Get Smart

7.1

1. AlexW
    Jun 27, 2008
    I was almost rolling on the movie theater floor I was laughing so hard. This movie is hilarious. Steve Carell is amazing, Alan Arkin is great, Anne Hathaway blew me away and Dwayne Johnson pulled of a great comedic role. I can't wait to buy the DVD!
  2. WillC
    Jul 18, 2008
    I enjoyed this very much. Prior to viewing I was concerned Steve Carell might play the character too slap stick. But was greatly impressed by the way he used more of his"Micheal" character from "The Office". The links in the movie to the old TV series was a great plus too.
  3. MarkD.
    Jul 24, 2008
    Steve Carrell was very good as Maxwell Smart-- he reinvented the character and has an excellent deadpan delivery. It was also awesome to see Alan Arkin in this as well. It has a fairly predictable and standard plot, but I laughed a lot, and that's what I was looking for.
  4. DanielP
    Jun 28, 2008
    Absolutely horrible. If your IQ is under 75, you may enjoy this movie. Otherwise, please do not watch this.
  5. Oct 17, 2011
    "Get Smart" is a terrible spy copy-cat movie. It does nothing right with its crude jokes, dumb action, a not-funny steve carell, stone-cold Hathaway, and homosexuality (Dwayne Johnson)?
  6. Feb 11, 2011
    The action was better than I expected. As far as the humor goes, all the scenarios that Max gets himself into are, for the most part, hilarious. Side characters supply great one-liners,too.
  7. MikeJ
    Apr 12, 2009
    Great actors, wasted on an aimless script and flimsy plot. What's more, the entire thing lacks any of the charm, wit, and unbridled silliness of the original TV show. In fact, the humor is downright dark. I would've settled for a half-baked throwback than this overcooked clinker.
  8. GE
    Nov 9, 2008
    Wow, people are so easily entertained these days! Can't believe all the 9 and 10 votes for this pretty boring movie. There were a few funny scenes, like Bill Murray as the guy in the tree, but overall . . . zzzzzzzzzz. Very predictable and just not that funny. Not as bad as Zohan, and definitely not as bad as Wild Hogs, but still pretty disappointing.
  9. JackF.
    Jun 20, 2008
    The new Maxwell Smart should have taken a clue from old Max. Steve Carell's comic talent doesn't fit. The pieces from the classic 1960 TV show are there. Not much more. This spoof action comedy is exaggerated, foolish and poorly adapted from the original. There are very few laughs. Anne Hathaway playing a sexy athletic leggy Agent 99 is about the only boost. Alan Arkin is The new Maxwell Smart should have taken a clue from old Max. Steve Carell's comic talent doesn't fit. The pieces from the classic 1960 TV show are there. Not much more. This spoof action comedy is exaggerated, foolish and poorly adapted from the original. There are very few laughs. Anne Hathaway playing a sexy athletic leggy Agent 99 is about the only boost. Alan Arkin is wasted. And could have done without the Rock. Carell is too charming and lacks the right convincing sound. Expand
  10. boba
    Jun 20, 2008
    WHAT A WASTE! My G-d! Steve carrell is still the man but the script, direction and tone were an unbelievable disappointment.
  11. bash
    Jun 20, 2008
    Utterly dull and completely humor free. Just a terrible shame the script was so off key and the direction was lame. Save your money.
  12. MLee
    Jun 20, 2008
    This movie is HORRIBLE. 90% of all the good parts are in the commercials and trailers. They even showed clips for Get Smart in the First Look before the movie even came on. Outside of what you see in the trailer, just isn't funny. This movie is a stone cold MESS
  13. NinaS.
    Jul 6, 2008
    One of the worst movies i have ever since. didn't laugh once.
  14. JonathanL.
    Jul 7, 2008
    It has been a few years since I have seen a comedy movie that had me laughing as often and as hard as Get Smart. The cast of Get Smart prove to be a huge asset in this James Bond type secret agent comedy. If you enjoyed Dumb and Dumber and other easy going comedies from the 80's and 90's, this movie will knock your socks off.
  15. JohnU
    Nov 9, 2008
    I am a fan of the original. I feel this remake did it justice. Great writing, acting, humor, special effects/stunts. It made me laugh out loud on multiple occassions. My two teenage kids really appreciated it too.
  16. BrandonS.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Basically, this film pisses on the memory of the original, infinitely superior television show.
  17. BenS.
    Jun 20, 2008
    "Get Smart" did a wonderful job of both staying true to the original series, and bringing it into the 21st century. The direction was well done and Steve Carrel was a great Maxwell Smart.
  18. JimG.
    Jun 21, 2008
    It was impossible to stop laughing while watching it. Steve Carrell played his part very well, as well as Anne Hathaway (who looked exceptionally beautiful) and the humor was both for adults and children. That might've been the best movie I've ever seen.
  19. Apr 6, 2015
    A funny movie that revolves around Carrell and his antics. The story is not great nor does it make perfect sense, but it keeps the movie moving and Carrell keeps the jokes coming.
  20. HarrisonK.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Excellent work! Very, very funny.
  21. AlexW.
    Jun 22, 2008
    The critics don't know what they are talking about. I took a chance and skipped out on Love Guru which was more hyped to go see Get Smart and i definitely made the right decision. Keeps you laughing for 90% of the movie, which is a hard thing to do with a movie as long as this (2 hours). Steve Carell was funny as hell and Get Smart is definitely a must see for this summer.
  22. PatrickC.
    Jun 22, 2008
    Great movie, very funny, perhaps a bit cheesy in some parts, but overall, a very enjoyable movie.
  23. SteveO
    Jun 30, 2008
    This is like the best movie ever compared to THE LOVE GURU which is like the worst movie ever.
  24. SuitsYou
    Jul 4, 2008
    Really cool film. Funny and actually good quality action flick too. Critics maybe taking life too seriously? Life is too serious a thing to not be made fun of!
  25. JoshuaB.
    Jul 4, 2008
    One of the funniest movies Ive seen lately. Along the lines of Dumb and Dumber type humor, it pulls comedy off of a dying style, and makes it work wonderfully.
  26. BillC.
    Aug 17, 2008
    At the end of this film I had the feeling that the makers wanted to leave the door open for perhaps a sequal or two. Sorry , but it just didn't work. It never felt right. Maybe you just can't go back? It wasn't Carells fault ,but this film never seemed to feel like anything more than a made for tv movie made to play durings a ratings week. Maybe with lots more TV hype and a At the end of this film I had the feeling that the makers wanted to leave the door open for perhaps a sequal or two. Sorry , but it just didn't work. It never felt right. Maybe you just can't go back? It wasn't Carells fault ,but this film never seemed to feel like anything more than a made for tv movie made to play durings a ratings week. Maybe with lots more TV hype and a 1 day only showing like that it would have seemed better? Or , maybe it isn't 1965 anymore and the whole spy spoof has gotten old.(remember the dreadful last Austin Powers?). Expand
  27. JohnH
    Jun 7, 2009
    This is a very excellent movie. At the beginning, you start to think this is not going to be good, but it really is a terrific hilarious movie. This is a movie that you like better after seeing it the first time, as well. I recommend everyone see the movie. It has a great cast with great characters, Max, (Agent 86) 99, the Chief, Agent 23, Laraby, and many other characters. I would also This is a very excellent movie. At the beginning, you start to think this is not going to be good, but it really is a terrific hilarious movie. This is a movie that you like better after seeing it the first time, as well. I recommend everyone see the movie. It has a great cast with great characters, Max, (Agent 86) 99, the Chief, Agent 23, Laraby, and many other characters. I would also recommend people to see the original TV show of Get Smart. It's hilarious. See this movie, and see it a second time, it is much better after seeing two times! Expand
  28. IanW.
    Jun 21, 2008
    One of the funniest movies I have ever seen, and you can hardly go half a minute without laughing, as Steve Carell does an excellent job in his role. It is ridiculous and ridiculously funny, it is a must see.
  29. CallieM.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Loved it. Great casting, hilariously funny, wonderful action scenes combined with a lovely nod to the t.v. show.
  30. PrestonM.
    Jun 26, 2008
    I laughed out loud more than once. Steve Carrel's charm shown through the average script.
  31. WalterH.
    Jul 1, 2008
    This movie will be a classic. Like Star Trek's replacement ST-TNG it is hard to fill the predecessor's shoes. This one did a nice job.
  32. WillH.
    Jul 2, 2008
    Very funny. True to Steve Carell's comedic history; perhaps funnier than the original.
  33. NicoE.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Get Smart is a hilarious movie, but not only is it funny the action scenes are top notch. The story isn't extremely deep but is cleverly crafted. you have too see this movie it is the best movie I've seen all summer.
  34. LouisH.
    Jul 6, 2008
    Get Smart Gets a 10 because it Gets me laughing, even after its over. And for those of u who don't Get this movie, Get funny, or Get bent.
  35. AlexanderMinakov
    Aug 20, 2008
    Better than expected!
  36. JonB
    Aug 3, 2008
    A few laughs and a descent plot come together to form an above average summer comedy.
  37. WilliamT.
    Nov 30, 2008
    Predictable and sometimes deadpan it may be, but Get Smart proves to be a lot more entertaining than you might expect.
  38. AmyA.
    Nov 9, 2008
    This movie had TONS of potential the cast was good but the set up of the entire movie was bad. and as someone said before me it was mostly made up of bathroom and giggly sex jokes. It have had more jokes that went father then bathroom and sex ones. all in all it was not very good and very VERY predictable.
  39. JayH.
    Oct 26, 2008
    Entertaining, but I must say I was disappointed and hoped it would capture the essense of the original TV series more than it did. Anne Hathaway si good, but Steve Carell was unimpressive.
  40. MichaelS.
    Jun 17, 2008
    Brilliant and funny from beginning to end. Blink and you'll miss one of the many 1/10 second sight gags.
  41. VeronicaM.
    Jun 19, 2008
    The reviewers are being a bit harsh. I loved the series, and found this movie to be fun from beginning to end, and I'm rather picky about "blockbusters" and comedys, they are not my preferred genre. The actors are all enjoyable, and I found myself laughing quite a bit, as did the others who saw it with me.
  42. ELC
    Jun 21, 2008
    Very enjoyable and just plain fun. Great update of the show improved humor and got rid of all the sexist undertones in the series.
  43. AmsterdamV.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Very funny. Expect for some bad fat jokes and some Bush bashing, this was quite funny. The plot was silly, but the jokes completely redeemed the weak story.
  44. EdS
    Jun 21, 2008
    I was hesittant about going to see Get Smart, the movie, since I am a huge fan of the original. I can't imagine that the movie could do justice to the work of Don Adams. Also, the 53 metacritic score was another issue, but we were desparate to see a movie and Get Smart seemed like the best option. The movie was done in such a way that it did not compete with the original and was more I was hesittant about going to see Get Smart, the movie, since I am a huge fan of the original. I can't imagine that the movie could do justice to the work of Don Adams. Also, the 53 metacritic score was another issue, but we were desparate to see a movie and Get Smart seemed like the best option. The movie was done in such a way that it did not compete with the original and was more of an homage to it. Steve Carell played the character more seriously than some of his other work which worked well (I was afraid that would try to out-Don Adams the original). There were many references to the original that were in throw away lines that worked very well. Also, Control was seemingly working for a presidential administration with many similarities to our current one. Overall a lot of clever inside jokes. The movie was good enough that I actually lauged out loud several times (sometimes I was the only one laughing in the theater). I did enjoy this movie quite a bit and would recommend this to others who remember the original. The current 53 Metascore seems low for this movie. I can only assume that most of those reviews were done by those who didn't watch the TV series. Expand
  45. CodyB.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Absolutely hilarious. It was much much better than I thought it would be. Steve Carell made this movie successful. Movie critics are so stuck on themselves that they have forgotten how to enjoy a movie. Its too bad because there are a lot of great shows out there that are really good, including Get Smart, and they are missing the boat.
  46. AndrewO.
    Jun 22, 2008
    It probably seemed a lot better than it actually was because every other movie this summer has been horrible (happening, strangers, love geru, hulk)
  47. JudyT
    Jun 22, 2008
    Not smart enough to be funny. A few laughs mostly from side characters. Steve Carrell Maxwell Smart is dumb and agent 99 is whiny.
  48. MikeW.
    Jun 22, 2008
    Funny, but sort of a let-down. Not Steve's funniest work.
  49. EvanB.
    Jun 20, 2008
    I just saw this movie tonight and it was by far the funniest movie of the year! Look for a surprise appearance from Bill Murray!!!
  50. EricO.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Great fun, light movie, good for a laugh... very good adaptation of the old show.
  51. JosephA.
    Hysterical and exciting.
  52. ChrisH.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Was surprised by this one. While not quite Get Smart of the 60s, it was a fun movie.
  53. JulieV.
    Jul 12, 2008
    Steve Carell is 100% hilarious and a real action man. The comedy is nicely timed and not overdone. It is subtle mixed in with slap stick with enough bang to make you laugh aloud not just chuckle here and there. Not normally a fan of Hathaway but she does a great job as 99. Alan Arkin is on fire and hope to see him in Get Smart II with HYMIE.
    Jul 14, 2008
    It was funny and very entertaining. The world is probably doomed if the secret agents work like that. The terrorist wouldn't really be any better though.
  55. MartinS.
    Jul 14, 2008
    This movie had some inspired moments but it also had some formulaic moments in it as well. I thought the espionage segments were well done however the ending was typical Hollywood drivel, with every one of the good guys triumphing in the end. The catch phrases from the show were not only poorly delivered and completely unnecessary with the exception of the "Chuch Norris" line. Overall the This movie had some inspired moments but it also had some formulaic moments in it as well. I thought the espionage segments were well done however the ending was typical Hollywood drivel, with every one of the good guys triumphing in the end. The catch phrases from the show were not only poorly delivered and completely unnecessary with the exception of the "Chuch Norris" line. Overall the movie was just okay which is too bad. I thought we had a winner here. Expand
  56. JamesL.
    Jul 17, 2008
    This movie is one of the best Steve Carell movie ever. He is so funny in that movie. He is comedy as gold and with the slapstick in that movie will keep laughing. All the actor have done a great job in this.
  57. KentD.
    Jul 18, 2008
    Great "Flash Back" to a very funny TV series I grew up with. I thought the movie was a well done. Special effects were "Good" if not "Great". The punch lines were well placed. Even the flash back and the "shoe phone" was good. Didn't get the driving the small car out of CONTROL and then running out of gas. Ms Hathaway was GREAT as 99 and very easy to look at. She carried the support Great "Flash Back" to a very funny TV series I grew up with. I thought the movie was a well done. Special effects were "Good" if not "Great". The punch lines were well placed. Even the flash back and the "shoe phone" was good. Didn't get the driving the small car out of CONTROL and then running out of gas. Ms Hathaway was GREAT as 99 and very easy to look at. She carried the support role perfect. VERY FUNNY. Go see it or buy it on DVD. It's a keeper. Expand
  58. RonaldS.
    Jul 2, 2008
    The people who said this movie was humorfree should try sitting in the theatre next time, instead of in the bathroom reading the graffiti.. this movie had me rolling in tears, especially the bathroom/package scene.. heh.
  59. MarkB.
    Jul 24, 2008
    At this point, Steve Carell can do no wrong. His on-screen sweetness and vulnerability (along with the incomparable Catherine Keener's terrific work) made his breakthrough movie, The 40 Year Old Virgin, not just a very funny raunchfest but a surprisingly affecting romance with characters you really rooted for; on his TV series The Office, his Michael Scott is amazingly gauche and At this point, Steve Carell can do no wrong. His on-screen sweetness and vulnerability (along with the incomparable Catherine Keener's terrific work) made his breakthrough movie, The 40 Year Old Virgin, not just a very funny raunchfest but a surprisingly affecting romance with characters you really rooted for; on his TV series The Office, his Michael Scott is amazingly gauche and clueless, but he makes you understand why Jan (Melora Walters) falls for him anyway, even though by all standards he spent a lot of time sexually harassing her. Carell made his two 2007 films, the somewhat overblown special effects comedy Evan Almighty and the not-quite-as-adult-as-it-thinks-it-is comedy-drama Dan In reeal life, far more watchable than they would've been without him. Pauline Kael's description of Austin Pendleton's fugitive anarchist in Billy Wilder's 1974 version of The Front Page as a rabbit on the railroad tracks paralyzed by the oncoming train fits Carell perfectly, and that's why casting him in Don Adams' role as the eager but inept secret agent Maxwell Smart in this filmization of the beloved 1960s sitcom is a stroke of genius. Adams, while amusing, was also deliberately stilted and not quite recognizably human, effectively parodying a square-jawed hero type by playing him not so much as a caricature but as an abstraction; Carell brings the humanity. More problematic is Anne Hathaway in Barbara Feldon's role as Agent 99, although it's not Hathaway's fault; she's a charming actress who can play somewhat unlikable characters, as she proved as Jake Gyllenhaal's somewhat shallow wife in Brokeback Mountain, but through most of this movie she's required to display utter contempt for Max. Even allowing for the fact that the big-screen Get Smart, like the first installments of most comic book superhero movies, is an origin story, it's too much and too unpleasant a departure from what made Feldon's characterization so winning: while Agent 99 was far more skilled at her job than Agent 86 was, she stepped back and let him think he was better than he was because she adored him. (And by the way, Feldon occupies a unique, almost singular niche as virtually the only 1960s sex symbol to be one entirely through charm, personality and THAT VOICE rather than revealing attire; correct me if I'm wrong, but through the entire run of the series, I don't think Feldon ever even bared her shoulders.) Nevertheless, the movie is mostly good if undemanding fun; director Peter Segal (The Naked Gun 33 1/3, The Nutty Professor 2: The Klumps) isn't a comic visionary like Frank Tashlin or Blake Edwards; he's more of a Norman Taurog, a competent pro who puts established stars through their paces and knows where to put the camera while doing so. (However, I'd still rather sit through any of Taurog's lazy, late-career Elvis musicals than any of Segal's Adam Sandler movies again; Anger Management, 50 First Dates and The Longest Yard seemed to bring out the worst in both of them.) Segal orchestrates both comedy and action scenes well, gets enjoyable performances from Alan Arkin, David Koechner and a wonderfully droll The Ro--er, Dwayne Johnson, and stages a delightful dance sequence that will leave those of us who don't look like supermodels (that is, about 99.9% of us) beaming. And since, by the time Get Smart ends, it FINALLY gets the Max/99 relationship RIGHT, it promises that relative Hollywood rarity: an even better sequel! Expand
  60. DavidS.
    Jul 5, 2008
    I was a bit of a fan of Get Smart on TV and was unsure about the movie, however I think they pulled it off very well. Some parts I had tears in my eyes from laughing so much. Light hearted entertainment very enjoyable non thinking movie.
  61. VanessaM.
    Aug 25, 2008
    A fun, laugh-out-loud movie, but not one of Steve Carrell's best. I really enjoyed this movie and was thoroughly entertained for the hour and a half after coming out of the movie theater, however, after seeing such films like "iron man" and ESPECIALLY "the dark knight", my complete interest in this movie has gone. it has it's funny moments, and sometimes is a little too retarded A fun, laugh-out-loud movie, but not one of Steve Carrell's best. I really enjoyed this movie and was thoroughly entertained for the hour and a half after coming out of the movie theater, however, after seeing such films like "iron man" and ESPECIALLY "the dark knight", my complete interest in this movie has gone. it has it's funny moments, and sometimes is a little too retarded for the kind of "action" genre it was aiming for, however is enjoyable. I'm not sure how much i liked the cast however. I loved Steve Carrell and Alan Arkin, but the rest just didn't fit right. The romance between Carrell and Hathaway was just forced and awkward and weird... and well, was just not there! So they could've done better with that. I don't know, not my favorite and i don't count on buying it when it comes out, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't see it. SEE THE DARK KNIGHT! It will blow your freaking mind! Expand
  62. PatriciaS.
    Sep 19, 2008
    I thought this film was very entertaining, and pretty funny.
  63. JasonH
    Oct 13, 2009
    Steve is a comedic master of portraying immersive believable reactions in the heat of unbelievable situations. Comedy that doesn't beat you over the head and rewards the viewer who notices its subtleties is true comedy, and this movie is mostly that.
  64. GavinC
    Jul 28, 2009
    Not the best, though it is still quite thrilling and funny.
  65. ScottQ.
    Nov 15, 2008
    I give it a 4 for about 4 really funny scenes and only funny scenes in the movie. The bathroom part on the plane with Carrel was just hilarious. The movie as a whole was a complete mess and overall not funny. I love Carrel but did not love this movie, sucked.
  66. AronJ.
    Dec 1, 2008
    This movie is nothing short of fun, and hilarious. Carrell at this best. The actors clicked, the story made sense, and a very well directed movie.
  67. BrentK.
    Oct 29, 2008
    I work for Blockbuster so I got this movie on DVD early. It's a funny movie. Weak plot at some points, but sacrificed for the laughs. Watching it with the bonus scenes adds a lot of time and some mediocre chuckles. basic comedy, characters play their roles well for a comedy.
  68. MichaelJ.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Absolutely outstanding cast. Perfect balance of comedy, action, and gadgetry. Very well done. And while it may not satisfy the diehard Get Smart fan, the other 90% of us will undoubtedly enjoy this film.
  69. Gabo
    Jun 21, 2008
    It is not an Oscar winner, but at the end delivers in what it promises: a silly comedy with a good number of laughs, and solid entertainment! It could've been a little shorter but all in all, I enjoyed it.
  70. ChadS.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Remaking "Tennessee Tuxedo" might've been the more meliorative idea than pumping some parodic comedy with a light touch such as "Get Smart" with steroidal action. Penguins are still a hot commodity. Bono could play the walrus, again. "Get Smart" finds the right balance of action and comedy when Max(Steve Carell) and Agent 99(Anne Hathaway) are overseas infiltrating KAOS, but when the Remaking "Tennessee Tuxedo" might've been the more meliorative idea than pumping some parodic comedy with a light touch such as "Get Smart" with steroidal action. Penguins are still a hot commodity. Bono could play the walrus, again. "Get Smart" finds the right balance of action and comedy when Max(Steve Carell) and Agent 99(Anne Hathaway) are overseas infiltrating KAOS, but when the secret agents return to the states, they separate, and the film loses momentum. There's also a miscalculation of what "Get Smart" needs, as the comedic half of the formula gets framed and hijacked by a storyline that is too large in scale. This nude bomb doesn't merely strip you of your clothes, but it'll melt your skin and tear the flesh from your bones, as well. "Get Smart" is caught in no man's land. It makes the mistake of being an event film. The audience wants more banter between Carrell and Hathaway, not a rehash of Phil Alden Robinson's "The Sum of All Fears". Expand
  71. MarkT.
    Jun 21, 2008
    I would give this movie an 8. I am a fan of the original, and of Steve Carell, and now certainly of Anne Hathaway. There were a lot of nice nods to the 60's series that never went over board or tried to be too obvious. I completely forgot about Agent 13 and the cameo was wonderful. What amazes me is that the "professional critics" rated this 1 point lower than "You Don't Mess I would give this movie an 8. I am a fan of the original, and of Steve Carell, and now certainly of Anne Hathaway. There were a lot of nice nods to the 60's series that never went over board or tried to be too obvious. I completely forgot about Agent 13 and the cameo was wonderful. What amazes me is that the "professional critics" rated this 1 point lower than "You Don't Mess With The Zohan" which I would rate about a 25. If you had to choose between the two, choose Get Smart. Expand
  72. AW
    Jun 22, 2008
    Funny writing and a fun movie all around. Great Summer fare.
  73. Jan
    Jun 22, 2008
    Very funny movie! I laughed out loud many times, and so did the rest of the audience. Steve Carell is a favorite of mine and I'm hoping this will be a hit for him!
  74. RobertB
    Jun 22, 2008
    The casting of this movie was simply brilliant! Took my three kids to see it, and we couldn't stop laughing and quoting parts of the for hours afterwards. Steve Carell was a perfect replacement for Don Adams! Was it campy? Yes. Was the plot deep and thoughtful? No. Was is really funny? YES! If you loved the original Get Smart, then this lovingly crafted homage will appeal to you as The casting of this movie was simply brilliant! Took my three kids to see it, and we couldn't stop laughing and quoting parts of the for hours afterwards. Steve Carell was a perfect replacement for Don Adams! Was it campy? Yes. Was the plot deep and thoughtful? No. Was is really funny? YES! If you loved the original Get Smart, then this lovingly crafted homage will appeal to you as well (especially given all the cameos by original cast members). Expand
  75. ChrisE
    Jun 27, 2008
    HILARIOUS! At first I was a little iffy going in.. But i LOVED it.
  76. MikhailR
    Jun 29, 2008
    I walked into this movie with relatively low expectations, but they were easily shattered. I laughed basically every other minute, and quite strongly too! This movie is unbelievable, truly one of the funniest and SMARTEST comedies I've seen in a LONG time.
  77. JC
    Jul 11, 2008
    Ken Davitian, Dalip Singh, Steve Carell, Anne Hathaway, Dwayne Johnson, Terry Crews and David Koechner in the same movie. It's great! Has a great blend of action and comedy in it!
  78. JoshuaL.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Classic Steve Carell in this movie. Was funny and fruitful while still having all the action.
  79. easymac
    Aug 24, 2008
    Wasn't a bad movie as the avg critics score leads you to believe. Go with the user opinions. Better than Tropic Thunder. S Carell isn't as annoying as Stiller of J Black.
  80. KarenW.
    Sep 14, 2008
    When I was young, I was a fan of the series, and this made me howl with laughter as an adult. It had enough references to the TV show that those of us in the know got the jokes, but it didn't overdo it so it became too hip for its own good for those unfamiliar with the show's buzzwords. There was some extremely hip humor--- an aging-gracefully Alan Arkin as the Chief correcting When I was young, I was a fan of the series, and this made me howl with laughter as an adult. It had enough references to the TV show that those of us in the know got the jokes, but it didn't overdo it so it became too hip for its own good for those unfamiliar with the show's buzzwords. There was some extremely hip humor--- an aging-gracefully Alan Arkin as the Chief correcting the President's mispronunciation of the word "nuclear" (thank God somebody finally did this) or Smart hanging precariously from an airplane banner advertising a suicide hot line. There's some triumph of the nerds to the plot as well --- benched field agents can't cope with computer windows, and Smart, depicted as a one-time analyst, talks his way out of a dangerous situation by recognizing the villain from a recorded conversation and telling him how to fix his relationship problems. Stever Carell deadpans perfectly, and Anne Hathaway has the understated, slightly goofy allure of the original Agent 99. I hesitated to see this because I thought, "Oh, no, another knock-off of an old TV show," but my son insisted, and it turned out to be something that had the entire family in stitches without being offensive on any level. Considering that The Dark Knight, which glorified violence, had the same rating, one has to be wondering what the MPAA is thinking. Expand
  81. AnyaT.
    May 22, 2009
    When I first sat down to watch Get Smart I had absolutely no idea what it was about, but I had low expectations. I expected it to be the usual dumb comedy fare. I was pleasantly delighted that instead I got a deadpan, engaging, smart and hilarious film, with action and adventure and a great cast. It was also the film that introduced me to the myriad pleasures of Steve Carell. One of my When I first sat down to watch Get Smart I had absolutely no idea what it was about, but I had low expectations. I expected it to be the usual dumb comedy fare. I was pleasantly delighted that instead I got a deadpan, engaging, smart and hilarious film, with action and adventure and a great cast. It was also the film that introduced me to the myriad pleasures of Steve Carell. One of my favourite comedies and such a pleasant surprise. Expand
  82. AdamA
    Nov 18, 2008
    Don't look for a remake, look for a lighthearted homage and you just might find it enjoyable.
  83. Aug 27, 2010
    The set up is perfect, but for being an almost two hour film, the laughs are pretty sparse, and Steve Carell seems to be sleepwalking through his role.
  84. CRL
    Aug 9, 2011
    Get Smart blends plenty of spontaneously funny moments and clever, witty jokes with solid performances from Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway to make easily one of the more hilarious comedies I've ever seen.
  85. Apr 11, 2012
    Difficile de ne pas comparer Max la Menace à son homologue britannique Johnny English, tant les deux font sans l'ombre d'un doute la paire! Deux agents secrets novices qui se vantent, sans pour autant arrêter la déferlante de gags. Tout cela pour nous divertir! Et il fallait admettre que cela marchait avec English. Avec Max la Menace, c'est pareil! ADifficile de ne pas comparer Max la Menace à son homologue britannique Johnny English, tant les deux font sans l'ombre d'un doute la paire! Deux agents secrets novices qui se vantent, sans pour autant arrêter la déferlante de gags. Tout cela pour nous divertir! Et il fallait admettre que cela marchait avec English. Avec Max la Menace, c'est pareil! A la différence que l'on sent ici le produit américain, qui n'hésite pas à user d'un humour parfois pipi caca (et en dessous de la ceinture) qui ne rate pourtant rarement son objectif, et qui possède un côté plus spectaculaire question action (la poursuite finale). Bref, amusant et distrayant. Expand
  86. HMW
    Mar 8, 2012
    This movie had everything, action, mystery, and nonstop comedy. All the actors worked well together and were great spies! Steve and Anne worked well together as well as th rest of the cast. Highly recommended!
  87. Sep 1, 2014
    A few good laughs and a few good smiles. Honestly, that's all I was looking for. Get Smart is not meant to be a quality piece of filmmaking--rather a light, mild-actioned flick starring two likable actors, Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway.
  88. Jul 18, 2012
    I was in need of a laugh so I decided to watch Get Smart and to be honest I didn
  89. Nov 15, 2012
    Get Smart is great fun, made so by an awesome cast. Carrell and Arkin are just being themselves here, but they fit in so perfectly.
  90. Sep 29, 2013
    A silly movie with nice visuals and an atmosphere that is harmless. It is extremely fun to watch, and all the characters are just like he TV show in the 60's. Steve Carrel is perfect for the role, and many scenes are hilarious as he uses some classic Maxwell Smart catchphrases.
  91. Jul 19, 2015
    My family still quotes 'Get Smart' to this day. Nowhere near a gross-out comedy like the comedies that are coming out these days. It is both entertaining and hilarious at nearly every moment.
  92. Nov 13, 2013
    Get Smart stays stupid.
    The entire movie feels like a bad joke. Carrell isn't funny, Hathaway does nothing, and Dwayne Johnson is well, Dwayne Johnson. The action is pathetic and the "spy" aspect does nothing for the movie and its terrible script.
  93. Dec 19, 2014
    Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway's charm make "Get Smart" worth viewing, but the movie eventually collapses through predictable gags and uninspiring action.
  94. Jul 8, 2014
    Get Smart was an absolutely fantastic movie! It is filled with action, a TON of comedy, and suspense that will leave you breathless. The visual and special effects on this movie is a definite crowd pleaser. The actors were superbly phenomenal and were well-suited for their parts. Great movie, great actors, great effects, great storyboard, and a great pleasure to watch!

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    In this distressingly generic spy spoof, it's not Maxwell who's clueless, but the filmmakers.
  2. This is a slap-dash effort whose producers threw money and stunts onscreen instead of the satirical gags and one-liners that made the old spy spoof so memorable.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    Helmer Peter Segal's formulaic takeoff is neither fish nor fowl, not quite faithful to the show, but not quite bringing it into the 21st century either.