5.6

1. Aug 26, 2010
    Gus Van Sant's minimalist, non-narrative "Gerry" is a film that needs no narrative direction - it's a movie about being lost, and as a viewer you have the choice to become lost with it (watching it in isolation might help). However, if you find you cannot do that, it becomes little more than an endurance test - one that you are likely to lose.
  2. Feb 17, 2012
    I gave it 1 point because it did one thing well; it made me feel exactly what the characters were feeling. Unfortunately, what the characters felt was lost, desperate and at some points in intense pain.
    It doesn't have any metaphors or philosophies to analyse because it has fewer words in the script than most films have on the back of the DVD box.
    If you like long, silent, beautiful views
    of desert scenery feel free to try this, as it's all you'll get. Though you could always just go on the Internet, search for a photograph of a desert and stare at that for 2 hours for much the same effect. Expand
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    Uninteresting and not engaging. I usually don't have a problem with films that are "slow" but this film isn't slow in the way that it takes a while to get into it's "slow" in the way that it's boring and you never get into it. It's not all around terrible it's just not very good.
  4. Jun 23, 2014
    Gerry was a surprise for me. I Absolutely LOVED this movie as not much was said and the whole scenario unraveled inside ones head. Truly arthouse cinema. I cant believe Hollywood got this one right. I believe the people who didnt care for this movie probably have too much going on inside their own heads and cant relax into the true essence of being lost in the desert. Well done Casey Affleck and Matt Damon ! ! ! ;~), Expand

1. A gorgeously shot endurance test that is impossible to get through on anything less than a full night's sleep and a double shot of espresso.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Defiantly uncommunicative picture.
  3. Gerry is ragingly bad art that contributes to a definition of independent film as something no one would want to sit through.