6.9

1. Jun 16, 2011
    Stunning photography, fine, understated performances for a brilliantly subtle and credible story. Stunning photography and lighting. And some should not speak for the whole audience, I am sure many don't feel they wasted time waiting for "the lame reveal." I thought it was a fine wrap up, but the journey is so lovely, it hardly matters by then. My only complaint is an unnecessarily longStunning photography, fine, understated performances for a brilliantly subtle and credible story. Stunning photography and lighting. And some should not speak for the whole audience, I am sure many don't feel they wasted time waiting for "the lame reveal." I thought it was a fine wrap up, but the journey is so lovely, it hardly matters by then. My only complaint is an unnecessarily long sidetrip regarding the old preacher friend. It could've been done quicker and the movie would've been stronger by losing ten minutes or so. Absolutely authentic sets, lighting, costumes, and accents. Did I mention the stunning photography? Expand
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    Best movie I have seen this year by far. And, yes, that includes Inception, which I hated. Bill Murray and Robert Duvall play, possibly, their best roles ever.
  3. Sep 17, 2010
    I bought it. Made me cry. Made me laugh. And it was "true". Sure, there was a microphone cable, sure, the actor was and wasn't there in the background in one shot. So what? Was that what I was looking at and thinking about? I enjoyed what they enjoyed, making a movie together. Wonderful experience.
  4. BrookeH.
    Jul 30, 2010
    Very affecting movie. It will be impossible to forget Robert Duvall's performance.
  5. Aug 29, 2010
    A spectacular, dark and funny film, with rich performances, and beautiful visuals. What more could one ask for in a film? Robert Duvall delivers one of his most compelling performances, and Bill Murray has another briliant arthouse film in his Filmography. The director, despite being a freshman, carries out a very specific, and stylistic vision, which i hope he retains in future films.
  6. Sep 6, 2010
    Yesterday I saw "Inception" and afterwards posted a review on this web site. My score for the film is not as important (I gave it an "8") as the fact that the film had an overall User Score of 8.4 with comments like "the best movie I have ever seen" and "a total mind f**k"" while "Get Low" has a score of only 7.7. While I enjoyed "Inception" (I invite you to check out my review to seeYesterday I saw "Inception" and afterwards posted a review on this web site. My score for the film is not as important (I gave it an "8") as the fact that the film had an overall User Score of 8.4 with comments like "the best movie I have ever seen" and "a total mind f**k"" while "Get Low" has a score of only 7.7. While I enjoyed "Inception" (I invite you to check out my review to see why), my evaluation was based on the things that, to me, make a movie noteworthy and having my mind f**ked over by an incredulous, hard to follow story and state of the art visual effects are not on the list. "Get Low", on the other hand, has the things I look for in a film such as a interesting story about 3-dimensional believable characters that I care about with actors portraying them in memorable performances. It also has heart. I realize that "Inception" is a film that appeals to a wider, and certainly younger, audience demographic than "Get Low", but this is unfortunate. Come Academy Awards time, "Inception" is certain to be nominated (and even win) for the gimmicks it provides audiences in its tricky story, inventive direction and awesome special effects, but "Get Low" will get its nods as well, not for being the movie flavor of the year, but rather a well made film of a story with humanity. Thanks to Director Aaron Schneider, Writer Chris Provenzano, Actors Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray, Lucas Black et al. for a wonderfully inspiring and captivating film. While there is a need for films like "Inception" in the art of film making, hopefully there will always be a place for movies like "Get Low" as well. Collapse
  7. Sep 19, 2010
    This is a great movie. Every actor is right on their game, the story is gripping and the atmospherics are pitch perfect. Bill Murray never disappoints! Younger viewers might not appreciate the methodical unfolding of plot, development of characters and establishment of the setting, but there are some gunshots and other action treats for the millenial crowd.
  8. May 15, 2011
    Not what I thought it would be, but that's okay. This is a performance driven film that is so crammed full of talent it's crazy. The element that immediately sticks out for me is the wonderful photography throughout, but that's my obsession. I would probably have to watch this movie again, now that I have come to grips with what this film is not, to feel the full effect of it. The plot isNot what I thought it would be, but that's okay. This is a performance driven film that is so crammed full of talent it's crazy. The element that immediately sticks out for me is the wonderful photography throughout, but that's my obsession. I would probably have to watch this movie again, now that I have come to grips with what this film is not, to feel the full effect of it. The plot is elegantly simple, and the script is reserved, and allows the performers to blow our socks off. There is room for improvement no doubt, but it is difficult to know where and how those improvements could be employed without doing harm to the charms this film does possess. I would have been nice if the party had been more fun. That would have been the pay off for all the water the viewer must carry in this film, and would have definitely endeared us more to Robert Duval's impenetrable character. More of Bill Murray is ALWAYS a good thing too... Expand
  9. Oct 3, 2010
    Robert Duvall is at his crustiest as a 40-year hermit who decides to throw a funeral party so he can hear what people have to say about him. Bill Murray turns in an amusing performance as the shifty funeral director and Sissy Spacek is sweet and touching as a woman from the past. The lighting is lovely throughout and the period styling is attractive. The solid performances, capableRobert Duvall is at his crustiest as a 40-year hermit who decides to throw a funeral party so he can hear what people have to say about him. Bill Murray turns in an amusing performance as the shifty funeral director and Sissy Spacek is sweet and touching as a woman from the past. The lighting is lovely throughout and the period styling is attractive. The solid performances, capable screenplay and quiet direction combine to make this an effective, but not particularly memorable character study. Expand
  10. Mar 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A wonderful character driven tale featuring two of the best actors alive today. This movie would be a 10 all time great film if it were a few minutes shorter. What does that mean? The last scene in the movie is so awful that it is mind blowing. I would HIGHLY recommend anyone who has not seen this movie yet to stop the movie at the end of the scene where everyone rides away from Felix's in the hearse. The next, and final, scene of the movie will completely destroy the feel/emotional depth, subject you to terrible music (in a film with excellent music overall), and generally ruin everything. The clearly tacked on afterthought of a last scene is either some sort of joke or was added to prevent audiences from having to think on their own. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT WATCH THE LAST SCENE. If I could unwatch that last scene "Get Low" would be, without a doubt, my favorite film of 2010. Expand
  11. STH
    May 19, 2011
    As usual, Robert Duvall was great! Lucas Black, Bill Murray and Sissy Spacek were terrific as well.
  12. Oct 15, 2012
    Sissy Spacek she is a legend One of The Best Actress in history of hollywood. Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray lend their mega-watt talents to a undemanding movie. Beautifully shot but let down by an underwhelming final act.

Though the story sometimes wanders into hazy, corny sentiment, its protagonist (called Felix Bush, which was apparently a nickname or alias of Breazeale's) is vivid, enigmatic and unpredictable.
    Get Low is deftly played, and it rarely mislays its ambling charm, but what a forbidding fable it could have been if the truth about Felix Bush, rather than emerging into sunlight, had slunk back into the woods.
  3. The period details - the cars, the clothes, the old storefronts along Main Street - are attentively described. But it's Duvall, spooky, sly, and sad, who makes all the props and the plot twists seem real.