7.2

1. AmurabiM.
    May 29, 2006
    are you kidding me? is alex proyas joking? or what? is this really serious? or is just an intent of proyas to "prove" other fields? i don´t think so. In this cartoonish film, Proyas (the fabulous creator of "The Crow" and "Dark City") falls in the most disgusting abbyss of great-directors-turned-to-complete-assholes. His script is just a collection of cliches, bad jokes, terribly are you kidding me? is alex proyas joking? or what? is this really serious? or is just an intent of proyas to "prove" other fields? i don´t think so. In this cartoonish film, Proyas (the fabulous creator of "The Crow" and "Dark City") falls in the most disgusting abbyss of great-directors-turned-to-complete-assholes. His script is just a collection of cliches, bad jokes, terribly unfunny gags, predictible writing, horrible lines, and stupid plot. What was he thinking? His portrait of rock&roll life is fake, as fake and poseur as the clothing of the bass player character, just fashion not soul. This film is as the music than the fake band in the movie plays: horrible. His intentions are unclear. I really love the work of Proyas but this is so horrible than his reputation is shaking. I think that this horrible film it must be forgotten, for the audiences for the creators and especially for the director who looks how his body of work (than is exquisite as so short) is damages for a complete stupid movie than tries to be style over substance but that is just a joke. A stupid, bothering and boring joke. (I´m sorry, I´m mexican and I don´t understand the sense of australian humor, is that personal? or the movie is unfunny? than someone explains to me!) Expand

1. Like real indie films, garage bands are by definition rough around the edges, but what separates the true believers from the poseurs is their passion, their commitment -- and not just how cool they look on screen or on stage. A mainstream endeavor tricked out as an indie, Garage Days gives us plenty to look at but no reason to care.
  2. Though the storytelling is a bit lopsided, the slapdash quality is charming overall, and the movie benefits from colorful characters and a couple of hilarious scenes.
    It's a handsome film, and made with verve, but too often the tone wobbles and far, far too many of its jokes hit with a splat.