Gangs of New York

7.1

1. LassiterP.
    Jan 2, 2003
    Phillip R. I believe that you missed the point. [Spoilers Omitted] This was a chapter in American history that they do not want us to know about? 98% of the audience never knew this type of NY existed but it did! What we watched was the evolution of barbaric rituals of gang warfare into today's civilized society. Daniel Day-Lewis was so frightening that his co-stars all said that he Phillip R. I believe that you missed the point. [Spoilers Omitted] This was a chapter in American history that they do not want us to know about? 98% of the audience never knew this type of NY existed but it did! What we watched was the evolution of barbaric rituals of gang warfare into today's civilized society. Daniel Day-Lewis was so frightening that his co-stars all said that he remained in character off stage until Gangs was wrapped. He should win the Best Actor Oscar hands down. This is an absolute masterpiece despite the blood and violence. Expand
  2. ConorS.
    Jun 26, 2007
    This is one of Scorsese's finest accomplishments. Though Leo fails to really step it up and deliver, he does fine and hands the spotlight to the far superior (in this film) Daniel Day Lewis, who is fascinating to watch and at the same time chilling. Though he plays the villain, I found myself rooting for him after the first half of the film.
  3. Joseph
    Feb 27, 2007
    Excellent movie. Amazing acting. Original and chaotically beautiful. Gritty and intriguing. You should give this movie a chance unless the only action you enjoy is the standard "action flick."
  4. KimH.
    Jan 7, 2005
    Revealing no holds barred look at how we really came to be as a nation. Pretty much blows a hole in the sanitized history books.
  5. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    There are many words I can say to describe this movie. A small portion of those words would be magnificent, extraordinary, wonderful, excellent, supurb, and great. I thought this film was pretty much great all-around. It has great sets, the writing is crisp, and the acting is very good. I wasn't to taken by Leonardo DiCaprio's potrayal as a young Irish man trying to avenge his There are many words I can say to describe this movie. A small portion of those words would be magnificent, extraordinary, wonderful, excellent, supurb, and great. I thought this film was pretty much great all-around. It has great sets, the writing is crisp, and the acting is very good. I wasn't to taken by Leonardo DiCaprio's potrayal as a young Irish man trying to avenge his father by killing the crime lord and butcher of New York, William "Bill the Butcher" Cutting. Daniel Day-Lewis makes up for DiCaprio's performance and then some. Daniel Day-Lewis's potrayal as Bill the Butcher is excellent, scary and perfect! The other major highlight of the film, besides Day-Lewis's riveting performance, is Martin Scorcese's extraordinary directing. Martin Scorcese has a brilliant vision of the scenery in this film and expresses perfectly on film. I wasn't too crazy about Cameron Diaz's performance. She doesn't deliver a bad performance in the movie at all, but she doesn't deliver a great one either. What can I say? She didn't deserve to be nominated for a Golden Globe Award. This film is for anyone looking to see a fun, wonderfully made, Scorcese flick! Despite popular opinion, Martin Scorsese's best film! Collapse
  6. DaveC.
    Jun 22, 2004
    While the plot and structure leave something to be desired, Gangs Of New York nevertheless offers a rich, vibrant depiction of one of the darker periods of American history. The opening battle in particular is both horrifying and beautiful and and absolutely stomps all over the jittery rubbish in Gladiator which aimed for a similar effect but failed to achieve it. The characterisation and While the plot and structure leave something to be desired, Gangs Of New York nevertheless offers a rich, vibrant depiction of one of the darker periods of American history. The opening battle in particular is both horrifying and beautiful and and absolutely stomps all over the jittery rubbish in Gladiator which aimed for a similar effect but failed to achieve it. The characterisation and narrative might be a little off (we never know much more about Amsterdam Vallon other than the fact that he'd dead set on getting revenge for his father's death and I didn't buy that he could keep his identity hidden from Bill for so long despite giving him his forename) but this is nevertheless highly recommended and one of the best films of 2002, it certainly didn't deserve to be ignored at the Oscars while the overrated Chicago practically swept the board. Expand
  7. Jun 16, 2012
    The movie isn't perfect, but the production design was amazing, and Daniel Day-Lewis really makes the movie with his performance. All in all, I'd say the movie is definitely worth watching.
  8. Jul 4, 2012
    Loved this movie, although moves a bit slow in the beginning to set up the characters. But past that it takes and keeps your attention thanks to Leo and Daniel Day Lewis. This is a bit of a period piece.
  9. Nov 7, 2012
    Gangs of New York is haunting and acted to perfection. Daniel Day-Lewis, especially, is very good here as Bill the Butcher.
  10. StazanS.
    Jan 3, 2003
    The only thing missing is a cameo by De Niro.
  11. LuigiA.
    Mar 10, 2003
    Admittedly there are holes in the movie. But, having said that, if for no other reason, Daniel Day-Lewis' performance is definitely OSCAR material. He steals the show.
  12. jj
    Aug 20, 2003
    Worth watching just for Daniel Day-Lewis' unbelievable performance..
  13. Less_success
    Aug 9, 2006
    I can't believe the way people are hating on this movie. It can't possibly deserve a 0 ranking - that's just silly. I think I like this movie more then a lot of people, but let's get real for a moment, guys. Daniel Day-Lewis and DiCaprio both do a great job in this movie (particularly Day-Lewis). The plot isn't amazing, but it's still enthralling enough to I can't believe the way people are hating on this movie. It can't possibly deserve a 0 ranking - that's just silly. I think I like this movie more then a lot of people, but let's get real for a moment, guys. Daniel Day-Lewis and DiCaprio both do a great job in this movie (particularly Day-Lewis). The plot isn't amazing, but it's still enthralling enough to keep someone interested, even though it is a little too long. It's not Scorsese's best directed film, but it's still got better direction then 75% of the films made. If you rate this movie a 0, then your rating system is greatly flawed. Expand
  14. EricF.
    Dec 30, 2002
    I believe this was a classic Scorsese movie filled with overwhelming drama, blood, history....and some truth. The large budget and hard work is definitely worth the wait!
  15. ForresterT.
    Jan 4, 2003
    Wow! A must see. Daniel Day-Lewis is superb.
  16. Warren
    Mar 23, 2003
    Spent this weekend watching Gangs and The Pianist to complete the films that are up for the Oscars. Gangs is good but has many holes in its storyline. Daniel Day-Lewis is absolutely brilliant and should be odds on to win Best Actor. Martin Scorsese is the popular choice to win Best Director and he has done an excellent job bringing 1863 New York to life. However, Roman Polanski in Spent this weekend watching Gangs and The Pianist to complete the films that are up for the Oscars. Gangs is good but has many holes in its storyline. Daniel Day-Lewis is absolutely brilliant and should be odds on to win Best Actor. Martin Scorsese is the popular choice to win Best Director and he has done an excellent job bringing 1863 New York to life. However, Roman Polanski in directing The Pianist may have made the best work he will ever direct. The Pianist by far is heads and tails better than any movie that has been made in the last decade. There is no comparison with the Gangs Of New York or any other film. Whether it wins or not everyone should see it. Expand
  17. JennodS.
    Apr 14, 2003
    I love it. Go see it one and all. Yeas it does have holes in it, but there are so many good bits that make up for it....not to mention Daniel Day-Lewis who is superb! Also Scorsese never puts a foot wrong....class!!
  18. JackD.
    Jul 7, 2003
    Overlong but wildly alive and vivid! The amount of detail and life in there is amazing, and well worth watching even at 3 hrs long.
  19. FredM.
    Aug 20, 2003
    Awesome. Daniel Day-Lewis' finest performance.
  20. TonyJ.
    Dec 22, 2002
    Despite its flaws, the best film of the year. "Gladiator" looks like a silly childrens' morality tale in comparison. The complexity and honesty of the fluidly realized ideas in this film are without a match in today's simplified world of film.
  21. SamB.
    Dec 20, 2002
    This film is timeless and epic. The reviewers no not what they are talking about. This film rightly should sweep the Oscars.
  22. RobertH.
    Dec 24, 2002
    An absolute masterpiece that will keep you riveted to the edge of your seat in nervous anticipation. Daniel Day-Lewis should earn an Oscar nomination for his role of Billy The Butcher. The rest of the cast is also outstanding. Destined to become a classic.
  23. AmberP.
    Dec 31, 2002
    This is an absolutely powerful portrayal of NYC in the 19th century. We certainly did not learn about this in our history books and for good reason. Once you see the movie, if you are like me, you will run to your history books to learn more. Daniel Day-Lewis wins the Oscar for Best Actor hands down. He captivates the screen as Billy The Butcher. Go see it today!
  24. AaronL.
    Dec 30, 2002
    Although this is a very good film (and sure to be a big Oscar fave), the film is far from perfect. I enjoy big, epic, 3 hour films, but this one is about 1/2 hour too long. There were many places cuts could have been made - especially the love story portion with a horribly miscast Cameron Diaz. Also, the film seemed too big for such a thin revenge plot. And to cover up for this, the film Although this is a very good film (and sure to be a big Oscar fave), the film is far from perfect. I enjoy big, epic, 3 hour films, but this one is about 1/2 hour too long. There were many places cuts could have been made - especially the love story portion with a horribly miscast Cameron Diaz. Also, the film seemed too big for such a thin revenge plot. And to cover up for this, the film is loaded with incredible, detailed visuals to keep you occupied. However, my eyes were glued to the screen whenever Daniel Day-Lewis was there. Could easily be the best actor of the year. A good film begging to be a great film with some time spent in the editing room. Expand
  25. JamesE.
    Jan 1, 2003
    Scorsese's epic tale of a bloody period of New York's history nearly forgotten by the history books is not quite a materpiece, but it is a very impressive work nonetheless. With spectacular cinematics, dynamite acting (particularly from Daniel Day Lewis), and a deep passion from its director, the film manages to overcome a weaker script and dazzle with its scope and splendor.
  26. Meat
    Feb 13, 2003
    As Em would say "why you so mad". Just because someone has a diff opinion about something, doesn't make them "sick, pathetic, or poor". Raise your maturity level and get over yerself. Now, this movie was definitely an Epic and Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely amazing. However, there was WAY too much going on. Just concentrate on the Irish/immigrant gangs (Title) and cut out the Draft As Em would say "why you so mad". Just because someone has a diff opinion about something, doesn't make them "sick, pathetic, or poor". Raise your maturity level and get over yerself. Now, this movie was definitely an Epic and Daniel Day Lewis was absolutely amazing. However, there was WAY too much going on. Just concentrate on the Irish/immigrant gangs (Title) and cut out the Draft riots, Civil War, and slavery issue and the movie would have been a 10. Expand
  27. MikeK.
    Feb 13, 2003
    It is great. I just wish it was more historically accurate. But It was a great movie, and I loved it. I am the consumer, not those cheeseball critics who think their $hit smells like roses. They may have not liked it, but I loved it.
  28. MattL.
    Feb 24, 2003
    The guy who went on about Scorsese trieing to appeal to a hip young audience totally misses the point. All the moves the young, hip brigade of directors have adopted- flashy editing; high, extreme violence, scenes set to poular music, long Steadicam sequences- have been inadvertedly been borrowed off Scorsese, who borrowed it off the French New Wave. WITHOUT SCORSESE, THERE WOULD BE NO The guy who went on about Scorsese trieing to appeal to a hip young audience totally misses the point. All the moves the young, hip brigade of directors have adopted- flashy editing; high, extreme violence, scenes set to poular music, long Steadicam sequences- have been inadvertedly been borrowed off Scorsese, who borrowed it off the French New Wave. WITHOUT SCORSESE, THERE WOULD BE NO TARANTINO. It's THAT simple. As it is, Gangs... is ridiculously flawed, and was obviously shoe-horned by the studios, but this does not detract from the fact that Scorses is the greatest living American director, and there are plenty of bravura sequences to indulge in. If you want a better Scorsese film , rent "Goodfellas" or "Mean Streets". In the meantime, watch this. It certainly has more life in its opening sequence than the entirety of Titanic. Expand
  29. MathewN.
    Mar 24, 2003
    Absolutely breathtaking. The fact that Daniel Day Lewis was robbed of the Best Actor Award made me sick.
  30. LarryG.
    Mar 26, 2003
    Having seen The Pianist and Gangs I would agree that Pianist was the better movie and that Adrian Brody's performance was excellent. Not to detract from Mr. Brody, but Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in Gangs dwarfed all other contenders for Best Actor in this or any other year. In a nutshell he was robbed. I would recommend Gangs if for nothing else than to see his portrayal of Having seen The Pianist and Gangs I would agree that Pianist was the better movie and that Adrian Brody's performance was excellent. Not to detract from Mr. Brody, but Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in Gangs dwarfed all other contenders for Best Actor in this or any other year. In a nutshell he was robbed. I would recommend Gangs if for nothing else than to see his portrayal of Billy The Butcher. His character is bound to become a classic. Expand
  31. AdriaticoM.
    Mar 28, 2003
    Simply a masterpiece! kudos to scorsese and day-lewis!
  32. DelvinD.
    Apr 24, 2003
    I give the movie a 10 for Daniel Day Lewis's performance. He was superb and stood out as heads and tails above all of the actors. He was much deserving of the Best Actor award.
  33. ChuckD.
    Jul 4, 2003
    Beautiful and Daniel Day Lewis' potrayel of Bill the Butcher could be one of the best performances ever
  34. JaredSS
    Jan 2, 2004
    Another excellent film for Scorsese! This makes it 1- Mean Streets, 2- Taxi Driver, 3- Raging Bull, 4- King of Comedy, 5- After Hours, 6- Last Temptation of Christ, 7- Goodfellas, 8- Casino, 9- Bringing Out the Dead, and now 10 stitches to secure the placement of the Filmmaking Hall of Fame patch right on Scorsese's arm!
    Jul 9, 2005
    Shows the chaos of New york around that time, but the movie almost gets itself lost in it. Luckily, it manages to regian its focus in time.
  36. DaveF
    Sep 3, 2005
    Picture that friend of yours who falls asleep during action movies. He's always complaining about the clichés, the watered-down plot, the hackneyed action sequences. Gangs of New York is what that friend might dream up given a Hollywood cast and limitless freedom. I was expecting a gaudy, eye-rolling showcase for Diaz and DiCaprio's pretty faces. Instead I witnessed a Picture that friend of yours who falls asleep during action movies. He's always complaining about the clichés, the watered-down plot, the hackneyed action sequences. Gangs of New York is what that friend might dream up given a Hollywood cast and limitless freedom. I was expecting a gaudy, eye-rolling showcase for Diaz and DiCaprio's pretty faces. Instead I witnessed a down-and-dirty masterpiece with inspired acting, dazzling writing, and bold camerawork. The script doggedly avoids empty-headed clichés, instead inventing classic lines for future copycats. One memorable scene takes place on a body-strewn battlefield in the Five Points. Bill the Butcher, folding a blood-stained knife into the hands of a fallen priest, says with dutiful respect: "you'll need this to cross the river." Even the voice-over work in Gangs is fresh, binding the meaty chaos with barbed-wire eloquence. It's a pity some critics label the movie "indulgent", simply because it dares to sustain virtuoso vision for nearly three hours. We should be so lucky to have this-a Hollywood movie that bleeds when pricked. It is rare to have characters we not only care about, but whose conflicts and relationships are unapologetically human. Here is a conniving monster with a heart, and a hero who becomes his son. And why was it news to some that the film is not 100 percent historically accurate? This is a story. A story that ignites as grisly, glorious nightmare the way only film can. Expand
  37. BlakeJ.
    Mar 11, 2007
    A painfully gruesome and honest portrayal of racism. Daniel Day-Lewis falls into his role so well half the time you will wonder if he is coming for you.
  38. NoahK.
    Dec 19, 2002
    A Film of Epic proportions, Daniel D. Lewis is incredible!
  39. RodgerC.
    Dec 21, 2002
    Simply put, this movie is one of the best movies made in years. The acting is incredible, with performances and characters that rival any of the modern classics. A 69 rating from Metacritic, 5 points high than "Stuart Little 2", is obviously ludicrous and an excellent illustration of Metacritc's flaws.
  40. RajS.
    Dec 23, 2002
    Everyone speaks of this films epic feel. I failed to see that. The film came off as wanting to be epic. The film had some slow spots, but over all, the film pulls off what it's wanting to do.
  41. JeffreyL.Shannon"GoldenAgeManiac!"
    Dec 23, 2002
    To quote Leonard Maltin - He's waited 11 months for something this powerful/superb to move him & this is it! I agree. Being a "MICK!" i'm a wee-bit prejudiced, i reckon' but this is not exactly a flattering portrait of my heritage anyway? & from pt. I saw trailer last yr. knew OSCARS would love-it & will! Not only finally: Scorsese, but a 2nd OSCAR positively going to: *D. To quote Leonard Maltin - He's waited 11 months for something this powerful/superb to move him & this is it! I agree. Being a "MICK!" i'm a wee-bit prejudiced, i reckon' but this is not exactly a flattering portrait of my heritage anyway? & from pt. I saw trailer last yr. knew OSCARS would love-it & will! Not only finally: Scorsese, but a 2nd OSCAR positively going to: *D. DAY-LEWIS in one of cinemas great villian roles! Don't miss last superb-shot? I predict this & "Chicago," to rec. most nods. 10 or more!? But, in the end this film is the title people will hear most, upon opening of the envelopes!!! & U2 prob. snag 1 as well for song. Expand
  42. MarcK.
    Dec 25, 2002
    I'll agree with the reviewer listed on this site from the Austin Chronicle who gave this an "8", and said it's Scorecese's best work in a decade. I don't think 2002 has been a very good year for movies, and while "Gangs" is not a great film, it's very good, and may be the best film of the year (I still have to see a few more highly touted movies!). I'm a I'll agree with the reviewer listed on this site from the Austin Chronicle who gave this an "8", and said it's Scorecese's best work in a decade. I don't think 2002 has been a very good year for movies, and while "Gangs" is not a great film, it's very good, and may be the best film of the year (I still have to see a few more highly touted movies!). I'm a sucker for historical pieces that include great detail (like his earlier film, "The Age of Innocence"), and this film has all that. Daniel Day-Lewis's performance is probably the best male performance I've seen since Malcolm McDowell in "A Clockwork Orange." I'm not sure he'll get the Best Actor Oscar, but he certainly deserves it. Expand
  43. Richard
    Dec 26, 2002
    Sags a bit in the middle, and not everything in it is equally compelling. Day-Lewis is probably still picking scenery out of his teeth, but it's a performance scaled to Scorsese's ambition and there's a lot going on underneath the flashy exterior. DiCaprio is solid if unsurprising, especially when up against one of the strongest supporting casts ever assembled, particularly Sags a bit in the middle, and not everything in it is equally compelling. Day-Lewis is probably still picking scenery out of his teeth, but it's a performance scaled to Scorsese's ambition and there's a lot going on underneath the flashy exterior. DiCaprio is solid if unsurprising, especially when up against one of the strongest supporting casts ever assembled, particularly Henry Thomas and Brendan Gleeson. By turns sweeping and boring, its ambition will get to you, and the ultimate impact of the film is hard-hitting enough to make you scramble for the nearest New York City history book. So bravos all around. Expand
  44. CarolynD.
    Dec 29, 2002
    Cut the love story, add all the other scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor. Cut the U2 song at the end. Otherwise, very fine. Day-Lewis is just great and hilarious.
  45. C.S.
    Jan 11, 2003
    Incredible film. One of the best I've seen. Sarcasm, sybolized by Daniel's hilarious hat, is witty yet bitter. Anti-American. Historical and Honest to the facts.
  46. Z.Goeringer
    Jan 15, 2003
    Great films often are initially misunderstood, and this masterpiece ranks among the greatest misunderstood films of all time.
  47. NolanB.
    Jan 17, 2003
    Bold, brutal, and breath-taking. Day-Lewis sets a new standard for great acting and characterization.
  48. ChrisE.
    Feb 15, 2003
    I think it need be said that anyone who complains about the ending of the movie, specifically the "draft battle", just doesn't understand why this scene was included. The end of this movie just reinforces the rest perfectly. This is New York, did you really think that this insignificant battle meant anything to the rest of New York? Of course not, that is why the end is there. New I think it need be said that anyone who complains about the ending of the movie, specifically the "draft battle", just doesn't understand why this scene was included. The end of this movie just reinforces the rest perfectly. This is New York, did you really think that this insignificant battle meant anything to the rest of New York? Of course not, that is why the end is there. New York, at that time, was facing much larger problems than either Amsterdam or Bill Poole. The ending of this movie was a reality check; perfectly placed in the script by Scorsese. It's a shame that most don't understand the purpose of these scenes. Expand
  49. CJ
    Feb 24, 2003
    Read Chris E. Right on the mark.
  50. JuliaK.
    Aug 22, 2003
    Great movie, lots of history, pretty cool, every person should like it. Lets you see what the world was like.
  51. YoonMinC.
    Sep 28, 2003
    Scorsese has made two kinds of movies; those where he knew the material like the back of his hand and those where he was a fascinated, even overly reverent, outsider. The former kind has been more successful, his movies about the Italian-American organized crime, the neurosis of contemporary NY, or artistic oddballs of any stripe. The films of the latter category include great films such Scorsese has made two kinds of movies; those where he knew the material like the back of his hand and those where he was a fascinated, even overly reverent, outsider. The former kind has been more successful, his movies about the Italian-American organized crime, the neurosis of contemporary NY, or artistic oddballs of any stripe. The films of the latter category include great films such as Age of Innocence and Kundun. It also includes a clunker like Last Temptation. Gangs of NY falls somewhere in between Scorsese's wildest successes and foulest stupidities. Still, it offers a personal and gutsy historical/cultural vision in our age of meek political correctness and deranged popcultural amnesia. The world of Gangs is fascinating, where the divisions among politics, crime, business, cultural identities, etc are fuzzy, when the idea of Americanism was still not clearly established. It's a vision of hell but also a glimpse into a mad social experiment(by whom, who can tell?), a world of 19th century Clockwork Orange reflected thru the labyrinthine prisms of Alice in Wonderland. Nothing quite seems, but everything feels, real. Oddly, the quiet, reflective moments are best by far in a movie promoted mainly for its macho violence. The dance scene is one of the most beautiful, and the many soliloquies of Bill the Butcher played by the magnificent Daniel Day Lewis are sublime smoldering embers of venomous hate and warped wisdom. Dicaprio's brooding performance slithers beneath Lewis's more showy performance like a snake and the inevitable confrontation between the two comes to a grand climax. Expand
  52. SethF.
    Jun 11, 2008
    I felt it was a solid film, up until the end. I felt there were two films going on, and by the time there was the epic battle between Day Lewis and DiCaprio, I felt let down. But Scorsese proves he doesn't have to have the present day to make an effective film. I loved watching it!
  53. FantasyL.
    Dec 23, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant movie of epic proportions that rivets your eyes to the screen and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Daniel Day-Lewis will most certainly receive an Oscar nomination and should be odds on for the Best Actor award. Gangs of NY demonstrates a piece of history that not too many of us are even aware existed. It is a must see movie for all despite the bloody gore and Absolutely brilliant movie of epic proportions that rivets your eyes to the screen and keeps you on the edge of your seat. Daniel Day-Lewis will most certainly receive an Oscar nomination and should be odds on for the Best Actor award. Gangs of NY demonstrates a piece of history that not too many of us are even aware existed. It is a must see movie for all despite the bloody gore and violence. Wow! Expand
  54. ChadS.
    Dec 23, 2002
    Mean Streets. Taxi Driver. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. After Hours. Good Fellas. These are my favorite Martin Scorsese films. It's not fair to hold the man to these impossible standards, but Gangs of New York is a disappointment. It's reminiscent of Batman, in the sense that the villain is much more compelling than the hero. The cinema needs Daniel Day-Lewis. We need Mean Streets. Taxi Driver. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. After Hours. Good Fellas. These are my favorite Martin Scorsese films. It's not fair to hold the man to these impossible standards, but Gangs of New York is a disappointment. It's reminiscent of Batman, in the sense that the villain is much more compelling than the hero. The cinema needs Daniel Day-Lewis. We need Mr. Scorsese too. If not Travis Bickle-good, at least Pesci-in-a-cornfield-good would suffice. It's shocking how more attention went into the production design and art direction than the story. Maybe the master works better with less money. Expand
  55. John
    Dec 27, 2002
    How starved we are for epics -- this one is a masterwork from Scorsese, and one of the year's best.
  56. RyanM.
    Dec 28, 2002
    The hugest, most fascinating, brilliant, dazzling, brawniest, Oscar material of the year, or few years.
  57. MatthieuR.
    Dec 28, 2002
    Very good film that succeeds in presenting a segment of US history that maybe 1-2% of the US is familiar with. While not entirely accurate (it is a movie after all), it does capture the spirit of the time in all its horror and glory.
  58. JeanethaW.
    Dec 31, 2002
    Both DiCaprio and Day-Lewis did a handsome job with this. I really would watch it over and over again.
  59. Aug 22, 2010
    Awesome film, daniel day lewis is incredible, the story on how the world changes around them is epic and well told. The way the film is directed and told is masterful, as well as the brilliant acting on show, the film shows the bigger picture around them and the message it conveys is extremely well done. A fantastic film
  60. Sep 20, 2010
    the greatest thing about gangs is the way the "old way" of corruption ruling the lands slowly collides with the new way of order and reform as the movie slowly winds to a head as it goes on. Against that backdrop is the struggle of young Vallon trying to carry out a vendetta against what he first perceived as a villain in Bill the Butcher, but as time winds on his bad deeds seem to havethe greatest thing about gangs is the way the "old way" of corruption ruling the lands slowly collides with the new way of order and reform as the movie slowly winds to a head as it goes on. Against that backdrop is the struggle of young Vallon trying to carry out a vendetta against what he first perceived as a villain in Bill the Butcher, but as time winds on his bad deeds seem to have reason/meaning behind them and he seems almost honorable in his actions. They both grip to their old ways in the face of the changing landscape, physical and political... the dawning of a new world and as Bills eye closed for the final time as if the curtain finally closed on the ways of the old. This movie is a true cinematic masterpiece and my favorite of all time. Expand
  61. Nov 27, 2011
    Daneil Day Lewis is amazing in this film and is pretty much the only reason worth watching it for. It can be a little dull at times but most of the time its good and entertaining.
  62. May 22, 2012
    Gangs of New York is a vibrant, epic classic. The performances are incredible and the period detailing is unbelievably sumptuous. History lessons have never been so entertaining! Seriously though, Gangs of New York is a movie I never tire of no matter how many times I see it. It's a fantastically directed glimpse into the dark heart of the Union's past. If I were to compile a list of myGangs of New York is a vibrant, epic classic. The performances are incredible and the period detailing is unbelievably sumptuous. History lessons have never been so entertaining! Seriously though, Gangs of New York is a movie I never tire of no matter how many times I see it. It's a fantastically directed glimpse into the dark heart of the Union's past. If I were to compile a list of my favorite top 20 films, this one would probably be on it. Expand
  63. Jan 4, 2011
    Daniel Day-Lewis offers up some of the best acting you'll ever see. This man's performance is amazing; I couldn't believe it when I found out he's not even American! If you happen to be a fan of quality movies and acting and have just not got around to this film- you will really appreciate this. Cameron Diaz and DiCaprio along with the rest of the cast also do a fantastic job. The storyDaniel Day-Lewis offers up some of the best acting you'll ever see. This man's performance is amazing; I couldn't believe it when I found out he's not even American! If you happen to be a fan of quality movies and acting and have just not got around to this film- you will really appreciate this. Cameron Diaz and DiCaprio along with the rest of the cast also do a fantastic job. The story builds over the duration of the movie and you may feel lost for the 1st hour, but pay attention and it all comes together at the end. Expand
  64. Sep 7, 2011
    people saying its "boring" and "bad acting" your'e obviously retarded its a great film the acting the music and everything fits perfectly, the cast is great, especially day-lewis who makes the film with his role as the 'Butcher'
  65. Jun 8, 2011
    Gangs of New York is a pre Civil War film based in, of course, New York. Now, looking at the title of this film, most would think this was a present day gang film in New York with mafias and what not. But it's nothing like that. These gangs are the type of gangs which scrimmaged for food in the city and rely on others to get what they need to survive in the perilous city. The storyGangs of New York is a pre Civil War film based in, of course, New York. Now, looking at the title of this film, most would think this was a present day gang film in New York with mafias and what not. But it's nothing like that. These gangs are the type of gangs which scrimmaged for food in the city and rely on others to get what they need to survive in the perilous city. The story revolves around a man named Amsterdam, whose father was part of a gang called the Dead Rabbits. His father was killed by a gang leader named William Cutting, otherwise known as "Bill the Butcher", who now owns and runs New York. It has been 16 years since Amsterdam's death, and sure enough, Bill still runs the town. The rest follows Amsterdam's life in New York, and his attempts to avenge his father.... Gangs of New York was nominated for 10 Academy Awards, winning none. But to many it was no surprise, for it was extremely close for making the cut for the Razzie's. But I could accept the fact that the film was nominated for Best Picture, for it truly deserved that kind of recognition. The acting within Gangs of New York was more than ordinary. A cast you wouldn't expect to see in a film like this (Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz) all played their very best parts. Leonardo did his average acting, but a little more better than usual. I loved Diaz, for I've never seen her in such a dramatic historic film before, and it was entertaining to see how she coped with it. Then Daniel Day-Lewis also did an exciting performance, although I believe he should've been nominated and won Best-Supporting Actor, instead of being nominated for Best Lead Actor. But the cast I liked best were the supporting actors crew. Meaning, the small cameo or occasional performances by actors, was the best part of all the acting. They added emotional or suspenseful impact to the film, and always made it better. Then, I enjoyed the cinematography. It was also nominated for an Oscar, and it was well nominated. I enjoyed some of the screen shots and single shots. Then I enjoyed the Direction. Of course, who couldn't like Martin Scorsese? He never seems to disappoint the audience, with films ranging from the Godfellas to The Departed, he is one true audience pleaser. But then, here comes the cons of the film. One thing was the opening sequence. It was a very pathetic battle scene, made in the worst way possible. It seemed fake on many levels, and thank god the film got better as it went on. Then the other dissapointing asspect was that it's running lenght was very lengthy, and could've been shortened some. Then the last part was that it was historically inaccurate. Otherwise, it was great. The best part of the film though was the fact that two great problems in New York was going on at the same time. One with the gangs, and another with the populace and the government. It was a great idea to base the story on. And as I end this review, I have to say one thing; Scorsese might be the oldest director out there, but I don't think he or his films will ever die. Expand
  66. Jul 4, 2011
    this is a great movie. i want to watch it again. it was great. the storyline was good. the acting was terrific. Daniel day Lewis gave a great performance. if you didn't like this movie then you don't appreciate history or good quality of work. fantastic movie. perfect score.
  67. Jan 12, 2014
    Again incredible movie by martin scorsese. I really like the setting, which I dont see many times. Also gotta love DiCaprio and Day Lewis their roles and the story keeps you watching, I can only recommend it.
  68. Dec 31, 2011
    Far from Scorsese's greatest films, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, and Goodfellas, Gangs of New York is still a well made film especially in terms of its historical accuracy. In addition to fantastic performances by Daniel Day Lewis and Leonardo DeCaprio, the opening sequence as the gangs go into battle and the final sequence as time passes over New York are by far two of the most splendidlyFar from Scorsese's greatest films, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, and Goodfellas, Gangs of New York is still a well made film especially in terms of its historical accuracy. In addition to fantastic performances by Daniel Day Lewis and Leonardo DeCaprio, the opening sequence as the gangs go into battle and the final sequence as time passes over New York are by far two of the most splendidly done in all of Scorsese's career. Expand
  69. Apr 22, 2012
    My ancestors were in one of the gangs portrayed in this film, I am really proud to see this come to life. I never knew this film existed til just recently.
  70. Dec 9, 2013
    In terms of ranking Gangs of New York as a 'great movie', it does not achieve that. I do not believe, in watching it, that it ever intended to be a purportedly great film. It is very good, as a historical drama film, however. Scorsese does not fail at capturing the idea of The Five Points, the gang warfare, or perhaps most importantly, the political corruption that ran rampant. For all ofIn terms of ranking Gangs of New York as a 'great movie', it does not achieve that. I do not believe, in watching it, that it ever intended to be a purportedly great film. It is very good, as a historical drama film, however. Scorsese does not fail at capturing the idea of The Five Points, the gang warfare, or perhaps most importantly, the political corruption that ran rampant. For all of its faults, it is made up for by representing itself, in a historical term, relatively well. The key selling point to make Gangs of New York a better than film than it might have otherwise been is the ineffable performance of Daniel Day-Lewis. In a career defined by great performances, only his performance as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood rivals his riveting spin on Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting. Adrien Brody in The Pianist won the Academy Award for Best Actor this year, and I do not fault the Academy for selecting him entirely, but I do believe that Day-Lewis was robbed of his most deserving award here. He defines the villain that you love, even though their morals may be flawed. You lose sight of the fact that you are watching an actor during the film, as I see Day-Lewis become Bill The Butcher. The scene in which he sits in the brothel bedroom, discussing Priest Vallon with Amsterdam, is one of the greatly acted scenes in cinematic history, although much of the movie could be attributed with that title. If you are a fan of historical dramas and of great acting performances, I believe that Gangs of New York would pique your interest, and suggest it for you. Expand
  71. Mar 16, 2014
    A bunch of good actors, decent story, interesting time period for a criminal gang movie. Great direction. A bit long (as all of Scorsese), but still totally worth watching.
  72. Jan 7, 2014
    Gangue de Nova York um bom filme porém não o melhor do grande Martin Scorsese que detém em seu currículo filmes melhores mais uma bela produção.
  73. Nov 12, 2013
    Martin Scorsese is a director of astonishing power and Gangs of New York is a movie of astonishing imagination, ambition, and scope. The first fifteen minutes are as dazzling as any images ever put on screen. The rest of the movie veers from brilliant to flawed, but it is unfailingly arresting, provocative, and powerful. The struggle between good and evil is represented at every level,Martin Scorsese is a director of astonishing power and Gangs of New York is a movie of astonishing imagination, ambition, and scope. The first fifteen minutes are as dazzling as any images ever put on screen. The rest of the movie veers from brilliant to flawed, but it is unfailingly arresting, provocative, and powerful. The struggle between good and evil is represented at every level, from the internal struggles within Amsterdam to the massive battles between the immigrants and the natives. Scorsese also puts the combat in Five Points within the context of the riots in New York after the Union began conscripting soldiers. His reach is over-ambitious at times, but he has a sure hand with the narrative and fills each frame with splendid images. After the terrible fighting is over, Scorsese shows us how the city was delivered, in both senses of the word. Superfluous voice-overs and flashbacks are very annoying, Thomas' character is poorly conceived, and Cameron Diaz, though game, is badly miscast. DiCaprio just manages to stay on top of his role, but Day-Lewis gives a career-topping performance of such ferocity that the character almost bursts out of the screen. In the end, a bit slow but great in a sense. Expand
  74. Mar 16, 2013
    Gangs of New York is terrific. Its mix of history, crime, love, and revenge come together to create one of Scorsese's best films. Some would say Gangs of New York drags, but for those who love great storytelling you won't be disappointed.
  75. Mar 16, 2014
    This is one outrageously well acted and violent Scorsese flick (like usual). It really shows gangs back in the mid 1800s in comparison to gangs that we've seen in other Scorsese films. The movie is just an old fashioned revenge film, but done with more style. In terms of the great performances by Leonardo DiCaprio, Camren Diaz, John C. Reilly, etc, Daniel-Day Lewis really stands out andThis is one outrageously well acted and violent Scorsese flick (like usual). It really shows gangs back in the mid 1800s in comparison to gangs that we've seen in other Scorsese films. The movie is just an old fashioned revenge film, but done with more style. In terms of the great performances by Leonardo DiCaprio, Camren Diaz, John C. Reilly, etc, Daniel-Day Lewis really stands out and gives a tremendous oscar nominated performace. This performance of Lewis' is for sure in my top 3 performances from him. He was absolutely incredible and the best thing about this movie. Overall, it's an old fashioned revenge film, with Scorsese's take on old fashioned gangs and will be remembered as one of my favorite Scorsese films. I give it an A+! Expand
  76. Jan 29, 2015
    Se um filme de quase 3: Hrs não te entedia pode apostar que esse filme é excelente como Scarface 1983.
    Gangs of new york é cheio de humor,ação,tensão,suspense e atuações brilhantes de Leonardo DiCaprio,Daniel Day Lewis e Cameron Diaz. Com um roteiro brilhante. Esse é um dos top de Martin Scorcese...
  77. Sep 15, 2013
    Gangs of New York had my eyes glued to the screen as an amazing, stunning, historical piece to Martin Scorcese's filmography, until the final third of the movie where it fell a little flat. The plot twists and smooth storytelling Scorcese is famous for just went into thin air. I don't want to spoil the movie, but after a major scene between Daniel Day-Lewis and Leonardo DiCaprio, the movieGangs of New York had my eyes glued to the screen as an amazing, stunning, historical piece to Martin Scorcese's filmography, until the final third of the movie where it fell a little flat. The plot twists and smooth storytelling Scorcese is famous for just went into thin air. I don't want to spoil the movie, but after a major scene between Daniel Day-Lewis and Leonardo DiCaprio, the movie gets a little banal and dried up until one of the very last dramatic scenes. The pace and the throbbing heart that kept this movie alive just suddenly fails to keep going. The story slows down, and not much happens for a while. Now, don't get me wrong; this "final third" isn't the worst part of a movie I've ever seen. It's just that compared to the rest of the movie, this part lags and is a touch dry.

Other than that, this is a great movie with a talented cast and a great director. The story isn't all that complicated, but Scorcese's great filmmaking talents pull it off and make it interesting. It is for all I can see historically accurate, and it really has the feel of the violence and desperation of that time period. This is officially the second best role of Daniel Day-Lewis, in my opinion. (The first being Lincoln, of course

1. The movie turns choppy in the final third, but it is a monumental achievement nonetheless.
  2. Lacks one thing -- an epic grandeur.
    There is greatness in Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York: titanic acting, violent poetry, moviemaking on a grand scale, a real air of daring. And there is flab in it as well, and confusion.