realities of war. To be honest, didn't watch many trailers presented on this because I wanted to be surprised.
    Good action, great acting. and superb presentation. Really felt the suspense in battle.
    Innocence lost in war was really the overall message of the movie - along the lines of Thin Red Line or the Platoon in terms of examinations of people involved in war.
    In
    summary, I would see this if you like war movies, worth a rent or theater visit. Just don't give it outrageous expectations. Expand
  14. Oct 20, 2014
    Not since "Saving Private Ryan" has a war movie engaged me this much, David Ayer does a great job directing a war film that we haven't really seen before. When was the last time you saw a movie from the tank crew's point of view ? Fury is a dark and gritty film that shows the horrors of war in the most truthful way. All the performances were great and the action is tense and well shot. On a side note, that is a real tank they are in throughout the movie. Expand
  15. Oct 18, 2014
    This movie is a gritty, and in my opinion, a realistic representation of tank warfare during World War II. Brad Pitt does a great job reprising his role as the tank commander, and does a great job showing the conflict of morals in the midst of warfare. The main focal point of this story, I believe, is the camaraderie and friendships that were forged in the fires of war. The tank crew acted as a family, regardless of religion, background, and race, and the tank was their home. . Expand
  16. Oct 19, 2014
    It's a really great movie, and Brad Pitt's performance is outstanding, and I didn't realize that Shia Labeouf actually did good in his performance too, and good actions into the film
  17. Oct 20, 2014
    Fury adeptly balances entertainment and accuracy with regards to human physical and mental state during war. Ayer's use of Lerman's character as a bridge between the audience and the terrors of war is genius. Lerman's performance truly brings you into the tank.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Oct 20, 2014
    A persuasive, warts-and-bolts depiction of warfare from the guts of a tank yoked to an overwrought, sub-Private Ryan account of innocence under fire — so a hit and a miss.
  2. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 19, 2014
    Fury is literally visceral— a kind of war horror film, which is, of course, what good combat films should be.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Oct 18, 2014
    In a way, Fury and 1970's "Patton" could be considered companion pieces. Both deal extensively with tank warfare but from different perspectives.