8.4

1. Feb 9, 2013
    This can easily be our future. I like those science fiction/dystopian movies which show how technology can affect our future in a realistic way. Jude Law's most subtle acting yet. Ethan Hawk was also good. Very emotional and realistic. The low budget did not hurt the movie at all in my opinion. Recommended!
  2. ALF
    Aug 28, 2011
    One of the finest science fiction films to ever hit the screen. It is most certainly in my top five. I think "Noop" needs to watch this again. "No essence." What are you on about?. Of course the essence was there and it was in the quite insipid form of discrimination based on a humans DNA which has already started to some degree and in the film relegates those without perfect DNA to the scrap heap and dead end jobs. It is not to hard to imagine the losses to human civilization if such discrimination had existed a hundred or so years ago. For example, Albert Einstein would have been on the scrap heap. Makes you think doesn't it. An excellent script with superb performances by the cast, particularly Jude Law. Again I find myself wishing I could push the scorer further to the right. 10 out of 10 does not give justice to this superb film. Expand
  3. Dec 26, 2011
    a really under-rated sci-fy film set in a dystopian society. great acting all round , really intriguing premise and excellent set design and cinematography. the only problem i have is how come no one recognizes ethan hawke?, that really bothered me. other than that great film.
  4. Feb 27, 2013
    Gattaca is one of the most beautiful, unique, intelligent and heartbreaking science fiction films of all time. The visual aesthetic, music and acting are all absolutely perfect. The movie's lofty metaphors give it credence beyond mere entertainment and it packs a powerful emotional punch. Gattaca is just simply phenomenal.
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    The movie is just brilliant. Great story great direction.....futuristic retro buildings and cars. And above all great actors.....so underestimated. Definitely a must ... to see
  6. Mar 7, 2013
    Pretentious, long-winded and fantastical. Had to turn it off after 30 minutes. Although 50's science-fiction styles can work (Fallout video games pull it off fantastically), Gattaca can't get it done, all the scenes look drab and the story is implausible due to the unlikeable characters and unbelievable social system they have created.
  7. Oct 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Des films d'anticipation, il y en a eu un bon nombre. Chacun avec un sujet différent et intéressant, mais qui a été souvent gâché par un long-métrage, au final, bâclé. Pour Bienvenue à Gattaca, il est heureux de voir qu'il échappe à ce sort, haut la main. Que pourrais-je bien trouver de mauvais sur ce véritable chef-d'oeuvre (c'est bien le mot adéquat) d'Andrew Niccol? Si l'on veut être pointilleux, on pourrait critiquer légèrement quelques longueurs. Mais là, ça serait être assez dur (et je le suis souvent) envers ce film quasi parfait, au scénario incroyablement intelligent, aux acteurs talentueux, à la direction artistique exemplaire et à la mise en scène splendide qui offre au film une ambiance qui lui est bien spécifique. Bienvenue à Gattaca reste à ce jour le meilleur film d'anticipation qui puisse exister et peut s'en vanter! Expand
  8. Apr 6, 2012
    A good sci-fi movie...I can relate it with Aldous Huxley's a Brave New World, which is one of my favourite books ever. Ethan Hawkes and Uma Thurman's performances were excellent. My favourite, however, was Jude Law. Good to see him in that role. I highly recommend it. Not an excellent film, but certainly a good one.
  9. Oct 18, 2012
    Every time I meet some self proclaimed "movie buff" who has never seen this movie I find myself shaking my head in amazement. This gem of a film not only paints a very intelligent picture of our near future, but also succeeds in telling a truly beautiful story. Everything from the performances, to the socially relevant themes, to the wonderful soundtrack, combines to make this one of the greatest sci fi films of all time. Expand
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    Movies in the future are always strange to watch but this one is quite exceptional. The people appeared to have limited personalities but the story is perfect for a science class.
  11. Nov 28, 2012
    Rich with ethically and scientifically complex thematic material, "Gattaca" not only provides a satisfying narrative, but a thought-provoking one.
  12. Dec 16, 2012
    Intelligent, thought provoking science fiction drama that works because of it's meticulous details accompanying an inventive, plausible screenplay with impressive performances by a stellar cast. In the future, society has been categorized by genetically inferior humans (ones whose lives have already been determined by genetic engineering), or the normal under-classed human. whose fate is determined by knowledge and education. A genetically inferior man Vincent (Hawke) assumes the identity of a superior one (Law) in order to achieve his dream of space travel. Presents a variety of weighty, intriguing topics for introspection. For additional reviews visit http://www.rottentomatoes.com/member/Nesbitt10 Expand
  13. Jan 9, 2013
    When I was initially exposed to this film in biology class at fourteen or so, it struck a very deep chord within me. It championed the ideals of perseverance, discipline, and overcoming societally-imposed limitations. It dealt heavily with identity, and the repercussions of eugenics screening, genetic discrimination, and transhumanism. With a talented cast, well-written dialogue, and a moving score, Gattaca is an inspiring and touching film that everybody should see at least once. Expand
  14. Dec 1, 2013
    Great soundtrack and acting. A couple points in the movie where you roll your eyes but the plot is still strong and engaging. The "follow your dreams" theme has been implemented to death already by other movies but this one really did the idea justice. Very motivating and heartwarming. It's a 7.5 but the lack of attention it gotmakes me want to help it out and lend it an 8
  15. Jan 29, 2014
    Brilliant in every way. This truly reflects the modern instability of humanity and our obsession with perfection. This is by far one of the best movies of all time.
  16. MSY
    Jan 18, 2014
    One of the best science fiction films ever made. It excels where many other science fiction movies falter and in my opinion, this movie is up there with Carpenters The Thing and Alien. The story is original and the acting superb, it got everything right. An underrated gem.
  17. Mar 30, 2014
    I am not exaggerating when I say Gattaca is he most underrated and unappreciated movie of the last century. Andrew Niccol has crafted a truly beautiful, intelligent and poetic film, accompanied by Michael Nyman's stunning score, it just gets better and better with age. Thurman, Hawke and Law are painfully beautiful and al together wonderfully compelling. Part sci-fi, murder mystery and film noir carefully rolled into one, at it's core lies a simple story about the redemptive power of love. Practically ignored by critics, cinema goers and film buffs upon it's release, one day it may receive the respect and adoration it deserves. Expand

Gattaca may be all done up in new-fangled notions, but underneath all the guff about designer babies, it rests on a notion that was a staple of the original "Star Trek" series.
    The moody images and Michael Nyman's score aren't enough to salvage this banal 1997 science fiction story.
  3. Andrew Niccol wrote and directed this intelligent and suspenseful science-fiction drama featuring strong performances by Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Alan Arkin, and Gore Vidal.