6.9

1. Jun 16, 2011
    Stunning photography, fine, understated performances for a brilliantly subtle and credible story. Stunning photography and lighting. And some should not speak for the whole audience, I am sure many don't feel they wasted time waiting for "the lame reveal." I thought it was a fine wrap up, but the journey is so lovely, it hardly matters by then. My only complaint is an unnecessarily long sidetrip regarding the old preacher friend. It could've been done quicker and the movie would've been stronger by losing ten minutes or so. Absolutely authentic sets, lighting, costumes, and accents. Did I mention the stunning photography? Collapse
  2. Aug 20, 2010
    Best movie I have seen this year by far. And, yes, that includes Inception, which I hated. Bill Murray and Robert Duvall play, possibly, their best roles ever.
  3. Aug 29, 2010
    A spectacular, dark and funny film, with rich performances, and beautiful visuals. What more could one ask for in a film? Robert Duvall delivers one of his most compelling performances, and Bill Murray has another briliant arthouse film in his Filmography. The director, despite being a freshman, carries out a very specific, and stylistic vision, which i hope he retains in future films.
  4. Sep 17, 2010
    I bought it. Made me cry. Made me laugh. And it was "true". Sure, there was a microphone cable, sure, the actor was and wasn't there in the background in one shot. So what? Was that what I was looking at and thinking about? I enjoyed what they enjoyed, making a movie together. Wonderful experience.
  5. Sep 6, 2010
    Yesterday I saw "Inception" and afterwards posted a review on this web site. My score for the film is not as important (I gave it an "8") as the fact that the film had an overall User Score of 8.4 with comments like "the best movie I have ever seen" and "a total mind f**k"" while "Get Low" has a score of only 7.7. While I enjoyed "Inception" (I invite you to check out my review to see why), my evaluation was based on the things that, to me, make a movie noteworthy and having my mind f**ked over by an incredulous, hard to follow story and state of the art visual effects are not on the list. "Get Low", on the other hand, has the things I look for in a film such as a interesting story about 3-dimensional believable characters that I care about with actors portraying them in memorable performances. It also has heart. I realize that "Inception" is a film that appeals to a wider, and certainly younger, audience demographic than "Get Low", but this is unfortunate. Come Academy Awards time, "Inception" is certain to be nominated (and even win) for the gimmicks it provides audiences in its tricky story, inventive direction and awesome special effects, but "Get Low" will get its nods as well, not for being the movie flavor of the year, but rather a well made film of a story with humanity. Thanks to Director Aaron Schneider, Writer Chris Provenzano, Actors Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray, Lucas Black et al. for a wonderfully inspiring and captivating film. While there is a need for films like "Inception" in the art of film making, hopefully there will always be a place for movies like "Get Low" as well. Expand
  6. Oct 15, 2012
    Sissy Spacek she is a legend One of The Best Actress in history of hollywood. Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek and Bill Murray lend their mega-watt talents to a undemanding movie. Beautifully shot but let down by an underwhelming final act.

Though the story sometimes wanders into hazy, corny sentiment, its protagonist (called Felix Bush, which was apparently a nickname or alias of Breazeale's) is vivid, enigmatic and unpredictable.
    Get Low is deftly played, and it rarely mislays its ambling charm, but what a forbidding fable it could have been if the truth about Felix Bush, rather than emerging into sunlight, had slunk back into the woods.
  3. The period details - the cars, the clothes, the old storefronts along Main Street - are attentively described. But it's Duvall, spooky, sly, and sad, who makes all the props and the plot twists seem real.