Miramax Films | Release Date: December 20, 2002
7.6
Generally favorable reviews based on 267 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ScraperJan 3, 2014
Daniel Day Lewis is awesome in Gangs of NY. He really does deliver a sublime performance and crafts a character out of Bill "The Butcher" Cutting. He's sarcastic and funny, brutal and sincere. Just brilliant dimension and pitch. LeoDaniel Day Lewis is awesome in Gangs of NY. He really does deliver a sublime performance and crafts a character out of Bill "The Butcher" Cutting. He's sarcastic and funny, brutal and sincere. Just brilliant dimension and pitch. Leo Dicaprio on the other hand bombs. He's too pretty with his choir boy voice trying to act tough. And act tough he tries the same angry, concentrated look on his face through the whole movie, spouting overly-dramatized narration at times. He's the character we're supposed to be rooting for? He's the good guy? Killl him, Bill! Kill him! I shouted in my brain the entire second half of the movie. And sorry Cameron Diaz. You did not make the leap to fill a serious dramatic role. How appropriate you end up with Leo. A couple of blonde Californians playing 1850's Irish immigrants. You're both too thin-skinned to be believable in my eyes. Scorsese must be in love with the access to high-profilers these days. It's the only explanation. Expand
KevinMFeb 22, 2008
Just about everything that can go wrong with a film goes wrong here. No unifying theme or idea, poor writing and characterization with equally poor acting, terrible use of music (who the hell chose that song to play during the opening Just about everything that can go wrong with a film goes wrong here. No unifying theme or idea, poor writing and characterization with equally poor acting, terrible use of music (who the hell chose that song to play during the opening fight?), and a trite use of the twin towers at the very end. Never at any point in this movie are we offered a single reason to care about it or any of the characters and it seems never once did they ask "why are we even making this film?" It's a purposeless and overrated flop from a very good director. Expand
3 of 7 users found this helpful
deadanothinkJul 25, 2014
And here we go again with this little s h i t of Daniel Day **** Lewis. LEAVE THE CINEMA BUSINESS. YOU'RE USELESS MAN.
Oh and Martin Scorsese, can you do , for only one time, a little bit good movie? PLEASE
MeritCobaApr 21, 2016
As a young kid Leonardo Dicaprio's sees his dad killed by Daniel Day-Lewis in a street squabble between immigrants of all feathers and the natives. Not the Indian natives mind you, but those white dudes born and raised in the US from fathersAs a young kid Leonardo Dicaprio's sees his dad killed by Daniel Day-Lewis in a street squabble between immigrants of all feathers and the natives. Not the Indian natives mind you, but those white dudes born and raised in the US from fathers who stole the country from those other natives a few generations before. Get of my property (that use to be someone elses) is their slogan!
So Dicaprio swears to do Day-Lewis in as a little kid. Just wait until I am older! The movie therefore fast forwards sixteen years into the future to come to a halt around the time of the civil war. We learn that Dicaprio's desire to kill Day-Lewis has not dampened. Has he learned all kinds of usual skills that help progress him and society towards a better goal? Nope of course not: he just knows how to kill people with a knife.

The next two hours then might see interesting things about the historical background of the US in the late 19th century, say the civil war, or about the life of the immigrants, but nope.. it is all about a gang of criminals. The kind that plague society any time in any setting and is filled with thugs, hoodlums, scumbags, crooks, sadists and profiteers and anyone else preying on society. But perhaps that was the message?The US is made by criminals? A country full of sociopaths? The end of the movie seems to imply as much.

It takes Dicaprio around two hours to do in Day-Lewis, which he could have done by gunning the guy down in the first fifteen minutes, but he needs to linger because of reasons of morality. But actually no noble goal is guiding him. It is just bloody revenge that he wants.Get a life dude!

There is some kind of romancing going on between him and Cameron Diaz, which is probably in there just to extend the movie even further for it feels like they just go through the motions. Diaz is a unlikable as the others, only she is female, so maybe that is her excuse.

For my life I can't figure out why anyone would sit through this movie that has such unlikable lurid characters. It almost feels like Goodfellas but with even more abject characters. Perhaps the acting is great, but really, why would you watch two hours of bloody violence, an awkward romance and nothing else? It is just a boring movie about one guy wanting to do in another and taking two hours to do it.