Warner Bros. | Release Date: February 23, 2018
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 223 Ratings
Watch Now
Tony1984Mar 6, 2018
The quality of big screen comedy has been well below par for decades. Formulaic kidult pop culture jokes which are just not funny. Game Night is all of these things of course but thankfully there is a saving grace. The story. It’s imaginativeThe quality of big screen comedy has been well below par for decades. Formulaic kidult pop culture jokes which are just not funny. Game Night is all of these things of course but thankfully there is a saving grace. The story. It’s imaginative and original with lots of twists and turns. The actors are a mixed bag. Jason Bateman plays his usual role here. There is a black couple who really don't do anything apart from stretch one joke way too long. But the characters of Ryan and Sharon Horgan, Rachel McAdams and Jesse Plemons are very good. It's a movie of smiles and chuckles rather than belly laughs but a lot better than most comedies released. Expand
preciouskikiFeb 24, 2018
Very entertaining, funny and fast-paced with something for everyone: enough action for adventure fans, plenty of chuckles for comedy fans, and some amusingly on-target relationship stuff for anyone who has ever been part of a couple. JasonVery entertaining, funny and fast-paced with something for everyone: enough action for adventure fans, plenty of chuckles for comedy fans, and some amusingly on-target relationship stuff for anyone who has ever been part of a couple. Jason Bateman's understated line delivery is just spot-on perfect, so funny. Loved it and would recommend to anyone. Expand
eagleeyevikingMar 2, 2018
While it may be a little too convoluted for its own good, "Game Night" is nevertheless a hilarious comedy that delivers heart and humour in spades thanks to its all-firing cast.
mmadnessgamesFeb 27, 2018
Game Night knows what it is and it doesn't try to pretend to be something that it is not... It's not a clever film. It's not original. It's just a bit of silly fun.

A review I read said it was a comedic version of Fincher's "The Game". But,

A review I read said it was a comedic version of Fincher's "The Game". But, that's not a good comparison. There are obvious similarities. A brother hires a group of actors to set up an elaborate series of events, orchestrating a fake adventure. And, the word "game" is in the title.

But, this film is much closer to The Man Who Knew Too Little... If it was a mix of The Game and The Man Who Knew Too Little, it would lean towards the latter.

The script is better than the film. There were some really funny moments, but there were as many failed jokes as there were successful ones.

Jesse Plemons (the redhead from Breaking Bad) is the highlight of this film. It's the first time I've seen him pull off a truly great comic performance. I think he's got a lot of potential.

Sharon Horgan (the British woman from Catastrophe) is one of the better actors in the film, but her character doesn't work. They phoned her in, along with her date and the other "Denzel" couple... They are one joke couples. That's one joke for two characters.

1. The stupid guy usually dates bimbos, but this time he brought along a ringer. That is: a smart woman he doesn't want to sleep with who might help him win game night.

2. The black guy is freaking out because his wife said she slept with a celebrity during a drinking game. Turns out she didn't. It was just somebody that looked vaguely like Denzel Washington.

They stretch these jokes across every scene with these characters. The actors do a good job with the material. It's not cringe-worthy, but it's not great.

The main couple (Bateman / McAdams) have a bit more depth/character.

The brother could have been a lot better, especially towards the end. It's a super cliched character that has been done to death - the rich, successful, obnoxious brother - and this one is completely forgettable.

This reminds me of Date Night. A quirky suburban couple get entangled in some sort of dangerous scheme and end up clashing with the criminal underworld... Plus, it has the word "night" in the title.

I've gotten to a point where I've seen so many films that it's pretty likely I've seen something extremely similar to whatever I'm going to watch on any given day... But this is a bit too familiar at times.

If it wasn't for Plemons and the scene with all the blood, I'd give it a 5/10.
moviemitch96Mar 8, 2018
This was actually quite a fun and enjoyable action comedy. The whole cast, led by Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams each had their own great and funny moments. Plenty of enjoyable movie and pop culture references throughout as well. Overall,This was actually quite a fun and enjoyable action comedy. The whole cast, led by Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams each had their own great and funny moments. Plenty of enjoyable movie and pop culture references throughout as well. Overall, this was an enjoyable and passable film for a fun night out. Expand
Rebecca31Mar 9, 2018
Game Night is entertaining to a point but the plot very quickly loses the run of itself as it drifts into the realm of ridiculous. Stuffed full of every reference to every game you've ever played. Also filled with movie reference upon movieGame Night is entertaining to a point but the plot very quickly loses the run of itself as it drifts into the realm of ridiculous. Stuffed full of every reference to every game you've ever played. Also filled with movie reference upon movie reference just to make sure you're having a good time. At one point there was an audible groan coming from the audience and honestly I felt their pain.

Max (Jason Bateman) and Annie (Rachel McAdams) are the ultimate competitive couple who host a weekly game night with their equally competitive friends. However, their usual Game Night changes when Max's brother Brooks (Kyle Chandler) comes along and hosts a Game Night with a twist. This isn't your ordinary Game Night, no this is the ultimate Game Night. Someone will be taken and it's up to the teams to use the clues and figure out where the person has been taken, be the first to find them and win the grand prize. Meanwhile some real kidnappers come along at the most convenient time and crash the Game Night. Hilarity ensues as the teammates rush off to solve this mystery while unknowingly participating in a real life hostage situation with real criminals and real weapons...or are they? What's real and what's part of the game is not clear and this only adds to the comedy. At least that was the plan, maybe Game Night was supposed to be hilarious, maybe if their best jokes weren't shoved in all the trailers as a selling point this would have gotten a few laughs out of me. I guess we'll never know. Jesse Plemons creepy performance was perhaps the best thing in it, the rest was an eye rolling and cringe inducing mess. Not recommended unless you loved the trailer, in that case go ahead.
Davrosdaleks1Feb 23, 2018
This film is much funnier than the trailers and commercials make it look. In fact, I can't remember the last time I've laughed so much repeatedly.

Lots of clever lines. Good casting all around. (Jesse Plemons is even more creepily funny than he is in the the trailers, and I'm asking myself the same question I asked when I saw Peter Jackson's King Kong: Why isn't Kyle Chandler in more movies?) Also, the direction was surprisingly well-thought out for a comedy. A lot of effort clearly went into lighting, camera work, and certain set designs.

Bear in mind, I wouldn't suggest this film if you're squeamish. The film mines its humor from the characters contrasting with some dark situations. The scene with Bateman's injured arm in the trailer is more hardcore than is let on.

If you watch this, be sure to stay through the beginning of the credits. It's one of the funniest bits of the movie.
mrdr4gonMar 13, 2018
Decent, well made comedy. Its a little light on the laughs though, which is a shame because there are some very funny jokes that do land. Too often though setups are telegraphed and that's when there are jokes instead of just zippyDecent, well made comedy. Its a little light on the laughs though, which is a shame because there are some very funny jokes that do land. Too often though setups are telegraphed and that's when there are jokes instead of just zippy conversation. There's some surprisingly good camerawork and some strong performances from Rachel McAdams and Jesse Plemons but in the end it doesn't rise too far above being 'alright.' Expand
marymaebennettMar 2, 2018
Wooh! It has been a while since I've written a review because I feel like the SAT has been eating up my time. It still is which is why I'm writing this while I'm tired and it's late at night and I certainly am not going to be checking myWooh! It has been a while since I've written a review because I feel like the SAT has been eating up my time. It still is which is why I'm writing this while I'm tired and it's late at night and I certainly am not going to be checking my grammar. This movie is great! I think it's going to be a cult classic. My family does not. But, they still think it was highly enjoyable! I think there's something really appealing about the overused game night gone wrong stereotype (if you're looking for more search Edgar Allen Poe Party on youtube, should be the first thing that comes up, great stuff). The cast was phenomenal and there was not one weak link. Every time I think I can pick a favorite character or favorite scene, I have to change my mind because there are just that many good scenes. Seriously though, I'm trying not to give spoilers but I just want to talk about all the great moments. Billy Magnussen better go places with this and Into the Woods. (Don't pretend Agony was not hilarious) I only single him out because out of the main main comedians, he was the only one without real recognition. I've been hyped for this since the trailer which I thought was hilarious. The rest of my family thought it looked terrible. I thought it not only lived up to the hype but had a lot more jokes than what you saw in the trailer. I loved it. My parents thought it was funny. The audience was having a great time. The humor wasn't crude. With this and Jumanji, we may finally be seeing a renaissance in comedy that exists outside of the superhero realm.

Please go see this, I think you'll have a great time.
JLuis_001Feb 27, 2018
I will be honest, I really thought this movie was going to be a colossal failure and although I don't think it was something memorable, it really works.
The cast is solid and the gags are also funny enough to keep you attentive and
The cast is solid and the gags are also funny enough to keep you attentive and entertained, 100 minutes well spent. Rachel McAdams is a charming goddess and while she could be doing better things she's a great support for the film, however, I would say the only weak link is Jason Bateman and I don't say it because the dude was wrong or wasn't funny, the problem is that in comedies he always plays the same guy and I don't see any acting growth, I think he's just happy with showing up.
robbywarren93Feb 24, 2018
This is absolutely hilarious and such a fun time at the movies. The whole cast works great together and the twists are all so good. One of the best studio comedies of the past few years.
drone41May 20, 2018
This is a great movie to watch when you want to relax. Sense of humor is absolutely crazy in positive way, and movie has a really interesting plot.
tigawayneMar 7, 2018
The comedy film Game Night is genuinely funny with jokes that work well between characters and within situations. The film is consistently unpredictable and creative, providing inventive ways to create and deliver humour and simultaneouslyThe comedy film Game Night is genuinely funny with jokes that work well between characters and within situations. The film is consistently unpredictable and creative, providing inventive ways to create and deliver humour and simultaneously progressing the plot. The overall narrative is competent as well, with decent cinematography and smooth pacing to maintain its compelling story. The characters are although not great or full of depth that can be deeply relatable, they are sufficiently developed with clear differences between personalities and backstories. The solid acting performances also help build the characters. The film is occasionally over the top and some small plot holes might be confusing, but these flaws don’t do much damage to the enjoyment of watching the film. In short, Game Night is not remarkable, but it is a really enjoyable comedy and watching it is a truly fun time.
SuzyEMar 23, 2018
Was this movie supposed to be funny? Just wondering, because it's not. It's been years since I walked out on a movie. This turd broke that record. All the jokes are contained in the trailer for the film. Go see something else.
AugustKellerJun 4, 2018
Moments of genuine craftsmanship mixed with insulting storytelling, Game Night shows how far style can carry a complete lack of substance. Tilt shifts shots and a synth soundtrack are used aplenty to give this film a hip and unique feel.Moments of genuine craftsmanship mixed with insulting storytelling, Game Night shows how far style can carry a complete lack of substance. Tilt shifts shots and a synth soundtrack are used aplenty to give this film a hip and unique feel. There is an ambitious, continuous action shot that is genuinely engaging and subtle uses of CGI that add authentic comedic effects. Performances from Rachel McAdams, Jesse Plemons, Lamorne Morris and Sharon Horgon range from enjoyable to highly memorable. Yet, despite all this praise, the fundamental flaws of Game Night hold the movie back in a major way.

While clever details and wit do make their way into the script, the meat of the story is spent meandering through cliche scenes primarily motivated to get cheap laughs. This is to be occasionally expected in a comedy but there comes a point when the story being told becomes practically nothing at all. This issue is only exasperated by the performance of Jason Bateman, who spends much more time coming off as a jerk than anything else. Condescension can be a funny trait to dip into but when it is the only note our protagonist plays, it becomes hard to root for. Deceptively packaged with sleek techniques and a surprise supporting cast, Game Night amounts to a story about almost nothing and an unintentionally dislikable hero.

Writing: 2/10
Production Design: 7/10
Casting: 7/10
Effects: 7/10

Overall Score: 6.2/10

Original Article: https://thefilmguys.blog/reviews/augusts-reviews/game-night-2018/
domotime2Mar 5, 2018
I am on an island here. I thought this movie was pretty very bad. They cut the "is it a game or night" plot WAY WAY WAY WAY too fast...and they did the absolute minimum of stretching out how funny a couple who are overly competitive in boardI am on an island here. I thought this movie was pretty very bad. They cut the "is it a game or night" plot WAY WAY WAY WAY too fast...and they did the absolute minimum of stretching out how funny a couple who are overly competitive in board games could be. McCadams and Bateman's story is Bateman unsure if he wants a kid? What? Why? What a lazy rom-com type trope to throw in there for no reason. The side characters add nothing in terms of comedy...and just yeah.. predictable, hollywood, forgettable. If you think Bateman going into a room and making a mess "uh oh" is funny...then this movie is for you. Expand
TryASummersaultMar 1, 2018
Your standard comedy these days. Some laughs here and there but at times tries extremely hard at being something it really isn't with the plotting and twists. This is like the highest rated comedy in years and it really didnt live up to theYour standard comedy these days. Some laughs here and there but at times tries extremely hard at being something it really isn't with the plotting and twists. This is like the highest rated comedy in years and it really didnt live up to the hype although it was better than i thought it would be. Comedy is officially stagnant and close to being a dead genre entirely but this kept it just above the water but not much more. Expand
WhiskeyStoriesMar 5, 2018
What the hell?!! Whats all this hype around this movie?! There's honestly nothing exceptionally praisworthy or special about it. The comedy is terribly unfunny, every joke is just a reference to some pop-culture sh!t (á la Seth MacFarlane)What the hell?!! Whats all this hype around this movie?! There's honestly nothing exceptionally praisworthy or special about it. The comedy is terribly unfunny, every joke is just a reference to some pop-culture sh!t (á la Seth MacFarlane) and the story is just as underwhelming. Game Night is one of your regular American mainstream Jason Bateman comedies (e.g.: Horrible Bosses, Office Christmas Party etc.), but for some reason both critics and the public are raving about it. /I honestly can't remember whan was the last time Jason Bateman gave a legit comedic performance in a film./ The only aspects of the film that stand out are its cinematography, which is inventive at times and Jesse Plemons who was actually pretty funny. Game Night is average at best. Expand
harsubaghMar 1, 2018
i will make this short, you would think that with this cast and the story, it would be a funny movie? its not. i walked out of this one. it was insulting. much was too predictable. thats it, all i'm going to say.
danwa13Feb 25, 2018
Don't waste your money. Not a comedy (not funny at all), not a thriller, not suspenseful. So everything the movie claims to be is false. One of a few movies we've walked out of - it was insulting that the makers of this movie thoughtDon't waste your money. Not a comedy (not funny at all), not a thriller, not suspenseful. So everything the movie claims to be is false. One of a few movies we've walked out of - it was insulting that the makers of this movie thought intelligent people would find any redeeming value to viewers watching it. It makes me really question how much is being paid to the "non-user critics" to provide reasonable ratings, and I still can't believe the user reviews. In the beginning there was a laugh or two, but then the movie spiralled into a lame and implausible hodge podge of absurdity. Even if you wanted to call this "slapstick" it wouldn't be worth the cost of a ticket. Seriously, don't waste your time on this total loser. Expand
BooyahMediaMar 10, 2018
Think of the movie HOUSE with Will Ferrell except this movie is 10 times worst with no direction! absolutely garbage in the worst way possible!
badwulf151Feb 28, 2018
A very good movie, enjoyed it a lot. it was hella epic for the win and i only need to fill up 75 characters so hahahah come on please fill it up a bit faster than that please and thank you
blapapMar 7, 2018
Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun. Nice geeks references with fast action and creepy Jesse Plemons ;)))))
TVJerryMar 1, 2018
Jason Bateman and Rachael McAdams play a highly-competitive couple who enjoy the titular times with a group of friends. One nite's event turns wrong, resulting in mayhem and comedy. There are a few genuinely funny situations, but the film'sJason Bateman and Rachael McAdams play a highly-competitive couple who enjoy the titular times with a group of friends. One nite's event turns wrong, resulting in mayhem and comedy. There are a few genuinely funny situations, but the film's strongest asset is Bateman's dry-panic delivery. Almost everything he says gets a laff. The rest of the cast does fine, but the only other comic standout is Billy Magnussen as the dumb blonde. The film is well paced and has a few twists to keep it fun. NOTE: Stay thru the credits for one final punch line. Expand
TheQuietGamerMay 25, 2018
A tightly scripted, modern R-rated comedy. None of that letting the actors ad lib everything and running with the best take approach that seems to be becoming the norm these days. Not that there aren't some fantastic improvised, spur of theA tightly scripted, modern R-rated comedy. None of that letting the actors ad lib everything and running with the best take approach that seems to be becoming the norm these days. Not that there aren't some fantastic improvised, spur of the moment style comedies out there. It's just that too often they suffer from the unrestrained personalities of their stars, which leads to a lack of focus and consistency in the humor. By giving the actors their dialog and firmly controlling the flow of the jokes, Game Night feels like something of a rarity.

The real strength is how well the story is handled. It sounds like just another comedy where average people inadvertently find themselves in extraordinary circumstances that place them squarely out of their depth, and for the most part it is. However the well-crafted twists, turns, and scenarios give it an extra exciting edge. It's also the first mainstream R-rated film that actually knows how to handle guns and danger in ways that don't just feel excessive or unnecessary. I wasn't a huge fan of the subplot about the core protagonist's struggle with having a baby as it really added nothing to the mix and felt cliché. Luckily, this is the only dramatic sour spot to be found.

The third act twist is a bit much and is where the film (knowingly) jumps the shark into straight out action movie fare. The only other complaint I have is surprisingly Rachel McAdams. You can tell this isn't the kind of movie she's used to doing as she has a hard time playing such a comedic role without completely hamming it up every time she's forced to be funny (which is all the time). Everyone else onscreen naturally slips into the style. Her not so much.

Game Night's inconsistencies can't keep it from being a laugh riot though. There is a nearly constant stream of incredibly clever gags to be found throughout. Some of the lines are pure gold and totally quotable. You won't find any of the overused chuckle tricks every other comedy with an R rating is using these days like accidental hardcore drug use or anything like that. No, this movie is original, inventive, and oh so fresh. So definitely give it a watch.

7.8/10
imthenoobApr 25, 2018
The premise is unique and very original, The cast does a great job at seeming like genuine friends rather than actors pretending to be friends and there's plenty of enjoyable humour throughout that makes it well worth watching. The ending isThe premise is unique and very original, The cast does a great job at seeming like genuine friends rather than actors pretending to be friends and there's plenty of enjoyable humour throughout that makes it well worth watching. The ending is kind of meh but I'd still recommend watching it. Expand
EludiumQ36May 20, 2018
This is a fun little romp, but don't overthink the twist/reveals, that'll ruin it for you. And I can't be the only one who thinks Jesse Plemons (cop neighbor) looks like a weird younger brother of Matt Damon, so funny.
WaelJun 5, 2018
I really liked this movie. Even though it is a little what you'd describe in french as "tiré par les cheuveux", I think that that is what makes it truly funny: the story takes too many twists and turns, and is very exaggerated at times, whichI really liked this movie. Even though it is a little what you'd describe in french as "tiré par les cheuveux", I think that that is what makes it truly funny: the story takes too many twists and turns, and is very exaggerated at times, which adds a flavor to its comedy. The jokes are not cliché, and the acting is effortless (I never thought I'd laugh this much at Rachel McAdams), and it really has some hilarious moments. Even though it could use a slightly shorter running-time, I'd recommend "Game Night" to anyone who wants to laugh something out. Expand
Compi24Mar 6, 2018
With John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein's "Game Night," you're not only given one of the funniest big Hollywood comedies in recent years, but you're also given a suprisingly well-directed action romp, and a fun little ode to DavidWith John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein's "Game Night," you're not only given one of the funniest big Hollywood comedies in recent years, but you're also given a suprisingly well-directed action romp, and a fun little ode to David Fincher's "The Game" as well. It's got a killer, laugh-a-minute pace, a talented cast (spearheaded by Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams and rounded out by a shockingly hilarious supporting appearance from Jesse Plemons), and a distinct, visually stimulating take on the matters at hand, ultimately elevating the overall experience to one I won't soon forget. Expand
BrianMcCriticMay 27, 2018
A comedy that pretty much works from the start because of some good chemistry between the characters. There weren't many moments where I was overcome with laughter but throughout the comedy hits in more subtle ways. B+
marcmyworksMay 13, 2018
Not as bad as I thought it would be but it won't be making any top 10 lists any time soon. Overall good cast, moments of entertainment but nothing to write home about.
Xyled777Jun 2, 2018
I actually really enjoyed the movie. There were some very intelligent hilarious moments that had me and the wifey belly laughing. Of course I give it 2 thumbs up for not showing any porn! Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams did a superb andI actually really enjoyed the movie. There were some very intelligent hilarious moments that had me and the wifey belly laughing. Of course I give it 2 thumbs up for not showing any porn! Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams did a superb and convincing job. The story was very enjoyable. Loved it! Expand
bfoore90Mar 7, 2018
"Game Night" is probably one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a few years. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play couple who enjoy the titular times with a group of friends. One nite's event, this time involving Bateman's ultra successful"Game Night" is probably one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a few years. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play couple who enjoy the titular times with a group of friends. One nite's event, this time involving Bateman's ultra successful brother turns wrong, resulting in a very entertaining, fast paced and flat out funny comedy. Expand
jimmywalterMay 29, 2018
I was entertained and liked the characters. Occasionally, it tried to be serious about relationship problems - and then it faltered. Plenty of twists and laughs.
43in2014Mar 11, 2018
The short review: An action comedy with lots of laughs and twists, but with a not entirely realistic plot.

Related media: There are no related films or books. What's it like?: Jason Bateman's and Rachel McAdams's husband and wife

Related media: There are no related films or books.

What's it like?: Jason Bateman's and Rachel McAdams's husband and wife characters love game nights (involving board games), hosts them and are very competitive at them. Bateman's character's brother (Kyle Chandler) return from overseas, hosts one game night where he raises the bar by including a pretend-kidnapping-find-the-clues game. However, things soon get out of hand and it becomes unclear which is reality and which is pretend. A comedy.

Pros: 1) There are many funny and silly moments that made my laugh out loud.

2) The film is rather surprising and unpredictable.

3) There is great chemistry between Bateman and McAdams and between the two other couples.

Cons: 1) There is quite a bit of gun violence and blood that made some moments too tense. It is an R-rated film though.

2) The film has a plot that strings together a series of events which are unlikely to follow one another, so that's not very plausible then. How would the the different age groups rate it?

Children: (This is an R-rated film)
Teens: Good
Young adults: Good
Medium age adults: Good
Old adults: Average

Rating: 4/5 (no half scores). It's worthwhile to pay to watch it in the cinema.
section20mi6Jun 17, 2018
Twisty and hilarious, Game Night is simply a delight to watch for those seeking a combination of thrill and comedy.
TheFilmFanaticApr 20, 2018
Game Night is a smart, layered action comedy that boasts a well-written, hilarious story. With great underlying themes and some phenomenal performances, this is definitely one night NOT worth missing.
AcaciaFeb 24, 2018
This is a very fun movie. Lots of great laughs and a great cast. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams are perfect as suburbanites who get together with friends on a regular basis to play games. They are both very competitive and Bateman’sThis is a very fun movie. Lots of great laughs and a great cast. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams are perfect as suburbanites who get together with friends on a regular basis to play games. They are both very competitive and Bateman’s character gets stressed out when his brother comes to town. Always competing with each other, Kyle Chandler is perfect as the jerky brother who takes every opportunity to put down his little brother. He hijacks their game night and thus begins a chain of crazy events that twist and turn and provide lots of laughs. Expand
moviecritic68Mar 28, 2018
I love original comedy screenplays. This film falls right into that file. I'm shocked at any negative rating given to this film. Just a good ole fun-filled flick with just enough twists and turns to keep you guessing.
RalfbergsJul 7, 2018
Great movie, funny, interesting idea behind it, maybe a bit reminded me movie The Game as it had a similar plot (but it was less of a comedy than here), but still it was good even though some parts had a bit overexaggerated plot lines.
PipeCApr 26, 2018
A hilarious and surprisingly clever comedy in which the spectator has an assured victory. It opens with a thematic alteration on the production and distribution companies' habitual logos, a technique that shows irrefutable personality andA hilarious and surprisingly clever comedy in which the spectator has an assured victory. It opens with a thematic alteration on the production and distribution companies' habitual logos, a technique that shows irrefutable personality and conviction with the unfolding idea. I keep firm the belief that when a studio uses this sort of visual harmonization denotes full confidence with its audiovisual production because just like Marvel Studios and Universal Pictures, the captivating and playful entries of the classic logos of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros., Davis Entertainment and Aggregate Films are fantastic. A kind of warning 'bout what's to come. A stylish initial move.

As far as the story is concerned, several peculiarities can be highlighted. You're right, it's a banal and fanciful storyline, but it doesn't matter too much when the narrative approach works as it does here, indeed, the risky turns, that the script takes, end up being more laudable because it's a plot that could easily fall ridiculousness, tediousness and predictability broadens its radar with a diabolically twisted game night where physical and emotional comedy complement each other in an exciting way, getting a really strong connection between audience and characters. No one can refute that the story of Mark Perez is sensationally effective in his narrative wit, very few jokes feel false, or out of place, every push-line is sidesplitting and placed at the right time. His screenplay handles an unusual humor range given that it sets up fiercely funny circumstances on such trivial matters as the seminal glands of a stressed man or a woman who cheated on her husband with a supposed Denzel Washington clone or as inherently comical as a bullet extraction or and bloody incident in a room sacredly pristine. "Game Night" works and takes hold on this sort of moments, spilling and developing a series of unreal twists that become delightful as the story goes on. Turning the table-game formula into something so bombastic, enjoyable and disturbing is an example to follow for the upcoming comedies from major studios. God!, such a great time I had with this insubstantial anomaly. What does success — in every sense of the word — depend on a feature film? It'd be thorny to analyze what justifies such a phenomenon, however, one thing is clear: ideal casting choices play a vital role, and here, yes they did. Although many aren't happy with this, Jason Bateman has done so well with comedy, since whenever this man signs one up, miraculously, the result is not a critical garbage. As already happened last year with "Office Christmas Party" and now "Game Night", a film in which he plays a more likable, wisecracking and sincere character. Bateman teams up with "SNL" comedian Rachel McAdams, another American comedy giant. They both have an impressive feeling that was difficult to predict, their scenes as a duo are among the best in the film, a competitive couple that truly amuses the spectator through their nonsense and funny actions. Likewise, the other couples performed by Sharon Horgan, Billy Magnussen, Lamorne Morris and Kylie Bunbury polish with charisma the characters, getting the audience to consider them key pieces in this whodunit, each of them uses an independent humorous category in order to fit their sub-plots together in an appropriate way in the diversity of the narrative, even so they take a little part in the main story. A fundamental component of a satisfactory cinematographic experience that usually takes second place in comedy movies is the soundtrack, however, on this occasion, there was something that caught my attention. It cannot avoid using of certain smash hits — in fact, few — yet Cliff Martinez's compositions combined the traditional resonances of terror, drama, and action to produce an explosive, exciting, and peculiarly special score, given that, personally, he got to show hilarity coming from the images to be consistent with the sound accompaniment going from car chases to a frantic hunt throughout an onerous mansion, an unexpected finding. Hilarious, fast-paced and unexpectedly twisted, "Game Night" by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein is the perfect choice for a day of good studio films, a work that appeals to comical visual and narrative without warning, providing a courageous extremely amusing experience. American comedy genre begins 2018 with the right foot thanks to Warner Bros. Pictures' latest incursion. Hopefully, this pic will not only be a money magnet because it's a fresh proposal, which is expected to serve as a model to follow, not to copy, for all its competitors, which must roll the dice strongly, given that Kevin Tsujihara's production studio is winning the game.
ElofsonMay 20, 2018
Two words: Silly, dumb. Perhaps really funny for 10 year-olds.
All the people are idiots. Most of the actors overacted, but Rachel McAdams was the worst, overacting terribly.
EpicLadySpongeJul 26, 2018
Game Night isn't the best idea I have ever seen that actually works. If I have to praise something that Game Night achieved, it's that the film attempted to avert being in the horror genre all together. It thankfully works as it is withoutGame Night isn't the best idea I have ever seen that actually works. If I have to praise something that Game Night achieved, it's that the film attempted to avert being in the horror genre all together. It thankfully works as it is without being in the horror genre, but the only flaw with it is that it can purposefully drag itself for quite some time during the film. I wish we have more films like Game Night if Game Night ever fixes its draggy length problems. Expand
TopCatUKMay 9, 2018
Very easy watching and enjoyable film. A well crafted script for a great cast make this a good crime/comedy genre film. Some good laughs and an exciting story keep you engaged all the way through. Don’t miss game night. BY
PurguinsMar 9, 2018
Game Night is a mediocre comedy movie that overused the practice of creating willing suspension of disbelief. This technique can only make something enjoyable as long as it is not overly-surreal. Too many times in Game Night where I found theGame Night is a mediocre comedy movie that overused the practice of creating willing suspension of disbelief. This technique can only make something enjoyable as long as it is not overly-surreal. Too many times in Game Night where I found the movie to be stupid rather than hilarious. Expand
AproxxAug 5, 2018
I mix between "The Game" with "The man that knew too little", with sparks of "The Naked Gun". I usually dislike Bateman, but with Rachel McAdams is way easier to be good. The script is great, you have every kind of joke possible and most landI mix between "The Game" with "The man that knew too little", with sparks of "The Naked Gun". I usually dislike Bateman, but with Rachel McAdams is way easier to be good. The script is great, you have every kind of joke possible and most land perfectly. Expand
The3AcademySinsApr 4, 2018
Game Night is your typical color-by-numbers big budget Hollywood comedy. Yet, in spite of that, there are some really enjoyable moments. The action swings between comedic and tense quite well, and the transitions between scenes are veryGame Night is your typical color-by-numbers big budget Hollywood comedy. Yet, in spite of that, there are some really enjoyable moments. The action swings between comedic and tense quite well, and the transitions between scenes are very inventive. The cast all give good performances. The script does have a few distracting plot holes, and sometimes the comedy falls completely flat. It's overall a safe, fun movie. Expand
Canucklehead83Mar 17, 2018
Just a good laugh out loud action comedy that Jason Bateman has cornered the market in as of late.
thedaywalkerMay 1, 2018
This is a very funny movie, i had a very good time watching this, it does justice to some characters, something that comedy movies usually forget to do. Very funny script, with of course some lazy jokes written. Jason Bateman and RachelThis is a very funny movie, i had a very good time watching this, it does justice to some characters, something that comedy movies usually forget to do. Very funny script, with of course some lazy jokes written. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams are great in it, and the supporting cast does really well. It got a bit messy towards the end, they kind of complicated a nice plot with unnecessary twists, but nothing to bad that ruined the movie Expand
fachrulfebrianMay 20, 2018
I'm laughing from the beginning until the end, and this movie has unexpected story..
DubeauMay 20, 2018
Game Night was a pleasant comedy. The story is funny and dramatic with some fair actions. The jokes are somewhat subtle and embedded into the characters behaviours. The acting was amazing all the way around. The actors carry this story. ThereGame Night was a pleasant comedy. The story is funny and dramatic with some fair actions. The jokes are somewhat subtle and embedded into the characters behaviours. The acting was amazing all the way around. The actors carry this story. There is a bit of holes and not too realistic events, but it's easily forgettable. Not a family movie, it's for adult. I give it a 73%. Didn't expect much from it and was surprise by the quality. Expand
MallRat15Mar 1, 2018
Surprisingly very entertaining and funny. When I heard this was coming out I had low hopes for sure. A very cleverly written story with some twists and turns that keep you on edge. Great casting as all characters are very well done. JasonSurprisingly very entertaining and funny. When I heard this was coming out I had low hopes for sure. A very cleverly written story with some twists and turns that keep you on edge. Great casting as all characters are very well done. Jason Beatman and Kyle Chandler are the standouts in my eyes. A surprisingly good time at the movies and it will keep you laughing through the entire run time. Expand
amheretojudgeFeb 28, 2018
and how were we supposed to know that..

Game Night As the premise guides you, the feature walks till the end on just an idea for 100 minutes holding the audience tightly onto the screen and delivers what was more than promised. A plot like
and how were we supposed to know that..

Game Night

As the premise guides you, the feature walks till the end on just an idea for 100 minutes holding the audience tightly onto the screen and delivers what was more than promised. A plot like such can only go certain way and the creators being aware of it uses it perfectly not making it all look like a hoax and justifies the whole track by focusing on the characters reasoning and development that proves out to be the strength of the feature later on. John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein have definitely matured themselves as directors on screen but in here the writer, Mark Perez is the game changer for it is written smartly and explicitly that easily helps the audience settle into it. Jason Bateman is as always hilarious in its role but surprisingly so is Rachel McAdams; in fact she is even better and among other good supporting cast like Kyle Chandler and Jess Plemons, the feature is safe under performance level. Game Night is not your same old dull comedy-gone-wrong genre, in fact it is quite like an episode of sitcom that offers enough room for the character and actors to fill in their input along with hilarious yet smart writing that enfolds in each phases as it ages on screen keeping the audience on the edge of the seat.
FatalBrushMar 31, 2018
"Game Night" is a fast paced, funny, entertaining and diverse movie. I enjoyed the little details in the cinematic and the story was a great mix of action and comedy. Maybe a more profound plot would have made this a 10/10 movie for me,"Game Night" is a fast paced, funny, entertaining and diverse movie. I enjoyed the little details in the cinematic and the story was a great mix of action and comedy. Maybe a more profound plot would have made this a 10/10 movie for me, however, for a comedy film it's something quite refreshing. Expand
jackronnerFeb 25, 2018
Need a good laugh? I did, and I got it in spades with "Game Night". Intelligent and clever, with more movie-goers in stitches than a Sat. night ER. Never lets up. Whew. Still chuckling sitting at home. Haven't laughed so much or so loud in years.
DanniVeDitoMar 1, 2018
If you were looking for some unpredictable twist in the end or maybe a script that would blow your mind, well this might not be your best choice.
But if there's one thing I'm sure about is that I haven't laughed to tears for a long time until today. Jokes were really smart, and really well thought. Most of them related to couple life. It really exceeded my expectations.
IusedtobeacatMar 7, 2018
I'm not generally a fan of comedy flicks the once that I end up liking have to be either really good or really hilarious by my standards and I immediately knew from the trailer that I wouldn't like this one but my friend really wanted toI'm not generally a fan of comedy flicks the once that I end up liking have to be either really good or really hilarious by my standards and I immediately knew from the trailer that I wouldn't like this one but my friend really wanted to watch it and it has a high rating on both IMDB and Metacritic as well so I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. Have to say it was rather disappointing. What I didn't like: I don't know what the aim of this movie was and who its meant to be for. The plot is juvenile and the writers seem to think that idiotic characters make for a hilarious movie when it doesn't. The characters were so stupid in fact that I felt sorry for them on more than one occasion, you know how usually in sitcoms you come across that one idiot character that makes those stupid remarks throughout the show. That was virtually every single character in this motion picture. When it comes to its comedic content, this movie didn't make me laugh, I think the audience in the theatre laughed a total of 3 times and all of these times they were laughing at sex jokes which perfectly sums up the humor in this film for me, it's toilet humor mostly. Maybe that is something that people are drawn to but I personally never found it funny. What I liked: The acting was alright. The characters were dumb and the dialogue was stupid but the actors did everything they can with what they had. Of course, the cast was mostly white but we had the token black couple in this movie as well just like every other movie or comedic sitcom that has to include at least one minority in its main cast. Conclusion: I think the director/producers/writers of the film had an overall good idea for this movie but they, unfortunately, plucked the fruits before it was fully ripe. I think had they gave it more time this could have been a fantastic movie, one that relies on more than just cheap sex jokes and has only stupid and creepy characters. Clearly, the majority liked this film so I'm only in the minority here. There is a chance that you'd like it too. Expand
wafflereviewsMar 10, 2018
While it starts off a bit slow, Game Night proves to be (almost) worth the ride. What follows is a satisfactory experience. This movie somehow happens to be predictable and unpredictable at the same time, it's hard to explain but it's true.While it starts off a bit slow, Game Night proves to be (almost) worth the ride. What follows is a satisfactory experience. This movie somehow happens to be predictable and unpredictable at the same time, it's hard to explain but it's true. There are a few really funny scenes, and a great one-shot action scene that was very fun to watch. However, it never tries to be more than an okay comedy film that's entertaining to watch once, maybe twice if it's on the television in about ten years time. Some characters would also get on my nerves a lot, and there are a few missed oppurtunities throughout, and it has its fair share of cringe-worthy moments, as almost any comedy film of this nature does. The biggest praise I can give this film is that it doesn't rely on raunch to make the audience laugh. Sit back, turn your brain off, just have a light, fun time. Expand
AKthaBeastMar 21, 2018
A decent and entertaining movie. Not necessary a comedy movie but had some funny moments in there. Matt Damon look-a-like Jesse Plemons has the best character in the movie. Lot of it is predictable but as far as execution it was done in aA decent and entertaining movie. Not necessary a comedy movie but had some funny moments in there. Matt Damon look-a-like Jesse Plemons has the best character in the movie. Lot of it is predictable but as far as execution it was done in a manner in which you can enjoy it. Expand
JDDallas1May 28, 2018
Was it just me or did it seem ALL (most) of the funny lines were in the trailer? Great cast..but I expected MORE. (also, Jeffrey Wright has a part that makes all of 2-3 mins of movie?..what?! did he owe someone a favor?)
ahmedaiman9999May 14, 2018
Let's begin with the positives. With that said, I think it would be fair to start mentioning what grabbed me from the beginning, and it's the cool direction. The visual style is quite polished and cranky. That wasn't just a mere feast for theLet's begin with the positives. With that said, I think it would be fair to start mentioning what grabbed me from the beginning, and it's the cool direction. The visual style is quite polished and cranky. That wasn't just a mere feast for the eyes, but this cool direction also helped to set up the tone for the movie. That tells us this movie would be a slapstick comedy that shouldn't be taken seriously, but it would also has a touch of dark comedies and some smart jokes. And that's what I got ........ sorta!

The premise itself is superb! Honestly, I am not a big fan of comedy movies, specially new comedies, but the concept of Game Night is what make me insist to watch it.

The movie has some twists and jokes that as smart and genius as its premise. But there are some things that made Game Night a good comedy film but nothing more. The chemistry between the actors is what made these smart jokes work. As when these actors don't appear on screen together, there is almost no joke that hit the mark. That's not just because the dialogue between smaller groups of characters isn't as smart as between the more bigger ones, but also because the minor characters, despite the good performances and the different personalities, aren't interesting at all and just not funny!
Kyle Chandler's character, Brooks, is the only secondary character that I found interesting and very funny, and Kyle Chandler's performance made his character even more interesting. Jason Bateman was okay specially when I compare his performance to McAdams's. She seemed to me as she hated every single joke she said. Alas, her character has some of the best lines and smarter joke of the movie, and Rachel McAdams just ruined almost every joke with her sluggish delivering of jokes.
But as I talk about uninteresting characters and bad performances, I have to mention the actor that has the most annoying character of the movie, and maybe of all movies I've seen in recent times, and his performance that made this character even more annoying and infuriating. Of course, I'm talking about Jesse Plemons and his character Gary, the king of all tedious characters. You know this character that is so weird, creepy and vague that supposed to be funny, Gary is exactly this character, or at least that's what I should have had instead of a character that kept turning me off every time appeared on the screen. And these times aren't few for a secondary character.

Also, after the first act the humor retreated as the comedic set pieces were now and again and half way through the movie they were almost not there. Overall, I liked Game Night but it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

(6.5/10)
GrantD243Apr 25, 2018
Game Night is a comedy about, well, a group of friends who like to get together for game nights. But when one of the main character's brother comes into town and hosts a murder mystery game night at his house, things get crazy. Game Night isGame Night is a comedy about, well, a group of friends who like to get together for game nights. But when one of the main character's brother comes into town and hosts a murder mystery game night at his house, things get crazy. Game Night is an absolute blast of a movie to watch in the theater. I went with a few friends and we laughed a ton, which is usually a good indicator for a comedy movie. It also helped that my friends and I often have game nights and we watch a lot of movies, so the frequent game/movie references really worked for us. There are a few problems with the story and how predictable it is, but isn't that almost always the biggest issue with comedy movies? Don't expect a ton and just watch the movie, and you'll have a fun time. I'll definitely be adding this to my comedy collection when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Expand
zstarkey20Apr 29, 2018
Others in the theatre thought it was laugh out loud funny, I diidn't. However, I was entertained from start to finish.
PinkPandaPowerMay 1, 2018
Entertaining movie, one of the better recent comedies, but not as great as some of you say. Overall fun to watch though.